View Full Version : When do you think we'll see the first patch?

Big Ev
Oct 27, 2005, 01:02 AM
Clearly there have been a good amount of technical issues, think we could see a point release in about 1 or 2 weeks?

I would really like a Win x64 fix, but that's way down the list.

qu1etus
Oct 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
There had better be one asap, like tomorrow.

This is completely ridiculous.

adams_antics
Oct 27, 2005, 01:24 AM
i'll take bets on 2-3 weeks. since it's affecting almost the entire range of ATI cards, there's probably not a single ATI card within a mile of their office. They apparantly designed the entire game assuming it would work, and there could be dozens of complicated things to fix.

OR scenario 2... from the info on my other post it may be as simple as ID'ing the cards correctly. that might be pretty simple to fix. i'll still take bets though.

Big Ev
Oct 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
Any news on a potential release date for a patch?

Big Ev
Oct 31, 2005, 10:55 AM
Any news on a potential release date for a patch?

M4rek
Oct 31, 2005, 11:17 AM
same question
answer plz :(

Snarfy
Oct 31, 2005, 11:45 AM
Since their QA department obviously hasn't got any memory leak checking software, give them 3 weeks to order that and get it delivered.

Add another 4 weeks of training (they appear to be pretty slow) on the software, 2 weeks to actually find anything, 3 weeks to schedule a meeting with the developers... then 4 weeks for the developers to determine how to fix the problems, 3 weeks to actually make the fixes.

Then send it back to QA where QA will take 3 weeks checking the fixes...

Gives us a patch delivery date of 5 months from now.

Happy travels.

Zubyo
Oct 31, 2005, 12:39 PM
There had better be one asap, like tomorrow.

This is completely ridiculous.
Amen dude

I never saw that much trouble with a game in so little time

flub
Oct 31, 2005, 12:51 PM
This has got to be one of the worst releases in gaming history.

H0K135
Oct 31, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hopefully they'll release one bigass patch in the next week or so because this is downright ridiculous.

al_thor
Oct 31, 2005, 01:02 PM
Agreed. I've been gaming for like 10 years, and I have NEVER encountered such difficulties and HARD crashing.
Runs great when it runs, but crashes without rhyme or reason. Grrrrrrrr!

fjorner
Oct 31, 2005, 01:10 PM
Dude, this is nothing compared to Black Isle's Fallout 2. That game was unplayable on most systems for a month, and had major game-killing fumbles all over the place. Talk about rushed to production. In the end, six months later, was a great game. But after the original Fallout was release with near perfection, Fallout 2 was a colossal dissappointment.

I don't know about you guys, but I never did get resolutions to some of my Civ III problems and it took me a while to fix the initial ones too.

But really... this is probably something they are already aware of but didn't have time to fix before shipping. They've probably been working with vendors since a month ago on various problems. Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.

Frustrating? Yes. Unethical? Probably not. Ensuring their software is top quality on initial release? Nope.

H0K135
Oct 31, 2005, 01:18 PM
Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.
So shafting everyone with an ATi card is an bug that can wait? I certainly hope they don't think so.

I would have rather had it delayed because of that (even if I had an Nvidia card) than have it shipped only supporting roughly half of the GPU chipsets on the market.

Pushead
Oct 31, 2005, 01:21 PM
I would figure a patch (most likely the second patch) right before Christmas. That way anyone who gets the game from Santa has something so they don't get frustrated.

Paccali
Oct 31, 2005, 01:51 PM
Its a matter of triage- what problems can we address immediately before release, what problems can wait, what problems aren't worth spending time on. Remember, lots of people CAN play the game, and that's the only thing they were aiming for with the initial release.

Frustrating? Yes. Unethical? Probably not. Ensuring their software is top quality on initial release? Nope.
This has nothing to do with triage. They moved the release date forward, and knowingly released a product before it was finished. This first patch isn't an "emergency patch" as the techies keep saying. Its the real version of the game that didn't come in the 50$ box we all purchased.

It is very unethical. They sold an unfinished product, and they're making us wait on them to release the real game to us. I don't think Firaxis understands that they aren't a huge game company. Vivendi, EA, Sony, and Microsoft have the resorces to screw people around like this. Take Two games can't possibly afford to lose their specific fanbase. Only a select group of people play these games in the first place. It doesn't do well for business to shaft them. They should have beta tested this game. CivFanatic, Apolyton, GameFAQs, and many many other boards are littered with software bugs and poor coding issues.

And the people responsible for this hang up on their customers and leave emails unanswered. They should count their blessings. Only by the fact that this game is so unique, do we not just take it back to the stores and tell them to screw off. But, for me, that won't last too much longer. If they don't patch by next Monday, I'm taking my copy back.

TheBarnacle
Oct 31, 2005, 02:03 PM
hmm, good question. i enjoy some of the responses that assume the game maker (like any company) acts in good faith and truly wants to deliver a product for the consumer. c'mon, if they release a patch before xmas it won't be b/c they want all those civ iv gifts to be enjoyable...had they wanted US to enjoy the game, they would've held off on the release!!!

which brings me to the point about them knowing it was broken already. probably true. i know that occurs in other software releases be it games or enterprise managment software, issues occur. often you 'go live' knowing there will need to be fixes. but whether or not they had already begun fixes? who knows.

i'm guessing early december for a small-ish patch that fixes problems for SOME people. hopefully, the memory gobbling one.

Paccali
Oct 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
This reminds me of when the Shadows of Luclin expansion came out for Everquest. They advertised the addition of a Bazaar, a new UI, as well as updating and revamping all of the old world zones to mesh with the new world zones.

The UI and the Bazaar took as long as six months to go live after we all purchased the game. They still hadn't revamped or remodeled the old world zones years after the expansion came out; and as far as I know, they still haven't remodeled them. The only thing they did was change some textures.

I hope Firaxis doesn't pull a Verant here. It doesn't matter. I'm just waiting for Spore anyway.

Mondo_
Oct 31, 2005, 02:21 PM
lol bad memories Paccali.. bad memories

Big Ev
Oct 31, 2005, 08:31 PM
Well I am hoping for a point release or hot fix very soon to deal with some crash issues. I've had the game for 5 days now and haven't been able to play a single game through. Also, the news has been little to none, only acknowledging the ATI problems and not giving a timeline for a possible fix.

blue3c
Oct 31, 2005, 09:32 PM
Don't hold your breath for any patch. You wanna know when the patch will come out, wait for the expansion pack. Thats the new gaming industry standards. Sell em crap, sell em expansion pack to fix said crap and get them twice for one game.

Eyeoftiger
Oct 31, 2005, 10:40 PM
I would have rather had it delayed because of that (even if I had an Nvidia card) than have it shipped only supporting roughly half of the GPU chipsets on the market.

This is hilarious. People ***** and moan all the time about games being pushed back on their release date, but when a game is released and there are bugs, EVERYONE and their mother is clamoring on and on about how the game company should have waited to release the game to fix the problems.

Hypocrites...thy name is typical gamer.:gripe:

H0K135
Oct 31, 2005, 11:32 PM
This is hilarious. People ***** and moan all the time about games being pushed back on their release date, but when a game is released and there are bugs, EVERYONE and their mother is clamoring on and on about how the game company should have waited to release the game to fix the problems.

In my opinion, if you're going to wait four years for a sequel you want it to be close to finished. Not a game that crashes every time you play it. I'm not being hypocritical at all, I'm telling it how I believe it should be. If a gaming company pushes back a release date they should atleast fix the major bugs in the game for version of the game which finally goes Gold.

TheBarnacle
Nov 01, 2005, 05:07 AM

typical unintelligent mind working there. :confused:

i think you're misunderstanding why most poeple complain about waiting/not waiting. a company (any company, not just games or software) puts out an early release date NOT so much b/c they think that's actually when they can get it done, but b/c the date lends itself better to any number of things (holidays, summer vacations, company getting sold, etc.).

think of how many movies are slated for release BEFORE THEY'RE EVEN MADE! then when the director doesn't make the cut, they often push back the release months, sometimes years, merely b/c they want to release it at a certain time of the year.

my point, is that were the game maker to say (some 3 years ago), "look for Civ IV xmas 2005!!!". that's a marketing date, not a programming date. so now they've reversed engineered the release so that the guys who MAKE the game have to meet deadlines along the way. a missed deadline or two by any number of sub-teams will delay the product setting up an clash between the build team and the marketing team. delay and lose sales? or push it out knowing it's broken and take the heat?

frankly, i don't like either scenario b/c they're both driven only by the desire to get my $$. and that seems to lead companies, and people, to act in THEIR best interests, not mine. so...don't give me a firm release until and unless you can meet it with a finished product. AND don't stick to the release (that they set!!!) if your product isn't satisfactory (or better!!).

Thorek
Nov 01, 2005, 06:39 AM
Since their QA department obviously hasn't got any memory leak checking software, give them 3 weeks to order that and get it delivered.

Add another 4 weeks of training (they appear to be pretty slow) on the software, 2 weeks to actually find anything, 3 weeks to schedule a meeting with the developers... then 4 weeks for the developers to determine how to fix the problems, 3 weeks to actually make the fixes.

Then send it back to QA where QA will take 3 weeks checking the fixes...

Gives us a patch delivery date of 5 months from now.

Happy travels.

You sure are a happy person:lol:

M4rek
Nov 01, 2005, 06:46 AM
I just want to know if they at least know what causes those crashes ... then a date of a patch ...coz reading forums I just see many smart or silly suggestions what can be wrong, but no facts at all :mad:

Rising Sun
Nov 01, 2005, 07:03 AM
This is sad after i see so many ppls couldnt run or barely run Civ4. I got this lastnight or 31st. Realise that my PC could barely run this so i got it anyway and played it for over four hours last night. Had only one crash (frozed) on main menu while restart few times.

My PC infos...

AMD 1.100MHz
512Mb with WinXP 2SP
GeForce 4 MX440 64mb

Only problems i had is black background while playing on the surface map, so i got latest patch for my Nivida board and fix it. But still i get this strange choppy sound while playing the movie and when you are playing the game if you hit ESC key, that mini window will flickin around. Luckly i press the right button back to main menu. Barely could see what on that mini window.

Cant believe how many ppls gonna be pissed with this and i dont think many will ever buy the furture expansions.

flub
Nov 01, 2005, 10:16 AM
The whole thign is leaving a rather sour taste in the mouth

FranklinNoble
Nov 01, 2005, 10:59 AM
At this point, I'd rather wait patiently for a patch that really fixes the problems rather that get a rushed patch that does little or nothing.

Still, an official communication from Firaxis or Take2 would be nice to have.

Ape Drape
Nov 01, 2005, 08:51 PM

That title was previously held by World War II Online till this game came out.

Ape Drape
Nov 01, 2005, 08:54 PM
Don't hold your breath for any patch. You wanna know when the patch will come out, wait for the expansion pack. Thats the new gaming industry standards. Sell em crap, sell em expansion pack to fix said crap and get them twice for one game.

Thank God for crackers and Kazaa.

BlackTerrain
Nov 01, 2005, 10:05 PM
Thank God for crackers and Kazaa.

You really think that is a good idea to post? Watch out the link below

blue3c
Nov 01, 2005, 11:58 PM
my god man did you say kazaa. I am suprised you can even get here. save your self some time and money, get a large cow magnet and run it over your drive. Then throw it in the darkest deepest water you can find. That may just save you from the bugs and lot you have now.

Big Ev
Nov 02, 2005, 12:37 AM
So no official word on a patch yet

H0K135
Nov 02, 2005, 01:44 AM
Of course not. Remember who we're dealing with here.

TakeTwo is teh sux0rz when it comes to this stuff.

FruMp
Nov 02, 2005, 02:16 AM

hmmm i dont know, battlefield 2 was hopelessly buggy when it was released.

exactly what you would expect would result from EA putting the blowtorch on to the design team.

M4rek
Nov 02, 2005, 03:09 AM
I want to know then the patch will be released!??!?
now!

BlackTerrain
Nov 02, 2005, 03:11 AM
they haven't even finished a beta-version yet and you are talking about a date for a patch? :crazyeye:

flub
Nov 02, 2005, 04:14 AM
I have a feeling that the patch will probably require a patch within a week.