View Full Version : What can I do?

bugmenot17
Oct 26, 2005, 10:53 AM
I have a 800MHz Pentium 3, Voodoo 5 graphics card and 448 MB of RAM. I have no options (money) to upgrade.

Should I buy the game anyway? I would really like to play it.

thedohman
Oct 26, 2005, 12:59 PM
Your voodoo 5 does not support T&L....

there are some other posts regarding that requirement, so far inconclusive. Keep monitoring this forum to see how others fair with older video cards. You have enough RAM, video's probably your only thing to worry about.

BTW, new video cards can be had for $30 on sale... check out newegg.com
do you know what kind of slot you have for it? if it's AGP, check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139156

$31 + $5 for US 3 day shipping, should work for you. (and newegg has CIV 4 too, for 46.90 + 3.00 shipping to get both eggs with one payment, if you're in US)

bugmenot17
Oct 26, 2005, 09:57 PM
Well, video card is not the only problem. The recommended CPU speed for this game is 1.5 GHz, mine is about 50% slower, not to mention the missing instructions and additional L2 cache that the new CPUs have. Also, I have 64MB less RAM than recommended, and even the RAM that I have is still DIMM, which means slow.

I have Civ3, and that one runs BARELY satisfactory on my machine now as it is. Now, note the Civ3 minimum requirements: Pentium 2 300MHz and 32MB of RAM.

According to this, I should have at least 3GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, and the latest/fastest ATI/nVIDIA graphics card for Civ4 to run normally as expected.

I've always noticed how game makers announce at least 3 times lower system requirements than they appear later in the real world when you actually play the game.

On the side note, I figure that most (if not all) game makers don't have the guts to make a new game with the same old LOW system requirements without the overdone cosmetics, but improved gameplay and 100% fixed bugs instead.

Comraddict
Oct 26, 2005, 09:58 PM
Without TnL you're doomed. With that CPU you can run only Internet Explorer and Firefox. Sorry dude.

bugmenot17
Oct 26, 2005, 10:04 PM
Without TnL you're doomed. With that CPU you can run only Internet Explorer and Firefox. Sorry dude.
True enough. It makes one wonder how we were able to browse the internet 10+ years ago.

Quark35
Oct 26, 2005, 10:27 PM
I have a 800MHz Pentium 3, Voodoo 5 graphics card and 448 MB of RAM. I have no options (money) to upgrade.

Should I buy the game anyway? I would really like to play it.

This is a joke question right???:mischief:

bugmenot17
Oct 26, 2005, 10:31 PM
This is a joke question right???:mischief:
Not really. Those specs are real, I don't have the means to upgrade, and I would really like to play this game.

DrEvil1996
Oct 26, 2005, 11:07 PM
Not really. Those specs are real, I don't have the means to upgrade, and I would really like to play this game.

He is asking if it is a joke because there is almost certainly no way to run it on a 800 mhz processor without T&L. Don't buy the game if you can't upgrade, that's my plan if it clearly won't work.