View Full Version : Help a Mod newbie?

klopolov
Jan 19, 2005, 11:22 PM
I have attempted to play Tet's Test of Time scenario for Russia, and find that there are no goody huts and since I start surrounded with forrests, my scout is pretty much useless. This cripples Russia to only one trait - scientific. I have never modded before, and tried to read some stuff on the customization forum, but failed to understand it without the editor in front of me (read it at work). Could someone please either direct me to a disscussion thread to post this in, or tell me how I could either access the civ's traits and change them, or change the stats for the scout, or add goody huts... I can handle the monarch level, but twice fell significantly behind on regent in this scenario! Also, could someone suggest the best way out of those three to fix the problem to keep the game in balance (I am not looking for an easy win, but not ready yet to willingly cripple myself, I just want to have fun with a balanced game).

EDIT: found the thread for the mod, will download newer version, however the thread is way too long to look for what is different. So, if anyone could kindly let me know how I can change those settings, it would bring a lot of joy to my existance... :)

ShiroKobbure
Jan 20, 2005, 12:34 AM
well this very basic stuff
to change the scouts stuff
goto the editor
goto units it will be on the right hand side where it says "edit" change the unit properties
as for civ traits goto the same place but instead of units choose "civilizations"
to add a goddy hut:
right click a spot goto properties then add a goody hut
is that all? ^ ^

klopolov
Jan 20, 2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks, this might be a very dumb question, but which file do I open in the scenario folder to do the changes? I cannot find the map file in there and no other files seem to open in the editor... Also, there is a file called civmod."can't remember what" (not in the scenario folder),which is the only file that lets me do any changes to anything, but for some reason it does not have the PTW civs in it and I can't find them in the PTW folder; when I open any other scenario maps, I can't change anything... (I have a Gold Edition), but I guess I'll go home and play around with that stuff some more (and read some articles on this forum)

ShiroKobbure
Jan 20, 2005, 12:48 AM
um gold is ptw and civ 3 together right?
well its either in the scenarios folder in civ 3 or in play the world
as for the file test or time usually comes with a few maps so choose the one your using it shouldnt be hard to find.
If you cant find it use windows search and type in "TETurkhan" or "Test of Time"

klopolov
Jan 20, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks, I'm getting a hang of it now, the basic stuff anyway, looking for that file now, got everything else, so disregard the questions! Thanks for help!