View Full Version : Registry Threads

Strider
Feb 22, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm posting this to see what the general view on the registry threads are (the Discussion Registry, etc.).

The orginal idea for these was to subscribe to that thread, and then you'd know whenever a new discussion or poll was posted. However, not very many people use the registry, and it's become obsolete and useless.

I say we remove the Discussion and Poll Registry. The Citizen Group registry can stay, because it is more likely to be used, and can also be used for the "Newbie Society" dealings.

Any other comments?

Xerol
Feb 22, 2005, 10:12 PM
I check multiple times daily anyway, and I've got my subscription emails set to once a week so it doesn't matter either way to me. However, it could be a good way to keep track of what's current and what's not.

DaveShack
Feb 22, 2005, 11:13 PM
I must admit I've done a very poor job of updating the discussion and poll registries with threads I initiate. I think the forum itself provides a much better index than any registry can, and the new subscription options pretty much eliminate the need to have a quick place to check.

However, if proponents of these registries can provide good input on their value I would try to do a better job of keeping my entries updated.

MOTH
Feb 23, 2005, 07:53 AM
I tried out the subsribe to thread option once and the notifications are quickly lost in the spam. I'd say get rid of them.

Strider
Feb 24, 2005, 05:04 PM
So, is this final now? Unsticky the Discussion Registry and Poll Index threads?

Octavian X
Feb 24, 2005, 05:55 PM
Hardly. I think they are a bit useful as official registries of certain discussions. Besides, I don't see the harm in keeping them sticky - we've got few enough stickys that it really doesn't matter.

Xerol
Feb 24, 2005, 07:10 PM
For what it's intended for, it does a poor job, mostly because I don't think most people have "immediate" topic reply notification on. However, as I've said above, I think they should be kept around as an index of sorts just to keep current and noncurrent discussions seperated(in the event that certain threads get bumped above others, and such).

Donovan Zoi
Feb 24, 2005, 11:35 PM
I don't think that the Discussion Registry is that useful, since the Citizens Forum is usually the first place to which people gravitate (or at least for me). However I think that the Poll Registry is good, since it alerts people to a new poll (usually time-sensitive) when they enter the forums through their Control Panel page.

Of course, these programs are only as successful when they are in use. Rather than dismissing them out of hand, why don't we try to encourage people to use them?