View Full Version : "Contact the Senate.....tell them we have engaged the Borg."

CornMaster
Jan 06, 2002, 05:16 PM
Another BOTF post.

Well...after playing this game for about 3 years...I have finally battled the Borg. And I must say.....all the doomsday stories I heard were very dishearting.

For example.....one player took 50 Federation Starships and set most of them to Ram....(as that does the most damage)....they just barely destroyed the cube...and limped away with a few ships..

So naturally....I wasn't too enthustasic about fighting them.

Let me set the stage....after a few non-agression treaties with the Ferengi and the Klingons all my ships had been moved to my Starbase orbiting Mintaka. 28 Starships I believe....over the course of a few turns. So...I decided to put an end to my ongoing war with Cardassia. And sent all ships to orbit Cardassia and begin Plantary bombardment. I intended to bombard the planet until no life remained. Unfortuntally the Romulan Star Empire has encured massive debt....due to the betrayl of my allies some 150 turns before, and our massive Navy. So I've been unable to construct new ships or buildings. Thus I can not risk trying to capture the planet.

However...enroute to Cardassia we picked up a distress call from a Cardassian Colony...the Borg were attacking and had killed over 200 million Cardassians already.....thus we directed our fleet to intercept. (If the Borg were to capture the colony...another Cube would be constructed.) Although our enemy would be destroyed.....a greater enemy would be born. And the Borg threat had to be addressed.

Thus I have included some screenshots of this historic battle.

Ohwell
Jan 06, 2002, 05:23 PM
Well, I don't have this game, but the story is making me very anxious to find out
about the borg! It reminds me of Starcraft, where the Terrans and Protoss try
to end the zerg! What is this game called? Battles of the Federation? Gotta get it:D
Good storyline so far...

CornMaster
Jan 06, 2002, 05:27 PM
And of course....the battle.

You will see Romulan Ships Decloak, fire disruptors, followed by plasma torpedos....

CornMaster
Jan 06, 2002, 05:38 PM
BOTF stands for Birth of the Federation. Where you play as one of the 5 civilizations in the Alpha Quadrant. Either Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, or Cardassians.

There are many features that are like Civ...and many more features....battles are fought in space "zoomed in" ship to ship combat, minor races with unique abilities, random events....like Borg attacks and Crystaline Entity, Subspace distruptions, etc... A lot of the things that Civ was missing showed up in this game. Also written by Microprose.

Unfortunatally....it early bugs were never fixed to great satisfaction...and slow down bugs, memory leaks, and intermettent crashes can cause fustration. But talk to Palehorse....he will tell you that the pro's outweight the cons. He was recently introduced to the game...

CornMaster
Jan 06, 2002, 06:05 PM
Here is a better animated .gif.

However....it was slightly too big to post....thus I zipped it up. For anyone that is interested.

damunzy
Jan 06, 2002, 06:22 PM
Good job CornMaster. The borg doesn't seem all the hard now. According to the FAQ I have they have 6100 Shields and 735 Hull.
I like the animated gif, and the second is way better.

CornMaster
Jan 07, 2002, 11:25 PM
My new BOTF Battles Page.

This puppy includes a large battle between the Klingons (Me) with Cardassians (PaleHorse) vs. The Acarmarians. (A Minor Race)

http://dacornmaster.tripod.com/startrek/battles.htm

Dell19
Jan 08, 2002, 10:39 AM
The borg is not hard to kill later in the game, especially if you start on advanced since you don't need loads of ships to kill it. The problem of the borg is really when they come too early or they appear on the other side of the universe and you have no way of reaching them...

CornMaster
Jan 08, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Dell19
The borg is not hard to kill later in the game, especially if you start on advanced since you don't need loads of ships to kill it. The problem of the borg is really when they come too early or they appear on the other side of the universe and you have no way of reaching them...

So....up for a game. :)

Dell19
Jan 08, 2002, 02:34 PM
Oooo a challenge. My problem would be that it could take along time to complete and I would probably lose because the computer loses too easily. The main problem would be arranging it though. My hotmail address in Dell19_UG@hotmail.com if you want to try but I make no promises.

CornMaster
Jan 08, 2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dell19
Oooo a challenge. My problem would be that it could take along time to complete and I would probably lose because the computer loses too easily. The main problem would be arranging it though. My hotmail address in Dell19_UG@hotmail.com if you want to try but I make no promises.

Do you have MSN, ICQ, or AIM?

Me and PaleHorse play about 2-3 hours a day.....usually late at night (EST) time.

And that was a friendly challenge. :)

Dell19
Jan 10, 2002, 11:07 AM
That was my MSN name that I posted. My ICQ number is 103112480.

damunzy
Jan 11, 2002, 08:23 AM
I added you Dell, you just have to allow me.
If anyone wants to add me my numbers/names are:
AIM: PaleHorse76
MSN: junk467@hotmail.com
Yahoo!: PaleHorse76

I am a BOTF newbie so take it easy on me. Plus I just play for fun, so whether I lose or now makes no difference. Broodwar on the other hand. ;)

damunzy
Jan 12, 2002, 12:59 AM
Here is a screenshot of the PowerGraph in CornMaster and my most recent BOTF game. Notice me, the UFP (United Federation of Planets) is beating the tails off of everyone else. Look at the poor interpretation of mighty CornMaster the RSE (Romulan Star Empire). The computer just doesn't recongize his mighty power.

going to try to sneak this in since CM keeps deleting my posts. yes! The PG is all! Behold the Power of Pale! or is that cheese? Anyway, spank my monkey Romulan boy! Cheesie as arse built in cloak cheat.

CornMaster
Jan 12, 2002, 01:05 AM
*Cough*

You may have more systems...but who has more Dilithum?
Who is kicking the Cardassians ass? Destroyed 3 outposts, 2 star systems, and 5-6 starships.
Who has faster research?
And of course....who has cloak? ;)

But all in all....we have both played a good game thus far. To go with my successful war against the Cardassians, was an early campagin against the Klingons which drove them out of the south and toward the north of the map (UFP/FA). And a successful conquering of the Pakleds (Who's special building gives 100 more research. :)) has also helped my production.

Edit: Don't believe that morale crack above....all my systems have 120+ morale....only Pakled has below 100. And thats still in the 60's (How would you fell if you had been conquered by the Romulans. ;)

Edit 2: Palehorse keeps editing his post....to make me look like I'm crazy.....I'm just tired....so anyway...I going to bed. And disregard ANYTHING PH says. ;) Except the Powergraph of course....it's valid.

Dell19
Jan 12, 2002, 03:19 AM
Next time you start a game I would quite like to join although I always thought that the Romulans would have an unfair advantage in MP games. They don't do well in the single player game because they usually end in in the middle of the map and the computer tends to attack the Romulans first. So I find it easiest to win with the Federation on a beginning game but I like to use the Klingons or the Cardassians on an Advanced game. Klingons because they have a nice cloaked ship and the Cardassians for their intelligence department...

CornMaster
Jan 12, 2002, 10:24 AM
The Romulan cloak is an excellent advantage...but remember...the Romulans have some of the weakest stips in the quadrant.

With an overall lower sheild and hull armor then all other races, and weapons that are mid range. (Federation has better shields while Cardassians have stronger hulls) If the Romulans don't kill in the first attack.....then it's likely they will lose a few ships before the battle is finished.

Also...I rarely fight in a 1 on 1 fight. Where the numbers are equal. Romulans can't win those fights too well either. Always try and have 1.2 to 2 times more ships then anyone I attack.

And example would be when I too a cloak scout and fought a Klingon Troop Transport. As we know Klingon TT's gave weapons. It got me down to about 10 shields (from 80) before I finally destroyed it!!!

Anyway.....the reason I choose the Romulans are 3 fold:
1) Good Cloak
2) Singularity Plant (Comes in handy when short on Dilithum)
3) Strong security. (Internal)

Dell19
Jan 12, 2002, 01:07 PM
The Klingons would be great since their ships have better weapons and their battle cruiser can cloak except their intelligence is very bad. I have had several single player games before where I kept on throwing troops at the Romulans so that I could quickly stop them from using their intelligence. They took over one of my battle cruisers and destroyed alot of my improvements but I managed to take over their three best planets and then they were dead. :D

I find that it depends on what level you start on alot. The cardassians are probably the weakest race with beginning tech because they tend to struggle to get minor races to join them yet they are good at higher tech levels because then they can use their military might. The federation are the best race overall since they are good at early expansion and always have strong ships. The Ferengi do well early on but on an advanced tech game their homeworlds population is too low to power all its unique buildings and be able to construct ships quickly.

I have noticed how bad the Romulans are when they are outnumbered especially when they have to fight on two fronts and that is why I do not like them. The best moments are always when it looks like you will lose but then with a few major victories the tide turns in your favour.

damunzy
Jan 12, 2002, 10:05 PM
I must say that I am jealous of the Romulan cloaking technology and would play them if CornMaster didn't already claim them. I started out with the Cardassians in a level 1 game b/c I thought they had cloaking. Boy was I wrong. I played them for a few games without much luck (both MP and SP). I just converted over to the Feds and have been enjoying great success with them. I have altered my strategy somewhat from what I was doing with the Cardassians (I was continually altering it with them, testing out the game) and I think I have one that is pretty sound. NOw I just have to continue making good decisions when it comes to diplomacy and technologic advances. Just found out this game that different races have different needs for new ship types. That was a pain to find out. I also found a bug in the game where I got 2 free outposts. I haven't been able to redo the yet as we have continued on with the game and I don't want to monkey around but it may just be something that the game allows you to do when you gain the ability to make Outpost IIs.

Dell19
Jan 13, 2002, 03:39 AM
A bug that I found was when you make contacts with minor races. If another empire finds a minor race first and then they become subjugated by the major race, then you sign a treaty that shows all their planets. This causes you to be able to liberate the minor races system later in the game but you still will not be able to talk to them, even if you wipe out the major race that once subjugated them...

CornMaster
Jan 15, 2002, 12:37 AM
Here is a picture of my current game early on...

CornMaster
Jan 15, 2002, 12:45 AM
And the way it looks now.....Cardassia is now a Romulan planet....while Ferenginar is a Klingon planet. However...I think the Federation has made the largest gains....in both planets, minor races and ships. At one point they had 21 starships orbiting one of my main systems....I could only muster 15 in that region.....would have been a bad fight for me. Luckly they kept their treaty....after I made a few consessions. One of which was war with the Ferengi, and that caused me to capture one of their planets....and about to take another. I also discovered that the Klingons had taken most of the northern Ferengi systems!!

So shortly it will be just Klingons, Romulans, Federation, and Cardassians. However with the Ferengi gone...my other mortal enemies the Cardassians will be next. Then the game will be interesting. Only three races left to control the galaxy. :D

CornMaster
Jan 15, 2002, 11:21 PM
The Ferengi Alliance has fallen.

And the Romulan Star Empire and the United Federation of Planets are in a feirce war. The RSE early victories have been offset by major losses while conquering Pakled. And 7 more ships were lost when the fleet was suprised (thus uncloaked) but a 20 ship Federation task force. I successfully destroyed 2-3 UFP targets...but ultimately the battle was lost.

The Klingon Empire is also activtally destroying the Cardassian Union....with a large 40 ship taskforce. It could easily overpower the RSE internal defence force of 11 warships.

Well...here is the newest galaxy map.

damunzy
Jan 15, 2002, 11:26 PM
Looks dire my friend. Good luck. See why is it better to play a coop game with your friend? ;)

CornMaster
Jan 18, 2002, 07:36 AM
Well.....the Klingons were still hurting the Cardassians. The UFP and RSE decided that war right now....with the large Klingon attack force fly around wasn't a wise choice. Thus we have sign a non-agression pact. The Klingons demand that the RSE declare war on the Cardassians. Since they had 10+ ships orbiting Cardassia (Romulan Planet) I declared war. But in the same turn the Klingons made peace with the Cardassians!! So I go stuck in another war...and nothing gained. Then the Klingons broke their Affilation treaty they had with me!

And they attack Kitara. I had an outpost and 9 cloaked battle cruisers. They destroyed the outpost.....but I destroyed their 8 destroyers, 1 scout and 1 battle cruiser. Then they attacked an outpost I had deep in Federation territory. The cloaked battle cruiser drove it away.....but not before it destroyed the outpost. Then a Klingon Strike cruiser attacks ANOTHER outpost of mine....luckly I was able to drive him away BEFORE destroying the outpost. So....I'm taking all my ships and going to move in on the Klingon Empire!! See if I can't take their few Dilithum producing systems.....and cut them off at their source!!

Anyway...I have to go to school.....the newest galaxy map (Un-altered)

PinkyGen
Feb 01, 2002, 07:28 PM
I like BOTF. I just rediscovered this game, started playing Romulans on a medium galaxy with all tech level set at 5. I love using that cloak to ambush.

Anyways, both the Klingons and the Cards declared war on me. I rushed some battle cruisers, and used the cloaks to decimate their small fleets. After a brief foray to conquer independent Angosia, I attempted to move to the Cardassian main planets. However, I still only had one dilithium source, and not enough power for the singularity. I was able to damage, but not take one of their planets (then their intelligence destroyed one of my battle cruisers, grrr)

Fortunately, I discovered the Klingons had the dilithium producing talarians as members. And only one orbital battery for defense. I conquered Talar, seized the dilithium, and started able to produce a proper fleet. Q'uonos and Alpha, two of their main planets, and one of their colonies have no fallen. Only one Klingon planet remains, and it too shall soon fall.

I had a stalemate on the card front for a while, scraping what battlecruisers I could to keep their fleets out of my space. But when i really started killing the Klingons, they made peace, and now even signed an affiliation treaty with me.

As for the Fed's, I have a friendship treaty with them. They signed an alliance with the Klingons when I was in mid-war with them, and moved their fleets to the border. Fortunately, I accepted twice accepted war pacts from them to attack the Ferengi (who were on the other side of the galaxy, I didn't have to worry about them). My relations our cordial with them, and the Klingons will soon be dead. I was hoping to get an alliance out of them though.

As for the Ferengi, they once declared war on me, but I twice declared war on them. After I declared war on them, both times they offered non-aggression treaties and over 7,000 credits if I signed them. Needless to say I accepted.

Things are going well, especially since I'm rusty at this game. What I need to do, and haven't really done, is start at earlier tech levels and on a bigger map. The earliest I've ever started at was at 3. I wonder what 2 or 1 are like.

Oh, and I like flying Federation ships, but I hate how morale is a problem. I can't conduct war without them trying to rebel. :(

damunzy
Feb 02, 2002, 11:26 AM
In the MP game CornMaster and I have been playing, he is the RSE (Romulan Star Empire) and I am the UFP (United Federation of Plantets). I have not had too much problem with morale except for the systems I took over, which are both Klingon. In this game I got horrible luck for finding systems with Dilithium but I have the Trills as a member minor race and one of the ex-Klingon systems has it also. I have now caught back up with CornMaster in Science production (He has a race that gives him +100 and I have built a system wide +30% to science structure) and my empire is larger. He has cloacked ships though so I will stay his friend for a while. After I take the Klingons out (Corn is working on the Cardassians) the Ferengi are next. Is this game winable as Allies?

Wolfe Tone
Feb 02, 2002, 12:27 PM
I Really Really love this game. But can I ask do any if you have any Mods installed. If you don't I recomend going to the coop site and getting the torpedo and phaser mod. they really enhance the graphics. the UFP get the cool orange beams they have in the program. Th Klingons get the green disrupter beams also and the torpedo graphics are enhanced. They are smaller and the Fed have the red ones not blue.
I also recomend downloading the building mod. It makes it the game better. adjusted ship stats ect.

The site is: http://members.aon.at/zelli/main.htm A lot of the Mods here requires the patch being applied

damunzy
Feb 02, 2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks Wolfe! I had no idea this game was modded, althought I can believe it since Corn showed me where all the graphics were stored. We unizp then rezip the graphics files at a lesser compression to hopefully let the game run a little bit faster. The graphics file goes from 74Megs to 256Megs or so.

Wolfe Tone
Feb 02, 2002, 03:35 PM
So what Mods have you installed?

Dell19
Feb 03, 2002, 05:52 AM
I just have the original game...

Wolfe Tone
Feb 03, 2002, 06:00 AM
I would have to say that you should get the torpedo and phaser Mod from the coop site (I have a link above.) None of the stats are altered but the battles look a lot better

Hamlet
Feb 03, 2002, 09:44 AM
The special baddies such as The Borg, The Crystaline entity et al are terribly easy to defeat with The Romulans. The cloak effectively allows you to make a pre-emptive strike, and with a decent amount of warships you should be easily able to destroy the opposition in the first turn.

For a real challenege, try taking on a Cube with one of the non-cloak races. :D

One of the major grievances I have is that the game is playble, but incredibly buggy. For instance, The UFP are just about as warlike as The Klingons when you play against them. Has anyone else noticed this?

Wish there was a mod for intrepid class ships, a la Voyager. :D

CornMaster
Feb 03, 2002, 12:38 PM
I'll download the torp. and Phaser MOD, but I'm really against changing the stats and such.....but that's just my personal preference. I guess it's common knowledge that a MODed and non MODed can't play together. (Except just the enhanced weapons MOD)

Edit: LOL....all three links where broken....for both mods...

Wolfe Tone
Feb 03, 2002, 12:54 PM
If you want I'll post them here but before I do I would like to get a clarification on if I'm allowed. I did not create these files and I am unsure whether it would break any rules. CornMaster (or any other Mod for that matter) please respond and I'll will attach both files OK

damunzy
Feb 03, 2002, 01:24 PM
attaching the Mods should not be a problem, legally.

Wolfe Tone
Feb 03, 2002, 01:33 PM
OK here's the phaser

Wolfe Tone
Feb 03, 2002, 01:37 PM
And the torpedo

Hamlet
Feb 03, 2002, 03:23 PM
Would you be so kind as to upload a few of the other mods too?

Wolfe Tone
Feb 03, 2002, 04:04 PM
It doesn't seem to be letting me upload any more I'll try again tommorrow

Dell19
Feb 04, 2002, 10:30 AM
There is a file size limit, which may be the problem but I don't know what the limit is.

Wolfe Tone
Feb 04, 2002, 11:31 AM
OK i'll try again here's the texture Mod. It really enhances the graphics of the ships in combat

Wolfe Tone
Feb 04, 2002, 11:52 AM
OK it still isn't working if you want i'll email any other Mods that you want. just place email address

The other Mods I have are
texture- increases the ships graphics
deflector- increases deflector dish graphics
Building Mod - Adjusts stats (I recomned this for single player games)
Excelcior- Adds the Excelcior to the game. (I haven't tried this so I don't know if this works
Planet Mod- Adjusts the Stats of plantets to make them hold huge pops

State what other Mods you want and I'll send them OK

CornMaster
Feb 05, 2002, 08:44 PM
I downloaded the multipack mod. had a whole bunch in one. It's ok. I could play the game either way. No big difference.

Wolfe Tone
Feb 06, 2002, 11:09 AM
Try the building Mod. It adjust the stats but I think it does a good job

CM Don't you think that the Fed torpeodoes look pretty sweet with the torpedo Mod

Hamlet
Feb 12, 2002, 09:05 AM
This game is fun sometimes. :)

I'm playing as the Cardassians, and I've just started. I'm mostly building colony ships, and my military is very weak as a result. :(

I suddenly encounter the Romulans in my backyard. :eek: they don't have an outstanding military, but it's better than mine, and they have designs on my territory. :(

They've signed a NAP with me, but they become agressive and before long, declare war on me. :mad: Strangely, though, they decide to kill a few of my colony ships, set up shop in a few systems next to the border, then leave me alone. God knows why. They weren't at war with anyone else, and could have easily pressed home the advantage. It was on normal level, too.

Anyway, Hamlet clearly does not abide this, :king: so I start producing heavy ships whilst the romulans mess about with piddly little destroyers and colony ships, thinking they have the better of me.

I eventually end up with around 8 galor class battleships and 6 keldon class strike cruisers. :scan: It's time for revenge. :p

I blast through some badly defended outposts on the border and start bombarding the Romulan border colonies. When these are vaped, I head towards Romulus.

An epic battle ensues, with The Romulans having their small destroyers, a few warbirds, an outpost, a few non-combatants caught up in it, and one or two battle cruisers.

My big ships blow all of that away in one turn, leaving only a sorry looking strike cruiser and a piddly little destroyer, which are quickly obliterated. :lol:

Let the invasion of Romulus begin! :)

Dell19
Feb 12, 2002, 11:10 AM
I had a nice game once where I was the Cardassians.

The Ferengi were above me and the Federation to the west.

It was early in an advanced game and I had peace with the Federation but when I met the Ferengi they declared war on me and they outnumbered me.

They started to bombard two of my outer planets whilst my main fleet was halfway to Ferenginar. Instead of turning around they carried on going and Ferenginar fell to my ships whilst they took two systems from me but they were not important.

I proceded to take the rest of the Ferengi's major systems and later in the game I took back the systems that the Ferengi had taken.

During this time the federation became more friends with the Ferengi but never joined the war.

I quit the game in the end though because the borg came and wiped out most of the romulans and had started to destroy the Klingons whilst I could do nothing to stop them (too far away)

PinkyGen
Feb 12, 2002, 10:21 PM
Ah, I'm just wrapping up another game now. I played as the Romulans of course, but this time on the large galaxy. Started in the top left corner. I did my typical way of expanding fast at expense of a fleet. I met the Federation and the Klingons to the west, made peace (the Klingons wanted a little money.)

Made an affiliation pact with the Mizarans, then the Ferengi declared war, and I detected unknown ships in that sector. My destroyer and scout destroyed an unguarded troop transport. Two turns later, my first battle cruiser arrived, and I destroyed the Ferengi fleet piecemeal, but couldn't get into main Ferengi range due to shipyards.

Got Mizar to join, federation offered friendship, and then a war pact on the Klingons. Attacked the Klingons, took lightly defended Talar, got my 2nd dilithium source. Built up transports, signed alliance with Federation, conquered all of the Klingon territories, particulary Qu'nos. When this happened, the game was over.

The Ferengi redeclared war (after paying me 500 per turn) because of my sabatoge of the Klingons. Killed them, then moved east towards Cardassia (who I encountered when fighting the Klingons, I let them weaken Qu'nos for me :) ). By the time I was moving to Cardassia, their morale started to plummet, and two systems declared independence.

But the most unusual thing of all was what happened to my ally, the Federation. They just sat up in their space with a big fleet and did nothing. But this lack of expansion must have angered their population, my intelligence rated them as Defiant. Three systems declared independence, and the Bolians withdrew from the Federation (a third of their space). I of course got the Bolians to join me. :)

Even though I've won, I'm invading the Fed's. I wanted an epic battle, but the Federation disbanded part of their fleet even before I attacked. Still, around 20 battlecruisers, most elite, one legendary, and 8 Warbird II's still had fun. Now only a few systems are left, and their outposts and fleet are gone.

But I will never play on a large map again, as it's taking freaking forever for the turns to go.

Wouldn't mind a Borg attack, give my fleet a challenge. :)

Hamlet
Feb 13, 2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by PinkyGen
Wouldn't mind a Borg attack, give my fleet a challenge. :)

With The Romulans! lol.

Just make sure you don't cloak if you want a real challenge.

CornMaster
Feb 14, 2002, 08:41 PM
Pinky...are you on any IM's???

Me, you and PH should start a game. :)

PinkyGen
Feb 23, 2002, 02:41 PM
Instant Messangers? Yeah, I have AIM, PinkyGen18. I don't think I have the time to sit through one now though, maybe during Spring Break. :)

damunzy
Mar 20, 2002, 02:13 AM
You've been bothering me lately about playing, you on spring break now?

So far CornMaster, PinkGen, and myself have gotten together. I wonder how many more we can get into a game and if it will be as crash prone as the game we had has been.