View Full Version : Help! Menu buttons don't appear on screen!

nxo1
Oct 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
When I start the game the Take 2 and Openning Sequence dont show on my screen. The program goes to the main screen of the clouds rotating over the earth with day and night but no menu buttons apear to go any further! clicking on the screen doesnt initiate any further action. Any one know what to do?

Cidrick
Oct 26, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm having this problem, too. I have an ATI X800XL. Reinstalling the game doesn't work. Installing ATI's Catalyst 5.10 drivers didn't fix it. Trying to play the game in windowed mode doesn't fix it, either.

:(

SailorDeath
Oct 26, 2005, 12:45 PM
My friend was having the same problem. He fixed it by installing the most current video driver AND sound card drivers. It may sound bizzare but I had a similar problem with a different game. I hope that helps.

Cidrick
Oct 26, 2005, 12:54 PM
Still no luck, after updating both sound and video card drivers. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 26, 2005, 01:30 PM
It's as if the menu buttons are invisible but i can mouse over them and click them sometimes. It seemed to work the first time, but I had alt-tabbed out to desktop to talk to a friend in ICQ for a bit and when i came back to Civ 4, i had this problem.

Cidrick
Oct 26, 2005, 01:41 PM
If anyone is curious, this (www.cidrick.org/brokenmenu.jpg) is what my main menu looks like.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 26, 2005, 01:51 PM
I updated my graphics drivers in hopes of resolving the issue. It SEEMED to run fine at first, when i saw the intro movies and the menu. I clicked "tutorial" then it went out to desktop where it did the Init XML and other things in the rectangular box in the middle of the screen. The game went into full screen again, then i saw a colored screen with sound (as if a intro was supposed to be playing, but without video) and then it went to the globe without a menu.

This is a horrible game breaking bug - I cant even play the game ;\

P.S. that's what my my main menu looks like too, Cidrick

jsmiley
Oct 26, 2005, 03:20 PM
this is the same problem i was having. i went to the nVidia website and downloaded the latest driver and now as far as i can tell everything is ok. just go get the latest driver for whichever graphics card you have.

also, note that it wont work unless you remove your current video device driver before even downloading the new one.

"control panel" to "add/remove software" to do this.

hope it helps!!

Fred the Great
Oct 26, 2005, 04:01 PM
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my system. I have a 6800 Ultra card and reinstall won't work. Any help would be fantastic.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 26, 2005, 04:02 PM
I've tried that - removing the driver/control panel completely, even going so far as to using driver cleaner to remove all traces (while in safe mode), then installing the new driver.

It seems to work fine the first time, but on subsequent attempts to restart the game (or the first time if i pick tutorial, which makes it go out to desktop and do some startup sequence), the problem shows up again.

Cidrick
Oct 26, 2005, 04:16 PM
Whoah, weird, so this problem is completely seperate from the ATI "Failed to initialize renderer" bug? It would seem so if NVidia cards are having it happen to them, too.

I just removed everything ATI from my control panel, booted into safemode, ran drivercleaner, and then put on the Catalyst 5.10a beta drivers. Still the same problem. No video, no menu.

For kicks I got the game to load the tutorial by doing some blind clicking. It crashed to desktop as soon as the invisible Sid finishes speaking his first sentence. Great!

SailorDeath
Oct 26, 2005, 04:24 PM
The exiting and reloading on the tutorial is normal. It does that for me too, but I'm not having any problems with it.

nemo2
Oct 26, 2005, 05:28 PM
I have been having the same problem. Missing menu buttons et all. I followed jsmiley's advice and it worked :goodjob:

Big Thanks to J.

For anyone new to driver installing (like me) here is what I did.
1. remove old drivers (as jsmiley said): control panel - add/remove software
2. reboot system
3. placed the 1st cd in and went to the readme. It has links to the major vendors.
4. saved the download.
5. ran the download (double clicked on it).

I know many of you here will be like 'doh' but I've never done this and there may be some others also.

I still have the sound breaking up so I think I need audio drivers as well. But since I have the game up and running I will live without sound for awhile.

Wanna kick some butt first. :)

Hope youze get your problems solved. See you in about 10 days or so.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 26, 2005, 06:05 PM
yes i know the exiting and reloading on the tutorial is normal :) That isnt the problem. The problem is not being able to play the game because of inability to see the menu.

Cidrick
Oct 26, 2005, 08:44 PM
Well, editing the config file and setting AudoEnable = 0 fixed the problem for me. Now I have no sound, but hey, I can play.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
This problem isnt affecting me atm. Now I'm getting the failed to initilize renderer problem -_-

APushkin
Oct 27, 2005, 02:07 PM
oops... didn't see this thread when I posted mine on the same problem.
In my case it was the drivers. See this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133728) for more info.

Sydney_Bristow
Oct 27, 2005, 05:58 PM
Fixed the problem with the fix posted at Apolyton!

Works perfectly now.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140859

DJ2003
Oct 27, 2005, 08:07 PM
my friend is having this problem too, gainward geforce 5950 card. we're trying the new gainward drivers now and then I might try the nvidia drivers too if that doesn't work.