View Full Version : No Settlers at Start

KrikkitTwo
Jun 16, 2005, 10:38 AM
I've heard that a mod without Military units buildable at the start will crash

What about one with no Settlers buildable at the start (although the civs would Start with a settler, they couldn't Build any)

fe3333au
Jun 16, 2005, 11:10 AM
It would make an interesting game ... starting with an equal number of settlers, thereby limiting the number of cities and resources would have to be colonies

CyberChrist
Jun 16, 2005, 12:15 PM
What about one with no Settlers buildable at the start (although the civs would Start with a settler, they couldn't Build any)Yes, that works. I am currently playing with a severly modified C3C version of my own design - where no civ can ever build Settlers. Instead I have government specific small wonders that produce Settlers at varying intervals - as well as other small wonders as the game progress that build Colonists (Settlers are Wheeled).

This forces the AI to focus on something other than spitting out settlers until entire map is covered with cities. ;)

Rob (R8XFT)
Jun 16, 2005, 12:19 PM
I tried this with Anno Domini. Initially, all civs had one settler to start them off, but had to research Alphabet (which was researchable straight away) to be able to build settlers. The trouble was that some civs didn't actually make a beeline for it and often didn't research it - they kept building units and disbanding them because of the upkeep cost of the units not being viable. It was quite easy to beat these civs as I did make a beeline for the Alphabet tech and was sometimes the only civ with it for some time. In order to resolve these issues, I decided to have a "pre-settler" unit available at the start of the game, which I called a nomad. The nomad costs twice as much as the settler and reduces the population by 3 instead of 2. This meant that researching Alphabet straight away (where you still get the settler) wasn't a necessity, but was still a darned good strategy.

KrikkitTwo
Jun 16, 2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks a lot,

- they kept building units and disbanding them because of the upkeep cost of the units not being viable.

Question on that, what happens when you go bankrupt...Assume that you have several Improvements, units, and negative gpt deals. What happens? does the game sell off All extra units/Improvements and cancel all unpayable deals?
I've heard it only sells off one unit and one improvement, and gpt deals get whatever is left (effectively cancelling them) This seems like a minimal penalty for a large empire. (which could probably rebuild several units/buildings per turn) and could have negative gpts of a several 100.

I guess it does probably destroy your reputation if you have any gpt deals.

BTW how does the AI handle wheeled Settlers.. will it send them to a particular location even though the Settlers can't get there?

CyberChrist
Jun 17, 2005, 03:21 AM
BTW how does the AI handle wheeled Settlers.. will it send them to a particular location even though the Settlers can't get there?No, they only send Settlers to where the Settler can get to - and to where it can Settle.

@R8XFT: Delaying Settler availability to a later tech never seemed to work - it just gives the AI a disadvantage initially and once they get the Settler tech they resume normal Settler-Diarrhea tactics. My approach only gives the player a slight advantage by the awareness of how fast settlers are generated under each government - and there is no excessive settling ever.

fe3333au
Jun 17, 2005, 03:53 AM
Actually CyberChrist ... and i hope this is not thread jacking ... could you expand on your approach, I'm intreged and the Settler-Diarrhea :lol: irks me as well ...

CyberChrist
Jun 17, 2005, 04:41 AM
Well, basicly I made 1 small wonder for each type of government (each requiring the specific government to be build) and they are then set to produce a settler at appropriate intervals.

Since my mod also have several other differences from a normal game (Settlers are wheeled, 1000 turns game, slower techs with min/max research time of 1/999 and all governments before Absolute Monarchy all have Standard Tile Penalty flag on) - the production times I use may very well be too slow for your mod/pace, but then that can easily be modified :)

- Despotism and Feudalism, 1 each 50 turns
- Theocratic Monarchy, 1 each 40 turns
- Absolute Monarchy and Oligarchic Republic, 1 each 60 turns
- Constitutional Monarchy and Federal Republic, 1 each 80 turns
- Communism and Fascism, no extra settler production

I also have a few other small wonders that comes into play later in the game that produce Colonists (which are not wheeled), however getting into those would require a more intense explenation of my mod - heh.

Perhaps I should add that wars are frequent at any age throughout the game and sometimes the AIs still get relatively quite large due to conquests - and rarely do I have a game where a civ or two is not wiped out before I encounter them.

fe3333au
Jun 17, 2005, 05:35 AM
Sound like fun ... and use for explorer unit later in game ... well done ... thanks for the explaination