View Full Version : Locks up between 2-5 minutes into game

NoBull6
Oct 27, 2005, 11:58 AM
Error description:
Between 2 and 5 minutes after I click on the Launch shortcut to start, the game locks my computer and turns off the monitor signal. I'll be playing, then all of the sudden my monitor goes into powersave mode from lack of signal, and the computer is locked. I have to hard reboot to start again.

Story:
I drove home from work for lunch today so that I could install the game and have it waiting for me when I got home later. The installation went fine - no hitch whatsover.

When I launched the game the first time, it crashed during the opening movie. I disabled dual monitor support, launched again, and this time I was able to start a game, but once again it locked/failed.

I can't imagine what on Earth is causing this problem. I built this computer myself in February of this year. Here are the important specs, in case someone can spot something in here:

Mobo: DFI LanParty UltraD
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 90nm
GPU: nVidia GeForce 6600GT
RAM: 1GB Corsair Value Select
HDD: WD Raptor 74GB
Dual Disc Drives: NEC 3450A DVD/CD Burner, Forget what the second one is

Any ideas? Also, does anyone know the number for Civ Tech Support? I can't access www.civiv.com from work (don't have latest version of flash).

godochaos
Oct 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
this is the same thing that is happening to me
monitor goes blank.
I hear a click

Sometimes i can play for 1 hour, sometimes 2 min.

Raezal
Oct 27, 2005, 01:55 PM
I'm running into exactly the same problem. As you can see my graphics subsystem is pretty similar. I'm running multi-monitor as well, but it doesn't seem to have much bearing on whether it crashes or not. Hopefully these major bugs get ironed out soon enough as the game seems really good when I can actually play it.

Mobo: Abit IC7-G Max II
CPU: Intel Pentium 4C 2.4GHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce 6800GT
RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS-3500C2
HDD: Hitachi 7K250 250GB SATA

NoBull6
Oct 27, 2005, 02:44 PM
Raezal - How long have you been able to play at one time?

I've tried around 5 times now, and can't get past 5 minutes. I was looking forward to playing when I got home, but now I'm dreading getting to the house because I'll get frustrated with having Civ and not being able to play it!

Bal Ur
Oct 27, 2005, 02:54 PM
I'm having the same problem with mine, which leads me to believe it is a Nvidia issue, since my 5500 is nowhere near the same as a 6800. What drivers are you using? I have the newest ones, from the 20th I believe.

Raezal
Oct 27, 2005, 02:55 PM
I think the longest it ran for me was about about an hour and a half. I left it on during the tutorial and it ran at least that long before it hard-locked. It's probably coincidence but the game has crashed every time I've tried to run it since my second normal game session crashed. I haven't gotten too much in the way of troubleshooting done but reverting to an older nVidia driver than the latest got me nowhere.

CelerityChip
Oct 27, 2005, 03:36 PM
There are definitely some issues with a wide range of nvidia cards.

Still, make sure you have the newest drivers, and also check that your video card, cpu and in fact entire case are getting adequate cooling. I was having this trouble with some other games on my Leadtek 5950, and when I opened it up the filter on the vpu fan was totally clogged. (bad design!)

NoBull6
Oct 27, 2005, 03:58 PM
I checked my error log, this is what I saw:

[Oct 27, 2005 - 16:41:47] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

I don't even have an HUD folder! So, I created an HUD folder under Civ4, and copied the city_titlearrows.tga file that I found in another directory. I played the game, having high hopes - made it 2 minutes in, and crashed again. Rebooted, checked the error log, and had the same error with a different time stamp.

Now I'm changing the .thm file to point to the correct location of the original .tga file. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I wanted to post my log file here before I tried this again. Does anyone have the same error log?

Wihle I've been messing with this, I installed Civ4 on my 2001 Dell. It didn't meet the minimum requirements, but I've been playing Civ without sound for the last 13 minutes! So why my old Dell works, but not my new computer, is weird to me.

godochaos
Oct 27, 2005, 04:27 PM
keep us posted. I am at work but when I get home I will try to replicate your solution. Please post with explicit details if you get it to work.

I have an Nvidia card- updated drivers and DirectX

Thanks mucho for working to together to get us all playing!

godochaos
Oct 27, 2005, 04:29 PM
would u mind letting me know where the error log is in XP?
i will post it when i get home.

Guitarkalle
Oct 27, 2005, 04:37 PM
Have you had any problems with other games?

I do not know if this applies to Nvida graphic cards, but my computer with an ATI card locked up a lot on some games.

Make sure you have FastWrite turned off and it may help!

NoBull6
Oct 27, 2005, 04:42 PM
Alright, so I was playing Civ on the new computer, after doing the modification I mentioned in the above post. Things were going smoothly for 12 minutes, then the same thing happened again. I checked the error file, and it's the same as above, except the location for the .tga is not 'HUD' but the new location I put in the Custom.thm file.

It seems that it's looking for the file correctly, but something's wrong with the .tga file. I opened it up in Photoshop, and it works fine - not a corrupt image.

So, I went back into the Custom.thm file, and put in an absolute reference to the .tga. Fired up Civ, and it couldn't even get through the opening movie before quitting!

I opened up the error log, and I'm getting the same message yet again.

So, I copied the .tga from my old computer to the new computer, fired it up - same problem.

So, I'm out of ideas. Anyone else been trying anything?

Driftwood
Oct 27, 2005, 05:11 PM
I've just started having the same problems you all have. The thing is that I shouldn't be! Last evening I installed the game with almost no problems. The only thing that might have went wrong is that disk 1 ended up being the play disk and not disk 2. I can't imagine this being a problem though, since the game ran without so much as a blip in performance for several hours last night. The only thing that eventually went wrong was that the music that's played during great wonder movies was coming through in bits and pieces about half way through my session. I believe that this is where my problem started.

I came to the forums to see if anyone else has been having problems with wonder movies. It appears that many had been and the solution seemed to be to defragment your hard drive. This I did. It was the last thing I did before I went to bed. Now, today I arrived home, fired up the computer, and started a new single player game. During the loading sequence the game froze up. This scared me. I restarted my computer and tried starting a game again. This time it loaded just fine, but about five minutes into my game the computer froze again! This really scares me. The only thing I've done was defragment my hard drive. Could that be the source of the freezing?

Jorgen_CAB
Oct 27, 2005, 07:28 PM
I have the same problem, the game freezes after about a few minutes to maybe half an hour.

I have an Athlon 64 3200+, Nvidia 6800 128MB and 1024MB RAM.

I looked at my log and it says the same, though I have now installed my older Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB, I can play but I get the black ground bug instead.

The log say the same thing as before, so I don't think that has anything to do with the first problem.

At first I thought that there was something wrong with my Graphics card until i spotted this thread, good to know that my new card is OK.

This is really frustrating... :-(

Tomorrow I'm going to actually reinstall my Windows XP Professional and se if that makes any difference, new fresh drivers and no other programs to interfere.

Driftwood
Oct 27, 2005, 07:53 PM
I don't even have an HUD folder!

That's odd. I have a HUD folder in my Civ4 folder. It had 30 files in it (31 now with the file that we all seem to be getting errors from). I'm going to try playing now and see what happens. If the game doesn't freeze up I'll edit this post and confirm that it worked.

godochaos
Oct 27, 2005, 07:58 PM
I looked in my log:
[Oct 27, 2005 - 19:13:37] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

So i put the file in that folder, but i still lock up :mad:

let me know if u have any ideas!

I called tech support, got thru and they said go into DXdiag and override the refresh rate and set it at 60. THIS DOES NOT WORK

Driftwood
Oct 27, 2005, 08:38 PM
Ok, I think I've solved the problem!

I noticed that the crashes are not random. They only occur when the game is the process of autosaving. Solution: turn off autosave.

To do this, open the Civ4Config file found in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4. Actually, it's in My Documents, but this is where I was manipulating it from. Search for AutoSaveInterval and change it from 4 to 0. This will disable autosave. Doing this allowed me to play past the year the game was crashing (2400BC, an autosave year by default.) I'm going to keep playing and see if the game crashes or not. I'm confident that it won't, though.:)

Raezal
Oct 27, 2005, 11:18 PM
I made the change to my configuration file and it seems to be working so far. Maybe that is why I was able to play the tutorial successfully but not the main game. I can live without autosaves for now if it lets me play. Thanks for the tip.

NoBull6
Oct 28, 2005, 12:05 AM
Sorry I haven't put an update on here in a while, but I got it to work and didn't want to stop the game...

I ended up updating my video card drivers to ForceWare 81.85 (was at 69.something). Not sure why that fixed it, but if you haven't already, I would suggest doing that.

It isn't perfect on my computer, though. When I zoom out all the way, the terrain is blue/yellow streaks. My wonder movies are jerky with the audio.

All I know is I can now play Civ! I just finished my first game - space race victory in 6 hours (on Chieftan). Fun, but this game is pretty different from the old ones. Now that I've got the first game out of the way, I'll start to learn how to play this game.

Crimson Shadow
Oct 28, 2005, 06:58 AM
My GFX is Winfast A400GT-TDH (6800GT) (350 core /1000 mem). I have exact the same error message. The only difference is this screen.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4559/civ4corrsm7ox.jpg

Unless it resets automatically I must do it manually (hard reset or turn off).

Tried with two latest official WHQL drivers (78.01 and 81.85). With and without FSAA and AF.

The strangest thing is that only Civ 4 produces this (And FEAR demo did that 2 times). Other games work flawlessly.

Well, I will try if turning autosaves off can help. But this is some serious issue if I get a screen like that.

godochaos
Oct 28, 2005, 09:45 AM
I wanted to add something strange to this....
I got tired of trying to get it to work and so I went to play the 3D heavy Planetside MMO game. It did the exact same thing. Blank screen with a monitor click a few minutes into the game.
I asked myself what has changed on my machine since Planetside worked fine 2 days ago?: The answer is Directx from that Civilization cd, and the Nvidia video drivers I updated.

PS i tried a brand new 17 LCD monitor just to see if it was the monitor, no its not the monitor. I checked the fan on the video card and its spinning and clean.

ReconSOC
Oct 28, 2005, 09:45 AM
Crimson Shadow -

You and I are in the same boat. That is the exact screen corruption I get and I also get in with FEAR. It is totally RANDOM as far as I can tell. I have been trying to figure this out for days, contacting FEAR tech support and even my video card manufacutrer. I have contacted 2kgames but no response yet. After updating drivers and doing temperature tests and numerous other things, I finally reinstalled Windows XP last night. Even after a format and a fresh install it STILL happens.

My machine specs are:

P4 3.0 Ghz w/HT
Abit VT7 MB with Via PT880 using latest Via Hyperon Drivers
BFG 6800GT OC using the lastest Nvidia beta drivers 81.87
SB Audigy running lastest drivers
Win XP SP2
2 gigs of RAM
Direct X 9.0c - all tests pass

This does NOT happen in BF2 running at everything on high or Q4 running everything on Ultra. Each of these games - one DirectX based and one OpenGL based run flawlessly for hours. Both are system hogs and high intensity graphics. So, why does it happen in FEAR and Civ 4??? I am at a total loss.

ReconSOC
Oct 28, 2005, 09:47 AM
I am going to try to DL Direct X 9.0c from Microsoft and reinstall, perhaps something is wrong with the Direct X that shipped with FEAR and Civ 4.

Raezal
Oct 28, 2005, 10:32 AM
I seem to have just been lucky getting it to run after changing the autosave value. Civ 4s version of DX does seem suspect as I've encountered several video card lock ups outside of Civ 4 since I installed the new DX. The crashes are truly a pain as I have to unplug the molex connector to my graphics card to drain its power before I can use it again. I'm going to try system restoring to a earlier date and then installing Civ without the new DX. I don't even see why it's needed as I definitely had DX9.0c installed already and was still prompted to update DX during the Civ install.

ReconSOC
Oct 28, 2005, 10:59 AM
Turning Autosave off did not help me.

I spoke with 2kgames tech support a few moments ago. They have no idea...

Raezal
Oct 28, 2005, 11:14 AM
I should have made it clearer in my last post but autosaving didn't help me either. I got lucky and had it run for a decent period after making that change but it was only coincidence. I think my problem at least is related to the graphics subsystem as it has actually prevented me from using the graphics card until all power is drained from it after a crash.

lordqarlyn
Oct 28, 2005, 11:34 AM
For some people, this problem could be caused by a memory leak. Others are describing similar problems on other threads and I am also experiencing this problem as well. When your game locks up, check the HD light, if its lit solid, then Civ 4 is extensively using virtual memory which is what causes the system slowdown. Eventually the leak will cause all available memory to run out and the program crashes. I also found a direct correlation between map size and how soon the program freezes; larger maps appear to cause the freeze sooner. I found an optimal map size that seems to be stable, played for several hours and not one freeze. In the mean time, we have to wait for Firaxis to acknowledge the memory leak, then find it, and then to fix it.

If you do not see any hard drive activity while the program is slowing down, or you experience this on even small maps, its probably not caused by a memory leak.

Hope this sheds some light.

Don

ReconSOC
Oct 28, 2005, 11:46 AM
It's not a memory leak on my system. My RAM usage is pegged at 571Meg and never moves.

Crimson Shadow
Oct 28, 2005, 12:10 PM
@ReconSOC

Well then it is really strange. As I said I got the same screen corruption in FEAR demo. I will try full version when I get the chance.

But it boggles my mind what can be so 3D heavy in Civ 4 that causes such screen corruption.

As one pointed out it could be gfx memory that is causing problems (overheating) but how about that other games doesn't have these problems :confused: I have no problems in Doom 3, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas, PES4&5.

If your warranty for GFX is still vaild than try to replace it.

ReconSOC
Oct 28, 2005, 12:16 PM
ya - same problem with autosaves turned off. I am beginning to think that there is simply a problem with FEAR and with Civ 4 and Nvidia cards. BF2 on high is extremely demanding yet it DOES NOT crash after hour of play. In fact, I dont' think it has ever crashed.

On a side note when I was talking to tech support I had the guy look at the picture you posted. He said "wow that's weird".

fluff77
Oct 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
I have the problem detailed in the first post of this thread: at a seemingly random moment, I get that clicking sound that the monitor or graphics card (I'm no expert, I don't know which) makes when a game goes from 2d to 3d, while the screen goes blank. I've found I can alt+tab out and back into the game and carry on playing, but this gets tiresome after a few times and I've given up bothering to play until there is a fix.

Tech support is as useful as a dead elephant.

FEAR has been mentioned, so I'll say that I played through the whole game with no problem. Quake 4 also.

Here is the contents of the error log:

[Oct 28, 2005 - 00:45:21] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Same as everyone elses.

My system:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (first person in this thread with an ATI card?)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1gb RAM
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Win XP Home

godochaos
Oct 28, 2005, 02:41 PM
Fluff, i'm at work, so i have not been able to explore resolving this further, but have you tried copying the file :Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga
into the directory mentioned in the error report?

I'm leaning towards this being an issue of directx getting corrupted. I can think of no other reason why my 3d heavy Planetside game no longer works now. (or an issue with Nvidia drivers, but I have tried many sets of new and old drivers and still see the issue)

fluff77
Oct 28, 2005, 02:54 PM
NoBull6 already detailed his attempts at this and other similar ideas on the first page of this thread, he had no luck.

Driftwood
Oct 28, 2005, 03:19 PM
I guess it's understandable that my solution didn't work for you guys. My screen never displayed multi-colored tiles when it froze. The game and computer simply became unresponsive. There was no corrpution of the graphics. I must have been having a different problem then you guys were (and still are).

For the record, I'm not using the most up to date video driver for my computer. These are my system specs and they're working fine.

Geforce 7800 GTX (forceware version 78.01)
Athlon 64 X2 4400+
1gb RAM
Creative SB X-Fi
Windows XP Pro

mephistoex
Oct 28, 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm running on laptop with mobility radeon 9700 and 128mb of it's own memory. Currently when I'm at the menu the game hangs and some sounds remain playing there, I might get some weird checker screens and bump back to desktop, without my gpu drivers running.

If I'm fast enough I can get the singleplayer running, but after a few seconds it just tilts. Last nigh I tried all the fixxes mentioned here and after the creation of new user in windows I could play the game with the user. The menu wouldn't tilt after waiting a longer while, so I though yay it's fixxed and started playing the Tutorial, finished the tutorial and wen't to sleep.

Now after waking up I can't play the game again even if I create yet again new users, it's still the same problem. I too get this to my ThemeParseLog.txt

[Oct 28, 2005 - 14:26:59] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Starting to get aggrevated, haven't tried any other games yet, but atleast before I installed this game Quake 4 worked, though I've already uninstalled it. Maybe I should try out some directx cleaner and make a reinstall, it's weird since I already had directx 9.0c or whatever that game with Quake 4, although I also had it before that.

nho3
Oct 28, 2005, 05:10 PM
Hey guys I have the same problem as most of you except my vcard simply stops outputting video and my monitor goes into standby and the game crashes. I to have a Geforce card. I have the FX 5900XT 256mb vram card. I was using the latest Nvidia drivers version 81.85 and the game would crash and my video card would be put into some sort of safe mode where Direct3D is disabled and the resolution is locked at 640x480. I tried installing an older version of the drivers and the game runs longer before crashing. My current Nvidia driver version is 78.01. The game does have a memmory leak but its minor. I dont think that is the cause of the crashing. In most cases when a game crashes with no error message or causes some odd graphics it is the video card causing the problem. It could be a memmory leak within the video though. Most memmory crashes produce errors though. Unfortuatly MS has made it real hard to remove DirectX. If u simply run the install program for version 9.0c it will not do anything if you already have a verion of DX that is equal or newer than 9.0c. I'm going to try using DirectX Eradicator and installing a fresh copy of 9.0c that did not come with Civ4. If that doesnt work I will try an older version of DirectX.

godochaos
Oct 28, 2005, 05:54 PM
nho let us know if that works.
I get exact same issue on my 5900. Monitor goes blank no signal. 1-5 min into any games w 3D heavy graphics.
Currently using forceware 81.85 i think

I'm in the process of trying to get "Happy" directX uninstall to work :(
I will try to uninstall directx, but so far no luck, may need to completely reinstall xp :sad:

I'm screwed right now, because no games that use 3D work any more LOL

freezerburn26
Oct 28, 2005, 06:11 PM
I get the same exact screen as crimson shadow. Happens randomly. Also only on civ 4. evga geforce 6800gt newest drivers no overclocking or anything.

mephistoex
Oct 28, 2005, 06:14 PM
Well, I copied the city_titlearrows.tga or whatever from the Civ4/Custom folder to --> Civ4/HUD, the errors that are reported to ThemeParseLog.txt seems to have disappeared.

Well anyways I still get a crash with the game, similar to the couple posts before with my gpu getting to standby mode or something. I noticed that on the Logs folder I've this other error log:

PythonErr2.log

sys.path = ['ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\email', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\encodings', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\build', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\py', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\tools', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\colourchooser', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\editor', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\floatcanvas', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\masked', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\mixins', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\lib\\ogl', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\py\\tests', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM\\wx\\tools\\XRCed', 'ASSETS\\PYTHON\\SYSTEM']

sys.modules = {'zipimport': <module 'zipimport' (built-in)>, 'signal': <module 'signal' (built-in)>, '__builtin__': <module '__builtin__' (built-in)>, 'sys': <module 'sys' (built-in)>, '__main__': <module '__main__' (built-in)>, 'exceptions': <module 'exceptions' (built-in)>, 'CvPythonExtensions': <module 'CvPythonExtensions' (built-in)>}

sys.builtin_module_names = ('CvPythonExtensions', '__builtin__', '__main__', '_bisect', '_codecs', '_codecs_cn', '_codecs_hk', '_codecs_iso2022', '_codecs_jp', '_codecs_kr', '_codecs_tw', '_csv', '_heapq', '_hotshot', '_locale', '_multibytecodec', '_random', '_sre', '_subprocess', '_symtable', '_weakref', '_winreg', 'array', 'audioop', 'binascii', 'cPickle', 'cStringIO', 'cmath', 'collections', 'datetime', 'errno', 'exceptions', 'gc', 'imageop', 'imp', 'itertools', 'marshal', 'math', 'md5', 'mmap', 'msvcrt', 'nt', 'operator', 'parser', 'regex', 'rgbimg', 'sha', 'signal', 'strop', 'struct', 'sys', 'thread', 'time', 'xxsubtype', 'zipimport')
load_module CvEventInterface
load_module CvUtil
load_module traceback
load_module CvEventManager
load_module CvScreensInterface
load_module CvMainInterface
load_module ScreenInput
load_module CvScreenEnums
load_module time
load_module CvDomesticAdvisor
load_module PyHelpers
load_module CvTechChooser
load_module CvForeignAdvisor
load_module math
load_module CvMilitaryAdvisor
load_module CvFinanceAdvisor
load_module CvReligionScreen
load_module CvCivicsScreen
load_module string
load_module CvVictoryScreen
load_module CvOptionsScreen
load_module CvReplayScreen
load_module CvHallOfFameScreen
load_module CvDanQuayle
load_module CvGameUtils
load_module CvUnVictoryScreen
load_module CvDawnOfMan
load_module CvTechSplashScreen
load_module CvTopCivs
load_module random
load_module CvInfoScreen
load_module CvIntroMovieScreen
load_module CvVictoryMovieScreen
load_module CvWonderMovieScreen
load_module CvEraMovieScreen
load_module CvPediaMain
load_module CvPediaScreen
load_module CvScreen
load_module CvPediaTech
load_module CvPediaUnit
load_module CvPediaBuilding
load_module CvPediaPromotion
load_module CvPediaUnitChart
load_module CvPediaBonus
load_module CvPediaTerrain
load_module CvPediaFeature
load_module CvPediaImprovement
load_module CvPediaCivic
load_module CvPediaCivilization
load_module CvPediaLeader
load_module CvPediaSpecialist
load_module CvPediaHistory
load_module CvPediaProject
load_module CvPediaReligion
load_module CvWorldBuilderScreen
load_module Popup
load_module CvWorldBuilderDiplomacyScreen
load_module CvDebugTools
load_module CvDebugInfoScreen
load_module CvMapGeneratorUtil
load_module CvGFCScreen
load_module CvPopupInterface
load_module CvScreenUtilsInterface
load_module CvScreenUtils
load_module CvWBPopups
load_module CvCameraControls
load_module CvAdvisorUtils
PY:OnInit
load_module CvAppInterface

I've no idea what that means (well some idea what it means), but it actually doesn't seem to give any errors on that log. Still I'd presume since it's named PythonErr2.log it's got something to do with python and is an error.

So I can get around 30 secs of playtime, if I manage to go to single player I can play until the 30 secs comes around. Though I get the same problem with just looking at earth. I was hoping to actually play this game this weekend :/

mephistoex
Oct 28, 2005, 06:51 PM
Hmm.. I seem to have gotten it to "work", so I wen't to follow the python problem and stumpled to these lines on _Civ4Config:

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

I changed this to 0..

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

I then started the game and right after the intro had some 2 line python error in 2 different files. I pressed ok and after that everything worked. I didn't manage to get the error again for screenshot, but it's working. Though on restart I yet again got the Render initialization error, though when I re-restarted it didn't make that and now it works.. weird eh..

Well I'm all happy now if it really works, though I can't see how that would have fixed it. Well, atleast until the next error I'm off to playing.

// Still seems to bump me back to desktop before menu comes, but I can just re-activate civilization 4 from taskbar and get back to the menu. Maybe the python error still is there, but it isn't popping up anymore.

Big Ev
Oct 29, 2005, 04:00 AM
Bumping this thread till a solid fix is found

this is so stupid that we have to make our own custom hot fixes

vyshka
Oct 29, 2005, 04:06 AM
ya - same problem with autosaves turned off. I am beginning to think that there is simply a problem with FEAR and with Civ 4 and Nvidia cards. BF2 on high is extremely demanding yet it DOES NOT crash after hour of play. In fact, I dont' think it has ever crashed.

On a side note when I was talking to tech support I had the guy look at the picture you posted. He said "wow that's weird".

I actually hit it before on BF2, but not since I updated my Audigy 2 ZS drivers.

vyshka
Oct 29, 2005, 04:09 AM
Hey guys I have the same problem as most of you except my vcard simply stops outputting video and my monitor goes into standby and the game crashes. I to have a Geforce card. I have the FX 5900XT 256mb vram card. I was using the latest Nvidia drivers version 81.85 and the game would crash and my video card would be put into some sort of safe mode where Direct3D is disabled and the resolution is locked at 640x480. I tried installing an older version of the drivers and the game runs longer before crashing. My current Nvidia driver version is 78.01. The game does have a memmory leak but its minor. I dont think that is the cause of the crashing. In most cases when a game crashes with no error message or causes some odd graphics it is the video card causing the problem. It could be a memmory leak within the video though. Most memmory crashes produce errors though. Unfortuatly MS has made it real hard to remove DirectX. If u simply run the install program for version 9.0c it will not do anything if you already have a verion of DX that is equal or newer than 9.0c. I'm going to try using DirectX Eradicator and installing a fresh copy of 9.0c that did not come with Civ4. If that doesnt work I will try an older version of DirectX.

I don't remember where my copy of DX9.0c is from originally, but it is not the one that came with Civ4 and I hit the problem. I have run into this in BiA and BF2, but they were resolved with a change to my Audigy 2 ZS drivers. At least I haven't run into it since then with those games.

godochaos
Oct 29, 2005, 12:01 PM
I no longer get blank screen and lost monitor signal

Per advice in another thread i went into the advanced setting for the video card and UNDER clocked it 25% or so. I played for 2 hours straight after that.

PS my card worked fine prior to this and it is NOT overclocked

阿里巴巴
Oct 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
I agree with you. My computer locks up with huge map everytime but works fine with standard map.
For some people, this problem could be caused by a memory leak. Others are describing similar problems on other threads and I am also experiencing this problem as well. When your game locks up, check the HD light, if its lit solid, then Civ 4 is extensively using virtual memory which is what causes the system slowdown. Eventually the leak will cause all available memory to run out and the program crashes. I also found a direct correlation between map size and how soon the program freezes; larger maps appear to cause the freeze sooner. I found an optimal map size that seems to be stable, played for several hours and not one freeze. In the mean time, we have to wait for Firaxis to acknowledge the memory leak, then find it, and then to fix it.

If you do not see any hard drive activity while the program is slowing down, or you experience this on even small maps, its probably not caused by a memory leak.

Hope this sheds some light.

Don

Shadowlord
Oct 29, 2005, 12:24 PM
The FEAR demo also comes with a not-yet-publicly-released version of DirectX 9.0c - it uses d3dx9_25.dll, whereas Civ IV uses d3dx9_26.dll. I think perhaps the problem is in DirectX itself, and maybe there's a reason MS hasn't released these as 9.0d (or whatever) yet. :P

On the plus side, maybe Civ IV actually will work for me - I didn't have any problems running the FEAR demo, other than a mediocre framerate on minimum settings. (Which is ridiculous. NOLF2 runs as smooth as silk on maximum settings, and looks better than FEAR IMHO...)

Edit: To get the latest version of DX, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/ - Use the "DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers" link. Maybe that's newer than the one on the Civ IV CD? Or maybe not. (I haven't gotten Civ IV yet myself)

riksb
Oct 29, 2005, 03:42 PM
have been having similar probs with the game. It starts okay. But into a SP game.

sometimes intermittently the screen freezes, or the graphics just goes bezerk.
I have not had it automatically reboot on me though.

It seems to freeze alot in the diplomacy window, when another leader wants something. But that isnt the only time it freezes or crashes.

i have an p4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 card wt 5.10 latest drivers.

Anyone have similar happen?

Man I havent seen a game behave this poorly right out of the box in years!:sad:

nho3
Oct 29, 2005, 04:25 PM

Ok I tried DirectX Eradicator but its not compatible with Winxp SP2 so I used a different program. The program I used uses commands in winxp safe mode to manually replace all the Dx files with the original Dx files that are on the SP2 CD or from the I386 folder for the SP2 installation files. The program can be found here: http://www.3dcht4u.de/3dc/kfd53t5fes8z/directx-dx9uninstaller.zip
The thing is with SP2 is Dx a core component in the system so you can't uninstall it or at least MS doesnt want you to. The only way to change your directx without installing a newer version is to restore the files from the SP2 install files. I have done this and so far I can play the game for a few hours before crashing. Now the game simply closes when it crashes instead of doing freaky stuff to my computer.

Another thing to be aware of is the ThemeParseLog.txt file is not the main error log file for the game. The error that it is reporting is not making the game crash. If I delete that file and launch the game it will be created instantly with the same errors about "Civ4Theme_Custom.thm" and the game loads just fine. The actual log files are located in "C:\My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\Logs"
If the game is crashing before it finishes loading then you may want to look in the file int.log. That files shows what is being loaded when u run the game.

The following is what it looks like if the game has loaded successfuly.

[7981.359] DBG: FILE Cat Init
[7981.515] DBG: Using XML cache
[7981.515] DBG: Game Init
[7981.515] DBG: Multiplayer Init
[7981.937] DBG: Audio Init
[7982.796] DBG: ArtFileMgr Init
[7982.796] DBG: Python Init
[7984.984] VERSION: CIV Version: 0
[7984.984] VERSION: Save Version: 100
[7984.984] DBG: Input Init
[7984.984] DBG: Engine Init
[7986.406] DBG: Engine: Axis Engine Initialized
[7986.406] DBG: Engine: Scene Graph Initialized
[7986.437] DBG: Engine: Shaders Initialized
[7986.609] DBG: Engine: Scene Lights Initialized
[7986.625] DBG: Music Start
[7986.625] DBG: Font Init
[7986.671] DBG: Total Frame MS: 5693.0 FPS: 000 Min:000 Max:000 Avg:000 SampleFilter:10.000000
Time : Ave : Min% : Max% : Num : Profile Name
-----------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
[7986.687] DBG: Begin MenuManager
[8002.468] DBG: Engine: Camera Initialized
[8036.578] DBG: SyncRandSeed is 7993982, MapRandSeed is 7993982

After reading through all the log files I do not see any errors that are the cause of my game crashing. Although I am sure it doesnt get a chance to create the error since the excutable instalty stops running. Windows Event manager shows an error at the times that the game crashes but it cant identify the error.

It sure is annoying that the game crashes after a few hours but thanks to Autosave and the fact that I don't have to reboot my computer to play the game again makes it tolerable. This game is awesome and I am sure they will release a patch to fix this crap sooner or later.

vyshka
Oct 29, 2005, 07:05 PM
The FEAR demo also comes with a not-yet-publicly-released version of DirectX 9.0c - it uses d3dx9_25.dll, whereas Civ IV uses d3dx9_26.dll. I think perhaps the problem is in DirectX itself, and maybe there's a reason MS hasn't released these as 9.0d (or whatever) yet. :P

On the plus side, maybe Civ IV actually will work for me - I didn't have any problems running the FEAR demo, other than a mediocre framerate on minimum settings. (Which is ridiculous. NOLF2 runs as smooth as silk on maximum settings, and looks better than FEAR IMHO...)

Edit: To get the latest version of DX, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/ - Use the "DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers" link. Maybe that's newer than the one on the Civ IV CD? Or maybe not. (I haven't gotten Civ IV yet myself)

I have tried it. It installs a d3dx9_27.dll. I still get the problem. I have turned off hardware acceleration for DirectSound and that didnt help. I have tried various versions of the nvidia drivers from 71.89 - 81.87.

Crimson Shadow
Nov 02, 2005, 02:37 PM
bump

Well? Is there any other solution besides downclocking to avoid screen corruption, reset or monitor going into stand-by (power saving) mode with 6800GT?

Have anyone tried turning AGP off? (If you have AGP card.)

I just checked Civ 4 cache and found in it crc.dat file. Hmm? Can that be some sort of a sigh that something is wrong with the game?

archer75
Nov 02, 2005, 03:32 PM
I have a 6800GT. No problems whatsoever.

Crimson Shadow
Nov 02, 2005, 05:41 PM
Well at least someone who can play the game with 6800GT. Can you check your cache Civ 4 directory [C:\Documents and Settings\User_Profile\Application Data\My Games\Civ 4\cache] if you have crc.dat file in it?

Crimson Shadow
Nov 03, 2005, 12:42 PM
Can any 6800GT/Ultra user confirm that Civ 4 is working properly with GFX settings on high?

I read somewhere here, that setting graphics detail on medium will solve all problems with screen corruption, reboots and so on with 6800GT. So I ask again, is this true?

P.S. Sorry for a "double" posting, but a bump is necessary. ;)

Aegis
Nov 03, 2005, 12:54 PM
The only thing that might have went wrong is that disk 1 ended up being the play disk and not disk 2.

I also thought this was rather strange. This is not the first time that a Firaxis Play Disc did not work for me, though. Civ III Complete's Play Disc did not work, however the Install Disc let me play. :crazyeye:

Is everyone's discs backwards, or is it just a select few?

I am also experiencing the Monitor-shut-off phenomenon during the course of a normal game. It worked perfectly well during the Tutorial mode, though. I will turn off the auto-save function tonight, re-install a true DirectX9.0 and then try again. I have a Radeon 9200 video adapter, btw.

bluegnu
Nov 03, 2005, 06:00 PM
Same problem. Nvidia 6800GT. 5 - 10 mins in the screen corrupts and the monitor goes blank. Hard boot required to get the system up again. This is really poor show to release a game as buggy as this...there must be thousands of people who are experiencing graphic-related problems if the boards I've visited are anything to go by. Still, publishers must get their game in the shops in good time for Christmas - no matter how unplayable it is. Tsk.

Synister
Nov 04, 2005, 04:23 AM
Experienced same problems with my German copy of CivIV. :sad:, but in 2 different ways

1) Monitor turns into standby-mode, computer continues working, but with obviously no effect, reset doesn't help - i have to turn power off/on.

2) Monitor exactly looked like the one on page 1 of this thread, same procedure as in 1) necessary.

My System: Athlon XP 2800+, 1 GB Ram (tested both of it with Memtest - no errors, then single in game - crashes with both), GeForce 6800GT, SB Live 5.1, MSI KT3-Mainboard with VIA-Chipset.

NOW the strange thing: Not only Civ does that, but WoW (since the release of Patch 1.8.0), AND (as i experienced yesterday) HL2! I was frustrated and turned to Madden (won the SuperBowl BTW :D) - no crash in hours.

What do WoW, Civ IV and HL2 have in common, what Madden does not have?
Some kind of graphics-routine?! Could there be a problem with my GPU?!

BTW, i tried drivers 78.01, 81.87 beta, 81.85, and 66.93 - same problem on all of them.

Comments or Help would be very appreciated

Greetings from Germany,

Synister

Aegis
Nov 04, 2005, 07:33 AM
Ok, I have turned off Auto-Save, uninstalled DirectX9c, reinstalled DirectX9B (from my Civ III Conquests disc), and installed Catalyst 4.12, and now the game works just fine.

Now the only problem is that while attempting to type this message last night on the forum, my monitor went into standby. :(

Crimson Shadow
Nov 04, 2005, 09:30 AM
This can be important for users who experiences screen corruption or monitor going into stand-by mode (maybe even for users with reboot problem) AND FOR FIRAXIS (sorry for caps).

Disclamer: This is valid for CRT monitors. It probably does not apply to LCD monitors as they are working differently.

I just found in PythonDbg.log the following

XX SCREEN TURNED ON

SCREEN OFF

XX being random number between 1 - 99

The last screen corruption happened only 1 hour ago. The most strange is the fact, that I was able to ALT-TAB into (monitor) Stand-by mode instead to WinXP desktop. The music and SFX worked correctly and there was no indication of any error (either WinXP or the game itself).

Either is there something really strange with Firaxis way of writting into screenbuffer or is this function in some way interfering with monitor refresh frequency and causes monitor to go into strand-by mode because its screenbuffer refresh goes beyond monitor capabilities. And as CRT cannot do it and to prevent any damages to itself it goes into stand-by mode.

If the latter is the case than that is really shoddy programming on Firaxis part. If you have resolution on your CRT on the very edge of monitor capabilities than reduce resolution by one notch and to be safe even frequency of refresh.

That is of course assumption on my part and is based on my own fact, that I have been able to play the game for almost 3 hours without problems on lower resolution (1024x768@100Hz to be exact). Than when I had changed resolution from 1024x768@100Hz to 1152x864@100Hz there comes the problem. On higher resolution (1152x864@100Hz) I cannot play the game for more than 20 minutes as I get a screen corruption.

As I don't have so much time to test it, Try it for yourself.

I hope that some Firaxis's members read this board and hopefully even this topic.

Noey
Nov 04, 2005, 11:38 AM
Hello everyone,

I had the problem that my monitor switched into stand-by modus after a few minutes. This problem occured in all new 3d-games a tried (star wars: the lord of the sith, farcry and civ4).

For weeks I searched the internet and tried several drivers etc. I guess it is something about directx and crt-monitors.

The solution for now is, as godochaos mentioned earlier, to go into the menu of you graphic card and underclock it. I have a nvidia 6800LE with a normal clock speed of 300Mhz. I had to set it to 100Mhz. After I had done this I could play all games without problems!!!

This solution can only be temporary and I hope that the microsoft developers and the game devs can fix it soon.

Hope this helps some of you, I couldn't stand it, the new civ version and not being abled to play, so enjoy!

Emperorz
Nov 04, 2005, 05:47 PM
I have similar problems. Computer locks down in 5 mins of playing of Civ 4, no grapichal errors though. The same happens also in Wow and Railroad Tycoon 3, but i changed them to windowed mode and random locking dissapered since. But this dont work in Civ 4 :(. I Tried the Windowed mode and still locking up.

Whats funny is that Wow didn't have lockups a few moths ago. I thought that it came with a bad patch. I made no hardware changes and didn't change my drivers. For some weird reason games have started freezing ever since. I've checked for viruses and Adware - Nothing. Im thinking of formating my HD and reinstalling XP. But only when i go desperate enough :sad:. I'd rather wait for a patch.

P4 3,0 Ghz
Geforce 6600GT AGP 125 RAM
512 RAM 400 Hz
INTEL 865 MoBo
Tried the latest Nvidia drivers - Locks up.

bluegnu
Nov 04, 2005, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I had the problem that my monitor switched into stand-by modus after a few minutes. This problem occured in all new 3d-games a tried (star wars: the lord of the sith, farcry and civ4).

For weeks I searched the internet and tried several drivers etc. I guess it is something about directx and crt-monitors.

The solution for now is, as godochaos mentioned earlier, to go into the menu of you graphic card and underclock it. I have a nvidia 6800LE with a normal clock speed of 300Mhz. I had to set it to 100Mhz. After I had done this I could play all games without problems!!!

This solution can only be temporary and I hope that the microsoft developers and the game devs can fix it soon.

Hope this helps some of you, I couldn't stand it, the new civ version and not being abled to play, so enjoy!

Spent quite a few fruitless hours trying to find a solution with the checkerboard/hard reboot problem and Geforce 6800 GT. No luck but can confirm that it's nothing to do with monitor technology (same problem with LCD) and that undeclocking hasn't helped either.

It would appear that there is no fix for the issue with this card, as I have yet to see one. Let's just hope that Firaxis are aware and having included a fix in the patch.

It might be a more general problem with the latest DX release and the card judging from some of the posts in this thread.

Aegis
Nov 04, 2005, 09:58 PM
Well, after having installed Catalyst 5.10 for my ATI Radeon 9200, the game still crashes however the VPU Recovery function of the Catalyst control panel has saved my ass and let me jump back into the game by turning my video card back on.

Jorgen_CAB
Nov 05, 2005, 04:24 AM
I have had these problems with crashing to desktop for more than a week now. I have reinstalled my computer twise, tried all kinds of different solutions.

I own an AMD 3200+ CPU, Asus GeForce 6800 GPU and 2048GB RAM and a Realtek AC97 soundcard.

I do get the best performence when I have all tha latest drivers for my system, accept for the graphics card whitch works best with 78.01, the latest from ASUS anyway.

What solved my problem was to reduce my AGP settings on the motherboard BIOS to 4x. No crashes after that, althogh I get a slight reduction in the graphics but only very minor. Even the intro movie works fine, the glitch so far is the sound in the wonder movies that stutter, but that I can live with until a patch.

Vorbis
Nov 05, 2005, 06:25 AM
I have 2 x 6600GT Sli (driver version 81.85) and have been having the same problem with freeze/lockups about 5 mins into the game. Apart from this I've had no other graphical problems.

Just before mine freezes completely I briefly see a dialogue box that mentions nv4_disp.dll. Unfortunately it's only visible for a split second so It's impossible to see the complete message.

I've spent a few hours googling around and it seems that this problem is affecting many games. The general consensus seems to be that there's a problem between nvidia card drivers and directx. My own problems began when I installed the directx 9.0c with Civ4.

I've tried re-installing directx from another source and will see if this makes any differance. I will post later if I have any success.

Vorbis
Nov 05, 2005, 04:05 PM
I've tried re-installing directx from another source and will see if this makes any differance. I will post later if I have any success.

Just played for about 4 hours and so far all is ok.

Crimson Shadow
Nov 07, 2005, 08:58 AM
There must be something wrong between latest retail DX9 and Civ 4. I have downloaded october MS DirectX 9.0 SDK and changed undert Control Panel using debug DX drivers and to my suprise game works for almost 3 hours without problems.

With final retail DX9 drivers game does not work correctly. At least on my machine regardless of screen resolution. In 5 -10 mnuts I get corrupted screen or monitor going into stand-by mode.

garathkane
Nov 08, 2005, 10:07 AM
My GFX is Winfast A400GT-TDH (6800GT) (350 core /1000 mem). I have exact the same error message. The only difference is this screen.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4559/civ4corrsm7ox.jpg

Unless it resets automatically I must do it manually (hard reset or turn off).

Tried with two latest official WHQL drivers (78.01 and 81.85). With and without FSAA and AF.

The strangest thing is that only Civ 4 produces this (And FEAR demo did that 2 times). Other games work flawlessly.

Well, I will try if turning autosaves off can help. But this is some serious issue if I get a screen like that.

I have the exact same problem..

AMD64 3500+
Abit AN8 mobo
BFG 6800GT

I originally experienced it on an early beta for F.E.A.R. I thought it was an overheating issue (I was able to play uninterrupted by duct taping a vantec tornado case fan pointing directly on the video card) and went through a lengthy tech support session with BFG and almost returned the card. However, the lockups disappeared after I reformatted my system. Then lockups came back after the F.E.A.R. demo came out.. I didn't play much FEAR from there until it happened again on Civ4.

I've heard reports that it can be resolved in F.E.A.R. by disabling volumetric lighting. Doing so DID allow me to play for a couple hours uninterrupted though I haven't tested that thoroughly enough to say its a resolution. Civ4 locks up much more frequently than FEAR though.. I managed to get a couple hours playtime by turning all graphics to low but it still eventually locked up.

I'll try the Oct DirectX SDK as you did Crimson. Perhaps that will help.

Crimson Shadow
Nov 08, 2005, 10:35 AM
Update on that Oct DirectX SDK update.

Yesterday I got for some unknown reason screen corruption even with SDK drivers. I was able to play the game for almost an hour. The only difference was that I were able to see the Civ 4 screen with "dashboad screen" over it.

Today I had no problems with 2 and half hour session.

Annnndre
Aug 08, 2007, 10:08 AM
Hi guys,

first of all: Sorry for my bad english. I'm no native speaker ;-)

I've got the same Screen like "Crimson Shadow"

I know that this thread is almost 2 years old but I've got this problem...

My System:(complete without overclocking)

C2D E6600 2x 2,4GHz
8800 GTX 768MB RAM
2GB RAM
BeQuiet!(500W) (enough Power on 12V)

Now i do not know how to solve this problem.

I'm using Civ inclusice all AddOns (Warlords and BtS)
I got this problem already with Warlords on my new system and bought the addon.
I thought that the addon maybe fixes this Problem, but it doesn't...

Is there now a proper solution for this problem?

I allready reduced my Windows Resolution from 1280*1024@85 Hz to 1024*768@85Hz, disabled the Screensaver and other energy-settings but it doesn't help.

Please help me, I don't want to play this game on my old machine...(P III, 500 MHz....)

Regards

Annnndre

DonCorreia
Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
I am having a similar problem, along with others.
After playing for some time, the game gets very slow, like
processing something and then goes back normal again for some
seconds.
After this start, soon the sprites disappear and only the map tiles
is visible on the screen. Then goes back normal again.
The last step of this proccess is the monitor switching to stand-by mode,
and the only solution is hard boot.

My system specs:
P4 Dual-Core, 2.8Ghz
512MB RAM, 160GB HD
GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x - 128 MB