View Full Version : Free-form roleplaying...

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 03:12 PM
I was thinking, why don't we start a roleplaying thread, free-form (just write about a character and whatever he does). Like I'll write a story about some guy named Bob and he goes around meeting people.

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11425&highlight=roleplaying

From a online game forum I used to frequent a few years ago...

I want to free form Roleplay

But I need your help to do it. I need some adventurers, a la swordsmen, magicians, shamans/spiritualists, even thieves. To form a proud little band of adventurers!

I'll be Capulet, the wandering Knight/Poet. ;)

MSTK
Jul 15, 2005, 03:14 PM
Or better yet, a Roleplaying forum?

A stickied thread for character profiles (so you can look up people you're RPing with)?

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 03:16 PM
Well, we have to start from somewhere. If people are actually interested, we could ask for a forum. But a thread(s) will be sufficient for now.

Cuivienen
Jul 15, 2005, 03:20 PM
I don'tknow if you could get a Roleplaying forum on CFC as CFC is completely unrelated to roleplaying. NESes only get their own forum because they were originally based on Civ3, although I suppose you might be able to get a spot in "All Other Games."

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 03:23 PM
I don't want a forum. I just want a thread. :p

MSTK
Jul 15, 2005, 03:39 PM
Well, I guess you could always just start one right here, right now?

Gelion
Jul 15, 2005, 03:56 PM
Guys?!!! Lets get further than that. We are NESers for Gods sake! WE write, we build, invent, create! Roleplaying and writing stories is possible for those who like it. But as we know too many people try to win. If we want roleplay - lets create the universe characters live it. Write some rules. Guards, Kings, taverns, lists of mercahndise, skills, roads, maps - we can all create that. If we want a new forum (I've got one already) its going to be very convenient to use it for our grand project.
I've never been big on small, but think about what we can do. Its a lot of work, but we can pull this off.

Erik Mesoy
Jul 15, 2005, 04:11 PM
This has been done once or twice in this forum. Browse the archive.

Gelion
Jul 15, 2005, 04:12 PM
Since you know this, can you at least give me names? I'd really like to see it.

blackheart
Jul 15, 2005, 04:22 PM

Yea, a certain NES with a city named Nessos that was never updated by a certain someone :(.

Insane_Panda
Jul 15, 2005, 04:49 PM
I RP at this place - historical RP, based on nations.

http://s12.invisionfree.com/Road_to_War_RPG/index.php?act=idx

Erik Mesoy
Jul 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
Hail to the thread of the ancients! (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65286) :salute:

<private joke>
WAAA WHY DID THEY EVER CANCEL THE CIVFANATICS RPNES??
</private joke> :crazyeye:

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
Eh, let's just start here and now, and see where it goes.

Like MSTK suggested.

Rules and such would be much to restricting, I think. I don't think a big project is really necessary. Let's just roleplay, without the complex stuff! :)

Kozmos
Jul 15, 2005, 06:04 PM
I did some RPing a while ago on another board,people argued and things escalated into a flamewar which lead to the nukage of the site.I have just started to return to RPing *sigh*

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 06:09 PM
Flaming is fun, some of the nesers of old would attest to you my flame skills.

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 06:11 PM
Capulet looked towards the door as he brisked passed a bar table. He was leaving a pub he that he had found while in the countryside... unfortunately, he did not find what he was looking for. He looked around before he left the door. The pub's patrons gave him odd looks as he walked out. Yes... he could understand why they would be suspicious of him. People like him only visited pubs when they wanted something. Something important.

Erik Mesoy
Jul 15, 2005, 06:16 PM
Maybe we should sort of agree on a general setting, technology era and power level first?

(Of course, I'm not too averse to something looking like a Star Wars / D20 Modern / AD&D crossover.)

Finmaster
Jul 15, 2005, 06:19 PM
Eckhart was sitting on a bar table. He had just lost his last money gambling, therefore it was his last beer and then he would have to leave due to lack of money. Eckhard noticed a strange man looking around at the bar door before leaving. He didn't pay much attention to it since he wanted to enjoy his last beer, but he wouldn't get that strange man out of his head that easily: he looked like a man looking for something, while Eckhart had a strange feeling that he had something important in his pocket. He couldn't quite remember what it was that he had, though, since he was too damn drunk. Soon he passed out. Maybe he would find something from his pocket in the morning..?

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 06:26 PM
Ferdinand had just got up from winning all of Eckhart's money. Stupid fool he thought as he staggered to the bar for another drink, a beer known by the name of Hodgonson's and brewered locally. Looking back at the very drunk gambling compainion back at the table he noticed that he was muttering something. Casually he looked towards the door. A strange man with something of value?? possibly in his pocket???, Ferd was unsure, however he was sure that he would cross paths with this stranger once more. He looked back over at his table, Eckhart had finally slipped into uncosnciousness. Just enough time to slip enough money for the fool to feed his family with and then be off to do a job..... after all it wasn't everday you were contracted to kill the mayor.

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 07:16 PM
Maybe we should sort of agree on a general setting, technology era and power level first?

(Of course, I'm not too averse to something looking like a Star Wars / D20 Modern / AD&D crossover.)

I would say it would be even better in a medievel setting. These things usually are. Say a small non descripit city in a European Kingdom during the middle ages?

North King
Jul 15, 2005, 07:22 PM
I would say it would be even better in a medievel setting. These things usually are. Say a small non descripit city in a European Kingdom during the middle ages?

Why not invent our own as we go along? Keeping it medieval, but invent the details, the geography, as we write?

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 07:23 PM
That would be the best bet. Perhaps we should actually start a new thread for the actual story starting from the three mini-stories we have already...

North King
Jul 15, 2005, 07:36 PM
Indeed we should. I might actually join in if I could figure out what the heck was going on. :)

Capulet
Jul 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
I agree! We will make up a map as we go... I'd like it to stay on a fantasy/medieval type of scheme.

Capulet stepped out into the cold night. As he slowly walked along a path towards town, he looked around him. He had an eerie feeling that he was being watched... not by one, but by many eyes. But he realized that he was used to living with a burden on his shoulders... it didn't matter if anyone was watching him. Let them watch, let them cringe. The dirt path had the footprints of man and horse alike. The pub was on the outskirts of the town of Rosia. Rosia was a gated town, with wood barricades surrounding it. It had been fortified for as long as Capulet remembered. He never really cared to ask why, but apparently Rosia had faced some sort of danger before, and needed protection. "I'll have to ask someone about that," he thought in his head.

He walked towards the gate, and when he arrived there, he knocked on it. A little slot near the middle of the gate opened. "What is your business?" a pair of eyes asked him. Capulet replied in a cold manner, "My business is none of your business." The pair of eyes seemed offended and it's pride hurt, but it quickly regained its posture. "Well, your business is my business. If you want to enter the town, you will have to speak your business." Capulet let out a little laugh. He answered the pair of eyes, "I am here on business, actual business. You know, the business involving other businesses." The pair of eyes also giggled and replied, "Hah. Very well, you may enter."

Capulet put his hand on the grip of his sword, and cautiously watched as the gate opened.

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 07:55 PM
Meanwhile Ferd had been planning the night's adventure for some time. He quickly scaled the walls of Rosia at a low point and dropped to the other side, unseen by the lax and poorly trained town watch. Indeed the city would benefit from the death of the Mayor, the man who stole from all the poor souls that had the misfortune of living in this miserable place.

Slowly he stalked through the streets of the town, past the Bakery who had yet to begin baking, past the stables with the casual snorts of the horses within, telling the assasin that all was asleep. There ahead of him stood the Mayoral Palace, it was time to go to work.....

North King
Jul 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
"You there!" he called.

"Yes, you!"

A man stood in the shadow of a house, just in front of the Mayoral palace, apparently studying the building intently. When Traedyn spoke, he jumped. Traedyn hurried forward, and drew his sword. It gleamed whitely in the moonlight, as did his cloak, and the scaled armor he wore. All white. Something symbolic there, no doubt.

"Just what the bloody hell do you think you're doing? This is Rosia, not some bloody village, and we will stop breakins! You may have slipped past the City Watch, or however you got in, or you may be a tramp from the streets. But the Mayor of the Palace has a personal guard, and we Whitecloaks are not apt to let scum like you in."

He studied the man head to toe. Definately someone not to be trusted.

"Go on, clear off!" he said, pointing his sword back down the street. "I don't want to have to tell you again! Go!"

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 08:14 PM
The man stood there his shiny sword, so shiny that it obviously had never been used waving inches in front of the assasins face. However the man was not a fighter, and fairly young. Not a challenge.

'Leave now of face the consquences' Ferdinand told the young villager
'This is my town, you leave!' the nameless man replied
'Have it your way'

Working deftly the assasin used his cloak to entrap the sword , disarming his 'attacker'. At the same time the assasin drew a jewled dagger, a present from a long ago sweetheart now killed by mauraders in their annual rampages. Thursting the silver blade lanced the man's belly leaving him writhering in agony.

'I shall spare your life, if you feel it is your duty, come and hunt me, I shall be ready, Next time we meet I will not be so kind. Now shut up or I will slit your throat.'

Ferdinand turned back to the mayor's palace. Casually he began to put venom on the blade that would end the corrupted offical's life.

Sheep
Jul 15, 2005, 08:20 PM
Stalking through the midst the asassasin entered the mayor's chamber where him and his wife lay on the featherdown bed, fat with their corrpution and with their people outside on the brink of starvation. Quickly the blade was drawn once more, and raced accross the Mayor's throat. He used a towel from the bedchamber to stemn the flow of blood and left a rose in the mayor's wife's hands, his calling sign.

It was now time to leave, back to the pub, and his lodgings to await the next call for his services.

North King
Jul 15, 2005, 08:27 PM
He staggered, a knife wound in his belly. Pain. Horrible pain... He groped for something on his belt, and the assassin did not apparently notice as he sprinkled the substance on his belly. The bleeding stopped. He stared down at it in surprise. So country potion sellers were good for something. He gingerly prodded the wound and let out a fresh howl of pain. So it was only clotted, not healed.

"Bloody hell."

He rose, a hand protecting his belly. He frowned at his sword, which lay on the ground.

"Great help you were."

Why the hell was he talking to his sword?

Traedyn picked it up, and looked warily around for any attackers. To hell with the Mayor; it wasn't like he cared about him. But that assassin might still be around. A shame he was so skilled in the use of a cloak; Traedyn wanted to see how well he would have stood up to the First Sword of the Whitecloaks.

He staggered off to his apartments, which were only a short distance away. But who knew what would happen now? The Mayor of the Palace of Rosia dead? That would certainly put a considerable problem in the local region's politics. War would probably come out of this. And Famine. And Plague. Not that they didn't have those already, but whenever something bad happened, it was bound to foretell War, Famine, and Plague.

He lurched in the door and set to fixing his damned belly. If only he hadn't been so bloody tired that bloody night... Maybe he could have stopped the man. But no matter. The wound would heal, and he was still the best swordsmen in the city, if not the world. And a cursed good lancer. The war would need men like him. For there would be a war. There always would be a war.

Finmaster
Jul 16, 2005, 06:26 AM
After being passed out for half a day, Eckhart woke up from outside the bar. Apparently they had thrown him to the street after he had passed out. It had been a bad night in all ways, a guy who had introduced himself as Ferdinand had won all his money on a game of poker. Ferd had had 3 kings and Eckhard believed that he had a straight, thus he had put all his remaining money in the game; unfortunately, being as wasted as he had been, he had failed to realize that 4,5,6,7,9 did not form a straight. They formed absolutely nothing. "I'm never going to gamble again when I'm drunk", he told to himself, knowing that his decision would not last longer than a week.

But.. why was his pocket so heavy?

Then he remembered. A strange stranger running to the bar in fear, asking him to take a weird-looking object, and then running out. Then another stranger had entered the bar, clearly looking for something else than alcohol. The man had looked around for a while and then left the bar.

Eckhart browsed through his pockets and indeed found something very strange. A black object which he couldn't quite indentify and a note saying: "Capulet is looking for this. Don't let him find it." The former of the two strangers visiting the bar had given him this; perhaps the ladder had been this mystical "Capulet" who had been looking for it? That was a question which would never be answered, since Eckhart had no memories what the stranger had looked like.

But that very moment Eckhart decided to find out the secrets of that mystical black.. thing. And for that, he would have to find Capulet, whoever he was. That was Eckhart's new mission for life. He gazed towards and saw the town ports of Rosia and started to walk towards them. But apparently the alcohol hadn't quite left his blood yet, because the guard yelled: "Stop right there! You drunken bastard are most certainly NOT going to enter our beautiful town, especially now that the mayor has been assasinated! Go get yourself sober first!"

Questions rose in Eckhart's head. Had the mayor really been assasinated? Could it have something to do with these recent strange events that had happened to him? How could the guard know that he was a bastard child?

"Too many questions for one hang-over morning", he thought to himself. "I need a beer." And so he walked back to the bar where he had left from.

Sheep
Jul 16, 2005, 04:04 PM
Ferd awoke, dressed in his nightshirt. Dressing, he changed his appearance, simply by removing the fake beard and changing clothes. Wandering downstairs to the pub area he notices Eckhart had already begun for the day. 'Fool' mutteref Ferd, 'How does he sit there day in day out'

However having noone else there for the time being awaiting the turning up of a mysterious black talisam of considerable power and trying to prevent it to fall into the wrong hands. His masters needed it as the item was indeed holy. It was hard being an assasin-monk of the Catholic Church, however he had preformed a duty last night removing, permamnently a corrupt offical, and that apparently had included Church property........

Gelion
Jul 16, 2005, 04:09 PM
Strider entered the city. The guards by the gate were not a problem. "more money, more money, more money" "If they think I'm made of gold they now must reconsider. After they wake" "Now where is that tavern? My contect should be there now". As the rain poured Strider opened the taqvern doors and dissapeared in the dark of it.

Gelion
Jul 16, 2005, 04:34 PM
"The Mayor is dead" - this news was all over the Tavern. "I shouldn't have entered that way, not today. My temper shall take revenge on me one day" - thought Strider. The place was full of people some looked happy, some worried. Its clear that Rosia was not the best place to live, but now uncertainity plagued some and made happy some others. Striders business was not to do with the townpeople, nor the city itself. But now perhaps it is time to use it. Lets look for him.... red beard, bold man with sable-like tiger teeth, some dirty peasants, some minor dealers, a drunk guard, some Catholic Monks... the usual lot, but the contact was not there. Suddenly the doors were opened with a quick hit. An armed men dressed all white entered the room. He quickly drew attention to himself. Some locals approached him. He was tall, warrior like, little tanned (sign of a traveller in these lands) and appeared to endure much pain. Strider watched the conversation sipping a glass of beer. After 7 minuted ot talk the man left in the same hurry that he came in. Two warrior looking "persons without an occupation" followed him. "It looks like the secret police is working well here, but not well enough. At least I am clear now". A man approached his table. "Lord Rifa!"
"Quiet my boy. I did not make it this far by being bold and neither should you. Luckily the guards you knocked out are blamed on that assasin and as you probably saw we are now clear to talk"
"Guards I knocked out? How do you...."
"Do you think I'd miss your entrance into Rosia? I had to welcome you at the gate. Your training is still there I congratulate you. But you will not endanger the mission anymore than you did. We will not get lucky next time".
"Yes understood. Did you get it?"
"No, but I know who had it. I sent a men after him. We should be able to get a deal, so don;t worry. In the meanwhile I need to talk strategy to you. This death of Mayor is very convenient for us. This city could become a base for our raider operations. See to it"
"Now? What are you?..."
"Nothing, I just changed your assignment. You stay here and I go back with the good news."
Lord Rifa stood up. "You can have my room. I leave tonight. Through the same gate ;)"

Kozmos
Jul 16, 2005, 04:52 PM
How about that we work on the setting and the map before RPing?I'd like to know where I am and how much fantasy there is in this RP :)

Gelion
Jul 16, 2005, 04:55 PM
Just make it :) Capulet said - medieval/fantasy environment, now we understand there's Catholic monks, corrupt city of Rosia and mayor assasinated :) Like with the NESes of old - if you go for a win you get ignored. So play :) You can start by talking about that sabletooth-like bold man in the tavern....

Finmaster
Jul 16, 2005, 05:34 PM
And don't forget a bar outside Rosia.

Otherweise Eckhart will be very bored ;)

Gelion
Jul 17, 2005, 03:23 AM
Is that all you came up with in 10 hours? :cry: I wanted to write more when I got back, but now..... I'm going to wait :(

Kozmos
Jul 17, 2005, 06:27 AM
Heres a map,sure its morrowind but I just wanna see the reactions on it.

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/5062/mapmorrhuge7ab.jpg

Finmaster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:46 AM
Eckhart will remain drinking in the bar outside Rosia for the next 5 days, since I'll be going away for that time. He will return to his adventures after that ;)

Gelion
Jul 17, 2005, 08:16 AM
OOC: Bah... Can I use him for my story? If yes is he local?

Sheep
Jul 17, 2005, 11:06 PM
'Strider is here' A whisper from the dark told Ferd. Indeed tht is news! Ferd and Strider has a bit of a history as Strider had thrawted Ferd many times and vicea versa. He is too late this time around thought Ferd, I have killed the mayor just have to find the holy talisam. Easy. He sat down at the table with Eckhart who seemed to be pondering something. Who knows where that sacred artifact would turn up?

Dachs
Jul 18, 2005, 09:30 AM
OOC: How many copyright laws is this violating? If you don't want polar bears screwing up the universe better keep me out.

Kozmos
Jul 18, 2005, 10:09 AM
As far as I know none.Its not like we are trying to make money off of it.Besides I found it on another site,those who digitalized then should be busted and they are not,so have no fear.Of course anyone with expert knowledge on copyrights is welcome to warn me of potential dangers.

So any comments on the map?I say that we start in Caldera.

Gelion
Jul 18, 2005, 10:13 AM
Hmmm what city is Rosia? (we can rename any one). I'd rather now go with free roleplay...

Kozmos
Jul 18, 2005, 04:27 PM
Nightfall was upon Rosia.The rain was falling so hard on Ren like all the angels in the heaven decided to take a piss at the same time.In situations like this he could only think in metaphors.Ren could sense the uncertainty and worry in the air."Oy mates ave you erd de nuwz,de majer as ben killt."-said the drunken peasent to his also drunk buddies,and as is to be expected they lifted their glasses and cheered,celebrating the death of their corrupted mayor.Though its not the death of the mayor that concerned Ren,it was that someone killed him before him.Ren needed some information,so he put away his Black Hand Dagger and other weapons.He jumped down from the roof of the tavern and entered it.He sat down,rain draining from his black cloak.

"Do you have some insight on who killed the mayor?"-Ren asked an old man who seemed to know things.
"I cant seem to remember,but some gold might jog this old memory of mine.....Ah the shiny gold has sparked my memory.Rumor has it that a man in a cloak,with a beard stabbed one of the guards and then killed the mayor with a toxin of some kind."
"Cloak and a beard,eh?Not really much to go on.Where's the mayors body right now?"
"Its still in his manor but they are going to move it soon."
He left the tavern and headed towards the mayors house to collect something...