View Full Version : Crashing to desktop?

ThanatosXXX
Oct 27, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, I don't see anyone mentioning my specific problem however it could be the same thing as the poor people who're rebooting periodically.

When I'm playing from time to time I just get ditched to the desktop. No error message and really no pause, just bang and I'm back at the desktop.

I can then restart and load the latest autosave and go on about my business, but it's becoming a serious pain.

I see in the Event Viewer under Application an error with this message which means nothing to me whenever I crash:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

From what I can figure out this sort of message should only come when I'm trying to check the event viewer on a remote machine. Anyone have any ideas there?

I also turned on logging in the ini file to see if any errors showed up. All I'm seeing that looks out of place there is in network-timestamp.txt (there are many, timestamp is in the form of XXX_MM-DD-YYYY_HH_MM-XX.txt where I don't know what the XX are):
[312575.281] DBG: Resetting the portal! (m_bConnectComplete=false)
[312591.563] DBG: Resetting the portal! (m_bConnectComplete=false)
[312591.813] WRN: Disconnecting from entire Peer Network!

Again, this looks like something trying to work remotely. I haven't even hit the Multiplayer button in the game yet so I don't know what it would be trying to do.

My specs are:
Athlon64 3500+
1gig RAM
Geforce 6800GT
Nforce 4 based MB using onboard sound.
Hardware Firewall
AVG Virus scanner.
WinXP Pro, SP1

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention that it happens pretty randomly. Once during world creation, the rest of the times during the game any time from turn 1 to turn 45 (I gave up after 45).

BBallref
Oct 28, 2005, 01:06 AM
I have the same thing happen. It usually occures for me when I look at an area of the map controlled by an opponent that borders undiscovered area for me. I am stumped as to what to do and it is very annoying having to reload and revert to the autosave.

Intel P4 2.4Ghz
XP Pro SP 2
1 gig ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb driver 8.1.8.5
SB Live wdm

Traxis
Oct 28, 2005, 01:28 AM
Same thing happens to me periodically. I have a system similar to yours:

Athlon 64 3200+
1024 MB RAM
GeForce 6800GT
Onboard sound (AC97)
WinXP Home, SP2

Edit: I should also mention that sometimes while playing my computer reboots itself, (this has only happened once or twice, though). Also, sometimes when the game autosaves, (usually the initial 4000BC autosave) the game freezes and I have to reboot.

Bal Ur
Oct 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
Same thing happens to me. Perhaps its a Nvidia problem? Is this happening to anyone with ATI cards?

Intel P4 2.2Ghz
1 GB RAM
GeFroce 5500

oxonian2001
Oct 28, 2005, 09:30 AM
I've got the identical issue: periodic CTDs and reboots that I cannot reliably reproduce.

AMD Althon XP 3000+
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE 256 MB (81.85 driver)
Abit NF7-S mobo w/ AC97 sound
Windows XP Home SP2

nindustrial
Oct 28, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, I'm getting the same problem, and I have a Radeon 9600 Pro, and I've read others having this problem with ATI cards as well.

Asterix909
Oct 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
Same problem.
It seems we all share nvidia graphic cards...

winxp home
p4 2.8 HT
1gig RAM
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

Stevenpfo
Oct 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
I've gotten the CTD twice and I have an ATI card.

CrossTheRiver
Oct 28, 2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah i have the crash to desktop problem too.

Damn i was hoping my new geforce card wouldnt have this problem. Maybe it is a software issue and not a video card issue?

TheNino85
Oct 28, 2005, 12:50 PM
I've yet to have the computer actually reboot on me, but I have had the game just crash to desktop on me. No fanfare, no pause, no popup, nothing, it's really creepy. One microsecond I'm watching my Worker move, the next microsecond I'm staring at my desktop. And there isn't even a Civ 4 tab in the Start bar. Like I wasn't even playing. Maybe it's a quantum mechanical phenomena that Sid managed to throw us into, I dunno.

D. Minky
Oct 28, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'm getting quite a few CTDs as well. I'm using a 128 meg ATI Radeon x300.

sgtcasey
Oct 28, 2005, 01:14 PM
Is everyone using the most up-to-date graphics drivers for their particular brand of cards?

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

Make sure to use DriverCleaner anytime you update your graphics drivers.

Dave

oxonian2001
Oct 28, 2005, 01:20 PM
I've yet to have the computer actually reboot on me, but I have had the game just crash to desktop on me. No fanfare, no pause, no popup, nothing, it's really creepy. One microsecond I'm watching my Worker move, the next microsecond I'm staring at my desktop. And there isn't even a Civ 4 tab in the Start bar. Like I wasn't even playing. Maybe it's a quantum mechanical phenomena that Sid managed to throw us into, I dunno. This is an excellent description of the problem I had before I updated my video driver.

After updating to 81.85, the problem was solved: instead of always crashing to the desktop, about half the time the computer would simply reboot. I prefer variety in my technical problems. :)

And yes, I carefully uninstalled my old video driver before installing the new version.

sgtcasey
Oct 28, 2005, 01:27 PM
This is an excellent description of the problem I had before I updated my video driver.

After updating to 81.85, the problem was solved: instead of always crashing to the desktop, about half the time the computer would simply reboot. I prefer variety in my technical problems. :)

And yes, I carefully uninstalled my old video driver before installing the new version.

Your PC rebooting could be an indication of other issues. Heat would be the first thing I would check for. When is the last time you opened up your PC and cleaned out the dust and made sure all the fans were working?

Try turning off the automatic reboot and see if you get any blue screen stop code errors.

Right click My Computer (or whatever you renamed it to)
Click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery click the Settings button
Under System failure you will see an option called Automatically restart, uncheck it and click OK until you're back at the desktop

Dave

oxonian2001
Oct 28, 2005, 01:43 PM
@sgtcasey: You're obviously familiar with my housekeeping skills. :lol: I'll be sure to check that when I get home. Thanks in advance.

Penitent
Oct 28, 2005, 01:46 PM
I experience this problem too, it seems to happen randomly. My computer is a few months old and uses radeon x300, it plays the game fine until the CTD.

sgtcasey
Oct 28, 2005, 01:51 PM
I experience this problem too, it seems to happen randomly. My computer is a few months old and uses radeon x300, it plays the game fine until the CTD.

Check all of your drivers and make sure they are updated. This includes audio, chipset, graphics, etc. Something else to check is your BIOS version. Make sure you have the latest, but make sure to read any instructions on flashing your BIOS since doing it wrong can render your motherboard unusable.

Also, make sure you have all the critical updates from Windows Update.

Dave

CSS
Oct 28, 2005, 01:52 PM
Happens here too. Every 2-4 hour the program just quits and you sit there like a fool and wonder what happened. Often you don't have to do anything to make it happen but sometimes pressing the globe button gets this result. I always save the game before looking at the globe.

Palance
Oct 28, 2005, 03:02 PM
I have the same CTD problem but I *may* have found a solution (for my machine). I disabled FAST WRITE in my video card settings. I will post again if the problem reappears. Like a poster above mentioned, it's hard to duplicate the bug although I found it happened most while panning around the map and zooming in & out.

I also have the hard reboot bug. For me it seems to always happen during diplomacy with other leaders.

Direct X, Video Drivers and BIOS are all up to date.

WinXP SP2
Pentium 4 2.6 GHz (not overclocked)
1 gig RAM
Radeon 9600
SoundMAX Integrated Sound
Logitech MX 3100 Cordless Keyboard/Mouse
No dustbunnies & no problems with other games.

Willem de III
Oct 28, 2005, 03:11 PM
At least you guys crash to your desktops :lol::( I crash to none or better said computers starts up again in the game:mad:

CrossTheRiver
Oct 28, 2005, 03:47 PM
didn't work for me (9550 POS radeon 256)

I'm sure this is a directX or video drive error, where the video drivers just aren't made for civ and ATI or Nvdia need to make a new set, and/or directX is finicky. Either way it sucks and i hope there is a fix soon.

I have the same CTD problem but I *may* have found a solution (for my machine). I disabled FAST WRITE in my video card settings. I will post again if the problem reappears. Like a poster above mentioned, it's hard to duplicate the bug although I found it happened most while panning around the map and zooming in & out.

I also have the hard reboot bug. For me it seems to always happen during diplomacy with other leaders.

Direct X, Video Drivers and BIOS are all up to date.

WinXP SP2
Pentium 4 2.6 GHz (not overclocked)
1 gig RAM
Radeon 9600
SoundMAX Integrated Sound
Logitech MX 3100 Cordless Keyboard/Mouse
No dustbunnies & no problems with other games.

sgtcasey
Oct 28, 2005, 03:53 PM
didn't work for me (9550 POS radeon 256)

I'm sure this is a directX or video drive error, where the video drivers just aren't made for civ and ATI or Nvdia need to make a new set, and/or directX is finicky. Either way it sucks and i hope there is a fix soon.

If that were the case then a lot more folks would be having the problem. I have been able to play many hours of Civ4 without a single hitch.

My system:

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel P4 3.0GHz w/HT
1.5GB PC3200 RAM
120GB hard drive space in two drives
ATI X800XT PCI-e w/256MB
Windows XP Home w/SP2

Dave

CrossTheRiver
Oct 28, 2005, 04:02 PM
So you're guessing that because you ar enot having any problems, therefore most people aren't having any problems (in strict relation to my assumption of the problem) And if that is the case I might say you are remakrably short sighted.

If you didn't notice, i haven't seen someone post this problem with that type of card, and oh by the way, drivers can most deffinantly be card specific, meaning simply, 5.10 on yours is different than 5.10 on mine. Know why? because the card hardware and software is different not to mention a host of other inconsistancies. So before you go dismissing me like a five year old at the big person table, lets consider all the factors.

sgtcasey
Oct 28, 2005, 04:08 PM
So you're guessing that because you ar enot having any problems, therefore most people aren't having any problems (in strict relation to my assumption of the problem) And if that is the case I might say you are remakrably short sighted.

Not assuming at all... I'm saying that if this problem was driver or DirectX related then there would be a lot more folks with the same problem.

If you didn't notice, i haven't seen someone post this problem with that type of card, and oh by the way, drivers can most deffinantly be card specific, meaning simply, 5.10 on yours is different than 5.10 on mine. Know why? because the card hardware and software is different not to mention a host of other inconsistancies. So before you go dismissing me like a five year old at the big person table, lets consider all the factors.

I download the same drivers you do for your ATI card. ;) Unless you mean the differences in the OS versions? I do know ATI offers up different versions of drivers depending on what OS you have. But if you have a Radeon, the drivers are the same.

But at any rate, my intention wasn't to flame. Since you appear to have taken my post as such then good luck getting the game to work!

I'll be over here playing Civ4. Enjoy! :goodjob:

Dave

godochaos
Oct 28, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks dave we appreciate your help!
Let me explain something.
ONLY 3 things have changed on my system in the last 2 days that have cause my system to be unable to play ANY games with heavy 3D graphics.

1). Civ 4 install
2) Directx install off of civ4 cd
3). Nvidia 81.85 drivers

logically 1 of 3 or some combination of the 3 is the culprit.

oxonian2001
Oct 28, 2005, 05:20 PM
OK, OK, let's calm down.

Dave has very kindly tried to offer helpful advice in other threads. His original post was undoubtedly meant simply as respectful disagreement with CrossTheRiver's theory. It was, however, sufficiently terse that a frustrated person might assume it was meant unkindly.

No one means to be dismissive or condescending; we're all just frustrated and don't know how to fix these problems. Let's just try to work together to figure this out.

launchpad
Oct 28, 2005, 06:41 PM
I am also having the CTD problem. (9600 w/ 256 and latest drivers). I set the update speed on the task manager to low so that after a crash I could see what had been happening to the memory. I noticed a consistant increase in page file usage. I also looked through the log files and saw a lot of "missing node" and "failed to load script" errors. Don't know what exactly that means... Could be a memory leak... If that is the case, could take a while for the developers to track it down and make a patch. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

troodon
Oct 28, 2005, 07:15 PM
My computer keeps crashing to desktop as well. It always happens on the loading screen when I'm trying to start a game, when the screen says "loading graphics".

My computer meets all the requirements pretty readily, and I have a Radeon 9600. I did at first have the not initializing problem. I used the fix for that only to get this new problem

CrossTheRiver
Oct 28, 2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe I was wrong, this is begining to look more and more like a software issue. No idea precisely what that could be, but memory leak seems to be the best theory as of right now.

Tricksrus
Oct 28, 2005, 07:40 PM
Just had my first crash to desktop....4 hours into an epic game, and all of a sudden, crash. Of course, I am running at highest graphics setting, going to try reducing it to normal to make sure it doesn't happen again. Huge fan of newest drivers....(I burn alot of stuff with my Plextor drive.) Very, very uncommon for me to get CTD's.

2.0mhz P4
786mb ddr
Nvidia FX5500 (286mb)

Penitent
Oct 28, 2005, 09:26 PM
Huzzah! :goodjob:

I tried everything that was suggested with no success. But I created a new account for windows and it seems, so far at least, to be running fine on it. If only I did this several hours ago...

CrossTheRiver
Oct 28, 2005, 11:49 PM
BUMP

this is a serious issue which plauges me.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BBallref
Oct 29, 2005, 02:37 AM
I rolled back my drivers from 81.85 and I was able to play for 3 hrs before it crashed, versus about 15 min before. I might try the new account for windows and see if I have any luck.

Nomble
Oct 29, 2005, 04:43 AM
Getting CTD, but not as often as when the entire computer freezes and I have to reboot!

Getting very annoying when the entire thing just locks up, way worse then CTDs.

Intel P4 3.0Ghz
ATi Radeon x600 256mb
1gb RAM

nicae
Oct 29, 2005, 08:21 AM
game worked fine for past hours without crashing to desktop.
solution: changed to windowed mode

p4 2.66 ghz
512 ddr ram 266 mhz
radeon 9600 256mb, catalyst 5.10
winxp no service packs o.0

Kopernikus1979
Oct 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
Same problem...crashing to desktop without any warning if I zoom out to global view.

2.0 Centrino
ATI X700 (256 MB) with newest drivers
1 GB RAM

Liggs
Oct 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
How do you run it in Windowed mode? I tried Alt-Enter and that didn't work.

I get the same problem as you guys, just random CTDs, I rolled back my drivers and that made the crashes slightly less frequent but instead of CTDs it was a complete reboot of the system. I am not sure what the problem is here but apparently it's software not hardware. My system is:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1gb DDR RAM
GeForce 6600GT

godochaos
Oct 29, 2005, 10:58 AM
If you are getting screen goes blank and lost monitor signal then lower the clocking on your graphics card.
worked for me.

PS graphics card was NOT overclocked and worked just fine prior

mocker
Oct 29, 2005, 11:55 AM
I was having this problem too, it seemed to get more frequent the further I made it in the game but I was willing to quicksave and keep on trucking.

But now after the last crash the game wont load at all. I get to the main menu and select my game and it crashes at loading. I've even had one where I crash just sitting at the menu.

Penitent
Oct 29, 2005, 12:45 PM
Has anybody tried new user account and still experiencing problems? I'm hoping that will help a lot of people.

Asterix909
Oct 29, 2005, 04:10 PM
i will try running the game on a new account tonight, and ill update ya'll on it

Belboz
Oct 29, 2005, 06:35 PM
Have 32 MB Ge Force 5200 Go. Crashed to desktop almost every time I built a world wonder. Updating video drivers seemed to help. Got through my first game with no other problems.

Neil81
Oct 29, 2005, 08:08 PM
I've started to have a bunch of CTDs now. Previously I was getting the wonderful black monitor/reboot issue but now it seems to have transformed into the CTD problem. I have that same error in the event log when this happens...

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

(Doom 3, Far Cry, BF2, Thief 3, HL2 all work flawlessly)

3Ghz P4
1 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (Just updated drivers as of today, no help)
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Asus P4C800-E motherboard
XP Pro w/ SP2