View Full Version : Americans- Unfare Advantage?

Communisto
Sep 19, 2004, 02:36 PM
Is it just me or are the Americans in TaP unfairly dominant i mean First wonder built insantly? what the hell! Free govs, automatically one scholar +3 food, timber, metal AND wealth for every non scout barracks unit! It's so weird! that's a huge mistake on the game's part

Amenhotep7
Sep 20, 2004, 05:23 AM
Well how else is America supposed to become a superpower.:mischief:

Altho I agree, it is a little...breakable...

LLXerxes
Sep 20, 2004, 07:24 PM
In RL they are pretty good, at most things :p
But, they are just sweet. :D

(BTW, you can simply not use them in a game)

AxelUnknown111
Oct 20, 2004, 05:39 PM
I think that sounds like a little much for one country. But then again, America is a superpower by a pretty good margin. I guess the makers of the game are trying to make it as relistic as possible. (They may have gone a little overbored though)

How much of an advantage do they have in the begining of the game, like the Ancient Era or the Gunpowder????

deo
Oct 30, 2004, 05:52 AM
Americans created this game ;)

LLXerxes
Oct 30, 2004, 06:16 AM
Americans created this game ;)
point?
Americans created Civ, and in CIv3 the americans stink

Sargon of Agade
Oct 31, 2004, 04:49 PM
I think the Americans do get a little too much of an advantage from the enlightenment age on. I would either curb the resource per barrack unit to 1 or 2, or have it go to citizens, because you have alot of citizens but there just seems so much to abuse with the barrack units gathering for free like that. I would get rid of the first wonder built instantly thing, and give tem a boost to the metal and oil commerce cap... Hopefully some balancing will be done with a patch, if they do patch it I think they should give India more UUs, I just don't see how they would be any good at this piont... Buts thats another subject.

covok48
Dec 21, 2004, 01:56 PM
I agree. I usually avoid playing them because they have such an advantage, but until the gunpowder age they are fair game still.

Ulrich.forever
May 27, 2005, 06:28 PM
The Americans, though they are a superpower in real life, are much to powerful in game. The game should have all civs at the same chance to win any one game.

FuRRie
Jun 22, 2005, 03:03 PM
Use Egypt and see Americans getting pwnd :)

dreamnexus
Jul 05, 2005, 05:14 PM
americans are good, but romans are much better.

dojoboy
Jul 07, 2005, 06:40 PM
americans are good, but romans are much better.

You'll have to post your reasons for why you think this. I'm going to need convincing. How well can the Romans' bonuses exploit other nations' weaknesses?

dreamnexus
Jul 08, 2005, 07:10 PM
You'll have to post your reasons for why you think this. I'm going to need convincing. How well can the Romans' bonuses exploit other nations' weaknesses?

well i like the romans because they're good for so many different things:

1) They are awesome for rushing (the praetorians guards are deadly)
2) Early gold means that u can put a barracks up early (with ur timber) and send about 3-4 archers (timber and gold) to raid around 4 mins w/o it having any neg effect on ur ability to boom.
3) Wealth is never a problem, so they are good boomers as well. some people will point out that americans get +3 metal, etc for every barracks unit, but thats not an issue when i play with the romans because my economy is always maxed out.
4) With the romans i out boomed the american computer on tougher and annihalted him. And with the romans, i forced armageddon against a toughest American computer (should've won that game, but made a couple of critical mistakes)

but i guess its just whichever nation u're used to. But the main thing is, typically u can tell what a person is going to do when he picks a nation but with the romans, they're good at both rushing and booming, so u don't know what you're gonna get.

dojoboy
Jul 08, 2005, 11:08 PM
well i like the romans because they're good for so many different things:

1) They are awesome for rushing (the praetorians guards are deadly)
2) Early gold means that u can put a barracks up early (with ur timber) and send about 3-4 archers (timber and gold) to raid around 4 mins w/o it having any neg effect on ur ability to boom.
3) Wealth is never a problem, so they are good boomers as well. some people will point out that americans get +3 metal, etc for every barracks unit, but thats not an issue when i play with the romans because my economy is always maxed out.
4) With the romans i out boomed the american computer on tougher and annihalted him. And with the romans, i forced armageddon against a toughest American computer (should've won that game, but made a couple of critical mistakes)

but i guess its just whichever nation u're used to. But the main thing is, typically u can tell what a person is going to do when he picks a nation but with the romans, they're good at both rushing and booming, so u don't know what you're gonna get.

Sounds like you're a much better player than I am. My best efforts have been wins on tough 1v1 and tougher 2v2, SP only. I rarely rush, prefering to build/defend before aggressively going after the enemy.

Telvanni
Jul 19, 2005, 03:59 AM
You should remember that they were'nt included in the original game, reason: Because they only wanted the greatest nations of all time to be in the game! ;) That's hillarious! of course alot o' U.S.-players got weird cause of that reason, and they complained. So maybe it's like an excuse??
The thing that counter the American bonuses, is the common dislike of anyone über, so eventually players will team up against em'! :king:

gimhalos
Jan 02, 2006, 07:39 PM
Nah.... it's bantu u gotta watch out for... Americans may have extra resources... but I've managed to get +999 to everything without them several times.... the wonder isn't a big deal, govt stuff doesn't cost a whole lot.

What really sucks is when Bantu knock on your door with an army 3 times the size of yours.

warix
Jan 09, 2006, 08:29 AM
The bantu drop like flies though - a coupole well placed cannons and they're all over the place. However, to the US thing, they are defidently an economic superpower, but offensively a little weak. Get them early and you'll hae the upper hand. Especially if you lvl up right before them.

Military Strategy will neat the US time and time again. If you can't take em early, at least raid they're resources.

Egypt, the Romans, and the Bantu are good against the Americans.

xyourxmomxcorex
Jan 09, 2006, 08:45 PM
The Americans, though they are a superpower in real life, are much to powerful in game. The game should have all civs at the same chance to win any one game.
Not really. In RON, games, nations have much greater spefic agvantages then in CIV.

Tank_Guy#3
Jan 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
Well how else is America supposed to become a superpower.:mischief:

Altho I agree, it is a little...breakable...

By following my way to power, an army several times larger than my enemy and grind him into oblivion. Or just nuke the hell out of them (yes I know about the Armageddon Countdown).

chanman
Feb 07, 2006, 01:29 PM
The Chinese ability to pop out settlers (is that what they're still called) instantly comes in pretty dang handy too - been a while since I've played RoN.

Tekee
Aug 27, 2006, 01:17 PM
Dang I know Americans seem to have a little much
And yes they were only an Expansion pack unit since they did want only greatest Civilizations of *all* time;)
Hmm is there a patch out? Or do they just seem super strong

Winner372
Sep 02, 2006, 07:55 PM
Americans dont have an unfair advantage. As a matter of fact, there ground units or special units are no better then regular units, American light infantry has less stats then the average light infantry. And for the one wonder built instantly, theres tons of wonders, the colossus is only one wonder, There are other great wonders like the effil tower, angkor wakt, Versailles, Coloseaum.

Norseman2
Sep 04, 2006, 04:56 PM
If an enemy plays America, all you need to do is play Germany. They counter America in almost every way. They get some nice economic advantages, and then as soon as you get to the age where America is a superpower, Germany likewise is the counter. The Tiger and Leopard tanks are more powerful against infantry than regular tanks, and the MG-42 is even more powerful than a regular machine gun at killing infantry (naturally, America will have a lot of infantry), Germany gets free fighters (counters the American free bombers), an they make submarines quicker and cheaper (counters the cheap carriers for the US). Basically, everthing that makes America strong is what makes Germany strong against it.

jguy100
Sep 05, 2006, 06:47 PM
From my experience, America is the "best" civilization when you are ahead of everyone else. When the enemies are an age behind you, your massive armies of infantry who help your economy will over-run your enemy.

But on a more level playing ground, the Americans do not fare as well. As stated before, tanks over-run the infantry like butter. Unit for unit, they are not the best.