View Full Version : Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends

Thunderfall
May 10, 2005, 02:46 PM
Found a preview of the second BHG title on PC.IGN.. It's called "Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends".

http://pc.ign.com/articles/611/611391p1.html?fromint=1

It has the hi-tech units like those in Total Annihilation as well as fantasy/magical units like those in Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. :) The city graphics look pretty nice.

Rookie One
May 10, 2005, 02:57 PM
Looks awesome. Sid Meier, eat your heart out.

Then again, I don't want it to become a Warcraft 3 clone.

LLXerxes
May 11, 2005, 05:52 AM
The graphics are nice, but I won't buy it because it turned into a magic game :undecide:

rbis4rbb
May 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
Looks really fun. How will swordsmen compete against tanks though?

Quentin
May 12, 2005, 02:10 AM
Very nice. The graphics style is very unlike anything else I've seen in a game.

CrazyScientist
May 12, 2005, 07:28 AM
From one of the links I read about it:

"In addition to gorgeous graphics, Big Huge Games is licensing the Novadex physics engine. This will translate into realistic physics, of course, but to appreciate what this means to Rise of Legends, all you have to do is watch the chaos erupt when a towering city comes under siege. Towers collapse realistically, knocking down their neighbors, while huge pieces come crashing to Earth, smashing anything below. We even saw a humongous cannon get destroyed, and the heavy barrel fell and began rolling downhill, crushing everything in its path. It'll also be possible to both destroy bridges and create choke points on the map."

Now that sounds pretty darn cool to me. The whole game concept seems awesome.
Take two parts Rise of Nations, add one part Warcraft, one part Starcraft, simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally until 2006. Serve and enjoy.

dojoboy
May 14, 2005, 05:52 AM
I think Reynolds will do a really good job w/ RoL. SMAC after all was his design, from my understanding.

ghostbuster
May 14, 2005, 10:41 AM
Thats physics engine sound pretty cool, but I am not a fan of the whole "magic" thing, especially after I played Warcraft 3 to death. I would hqave loved to see rise of nations still be about civilizations on earth. Oh well....what can I do? Because I dont think we will ever get a RoN that goes back to earth, especially if RoL is a hit(which i can probably guarentee) they will start making those darned irresistible expansion packs.

I am just waiting for Age of Empires 3 (now that looks good!)

covok48
May 14, 2005, 06:34 PM
Oh great, one of *those* games...

Yep, I'll skip this one while waiting for AOE III.

ghostbuster
May 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sure RoL will be totally awesome, but I just don't feel that the whole "magic" and "fantasy" suits RoN. they should leave those kind of game up to blizzard entertainment.

Still cant wait for AOE III, AOE II was possible one of the funnest games I have played, and I find that it does not get boring quickly at all

CivGeneral
May 30, 2005, 02:34 AM
Hmm, a RTS game that takes place in a fanticy world. It does not spark my interest since I perfer playing RTS games that are in the real word :D.

Pablicosta
May 31, 2005, 05:45 AM
Oh dear. A fantastic looking game, wasted by making it magical. Thing is, RoN has its fan base for what it is, and then most of thsoe fans went and bought Thrones and Patriots, so they obviously love the on earth civs thing. If it aint broke, dont fix it-RoN just needed an update, those graphics, and hell, even include the ultra modern techs, but leave the magic out and they'd have another smash hit. Instead, for me this is a Smah It. Ha.

Vietcong
Jun 19, 2005, 08:52 PM
looks gay...

o god not sword units fighting tanks... i hated that in civ!!

Captain2
Sep 16, 2005, 09:34 AM
i think it looks good and if i can find it i'll probably get it, not into magic but meh just join up with the mechanical people and beat the **** out of harry and his little wizard friends :)

looks gay...
you didnt even like normal RON, stfu

Dreadnought
Sep 25, 2005, 07:01 AM
PCGAMER had an article about it....

I may get it, but swords vs tanks?!?

wit>trope
Sep 27, 2005, 07:07 PM
Because I dont think we will ever get a RoN that goes back to earth, especially if RoL is a hit(which i can probably guarentee) they will start making those darned irresistible expansion packs.

I'm sure RoL will be hit but I think RoN will go back to earth one day just like they made Empire Earth 2 even after Empires Dawn of the Modern World or whatever it was called.

Will RoL be similar to Civ? I never played RoN but RoL looks very appealing. It would be so cool to have tanks fighting magic people and stuff and knights fighting marines etc.

What will the system requirements be? I'm sure my processor will handle it (Athlon 64 3500+, 1 GB RAM) but will my graphics handle it? I have Radeon Xpress 200 which is integrated and is 128 MB (so my actual RAM is 128MB lower I guess)

I hope it comes out for PS3 or Xbox360 because otherwise I may just have to upgrade my computer for this!

O, on the official website there is a MIND BLOWING video -- you can download a 800x600 hi res version. Watch the video and you tell me you aren't excited about the game. The screenshots don't do any justice to the video. Video is like 1000 times better!

Mrdie
Oct 07, 2005, 03:30 AM
looks gay...

o god not sword units fighting tanks... i hated that in civ!!
Obviously if you hated the original you are not going to like the sequel. I am also amazed to know that somehow you have the amazing abillity to see units engage in homosexual behavior on some screenshots acording to you calling them "gay"

Fox Mccloud
Oct 09, 2005, 05:24 PM
Looks awesome. Sid Meier, eat your heart out.

Sounds like that would hert!

Dr. Yoshi
Oct 09, 2005, 10:54 PM
From what I've heard this is not a true sequel to Rise of Nations and is rather a branching off of the Rise of Nations franchise. At E3 Big Huge Games said the true sequel to Rise of Nations will be historically based.

Little Raven
Nov 04, 2005, 02:56 PM
Reynolds has never disappointed. This will be a first day purchase for me, no doubt.

taillesskangaru
Jan 21, 2006, 11:29 PM
RoN2 is not a true sequel to Rise of Nations because it's about magic and mystical creatures. Though it'll be interesting how this turns out.

HULKsmash
Feb 25, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yea well its a fantasy game but it does not have traditional fantasy elements such as Orcs, Elves etc. There is the steampunk Vinci, the Arabian Nights inspired Alin and the Alien/God Mayan Coutl.

I for one am glad that they did not just follow the sure-fire way and make RoN with upgraded graphics. Kudos to them for being original. We need more originality in the gaming industry.

GlobalOppressor
Mar 08, 2006, 10:25 PM
The graphics are nice, but I won't buy it because it turned into a magic game :undecide:

My sentiments exactly.

Grohan
Mar 31, 2006, 11:06 AM
Rise of Legends demo is now released. You can get it from here:http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/riseofnationsriseoflegends-demo/index.html

I'm not downloading it because my computer won't handle it but it would be nice to hear opinions about that game :)

davhey04
Apr 01, 2006, 10:38 AM
Rise of Legends demo is now released. You can get it from here:http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/riseofnationsriseoflegends-demo/index.html

I'm not downloading it because my computer won't handle it but it would be nice to hear opinions about that game :)

To save everyone some time - the demo only runs on Windows XP. If you don't have XP, don't download it. (Took me a 9 hour download to figure this out)

lost_civantares
Apr 01, 2006, 11:40 AM
My sentiments exactly.Ok, what would you have said if they did a real world game in exactly the same setting? You would have complained anyway, saying something along the lines that the game was just a copy of the old one, and so needless and shouldn't be made. This has been said when Civ4 was being made, and if they tried it, it would be said with RoN.

No offense, but Apparently they can't win. ;)

sela1s1son
Apr 01, 2006, 04:21 PM
I liked the epic feel of RoN. It was (in my eyes) far better then any of the AoE games as it had a much longer coverage in the timeline, without getting out of hand either... and it didn't get into the futuristic stuff like Empire Earth.

I liked the historical feel, I liked the historical civs. This version to me seems to be catering to the adolescents wanting anime-style stuff/comic book style stuff... which is ok for them and it has its place... but RoN was popular due to its Civilization style.

Sure I like steam punk, but in RoN 2 I'd want a RoN with new mechanics, graphics, civs, units, etc. Not a complete change of theme! If they called it Rise of Legends or something like that (in the tradition of Age of Mythology), then I think that'd be neat.

I don't want uber graphics if the gameplay is weaker. Gameplay first, then graphics. Can't say so much of the gameplay, but it worries me when they focus so much on graphics. For some reason cities/buildings recieving damage in the style of AoE III worries me. Almost like it is more a movie then a game.

---
The alternative: What if they took RoN (updated as a version II should be with new mechanics, etc) and one of the mechanics was this... you could choose (at a certain point) to pursue more religious, scientific, or balanced attitudes. Depending on which (when?) you chose it, could have a significant effect on your civ and its tactics, perhaps even letting you switch every so often. It still wouldn't be RoN, but if you could toggle this option on/off before the game (IE if it was off it'd be more conventional) then that'd be really cool.

To me this game is like a steampunk warhammer style world. Historical influences, but not historical. No real historical civs, but inspired ones.

Sid
Apr 01, 2006, 11:16 PM
It was worth the download for me. I've played a skirmish and part of the first campaign mission. I love it. The graphics are excellent -- although they'll need to tweak the final build for my P4/Radeon 9600 (256MB) graphics card to handle it all.

It feels like RoN, but the building of cities and the individual sides -- Vinci and Alin so far -- are quite different. For me it is somewhat like Starcraft; high praise intended. The heroes add different combat choices and the wide array of units will take some time to fully appreciate. I love the little scout helicopters of the Vinci people.

clut
Apr 02, 2006, 06:31 AM
I get an error when I try to launch the demo. I am running XP but it says it can't find WINHTTP.dll and suggests I re-install. I've tried this but no change.

can anyone search for this file on their system and send it to me. Hopefully this is the only file missing.

lost_civantares
Apr 02, 2006, 11:14 AM
In case anyone is curious this is what they claim is needed for the demo:

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/8808/rol0cf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bigredjeff
Apr 02, 2006, 03:47 PM
i beta tested this game. didn't like it in beta. maybe they fixed it.

Sid
Apr 03, 2006, 06:01 AM
I've only played the demo for a few hours but there is one thing that I'd love BHG to pay more attention to: the use of terrain and the effects of different height levels.

There was a marvellous screenshot in the early days of Vinci troops moving along a mountain path and I expected that there might be the opportunity for ranged units -- particularly artillery -- to fire from heights. I'm not sure that this happens in the game, but' I'd love to see it. It could be just like the old days of using carefully painted miniatures on tabletop terrain.

In RoN, mountains were always inaccessible. The only game in my collection where artillery works as I'd like is the Siege Tanks in Starcraft; any others?

smallstepforman
Apr 05, 2006, 03:28 AM
To install this under Windows 2000, go to the command line (DOS prompt), and from the directory you downloaded the demo type:

Rise_of_Legends_Demo.exe /a

The /a option overrides the version check. MS are a pack of pricks for forcing people to use WXP when W2K has the same kernel (as far as API compatibility is concerned).

I've posted this as a new thread, so mods can make it a sticky.

Tboy
Apr 08, 2006, 02:55 PM
Two questions about this game:

1. When is this game coming out?

2. Will it be a DVD-ROM or a CD-ROM?

Sid
Apr 08, 2006, 03:37 PM
It's due out in mid-May; released 18th in USA and later in the civilised world.

The disc format will depend on your region. In Oz, it is likely to be DVD, Europe also, USA both.

Tboy
Apr 10, 2006, 05:19 AM
Drat... I only asked about the dvd because mine has mucked up at the moment (won't detect dvds). Thanks for the info though, at least its out soon.

Tboy
Apr 10, 2006, 05:29 AM
Hang on, I just checked on amazon, according to the picture of the cover it's in cd-rom format... has anyone seen anything saying different for the UK?

p dandy
Apr 24, 2006, 04:16 PM
It was worth the download for me. I've played a skirmish and part of the first campaign mission. I love it. The graphics are excellent -- although they'll need to tweak the final build for my P4/Radeon 9600 (256MB) graphics card to handle it all.

It feels like RoN, but the building of cities and the individual sides -- Vinci and Alin so far -- are quite different. For me it is somewhat like Starcraft; high praise intended. The heroes add different combat choices and the wide array of units will take some time to fully appreciate. I love the little scout helicopters of the Vinci people.

So would you say that the graphics are better than AOE3? I'm asking this because I wasn't too impressed with what I saw. By looking at the screenshots I had higher expectations which were not met when I played the demo. I have a 7800gt. However my dl might have been corrupted a little (cpu was acting funny with the Nvidia firewall and accessmanager to the point where everything I downloaded was corrupt). One of the wierd problems I had was my cursor couldn't be moved into the bottom third of the screen. I got that the nvidia stuff fixed so I'll try it again eventually.

Sid
Apr 25, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think the graphics are very good, overall not quite as good as AoE3. Yet, I think the unit depictions are better than AoE3 -- figures look like what they represent.

I still haven't found a 3D game that allows hilly terrain to work properly. Both AoE3 and RoL work around this -- unsatisfactorily in my opinion -- by making hills inaccessible. However, if you watch the movie for Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, it looks to be working there.

p dandy
Apr 26, 2006, 10:30 AM
I think the graphics are very good, overall not quite as good as AoE3. Yet, I think the unit depictions are better than AoE3 -- figures look like what they represent.

I still haven't found a 3D game that allows hilly terrain to work properly. Both AoE3 and RoL work around this -- unsatisfactorily in my opinion -- by making hills inaccessible. However, if you watch the movie for Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, it looks to be working there.

That warhammer game is turning out very nice. I never got into the Warhammer table-top gaming franchise but I really enjoyed Dawn of War. I definitely going to pick this one up when it comes out.

darkedone02
Apr 28, 2006, 11:19 PM
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is going to be a great online game, have you heard that the company who made Dark Age of Camalot is making that game? I can't wait to beta-test that game, it might beat the living hell out of World of Warcraft.

dimaliok
Jul 07, 2006, 10:54 AM
:agree: Magic games SUCK

Shaunold
Jul 22, 2006, 03:01 AM
It doesn't look like my cup of tea:( .
I don't like the types of nations they got or just the style.