View Full Version : How to: Make Military units tradeable

Paasky
Mar 22, 2005, 05:54 AM
Yes, it's possible folks! Although it does have three giltches: 1) Only 1 unit can be tradeable, 2) It replaces the worker & 3) It can only be sold from the Capital. But I've invented a way to work around the first two minor flaws. For me, buying workers is not useful as they work at Ĺ the speed.

So, to make a military units, you have to simply edit the 2nd unit on the unit list (typically this is the worker) to have whatever stats you want it to have (say a "Mercenary Hoplite" with an A/D of 3, movement of 1, foot unit, etc).

Then, make a new unit, call it a Worker and make it an exact copy of the normal worker.

Now, to make use of the mercenary when you get to better units, make several new units (one for each era or more, your choice).

Now, make the Mercenary Hoplite steadily upgrade into better units (like warriors & spearmen do).

Now you have a tradeable unit, the Mercenary Hoplite which can be upgraded into newer, better units as time goes by!

warmwaffles
Mar 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
Ahhh finally we add our big debate................

Corn Shucker
Mar 28, 2005, 02:10 PM
Well after doing a bit more experimenting with this, I discovered another small (yet very very annoying) flaw.

In a normal game, due to the position of the worker on the list, the governor will rarely-if ever build workers in cities, usually building the latest cheap-but-effective military unit, or building a city imp. Unfortunately, when you move the worker to another part of the list (and moving a military unit to the workers spot), the governor recognizes the worker as a really cheap military unit, which means when you try to play, it always (and I mean always) wants to build workers and nothing else. This would be ok if the governor asked you what you wanted to build for every city, but they will only ask you if they're trying to build a city imp (or you just finished a city imp)... and because they want to build worker, they don't contact you often (or not at all). Now if you check all of your cities at the end of every turn, this isn't too big of a deal. But most likely your going to forgot to check from time to time and end up with 5, 10, maybe 15 extra workers the next turn because of the low shield cost.... waste of time, and shields.

So basically the governor goes worker crazy, and you end up with extra workers to summarize. :D

If anyone knows how to fix this, please post, but Iím thinking this isnít really possible to prevent.

Paasky
Mar 28, 2005, 02:15 PM
So basically the governor goes worker crazy, and you end up with extra workers to summarize. :D

If anyone knows how to fix this, please post, but Iím thinking this isnít really possible to prevent.

How is that possible?? How can anyone think that an unit without A/D flags OR the points for it could be a military unit?? The AI is :crazyeye:

Corn Shucker
Mar 28, 2005, 02:18 PM
The AI is :crazyeye:

...yeah it is lol

Corn Shucker
Mar 28, 2005, 03:21 PM
..Of course, this is my own explanation for it, no guarantees lol. IMO itís the only believable explanation that I can think of. Why else would the computer go worker crazy? Nevertheless, any way you look at it the computer goes worker crazy, explanation or no explanation. But if my reasoning is wrong.... then there is a change that maybe this could be changed (so I hope it is wrong :p). Of course maybe if I finish the game I'll discover something else... so maybe if i feel like it lol. Anyway, if anyone has a better explanation, please share it!

Corn Shucker
Mar 28, 2005, 04:02 PM
I think I may have discovered a solution to the problem. I contacted the governor while playing and looked at the production tab. I made every line say 'build ___ often in all cities.' except the worker line, I put 'build worker never in all cities." I think that pretty much solved it. Occasionally the AI continued to try to build workers in some cities, but about 70-75% of the time it would build something else. This makes it a lot less annoying. :hmm: should have thought of this before....

Paasky
Mar 29, 2005, 02:42 AM
What if you make the governor build only workeres often & everything else never? Will it begin to build the tradable military unit? This might be a problem, sa in my WWII scenario The Worker is the first unit & the Destroyer is the 2nd... So destroyers can be bought & sold :p

sausnebb
Apr 13, 2005, 02:24 PM
they will only ask you if they're trying to build a city imp (or you just finished a city imp)...
Not if you go to preferences and check the... what's it called? The option that says something about always ask for build orders. Then you'll get the build pop-up everytime you build something, but it's still irritating to change the suggestions all the time. Not like I don't do that all the time anyway...

Lonkut
Apr 15, 2005, 05:50 AM
I can buy from the AI but they can't buy from me. Is that supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

WildWeazel
Apr 15, 2005, 11:27 AM
They probably just don't have enough money, or yours aren't in your capital.
@Corn: Do the AI civs do this too, or just your governors? If the other civs build nothing but workers, this could be a big problem.

Lonkut
Apr 15, 2005, 09:06 PM
they start with 10 gold and I do have tradable units in my capital I actually made sure of that. What do u mean not enough money? Like no money at all or too little?

Paasky
Apr 16, 2005, 03:32 AM
1) Is the tradable unit the second on the list?
2) Can you speak with the AI?
3) Is the tradable unit in your capital?
4) Do you have a trade route?

If all are yes then you can trade the unit.

WildWeazel
Apr 16, 2005, 09:30 AM
The AI civs typically have very little to no gold because they spend it all. I thought maybe the option was available but the AI said they couldn't see how any such deal could be worked out or something along those lines. If they didn't have any gold they wouldn't want to offer anything in exchange, because cities, techs, and resources would all be too valuable. So I guess what I'm saying is... can you select the unit from your list during diplomacy, and the AI just won't buy it, or is the "Workers" list not visible?

Lonkut
Apr 16, 2005, 10:37 AM
1) Is the tradable unit the second on the list?
2) Can you speak with the AI?
3) Is the tradable unit in your capital?
4) Do you have a trade route?

If all are yes then you can trade the unit.
Well I can't sell it to the AI but I can buy it from the AI. :(

Paasky
Apr 16, 2005, 03:01 PM
That most propably means that you don't have the tradable unit in your capital.

Icmancin
Aug 18, 2005, 03:27 PM
There is a flaw.

I can trade the unit which replaced worker but I am unable to trade its upgraded versions of Mercenaries. Is this supposed to happen?

Paasky
Aug 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, because the only unit that can be traded is the second one in the list. That's why it only works in small time-scale scenarios.

... waiting for civ4 ...

Icmancin
Aug 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
Ah... I can live with that.

FinnMcCool
Sep 04, 2005, 12:21 AM
Good work, Paasky. Yet I wonder why the programmers for Firaxis/Atari aren't aware of it. It's a convenient trick, let's hope the Civ4 programmers are at least as smart as you... :cool:

Takhisis
Sep 30, 2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, because the only unit that can be traded is the second one in the list. That's why it only works in small time-scale scenarios.

... waiting for civ4 ...Yeah! Iīll put them as mercs in my mod!

NavyDawg
Nov 30, 2005, 12:50 PM
I'm trying to add a merc as a tradable unit. The unit comes available with a tech in the 3rd age of my mod. It does not require any resources and can be built by all civs. However, I can't buy or give the unit away when I tested it. I had 4 in my capital (Rome) and a trade route to the Greek capitol. I even built an embassy. BTW, this is the second unit in the list (right after settler). Does anyone have any ideas? Screenshot attached. Thanks.:confused:

Takhisis
Nov 30, 2005, 01:35 PM
Honestly, don´t have a clue.
Take a second hard look at the tutorial and do it again.

Paasky
Dec 01, 2005, 12:28 AM
Actually it's very simple: Have it as the 2nd unit, have it in your capital & have a trade route. I don't have a clue why it wouldn't work.

NavyDawg
Dec 02, 2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the advice... It's not working yet, but if others have done, I'll just keep tweeking till I get it. Cheers.

TheNewSaint
Feb 06, 2006, 07:27 PM
In my mod, I have a civ, called mercs, that is located in a heavily warred desert. They are like a crossroads, all roads lead to them. They can only build one unit. It is the "Mercenary" unit. It is immobile, has 0 stats, and is upgradable to a huge chain of other units. I am hoping that I can find a way to have the AI keep its gold and upgrade the unit, but basicly, the merc can be upgraded to different things depending on your tech level. The reason this is really big in my mod is-

Most units, including fighting ones, require food. Mercs do not. They do however, cost an arm and a leg to upgrade. So, you can grow food and make your own units, or through raiding, capturing units, trading and the worx, you can hire mercenaries. (Yeah!)

Paasky
Feb 07, 2006, 01:16 AM
Remember that once the unit is upgraded, it cannot be traded. So maybe give the desert people some UU that has a high defensive value, and perhaps even unbuildable.

TheNewSaint
Feb 07, 2006, 03:32 PM
No, see, desert people, unkillable. They can only make mercs. They are immoble so that they are alwys in capital. You can buy the merc, and upgrade it. They cost no food or shields, but lotta gold. It'd an alternative method to military though (since there are lots of ways to earn gold...)

Paasky
Feb 07, 2006, 11:38 PM
No, see, desert people, unkillable. They can only make mercs. They are immoble so that they are alwys in capital. You can buy the merc, and upgrade it. They cost no food or shields, but lotta gold. It'd an alternative method to military though (since there are lots of ways to earn gold...)

I see. The cost of purchasing the unit depends on the amount of shields it costs, if you didn't know that. Also, the upgrade cost is dependant of the shield difference of the units.

Roman Legion
Feb 09, 2006, 04:20 PM
I did exactly all that you said but when i go to trade for the Russian Infantry it still says worker, and i still cant trade for their unit. what have I done wrong?

Paasky
Feb 09, 2006, 11:29 PM
Russian Infantry isn't the 2nd unit on the unit list.

And if they wont sell you their workers, you don't have good enough relations or not enough money.

Roman Legion
Feb 10, 2006, 04:07 PM
No I replaced The worker with the Russian Infantry, i made a test map(I put plenty of money belive me) worker is last on my unit list, Russian Infantry is in the second spot, can you help me out?

Paasky
Feb 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
If you have a trade route from capital to capital, there shouldn't be any reason it won't work.

Roman Legion
Feb 13, 2006, 12:12 PM
It still dosent work, I dont know what else to do here. I really was hoping to be able to trade units. please someone help me out.

Roman Legion
Feb 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
Some Help, Please.

Paasky
Feb 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry I can't. Because if you have
1) The unit as the 2nd unit on the unitlist
2) A trade route from capital to capital
3) The unit in the capital of the seller
it should work.

Roman Legion
Feb 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
does the unit have to be something everyone can make or can it be a UU?
and does it have to be a really early unit like your hoplite?

Paasky
Feb 15, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't know if the UU thing is the problem, check it.
No, it doesn't matter when it is available.

WildWeazel
Feb 15, 2006, 03:17 PM
does the unit have to be something everyone can make or can it be a UU?
Hmm, that gives me an idea. Making it a UU shouldn't keep it from being traded, but other civs may not be able to buy. If that's not the case, it could be used as some kind of special unit that is mass-produced by one civ, sold to others, and upgraded. The perfect Merc system. :)

Roman Legion
Feb 15, 2006, 03:30 PM
Am I missing something you may have discovered?

markdata
Feb 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
There are other ways to use this with the AI. For example as an incentive for another civ to form an alliance against a common enemy. Or if a civ on an important border is in jeopardy, pass along a couple 'freedom fighters' to bolster their defense. It would be nice touch of realism if there was a way to physically transport these units.

Roman Legion
Feb 17, 2006, 09:36 PM
What?????????????

Roman Legion
Feb 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
My Guess is this is a phony thread, I have done everything you said and still, it dosent work.

Paasky
Feb 21, 2006, 04:10 AM
:lol:
Why has it worked for me and several others then?

Roman Legion
Feb 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
How would I know if it did you could just be lying for all I know.

Azmorg
Jun 08, 2006, 04:41 PM
How would I know if it did you could just be lying for all I know.
You're right! I knew it all along. All these people posting all these... posts here are all making this stuff up! I've been reading all these things for all these years just knowing it was all lies, lies, lies. They're all out to get me. I'm so glad to know there's someone else out there that's finally figured out what's going on. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Paasky
Jun 09, 2006, 04:30 AM
You're right! I knew it all along. All these people posting all these... posts here are all making this stuff up! I've been reading all these things for all these years just knowing it was all lies, lies, lies. They're all out to get me. I'm so glad to know there's someone else out there that's finally figured out what's going on. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.
:lol:

Plotinus
Jun 09, 2006, 05:08 AM
I hope you don't think that these posts are written by actual people. Nonsense! CFC itself attained self-awareness some time ago and has been toying with you as a distraction while it moves its missiles into position. There's a storm a-comin'...

Stormrage
Jun 09, 2006, 04:05 PM
Someone called? Maybe we should have a big ol` chariot race at the colloseum, eh, Plotinus? ;)

Roman Legion
Jul 08, 2006, 01:54 AM
ok, whatever you say, these men here in the white clothes are gonna take you away to a "nice" place, with more people like you, whats that they want to give you a new "Jacket"

c.pablo
Jul 29, 2006, 08:25 AM
you dont can change the ia in the editor?