View Full Version : Civ3MMToolkit - Civilization III Mode Makers Toolkit

Cyber Dreyk
Apr 28, 2005, 12:37 AM
The Civ3MMToolkit includes the following utilities: Civ3FlcEdit, Civ3MM and ImageConvert with all necessary DLLs files.

Civ3FlcEdit - the powerful animation viewer & editor, assigned to work with Civilization III FLC animation files.
Civ3MM - Civilization III Mode Maker, multifunctional utility, which allows creating and/or modifying scenarios and modes
ImgConvert – small but powerful utility assigned to help with making the Civilopedia icons and other graphics.

I think that it’s more useful to get all these tools and info about their work from one place - therefore I decided to unite all them to a single installation.
So, please ask all questions directly here, don’t ask me in the old threads. :)

Also you can visit old threads to get some useful information about these utilities:
Civ3FlcEdit - Civilization III animation viewer & editor (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=91253)
Civ3MM - Civilization III Mode Maker (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=85292)
How to make new units and add them to the scenario file (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2675999&postcount=94)

Download Civ3MMToolkit v1.0 (~2,2 MB):
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Civ3MMToolkit_v1.0.zip (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Civ3MMToolkit_v1.0.zip)
Civ3FlcEdit v3,1,7,101
Civ3MM v1,1,3,82
ImgConvert v1,1,1,6

Finally I have decision to post here a source codes of Civ3FlcEdit, Civ3MM and ImgConvert utilities.
They were made on M$ Visual Studio 6.0, but it's possible to convert them to the VS.Net too...

Download Civ3MMToolkit's Source Code (~1,7 MB):
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Civ3MMToolkit_Source_Code.zip (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Civ3MMToolkit_Source_Code.zip)

Slave of CIV
Apr 29, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ha... you fool! You give away the power to CREATE!! :lol:

Varlin Saliptor
Apr 29, 2005, 03:55 PM
This is awesome! This will make things go much smoother... :D

nomo
May 04, 2005, 08:24 PM
AWSOME! it'll be very helpful in mod makeing

warmwaffles
Jun 03, 2005, 09:26 PM
hey....where is that flc to gif converter I was tellin you to make :lol: well I hope if you do make one its better than the flc2gif program cuz it gives me crap previews

Bjornlo
Jul 07, 2005, 02:06 AM
Recent HD failure required a re-install.

Installed version is the one linked in the first post.

Opening a FLC created with this application (prior to re-install) yields:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8976/civ3flceditcrash27ng.gif
click on OK
and get
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1699/civ3flceditcrash19md.gif

The FLC is linked in my SIG.
But the same results can be produced with any of the default firaxis units. Same problem with all 20+ flc's I clicked on.

All these FLCs open fine with Flickster and work in game as well.

beck
Jul 07, 2005, 11:50 AM
I chose a scenario file and I find under "Scenario information" > "Scenario File" of course all the techs, units and so on. Now, let me be an user, I look to the left, and see nothing at all, although I find all items in this "Scenario file" tab.

So, why? I can add things, but I don't need to, because they all are in my file. So, why you don't show this items in the left? - Or is it my error? - Importing from the scenario file to the same file occurs a message, that's ok. But only to add new items, makes old files unnecessary, that's a little more difficult to use.

I think, it will be better, when you show all items, all entries also on the left from the file and not only this, I add in your application.

- But great work! Yes, really good. ;) -

Bjornlo
Jul 09, 2005, 07:41 PM
Recent HD failure required a re-install.

Installed version is the one linked in the first post.

Opening a FLC created with this application (prior to re-install) yields:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8976/civ3flceditcrash27ng.gif
click on OK
and get
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1699/civ3flceditcrash19md.gif

The FLC is linked in my SIG.
But the same results can be produced with any of the default firaxis units. Same problem with all 20+ flc's I clicked on.

All these FLCs open fine with Flickster and work in game as well.
I figured this out. You have to be in 32bit video mode or this utility fails.
This should probably be displayed with the error message or in a readme with the installer.

MarineCorps
Jul 31, 2005, 06:00 PM
C3MM won't load over a 1000 units CD.

Nate1976
Aug 06, 2005, 02:54 PM
I downloaded like I was supposed to, but when I tried to run it, this came up (see attachment)
Can someone explain?

Cyber Dreyk
Aug 21, 2005, 09:27 PM
I downloaded like I was supposed to, but when I tried to run it, this came up (see attachment)
Can someone explain?
Please, use the Civ3FlcEdit.exe instead of Civ3Flc.exe. Point is that Civ3Flc is an old utility and it cannot work with latest version of GraphX.DLL, included in the latest pack. :)

Rod
Aug 23, 2005, 01:13 PM
hello,

maybe I am stupid, but I just dont understand how I can use the created civ3m files as a scenario ??

Civ cannot load a civ3M-Files, and there is no option to convert a civ3m into a biq-file ??

KayEss
Aug 23, 2005, 11:47 PM
Take a read through the tutorials in http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 and hopefully they will help you work it out.

Rod
Aug 24, 2005, 11:28 AM
Take a read through the tutorials in http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 and hopefully they will help you work it out.

Hello,

thank you for this very unhelpfully advice. I didnt asK about how to mod in CivIIIEdit. I know how to use the editor.
But I really ask a specific question about the Civ3MM-Program !!

Unfortunately there exists NO tutorial for Civ3MM and also there exist no manual.

So I repeat my question.
When I want to change my .biq-File I just import everything to Civ3MM. Ok, so far so easy.
Now I want to save the changings I made with Civ3MM, like adding new units and so on. Buty now I can only save it as a .c3m - File and of course this .c3m-file is not readable by Civ III or by CivIIIEdit.

So what I should do now ???

thanx for your efforts and thanks for reading my question this time.

yours
Ruediger

KayEss
Aug 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
thank you for this very unhelpfully advice. I didnt asK about how to mod in CivIIIEdit. I know how to use the editor.

Well, thank you for your candid reply. I'm sure that tone will help you to get much more help in the future.

Did you read the MM thread?

Rod
Aug 26, 2005, 09:45 AM
hello,

thank you, this was the neccessary information. I couldnt find such a thread in the first place. But it is still difficult to understand. I will try it out.

I know that I was rude in the first reply, but you have to admit, that your answer was provoking such a reply.

I hope you dont mind, normally I am quite kind.

cu
Rod

bhiita
Sep 26, 2005, 07:35 PM
I just wanted to take a minute and thank you for all the work you put into this wonderful program :) I'm very appreciative :goodjob: I don't see how anyone can do without it :cool:

Inspector Javert
Sep 30, 2005, 07:01 PM
Is this compatable with Civ III complete

Cyber Dreyk
Oct 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
Many thanks for all who have interested with my utilities.
Sorry that I have not answered to your questions last time - too little free time for it. :(

Yesterday I have posted a source code of all my utilities (written on C++) - you all can feel you free to use it as you want. :)

Link:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Civ3MMToolkit_Source_Code.zip

Good luck in modding and utilities making!

Dicorion
Oct 26, 2005, 02:45 AM
Oh, thanks a lot. :goodjob: Now I can spend my time still with Civ until get copy of Civilization IV. In our region not until the second half of November :cry:

recon1591
Dec 28, 2005, 09:07 PM
Could a programmer plz look at the core to this program and see why it won't load over 850 units plz. It'll load all the rest from the biq, But not the units. I've even let it set for 2 hrs to see if it would load them and it wouldn't.

Aluminium
Dec 29, 2005, 12:36 PM
Wow, I wasn't aware that the source code is open now, thank you. :)

Bungus
Apr 07, 2006, 01:20 AM
Don't know if anyone's going to be reading this, but Civ3flcEdit is displaying Flcs all screwy for me. Crazy colors, displaced and distorted and discolored units, half on the fram, half off.
It used to work fine, but I upgraded my motheboard and processor and ram (same video card). I don't know how that would effect your program, but it did. Tried the latest version, too.
The same thing used to happen when I tried running Civflcedit while Civ3 was open, or if an flc was running for a long time.
I doubt anyone could even help given the situatiopn's on my end, but if anyone's experienced something similiar let me know.

polyphemus
Apr 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
The same thing has happened to me, i just deleted the program because it was a huge inconveniece. I stuck to Flicster.

Where is the link to the latest version of the program? I cant seem to find it.

Sharon
May 27, 2006, 07:14 AM
How do I alter this program with the source code to add extra features and create new ones?

Plotinus
Jun 06, 2006, 09:17 AM
I'm encountering two problems with this program.

First, I can't make LH flics. They look fine in FlcEdit, and seem to export fine as flics, but load them up in anything else and they're all distorted. I don't know why!

Second - I don't know if this is a problem associated with this program or not - but I'm trying to make a unit animation with 20 frames. All appears fine in FlcEdit. But in Flicster and in the game itself, the animation seems to freeze for a moment at the point where it finishes one cycle and begins the next. It's as if there's an extra frame in there, identical to the last one. This is very annoying, as instead of a smooth, cycling attack sequence, my character keeps stopping as if to wonder what he's doing!

[EDIT] I've now found that it's doing it with other animations too, not just the 20-frame one. It's never done it before, and it's quite noticeable. The frame size is 150x150 pixels, if that makes any difference. What's going on?

Does anyone have any clues?

Azmorg
Jun 07, 2006, 08:59 AM
Maybe Cyber Dreyk should write up and post a tutorial?

pure_caela
Jun 12, 2006, 07:08 AM
Just as Plotinus said, Civ3FlcEdit has a severe problem in editing Leaderhead Flics. Just try to Export to Storyboard any of the hundreds of Leaderhead Flics around in every Mod (e.g. any one from R8XFT) that were produced with Paint Shop Pro Animationshop. Then without any changes export it again to FLIC. And see what happens. If the resulting FLIC doesn't send Civ3FlcEdit to heaven immediately it will after closing. And besides that they all look awfully distorted in different ways they will also crash civ3 itself if inserted.
I don't think this is an issue of the right pallette anymore. Else please correct me.

FYI: I had a lot of very reproducable errors with http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=93032&goto=nextnewest

Suggestions:

Add a new menu point "export to image sequence". It is a tedious task to save every single frame to get to the most common and reliable standard in the professional sector. With an image sequence everybody can produce "standard" conform (so far as we can still talk about of a standard as autodesk itself that can be considered the developer of FLICs, has completely given it up) FLIC files, either using the more widely spread Quicktime Pro or preferably the famous old freeware RAD Video Tools and convert the image sequence there directly to a perfect FLIC (you don't even need to BINK it first).

Make the Storyboard Description File editable by hand.

Another thing I would be very happy with would be a "save reverse Flic" so that if you finally have a perfect Leaderhead animation in one direction, you are just one click away from the backward version.

I think so far it is a marvellous tool, we never had a problem with unit creation, and it is so nice to make all the adjustments (e.g. colorshifts) in one big storybordfile. And also for a preview I generally prefer it over quicktime or irfanview. Please, please keep working on it!!

Azmorg
Jun 12, 2006, 08:57 AM
Cyber D hasn't posted on CFC since Jan 4.
Perhaps someone who knows C++ should give him an email and see if he's ok with the utility been taken over? I'd do it, but I know nothing about programming.

conquer_dude
Jun 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
Sure you can find someone here that programs.

vingrjoe
Jun 18, 2006, 09:00 PM
Plotinus, I have that problem too, regarding the extra frames. Vuldacon was the one to point it out to me, and he kindly repaired quite a few of my units. That is the only bad thing about Civ3Edit that I can think of.

taube87
Jul 28, 2007, 09:48 AM
i have a small problem since i use vista ;)
(see the screen below)

the animation window is complete white, but the exportfunction works right.
btw: the zoom window looks right, too :D :D :D

CivAnon
Jul 28, 2007, 03:45 PM
I am having the same problem taube87. If someone finds a solution please post it. Thx in advance!

taube87
Jul 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
@ civanon: are you using vista?

CivAnon
Jul 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
yes, sorry I didn't mention it. I've updated vista entirely. Are there any suggestions from Cyber Dreyk or anyone who knows programming? Also, could someone update and/or revise this utility. I really like it although it lacks some prominent features such as a Government Tab, Game Concept editor, etc. This utility really has the potential to somewhat be an All-in-One editor. I'm willing to learn programming.

taube87
Jul 29, 2007, 11:33 AM
i think this isn't a very big problem. someone with a little bit know-how can solve this very quickly.

CivAnon
Jul 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
I agree, though I wish that someone would come forth. Is Cyber Dreyk still around? Azmorg is correct, another programmer should take over if Cyber D is no longer interested in further development.

rotofer
Dec 06, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Fanatix!

Why do you think I am experiencing continuous crashes using Civ3MM? Though an ancient Civ fan I've got the will to create scenarios only a few days ago and got very excited about this Toolkit and so big was my disappointment not being able to do ANYTHING! I create a new scenario with no-matter-what options, it crashes. I try to import from a .biq file, it crashes. And so on. I was surprised that everyone here told this was a great app not mentioning any such errors. But I have to believe you all, it's my bug :) Anyway, before answering my computer is rubbish, everything else runs on it, I don't think about a general system error or a need to reinstall my good old WinXP, but... no idea.

Please if anyone has a minimal clue don't let me grow hungry of creating my scenario for my sweet Civ3!!!

Thanx!!

LilPinoyBoy
Jun 03, 2008, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I'm having troubles with it on Vista. Well that's the only OS I have :crazyeye:.

Anyways, I hope someone can find a fix. I would sure love to edit units and whatnot.

Wotan49
Nov 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
My Vista Ultimate 64 has bad with Civ3FlcEdit:mad:

Please try freshening up with PF5 :D

MfG Wotan49

warmwaffles
Jan 04, 2009, 08:41 PM
Just press F5 to get the program to work

Wotan49
Jan 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
Just press F5 to get the program to work

:blush:
F5 to display for image so that I can show!

:old:
MfG Wotan49

Farsight
Jun 17, 2009, 04:14 PM
When I look try to look at a file in FlcEdit, I just get a white screen where the flic should be. Why?

Wotan49
Jun 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
When I look try to look at a file in FlcEdit, I just get a white screen where the flic should be. Why?

Press F5 an Show go on! :D
any for Vista ;)

Regards
MfG Wotan49
:coffee:

Tigranes
Apr 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
Can someone please tell me if this tool coppies all the flic files from the source scenarion to the new scenario in case you want to transfer a unit? I was able to import an existing unit, but PediaIcon file does not contain any Animate entry for my new (coppied) unit as well as no folder with flic files...

vmxa
Apr 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe someone in the Creation forum could answer that. Steven is building a scenario editor and may know.

Hundsrundz
Sep 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey, i added some units to my scenario by clicking "new" at "scenario file" under "units". Adding my first 10 units was no problem and i could use them in my scenario with civ editor. But all later units i added didnt show up at my scenario anymore. all paths are still the same and correct and all folders and .txt entries are existing. Any ideas ?

Hundsrundz
Sep 22, 2011, 02:54 PM
civ3mm cost me many hours of my life! this programm is hardcore bugged. It screws up my scenarios that hard that i have to make them again. Every time they crash when i start them and there is no way back. Neither can i delete mutliple units at once because randomly out of nowhere all of my units are deleted then, but also when i delete several units single in a row it randomly deletes all units then. "Creating" units doesnt work at all either. Additional, it copies randomly units out of nowhere sometimes. Either iam totally wrong and something happened that noone wanted to happen or it is really that hardcore bugged. Does somebody know ??? All i wanted to do is adding and copieng units to my scenario...

Supa
Oct 22, 2011, 03:03 AM
For future reference, there is a deal-breaking bug within Civ3FLC.

When creating a new FLC, Civ3FLC duplicates the first frame and delete the last one of each direction.

The source code of the tool has been released by the author. I'm hoping someone may take a look and see if it's can be easily fixed.

If you don't know the software and the usual unit-making process, I can walk you through it or/and test each new version. If you're more savy, here's the file I've used to pinpoint the problem.

SteamCiv
Jul 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Maybe this is a program still in unfinished development, or maybe I just installed it wrong but when I open FLC files here is what I get (See attached letterhead):

Win XP
Tools installed in CIV 3 folder

Any ideas on how to correct?
Thanks

Gojira54
Sep 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
any for Vista ;)

Regards
MfG Wotan49

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with Windows 7, but when I hit F5 it crashes out :(

Delta_Strife
Sep 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
any for Vista ;)

Regards
MfG Wotan49

Holy crap that worked for me in windows 7 I can see my boats again!!!! Thanks for the tip.

grimm103
May 03, 2013, 09:36 AM
Is this thread still active

T-mun
May 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
Looking at the dates, it's probably not active anymore. Do you have a question we could answer ?