View Full Version : Opinion on the size of this unit

Bjornlo
Jun 20, 2005, 03:42 AM
I resized my Hummer. The first version was quite large, and somehow the palette got darker when I reduced it from my working size (540x405) to my target size (135x120).
I was fixing both these two problems.

The size is reduced by 15% from v1.0, I also lightened the color using a tip from Wyrmshadow (which kept the palette more precise as the image shrank)
Here is v2.0 of this unit in comparison to my jeep, the v1.0 of my hummer and the generic CIV3 tank.
http://img157.echo.cx/img157/6011/unitsize12br.jpg

Here is the same version 2.0 hummer Avenger lined up with two other hummers... as I recall one is by Kinboat and other is by Ripptide.
http://img157.echo.cx/img157/2898/unitsize27up.jpg

Your thoughts on the scale? Should I decrease it slightly? Maybe another 5-10% or so?

If I redo the size, I might lighten the color some more as well.

Work to be done still on this unit:
I have to fix the default animation. I added a some engine vibration, but in game it is too much. I need to cut it by 1/2.

Varlin Saliptor
Jun 20, 2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, I think it should be a tad smaller myself, but that is just me...

Bjornlo
Jun 20, 2005, 10:14 PM
I tend to agree. But unless there are more opinions then just our two, I'm going to leave it the same size as the other two hummers. I'm fussy about unit size, and never noticed that the other two were a little large until I sized mine to match.

Ares de Borg
Jun 21, 2005, 04:53 AM
Well, I think it's okay in that size. I wouldn't decrease it further or all the details will be lost.

Another question: Do you have the links to those other two hummers? I'd like to put them into the game like I already did with your Avenger. :-)

El Justo
Jun 21, 2005, 07:17 AM
i think that the 15% is plenty. i mean, it looks good next to the others.

Bungus
Jun 21, 2005, 02:17 PM
If you could reduce it an additional 5% or so without losing detail I think it'd lok a little better, but I wouldn't sweat it.

sourboy
Jun 21, 2005, 02:46 PM
at a glance it looks good, which is all that really matters. It's shorter than the modern armor, so don't worry about it. The only thing that sticks out to me is the large/thick antennae.

Bjornlo
Jun 21, 2005, 04:23 PM
Well, I have to ship it as is where is.
I had a significant computer problem last night and lost all 80-90% of my models. Amusingly the HD died while I was building the mirror (RAID). 3 days old and Poof.
If I get a request for a smaller, thinner, etc version from 5 people, I will later re-do this in a 2.1 version.
For now, I need to focus on getting my computer back together.
In the past week, I've had my water cooler fail (leak from the supposedly unbreakable lexan water res.), a HD die (stepper motor) and a Video card fail (Geforce 6800GT lost its ram). And suprisingly none of these are releated.

Goldflash
Jun 21, 2005, 04:29 PM
I had a significant computer problem last night and lost all 80-90% of my models. Amusingly the HD died while I was building the mirror (RAID). 3 days old and Poof.
If I get a request for a smaller, thinner, etc version from 5 people, I will later re-do this in a 2.1 version.
In the past week, I've had my water cooler fail (leak from the supposedly unbreakable lexan water res.), a HD die (stepper motor) and a Video card fail (Geforce 6800GT lost its ram). And suprisingly none of these are releated.

Oh, but you are wrong, Bjornlo. They are Related.

See, My Spectroanylizermabob has detected a field of 'Ebbil Komputer Brakeage" over Whereveryyerfrum, Washington. Uh-huh. It did.

Bjornlo
Jun 21, 2005, 04:42 PM
You can get this unit here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=121886

Except for goldflash, him I want to walk to Washington and carry it home in his teeth while crawling on his hands and knees on hotcoals.
Oh wait, you didn't cause this... only sensed it with your 'bob... ok I'll let you off with just a mad rant.

W.i.n.t.e.r
Jun 21, 2005, 04:50 PM
Sh** mate- :o that is terrible :( you are kidding us right?

Bjornlo
Jun 21, 2005, 04:59 PM
Sh** mate- :o that is terrible :( you are kidding us right?

Nope. The best part is the drive was 3 days old and had my most valuable data (other then photos of my kids) because I was in the middle of setting up a drive-mirror to sheild it.

The video card was annoying, but under warrenty, so I lost nothing but the use of my main computer for 3 days.

The water cooler damaged no other component, since I had the water tank mounted at the bottom of the case.
Repairs will be around 2 days of work, and maybe 100-150.00. So instead I went and switch over to air cooling for now, so I could get the system up faster (I had work to do).
I figured as long as I'm in here, I might as well drop in some larger drives and get my important data on a mirror... boom.