View Full Version : machine freezes upon game loading with nVidia card

lordex
Oct 28, 2005, 12:40 PM
Forget about rolling dices for my next CIV combat, it appears to me that there is only 5.0 vs. 5.0 odds for me to actually get into the game to begin with.

The symptom: there is an almost 50/50 chance that after a game is loaded - whether it's right after CIV is just started, or a reload during a game - my machine would completely freeze up. It always happens a couple of seconds after the progress window shows "Done", and before the main 3D game screen is switched on.

My specs: P4 3.2 GHz, ASUS P4S800D-Deluxe motherboard, 2G PC3200 RAM in 2 pairs of dual channel sticks, XFX 6800GT with 81.85 driver. I have also tried to turn fastwrites off with Rivatuner, but it didn't seem to help.

Sylvus
Oct 28, 2005, 01:42 PM
I had the same problem and calling tech support just gave the the generic, "Remove all your programs from startup and then uninstall and reinstall"

I did two things: I am not sure which of the two worked.

1) Updated my SB Audigy driver to the new beta one
2) Put my play disk into my DVD drive rather than the CD drive I originally installed the game with (I have a CD-RW and a DVD drive)

It looks like it isn't dependant on the original installed drive if you have two of them you can put the play disk in either and the game works.

I only had this hangup when I LOADED a save game however. If I started a new one everything was fine, but whenever I loaded a save it would load up and then simply hang.

Forget about rolling dices for my next CIV combat, it appears to me that there is only 5.0 vs. 5.0 odds for me to actually get into the game to begin with.

The symptom: there is an almost 50/50 chance that after a game is loaded - whether it's right after CIV is just started, or a reload during a game - my machine would completely freeze up. It always happens a couple of seconds after the progress window shows "Done", and before the main 3D game screen is switched on.

My specs: P4 3.2 GHz, ASUS P4S800D-Deluxe motherboard, 2G PC3200 RAM in 2 pairs of dual channel sticks, XFX 6800GT with 81.85 driver. I have also tried to turn fastwrites off with Rivatuner, but it didn't seem to help.

lordex
Oct 28, 2005, 04:10 PM
I had the same problem and calling tech support just gave the the generic, "Remove all your programs from startup and then uninstall and reinstall"

LOL, why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

I did two things: I am not sure which of the two worked.

1) Updated my SB Audigy driver to the new beta one

Mine is an older SB live! which I believe I've got the latest driver. Will give it another try once I got home.

2) Put my play disk into my DVD drive rather than the CD drive I originally installed the game with (I have a CD-RW and a DVD drive)

It looks like it isn't dependant on the original installed drive if you have two of them you can put the play disk in either and the game works.

I have a CD-RW and a DVD, too, and tried exactly the same thing as you did.

I only had this hangup when I LOADED a save game however. If I started a new one everything was fine, but whenever I loaded a save it would load up and then simply hang.

Again, same. It always happens when a previously saved game is loaded, either loaded after entering CIV, or in the middle of the game.

Seems I'm not the only one. Anybody else?

rbonneau
Oct 28, 2005, 06:09 PM
Same problem here - I've got a 6600GT with the 81.85 drivers. I'll try updating my Audigy drivers, try putting the play disk in my DVD drive & see what happens.

cosinus
Oct 28, 2005, 09:58 PM
i have a radeon 9200 pro and the same problem. game hangs on 100% loading ... but only sometimes. okay, most times i try. sometimes not.

dunno
Oct 28, 2005, 10:18 PM
I have a similar problem. I have two monitors, and I tried playing with both or one of them totally disabled, and the problem still persists. I also have the latest release nVidia drivers (I have a 6600GT).

My symptoms are as follows:
1. Crashes to desktop.
2. Machine locks up.
3. The monitor is disabled.

For problem 1, if I encounter this problem, I can still load the game. But as soon as I try to enter an actual session, I would crash right back upon finishing loading the save/new game.

For problem 3, If I have my second monitor enabled, then I can get back to the desktop. All I need to do is reset my resolution settings. Although, I've had once where my nVidia display settings program crash on me. If I only have one monitor enabled, then I'm out of luck and I have to reboot (since I can't see a thing).

bosiydid
Oct 28, 2005, 10:29 PM
It seems that noone is paying any sort of attention to the NVidia users. At least they have something to offer the ATI people with the patch/workaround. My game at random times will kick me out to the desktop. Also at times it just sits there for like 45 seconds and the cities etc. dissapear. I keep reading scattered rumors of a patch sometime tonight. Is that a rumor or is there really going to be one tonight. Just as someone else stated my pissed-off meeter is like at 10.

System:

3.2 Ghz Intel
Nvidia 6600 (81.87 driver, tried to see if the bata would help, after running into the same problem with the 81.85)
1GB Ram

lordex
Nov 02, 2005, 11:29 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I have tried all the tricks and still get the same result. Anybody else having this problem as well?