View Full Version : Install Failure, Problem with CD 2?

I_batman
Oct 28, 2005, 07:12 PM
Loading game on an IBM T-42 Laptop.

1. Inserted Disc1- Install into CD Drive. Click on Install. Things seem to be OK.
Getting something like Screen 1 jpeg:

2. Then I get a prompt for 2nd CD. I remove first CD, and put in 2nd CD labelled Disc 2 - Play.

This is what I see before and immediately after I load the 2nd CD, Screen 2 Jpg:

3. I hear the CD Drive fire up for the 2nd CD, then up pops Screen 3 Jpg:

4. I then click on the data.cab file, the only file showing up, and it comes up as invalid format, whatever that means. See jppg 4.

5. Then after I manage to get back to the main screen, I see this jpg 5.

Only option I have is cancel.

I was going to show jpeg 6 of me screaming expletives at the CD's, but thought it would lose its impact without sound.

This is the second time I have installed, and the results are exactly the same both times.

I managed to get to Take2 support which was a miracle itself.
BTW, the phone number in the back of the manual for Canadian support is wrong. The last 4 numbers state 0217, when it is 0127. That is always a good sign of Quality Control.

Now, the nice little support tech I talked to after the obigatory 10 minute wait was as useful as a pet turtle doing support.
He informed me that my Video chip set would not support the game, so why botehr installing. I told him thanks, but I want to ensure that the CD's were not defective. I know the Radeon Mobility set has T&L problems, but I am getting a more powerful computer very soon, with a better video card.

He then told me that my Virus checker could be interfering with the install. I explained that I have NEVER had an install problem with dozens of programs I have loaded on this machine, many more intricate than a 2 CD comp game.

He then suggested that because of all the programs running in my start up menu were interfering with the install of this game. Once again, I have installed many, many programs more demanding than this without incident.

So can anybody give me an idea what the problem is.

Oh, and yes, I rebooted and only was given the option to "play", not install.
And the only uninstall available is a manual install, which does indeed require a regedit command.

That was how I was able to try the install again.

mjm801
Oct 28, 2005, 07:20 PM
When I had the insert CD 2 screen (the same one you show) I put in the CD and did nothing after a few seconds installation contiued without me clicking anything.

I_batman
Oct 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
When I had the insert CD 2 screen (the same one you show) I put in the CD and did nothing after a few seconds installation contiued without me clicking anything.

Mine just sits there, spinning, then the screen pops up like show.

oconp88
Jan 15, 2006, 10:38 PM
I am having a similar issue and am wondering if there was a resolution?