View Full Version : Latest ATI Drivers

ainwood
Oct 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
With thanks to Moose @ Firaxis.

Here are the latest ATI drivers:

# Radeon® display driver 8.18
# Catalyst™ Control Center version 5.10

LAPTOP:
Laptop drivers (https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293)
DESKTOP:
Desktop Drivers. (https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=640)

1. ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be installed.
2. You must have Microsoft .NET Framework installed prior to downloading and installing the CATALYST Control Center
3. The Catalyst Uninstaller is an optional download. We recommend using this utility to uninstall any previously installed Catalyst drivers prior to installation.

BTW - you can get the .Net framework here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en) if you don't have it already.

picklion
Oct 26, 2005, 06:32 PM
I can't see where the 8.18 drivers are on those sites and the catalyst thing keeps telling me it can't be installed on my system(with no reason why). If you or anyone else has any info on where to get some ATI drivers please tell me.

Speaker
Oct 26, 2005, 06:42 PM
File=6.14
Driver=8.18
Catalyst=5.10
They are the same thing.

If you try to download file 8.18 from ATI's site, it won't work because it is a Linux file.

picklion
Oct 26, 2005, 06:45 PM
Ok that clears up my problem because I have file version 6.14.00...etc
but the graphics thing is still there. I suppose we're all going to have to wait until we get a response from the creators on this issue.

Speaker
Oct 26, 2005, 06:46 PM
They are working hard on it.

stich0602
Oct 26, 2005, 06:50 PM
sry.. 2 different driver types here... you can delete this

Iskan
Oct 26, 2005, 07:01 PM
"Lost" is coming up. Good show. And TV doesn't give any rendering error messages.
But... :mad: I'd rather play Civ and tape the show. Darn. it is frustrating. Civ has been my favorite game since the beginning.

Iskan
Oct 26, 2005, 07:05 PM
Oo-oo-oo! One frustration after another. Today's "Lost" is a repeat. Goodness gracious.

clipset
Oct 26, 2005, 07:29 PM
links don't work for ati

snowg00n
Oct 26, 2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, this did nothing, running with ati mobility radeon x600 and couldn't install catalyst 5.10...because?

iamhurtin
Oct 26, 2005, 11:36 PM
try the beta cats that are out
see if that fixes ur prob

TNRandy
Oct 27, 2005, 08:02 AM
The following ATI graphics driver will work for the Sony VIAO PCG-GRV680 laptop computer and can be found on the Sony website:

ATI Radeon Mobility 9000

Driver Date: 7/30/2003

Driver Version: 6.14.10.6382

s3d
Oct 27, 2005, 08:25 AM
Web page for laptops drivers in the first post is not so good - ATI blocking download of the drivers for some laptops

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133551

If you can not download mobile drivers from that page go to
http://ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/

snowg00n
Oct 27, 2005, 12:54 PM
s3d - thank you. i'm running on a mobility radeon x600, and following your link, http://ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/, got me the update i needed. everything in the game looks beautiful, especially on 1440 x 900. now, only 2 hours till i can leave the office and play.

this forum saved my life.

shadahi
Oct 27, 2005, 03:12 PM
this is the version I am running:

Driver Packaging Version 8.18-050914a1-027256C-ATI
CATALYST™ Version 05.10
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6575
2D Driver File Path System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{8B6BD26F-52A3-4810-9B7A-5CD580CD19FC}\0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0347
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.5396
CATALYST™ Control Center Version 1.2.2084.76
AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238
AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

I'm pretty sure it the latest driver pack.

I uninstalled my old drivers (reboot) installed 5.10 (reboot) installed civ IV with the dx on the disk (reboot)

nada

radeon 5550 se
(I meet ALL the min reqs and then some)

Al Fredo
Oct 27, 2005, 04:09 PM
I went to http://ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/ and ran it, and got "INF error. Video driver not found." Any thoughts?

s3d
Oct 28, 2005, 03:18 AM
I went to http://ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/ and ran it, and got "INF error. Video driver not found." Any thoughts?
Hmm, on my computer it's installed without problem.
Have you got the file 5-10-mobile_xp_dd_ccc_enu_26777.exe ?
THen you run it it's unpuck itself into
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-10-mobile_xp_dd_ccc_enu_26777\
and the only inf file is ee is
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-10-mobile_xp_dd_ccc_enu_26777\Driver\XP_INF\CX_26777. inf

Check your unpucked directory - is this file present ?
If it's not you have a problem while unpucking file, or may be file was not completly downloaded.
Also - this driver only for laptops, not desktops.
It alsoo seems from inf file that only card starting from 9500 or better supported , but I may be wrong here :
"ATI MOBILITY FIRE GL T2/T2e" = ati2mtag_M10GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E54
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3100" = ati2mtag_M22GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5464
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200" = ati2mtag_M24GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3154
"ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5000" = ati2mtag_M26GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_564B
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9500" = ati2mtag_M10, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E52
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9550" = ati2mtag_M12, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E56
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series" = ati2mtag_M10, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E50
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9800" = ati2mtag_M18, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4A4E
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300" = ati2mtag_M22, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5460
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 " = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3152
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 SE" = ati2mtag_M24C, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5462
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700" = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5653
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 " = ati2mtag_M26, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5652
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X800" = ati2mtag_M28, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5D4A
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X800 XT" = ati2mtag_M28, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5D48

Harre
Oct 28, 2005, 05:49 PM
Here's a nice tool to let you install the official Ati drivers on a laptop with ati mobility

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Use it at your own risk though.

alamo
Oct 29, 2005, 08:37 AM
This is for older cards, according to the doc.

It didn't do anyhting for me - Radeon 9550.

Driek Desmet
Oct 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
Here's a nice tool to let you install the official Ati drivers on a laptop with ati mobility

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Use it at your own risk though.

Also get the same error after the patje ""INF error. Video driver not found."
It's an Mobile Radeon 7500 inside an R51 IBM

damason
Oct 30, 2005, 09:40 AM
I get the same message; I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. I have reinstalled my drivers from the DELL site but all I get is the game to load but no Firaxis or 2kgames video and no menu to choose from -- just the globe in the background and CIV IV logo.

I'm not the only one with the no menu problem (see the Help...no menu thread). But it seems that most people get it solved with updated drivers. But I can't update mine and my card meets the CIV IV requirements! Any more suggestions?

Old Dood
Oct 30, 2005, 09:44 AM
I get the same message; I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. I have reinstalled my drivers from the DELL site but all I get is the game to load but no Firaxis or 2kgames video and no menu to choose from -- just the globe in the background and CIV IV logo.

I'm not the only one with the no menu problem (see the Help...no menu thread). But it seems that most people get it solved with updated drivers. But I can't update mine and my card meets the CIV IV requirements! Any more suggestions?

Do not use Dell for a driver update. They are behind the curve there. I know I have seen in many posts here where to look for drivers. Try a search!

damason
Oct 30, 2005, 09:50 AM
Sorry not to be more clear. I have attempted to install the latest drivers via the links on this thread but none of them will install. I get error messages that INF Video Driver not found (as do a lot of the people on this thread).

The only driver that installs is the "old" one from Dell which doesn't let the game play. But the new ones don't support the 9000 (again, see earlier messages in this thread). Any more suggestions on what to do as this Card meets the requirements on the box.

kmuto
Oct 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
ati radeon x600, latest drivers
P4 3.2 ghz
winXP

1. I used to get the render error until I unpacked the art file like the 2kgames site suggests. I still have some other problems though:

2. The main menu with the globe has several artifacts flickering.

3. During play, the screen would occassinally go black or turn into a whole mess of colors for a few seconds. The problem became more frequent the more I played.

4. Now the game just plain crashes after a few seconds of playing. The screen will either freeze or go black, and I always have to reboot my computer.

It looks like the game really doesn't like the ati radeon x series of cards.

Tubby Rower
Oct 31, 2005, 12:14 PM
For all of those people that got the INF not found error... here's what to do ( I got the same thing)

If you don't have XP then don't use this diver. I think that this might be only for XP. Don't use the setup file that comes in the zipped folder. got to the contol panel Go to System select Display drivers right click on your dsplay driver and select Update driver select install from specific location navagate to the path C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-10-mobile_xp_dd_ccc_enu_26777\Driver\XP_INF. (where the download was unzipped) proceed through the update process. reboot your computer hopefully everything is fine and you can now run civ4.

I'm off to do the last step. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Driek Desmet
Oct 31, 2005, 01:58 PM
Does not work.
It's says, "Did not found better software ..."

damason
Oct 31, 2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but mine also said "did not find better software than what I currently have" etc. etc.

Anybody else come up with a solution yet for no menu, just the floating globe other than updating drivers when your drivers won't update? :-P

Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 here....

zonk
Oct 31, 2005, 08:20 PM
OK - took the plunge and got a new card.

I got an opened box ATI 9000 Pro -- but problem is, no CD-Rom. Figured this wouldn't be an issue, but after visiting the ADI site -- looks like this is the case. From what I can tell here -- https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293 -- I'm out of luck without the original CD-Rom.... though to be honest, ATI isn't being all that clear about what I need.

Checked around omegadrivers, download.com, and several other sites...

I know this is an ATI issue, not a civ issue -- but any have any advice to offer?

Right now - my pc thinks I just installed a GeForce4 mx420, and Civ thinks my card doesn't meet reqs.... with 128 meg, T&L, and pixel shading, I think the HARDWARE would.... but that probably don't mean diddly without the right driver.

damason
Oct 31, 2005, 09:16 PM
For all of you out there with the INF error trying to update your cards -- I'm on a Mobility Radeon 9000 and, as you've probably heard, no opening videos or main menu, just music and the earth globe and logo.

I have a request in to ATI to answer my question about updating and the INF error. I will post as soon as I hear anything! Crossing my fingers it's good news.

simplybag
Nov 01, 2005, 09:07 AM
Radeon 7500 in my comp, same problems as everyone else here...black tiles, can only see bonus tiles :( Sorry, really disappointed so far!

EagleEye
Nov 01, 2005, 03:10 PM
Damason I have the exact same problem and I have the Radeon 9600 card.

I too can't see the opening 2K movie. Once I click or hit escape I can see the world and the words Civilization IV, but I can;t see any of the menus. It is quite annoying to go out and buy this game only to have it not work. Catalyst isn;t working for me either.

edit: NM I finally got it to work!

http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm

Reinstalling the game, the drivers, and the directX did nothing for me. But down near the end it shows how to move the Art pack files. Once I did this I was able to see the opening movies and all the display functions. I hope this helps others.

BoneMalone
Nov 01, 2005, 03:34 PM
...and got the "Render" error. Tried all the trick but to no prevail.
So this is maybe a directx prob.

Running Dell Inspiron 6000
ATI Radeon Mobility x300
XP Pro SP1
And this f*** DirectX9.0c

damason
Nov 01, 2005, 08:02 PM
GREAT NEWS! First off, ATI did not respond with any useful information, BUT if you can't see the opening videos and there is no game menu, then simply do the unpack the Art Files as EagleEye says above -- nothing else works but this sure does!! (Oh, per other threads, if you can update your ATI drivers, then that has solved this problem, but if you can't then do the Art Unpack process!!!).

I can't wait to play!

EatenByAGrue
Nov 01, 2005, 08:17 PM
I'm with simplybag. ATI 7500 (Mobility Radeon 7500C, in my case), and all I see are black tiles when I try to play. Plus, the title video jumps every couple seconds (although I'd rather the black tiles during gameplay were fixed before the jumping video). Big disappointment and waste of my time, having to update drivers and find "fix-it" info on Google, none of which worked out. I usually get paid to QA software, not the other way around.

DKDiveDude
Nov 01, 2005, 08:20 PM
Have ATI Radeon 9800 latest drivers, XP sp2, Net 1.1, and still it goes black screen right as the game map are about to draw, right after the last option screen!

How can this be? Did Firaxis/2KGames not test this game with ATI Radeon cards?

Had I not played this game since the first Civ and loved it, I would be tempted to send it directly to Firaxis and tell them to shough it up their kazoo!

This is an outrage! How can they ship something that does not work on ATI Radeons card without a complicated patch right off the bat!

Freaking Morons! I am deeply dissapointed and discouraged. Maybe, just maybe I'll run the "PAK" patch procedure tommorow, or maybe I'll send it back!

Morons!

Stykera
Nov 02, 2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not getting this. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb card, and I only installed the drivers from the CD. No multimedia center, no extra anything. Don't need it, don't want it.

When I go to the support site I can download drivers only for the multimedia center and the Catalyst thing, whatever that is. I don't have either. Where are the plain vanilla drivers?

Kristian95
Nov 02, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have the same black map and leaderhead problems.... I have an ATI mobility radeon 7500 card with 32 mb ram.
I left feedback at Firaxis' homepage and within an hour I have been contacted by Dshirk from Firaxis, requesting the log file from my dxdiag. I have sent that, hopefully that can help them make a patch / solve these problems for us

Thrasher0723
Nov 02, 2005, 08:14 PM
I can not explain the absolute fury I am feeling right now. I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, latest drivers, XP sp2, Net 1.1, Catalyst Installed, all the steps that they recommend on the civ 4 official site and still having major problems. I'm playing the game and something will happen 6 minutes into it that causes it to freeze up and shut off to a black screen...Not even to a windows desktop, forcing me to hit the shut down button on the tower just to get back! What the $^@#$! is wrong with this picture?!!? 3ghz Pentium 4 chip, loads of memory and space... an awesome card....and I have a breakdown in a game like I'm running Dos-5 and trying to play Civ 2! WHY DID I SPEND $60 ON AMAZON FOR 2-DAY SHIPPING AND PRE-SELL EDITION IF IT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT?! I'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS SERIES SINCE SID FIRST THOUGHT IT UP IN THE SHOWER! :mad: :mad: The only game I still play is CIV and after waiting all this time for the 4th installment...it doesn't work?! COME ON!! I'm reposting this everywhere because I'm furious... WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :nuke: :nuke:

Kushana
Nov 03, 2005, 09:34 AM
I have identical issues to Thrasher0723. Radeon 9800Pro/128, latest ATI drivers, all XP patches including SP2, Catalyst. Sempron 3100+ on an Asus K8N MB, 1024MB RAM.

I was originally playing using older (2 months old, maybe?) ATI drivers, and I couldn't see the other leaders like Ghandi; there was just a blank box. The latest drivers fixed that and made my crashes less frequent, but I still can't play more than 30 minutes before 1) I lose my ability to click on anything, and 2) 5 seconds later my screen goes black and I have to reboot.

RuggeR29
Nov 03, 2005, 02:11 PM
Well, after calling tech support at 2k games, I've come to at least one conclusion. While we sit and whine here, they don't seem to have a clue that there is a problem. Have any of you actually picked up a phone and called their support line??

The guy I just talked to said he had heard of the driver init problem and the unpacking solution, but seemed baffled by my black world issue. I can't do anything further till I get home cuz he wants my dxdiag logs, and while I can connect to home using remote desktop, the emulated video won't return any DX results to give him.

So my suggestion to everyone is to pick up your phone and call tech support! A live voice sometime does more good than an email, or a post on a message board. Even if one of the tech support people can't figure out our problem, they'll be aware that it is a HUGE issue and their loyal Civ community wants a fix FAST!

Phone: 1-866-219-9839

Lucky The Fox
Nov 03, 2005, 03:15 PM
Have any of you actually picked up a phone and called their support line??

And done it in a polite manner?

Harkonnen
Nov 03, 2005, 04:19 PM
I am running civ4 at 9800 pro, but an old driver. No problems, EXCEPT it globbles 524Mb of ram at huge map. The game is so sluggerish (512mb in my system), HDD is always online. I am afraid to download any new drivers just because all picturs are in place, and this is not the case with you guys...

You all probably have problems with limited swap file or something like that. I have fixed swap file size of 1.5Gb on my system, so it swaps constantly, but does not stop responding, neither goes blank screen.

BTW, I seriously suspect that we have debug build of civ4. Either this is a mistake, a stolen build or just they couldn't avoid some access violation at Release build (newbies in engine programming face this many times).

Also, screenshots at this site DRASTICALLY differ from what I see in the game. First of all, I have purple background for the interface instead of silver buttons. Secondly, I saw no big-city views like some early screenshots. And finally, there is no number of turns shown until production in the city is completed. There is such number with my system, but I could find no such screenshot here.

What is going on? How many civs are there? Which one is final? Is there is a final civ version?

I am as furious as frustrated...

Harkonnen
Nov 03, 2005, 04:24 PM
Aha.... 2kgames has yet another pack of screenshots, unlike anything else. Neither this site screenshots, nor those which I have with their 2Kgames release. Maybe this was a missed deadline issue with Firaxis, so they shipped last night build to retailers? ;) 11Mb executable gives me very suspicious feelings...

vodkamattvt
Nov 03, 2005, 05:56 PM
Forget the latest ATI drivers. They just dont fix anything. Roll back fixed my frequent Crashes CTD, and reboots.

See this thread for what I did : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137255

Thrasher0723
Nov 04, 2005, 10:14 PM
People... I have a top of the line computer with more RAM/SPEED/ROM etc etc etc... than most people do...and a Radeon 9800 Pro... This Damn game would lock up 3-5 minutes into it and kick me to a black screen and I'd have to reboot the whole computer. I tried Catalyst...that didn't work... I tried the old drivers 4.18...that didn't work...I tried moving that damn ART05 file or whatever and that didn't work... I tried re-installing, lower graphics...name it... BUT... I didn't try this fix...

Go to desktop and click properties
Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob: I complained all over the place about how my Radeon 9800 Pro didn't work with the game...Tried EVERYTHING... all the fixes except for this one. And this one actually worked.... I played the Revolutionary War for the last hour with no crashes... Of course...I got my a$$ handed to me, but...I had fun and the game didn't crash... SPREAD THE WORD!! Now I'm not flipping out like I was before----> :mad:

Thanks to whoever found this... I forgot where the post was... Dammit! :confused:

MyKeill
Nov 05, 2005, 06:41 AM
At first I could not get my Civilization 4 game to run,I had the same error screen everyone else got,who has a ATI card(mine is X800XT)I went to the Civ 4 web site,and clicked on the ATI problem link,I followed the instructions exactly as stated,and now the game works like a charm.I also beforehand went to windows update and installed Microsoft net frame work,and its update,beforehand.I never had to do the unpack thing.Now this game is really done well,its unbelievable.Firaxis should be comended for making this game this good.I hope they help all of yous to get this going on your machine.MyKeill

nagelfetisch
Nov 05, 2005, 09:29 AM
People... I have a top of the line computer with more RAM/SPEED/ROM etc etc etc... than most people do...and a Radeon 9800 Pro... This Damn game would lock up 3-5 minutes into it and kick me to a black screen and I'd have to reboot the whole computer. I tried Catalyst...that didn't work... I tried the old drivers 4.18...that didn't work...I tried moving that damn ART05 file or whatever and that didn't work... I tried re-installing, lower graphics...name it... BUT... I didn't try this fix...

Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Turn that damn thing off!! Under AGP speed... Take it down to off... Now that thing works great... MY GAME WORKS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS!!! :goodjob: I complained all over the place about how my Radeon 9800 Pro didn't work with the game...Tried EVERYTHING... all the fixes except for this one. And this one actually worked.... I played the Revolutionary War for the last hour with no crashes... Of course...I got my a$$ handed to me, but...I had fun and the game didn't crash... SPREAD THE WORD!! Now I'm not flipping out like I was before----> :mad:

Thanks to whoever found this... I forgot where the post was... Dammit! :confused:

This WORKED!****ING AWESOME!Thanks so much to whoever found this out.
And btw,i didn't un-and reinstall anything,just did that unpacking stuff.
I have the 5.10 catalyst drivers and a 9600XT.

Stemil
Nov 05, 2005, 10:29 AM
I've only been having trouble with game speed. Late game was unbelievably laggy. Now I tried Rolling back to Omega 4.12. It really improved performance! I recommend this to anyone who wants a few extra FPS..

makoto916
Nov 05, 2005, 02:47 PM
If you are considering rolling back to 4.12 make sure your video card is supported in that build. In my case, I have an ATI Radeon 345 IGP as part of my VAIO laptop. The 4.12 driver, either from Omega or ATI directly, doesn't seem to work. Which is a bummer. With any luck a patch will be out soon.

eddie_verdde
Nov 05, 2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry, could someone tell me the difference between the

- ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
and the

- ATI Mobility Radeon x600

Which of the two would be more suitable to play CIV4 in my laptop?

Harkonnen
Nov 05, 2005, 04:10 PM
By doing so you made all your games to stick to video memory only. AGP allows to use system memory for textures with almost as high transfer speeds. Civ4 memory problem is about game data, not about textures, so by robbing AGP memory, you gave it more space - that's good for civ4. Other games with actually many textures (any year-2005-3D game which civ4 is not) will suffer dramatically from such settings.

agoodfella
Nov 06, 2005, 02:42 PM
Can anyone tell me which options I should be selecting / de-selecting:

Direct 3D:
- Wait for vertical sync (Y/N)
- Enable anti-aliasing (Y/N)
- Use palette based textures (Y/N)
- Table Fog Support (Y/N)

OpenGL
- Optimization Preference (Quality OR Performance)
- Convert 32 bit textures to 16 bit (Y/N)
- Enable page flipping (Y/N)
- Disable dithering when alpha blending (Y/N)
- Enable KTX buffer region extension (Y/N)
- Force 16-bit XBuffer (Y/N)
- Wait for vertical sync (Y/N)
- Level of Detail (Fuzzy <-----------> Sharp)

THANKS (this is for the ATI Rage Mobility 128)

wayno23
Nov 07, 2005, 02:41 AM
ok i` got mine working perfectly - followed the instructions on the civ4 support website - ATI problem

Harkonnen
Nov 07, 2005, 02:47 AM
Direct 3D:
- Wait for vertical sync (N)
- Enable anti-aliasing (N)
- Use palette based textures (N)
- Table Fog Support (Y)

OpenGL
- Optimization Preference (Performance)
- Convert 32 bit textures to 16 bit (N)
- Enable page flipping (Y)
- Disable dithering when alpha blending (Y)
- Enable KTX buffer region extension (Y)
- Force 16-bit XBuffer (N)
- Wait for vertical sync (N)
- Level of Detail (Middle)

These are tuned towards performance when effect is visible. Though, I doubt you'll see anything. This games renders trash without pixel shaders as I read somewhere else on this forum.

agoodfella
Nov 07, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks Harkonnen.

btw, what model graphics card do you have?

agoodfella
Nov 07, 2005, 12:22 PM
Also, do you have Adapter refresh rate:

Optimal or Adapter default?

Harkonnen
Nov 07, 2005, 02:32 PM
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb. Though, it's the best piece of my hardware: P3 1.3Ghz (512Kb cache), 512Mb RAM. I am not still upgrading since it will require to buy everything and I usually get top-end when I do upgrade, so it will cost $600-800, I'm not ready right now, though I want it :)

I have fixed refresh rate of 85Hz for 1024x768 (my CRT monitor doesn't allow more with this resolution). Games sometimes fall back to 60Hz, but their dynamic picture does not hit my eyes as static windows picture would do.

With VSync off monitor refresh rate will not affect framerate in any matter. With VSync on it will be either your refresh rate (e.g. 100Hz, or half of it, e.g. 50Hz). Triple buffering allows to slide smoother with VSync on (e.g. 100-75-50Hz or close to that). Without VSync you may have any framerate value between 1 and infinity, with 1 frame per second increments.

The use for VSync is to solve bended edges, e.g. when you quickly turn 180 degree in first-person shooter, frames are too distant, so half of the screen sometimes appear with the old picture with another half with the new, and this "teared walls" effect long as long as you proceed with your quick-turn.

Also flashing lights in some games tend to lit only half of the image without VSync since another half is rendered within next time step when light is off in game scene.

Harkonnen
Nov 07, 2005, 02:35 PM
All I mean is that with this:
Wait for vertical sync (N)
you shouldn't care about adapter default / optimal. The worst thing may happen is that you see nothing due to your monitor is incapable of default adapter refresh rate. That's too rare nowadays, especially with LCDs.

Thormodr
Nov 08, 2005, 10:32 AM
And finally, there is no number of turns shown until production in the city is completed. There is such number with my system, but I could find no such screenshot here.

Not sure how to quote here on this forum. Anyway, there is a setting that you can change to show turns of production and turns until growth for cities under options.

Civ 4 customer support. Take 2 and don't call me in the morning. :sad:

Harkonnen
Nov 08, 2005, 10:39 AM
Thormodr
Yeah, I already found that... Just the first thing I usually do prior to 'new game' is options :) With civ4 it also was civilopedia.

Still I don't know origin of that silver interface on most screenshots here. Neither I see any way to toggle low-angle camera (except editing .py script responsible for camera motion).

Pistolero
Nov 08, 2005, 11:40 AM
I have the ATI Radeon 9000 but with 32 MB memory. Am I right in thinking that I cannot run the game on this laptop (DELL Inspiron 8500), which meets the CPU, O/S and main memory specs?

The screen freezes on startup either when I select a leader other than random, or when the first may screen should come up. (I can see the intro movie) and have selected low resolution graphics.

Archibald
Nov 10, 2005, 12:40 PM
I am having similar problems to Pistolero.

The screen freezing on startup when I select a leader other than random. If I select random it runs all the way through the load, eventually ending up in a frozen black screen with a single circular icon (of a settler?) but nothing else. I get all the intro graphics fine and can navigate around the options pages.

The other odd thing is that when I open up the Civilopedia, all I can see in the unit picture window for any particular window is the background, though occasionally I get a small part of the unit itself - for the tank only the tracks visible.

I am running the game on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV616G with a 2.60GHz processor upgraded to 1GB of memory and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with64MB memory - surely that is enough?

Have tried installing the latest Catalyst driver (5.10) - no joy, running up against the INF problem or if I try to select the driver manually, it tells me I already have a better one installed.

Have also tried the Art UnPak fix, again, it does not seem to make any difference.

Would be grateful if anyone has any thoughts

Archie

rlawton
Nov 11, 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm having the same problems as Pistolero and Archibald. I've got a Dell Inpsiron 8200 notebook with a 64mb ATI Radeon 9000 running on Win2000.

All appears to work well until I try to start a game, get past selecting Continent, Leaders etc and I see 4000BC in the top corner and the machine freezes. Tried all the fixes and nothing appears to work.

Has anyone got this game working with Win2000 and a ATI Radeon 9000??? If so, what did you do?

Latest catalyst drivers won't work as they don't recognise my graphics card...

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Ray.

rlawton
Nov 11, 2005, 11:47 AM
ATTENTION ATI 9000 USERS

I've just downloaded the Catalyst Omega 3.10 drivers for my notebook at it's now working perfectly. My card is actually running faster than before so a double bonus :)

Go to this link below, the driver is in the middle of the first table. I tried a couple 4.x drivers and they didn't work but might work for you...

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/omegadrive.htm

Pistolero and Archibald - I hope this solves your problems as it has certainly solved mine!!!

Right then, I'm off to bash some heads!!!

Jeff3F
Nov 11, 2005, 06:06 PM
Catalyst 5.11 drivers are out (official ones, not the leaked beta ones).

Archibald
Nov 12, 2005, 08:22 AM
Many thanks to Rlawton

The catalyst 3.10 driver fix has worked for me (I am using XP) and the game is running like a dream.

Archie

smjjames
Nov 12, 2005, 05:55 PM
I have ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 but I have no clue what driver update I should get, I tried getting the hydraeon or something and that didnt work. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. plus I want to make sure I get the driver to normal because I already deleted the previous update and it has a diff one on that doesnt work with Civ4 right now. can I have some help please?

Fatalyst
Nov 13, 2005, 12:36 AM
Installed Catalyst 5.11 finally get me played more than 3 hours (no crashes to desktop anymore), until they beat me... :( ;)

Enoch Root
Nov 14, 2005, 04:32 PM
I have an ATI Radeon IGP 340 M. Although according to Catalyst installer, I have no graphic card in my computer, so the drivers just won't install.:mad: So I guess I downloaded the wrong driver. Does anybody know which one is the right for my card?

Kamilian
Nov 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
what do you do if you get the INF error while trying to install the driver?

KHSOLO
Nov 15, 2005, 08:29 AM
Also get the same error after the patje ""INF error. Video driver not found."
It's an Mobile Radeon 7500 inside an R51 IBM

Same system i have....:(

Harkonnen
Nov 15, 2005, 07:14 PM
My recent post belonged to here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137706&page=8

Cheesemonkey
Nov 18, 2005, 05:04 PM
I've had a little luck with updating my drivers.

I have a Dell notebook running a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I could get it to load before but the leaders heads were missing and the terrain was all black like many of you have experienced.

I had a look, turns out ATI doesnt update drivers for notebooks, only desktops. So i went to this site below

www.omegadrivers.net

and installed their ATI driver. Now i can see the leaders heads and terrain, though the terrain is still wrong (not black though). I'm gonna try adjusting the settings to get it right.

Maybe this will help you too. If you resolve all the issues please let us know.

WOD666
Nov 20, 2005, 01:47 AM

Settings
Advanced
SMARTGART

Hi to all...my first post here in this forum...All thanxs of the world from my side to whoever found this. This WORKED for me, too. Now the game works like a charm without a CTD, automatic reboot or freezes. Nearly 10 hours without problems...Can´t stop gaming.:king:

Big thx again

Greetz from Germany

Athlon XP 3000+
Gigabyte GA-7VASFS
1 GB Ram DDR333
1,5 GB Virtual Memory
Radeon 9200 SE

maitreshadok
Nov 20, 2005, 04:00 AM
hi,

works fine for me too, i was having problem with texturing (all map was dark, i could only see trees and rivers)

Radeon 7500 AIW

wilwil
Nov 20, 2005, 06:12 PM
I've had a little luck with updating my drivers.

I have a Dell notebook running a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I could get it to load before but the leaders heads were missing and the terrain was all black like many of you have experienced.

I had a look, turns out ATI doesnt update drivers for notebooks, only desktops. So i went to this site below

www.omegadrivers.net

and installed their ATI driver. Now i can see the leaders heads and terrain, though the terrain is still wrong (not black though). I'm gonna try adjusting the settings to get it right.

Maybe this will help you too. If you resolve all the issues please let us know.

my ibm notebook is also running ATI radeon mobility 7500 and i installed the omegadrivers but still can't see the face of leaders
and the fog of war still exists
hope the new patch will fix that

rickmc
Nov 21, 2005, 11:37 AM
I have the same black tile and leaders with floating eyes and lips problems.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows 2000, 1.7 ghz Pentium, 512mb ram, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32mb video card.

I read this and other forums and I have tried the following steps:
1) I followed the instructions from 2kgames as shown on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm.
*I tried this both with ATI driver (well what I could find as ATI website says that they dont provide drivers for win2000 for my video card) and I tried the Omega driver (found in this or a similar thread)

RESULT: Nothing changed.

2) I tried the PakBuild changes as also described on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm. I did use the widows 2000 version.

RESULT: Nothing changed. However, I am confused that nothing was really "created" when I ran the unpack. I was expecting it to extract files like winzip.

Has anyone had different results doing the same thing that I have done OR has anyone with similar configuration found something different to do to get this to work??

Harkonnen
Nov 21, 2005, 01:39 PM
rickmc
PakBuild creates 'art' folder in the folder you specify after selecting Art0.FPK file. This should be 'assets' folder of the game. If you specified different folder, you should move contents of that 'art' folder manually.

Initially Assests/Art folder contains only 'Movies' sub-folder. After extraction it contains much more sub-folders (terrain, units, etc... etc...).

Don't forget to rename/delete Art0.FPK after this step.

This action saves ~300Mb address space (not memory), so it helps only in very boundary cases when your system in on the tight threshold of running the game or failing to do so.

Cheesemonkey
Nov 21, 2005, 09:08 PM
my ibm notebook is also running ATI radeon mobility 7500 and i installed the omegadrivers but still can't see the face of leaders
and the fog of war still exists
hope the new patch will fix that

Ah i forgot to say that you also need to disable SMARTGART (through display properties), turn your AGP off then restart. That should give you the leaders faces and probably the washed out terrain too. An improvement but still not what we want to be playing.

rickmc
Nov 22, 2005, 10:11 AM
I have a ThinkPad T42, 1.7GHz Pentium M, 512MB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (Omega 2.6.75a).

ALSO, under display adapters is listed the following driver: Microsoft SMS Mirror Driver. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? Is there a primary and a slave driver?

The reason that I ask that is when I run the civ iv system compatibility test on www.srtest.com, it gives me the following under the Video Card section:

Video Card
Minimum: 64 MB 3D Video Card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (NVIDIA GeForce2+ /ATI Radeon 7500+)
You Have: Microsoft SMS Mirror Driver ()
Could not determine the video card requirement for your computer. Please review the Video Card details below or use another method for your evaluation.
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 32 MB , You have - 0.0 B
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.6575
FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.

warmwaffles
Nov 22, 2005, 09:27 PM
Please look here....I think my problem is my driver...not sure but if any of you could help me troubleshoot it....that would be great

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=142781

SkyVon
Nov 27, 2005, 10:23 AM
There is a better ATI fix thread than this one http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137255

No offense to this thread but the other one should be sticky and not this one as it cures the CivIV woes.

I installed all the latest and greatest ATI drivers, and still had the same problems that many of you are facing. The other thread suggested installing Catalyst ver 4.12 (over a year old)...I know, sounds crazy. I installed it yesterday and the game is FINALLY working. I am now able to continue saved games that I couldn't using the latest ATI drivers. 4.12 has been called the most stable of all the ATI drivers and it proves that point here.

If your still having problems, follow the links on the thread mentioned above to get 4.12.

G'Luck!

warmwaffles
Nov 27, 2005, 06:20 PM
mmm....I found that this thread seems to be more informational than the other...but I dont wanna re install anything because I finally got my Video card operating much better than before.

Yaotl
Nov 27, 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm tired of all this junk. I was about to buy a new graphics driver in best buy. I asked for a graphics driver for a laptop they said no can do. The true problem for me lies in that trying to update the driver I f***** up my graphics driver and it is less pixalated and choppier. My question what graphics card do I get and where to buy it. Or could I at least restore my graphics driver.

My specs:
VAIO (S series) Computer
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
processor 1.70GHz
598MHz, 512MB of RAM

used to have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

warmwaffles
Nov 27, 2005, 09:47 PM
EWWWWWW SONY.........

Well if I were you ditch the sony...but that would be dumping a good system...

the 9200 family is fine...I run a 9250 and I just installed the 0mega driver..and ALL of my framerate problems were solved...

Have you tried the 0mega drivers yet?

sutejo
Nov 28, 2005, 06:41 PM
If you are considering rolling back to 4.12 make sure your video card is supported in that build. In my case, I have an ATI Radeon 345 IGP as part of my VAIO laptop. The 4.12 driver, either from Omega or ATI directly, doesn't seem to work. Which is a bummer. With any luck a patch will be out soon.

You can try this one and it was work for me.
THANK'S to Dudeitsciv for the omega driver info.

Radeon Omega Driver 2.6.42 driver..
(no chestchire cat / black map)

You can find it from:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=F...e &dwn_id=141

NOW I CAN PLAY WITHOUT THAT F*** BLACK TERRAIN.
But it still having the movie problem and also I still cannot see the resources.

THANK'S TO DUDEITSCIV:goodjob:

Lovebug
Nov 30, 2005, 07:00 AM
I have the same problem as most of u have, the game crashes if the map is to big or in a wonder movie.

My specs are:
Dell Inspiron 8600,
Intel Pentium M, 1,50 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo, 128MB

I've tried to install catalyst drivers 4.12 and 5.11, but nothing seems to work.
I have also tried to see if Dell has new drivers for RADEON 9600 at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=dk&cs=dkdhs1&dn=1086435&l=da&langid=1&s=dhs#mastheadtop but just drivers for RADEON 9000.

The driverversion I am using now is 6.14.10.6392
Anyone had the same problem?? Can anyone help??? :(
plzz :(

warmwaffles
Nov 30, 2005, 07:39 PM
I have the same problem as most of u have, the game crashes if the map is to big or in a wonder movie.

My specs are:
Dell Inspiron 8600,
Intel Pentium M, 1,50 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo, 128MB

I've tried to install catalyst drivers 4.12 and 5.11, but nothing seems to work.
I have also tried to see if Dell has new drivers for RADEON 9600 at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=dk&cs=dkdhs1&dn=1086435&l=da&langid=1&s=dhs#mastheadtop but just drivers for RADEON 9000.

The driverversion I am using now is 6.14.10.6392
Anyone had the same problem?? Can anyone help??? :(
plzz :(

Hey try this site out

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/omegadrive.htm

It fixed most my problems...and plus you uninstall your catylist and it sets you up with a better version of it...What it does is it allows you to overclock your card and actually get the performance you want...

Just read the site if you want more info...I use it on my Desktop with a 9250 Pro PCI card (I know EWWW its PCI but I have no AGP port)

Amiee
Nov 30, 2005, 08:19 PM
I have done everything on this site .. downloaded and unilstalled and reinstalled ATI drivers AND CIV IV so many times I'm dizzy...and yes, I've installed the new patch too.

Here's my INIT Log file:

[100.156] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[103.265] DBG: Using XML cache
[103.281] DBG: Game Init
[103.296] DBG: Multiplayer Init BEGIN
[103.453] DBG: Multiplayer Init END
[103.468] DBG: Audio Init
[104.359] DBG: ArtFileMgr Init
[104.375] DBG: Python Init
[109.281] VERSION: CIV Version: 0
[109.281] VERSION: Save Version: 101
[109.281] DBG: Input Init
[109.296] DBG: Engine Init
[109.562] DBG: Checking available screen resolution
[109.890] DBG: Validating screen resolution
[109.890] DBG: Creating rendererer
[114.125] DBG: Engine: renderer Initialized
[114.421] DBG: Engine: Shaders Initialized
[114.453] DBG: Engine: Scene Lights Initialized
[114.890] DBG: Music Start
[114.890] DBG: Font Init
[115.000] DBG: Total Frame MS: 15840.0 FPS: 000 Min:000 Max:000 Avg:000 SampleFilter:10.000000
Time : Ave : Min% : Max% : Num : Profile Name
-----------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
[115.015] DBG: Begin MenuManager
[183.203] DBG: Engine: Camera Initialized
[204.593] DBG: SyncRandSeed is 104669081, MapRandSeed is 104669081

Anyone? :cry:

Yaotl
Dec 03, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thank You Guys!!!!!
You Guys Are Awesome I Just Downloaded The Omega Drivers And They Work Like A Charm I Had Messed Up My Dirver And Now My Graphics Are In Tip Top Shape.

You Cuys Rock!!!!!

ctindell
Dec 03, 2005, 03:48 PM
The fix for me was installing the older 4.12 ati drivers. Now the game runs like a charm. Before the graphics were, how shall we say, "less than adequate".

The other thread should be stickied - not this one.

warmwaffles
Dec 03, 2005, 06:50 PM
Ctindell....dude...this is just for driver help and so is the other thread...in fact the other thread is NEWER than this one...

If the mods feel like they should unsticky it then thats there call NOT yours...

BTW Welcome to CFC ;)

Sir espectral
Dec 04, 2005, 01:54 PM
I got a problem with ATI too (i think it is ATI)
I got ATI 9600 256MB, winXP pro, 3200Mhz, 2x512MBRAM... updated, with omega drivers, .net framework... everything i found.
But it says to me when loading:
Failed to initialize renderer. Please check video config and DirectX version.
I dont understand why it doesnt run. In my other PC (with nVIDIA 128MB, winXP home, lesser numbers...) it works. Both have DirectX and video cards updated.

Someone who know how to solve this problem??

Sir espectral
Dec 05, 2005, 01:32 PM
Solved. I had to update Civ4 to 1.09 :crazyeye:

sgarg
Dec 05, 2005, 09:32 PM
another site is http://www.dna-drivers.com/ I haven't used them but heard good reviews. I use Omega drivers.

SG

thunder
Dec 06, 2005, 07:31 AM
Help. I loaded up the latest ati driver for my winxp and having nothing but poor performance. I updated my driver because of the problem: "crashing when loading larger saves" otherwise it was running fine, maybe a blink when i ended the turn and the mouse was a little slow panning across the map but that was it. Where before the movies were running good enough (meaning it ran continues), now they are choppie, my game resolution was fine, now it has to be the lowest (choppie as hell when I pan over the map). My specs:
1.3 athlon-proc.
radeon 9600 128MB-card
750+ ram
Yes i have downloaded the civ patch.
Is the Omega the answer, I will find out later. Please, i am no pc guru. I don't want this to go too far over my head. Is there a way i can set my computer back a day or two and if i can will it still have my old drivers? and what else can I download that would assist in the graphics performance. Thanks ahead.

RakuPL
Dec 06, 2005, 09:16 AM
I had problem with Civ4. I have installed it, patched to 1.09 and at the first run I could play it for about 10 minutes. Then it started to freezing with looping sound and I could only move the cursor but nothing happened (size of map didn't matter). Then I killed it through the task manager and went to this forum to check what to do :) but the idea to go back from my 5.10 to 4.12 was not what I expected to be a good solution. I have installed latest drivers for sound card (nvidia nforce3, v4.62), but it didn't help :( I was almost in agony ;) because I was very eager to play this game. And then came this idea to turn off vpu recovery! :woohoo: And it was it! Game runs perfectly! Oh! By the way I did it on my Gigabyte NForce3 motherboard with Sempron3000+, 512mb of RAM and Gigabyte Radeon9550 on latest Omega drivers (based on Catalyst 5.11, but with standard Catalyst 5.10 worked too) :) Try it and maybe it will work for you too!

thunder
Dec 06, 2005, 11:20 AM
how do u turn off your vpu recovery?

RakuPL
Dec 06, 2005, 02:18 PM
Right-click your desktop and select properties. Go to settings and click advanced. Select VPU Recover tab and there you can turn it off, but...

...it helped only for some time. After running computer some time, even without playing Civ4 and running it after that time saved game loads but I cannot do anything, sound loops and effects are as I described them in my previous post.

Again I was happy TOO EARLY :(

RakuPL
Dec 07, 2005, 12:55 PM
I've reverted to Omega 4.12 and NOW IS everything okay :) Finally...

phalzyr
Dec 08, 2005, 11:34 AM
5.12 was released today :)

Harkonnen
Dec 08, 2005, 04:29 PM
Heh, and still no word about civilization4... Have they spent entire budget on pre-release reviews?

BTW, this is the problems-related thread which does not yet contain a link to my memory-fix... I think I missed it. Here it is:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=146309

adrianv
Dec 12, 2005, 08:21 AM
I've read the pages and pages of info about problems with ATI graphics. I'd been experiencing various crashes playing civ4. I had an ATO Radeon 9250 with Catalyst 5.11. Based on that advice I tried Catalyst 4.12. Civ4 still locked up. I tried sdhide. Same.
So I upgraded to Catalyst 5.12. Now when Civ4 crashed (which it still did frequently - but at least it crashed rather than just locking up and forcing a reboot) I got an ATI prompt to send them the crash data. This was an improvement but I just wanted civ4 to work.
Last weekend I bit the bullet and replace the ATI 9250 with a Gigabyte nvidia geforce fx 5500 card. CIV4 plays faster (and for the first time the intro graphics play without pauses) and NO crashes ! I wish I'd done it weeks earlier and saved myself days of stuffing around.
I'm sure ati will get their stuff together eventually (Catalyst 5.12 is better than 5.11 and both better than 4.12) but i no longer care. Civ4 works ! Now I can focus on the game, not the PC. ...Adrianv

EdCase
Dec 12, 2005, 08:37 AM
Hmm I use Omega drivers based on 5.12 cats and it works just fine with a softmodded 98000SE

Stykera
Dec 12, 2005, 01:53 PM
Does ATI have mirrors for its drivers somewhere? I've been trying to download the Catalyst drivers for about a month now, and never get past "Connected; waiting for reply".

chemchops
Dec 12, 2005, 08:48 PM
I get a black screen for the map and I get some freaky looking floating eyes and mouth for diplomacy with other nations. any suggestions would be helpful.

Chemchops

Harkonnen
Dec 13, 2005, 01:49 AM
chemchops
My fix (look post #102 on this page) usually solved black terrain problem, but sometimes it brought leaders bug. Well, at least its current version. Leaders problem is going to be fixed soon with the next version of my fix.

Vinc
Dec 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
How well does the 5.12 drivers work with Civ4 compared to the 5.11s? I've read the 5.12s are much worse performance-wise on other games. Has anyone tried both with Civ4?

auldian
Dec 16, 2005, 11:35 PM
How well does the 5.12 drivers work with Civ4 compared to the 5.11s? I've read the 5.12s are much worse performance-wise on other games. Has anyone tried both with Civ4?They seem to be working as well as can be expected with my machine. I still play Civ4 with minimal "whistles and bells" in 16bit color, etc.

Vinc
Dec 17, 2005, 03:29 PM
They seem to be working as well as can be expected with my machine. I still play Civ4 with minimal "whistles and bells" in 16bit color, etc.

Cool. The demo works ok on my machine with the newest drivers, I'll get the game in a few days and if I'm having problems I'll try the 5.11s...

Sophist-
Dec 18, 2005, 07:46 PM
I tried the 5.12 drivers and the same problems I had resolved prior to reverting to 4.12 came back (unplayable lag on large+ maps as the game progresses). So if you're hoping for any Civ fixes piggybacking in on them you are probably going to be diappointed.

This sticky thread really should be removed as recommendations to move to the latest ATI drivers rarely is a good idea...with any game. They do usually get worse the higher the version you run past 4.12. Hehe, its a nice combination though...ATI which can't write drivers to save their life, and Fraxis who will release a game well before its time.

panthera
Dec 23, 2005, 01:30 AM
try using older and stable drivers and use the folowing fix for the black terrain:
use 'worldbuilder' (hit ESC during game) and reveal all tiles (fog of war).
this takes away the excitement of exploring, but makes the game playable.

Stykera
Dec 24, 2005, 09:38 PM
Is there a mirror for the drivers somewhere? I haven't been able to download anything from the official site in two months' trying.

Bakaroyna
Dec 25, 2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry for being a n00b here, but I'm having a really hard time finding out which drivers I need here.. I have a HP Pavilion zv5000 (laptop), which uses an ATI MobilityRadeon 9000IGP card, but I can't find any info on the ATI-pages. Could anyone be so kind to give me a link or something?

kittcat73
Dec 25, 2005, 06:19 PM
umm, what is a .net framework? how do I know if i need it or got it?

Flak
Dec 26, 2005, 08:17 AM
Sorry for being a n00b here, but I'm having a really hard time finding out which drivers I need here.. I have a HP Pavilion zv5000 (laptop), which uses an ATI MobilityRadeon 9000IGP card, but I can't find any info on the ATI-pages. Could anyone be so kind to give me a link or something?

You can probably just install the 5.11 or 5.12 drivers. You might want to check out the Hewlett Packard website to see if they have drivers for your laptop. If not, and you install the drivers from ATI, then you might get an error. If so, check out this Thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=140474) here. There you will find a crack that will allow the driver to install on your laptop.

umm, what is a .net framework? how do I know if i need it or got it?

It is a special development network used by some companies to develop software that will theoretically be guaranteed to run on any system supported by the .net framework. As a result, perhaps even ironically, some programs developed in this framework require it to be installed in order to run. You don't need this to install your driver (I assume that's why your asking), but it is the only way to run some of the special interface software that the company has developed. All companies offer just a pure driver install that does not require you to install the .net framework.

Thormodr
Dec 26, 2005, 10:24 AM
HP/Compaq isn't very helpful for getting new drivers unfortunately. :( I have tried to download other drivers but I can't get them to work. Unless anyone can give me some advice I am resigned to the fact that I have to wait for HP/Compaq to update their laptop drivers. *Sigh*

jabberwocky
Dec 27, 2005, 09:40 AM
i was using the omega drivers fix before, and it worked like a charm. when the latest patch and ATI driver came out, I figured I would give both of them a go. I was also wanting to run the new ATI catalyst drivers for other games i have installed as the Omega drivers seem to have issues with them.

So I installed the new patch for Civ4, and then put on the new drivers. I'm back at the begining of my slow crappy games now. Even at the start of a game, on a small map with one CPU player, turn 1, it is so slow and crappy I cant play a single round.

So it would seem if i wanted to play Civ4, I'm going to have to sacrifice my other games to run the Omega drivers, and not the new ATI catalyst drivers. Is this about right? Is anyone else seeing something similar?

jabberwocky
Dec 27, 2005, 09:40 AM
i was using the omega drivers fix before, and it worked like a charm. when the latest patch and ATI driver came out, I figured I would give both of them a go. I was also wanting to run the new ATI catalyst drivers for other games i have installed as the Omega drivers seem to have issues with them.

So I installed the new patch for Civ4, and then put on the new drivers. I'm back at the begining of my slow crappy games now. Even at the start of a game, on a small map with one CPU player, turn 1, it is so slow and crappy I cant play a single round.

So it would seem if i wanted to play Civ4, I'm going to have to sacrifice my other games to run the Omega drivers, and not the new ATI catalyst drivers. Is this about right? Is anyone else seeing something similar?

ericpaz
Dec 28, 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi somewhat new to the site but not to Civ been playing since the first Civ. i am having the dreaded error "Failed to initialize renderer-Check Direct X version and Graphics settings" I have done everything that this site and what the Civ 4 support site says to try and still nothing!! Please Please someon help. I have all necessary system requirments and a Radeon 9550 card. Please help as I am going through withdrawls here!!!!!!!!!!

KindOfBlue
Dec 29, 2005, 04:36 AM
Installed the latest ATI 5.13 drivers yesterday but the in game videos didn't improve on my 9600 Radeon grafics. I also played around with the anti-aliasing feature without any result. Now I'll switch off the wonder videos.

Majkel
Dec 30, 2005, 04:37 AM
I tried on my ATI Mobility Radeon (under W2000) Omega 5.13 first, but it got even worse (after ca. 5 min. playing all graphics went splashy and blue), but then I used the former version (4.12) and... IT WORKED! I finally see the terrain and everything goes much faster without crashing (so far)!

Hangdog
Dec 31, 2005, 06:50 AM
I have the same black tile and leaders with floating eyes and lips problems.

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows 2000, 1.7 ghz Pentium, 512mb ram, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32mb video card.

I read this and other forums and I have tried the following steps:
1) I followed the instructions from 2kgames as shown on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm.
*I tried this both with ATI driver (well what I could find as ATI website says that they dont provide drivers for win2000 for my video card) and I tried the Omega driver (found in this or a similar thread)

RESULT: Nothing changed.

2) I tried the PakBuild changes as also described on http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm. I did use the widows 2000 version.

RESULT: Nothing changed. However, I am confused that nothing was really "created" when I ran the unpack. I was expecting it to extract files like winzip.

Has anyone had different results doing the same thing that I have done OR has anyone with similar configuration found something different to do to get this to work??

My apologies if someone has posted this before, but the OmegaDrivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net/) solved all the problems I had running Civ4 on an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. At least with what I've played so far, these drivers work great. Omega claims that their drivers work on most/all ATI cards, so if you're still having trouble even with the Civ4 patch, they might be worth a go.

foxfire4321
Dec 31, 2005, 07:59 AM
My specs:

Compaq X1030US
Pentium M 1.4 GHz (Banais)
768 MB RAM
40 GB 4200 RPM HDD
Mobility 9200 64 MB (installed after purchase)

I have had complete success with the game (patch 1.54) when I used the Omega 5.6 drivers. I have been playing the game at medium detail on a standard map and had no problems (all voice-overs, music, and movies on). The version of the Omega drivers is crucial, the 5.13 version was totally unusable on my machine, and the HP released drivers were no good for the game (commonly cited stalled game with icon off screen). I am impressed with the stability of the 5.6 drivers and hope this helps others.

Thormodr
Dec 31, 2005, 09:25 AM
The drivers are all good unless you have a laptop. I can't seem to update them with these Omega drivers and Compaq seems unwilling to update laptop drivers.
Firaxis is aware of the problem but as of yet has done nothing. *Sigh*

foxfire4321
Dec 31, 2005, 03:46 PM
As I mentioned, the omega driver build is crucial to performance on a laptop. While the build for 5.12 and 5.13 are unusable on a Compaq laptop the build for catalyst 5.6 (build 2642) works fine on my X1000 series laptop and allows for great play of CivIV.

Hammer87
Jan 07, 2006, 07:07 AM
Installed the drivers but still have the same problem with my ATI mobility x600, can play the game fine for several minutes before my laptop randomly shuts itself down.

ElCortez
Jan 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion zt3000 notebook with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 (32MB) graphics card. When I first installed the game, everything worked fine. I started a game and played it all the way through with no problems. However, after that I am no longer able to start a new game. When I do start one, and the loading screen with the movie playing and Spock talking shows the "Play Game" button, clicking the button closes the movie screen and the whole screen goes black. The only things visible are the date, event messages regarding me entering the game, and the portrait of one of my units that is off screen. For about 5-10 seconds I can move my mouse (I can't interact with anything), but after that even my mouse cursor goes away and my system is locked up. Before I click the "Play Game" button in the movie screen, I can still Alt-Tab out of the game, but after I do click it, Alt-Tab does nothing.

I have installed all of the latest HP drivers. I've also tried newer drivers from ATI (using the DH MODTOOL) as well as OmegaDrivers, but both cause everything to get scrambled really badly from the XP login screen and on.

I've been able to play 3 games total after completely uninstalling the game and reinstalling it 3 times (i.e. I can play one game after reinstalling). That makes me wonder if after playing the game once, is some of the information that the game saves causing or contributing to its instability?

Now for the interesting part: When I was able to run the game, I created a saved game. When I load that saved game, it works fine every time. So now I'm wondering what the difference is between starting a new game and loading an existing one.

Has anybody else had this happen to them? BTW - I've emailed TAKE 2 and haven't gotten beyond their initial request for the DirectX system info file.

Thanks,
Curt

Zydor
Jan 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
Curt

Go here read this - you pretty well have the same issues - your graphics card, although not quite as low as that one.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3564298#post3564298

If you post your Dxdiag in the main tech form someone can have a look at it and see if there are other issues or options that can help you - there are other issues, but a new thread keeps this one clear for its main purpose

Regards
Zy

ElCortez
Jan 13, 2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the tips Zydor. I actually got the older version of the Omega driver to work on my laptop (no scrambling of video). I was able to start another game successfully after installing the driver. Just to make sure it would consistently work, I quit and tried starting another one. Everything locked up again. Very strange. As you suggested, I will start another thread to see if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks,
Curt

Girevik
Jan 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
Does not work.
It's says, "Did not found better software ..."

Ok, I need help. I get the "Video Driver not found" when I try to run
the Catalyst install on my laptop, and the above message when I try to update the drive and navigate to the Catalyst driver folder. I have a Raedion IGP 320M adapter - is there any way I can get it to work with Civ IV?

I seem to be getting all the intro movies and everything okay, but the main map is all black. Any assistance would be HUGELY appreciated.

Zydor
Jan 13, 2006, 05:24 PM
You are below hardware spec - its the IGP.

With on board graphics such as yours the game cannot process the graphics required, thats why you have a black map. Its a different process to producing movie pics, and your IGP will not support that aspect

Regards
Zy

Girevik
Jan 13, 2006, 05:33 PM
Crap. Was afraid of that.

Oh well, thanks for the help.

RakuPL
Jan 18, 2006, 02:47 PM
What about new Catalysts 6.1? Are they running fine with Civ4 or do I have to stick to Omega based on 4.12? :confused:

Zydor
Jan 18, 2006, 03:00 PM
Dont know about those, not tried them, but the ATI install routines are good, willnot take long to give em a whirl.

Just remember to say "no" after boot following the change / remove deinstall of old drivers. Windows will detect you have none on that first boot and try to load some, say no - refuse. That way you get a vanilla set of basic 640x480 VGA drivers, looks horrible, but its ok, then go for the load of new ones.

That prevents bits of the windows auto loaded ones getting in the way of the new driver set

Regards
Zy

V. Soma
Jan 20, 2006, 03:57 AM
Hi!

I just want to report that I had problems of rebooting when having AI diplomacy in multiplayer.

Then

I cleared all ATI stuff from my pc and put up Catalyst 5.3 (yes, five-point-three)...
and the game runs with no probelm! :)

ottocrat
Jan 20, 2006, 01:10 PM
I have a Compaq X1000 that meets the specs - 512M ram, 64M ATI mobility 9200, 1.4G Pentium M. I called Take2 and they told me the game wasn't running because my ATI driver was out of date (it was). I went to omegadrivers and downloaded catalyst 6.1.

The good news - Civ4 was able to run (although unplayable, see below)

The bad news - My display was a total disaster with icons redrawn and jaggy lines running through the screen. It was as though I had 6 screens layered on top of each other with multiple pointers. Complete trainwreck.

Just got my computer back from service and they restored the old driver. I can use the computer again but no Civ4. Does anyone know why Catalyst 6.1 caused my display to become a nightmare? Any suggestions as to how I can get an updated ATI driver that won't crash the computer?

Thanks

ottocrat
Jan 20, 2006, 01:13 PM
Forgot to mention this, maybe it's important...

My laptop is widescreen

Does the resolution I set the screen at have any impact on things? (Catalyst 6.1 reset my resolution settings as well)

Thanks

Zydor
Jan 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
ottocrat

The mobility 9200 is not a video card, it uses main system RAM to operate, and is therefore below min spec for the game. You willneed to reduce as much as you can the load on the graphics & system RAM by reducing things like resolution, textures, background services and apps - every small thing you can to conserve what you have for Civ IV

Try the Omega 4.12 driver set (not the beta) its very stable, good rep, and should work well with your older graphics. Before loading it go to the ATI site and download their Driver Cleaner applicatiuon - it will purge your PC of any lurking bits from previous graphics versions / setups. The latter ensures no bits laying around interfearing with whatever you load afterwards. Read the ATI notes for it carefully, and follow instructions on it slowly and step by step - works well

Re widescreen there is an option the Civ ini file to set resolutions, try it, may work for you.
C:\Documents and Settings\New User\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini

the Civ ini file does change its name in some Countries, as long as the ini file you see is in that directory, thats fine go for it. Use Notepad to edit it.

Regards
Zy

ottocrat
Jan 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, Zy. I'll give that a shot.

The Mobility Radeon 9200 is not a video card? Yikes.

RakuPL
Jan 21, 2006, 05:06 AM
I was using the new 6.1 version without any troubles with Civ4 (or at least for now ;)). Of course I use Omega ones :) Using it on Gigabyte Radeon 9550.

Lt mor
Jan 22, 2006, 01:42 AM
What is the "Omega ones" ...

Lemmysix
Jan 22, 2006, 07:54 AM
I had a much troubles with 5.x drivers and i tried that 4.x and it worked. My problems were that game suddenly halted and ended. Or just basic reboot. After i search this forum ppl with same kind of problems, i founded that installing way older would solve problems. That i did, but my display setups for tv went straight to the stoneage. Now i heard that there is a 6.1 drivers available and i tried and vóila! Everything seems to be working like a steamroller... So far no problems what so ever.

Thanks for those who had helped in here with the problems...

Lt mor
Jan 22, 2006, 08:10 AM
I have The radeon 6250 and installed the 6.1 and its still CTD ...

Zydor
Jan 22, 2006, 09:22 AM
Lt Mor

Your hassle is the 9250 card, its boarderline for the game. Need to reduce as much as possible the load on the Video Card. The error you got was likely caused by the increased load V1.52 put on the Video Card - 1.52 had a significant shift from main system RAM to Video RAM to free up system RAM for lower end machines. You have a good cpu, but low end card, if you can get hold of a mid range card you will resolve many hassles with this.

Meanwhile...

By now doubtless you have had many trys at sorting it. I strongly suggest you do a clean deinstall/install - see

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=152620

Make sure you have loaded Patch V1.52, but, also ensure that the memsaver switch in the ini file is set to 0 (figure 0 not a letter O). The reason is that 1.52 placed more load on video cards to help those with low main RAM, if memsaver is switched on (using a 1 in the ini file entry) it switches on that feature which you dont want as your graphics card is your weak spot.

Reduce System & Graphics Load
- Turn off textures in the game Options menu
- Set the game resolution to as low as possible
- set your desktop resolution to the same as you are going to use in the game
- set the res in the ini fileto16 bit or even 256 colours
- set the desktop refresh rate to 60Hz
- Turn off any background application or services running that you dont really need (via MSconfig). That includes going off line to play Civ, and turning off Anti-V & Firewall (obviously not an option if an MP)

Pagefile
Set it to 2000Mb - Civ IV is a memory hungry beast and willpage a lot with your system due to the card

Background Applications & Services
Start Button - Click - select Run - type "msconfig" no quotes - press enter
Click Service tab - tick the box "Hide all Microsoft Services"
tick the box "Hide all Microsoft Services" is very important - you MUST have this ticked to avoid stopping essential operating system services - it MUST be ticked (not empty)
Press disable all
Click the startup tab
Click disable all
Go back to Services Tab - double check the "hide all Microsoft Services" Box is ticked and not empty
Click ok at the bottom of the screen
Reboot
When it settles after boot, run the game.
If it works, bingo - read the intro above again

Video Drivers
Try older Video drivers, they will suit your card better (more uptodate ones have features that your card know nothing about)
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
Click ATI Radeon - Click sub menu Archive - Click sub menu Win 2K
Scroll down that page until you see Radeon Omega Drivers 2.5.97a (Catalyst 4.12) they are not the latest,but they are a very stable reliable set, and probably better for your older setup. If they dont work properly, try Radeon Omega Drivers 2.6.83 (Catalyst 5.11) at the top of the page

ini File Changes
Go to
C:\Documents and Settings\New User\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini
Open it with Notepad
Set the ini lines to the figure shown below (in ini file Figure 0 means "off", figure 1 means "on"). Back up ini file so you can recover to staret point if get confused. As in all memory things - there is a trade off, less use of memory will in many cases slow performance.

; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
MemSaver = 0 (this is v important, V1.52 change vis the use of graphics cards)

; Use managed interface textures (may be safer but shouldn't be needed, uses more memory)
GUIManagedTextures = 0

; Allow Screenshots. May affect performance on some video cards
AllowScreenShots = 0 (Turns off ability to do screen shots)

; Disable PAK memory mapping (May affect performance)
DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 1

; Don't skip frames if falling behind
BinkNoSkip = 0 (0 may cause movie "stutter / skipping")

; Show movies using hi-color, not true-color (may be faster)
Bink16Bit = 1 (also set desktop to 16bit if use this setting)

; Copy ever other scanline during movie playback (faster)
BinkInterlace = 0

; Set to 1 for no in-game movies
NoMovies = 1 (turns off movies)

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1 (less memory use if only stores moves for 1 turn)

; Enable D3D9 Queries
D3D9Query = 1

You are boarderline for graphics, if you have the dosh and the machine will takeit, get a mid range card, that 9250 will cause you long term grief with Civ IV

If still issues please post as a separate thread on the main forum - not here

Regards
Zy

Lt mor
Jan 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
1st TNK for the Info ...
But; I ordered ATI Radeon 9550 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card.
I will get it next week.
I hope it will solved the problem.
I put the Dxdiag of my laptop : the game works on that PC ...

Zydor
Jan 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
It will....

It has the latest Intel Express chips - they have integral Video RAM and process Video stuff via the PCI-e bus - totally different beast.

Older IGPs - no chance, they have no processing power

It is probably slow due to the main RAM at 256 - but the Pentium M will help there as it was designed ground up for multi media. It will have problems in Large maps / Huge maps late games. It works at present due to the 915 pulling it through - long term as you get into more complex games you will meet problems unless it gets up to 512 Mb

Regards
Zy

Lt mor
Jan 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
Zydor - does the ATI Radeon 9700 with 128 MB will be beter ?
I can get him instaed of the Radeon 9550 with 256 MB.

LT. Mor

Zydor
Jan 23, 2006, 07:07 PM
For sure - go for it - dont get hung up on 256Mb on board - can be useful, but in truth not often used to the full ( at the moment :) ).

9700 much better card than the 9550, go for it.

Please forgive what maybe a statement of the obvious ... but .... make sure you look twice and get the right bus type for the card (AGP or PCI-e depending on your beastie). Seen it happen too often, kinda painfull when discovered after buying ....

Regards
Zy

adam_
Jan 25, 2006, 04:42 PM
After reading through this thread, and a half-dozen others around the net, I was pulling my hair out with the Screen-Freeze-Music-Keeps-Playing error. It was definately the ATI drivers, and I tried so many versions. I tried the latest Catalyst drivers, the 4.12 official ATI drivers, the Omega 4.12 drivers....nothing worked!!

I suppose it's worth noting I am running a Radeon Mobility x600 in my Asus W3V notebook.

Anyway, the new Omega 3.8.205 (Catalyst 6.1) drivers have worked on my setup. I've been playing now for an hour, whereas a crash was previously a certainty within 5-20 minutes.

Oddly, the offical ATI Catalyst 6.1 drivers just gave me the same crash problem.

I am also running the amendments to the .ini file suggested above by Zydor.

Also, and I can't be sure right at this moment, but I did make sure to turn off my internal wireless network, and disable my antivirus. However, I had been doing this for some time previously and it made no difference. Hope you all find a solution.

Maestro_Innit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
Anyway, the new Omega 3.8.205 (Catalyst 6.1) drivers have worked on my setup. I've been playing now for an hour, whereas a crash was previously a certainty within 5-20 minutes.

Good news! I have also installed the latest Omega drivers and I've just played a 3 hour session without a crash. This is the first time since I bought the game months ago! I've made no other amendments to the .ini file, all at default except the auto-save feature at 1 turn. Looks like these babies might just work for ATI owners... or at least some of us :)

I'm using an X800XT/PE, 1600x1200, 2xFSAA, max settings. Performance is great and I finally have some semblance of stability.:cool:

adam_
Jan 26, 2006, 06:27 PM
Sadly, I am affixing my wagon to the "Spoke Too Soon Express"!! :( Today, game play was as flaky as ever. Not a thing changed from my previously working setup as far as I can see. This is most frustrating. I'll try re-installing the Omega 6.1 drivers and setting everything (.ini file included) back to default to see if that has any effect.

Maestro_Innit
Jan 27, 2006, 09:47 AM
Well, I guess I'm about to find out. I'll report back when I've had a new game.:cool:

Shadryk
Jan 28, 2006, 01:10 AM
My computer exceeds all the "recommended" requirements & I still crash d/t memory problems. The game is unplayable after I've mapped enough of the world. I've tried various fixes that have been effective. Is 2K Games going to release a patch that should enable us to play their game? I'm not a tech-head & really don't think I should need to learn & implement all this stuff just to play an off-the-shelf game.

CPU = 2.6 Ghz; RAM = 1 Meg; Video card (NVIDA 7200(?)) = 256K

Civ = slow and crashes....wtf?!?

Markus Auraleus
Jan 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
I have your answer Buy any Video card that has nothing to do with NVIDIA

Lt mor
Jan 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
I replaced the ATI Radeon 9250 with the ATI FIREGL 8800 and still the game CTD.
can anyone now wich drivers shold work to get anser from ATI its almost impassible.

RakuPL
Jan 30, 2006, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately with v6.1 Civ4 crashed :( Back to 4.12 Omegas :D

Maestro_Innit
Jan 31, 2006, 07:05 AM
Well, I guess I'm about to find out. I'll report back when I've had a new game.:cool:

Well guys, I can happily report that since I upgraded to the latest Omega drivers for my ATI X800XT/PE ...... I haven't had a single crash! Not a glitch, nothing :D

Hoorah!

Kingpin
Jan 31, 2006, 01:47 PM
I have been having similar problems with my desktop computer as many of you have. I'm running and Intel 3.0 Ghz w/ 1 Gb RAM and an ATI Radeon X600 128 Mb video card. I've had CTD, Crash & Reboot, total lockups, funny colours... you name it. I've tried older drivers, newer drivers and omega drivers to no avail.

Here is the only thing that enables me to play a game without a problem: run Civ4 in a window. I can't explain why it works, I just know it does for me. I changed from full screen to window in the options menu, restarted Civ4, and haven't had a problem since. When I switch back, it crashes. Go figger...

pablo01
Feb 09, 2006, 12:15 AM
So I waited until a patch came out before I bought this game but I am getting lockups after about 2 or 3 minutes. Now I have the Omega drivers and it seems to be a little better but still locking up. I think running it in windowed mode helps even more but damn...other games I have run fine and this puter never crashes except playing civ4 so I don't plan on messing around with too much stuff here but the Omega drivers are much better than that crap from ATI - why would they use that .net framework just to install the control panel - ridiculous I say, ridiculous.

Maestro_Innit
Feb 10, 2006, 06:48 AM
Well guys, I can happily report that since I upgraded to the latest Omega drivers for my ATI X800XT/PE ...... I haven't had a single crash! Not a glitch, nothing :D

Hoorah!

Well, after a whole week of completely crash free computing using the Omega drivers - I had 3 crashes in one night on Wednesday. Complete lock-ups just like the olden days :rolleyes:

It's been a LOT better since I installe Omega but it's still a badly coded game with more issues thatn I have ever known except Stronghold 2 which was just as bad. And guess what - also by 2KGames :mad:

LwwB
Feb 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
I have a ATI Raedon 7000. Its all ok, but when i start a game, i can see everything except the terrain. And when i start a WorldBuilder game (pressing Ctrl+W) i see the terrain. Any help? What should i do?

Greatwiseone
Feb 15, 2006, 09:48 PM
I have the following system:

P4 3.0Ghz (Prescott)
512MB RAM
160GB HD
P4P800-E-Deluxe Motherboard
Celestica ATI Radeon 9600SE

The graphic problem is a bit odd. The game plays fine when I am starting, but once I see the entire map of the world, the game becomes very unstable. When I start conquering and expanding the size of the civ, the game freezes and crashes with graphic problems. It gets more frequent as I have more cities and unit. I tried decreasing the resolution to its lowest, but I'm still getting lots of crashes. Is there any way to remedy this? I have Catalyst 5.10 and Civ IV patch 1.52.

Thanks

morpheous
Feb 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
Having the same problem here as lot of people in this thread - game crashing on start up to black screen, year date in right corner, warrior icon in left corner, music stopping and then no mouse - I have read through the whole of this thread and have become very confused as to what is the best course of action to take in lieu of the rig I currently have.

My issue is that, prior to me getting my laptop back from repair with a new hard drive, the game was working for me, albeit only on standard maps. Now with a new copy of windows installed, increase of ram from 512 to 768MB, re-installed CIV with the 1.52 patch and....and I think this is where my problem lays....upgraded the drivers for my mobility radeon 9200 64mb graphics card...the game no longer plays.

Please could someone talk me through the best course of action for me. I apologise in advance for not being totally computer literate and for my caution; but having been without my laptop for over 2 months with it going backwards and forwards for service and everything apart from CIV now working I am reluctant to take a gung ho attitude to resolve this.

best regards
morpheous

edited dxdiag file:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/18/2006, 13:18:37
Machine name: P-WUSVN6GQNYJGM
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Pavilion zx5000 (DS471U#ABA)
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 766MB RAM
Page File: 194MB used, 1683MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: MOBILITY RADEON 9200
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: MOBILITY RADEON 9200 AGP (0x5C61)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5C61&SUBSYS_006B103C&REV_01
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6436 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/15/2004 21:29:34, 202752 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 5/15/2004 21:29:12, 701952 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1F21-11CF-A86A-6120A0C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x5C61
SubSys ID: 0x006B103C
Revision ID: 0x0001
Revision ID: 0x0001
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------

Name: MOBILITY RADEON 9200
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5C61&SUBSYS_006B103C&REV_01\4&24771B77&0&2808
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ati2mtag.sys, 6.14.0010.6436 (English), 5/15/2004 21:29:12, 701952 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2dvag.dll, 6.14.0010.6436 (English), 5/15/2004 21:29:34, 202752 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2cqag.dll, 6.14.0010.0233 (English), 5/15/2004 21:14:40, 229376 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2mdxx.exe, 6.14.0010.2494 (English), 3/22/2004 12:39:10, 65536 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati3d1ag.dll, 6.14.0010.4071 (English), 5/15/2004 21:21:00, 870752 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati3d2ag.dll, 6.14.0010.4071 (English), 5/15/2004 21:23:20, 1057760 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati3duag.dll, 6.14.0010.0231 (English), 5/15/2004 21:27:00, 1888992 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ativvaxx.dll, 6.14.0001.0009 (English), 5/15/2004 21:18:32, 516768 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atitvo32.dll, 6.14.0010.4100 (English), 5/15/2004 21:16:16, 17408 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.exe, 6.14.0010.4099 (English), 5/15/2004 21:27:50, 397312 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.dll, 6.14.0010.4099 (English), 5/15/2004 21:27:54, 86016 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2edxx.dll, 6.14.0010.2494 (English), 5/15/2004 21:27:58, 30720 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll, 6.14.0010.4276 (English), 5/15/2004 21:44:58, 6189056 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atiiiexx.dll, 6.14.0010.4002 (English), 5/15/2004 22:07:20, 294912 bytes

Name: ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5838&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&61AAA01&0&08
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atisgkaf.SYS, 5.00.2195.1007 (English), 10/7/2003 20:41:00, 13174 bytes

Name: PCI standard host CPU bridge
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5833&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&00
Driver: n/a

Name: ATI SMBus
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_006B103C&REV_16\3&61AAA01&0&A0
Driver: n/a

------------------
DirectX Components
------------------
ddraw.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 266240 bytes
ddrawex.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 27136 bytes
dxapi.sys: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 10496 bytes
d3d8.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:42 1179648 bytes
d3d8thk.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:42 8192 bytes
d3d9.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:42 1689088 bytes
d3dim.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 436224 bytes
d3dim700.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:42 825344 bytes
d3dramp.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 590336 bytes
d3drm.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 350208 bytes
d3dxof.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 47616 bytes
d3dpmesh.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 34816 bytes
dplay.dll: 5.00.2134.0001 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 33040 bytes
dplayx.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 229888 bytes
dpmodemx.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 23552 bytes
dpwsock.dll: 5.00.2134.0001 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 42768 bytes
dpwsockx.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 57344 bytes
dplaysvr.exe: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:50 30208 bytes
dpnsvr.exe: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:50 18432 bytes
dpnet.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 375296 bytes
dpnlobby.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:04 3584 bytes
dpnaddr.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:04 3584 bytes
dpvoice.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 212480 bytes
dpvsetup.exe: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:50 83456 bytes
dpvvox.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 116736 bytes
dpvacm.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 21504 bytes
dpnhpast.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 35328 bytes
dpnhupnp.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 60928 bytes
dpserial.dll: 5.00.2134.0001 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 53520 bytes
dinput.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 159232 bytes
dinput8.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 181760 bytes
dimap.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 44032 bytes
diactfrm.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 394240 bytes
joy.cpl: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 68608 bytes
gcdef.dll: 5.01.2600.0000 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 76800 bytes
pid.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 35328 bytes
dsound.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 367616 bytes
dsound3d.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 1294336 bytes
dswave.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 19456 bytes
dsdmo.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 181760 bytes
dsdmoprp.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 71680 bytes
dmusic.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 104448 bytes
dmband.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 28672 bytes
dmcompos.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 61440 bytes
dmime.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 181248 bytes
dmloader.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 35840 bytes
dmstyle.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 105984 bytes
dmsynth.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 103424 bytes
dmscript.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 82432 bytes
system.dll: 1.01.4322.0573 English Final Retail 2/13/2006 14:31:00 1216512 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:37 473600 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.07.0239.0000 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:37 576000 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:38 145920 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:38 159232 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:38 364544 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:39 178176 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:35 53248 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:36 12800 bytes
Microsoft.DirectX.dll: 5.04.0000.2904 English Final Retail 2/18/2006 09:32:35 223232 bytes
dx7vb.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 619008 bytes
dx8vb.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 1227264 bytes
dxdiagn.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 2113536 bytes
mfc40.dll: 4.01.0000.6140 English Final Retail 3/31/2003 12:00:00 924432 bytes
mfc42.dll: 6.02.4131.0000 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 1028096 bytes
wsock32.dll: 5.01.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:48 22528 bytes
amstream.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:42 70656 bytes
devenum.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 59904 bytes
dxmasf.dll: 6.04.0009.1125 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 498205 bytes
mciqtz32.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 35328 bytes
mpg2splt.ax: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 148992 bytes
msdmo.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 14336 bytes
encapi.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 20480 bytes
qasf.dll: 9.00.0000.3250 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 237568 bytes
qcap.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 192512 bytes
qdv.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 279040 bytes
qdvd.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 385024 bytes
qedit.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 562176 bytes
qedwipes.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:26 733696 bytes
quartz.dll: 6.05.2600.2749 English Final Retail 8/29/2005 20:54:26 1287168 bytes
strmdll.dll: 4.01.0000.3928 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 246302 bytes
iac25_32.ax: 2.00.0005.0053 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 199680 bytes
ir41_32.ax: 4.51.0016.0003 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 848384 bytes
ir41_qc.dll: 4.30.0062.0002 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 120320 bytes
ir41_qcx.dll: 4.30.0064.0001 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 338432 bytes
ir50_32.dll: 5.2562.0015.0055 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 755200 bytes
ir50_qc.dll: 5.00.0063.0048 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 200192 bytes
ir50_qcx.dll: 5.00.0064.0048 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 183808 bytes
ivfsrc.ax: 5.10.0002.0051 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 154624 bytes
mswebdvd.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 204288 bytes
ks.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:15:22 140928 bytes
ksproxy.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 130048 bytes
ksuser.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 4096 bytes
stream.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:08:04 48640 bytes
mspclock.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 22:58:40 5376 bytes
mspqm.sys: 5.01.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 22:58:42 4992 bytes
mskssrv.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 22:58:42 7552 bytes
swenum.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 22:58:42 4352 bytes
mstee.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 22:58:40 5504 bytes
bdaplgin.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 18432 bytes
bdasup.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:14 11776 bytes
msdvbnp.ax: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 56832 bytes
psisdecd.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 363520 bytes
psisrndr.ax: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 33280 bytes
ipsink.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 16384 bytes
mpeg2data.ax: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 118272 bytes
ndisip.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:14 10880 bytes
mpe.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:14 15360 bytes
streamip.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:14 15360 bytes
msvidctl.dll: 6.05.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:44 1428480 bytes
slip.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:18 11136 bytes
nabtsfec.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:30 85376 bytes
ccdecode.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:18 17024 bytes
vbisurf.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 30720 bytes
msyuv.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:46 17408 bytes
kstvtune.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 61952 bytes
ksxbar.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 43008 bytes
kswdmcap.ax: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:58 90624 bytes
wstcodec.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:22 19328 bytes
wstdecod.dll: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/4/2004 00:56:48 50688 bytes
msdv.sys: 5.03.2600.2180 English Final Retail 8/3/2004 23:10:00 51328 bytes

------------------

chegitz guevara
Feb 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know if this version is problematic?

morpheous
Feb 20, 2006, 05:25 AM
This is just a follow up to let you know that yesterday I uninstalled ATI control panel and took the plunge and installed Radeon Omega Catalyst 4.12 drivers.

I am pleased to advise that I am once again able to play CIV on med resolution, full screen, single characters on standard maps. I have not tried a large map but will post my results here when I do.

Thank you to everyone here who recommended and offered guidelines with regards to the Omega 4.12 drivers.

regards
morpheous

Ukas
Feb 22, 2006, 08:47 AM
I tried Omega drivers with no improvement. I have a AMD 2,4, 9800pro 128mb and 1 GB RAM.

I think biggest problem is not the video card, or drivers, but memory problem in Civ4. I could play a nice, just a little slow game on a huge map with 1.09 patch with Harkonnen memory fix. With 1.52 I can't get past industrial era, game just will not load.

Too bad Harkonnen fix is only for 1.09 but he is working to update it for 1.52.

RakuPL
Mar 16, 2006, 02:54 PM
Now I'm using newest Omega drivers and nothing is wrong with Civ4. Game runs without any crashes, freezes and etc.

BothofUs
Mar 27, 2006, 05:34 AM
For me, the 4.12 Omega driver helped me a LOT.

Only problem is, I don't think it's compatible with my widescreen monitor because when I install the driver, the 1440 x 900 resolution is no longer an option for my entire computer.

PLEASE HELP.

auldian
Mar 28, 2006, 02:35 AM
It's in his most recent drivers here (http://www.omegadrivers.net/). What's New in Omega Drivers?
v3.8.221

Based on the Catalyst 6.2 Official drivers.

[+] Added support for x1900 Series.

[F] Fixed installation support for Radeon Express 200 cards.

[+] Added a new wide-screen resolution, 1440x900.

Barn Owl
Mar 28, 2006, 05:37 AM
I've always used Omega Drivers and swear-by them, didn't realise they only just introduced wide-screen support though, that bit of info is really useful as I'm planning to take the wide-screen route when I upgrade to an lcd monitor soon.

BothofUs
Mar 28, 2006, 06:49 AM
I'm using the most recent driver but it isn't as stable as the 4.12.

jonjon
Jun 13, 2006, 05:28 AM
I Follow you! I´m in the exact same position, except I had to buy a second copy of the game, bc The first one i got was part of a bad lot, that cant make disc 2 install the game. I feel fustrated and cheated!!! I have spent 100 Dlls. already and can´t play the game still, SID should have used another developer, The suck!

Karam
Jun 15, 2006, 01:35 PM
Would an 'ATI Radeon x1600 with 512 MB of RAM' be enough to play Civ4 flawlessly?

auldian
Jun 15, 2006, 05:17 PM
Would an 'ATI Radeon x1600 with 512 MB of RAM' be enough to play Civ4 flawlessly?Not likely. Flawlessly is probably a couple of years away for this game. That card has a pretty tight memory interface (128 bits) compared to a lot cards in use now also.
Some comparisons are here: http://www.neeyik.info/3dspecs/
and there's more discussion in the stickied "TnL get your facts straight" thread atop this forum (where that chart was originally linked).
The graphics card is only one piece of the puzzle. That said, for the money, the X1600 is a pretty good value in many people's minds.

Karam
Jun 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
Auldian, I meant would it enable playing on huge maps without the huge lag... that's if I had a system with sufficient RAM and all?

Would the game be playable with a Radeon x1600 512 MB?

auldian
Jun 16, 2006, 01:08 AM
Auldian, I meant would it enable playing on huge maps without the huge lag... that's if I had a system with sufficient RAM and all?

Would the game be playable with a Radeon x1600 512 MB?Few people here have described playing huge maps fluidly. The X1600, while it has a large amount of VRAM (good), has some bottlenecks under the hood. I would not expect a marked performance increase over my current 9800PRO/128 (near 3 years old) if I were to replace it with the X1600.
As far as "playable" goes, huge maps are for me, but I use lean settings, etc., and would even with the X1600 I'm sure. This game is a bit of a hog and just doesn't stand up against games by Blizzard and others that scroll very smoothly and "snap" around with all features enabled.
Consider though what you're upgrading from. Like I said, for the money, a lot of people do consider the X1600 a very viable upgrade, especially if you're to squeeze another year or so out of an AGP motherboard. It does tout newer accomodations such as the pixel shader 3.0.

mckate
Jul 06, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have an old sony vaio pcg-gr390. It has an un-upgradable ati mobility radeon-d with 16 meg. It always freezes when playing games like AOE. It wouldn't even display anything on Civ. 4, just one big black playing field.
I went and downloaded the newest omega driver and it crashed like hell. Then I went back for one of the older versions and tweak tools and fooled around with the settings. I wasn't expecting any of it to work because I had tried so many fixes on so many other games in the past. These drivers work, even on an underpowered old laptop. Thanks for the tip you guys.

warmwaffles
Jul 07, 2006, 02:12 AM
Yes mckate Omega is a good open source driver...I love it because they allowed my PC (celeron D *YUCK*) to play Unreal Tournament 2004 (with the settings on high and a high resolution), allowed me to play BF1942, CivIV, DungeonSeige2, World of warcraft runs good...though internet connection sucks, warcraft 3....the list goes on but stops at games like Counter Strike 2 and other cool high GFX games

shmily_dana
Aug 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
I have a 9600 (PRO 256meg). I have not updated my driver since CIV4 came out because everything workes fine for me. I don't have any problems with Warlords either. If I update now, do I have any chance of "breaking" my ability to play CIV4?

auldian
Aug 24, 2006, 04:18 PM
I have a 9600 (PRO 256meg). I have not updated my driver since CIV4 came out because everything workes fine for me. I don't have any problems with Warlords either. If I update now, do I have any chance of "breaking" my ability to play CIV4?It likely won't "break" your ability to play. That said, they often counsel at the driver site that if you aren't experiencing problems or missing a new feature, there's probably no dire need to upgrade.

shmily_dana
Aug 24, 2006, 05:09 PM
It likely won't "break" your ability to play. That said, they often counsel at the driver site that if you aren't experiencing problems or missing a new feature, there's probably no dire need to upgrade.

My motivation for asking is that when I installed GalCIv2, it reminded me that I have old video drivers. I have no problems with that game either, but I know I will get to the point where I will have to update for some new game. Of course, if I have CIV4, why do I even need another game...

Jimdigriz
Aug 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
I've always used Omega Drivers and swear-by them, didn't realise they only just introduced wide-screen support though, that bit of info is really useful as I'm planning to take the wide-screen route when I upgrade to an lcd monitor soon.

Two things here - if youre getting a new monitor soon get a widescreen one if youre playing Civ 4 a lot! I got a new 19" widescreen monitor a few months ago and Im so glad I did - Civ 4 is much better running on a widescreen monitor (city screen shows more information for a start).

Also, make sure youre graphics card is good if you do get the above - Ive only got a radeon 9550 256mb card and if youre playing huge games thats got to be a bare minimum. I have had out of memory problems near the end of my games, updating to the latest omega drivers seemed to fix that though! :)

leogivild
Sep 27, 2006, 07:38 PM
After reading a number of threads, I still don't get why Civ4 craps out with the ATI drivers? I hope firaxis comes out with a fix for this.

Jimdigriz
Oct 01, 2006, 05:40 AM
After reading a number of threads, I still don't get why Civ4 craps out with the ATI drivers? I hope firaxis comes out with a fix for this.

As I said above, no problems here - use the latest Omega drivers! (easier to update as well)

auldian
Oct 01, 2006, 11:08 AM
Once I updated my directx and chipset drivers, every ATI catalyst driver set has worked fine.

pilight
Oct 03, 2006, 10:29 AM
My computer couldn't handle the Omega drivers or the regular Catalyst drivers. So I can't play with the new patch.

So, I'm getting a new computer. It was well past time anyway, mine is 4 1/2 years old.

EnemyGateIsDown
Oct 13, 2006, 08:01 PM
Remind me never to get ATI...

i have an ATI mobility 9700, and i just tryed to update my drivers. Well, i get this error message saying "INF error. Video Driver not found."

I've tryed system restore, rolling back the driver, which just got it stuck in an even worse version and other things...help please?

CivDude86
Oct 14, 2006, 06:52 AM
Thats because your suppose to get those drivers from your laptop manufacture. But you can just use this tool (http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool).

EnemyGateIsDown
Oct 15, 2006, 09:26 AM
I did try the dell drivers..didn't work. But ok. I'll try it.

Randyg10
Oct 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
Trying to get CIVILIZATION IV to stop locking up, have windows XP service pack 2 and Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DDR ATI card. I see a lot of other people haveing trouble as well and see Omega drivers as a suggestion. Any body know a definitive driver that may fix the intermitant lock up I am having. Any help greatly appreciated.

JosefStalinator
Oct 23, 2006, 10:51 PM
Anyone have links that work? The first post's ones all are dead.

CivDude86
Oct 24, 2006, 09:44 PM
ATI (http://www.ati.com) under drivers and software tab.

jetonup
Dec 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
i have had the same problem w/ civ 4 that everyone else had. I have an ATI mobility radeon 9200 and i'd like to know what the best omega driver is to install that works reliably in all aspects of computer usage. i know that there have been some new versions, but noone's been talking about them. which should i download?

p.s. i have the v. 1.61 patch downloaded and all minimum requirements met.

jetonup
Dec 18, 2006, 12:48 AM
ok i am really pissed off because i just downloaded and installed the omega driver 4.12 and it didn't improve my problems with civ 4. but the big problem is now I CAN'T SEE MY DESKTOP SCREEN

when i start up my computer i get the windows loading screen but then instead of a desktop screen i get a PITCH BLACK SCREEN and a white mouse cursor. and i can move the cursor around and it seems to respond to icons or something but i can't see anything at all.

I am really frustrated at this result and I would like any advice that can help me with this ordeal, since right now I can't do anything, and that includes the work that I have to do for my job.

CivDude86
Dec 18, 2006, 02:10 AM
4.12! Thats a 2 year old driver.

Barn Owl
Dec 18, 2006, 04:42 AM
This might be the cause of your problem:

I must inform you that the Omega Drivers no longer support 92xx or lower cards, the drivers will install, but they may give you a BSOD upon boot or a black screen. If you have any of these cards that where "dumped", please use the Omega Drivers v3.8.252 or older, they can be found in the Archive section.

Hope this helps.

pengker
Dec 24, 2006, 01:37 AM
At last it was another weekend for me to spend free-from everything else, relax, and play civ4.

I installed the game to my desktop computer, with ATI 9800 Pro (Sapphire build) AMD 3000, windows XP home (fully updated)

Now I've tried everything. EVERY-SINGLE-F*-THING to get this game working. But it still wouldn't work. Game chrashes in about 15 turns or so. All I get is a black screen - with no error messages or whatsoever, and I need to do a complete system restart everytime. It's definately not about anything special, videos, leaderheads,battles or such, because it just has a random probability to crash anywhere in the game, and everthing is just perfect until that point (Renderings, textures etc.) It once chrashed when I was going through civilopedia!:wallbash:

I am trying every bit of thing I read from any forum. I am in front of my computer for about last 15 hours or so to fix that problem. AAARGG!!!!:mad:

let me list;

-I minimized the all Audio, Video and Graphics settings to the lowest. wouldn't work.
-I upgraded to the newest drivers and latest patches. wouldn't work.
-I downgraded to Omega 4.12. wouldn't work.
-I re-upgraded to 5.x something. wouldn't work.
-I completely reinstalled the game. Tried the Art0 Pak fix. wouldn't work
-I tried the OldArt fix. wouldn't work
-I turned down the Smartgart off. wouldn't work.
-I retried everything I listed above here about three times. wouldn't work.

If I missed a featured solution there, it's probably I tried it and it didn't work. I just forgot to mentioned it.

My brothers computer would run it and it's a f* Pentium III!

Sid, has killed my inner child...

Somebody please help me. by providing me a knife or something.

Travis76
Dec 25, 2006, 12:27 AM
pengker i saw both your posts and i have the same problem. Im not going to bother doing all that Omega garbage but whenever i start the game its sweet and runs fine, and then randomly it will either just go completely blank and i have to restart my CPU, or i have this annoying pop up saying "VPU recover". I got this game for christmas so can someone please help me and my fellow civ player.

I know i should give my system specs but all i know is i have a ATI radeon 9600 and my computer has more then enough of everything to run top of the line games. Like i said, the game runs perfectly fine on my CPU it just stops and either goes black or gives me this annoying VPU recovery screen, someone please help!!!

ANTHRAXVIRIS
Jan 02, 2007, 10:50 PM
im sorry if this is in the wrong section but i saw ATi and figured i post. I have an ATi X700, and every time i run Civ4 it runs fine for about 10 minutes and then my screen will randomly go blank for a minute or two. then my whole computer will freeze up. I have upped both Civ4 and My drivers but when i downloaded and installed the drivers i couldn't make my screen resolution any bigger than 800x600 and only had 16 colors, so i had to delete them. HELP!!!! im tearing my hair out.

Barn Owl
Jan 03, 2007, 05:12 AM
I have upped both Civ4 and My drivers but when i downloaded and installed the drivers i couldn't make my screen resolution any bigger than 800x600 and only had 16 colors, so i had to delete them. HELP!!!! im tearing my hair out.

Have you installed the ATI Catalyst Control Centre, I believe it needs the Microsoft .NET Framework installed first, which should give you more control over resolutions and colours.

ANTHRAXVIRIS
Jan 03, 2007, 08:15 AM
Have you installed the ATI Catalyst Control Centre, I believe it needs the Microsoft .NET Framework installed first, which should give you more control over resolutions and colours.

yes i have Catalyst 1.2.2195.38647 and .NET Framework 1.1.4322.2032 is there some update i need?

Barn Owl
Jan 03, 2007, 10:47 AM
yes i have Catalyst 1.2.2195.38647 and .NET Framework 1.1.4322.2032 is there some update i need?

Latest Catalyst is 6.12, is that the version that you had to delete?

Also, what is your system spec, I assume the X700 is 256Mb, but what CPU, memory, OS, etc are you using. Was the X700 an upgrade, in which case have you upgraded your chipset drivers and Direct X to the latest versions?

bjb2445
Jan 08, 2007, 04:53 AM
Am having the same problems as everyone else. Just got the game yesterday. Here are my sys specs:

Dell Inspiron 6000
2.0 Ghz Pentium M
1 GB Ram
ATI Radeon X300 128 MB

I have installed the latest Catalyst Drivers (6.12 I believe) but still no luck. When I launch the game it just shows the loading screen for about 5 minutes, then it goes to Windows error reporting. I have patched the game to 1.61 but still no luck.

I was going to try the artpack fix, but I have the following problem. When I go to the directory C:/Firaxs Games/Sid meier Civilization IV/Assets directory there is no art.fpk file. Instead, I have assets0, assets1, assets2, assets3 files, all .fpk files. Should I try and unpack these? I am not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Viperace
Jan 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
The old Omege 4.12 driver used to work flawlessly with my 9800pro/Athlon XP 2800+ in Civ4 vanilla.

Now, after updating to 2.08 warlords, and the newest Omega driver, I would frequently crash. Especially at late game when the whole map is uncovered. Almost once every turn!! I have to save 3 times every turn!

I can't believe that Warlords expansion did not solve these problems yet

skhotc
Jan 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
Please, Please, Please....Can someone help me?!

I have just purchased Civ4 and installed it. BUT when i try to launch the game all i get is this ERROR message:

Initilize Renderer Failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings
Parameters:
-width =1024
-height =768
-flags =0xc
-hwnd = 0x1202d0
-adaptrid =0
-deviceid =3
Error:

I am running the game on a 4 year-old computer.
OS = Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2.
AMD Duron Processor.
1.00 GHz, 760 MB of RAM
121GB Free Hard Disk Space
ATI Radeon XIAi9250 Graphic Accelerator

I have read many messages on many different forums and followed the instructions on how to fix this problem but i just can't seem to get the game working. I know it's a great game, but i'm almost at my wits end with this.
So please, please, anyone out there reading this who knows how to fix this, please help me out.

Thanks in advance..................:crazyeye:

Barn Owl
Jan 23, 2007, 12:27 PM
I don't wish to be the bearer of bad tidings, but your system spec:

OS = Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2.
AMD Duron Processor.
1.00 GHz, 760 MB of RAM
121GB Free Hard Disk Space
ATI Radeon XIAi9250 Graphic Accelerator

doesn't even come up to the minimum system requirement, particularly in regard to the CPU, a 1.8 GHz is recommended. Also from personal experience and despite what the recommended spec is, you really need a 256 Mb graphics card, which I suspect yours isn't.

treinacles
Feb 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'm attempting to diagnose a reoccurring crash of Warlords, and I'm thinking it's my ATI Crossfire setup. It has happened on multiple occasions and usually in the later stages of the game.

Has anyone heard of or experienced Crossfire setups crashing Warlords?

System setup:
AMD FX-55
2 gigs Corsair DDR 400
2 x ATI X850xt in crossfire mode
Windows XP SP2

ShoKay
Feb 13, 2007, 05:58 PM
Hi, my laptop overheats after almost exactly 5 mins from loading up each time. If I try the tutorial it gives me the 'rendering' error that seems the common ATI problem, and if I go campaign it allows me, funnily enough, but then the machine shuts itself off.

AMD Athlon64 3700+
1gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (Omega 3.8.330 Drivers)
Patch 1.52, medium graphics setting, lowest resolution it suggests.

I'm sure I have to do all the general laptop overheaty things (clean dust thoroughly, and...anything else?) but by looking at that, can anyone tell me whether there's anything software side that I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

liljay1976
Feb 14, 2007, 06:23 PM
I have played CIV 4 for a while, now. I am having memory allocation issues with my video card. My system currently has an AMD X2 4400 CPU, two ATI Radeon X1600 PRO Overclocked Edition video cards in crossfire mode(256 MB each), 1 GB RAM, and I have Windows XP SP2 installed. I think that I have all of the drivers updated (along with patches), and I still get a message that says that " a runtime error has occured and application has to close down". Then I get another window that says something about "Video Memory allocation has failed" (or something along those lines). This usually occurs when I have reached the Industrial Era, during a marathon length game, with the video settings set to any level. What can I do? Thanks.

treinacles
Feb 15, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have played CIV 4 for a while, now. I am having memory allocation issues with my video card. My system currently has an AMD X2 4400 CPU, two ATI Radeon X1600 PRO Overclocked Edition video cards in crossfire mode(256 MB each), 1 GB RAM, and I have Windows XP SP2 installed. I think that I have all of the drivers updated (along with patches), and I still get a message that says that " a runtime error has occured and application has to close down". Then I get another window that says something about "Video Memory allocation has failed" (or something along those lines). This usually occurs when I have reached the Industrial Era, during a marathon length game, with the video settings set to any level. What can I do? Thanks.

I heard that older versions of Catalyst have been more stable...I'm not experiencing the same issues as you, my system just crashes...let me know if you come across a full system crash problem. ~peace~

Here's a forum that I found that might help you a bit:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147842

smokey t bones
Feb 15, 2007, 03:14 PM
hi. i just bought civ 4, and i cannot play it because during initialization, it says "cannot support widescreen mode desired". is there any way to fix this problem? do i need to buy a new video card? the current one i'm using (on my mom's computer) is an Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller. can anyone tell me what to do? also, if i have to buy a new video card, what's a cheap one that will work with the game and on my mom's computer, an hp pavilion 502n?

treinacles
Feb 16, 2007, 05:09 AM
hi. i just bought civ 4, and i cannot play it because during initialization, it says "cannot support widescreen mode desired". is there any way to fix this problem? do i need to buy a new video card? the current one i'm using (on my mom's computer) is an Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller. can anyone tell me what to do? also, if i have to buy a new video card, what's a cheap one that will work with the game and on my mom's computer, an hp pavilion 502n?

Does you PC meet the rest of the system requirements?

How much do you want to spend on a video card?

treinacles
Feb 16, 2007, 09:37 AM

You'll need a standard PCI video card...Not PCI-Express, not AGP...you may also need more RAM, and your processor is borderline. www.newegg.com had a couple cards...EBAY might be your best bet.

Good luck!

CivDude86
Feb 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
810E chipset=P3=not gonna run very good if at all.

OsmarChito
Mar 26, 2007, 01:00 PM
Can Anyone Explain Me What I This Thread About??

Artosoft
Mar 29, 2007, 02:30 AM
Can Anyone Explain Me What I This Thread About??
More likely asking how to solve problem with ATI card :king: .

Regards,
Arto.

Corporal P
Mar 31, 2007, 11:08 AM

Exactly the same problem I am having, especially this part "This usually occurs when I have reached the Industrial Era, during a marathon length game, with the video settings set to any level.". Even though, I am using a less powerful system but still with "the ATI card" (Radeon Mobility X1300), but I think it is good enough to run the game.

NB
Intel Duo Core 1.66 Mhz
1GB DDR2 667 Mhz RAM (512x2)
Radeon Mobility X1300 512MB Hyper Memory
Win XP (Up to date)

BTW, Have you figured out how to solve the problem yet? Or, anyone who knows how fix it, please! I haven't been playing the game for a long time now, too afraid of crashing when it is getting to the good part (modern age). :cry:

AlexO13
Apr 03, 2007, 06:37 AM
To everyone,

I need help urgently.

Just bought the same. Install it and everything looks fine. However, when I runs it, everything runs except that no picture comes out. All I can see is the "sword cursor".

My friend told me that it is my ATI mobility Radeon 9200 problem and recommend me to omega drivers. But, the drivers ruin my display (I got multiple layer of display instead of one). I try the catalyst driver, there isn't any for me. Everthing version they just keep saying they can't find my hardware.

Please help me with this problem.

P.S ..I am using a laptop that meets the minimum requirment and I installed the patches.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your reply

From

Alex

snoopy369
Apr 17, 2007, 12:15 AM
Try the UnPAK art fix ... that was supposed to be fixed in the 1.52 patch, but who knows.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140859

Mobile ATI cards are usually computer manufacturer supported, go to your laptop's website to find out.

kell_the_kyuss
Jul 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Howdy,

I'm fairly sure this is a gfx thing.

Happens only on BTS.

Screen blacks out sometimes, usually after a turn is about to start. I can reboot and reload and play some more. But it happens 4-5 times a game and its annoying me greatly.

Heat issues are in normal range.

So I imagine its the drivers.

WinXP
x700 pro (256 type)
756 ddr2
2800++ Sempron
Asus K8U-X

kell_the_kyuss
Jul 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
Tried the most recent drivers from amd-ati's site.

Blue screen half the time on boot up. Black screen every turn on BTS.

Tempted to uninstall BTS for a month or so till they get this worked out.

I have come to hate video driver hassles through the years.

blazer-glory
Jul 30, 2007, 05:09 PM
Mine only crashes when I update patch Civ IV

blazer-glory
Aug 05, 2007, 01:49 PM
I think this is pretty much unplayable if you have an ATI card, its constantly crashing

solitair
Aug 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hey all I could really use some assistance here. I have the following:
Pentium 4
2.8ghz
1 gig ram
ATI 9800 Pro agp video card
Windows XP Pro
Direct X 10 (and same thing happens with 9c)
I have Civ 4 and Civ 4 Beyond the Sword.

While playing Beyond the Sword my game crashes. It usually happens around 1400s to 1700s and ONLY when a diplomacy screen pops up. The message box comes up, it hangs/freezes for just a sec, and then it kills the signal from my pc to my moniter and my moniter registers no signal. The sound keeps hanging on a single note. Control, Alt, Delete does NOTHING. I have to hold the reset button on the PC and restart.

Odd thing is if I use drivers dating back to 2003 this problem doesn't replicate 100% of the time. However what does happen is this: in combat the side that wins loses all their figures in the unit and winning side doesn't. However once the fight is resolved the game corrects it.

If I download the 7-27-07 most recent drivers the hang up on the diplomacy screen happens 100% of the time.

I've noticed a similar problem happens with Galactic Civ 2, but using 2005 drivers, its fine. So I'm prompted to believe its my videocard. I've reformatted my pc last night to see if it might be the OS.

There are a couple of other things I want to try before getting a new videocard, but I was hoping someone might have some insight/suggestions or insights or having the same problem. I'm fairly tech savey but no where near most of you. Any assistance, advice, or insight would be VERY appreciated.

David

elefante
Aug 21, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hello,

it seems i am having a ATI problem as well =(
i am getting random crashes (unable to pinpoint any common theme during the crash), most of the time the game suddenly blacks out, and then a 'VPU Recover has reset your graphics....etc' message appears. sometimes, it totally hangs (or probably i couldnt wait for it to slowly get back to the desktop) and i can only power off it.

comp specs -
Motherboard: MSI915P Neo2 Platinum
CPU: Intel P4, 3.0GHz
RAM: 512MB (2x256 DDR2-400 (200MHz))
Graphics: Radeon X300/X500 Series (128MB, PCIe), driver version: 8.380.0.0
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

i am quite sure my comp has exceeded the recommended requirements, afterall this is a 2 year ago game and my PC is considered quite the norm of today's standard (i think?). i may not have the updated drivers as of today, but i think most of the required ones are up to date enough (i mean, at least its not a 1year old version)

another point to add, i have lowered all the graphics settings to the minimum (both game and from Catalyst) and it still happens. suprisingly, i am able to play Granado Espada, a relatively recent 3D intense mmo game.

is it really that ATI cards have this problem? im sure there are a bunch of ATI users who can play the game without any problem. why do ATI users always face problems ?!=(( or can anyone tell me what else is there to try, other than buying a new card?

Thanks...

troubled ATI user

blazer-glory
Aug 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
I worked out why mine was crashing and it maybe the same reason yours is. It turned out my video card was too dusty and was overheating. Open your pc and and take the card out. My card had a plastic cover over the fan. I removed that and then brushed all the dust from the fan.

elefante
Aug 24, 2007, 03:54 AM
hello

i hav solved my problem: i blew a fan directly into the PC with the casing off. the GPU is most likely over heated during game play. i wonder if ATI cards seem to have problems with heat? cos this is how i play granado espada too, with the fan blowing into the PC, i just dint think that a 2 yer old game wld require the same treatment.

for those who find it tedious, u can consider buying an extra GPU fan.. perhaps i should too.. then afterwards when its time to change, i will swear off ATI cards =/

ThWolf
Aug 31, 2007, 03:05 AM
Hello

I would like to know what are the latest ATI drivers, but which are suitable with BTS. The reason I'm asking this is becuase I saw on the forums that the latest ATI drivers are not always the best for Civ4, so I didn't want to download an ATI driver and screw up the game for me.

Thank you :)

Waterman
Sep 05, 2007, 06:18 PM
Trying to re-install Warlords, but the install process says the ATI Catalyst Control Center must installed. So, I click yes (even though I can see it in my system try). I try 'modify" and after the whole process is done, thinking I can proceed w loading game, it says same thing. Tried repair to no effect and then uninstall/reinstall - same effect... Getting really tired of this... I've tried everything I know of... Please help!! (Attached copy of control ctr wi some details of my PC)

desemondez
Sep 11, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hi I'm currently using a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro , and I have the gigabyte drivers installed on my card.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006067

Is it recommended that I attempt to install ATI Radeoon HD 2400 Pro drivers from the official AMD/ATI site in the event that the gigabyte site doesn't update their ATI drivers?

Also will there be any difference in the drivers from both sites?

dalamb
Nov 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
I worked out why mine was crashing and it maybe the same reason yours is. It turned out my video card was too dusty and was overheating. Open your pc and and take the card out. My card had a plastic cover over the fan. I removed that and then brushed all the dust from the fan.I was having screen-blank-out (no signal from the PC to the monitor), plus when it wasn't blank, my 3D games (Civ IV and Children of the Nile) got weird flashes all over the screen. Upgrading to the most recent drivers didn't help; reading the above message did! Blowing the dust out cleared up the problem nicely. I was too timid to remove the card, but just blowing out the dust with the card in place seems to have worked.

Rooseville
Dec 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and I got the blank screen on loading when I was using the latest, official ATI drivers. I uninstalled those drivers and installed the drivers from (gulp) Windows update. That solved my problems.

drugrep
Jan 28, 2008, 02:14 PM
Working on a friends computer who plays Warlords. I updated ATI drivers to newest 8.1 driver (Jan 2008) and game would not load. Screen would come up black and after about a minute, a error popped up which I forgot to write down. Told me to check driver, settings, direct X I think.

Had to roll back to 6.14.10.6462 (Mar 2004) and it loads fine now. His card is a 9600 Series Radeon.

vaigglesfan
Feb 16, 2008, 08:14 AM
Working on a friends computer who plays Warlords. I updated ATI drivers to newest 8.1 driver (Jan 2008) and game would not load. Screen would come up black and after about a minute, a error popped up which I forgot to write down. Told me to check driver, settings, direct X I think.

Had to roll back to 6.14.10.6462 (Mar 2004) and it loads fine now. His card is a 9600 Series Radeon.

I think I may be having a similiar problem but I'm not sure.

Yesterday BtS was working fine but today it isn't. Only known change to the system was a Windows Update this morning.

When I try to start of the BtS I end up getting the following message:

Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and GRaphics Settings Parameters:
-width = 1024
-height = 768
-flags = 0xc
-hwnd = 0x80062
-adaptrid = 0
-deviceid = 1

Error:

There is no error data listed. I have an ATI 9600 Pro (SEC) with the following version information: 8.421-070928a-053250C-ATI. I'm not sure if that changed this morning or not. Unfortunately, I'm not real savvy on the inner workings of these little devil boxes so I'm not sure whatelse to look for or what to attempt.

drugrep
Feb 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
You need to roll back the driver to previous version. Go to control panel, then system, the hardware tab, then device manager, then display adapters, right click on your vid card name, select driver, then roll back driver.

I think I may be having a similiar problem but I'm not sure.

Yesterday BtS was working fine but today it isn't. Only known change to the system was a Windows Update this morning.

When I try to start of the BtS I end up getting the following message:

There is no error data listed. I have an ATI 9600 Pro (SEC) with the following version information: 8.421-070928a-053250C-ATI. I'm not sure if that changed this morning or not. Unfortunately, I'm not real savvy on the inner workings of these little devil boxes so I'm not sure whatelse to look for or what to attempt.

MaxMonty
Feb 19, 2008, 03:53 PM
I recently got the same error message, following a WinXP update:

Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and GRaphics Settings Parameters:
-width = 1024
-height = 768
-flags = 0xc
-hwnd = 0x80062
-adaptrid = 0
-deviceid = 1

Have gotten that msg before, and my solution was to roll back my ATI driver (as suggested above).

System specs:
3200+ AMD Athlon 64
ABIT UL8 motherboard
1 GB RAM
ATI 9600 (All In Wonder), so 325MHz with 128MB SDRAM (AGP)
new addition! SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226cw - beautiful!

However...while the system works great as is, the sole exception is Civ4 (+Warlords), which requires the lowest graphics settings at 1680x1050.All the kool kidz are using PCIe; I can't, and further, don't want the hassle involved in upgrading motherboards and/or CPUs.

So basically I'm thinking of replacing my current AGP card with a GeForce 5200 FX (specs are 250MHz with 256 DDR) that's never been used, but am leaning towards buying a GeForce 7800 GT (+VisionTek TV Wonder 650 for video captures) and scrapping my ATI card altogether. I doubt the tradeoff between speed for more memory would result in much greater performance of Civ4 play.

Any thoughts? I'm sick and tired of dealing with ATI issues per Civ4.

blizzrd
Feb 28, 2008, 07:50 PM
I have been having ATI issues for a long time, but recently found a solution to my troubles.

I have ATI Radeon 2400 driver. When playing BTS RFC, I had no issues during the early eras but always entered problems towards the industrial/modern era. I would get "failed to allocated enough memory" and dumped back out of the program or sometimes simply watch my computer reboot. Very annoying, it would be happening almost every second turn after reloading.

I firstly tried going to the ATI website and downloading the most up-to-date driver and Catalyst Control Center. This didn't alleviate any of my problems, still crashing every second turn or so.

Then I went into the civ.ini file and looked through the settings. I made a change to turn on the "MemMaker" setting and hey presto! No more crashes for me.

I've been happily playing the rest of my BTS RFC game ever since, and Russia is just about to complete the Apollo Program for the UHV win.

ZeroM
Mar 18, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have a radeon x300 Card, been using the original drivers that came when I bought the machine, no issues. Today I updated to the most recent OMEGA drivers. Now when I start the game I get flickering and the picture rolls. Any ideas? Thanks.

WaterMoon
Aug 05, 2008, 08:35 AM
Reading Blizzrd's post above I thought I'd found the answer. Just like him I was gettting the "failed to allocate enough memory" message and the program would crash. So, seeing his solution was simply to go into civ.ini and change the setting for MemMaker seemed just the ticket. However, when I got home I searched the civ.ini file high and low and did not see the word MemMaker anywhere. Did it use to be there but got changed by one of the patches?

I did find the following two items that might relate to this problem.

Allows some memory savings ***ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION***
MemSaver = 0

Break on memory allocation order #
BreakOnAlloc = -1

Would changing either of these address the memory problem?
If so, what would the setting be changed to?

Reiko
Aug 07, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have an ATI x800XL card and the game now crashes every 6 or 7 turns.
It didn't used to do this and the only thing I can think of that is different is a windows XP update. :(

EDIT:
Turns out it wasn't my ATI card or windows update making it crash. It was cachmanXP. For some reason that utility was interfering with the game and uninstalling it fixed the problem.

thomson2008
Oct 14, 2008, 01:43 AM
It was recommended to you NOT to get the X1950, but you did it anyway. You were told to list your PSU specs, but you never did. Now you've "wasted" your money on an aux PSU for the graphics card when you should have simply replaced your main PSU. Why do you bother asking for advice if you have no intentions of taking it?