Nov 25, 2001, 02:32 AM
As soon as they get to the point where you ask them to do something unique to the civ, they all seem to crash for me, and it's repeatable. For instance, on the Canadian civ, anytime I try to build the Avro Arrow, it caused a fault and crash back to desktop. That was easy enough to work around as it's not that useful a unit without air superiority but I also created a civ through the copy tool and it crashed as soon as I opened my foreign advisor page (although the Cdn one didn't, now that I think about it). In the first situation, there were no other mods to the rules, with the second, many tweaks. Is there something I'm not doing right or forgetting with the editor?
Nov 26, 2001, 07:48 PM
Well whatever the issue is, it probably has something to do with the Avro you created. I suggest you check other posts in this forum for tutorials on making your own units and follow those instructions to get the hang of making successful units.
Nov 27, 2001, 09:24 AM
I had the same problem - but it was all my own foult. If you create or rename a unit you also have to rename or create the units directory and ini-file in the units folder.
Nov 28, 2001, 02:03 AM
Just to reiterate, when creating a unit you need to do a few things to get it to work right.
1. Add the unit using the hacked editor or the Civcopy tool
2. note which icon you used for it (in my Canadian mod, I created a 'voyageur' using the 'settler' icon)
3. save the new *.bic
4. go to the Art/units folders in the the Civ3 directories
5. create a new folder with your unit name (i.e. Voyageur)
6. copy the files for the icon you used (i.e. settler) to the new unit folder (voyageur)
7. rename 'settler.ini' to 'voyageur.ini'
8. DO NOT rename anything else in the folder