View Full Version : Civ 3 Savegame Editor v0.32 beta

Erik Tan
Nov 25, 2001, 12:27 AM
Updated 12-Dec-2001

1. Edit game date.
2. Edit tech. advances (All Civilization)
3. Edit City Info (Sort by Civilization)

ET

v0.23 deleted after 890 downloads.
v0.30 deleted after 314 downloads.

Download latest version v0.32 at
http://home.pacific.net.sg/~eriktan

NOTE: This utility is NOT maintained! It doesn't work with PTW or Conquests, not Civ3 v 1.29f

Gramphos
Nov 25, 2001, 08:29 AM
So now there are three tools that can edit savegames...

Erik Tan
Nov 25, 2001, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Gramphos

My aim to consolidate all the functions into a comprehensive tool.

Erik

Gramphos
Nov 25, 2001, 02:59 PM
One problem is if people start edition GOTM to cheat.

drewgood
Nov 29, 2001, 05:15 PM
Whenever I experiment and check off a box for a technology and then load the game, Civ III crashes...

What are the check boxes for?

Erik Tan
Nov 29, 2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by drewgood
Whenever I experiment and check off a box for a technology and then load the game, Civ III crashes...

What are the check boxes for?

Hi,
The checkboxes are for you to turn technology on or off. In case you accidently check all the technology for one era and the system does not allow you to progress.

Remember to leave at least one technology in each era unchecked.

The civ game usually crashes when there is not enough memory resource. Does it still crash when you restart the computer?

Thanks for you feedback.

Erik

joespaniel
Dec 02, 2001, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to say thanks. Great stuff. Cant wait for the city editor.:goodjob:

Erik Tan
Dec 03, 2001, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by joespaniel
Just wanted to say thanks. Great stuff. Cant wait for the city editor.:goodjob:

Hi,

The version v0.30 of the editor can be downloaded at

Enjoy
Erik

Thunderfall
Dec 03, 2001, 10:24 AM
Erik, do you know you can edit your first post to replace the attachment with a new version of the program? You can also delete old attachments yourself by editing the post.

It's a good idea to delete obsolete versions from the posts so people can download the latest version.

KALIROB2k2
Dec 05, 2001, 05:34 AM
Hmm hey Erik it seems I am having a few problems using your utility. When loading the game the Windows XP error report came up and closed the game. All I adjusted was the Tech and that might be the problem? I backed up the game so I managed to try again and it happens once again, any ideas?

KloePoek
Dec 05, 2001, 06:00 AM
really nice work :goodjob:

although i wonder, can you make it so that we can edit the techs for an AI civ, instead of just for your own civ??

Erik Tan
Dec 05, 2001, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by KALIROB2k2
Hmm hey Erik it seems I am having a few problems using your utility. When loading the game the Windows XP error report came up and closed the game. All I adjusted was the Tech and that might be the problem? I backed up the game so I managed to try again and it happens once again, any ideas?

I wrote the editor in Windows 98 and it works fine. If it is having some problem, I would guess that Windows 98 and Windows XP file handling mehod are different and it results in this problem.

Is there any other XP users that are facing the same problem?

Erik

Erik Tan
Dec 05, 2001, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by KloePoek
really nice work :goodjob:

although i wonder, can you make it so that we can edit the techs for an AI civ, instead of just for your own civ??

Already working on it, but it will take some time. I need to totally revamp the code again.

Erik

KALIROB2k2
Dec 05, 2001, 03:40 PM
Hey Erik, seems you might be on to something with the Windows Xp thing (or just mine :lol:), I just tried the editor on my girlfriends compter(WinME). The editor works fine, but I didnt test my theory yet, I am getting on that later, but I got to thinking that perhaps the problem was when I changed the Techs I shouldnt have changed the one that my Science team was currently researching? Perhaps its just an XP bug? Maybe thats not it but it just got me thinking.

Erik Tan
Dec 07, 2001, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by KALIROB2k2
Hey Erik, seems you might be on to something with the Windows Xp thing (or just mine :lol:), I just tried the editor on my girlfriends compter(WinME). The editor works fine, but I didnt test my theory yet, I am getting on that later, but I got to thinking that perhaps the problem was when I changed the Techs I shouldnt have changed the one that my Science team was currently researching? Perhaps its just an XP bug? Maybe thats not it but it just got me thinking.

Windows XP Problem

NOTE: If you are having problems running the game under Windows XP, the first thing you may wish to try is to run the game in Compatibility Mode. To do this, right-click on the icon or Start Menu entry you use to run the game, then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, check the box that reads "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", and select the OS that you wish to activate compatibility for in the drop-down box. Click the OK button to save your changes, and try running the game again.

foot_corn
Dec 08, 2001, 06:02 AM
Hi, I think your editor is great! :)

I was curious is it's possible to edit victory conditions of a savegame file?

every so often I find that I want to play longer than originally intended if the game is going quite well.

what do you think?
thanks !

Gramphos
Dec 08, 2001, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by foot_corn
Hi, I think your editor is great! :)
I was curious is it's possible to edit victory conditions of a savegame file?
You can do that with Civ3CopyTool's SaveGame Editor.

foot_corn
Dec 09, 2001, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the referral Gramphos :)

I've noticed that when I try bumping up tech using Eric's editor I am unable to build the UN and also am unable to build any space craft modules.

Is there a certain date that these options are available?
Has anyone else run into similar problems?

(just incase this is the problem, I changed my victory conditions of my save game from domination to conquest using Civ3CopyTool's SaveGame Editor)

thanks

KALIROB2k2
Dec 09, 2001, 08:26 PM
Actually foot corn I have had that problem and I dont think it has to do with the editor :( might just be another Civ3 bug that the game has become famously plagued with.

Erik Tan
Dec 12, 2001, 12:31 AM
New update v 0.32 available

Erik

Baron Rakkan
Dec 12, 2001, 08:21 AM
I have a question? Will you create also a new Version of your great editor, with whom you can change your budget?

Realm
Jan 07, 2002, 09:52 AM
what exactly are you going to do with that unit tab in the editor?

KALIROB2k2
Jan 07, 2002, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to say hey, and tell ya that the new version is working great. :goodjob: Keep up the good work. Any plans for add ons in any future versions?

MartinW
Jan 09, 2002, 05:40 PM
Could somebody please give me a brief explanation on how to use the food, production, and commerce columns in the trainer?

I just don't know exactly how they effect the game and how they should be set in the trainer.

You don't need to explain it too carefully. I'm not as slow as I seem right now.

Realm
Jan 10, 2002, 09:15 PM
I want an update!

NexusLazarus
Apr 07, 2002, 11:15 PM
Just wondering if there will be another update to this or not, Thanks.

Chieftess
Apr 10, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Gramphos

(just noticed the date)

hehe.. make that 4. I'm planning on making one. I just found the addresses for culture. (Did you know ESPN is in there? For every civ! :D)

Besides the game save - and yes, I'm feeling ambitious - I might try to make a "City Planner", which will show the city radius (radii?) of the cities, and will let you place cities. Then take that a step further, and place any city, improvements and units for any civ. (It's all in the save..)

Cazovi
Apr 10, 2002, 09:56 PM
(in reference to above signature ;p )

"That conscript warrior killed 5 of my elite warriors, and he had no defensive bonus..." ;p

(so, a little exaggeration there, but the way civ handles attack math it's entirely possible ;p )

Majik
Apr 11, 2002, 08:58 PM
I hit the wrong bookmark the other day and ended up at ErikTan's website and he had an update... Here it is :

Last Updated on 26-Mar-2002

Hi Civ 3 Fans,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologise for the delay in the release of v0.40. My harddisk broke down and has just returned from the workshop. I am now reviewing what I have done and working on new release. Will update the site as soon as possible.

Erik

http://home2.pacific.net.sg/~eriktan/

sk8punker87
May 04, 2002, 12:01 AM
I can't get it to load my frickin game. Whats wrong. I say Load Savegame. and then it takes me to My menu of shared files, and music and everything and it doesn't let me get to my civ games. It's pissing me off!!! help me please

tgs81
May 07, 2002, 09:55 AM
this file is protected............. thats what i get whenever i load my current game. im using 1.21 im guessing the editor doesnt work with the new patch? or am i doing something wrong?

Greeko
Jun 05, 2002, 12:05 PM
You should make a part in the editor that allows you to increase your culture. I want to try to cover a continent with culture from just 1 city!

^([{<\/>}])^
Jul 01, 2002, 09:14 AM
i changed it so i had all the cities in the world then inda declared war on me and the game crashed whats the problem?

HighCouncil
Jul 31, 2002, 05:05 AM
When comes 0.40?

Jazer
Nov 26, 2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Erik Tan

Hi,

The version v0.30 of the editor can be downloaded at

Enjoy
Erik Darkblue 6

Jazer
Nov 26, 2002, 12:48 AM
esa

Jazer
Nov 26, 2002, 12:49 AM
when comes 1.30f

shmee10
Dec 14, 2002, 07:01 PM
i can't get it to load game what's going on????

Anduin
Feb 02, 2003, 03:19 PM
Well I tried to edit a save file but it says its protected, so how do I unprotect it ? but then the autosaves let me edit them but then when I load them it says its missing a certain file, help !

fei
Feb 23, 2003, 08:24 AM
Problem,

Whenever I use the editor then load save game it won't open. It says save game protected.

yamaraion
Mar 14, 2003, 11:06 PM
After you have destroyed your Hot Seat game of CIV III PTW by restarting it from the load game menu ingame.........HOW STUPID OF ME TO USE A LOAD GAME item on a menu in a game..........and you have a single player game instead of the 300 hour long multiplayer Hot Seat game........will this editor let you reset it to multiplayer Hot Seat with the origional players..........or are we ****** yet again by the shoddy work that is often done on CIV games.

How can anyone know this bug exists in a game and not only market it but put an inaccurate warning on page 39 of the manual and actually have the ***** to SELL it to people for money and then not fix it in the patch? And I bet they complain about software pirates. Well thieves attract thieves.

They say never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, but........really!

yamaraion

justp360
Apr 20, 2003, 03:13 PM
:( i had a few problems during the game .
i have windows xp right , and the game froze up when i went to the tec advisor .
anyway i have a question about the mod.
i saved a game with all tecs choosen.
does this affect the al too ? at start of the game.
if so that means the al has the same tec as the player.
i found that in dipomocy if u dont reply to requests
all the als declears war on u knowing u have all the tec!
the main let down is , that if the al captures one of your cites
your in big trouble lol

ps i think your mods ok but it needs more work:goodjob:

Scourge
Apr 21, 2003, 10:58 AM
For those of you that complain about it not loading your savegame and giving an error message about it being protected, here's your answer: The last version Erik put out was designed for a much earlier version of Civ3, and in one of the more recent patches, they added a function that automatically compresses all your saved games (to save space-- the old saves were quite large, and took up entirely too much space for those of us that don't have 60+ gig hard drives), and Erik has yet to update his editor to recognize and load the compressed saves, hence the editor thinks that they're "protected" when it can't open them.

justp360
Apr 21, 2003, 08:44 PM
im not complaining about anything Scourge ok.
just asking a few questions.

Scourge
Apr 22, 2003, 01:05 PM
Er, yeah...I didn't mean it in that sense, maybe I should have used another word...Anyhow, everything's cool, I understand how you meant it.

Otto_Van
Apr 24, 2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I have been having the same problems, that is loading my saved files after down loading the latest patch, I've been considering deleteing it. I'll just wait and see if he upgrades the application.

-Otto_Van

Shabbabaram
May 04, 2003, 11:59 AM
Is it gonna be updated anytime soon?

ainwood
May 04, 2003, 09:57 PM
Guys,

He hasn't visited the forum for nigh on 1 1/2 years. Don't hold your breath for an update!

There are other excellent save-game editors out there. :)

Otto_Van
May 07, 2003, 01:56 PM
Like What?

Otto_Van

yamaraion
May 19, 2003, 05:34 AM
Er,

I'm bemused.

The origional question pointed out that

1. the program CIV III: PTW and it's manual were screwed up and sloppy.

2. Asked if the application, the non FIRAXIS editor, could repair the damage done by the faulty PTW software and manual.

3. By this time, it doesn't matter. We are two Hot Seat games along and we DO NOT load the games from the on-map "load game" button,

Thank you for your contributions. Oh, and it was nice to see that a knife fight didn't start over disagreements. <applause>

yamaraion.

beemer
Jan 09, 2004, 12:59 PM
they dont work with conquests.

deo
Mar 20, 2004, 04:38 AM
Can Anyone make a Civlilization 3 Conquest svegame editor please?

ainwood
Mar 20, 2004, 05:03 PM
Try Gramphos' Civ3 multitool, or the Powerbar.

Secondly, @Deo, please reduce the length of your signature. You are allowed the equivalent of 6 lines of text, and yours is about 9 or 10.

Thanks.

POLM
Mar 21, 2004, 07:39 AM
Can you change citizens nationality???

JamesWarrenLee
Jun 18, 2004, 01:14 AM
I am playing the gold editon of civilization III and the majority of the programs that I have downloaded doesn't work, and the one that did work causes the game to crash. I just want money. Thanks

James W. Lee

god_43
Oct 15, 2004, 10:02 AM
stop posting here he has not been here for years.

smurf56001
Nov 04, 2004, 01:44 PM
I've tried almost every trainer for Civ 3 and none of them work for me. I was hoping this trainer would but everytime i load the SAV Game file I keep getting an Access Violation message. Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a trainer that will work?

god_43
Nov 04, 2004, 05:39 PM
THIS TRAINER IS OLD AS BALLS, STOP COMMING HERE. with that said, go to

c3mt (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=100445&perpage=30&pagenumber=1)

then go to the last page to get the best version

vdeogamer
Nov 12, 2004, 07:47 PM
:) :cool: Best editor! no problems with me :goodjob:

Utopia_prime
Apr 14, 2005, 01:03 PM
What Versions does it work on?

Ultra Maniac
Jun 26, 2005, 12:30 AM
Can you make the same thing but for Conquests? It is a great eidotr, thanks for the share.

Morfos
Jun 29, 2005, 02:55 PM
I GET AN ERROR! Whats the problem? "Access Violation at address 0043B4DD"

-Howcome everything screws up on me?

kissfan1
Feb 26, 2006, 01:45 AM
When I go to load a saved game in SGE 3.2 it says the file is protected and won't load? I am using Win XP and have tried loading the editor in both XP and win 98/2000 compatibility. Any clues.
Also any way to edit the courthouses to work like they did in Civ 2. Sucks when you capture a town so far from your capitol or Forbidden Palace and it takes FOREVER for the city to even get to produce 2 shields.

c.pablo
Mar 27, 2006, 05:50 PM
this work for c3c in spanish?

work for the conques?

agent_xp1
May 06, 2006, 09:21 AM
hey, guys... i just installed Civ3... im still in a beginners mode in this game.. i dont want switch playing in Civ4 coz i still want to know the game. maybe you guys could help me out to this game.. anyways! nize site.. keep it up.. thnks for the downloads! ciao!

bd41094
Jun 05, 2006, 02:33 PM
I must be dumb cause i cant get it to work. ive downloaded all the others and they dont work either...

Donner06
Aug 04, 2006, 01:37 PM
I installed the save game editor, but every time I try to open a file it either says the file has been protected or "access violation at ...."

What am i doing wrong, or is this not intended for Civ 3 Conquests?

Donner06
Aug 04, 2006, 01:39 PM
i cant get this to work........when i try to load a file it either says that the file is protected or "access violation"

am i doing something wrong or is this not meant for Civ 3 Conquests?

Edwardnz
Aug 10, 2006, 10:25 PM
Seen as it was last updated 2001-2002, I doubt it'll work with the new version

ainwood
Aug 13, 2006, 04:05 AM
Nope - it is DEAD.

native_pk3r
Mar 01, 2007, 05:34 PM
I wrote the editor in Windows 98 and it works fine. If it is having some problem, I would guess that Windows 98 and Windows XP file handling mehod are different and it results in this problem.

Is there any other XP users that are facing the same problem?

Erik

ya i have windows xp

darkedone02
Mar 02, 2007, 03:19 PM
I need a save game editor that allows me to edit the map of a saved game so I can put some resources around me. I am tired of my map not getting the resources that I really need.

I want the feature to work on Civilization 3: Complete.

Navy dude
Jun 18, 2007, 10:34 AM
Dear dude that made this editor. I downloaded it and i can pull up the screen. I try to open a save and it says "file access denied". Is there ne way i can load a game?
plz email me at RSFirstbase@aol.com
or reply on here

Azmorg
Jun 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
Navy Dude:
The thread is nearly six years old. The "Dear dude" that made the utility has specifically stated that it will not work for anything but the first releases of generic, vanilla Civ III. And that it was written for Windows 98. And the last time the guy posted in these forums, anywhere, was in this thread, Dec. 12, 2001. So I guess what I'm really trying to say here is...,

Whad'ya doin' using your first post to bump a thread that's been pushing up daisies so long it's become a fossil?

Oh, btw, welcome to the forums.

Virote_Considon
Jun 19, 2007, 06:25 PM
@Azmorg- It was a valid bump- Navy Dude actually had a problem, it wasn't just a "k00l unitz" post ;)

Azmorg
Jun 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
Perhaps. Still, I would suggest that if Navy Dude had read the thread, compared his problem with others in the thread, taken a look at when the thread was first posted, realized how old it was, taken a moment to wonder if the guy was still around, taken a moment longer to check the guy's profile and seen that he hadn't posted subsequently in almost 6 years, he (Navy Dude, that is) quite possible might have realized that making his post was moot. Anyway, I ramble. Hmm... that reminds me of something... What is it?... Rambling... Ramble on... And now's the time, the time is now...
Oh, I can't remember.

warmwaffles
Jun 24, 2007, 12:00 PM
Let me add to the pandemonium ... The utility forum is always...dead for some odd reason...

>_>

<_<

I think the moderators here should archive some of these bad boys seeing how they are almost little to no use. I mean some seriously have been dead for 4 years, doesn't that deserve and archiving and locking?

Oh well I have no room to criticize the mods here, they do quite a nice job here.

Virote_Considon
Jun 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
Although there is always a chance that one of the makers will come and try to re-update their utilities...

warmwaffles
Jun 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
Although there is always a chance that one of the makers will come and try to re-update their utilities...

:lol: and how many times has this happened? :p

I guess thats a good reason but when the programmer hasn't been seen for like...3 years I have lost all faith in their return and if they did return it would only be for a short period of time.

Virote_Considon
Jun 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
You never know ;)

Trillian
Dec 23, 2007, 10:24 AM
Hi guys I am new to this forum and to Civ III. I was looking for the cheat downloads. The one by Cyberman where you get loads of money at the beginning and the link led me here.

Hrafnkell
Dec 28, 2007, 01:34 PM
Welcome. But why cheat? Isn't it more fun to just play?

Grandpa Troll
Jun 23, 2008, 05:33 PM
Just getting my feet wet here at CFC

I skimmed these posts, this editor is not for Conquests..is this correct?

Thanks

Troll:confused:

Neko
Oct 23, 2008, 12:46 AM
Is there an older version that works with 1.29f? :confused:

EtaNett
Nov 07, 2008, 02:30 PM
Just a tip people, don't make you income 900000 per city, it makes your game non-responsive. Trust me!

Kolpol
Mar 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Civ 3 Save Game Editor v0.32 beta access violation:crazyeye:Pls HELP! Im using win7

Balthasar
Mar 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
Please note that this utility is well over 10 years old, and that the last post in this thread before yours was four years ago. That's not to say someone can't help you, but you're swimming upstream..

Blue Monkey
Mar 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
Civ 3 Save Game Editor v0.32 beta access violation:crazyeye:Pls HELP! Im using win7The last word is your best clue to what's going wrong. A ten year old utility in Win7 - sounds like something you'd get more help with in one of the tech support subforums.

Overlord518
Jan 22, 2013, 06:03 AM
The link says error 404
Can someone tell me how to download it?

Overlord518
Jan 22, 2013, 08:17 AM
How do i download it?:confused::confused:

Balthasar
Jan 22, 2013, 03:47 PM

You really should read the last few pages of posts in a thread before you post. You should make that your rule. Had you done that, you would have realized that this utility is a decade old, and that support for it ceased some years ago. I'm not the least surprised the link is dead.

The good news for you is that these capabilities probably exist elsewhere, but you'll have to look. Steph's editor does some things with save game files..

Quintillus
Jan 25, 2013, 07:34 PM

The link is broken. But, I Googled this utility, and was able to find version 0.30 on a Slovak website (http://gamedata.box.sk/_cht5/c3edit030.zip). I don't know what the difference between 0.30 and 0.32 is, nor can I really test it since I don't have vanilla 1.07 installed. But, it does start up and looks Civ-ish (although I can't test whether it loads saves, since I don't have any that old - supposedly that might only work on Windows 98 and Windows ME).