View Full Version : Newbie with a question on the UN.

Jazz_Bassist
Jul 02, 2005, 02:06 AM
Hello, great board. :goodjob:

I borrowed my friends copy of play the world and have started playing on Chieftian. It seems that the UN never votes or does anything in this game. Its just there, and I can't seem to use it for anything.

Do I have to play a higher difficulty for it to do what it is suppossed to do?

Also how do you get a diplomatic victory?

My old friend told me that under a democracy, or a Republic that the senate votes before you go to war.

Is it just that I am playing on suck a low difficulty I am missing out on stuff?

Grohan
Jul 02, 2005, 02:11 AM
First welcome to CFC :goodjob: :band: [party]

The reason why UN doesn't work is that you haven't enabled diplomatic victory.

Diplomatic victory (borrowed from civilopedia):
Getting yourself elected to the head of the United Nations requires excellent diplomatic skills.
After the United Nations is built, there
are periodic votes by the council (all other civs) to elect a Leader. To be elected, a candidate must win a majority of all votes.
If you are the one, you win the game.

There are always two, and sometimes three, candidates. To be a candidate in an election a civilization must, either:
* have built the UN.
* control at least 25% of the world's territory.
* control at least 25% of the world's population.

If only one civilization is eligible, then the second candidate is the civilization with the largest population.

Senate is old Civ2 feature what isn't in Civ3.

Jazz_Bassist
Jul 02, 2005, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the warm welcoming band. :cool:

I did enable the diplomatic victory icon, right before the game started. I won the game and I am still playing it into 2167 AD, because I am kicking tail now. LOL

mmmmmm...maybe something is wrong with my game....?

Grohan
Jul 02, 2005, 02:59 AM
If you own UN, every 11th turn you should be asked if you want to hold UN vote. If AI civ controls UN maybe that civ doesn't want to hold votes.

When UN was built?

Have you patched PTW to the newest version (1.27f)?

Zydiax
Jul 02, 2005, 05:43 AM
The UN doesn't do anything else then holding the vote for Diplomatic Victory.
Nothing's wrong with your game.

watorrey
Jul 02, 2005, 08:39 AM
Once the game is over and you continue playing, the other victory conditions will not initiate another win. Time to start a new game.

vmxa
Jul 02, 2005, 03:28 PM
That is the deal, the game was already won or lost and so no victory conditions exist, no UN votes will be called.