G-Major 35

I've just submitted, Cyrus, won in BCs, made loads of mistakes, should've finished like 1000 years earlier. Hope I'm not late. No chouses, no feudalism, no Oracle.

It's "Not Checked" yet, so no celebrations for now. This was my 2nd attempt, first was ruined by RND, played in 1 day. I made loads of mistakes, and still was able to win - this just tells you shouldn't have dismissed chariot rush.

It's "Not Checked" yet, so no celebrations for now. This was my 2nd attempt, first was ruined by RND, played in 1 day. I made loads of mistakes, and still was able to win - this just tells you shouldn't have dismissed chariot rush.
"... STRATEGY ... STRATEGY ... we cry for a deeper STRATEGY ..." :cry:

Well, it is Accepted, and I don't have time for another run (although it took less than 4 hours) - so feel free to.

From my Inca experience I knew that early rush is totally feasible at small maps. So I had a choice of three early rush races: Persia, Egypt, Rome (Sumeria unit and UB especially are also fine, but I do not like the leader). I got tired of Rome in WOTM18, although it is the only race not dependant on cutting off enemy metal, and Egypt WCs are weaker against archers and still don't beat swords and spears. Furthermore, Egyptian traits (except Creative) were useless to me - I might have wanted to run a few turns of anarchy to avoid strike, so Spiritual would've been a drawback. So Persia it was, and believeing production and promotion to be more vital for success than commerce and upkeep, I choose Cyrus (Chm for happy - good for larger cities and pop-rush - and promotions; Imperialistic was of little use, as I built 2 settlers, and could've avoided even this, having horses in my BFC) over Darius (Fin and Org). Also Persia starts with proper techs - Hunting and Agri. Finally, I like Immortals much more than WCs due to their defensive bonus.

Opponents: Asoka and Gandhi (as the least militarised religion-oriented guys), Fred, Roosevelt. I avoided Protective, Aggressive, Creative (extra border growth), Charismatic (happy and promoted), Financial (fast development) and Imperialistic (fast expansion, many cities) opponents.

The strategy is simple (100% vanilla style) - get a start with gold and couple of food resources (pigs are the best) and forest, get a worker (in BtS AI start with 1 worker, so chances to grab it early are slim), then warrior for worker stealing, then grow to 3 while building barracks, settler or two (or none, if you have horses at BFC and no good spots to start onslaught right away), finish barracks, Immortals ftw. Gold will help you with liquidity crunch once you grabalot.
Techs: AH, mining, wheel, BW, Pottery (optional), Wri, Alpha, Maths with GS, Construction, also took Calendar for peace which helped a lot with my WW.

Offensive - started early, stole worker with warrior, built 3 Immortals, waited for Gandhi to send 2 archers with settler and tooke the holy Hindu City. Same with capital, then destroyed 2 more cities and ceasefired with his crappy remaining city having 4 archers on defence. Important note - Gandhi didn't have BW (I saw from Espionage points) until late, so he couldn't pop-rush defenders.

The went for Asoka, taking his only city with Bronze on the 3rd turn of war, so that he had some axes, but no spears. Captured two more, destroyed the rest, picked several techs for peace and wanted to go for Fred - but made a stupid blunder, demanding tribute before war and forcing a 10-turn peace. Killed Gandhi and launched an attack on Rosevelt who had copper in his capital, destroying 3 cities, but losing immense hordes of units - this was the key screw-up which cost me great number of turns. I had to wage war, though, as without capturing cities and losing units I'd've went bankrupt in 3-4 turns. Then I painfully squeezed out Construction, finished Fred, got redeclared by Roose and finished him off with catapult-immortal-sword force.

The war and settling the emptied space put enemy development back quite a bit: at finish only 3 religions were discovered, wonders built - Henge, Oracle, GLhouse, GWall, HG, Artemis.

Thx for sharing your strategy :goodjob:, nevertheless I think I won't give it a try. It sounds like you have to run MF for quite some time and give several maps a go.

It was my 4th map, runing maps took like half an hour. On 2 maps I was far away from AI - no swift attacks, high upkeep, etc. 1 map I failed at the 1st city due to RNG. So you still have time, I think.

This Gauntlet is complete. Results:

G-Major 35 - Small, Deity, Epic, Conquest
1st Lexad 215 BC
2nd ozbenno 1495 AD
3rd karmina 1580 AD

Congratulations!
Hey Lexad, I think I should contact WADA :lol:
Congrats - amazing result :king:

bummer I thought i could submit on the 10 th as well
I had a 1190 AD conquest victiry with Rome.
I think it is my first conquest victory with civ 4
I am not as fast as Lexad and i usually keep more cities so i get a domination victory instead.

Thanx, it was fun.

Top Bottom