View Full Version : Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wyz_sub10
Nov 07, 2005, 12:45 AM
BtS version available

CANADA MOD - Deluxe 2.0 (Beyond the Sword)

Additions in new version:

- added new King leaderhead by C.Roland
- added new Trudeau leaderhead by bernie14
- added new Canada Corps model from GeneralMatt
- added Inuksuk wonder from woodelf and winddelay

Changes in BtS version

- completely modular
- added flavour units
- Voyageur replaces Scout
- Mountie replaces Cavalry
- Avro Arrow replaces Jet Fighter
- JTF2 replaces Marines
- all Canadian units have unique names
- new Splash screen at intro

NOTE: Civ Gold 3.0 BtS users who wish to have an "expanded" Canada can simply drop the 'Canada' file **within the Modules directory** into the Gold mod, replaces the existing Canada folder.

**Important - do not drop the WHOLE folder, only the 'Canada' folder within the 'Modules' directory

CREDITS:

Sevo (MacDonald and Trudeau leaderheads)
Slaxton (Canada Corps re-skins
Bad_Ronald (flag)
General Matt (Avro Arrow)

Canada Mod - Deluxe (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7866)

[b]Status - December 18, 2007

Canada Mod for BtS 3.13 is just about ready for release. I just need to do a few XML edits then run a quick test, and we should be good to go!

Expect to download the latest version on Thursday.

Changes to the BtS version include additional flavour units:

- Canada Corps (UU) replaces Infantry
- Voyageur replaces Scout (flavour)
- Mountie replaces Cavalry (flavour)
- Avro Arrow replaces Jet Fighter (flavour)
- JTF2 replaces Marines (flavour)

Cheers.

CANADA MOD - Deluxe Edition (Warlords)

There have been several requests concerning a Canada update to 2.08. As you know, I've been putting this off as I continue to work on CIV Gold 4.0. Given that Beyond the Sword is due for release in July, I've decided to hold off on updated the mod until after that time.

I apologize to those wanted a 2.08 fix, but I have zero hours in the day right now and I think it makes more sense to do one massive update following the next expansion. If someone wants to learn a bit of XML and take on the 2.08 task, I would definitely support them. But at present, resources are limited and I need to finish Gold.

Note on installation
- find \Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods
- unzip contents to 'Mods' folder using 7-Zip

In addition to the points below, the Warlords version adds the following:

- Unique Building: Microwave Station (replaces the Broadcast Tower and adds +1 happiness, +50% culture to the city)
- two Canadians to the Great Generals list: Sir Arthur Currie and Romeo Dallaire
- Trudeau is now Charismatic and Organized
- Jean is now Philosophical and Charismatic

Canada Mod - Warlords Edition (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2207)

CANADA MOD - Deluxe Edition (vanilla)

**Updated August 8, 2006**

Changes in 2.0

- fully integrated Soundpack (thanks to purplexus)
- all Leaderheads now animated
- Three new wonders added - CN Tower, Oil Sands and ??? ;)
- new LH for Trudeau; Trudeau's LH assigned to Pearson
- Pearson is now Industrious and Creative
- Michaelle Jean added as 5th leader* (PHILOSOPHICAL and CREATIVE)
- RCMP added as flavour UU to replace Cavalry
- First Contact diplomacy text added
- fixed overlapping colour issue with Japan
- several small text and buttons fixes

* Yes, I know many people won't like Jean as a leader. I'm the furthest thing possible from a monarchist, but I wanted to try to re-skin a leaderhead that was black and female, and I had a great pic of Rideau Hall to use. Simple as that.

Updated April 22/06

Changes in 1.6

- compatible with CIV 1.61
- MacDonald and Trudeau now have animated leaderhead
- Canada flag is now team colour with proper alpha channel (no more white flags)
- replaced Canada Corps icon/button with image from Canadian WWI poster
- added The Battlefords to the city list
- added First Hussars to UU flavour name list
- install path fixed (see below)

update Dec. 26/05

Changes in Final 1.5

- compatible with Civ 1.52 patch
- added 3 flavour names to Unique Unit:
- Fusillier de Mont-Royal
- North Novas
- Voltigeurs de Quebec

Update Dec. 4/05

Changes in Final 1.4

- added instruction for using with 'Mod' folders and 'CustomAssets'(see txt file)
- added Canadians to Great People list:
Prophets: Charles Taylor, St-Marguerite d'Youville
Merchants: Roy Thompson, (Alexander Mackenzie already in Civ4)
Artists: Emily Carr, Glenn Gould
Engineers: Sir Sandford Fleming, Frank Gehry
Scientists: Frederick Banting, Gerhard Herzberg

- added 27 unique names for Canada Cops infantry regiments!

Princess Patricia's
Ontario Regiment
Western Canada Cavalry
Fort Garry Horse
The Black Devils
Royal Highlanders Black Watch
Fighting Van Doos
Victoria Rifles
Tobin's Tigers
Cameron Highlanders
Edmonton Overseas
Western Scots
Seaforth Highlanders
Winnipeg Grenadiers
Queen's Own Rifles
Toronto Americans
Royal Winnipeg Rifles
Algoma Overseas Battalion
Western Irish
Carabiniers Mont Royal
Duke of Connaught's Own
French Acadian Battalion
Vikings of Canada
Voltigeurs Canadien Français
Men of the North
White Eagles
Siberian Expeditionary Force

Names are based on 1) Chronological order, 2) Popularity, 3) Regional representation

UPDATE Nov. 26/05

Changes in Final 1.3

- compatible with Patch 1.09
- moved from Beta to Final version (with enhancements to come, nonetheless)
- added another re-skin from salxton for accuracy
- added custom Canada Corps button from slaxton

UPDATE Nov. 22/05

Changes in Beta 3

- added Canada flag button for Civpedia and Interface - thanks slaxton!
- added re-skin for Canada Corps - thanks slaxton!
- added leaderhead pics and leaderhead buttons - thanks Cybercollector!
- reordered city list to switch Edmonton and Calgary; added Kamloops

UPDATE Nov. 12/05

Changes in Beta 2

- added Sir John A. MacDonald and Lester B. Pearson (see below)
- added bad_ronald's terrific Canada flag for the unit markers - thanks!
- added Moose Jaw to city list at request
- MOD now loads from 'Mods' directory (but still recommend using CustomAssets)

Civilization
Name: Canada
Techs: HUnting, Fishing
Leaders: William Lyon Mackenzie King, Pierre Trudeau, Sir John A. MacDonald, Lester B. Pearson
Unique Unit: Canada Corps

Leaders
William Lyon Mackenzie King (industrious, organized)
Pierre Trudeau (philosophical, organized)
Sir John A. MacDonald (expansive, organized)
Lester B. Pearson (philosophical, creative)

Unique Unit
Canada Corps (replaces Infantry)
- 140 cost
- Attack: 20 (same as Infantry)
- Movement: 2
- +25 vs. gunpowder (same as Infantry)
- starts with 'March'

To install as a STAND-ALONE MOD:

- find \Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods
- unzip contents to 'Mods' folder using 7-Zip

NOTE: You *may* have to hold shift when starting Civ4 to clear the cache

wyz2@canadatrack.com

Canada Mod - Deluxe (vanilla) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=223)

TheeLord
Nov 07, 2005, 04:08 AM
Looks pretty cool from your description. If I was Canadian Id jump all over it. Hopefully the Canadians will be in a huge makeover mod.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 07, 2005, 08:59 AM
Hopefully we can get a maple leaf for it in the future, but anyway, nice work. :thumbsup:

Jaraxle
Nov 07, 2005, 10:54 AM
Why not mounties as the UU? Or is that just offencive and I don't understand cause I'm an american?

hybrid5
Nov 07, 2005, 10:57 AM
sweet going to try this when i get home ..

looks good .

Wyz_sub10
Nov 07, 2005, 11:02 AM
Why not mounties as the UU? Or is that just offencive and I don't understand cause I'm an american?

Mounties is a fine idea but when I asked for UU ideas in another thread people seemed to move away from that suggestion.

Plus, I think Civ4 (and Civ3) tries to have UUs that correspond to periods of power for the civ. WWI and WWII is where Canada had the most success as an nation from a military perspective.

WWI was especially important because we were drawn into it as a British colony. Our participation there is what gave us some autonomy and earned us some respect internationally. We even got a League of Nations seat because of it. I figured it was most accurate to give Canada a UU from that time period.

Ktulu
Nov 07, 2005, 12:38 PM
Looks good, can't wait to give it a try.

bad_ronald
Nov 07, 2005, 02:06 PM
Would you consider expanding these to include other civs? There is a Turkish mod and Finnish mod out now with their own flags, and my Canada mod with no flag because I'm graphically lame.Here ya go ;) (Edit: Don't mind the JPEG compression, it looks crisp in game):

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/CanadianFlag.JPG

(Please note that getting the maple leaf to fill the entire height of the white central area looks ridiculous, since the resolution is 128x128 despite how vertically stretched it looks in game - the only option is to decrease the size of the red stripes, and I reckon they are the smallest that they can get while looking appropriate)

The Download (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Canadian_Flag.zip)

mayonaise
Nov 07, 2005, 02:31 PM
wow not only did you make him a canadian flag but a great representation of a modern canadian military UU holding it :eek:

Wyz_sub10
Nov 07, 2005, 02:34 PM
Here ya go ;) (Edit: Don't mind the JPEG compression, it looks crisp in game):

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/CanadianFlag.JPG

(Please note that getting the maple leaf to fill the entire height of the white central area looks ridiculous, since the resolution is 128x128 despite how vertically stretched it looks in game - the only option is to decrease the size of the red stripes, and I reckon they are the smallest that they can get while looking appropriate)

The Download (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Canadian_Flag.zip)

That's excellent, thank you!

wow not only did you make him a canadian flag but a great representation of a modern canadian military UU holding it

Laugh all you want, those clubs are the latest in blunt wood technology. Next year we anticipate producing a board with a nail in it.

MichaelBlondin
Nov 07, 2005, 02:41 PM
Now for cool scenarios, a Quebec mod should be create! ;)

Gulio
Nov 07, 2005, 03:00 PM
Awesome! Time to switch from Persia to Canada!

Thank goodness you didn't use Mulroney haha.

A quebec mod? Where you try to seperate? haha just kidding.

Personally, I would've liked to see the Avro Aroww. That was Canadas best Aiir craft, and still holds records today that have not been beat. Can't believe we actually agreed not to continue making those awesome ships.

MichaelBlondin
Nov 07, 2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, a scenario where Quebec is already seperated and where USA try to invade Quebec. I don't know ! You should really think on another special unit for Canada !

Gulio
Nov 07, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'd liek the Arrow. It'd kick the crap out of every fighter at the time, but then they'd stop making it.

Or a unit called "red Neck" stronger which can range in strength from a Swordman - sober to Navy SEal - pissed with a shotgun.

wenamon
Nov 07, 2005, 03:50 PM
my canadian flag shows up different? red with a white cross.

I installed it into this dir
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\art\Interface\TeamColor

anyone know how to do this correctly?

Great mod btw... been lookin forward to a canadian take!

Wyz_sub10
Nov 07, 2005, 04:14 PM
my canadian flag shows up different? red with a white cross.

That's because the mod uses England's flag as a placeholder. I will incorporate bad_ronald's work tonight and then post a new version.

Great mod btw... been lookin forward to a canadian take!

Thank you. :)

PeteT
Nov 07, 2005, 06:12 PM
Laugh all you want, those clubs are the latest in blunt wood technology. Next year we anticipate producing a board with a nail in it.

That's assuming that we can get ahold of some nails, eh.

Plan B involves splitting the end of the club, inserting a suitably shaped stone, and applying duct tape.

Glibe
Nov 07, 2005, 07:51 PM
What about helicopters? Isn't the Canadian Navy/Air Force obsessed with Helicopters? I think someone needs to do a reskinning of the gunship. And once we can create our own models, a transport copter is needed.

Speaking of helicopters, where is the mod that paints a shark mouth on the gunships?

Turbo_Noob
Nov 07, 2005, 10:15 PM
im going to offend someone, but a warrior unit renamed "seal-clubber" would make me laugh, gets +50% versus navy seals.

hybrid5
Nov 07, 2005, 10:33 PM
edit never mind . i was just being dumb again .. ....

Wyz_sub10
Nov 07, 2005, 10:44 PM
Please note that getting the maple leaf to fill the entire height of the white central area looks ridiculous, since the resolution is 128x128 despite how vertically stretched it looks in game - the only option is to decrease the size of the red stripes, and I reckon they are the smallest that they can get while looking appropriate)

The other option is to get rid of the red bars all together and just do a red maple leaf on a white background (like the American star flag).

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 08, 2005, 08:17 AM
bad_ronald's flag is quite good. I think you should use that one instead of getting a red maple leaf on white background.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 08, 2005, 10:46 AM
bad_ronald's flag is quite good. I think you should use that one instead of getting a red maple leaf on white background.

I was trying to get it to work last night but I am having a problem using the Mod directory instead of CustomAssets. The former director loads the mod but with no changes. The latter loads the files perfectly, but I'm not sure where to put *.dds files using that structure. (Maybe I put the dds in the main directories...)

Eh, I'll figure it out. But yes, I'll use that flag.

WaxonWaxov
Nov 08, 2005, 12:11 PM
.....**RENAME FILE FROM ZIP TO RAR AND USE WINRAR**...

OK, I might be called stupid here, but what the heck is winrar?
:crazyeye:

hybrid5
Nov 08, 2005, 12:14 PM
OK, I might be called stupid here, but what the heck is winrar?
:crazyeye:

another compression agent .. ( like winzip )

http://www.rararchiver.com/

go here to download it .

Skedastic
Nov 08, 2005, 12:35 PM
How about a beefed-up destroyer as the Canadian special unit? Currently Canada's navy could be crushed by a small fleet of fishing trawlers, but circa WW2 the Canadian navy was among the strongest in the world. A "corvette" unit particularly strong against submarines would be appropriate (not that sea power is particularly important in Civ4....)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 08, 2005, 12:57 PM
(not that sea power is particularly important in Civ4....)

I think this is one of the discouraging reasons - just like the suggestion for a good WWI fighter or Avro Arrow. For one, non-land units just aren't as useful.

Second, a sea UU would probably be more appropriately assigned to the Brits or Germans...or maybe the Chinese or the early-dynastic period.

Do you have specific examples of WWII Canadian ships?

spa
Nov 08, 2005, 01:34 PM
The Canadian unique unit should be the Sea King helicopter. It's special ability would be it can utilize railways unlike normal gunships since it breaks down so much and therefore spends little time in the air ;)

In all seriousness, one Canadian unit that would fit would be an improved destroyer. Canada's military may be subpar these days but we do have top of the line frigates. Now if we could only round up enough sailors to man them all at one time.

Skedastic
Nov 08, 2005, 03:53 PM
Second, a sea UU would probably be more appropriately assigned to the Brits or Germans...or maybe the Chinese or the early-dynastic period.

Do you have specific examples of WWII Canadian ships?

Remember we are trying to think of an reasonable special unit for Canada. If you want to rule out generic military types which were stronger in Britain, Germany, or the U.S. you are ruling out basically everything.

I already suggested the "Canadian corvette." I don't know any specific classes or anything. I'm sure Google would tell you if you wanted something more detailed.

cythochrome
Nov 08, 2005, 05:04 PM
im going to offend someone, but a warrior unit renamed "seal-clubber" would make me laugh, gets +50% versus navy seals.

That was funny.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 08, 2005, 05:26 PM
Remember we are trying to think of an reasonable special unit for Canada. If you want to rule out generic military types which were stronger in Britain, Germany, or the U.S. you are ruling out basically everything.

Actually, I already thought of a reasonable special unit for Canada. Hence, including it in my mod. :)

I'm only suggesting that if someone feels strongly that another unit should be used in its stead, then they should develop the rationale, idea and info and pitch it.

But I'll take a peak at Canadian naval units, nevertheless.

Greek Plunder
Nov 08, 2005, 05:36 PM
Actually, I already thought of a reasonable special unit for Canada. Hence, including it in my mod. :)

I'm only suggesting that if someone feels strongly that another unit should be used in its stead, then they should develop the rationale, idea and info and pitch it.

But I'll take a peak at Canadian naval units, nevertheless.

The guy was just putting out ideas... no need to get defencive because it's 'your mod.'

Wyz_sub10
Nov 08, 2005, 05:44 PM
The guy was just putting out ideas... no need to get defencive because it's 'your mod.'

Please note the :)

I'm not getting defensive in the least. I welcome his ideas, and like I said, I'll look into the navy idea. If other people support it, terrific by me.

I'm just suggesting that if people have ideas on anything - leaders, units, techs, whatever - then flesh them out so that we can kick them around. It's a fine idea but more info on what it would do would be great.

Chopperhead
Nov 08, 2005, 06:08 PM
OK well I think you should put john A Mcdonald as one of the leaders only seems right that he should be in there.

Also for the UU a good one would be a sniper. Canada has the best snipers in the world. I mean in todays world not WW1 or whatever. In Afganistan the Americans, Brits eveyone was specifically asking for Canadian snipers because they are the best. A Canadian sniper also holds the record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,400-meters. Canadians also got top honours at the
US army sniper schools international sniping competion.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 08, 2005, 06:21 PM
How exactly would you have a sniper unit work?

And also. UUs should be from a time when the civ was in it's Golden Age. The closest thing Canada has had to a Golden Age would probably be in the World War period. The Canadian Corps was quite instrumental in establishing Canada as more than just a British colony. A Corvette UU could certainly work, but Canada was known much more for its exploits on land during the wars.

Chopperhead
Nov 08, 2005, 06:37 PM
How exactly would you have a sniper unit work?

And also. UUs should be from a time when the civ was in it's Golden Age. The closest thing Canada has had to a Golden Age would probably be in the World War period. The Canadian Corps was quite instrumental in establishing Canada as more than just a British colony. A Corvette UU could certainly work, but Canada was known much more for its exploits on land during the wars.

Would you really call ww2 the "Golden Age" for the Germans? I think not. but yet their unique unit comes from that age. Thats not the point though. A sniper could maybe replace infantry. Has a +25 agaisnt non mechanized units or something like that and maybe be invisble like a spy or something. I dunno lots of diffrent ways it can work.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 08, 2005, 06:40 PM
Well, many of the UUs are from civs Golden Ages.

Redcoats
Navy SEALS
Praetorians
Phalanx
Conquistador
Jaguar
Quechua
Camel Rider
Immortals

Chopperhead
Nov 08, 2005, 06:45 PM
I know I was giving an example on how it doesnt HAVE to be from the civs golden age. But your right most are but since this is a mod civ you can do whatever you want.

Chopperhead
Nov 08, 2005, 06:49 PM
also if were going to have a Candian civ would it be possible to include some Canadian buildings as well like have the CN tower and the have the Parliment buildings be the "Palace" change the Colleseum to a hockey rink in the later stages of the game like it changed to a baseball stadium in civ3.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 08, 2005, 07:08 PM
Bah. Who needs Parliament when we can have Tim Horton's! :p

Chopperhead
Nov 08, 2005, 07:20 PM
That would be cool lol it could be a National wonder or Epic whatever they are called. and we could spread them to other Nations like a religon lol and get some extra commerce to the " Holy" city of Hamilton . :goodjob:

PiTiFUL
Nov 08, 2005, 08:07 PM
I think the infantry unit is perfect, though I would like to see it stronger. Canada's infantry was noted especially in WW1 to be some seriously tough hombres. The only thing that I find off is Trudeau being 'organized' creative would be more appropriate I think.

Speciou5
Nov 08, 2005, 09:52 PM
I like the UU and King as a leaderhead, but I would recommend dropping Trudeau for Laurier. Trudeau is a bit controversial to represent Canada with and besides Laurier would kick his butt anyways. :)

Oerwinde
Nov 08, 2005, 10:17 PM
For a unique unit how about Machingunners that can attack. That was one of Canada's major contributions to WWI. They took a look at the mounted machinegun and said "hey... we can put those on motorcycles!" and bam. Non-defensive machinegun.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 08, 2005, 10:47 PM
also if were going to have a Candian civ would it be possible to include some Canadian buildings as well like have the CN tower

I'd love to include the CN Tower as a wonder. It's a communications tower, so some kind of bonus in that regard would be nice, although I'm not sure how that would work.

The only thing that I find off is Trudeau being 'organized' creative would be more appropriate I think.

I went with philosophical instead of creative (I figured the Constitution, Bill or Rights - these seem 'philosophical').

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 09, 2005, 12:20 AM
I still think MacDonald and Pearson should be the leaders :p

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 02:00 AM
I still think MacDonald and Pearson should be the leaders :p

It's not that difficult to simply add them and have 4 Canadian leaders. The bios are the most work, but still easy enough.

What traits and fav civic would you give them? I think Mac could be organized and expansionist, with representation as civic. Pearson would be philosophical and industrious maybe? Univ Suff as fav civic.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 09, 2005, 02:16 AM
What about helicopters? Isn't the Canadian Navy/Air Force obsessed with Helicopters? I think someone needs to do a reskinning of the gunship. And once we can create our own models, a transport copter is needed.

Speaking of helicopters, where is the mod that paints a shark mouth on the gunships?

LoL, Canada is terrible with helicopters we should be banned from them. Unless you want to make the unique unit the Sea King. Which replaces ICMBS and falls from the sky on the target. Why not get our self sinking sub marines they cause all other civ to run out and try to rescue them.

I like your concept, very good. The starting techs certainly suit us. My only big beef is with the leader choices. Both of those guys are certainly noted leaders, but i don't think they are our best. Plus you can't have 2 liberals you gotta have one liberal and one Conservative, so why not take the greatest prime minister from each faction.

Sir John A. MacDonald (Industrious, Organized)

Sir John A's big dream was the rail road, that is certainly why Industrial would be fit for him. Organized becuase he was a lawyer by trade after all, and one does generally have to be fairly shrewd to found a country in a couple of meetings.

Lester B. Pearson (Creative, Organized)

Creative, he won his noble peace prise becuase of it. It was he who came up with Idea of peace keeping. I'd say organized becuase he brought about many reforms during his term, including our flag. Even though he was a liberal I won't hold that against him I think it would be an absolute shame to pass up the greatest prime minister this country had to date.

Alternates:

Brian Mulroney (financial, creative) and Sir Wilfred Laurier (philosophical, industrious). Both Laurier and Pearson are far better liberal prime ministers than Trudeau ever was, and Mulroney was voted the second best prime minister in the last half century.

I like your Canada Corps idea but Canadian Light Infantry might be a more fitting name concidering probably the most well known Canadian Regiment is the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. March is good if not that medic II since it helps those around the unit and one this canada sure does is help others.

If you know how to add buildings you should add Parliment (+4 culture, +1 commerce, double production speed with stone) as a national wonder, available with Nationalism. And the Oil Sands Project (+5 commerce, +2 great engineer, double production speed with oil) available with Industrialism.

I know this is your mod and I really have no right to judge. I would be flattered if you even concider anything I have to add.

daystrom
Nov 09, 2005, 09:35 AM
I like your Canada Corps idea but Canadian Light Infantry might be a more fitting name concidering probably the most well known Canadian Regiment is the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. March is good if not that medic II since it helps those around the unit and one this canada sure does is help others.

Hold on there. Many in the east would differ on that point. Eastern anglophones would argue that the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR), being Canada's oldest existing infantry regiment, should get the nod just as I am certain that many Quebecois would argue for the Vandoos (R22eR).

So, for the sake of harmony, I propose that we have an airborne unit as our UU. From a historical standpoint our greatest moment, militarily speaking, was during WWI, where our soldiers (infantry) gained the respect of nations from around the world. So, outside of a hopped-up infantry unit as our UU, I would argue that our finest ever conventional combat unit was the Canadian Airborne Regiment. It was comprised of 3 battalions (called commandos) who drew their membership from the 3 respective infantry regiments, as follows:

1 Commando - R22eR
2 Commando - PPCLI
3 Commando - RCR

Aside from the fact that the unit was disbanded due to the actions of a few bad apples and some bad leadership, I think it would make a great UU for Canada. The unit had the respect of our own military, our NATO allies, and nations around the world for being a hardcore fighting force.

Well, thats just my 2 cents (about 1.6 cents US).

regards

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 09, 2005, 11:12 AM
It would be nice to have the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, but in recent years their record isn't as flattering. They were dissolved because of questionable activities in Somalia.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 09, 2005, 11:30 AM
These are the traits I would give MacDonald and Pearson.

Sir John A. MacDonald - Expansive, Creative
Lester B. Pearson - Creative, Philosophical

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 11:43 AM
Plus you can't have 2 liberals you gotta have one liberal and one Conservative, so why not take the greatest prime minister from each faction.

Sir John A. MacDonald (Industrious, Organized)
Lester B. Pearson (Creative, Organized)

I think this is fair - one Conservative and one Liberal. In Civ1 I used to play as Pearson, King, Trudeau or MacDonald, so that's pretty much the list we've seen here (minus Laurier).

My rationale for Trudeau is 1) length of term, 2) Bill of Rights, 3) constitution, 4) social impact. It's hard to argue with his impact on Canada. King was based mostly on longevity and his role as the WWII PM.

MacDonald makes perfect sense, as does Pearson. You know, maybe I'll just add both. :)

Canada Corps is a bit more broad in numbers but focused in terms of era, which is what I was going for. But there is lots of support, it seems for naval, air and other units in different measures. I doubt we'll find something that fits everyone. Maybe I'll revist the Canada Corps structure. I've always been in favour of 2 UUs per civ, though. That would give us another option.

If you know how to add buildings you should add Parliment (+4 culture, +1 commerce, double production speed with stone) as a national wonder, available with Nationalism. And the Oil Sands Project (+5 commerce, +2 great engineer, double production speed with oil) available with Industrialism.

I'm not as familiar with this, but I'll play around when I get the chance.

I know this is your mod and I really have no right to judge. I would be flattered if you even concider anything I have to add.

I very much appreciate your input.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 09, 2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah I forgot about expansive that would be a good one for Sir John A. But I think Indoustrious should still stand becuase he was crazy about that rail road. Super beaver, you live in Calgary eh, so do I.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 11:45 AM
These are the traits I would give MacDonald and Pearson.

Sir John A. MacDonald - Expansive, Creative
Lester B. Pearson - Creative, Philosophical

:goodjob:

I'm just wondering, though, if John A. should be more organized (confederation)? I agree with expansive to cover both the railraod and westward development.

Pearson looks good to me.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 09, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah I forgot about expansive that would be a good one for Sir John A. But I think Indoustrious should still stand becuase he was crazy about that rail road. Super beaver, you live in Calgary eh, so do I.

He was crazy about the railroad so that he could achieve his dream of expanding Canada to the Pacific. :p

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 12:15 PM
Super beaver, you live in Calgary eh, so do I.

Goddamn whiney Albertans. :cry:

(I'm in Edmonton, actually :))

Mighty Grum
Nov 09, 2005, 01:23 PM
Peace-keeping troops!

It seems that we are one of the most dedicated nations in supplying peace-keeping troops to war-torn areas.

Maybe the UU is at infantry level power, but has the bonus of adding +1 happiness to cities they are stationed in (to a maximum of +3 in any city).

Or if there was some way of allowing the presence of the UU to help quell uprisings or revolts more quickly?

In terms of Canadian "golden age" units, it would have to be during WWI. The Vimy Ridge battle is considered our shining moment in international conflict. A close second would be the troops that landed at Normandy during D-Day, as they pushed inland further and faster than any other army during that conflict. They were so effective, in fact, that they were ORDERED to slow down because they were going to stretch the supply lines too thin.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 09, 2005, 01:24 PM
It is nice to see some people actually patriotic enough to make a Canada mod. I always get chocked when Canada is completely ignored.

A lot of people are saying the CN tower should be used as a wonder, but I am not so sure. So it is the tallest free standing structure in the world, but it is really nothig more than a novlty. It does nothing more than let people see how smoggy Toronto is from the height of the smog. There really few things of wonder calibur in Canada. Parliment is really only fit for a national wonder it is a charming sturcture but it has no effect out side of this country, and the oil sands project is the onlything that has the scope of a world wonder, after all it is the biggest oil deposit in the world.

Hey, wyz I was wondering what your city list looks like? Obviously Ottawa is your capitol, but what have you got after that?

petey
Nov 09, 2005, 02:39 PM
It would be nice to have the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, but in recent years their record isn't as flattering. They were dissolved because of questionable activities in Somalia.

I like this idea. The special unit ability can be that it can only attack non-military units and is immediately disbanded after use. Or just renamed a Paratrooper unit and hope that nobody realizes it's the exact same guys. :)

It's cool to have a Canada civ - I always used that in Civ III. I just renamed the Iroquois since they had the horse UU and renamed that the Mountie. The Organized trait sucks, though, so I'd use something else. Aggressive and Spiritual would be good, mainly because Canada is fairly pacifist and secular.

Soam
Nov 09, 2005, 02:49 PM
A lot of people are saying the CN tower should be used as a wonder, but I am not so sure. Parliment is really only fit for a national wonder it is a charming sturcture but it has no effect out side of this country, and the oil sands project is the onlything that has the scope of a world wonder, after all it is the biggest oil deposit in the world.

I'd have to agree, the CN tower just doesn't cut it. What about the West Edmonton Mall? :lol: Hollywood North maybe? Trailer Park Boys?

Hey, wyz I was wondering what your city list looks like? Obviously Ottawa is your capitol, but what have you got after that?

Yeah Wyz, don't forget Moose Jaw. :cool:

What makes the bio's so hard? Can't you just cut them out of Wikipedia and then edit a bit or is there some rule against that?

I always thought the Mountie should be Canada's UU but I have no problem with a WW Infantry unit. I just don't think that people should consider WW2 as Canada's golden age, considering that the people back home were far from living it large.

Is it possible to have 2D leaderheads in Civ4? Then you could find some photos online and use them until a sufficient 3d one is created. I always prefered this in Civ3 instead of reusing existing leaderheads.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah Wyz, don't forget Moose Jaw. :cool:

Sorry, Moose Jaw missed the cut. Saskatchewan is represented by Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert. Substituting Mosse Jaw (or just adding it) is easy, of course. I can do that if you like.

What makes the bio's so hard? Can't you just cut them out of Wikipedia and then edit a bit or is there some rule against that?

Yup. That's what I did for a couple of them. But they have to be stripped and reordered because there is too much info otherwise. That pain is in the tagging in XML for paragraph breaks, and then applying these entries to the other languages (as placeholders, relly).

I always thought the Mountie should be Canada's UU but I have no problem with a WW Infantry unit. I just don't think that people should consider WW2 as Canada's golden age, considering that the people back home were far from living it large.

WWI and WWII were "golden" in the sense that the country finally gained some measure of recognition beyond Britain on the international stage. Plus, it was a booming time for the economy and population. I agree with your perspective, though.

Is it possible to have 2D leaderheads in Civ4? Then you could find some photos online and use them until a sufficient 3d one is created. I always prefered this in Civ3 instead of reusing existing leaderheads.

Yup. I have some pics that somewhat was kind enough to send me. I need to play around with the files first, though. But we can do that.

spa
Nov 09, 2005, 04:19 PM
I think Trudeau is a great pick for one of the leaders. Love him or hate him you can't deny the impact he has had on the country. Before him, Canada was a very different place. With the patriation of the constitution we finally became absolutely 100% independent of Britain. The other thing is that unlike many of our leaders he actually had a vision and sent out to achieve it. He didn't just preside and react to issues. He was a real leader. Laurier, Pearson and MacDonald are the only ones who strike me as being in that league. King may have ruled the longest but really he wasn't much of a doer. That's my two cents. Great effort on this mod by the way :)

Tommy1234567890
Nov 09, 2005, 04:20 PM
do you have any screeinie of the canadian corps?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 09, 2005, 04:32 PM
I think Trudeau is a great pick for one of the leaders. Love him or hate him you can't deny the impact he has had on the country. Before him, Canada was a very different place. With the patriation of the constitution we finally became absolutely 100% independent of Britain. The other thing is that unlike many of our leaders he actually had a vision and sent out to achieve it. He didn't just preside and react to issues. He was a real leader. Laurier, Pearson and MacDonald are the only ones who strike me as being in that league. King may have ruled the longest but really he wasn't much of a doer. That's my two cents. Great effort on this mod by the way :)

Thanks! I agree with your comments on the PMs. I could just take King out, but after putting in the effort to get him there, he may as well stay. I'll simply add MacDonald and Pearson.

do you have any screeinie of the canadian corps?

Unfortunately it just uses the existing Infantry icon and unit graphics. The stats are different, of course, as it the Civpedia entry. But the graphics are the same. As soon as some new graphics emerge, I'll make the change.

...or if some talented modder out there want to make one?

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 10, 2005, 12:31 AM
And another reason Canadian Corps should be the UU.

During the liberation of Europe in WWII, General Montgomery had the Americans push through the open lands along the French/German border, as they were experts at mechanized warfare. The British took the middle through Belgium/German border, but I can't remember his reasoning for this. The Canadians, however, were assigned the outer prong, along the coast and into Belgium and the Netherlands, as he knew that the Canadians were quite good at infantry attacks, and bogged down fighting. I remember seeing this in the Calgary Herald a while ago when Montgomery's son visited the city and gave a speech about his father, and this was one of the things he said.

Also, has anyone seen the show Turning Points of History on History Television? One of the episodes deals with the Battle of Ortona in Italy during WWII. The Canadians fought the Germans in a violent battle for this city. The Germans had dug themselves in deep, planning a slaughter of Canadian troops. However, they devised ways around this, and fought fiercly from house to house until the Germans retreated. At the time it was dubbed "Little Stalingrad".

And a random fact. Canadians should have actually liberated Rome, but the American general forced them to stay back, so that he could take the city.

Chopperhead
Nov 10, 2005, 12:49 AM
ya I believe that was gerneral paton and i also heard that the reason the Canadians and Britsh stayed back was because General Paton threaten to fire on anyone who tried to enter Rome before his troops.

ehBeaver
Nov 10, 2005, 01:30 AM
ya I believe that was gerneral paton and i also heard that the reason the Canadians and Britsh stayed back was because General Paton threaten to fire on anyone who tried to enter Rome before his troops.

I did watch that a couple days ago on historytelevision, apparantly it is true that the American General (not Patton) threatened to shoot at Brit & Canadian Forces if they attempted to enter the city. So while Americans were glorified, Canadians were on the outskirts. Also, people dont know much about this cause a couple days later, was D-Day.

Soam
Nov 10, 2005, 02:59 AM
Sorry, Moose Jaw missed the cut. Saskatchewan is represented by Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert. Substituting Mosse Jaw (or just adding it) is easy, of course. I can do that if you like.

The city with the world's largest moose gets rejected. :cry:
Maybe make Mac the Moose a Canadian national wonder? heh...

That pain is in the tagging in XML for paragraph breaks, and then applying these entries to the other languages (as placeholders, relly).

Right forgot about putting it into XML.

WWI and WWII were "golden" in the sense that the country finally gained some measure of recognition beyond Britain on the international stage. Plus, it was a booming time for the economy and population. I agree with your perspective, though.

Alright a Military Golden Age then. :)
Goodluck with the rest of the mod.

Rognvaldr
Nov 10, 2005, 05:20 AM
You should have had Cretian (sp?) as a leader you would only have to animate half his mouth

didaskalia7
Nov 10, 2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the mod and the Great Flags!!
Im playing Canada now in the Dynastic mode on a gigantic map.
I just wish it would go slower!!!!

:crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :lol:

daystrom
Nov 10, 2005, 11:17 AM
I did watch that a couple days ago on historytelevision, apparantly it is true that the American General (not Patton) threatened to shoot at Brit & Canadian Forces if they attempted to enter the city. So while Americans were glorified, Canadians were on the outskirts. Also, people dont know much about this cause a couple days later, was D-Day.

Mark Clark was in command in Italy, the man was an idiot. If it was not for Ike he would have been riding a desk in Tunis or some such place. We should have taken him up on the challenge. ;)

Soam
Nov 10, 2005, 01:47 PM
Someone mentioned before about how the CN Tower wasn't a wonder with world reach so I've been doing some looking around and came up with Camp X for a Canadian wonder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_X

Wyz_sub10
Nov 10, 2005, 02:20 PM
I'd still like to do the CN Tower, but I see that the Eiffel Tower functions as I imagined the CN Tower would.

I was thinking of ther Trans Canadian Railway as a wonder of sorts. There's also trans Atlantic communications that was a significant milestone.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 10, 2005, 02:30 PM
You actually made me realise that the CN Tower is just like the Eiffel Tower but larger and newer. I suppose if the Eiffle Tower is in the CN Tower has just as much right to be in. Trans Atlantic telegraph would be a better wonder I think though that the CN Tower, but what effect would you give it?

That Camp X thing was pretty cool, Canada should have that for training spys instead of Scotland Yard.

ibcoltscrew
Nov 10, 2005, 03:57 PM
You should have had Cretian (sp?) as a leader you would only have to animate half his mouth
LMFAO... dude this is really funny post...:lol: BTW it's Jean Chretien not Cretian... lol... very funny about the mouth tho.:lol:

Operator
Nov 10, 2005, 07:50 PM
I vote for a Corvette (naval unit) that has a +50% bonus against subs. It just makes sense... into the 50's, 60's and even today (trust me, I know first hand) Canadian ASW tactics and skills are world class.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 11, 2005, 01:28 AM
I vote for a Corvette (naval unit) that has a +50% bonus against subs. It just makes sense... into the 50's, 60's and even today (trust me, I know first hand) Canadian ASW tactics and skills are world class.

That would make sense but the only issue is that all the UUs in Civ 4 are land units. I think they did it becuase it was a balance issue. YOu don't just play civ to roll over every one, you play it to be challenged and roll over every one.

CivMad
Nov 11, 2005, 10:44 AM
Good job on the Canadian mod! It always amazes me that the game doesn't come with a Canadian mod, since that seems to be one of the first mods people make.

My two cents:

For leaders I agree Trudeau has to be there, and I think for balance (English, Tory) it would be good to have Macdonald.

For UU, I understand the arguments for Canada Corps and actually think it's a very good idea. I also like Mounties, who really were instrumental in opening up the west in the late 19th century. Another potential unit, too often ignored, is Voyageurs. This would be an 18th century unit, of course. The Voyageurs' abilities as explorers were really astonishing. (This would also be a good unit for a Quebec civilization.) Peacekeeper is also a great unit idea, though the truth is we were better peacekeepers 20 years ago than we are now, due to government cutbacks.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
Another potential unit, too often ignored, is Voyageurs. This would be an 18th century unit, of course. The Voyageurs' abilities as explorers were really astonishing. (This would also be a good unit for a Quebec civilization.)

You just gave the reason Voyageurs shouldn't be Canada's UU right there. It was a French colonial fur trader, not Canadian. A UU should represent all the countries history, not just a specific region.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
You just gave the reason Voyageurs shouldn't be Canada's UU right there. It was a French colonial fur trader, not Canadian. A UU should represent all the countries history, not just a specific region.

They were definitely Canadian, though. They worked along with Scots to develop the fur trade from Quebec right through to Manitoba. They were instrumental in developing commerce along the St. Lawrence to the Great Lakes. Posts like Fort William were owned and managed by Brit Scots, but relied on the voyageurs to trap, process and deliver goods back to the Atlantic ports.

They were my UU in my first Civ3 Canada mod - a modified settler unit.

Dusty4prez
Nov 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
Wow this is awesome but are you almost done the one with the flag implemented I'd really like it

Wyz_sub10
Nov 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
Wow this is awesome but are you almost done the one with the flag implemented I'd really like it

I'm testing that now but the flag isn't showing up perfectly. The white band in the middle has red "bleeding" through it. I need to check to see if I screwed something up somewhere.

Before releasing the next version I want to add MacDonald and Pearson, clear up the city list a bit and see what I can do about a couple additional graphics.

Thanks for your comments. :)

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 11, 2005, 06:22 PM
Heh I was just about to ask about the new version too. Do you think there might be an ETA on when you will be finished?

What have you got for the city list maybe we can help clean it up.

WaxonWaxov
Nov 11, 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey guys,

Using this (Canada) mod as a basis, I've made attempt #1 at making a Scotland Mod.

DOwnload it here... http://www.EricCable.net/Scotland_Mod_beta1.rar

Note that this is very beta. Some of the xml tags don't work quite right. You'll see what I mean when you look at the leader names (Robert the Bruce and William Wallace) as well as the short description and adjective fields.

Any help will be appreciated.

Red Door
Nov 11, 2005, 09:57 PM
File's corrupted.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 11, 2005, 11:18 PM
Did you try to open it in WinZip? In the first post he says to use WinRar.

PeteT
Nov 11, 2005, 11:20 PM
I, too, got a lot of "Scotland_Mod_beta1: The file "Scotland_Mod_beta1" header is corrupt" type messages but managed to get through them.

WaxonWaxov:

Note that this is very beta. Some of the xml tags don't work quite right. You'll see what I mean when you look at the leader names (Robert the Bruce and William Wallace) as well as the short description and adjective fields.

Any help will be appreciated.

So, I fixed the XML texts (and another error in CIV4UnitInfos).

I also converted the mod so that it lives in the MODS folder with the Firaxis mods. Wyz sub10: did you get the Canada mod to work like that? I also got 'corrupted headers' messages with it.

How about I put these two mods together? I'm not trying to take over anything. It's just that I don't mind doing this sort of debugging (which I can usually do quite quickly, providing I have the spare time) but I certainly don't have the time to get into the basic designing and laying out of this stuff.

WaxonWaxov
Nov 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
So, I fixed the XML texts (and another error in CIV4UnitInfos).

I also converted the mod so that it lives in the MODS folder with the Firaxis mods.

So you fixed the Scotland mod?

Please post it, or somehow send it to me... I'll send you a PM with my email...

thanks for the debugging..

Wyz_sub10
Nov 12, 2005, 12:43 AM
File's corrupted.

As mentioned, you need to rename to .rar from .zip and use WinRAR. I'll change this in the next version to avoid the confusion.

Did you get this error message at another time?

I also converted the mod so that it lives in the MODS folder with the Firaxis mods. Wyz sub10: did you get the Canada mod to work like that? I also got 'corrupted headers' messages with it.

No, whenever I use the Mods folder (Firaxis directory), it loads (it says 'Canada mod' in top right corner) but it doesn't seem to load the data. I'm really not sure what it is I'm missing, especially since it loads fine from CustomAsssets.

Where did you get the 'Corrupted headers' message?

How about I put these two mods together? I'm not trying to take over anything. It's just that I don't mind doing this sort of debugging (which I can usually do quite quickly, providing I have the spare time) but I certainly don't have the time to get into the basic designing and laying out of this stuff.

Cool be me. You may want to look at the Finn civ mod, too. I'll be uploading a new Canada version within a few days.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
Heh I was just about to ask about the new version too. Do you think there might be an ETA on when you will be finished?

What have you got for the city list maybe we can help clean it up.

I'll try to get this done within a few days. Spare time is rare, so I have to cobble together a few hours here and there.

Here's my city list. I'm pretty happy with it but thought I might make a few adjustments. Comments are welcome.

Keep in mind that list is only partially based on size. I wanted to be sure we had good regional representation too. (Pardon the XML tags)

<City>Ottawa</City>
<City>Toronto</City>
<City>Montréal</City>
<City>Vancouver</City>
<City>Edmonton</City>
<City>Calgary</City>
<City>Québec</City>
<City>Winnipeg</City>
<City>Halifax</City>
<City>Victoria</City>
<City>Regina</City>
<City>Hamilton</City>
<City>St. John's</City>
<City>Saskatoon</City>
<City>Mississauga</City>
<City>London-Middlesex</City>
<City>Fredericton</City>
<City>Windsor</City>
<City>Laval</City>
<City>Kitchener</City>
<City>Charlottetown</City>
<City>St. Catharines</City>
<City>Sherbrooke</City>
<City>Saint John</City>
<City>Oshawa</City>
<City>Kelowna</City>
<City>Sudbury</City>
<City>Moncton</City>
<City>Kingston</City>
<City>Trois-Rivières</City>
<City>Cape Breton</City>
<City>Whitehorse</City>
<City>Yellowknife</City>
<City>Iqaluit</City>
<City>Sault Ste. Marie</City>
<City>Saguenay</City>
<City>Brandon</City>
<City>Red Deer</City>
<City>Thunder Bay</City>
<City>Richmond</City>
<City>Barrie</City>
<City>Abbotsford</City>
<City>Guelph</City>
<City>Chatham</City>
<City>Peterborough</City>
<City>Sarnia</City>
<City>Brampton</City>
<City>Kamloops</City>
<City>Brantford</City>
<City>Nanaimo</City>
<City>Belleville</City>
<City>Prince George</City>
<City>Gander</City>
<City>Drummondville</City>
<City>Kawarthas</City>
<City>Lethbridge</City>
<City>Prince Albert</City>
<City>North Bay</City>
<City>Medicine Hat</City>
<City>Fort Smith</City>

WaxonWaxov
Nov 12, 2005, 01:15 AM
If someone wants to incorporate my Scottish stuff with what others have done, that's cool by me. Thing is, I'm not done with Scotland yet.

Hopefully, Pete will send the fix he made to the Scotland mod to me.

Cheers,

Rowain
Nov 12, 2005, 12:18 PM
Poor John A didn't make the cut.. :(

Or Wilfie!

Wyz_sub10
Nov 12, 2005, 12:30 PM
Poor John A didn't make the cut.. :(

Or Wilfie!

John A. will be added as soon as I get the chance. I'll like add Pearson as well.

Rowain
Nov 12, 2005, 01:12 PM
John A. will be added as soon as I get the chance. I'll like add Pearson as well.

Pearson would definately be cool, but I'd really like to see Wilfred Laurier...

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 12, 2005, 01:33 PM
Calgary should be before Edmonton :p

dkehler
Nov 12, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'm testing that now but the flag isn't showing up perfectly. The white band in the middle has red "bleeding" through it. I need to check to see if I screwed something up somewhere.

Before releasing the next version I want to add MacDonald and Pearson, clear up the city list a bit and see what I can do about a couple additional graphics.

Thanks for your comments. :)
You have to change the bWhiteFlag tag from 0 to 1.

I'm using your Canada mod along with the Canada flag that was provided earlier in this thread, and I'm enjoying it very much. So thank you for doing this!

Rowain
Nov 12, 2005, 05:36 PM
Time to play a duel game of Canada vs America.. and settle the score once and for all.

Corvex
Nov 12, 2005, 08:21 PM
I want Dief the Chief!

Now I'm just going to melt away and let everybody forget I said that.
Seriously, I like Trudeau as leader...or MacDonald...Or Champlain. You should really consider Samuel de Champlain.

Rowain
Nov 12, 2005, 09:11 PM
I want Dief the Chief!

Now I'm just going to melt away and let everybody forget I said that.
Seriously, I like Trudeau as leader...or MacDonald...Or Champlain. You should really consider Samuel de Champlain.

That too would be interesting, maybe a few of the people who were never a Prime Minister or something. Louis Riel!

Corvex
Nov 13, 2005, 01:01 AM
I would want Louis Riel as a Great Prophet (he was the 'Prophet of the New World' if I recall correctly), but not as a leader. There are a handful of Catholic and Orthodox Saints who also qualify for Great Prophet, and, of course, so does the founder of the Raelian cult (I think they're based in Quebec, aren't they?)

Champlain would be a good choice, as far as I'm concerned. It was Trudeau who wrote the constitution and MacDonald who built the railway...but there couldn't be a nation at all without Champlain.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 13, 2005, 01:42 AM
On a further version you should add some stuff from our colonial days. If you are going to add Champlain you should add Wolfe to represent the English.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 13, 2005, 02:02 AM
Beta 2 is up. See the revised OP for changes.

Still to do:

- proper icons (flag is in, but not icons for Pedia)
- add leaderhead pictures (dds conversions not working, dammit!)
- get reskin unit for Canada Corps (I'll have to rely on another for this)

yacco
Nov 13, 2005, 09:27 AM
Hi All,

I just made a new mod for quebec - all the work is based on what wyz_sub10 does with the canadian Mod - great work by the way and thanks for the great tutorials!
- You could find it in another thread (Quebec Mod)

Remember this is just a game, i just made it for fun. No offense to everyone (particulary canadian people - as i am by the way )

In the future, it could be fun to put togheter the canadian mod with this one... it's up to you! Great scenarios perspective ;)

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 13, 2005, 06:46 PM
Hye wyz when I tried to open the zip folder it said that it was invalid or corrupt. Any possible remidy to that?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 13, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hye wyz when I tried to open the zip folder it said that it was invalid or corrupt. Any possible remidy to that?

You have to rename it to a .rar file from a .zip file and use WinRAR to decompress.

The site doesn't allow the uploading or RAR files, and ZIP files compress for ****, making the file too large to download as a single file. That's why I use a rar format and name it .zip.

I think in the next version I'll just find another place to host it.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 13, 2005, 11:05 PM
You have to rename it to a .rar file from a .zip file and use WinRAR to decompress.

The site doesn't allow the uploading or RAR files, and ZIP files compress for ****, making the file too large to download as a single file. That's why I use a rar format and name it .zip.

I think in the next version I'll just find another place to host it.

Check thanks, now I just gotta go get winrar on my lappy.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 13, 2005, 11:52 PM
Champlain would be a good choice, as far as I'm concerned. It was Trudeau who wrote the constitution and MacDonald who built the railway...but there couldn't be a nation at all without Champlain.

Champlain would make a great Quebec leader, but I don't think he would be a good Canada leader. Canada didn't even exist when he died. All that there was was Quebec.

Kid_icoris
Nov 14, 2005, 12:19 AM
Have the NHL as a National wonder, have it +10cul/turn and one happy face in each city, either that or have it +50%cul/turn in city built and puts a stadium in each city, that might be a little much for it though, also for UU i think either a peace keeper or mountie would be appropriate, not because those units were available during our "golden age" but because they are symbols of canada, when people outside of canada think of canada they think, well hockey and beavers, but aside from those two they think mounties, the mounty symbolizes canada as a whole same with the peace keeper

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 14, 2005, 12:32 AM
For the city list, I think you should use a list of the 30 largest cities in Canada, and Charlottetown. And Cape Breton is not a city, and Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit aren't really all that important.

Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Quebec
Winnipeg
Hamilton
London
Kitchener
St. Catharines
Halifax
Victoria
Windsor
Oshawa
Saskatoon
Regina
St. John's
Greater Sudbury
Chicoutimi
Sherbrooke
Barrie
Kelowna
Abbotsford
Kingston
Trois-Rivières
Saint John
Thundery Bay
Moncton
Charlottetown

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 02:09 AM
For the city list, I think you should use a list of the 30 largest cities in Canada, and Charlottetown. And Cape Breton is not a city, and Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit aren't really all that important.

The territory capitals are there because they're capitals, and that's the only reason really. Neither Cape Breton nor Saguenay are cities, I know. But I thought it better than Sydney (lest there be an Aussie mod in the works - the same reason why London is listed as 'London-Middlesex'), and I didn't want both Chicoutimi and Jonquiere.

In both case, the metro regions are known by the names I use, and Cape Breton (in particular) uses that name for their sports teams (rather than using Sydney). For this same reason, I was going to include Okanagan (but split it out instead) and still may add Kootenay at some point.

But it's mostly academic in any case. Civ4, I find, rarely gets beyond 7-12 cities, and one can always choose the name they like when founding.

I did consult your list from the other thread, though, to make sure I had everything in there.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 02:09 AM
Champlain would make a great Quebec leader, but I don't think he would be a good Canada leader. Canada didn't even exist when he died. All that there was was Quebec.

Yeah, I agree. I could see him as a Quebec mod leader, but not so much for Canada.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 02:11 AM
Have the NHL as a National wonder, have it +10cul/turn and one happy face in each city, either that or have it +50%cul/turn in city built and puts a stadium in each city, that might be a little much for it though, also for UU i think either a peace keeper or mountie would be appropriate, not because those units were available during our "golden age" but because they are symbols of canada, when people outside of canada think of canada they think, well hockey and beavers, but aside from those two they think mounties, the mounty symbolizes canada as a whole same with the peace keeper

This is a cool idea. I'll have to think on how this would be applied. Maybe a colosseum in each city (but that's a damn huge bonus).

I was thinking of the Trans Canadian Railway as a national wonder.

wenamon
Nov 14, 2005, 02:23 AM
hmm... i really like the nhl idea. although a collosseum would be pretty overpowering, how about a super bonus to happiness (and if Im any indication, a hit to productivity :mischief: )

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 14, 2005, 08:28 AM
The territory capitals are there because they're capitals, and that's the only reason really. Neither Cape Breton nor Saguenay are cities, I know. But I thought it better than Sydney (lest there be an Aussie mod in the works - the same reason why London is listed as 'London-Middlesex'), and I didn't want both Chicoutimi and Jonquiere.

In both case, the metro regions are known by the names I use, and Cape Breton (in particular) uses that name for their sports teams (rather than using Sydney). For this same reason, I was going to include Okanagan (but split it out instead) and still may add Kootenay at some point.

But it's mostly academic in any case. Civ4, I find, rarely gets beyond 7-12 cities, and one can always choose the name they like when founding.

I did consult your list from the other thread, though, to make sure I had everything in there.

If you are going to put the territorial capitals in, they should be very last. And many places use regions for their sports team. Kootenay Ice, Saskatchewan Roughriders, New England Patriots, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, Tennessee Titans, etc. But Calgary should be ahead of Edmonton. It is a larger city.

1c0n
Nov 14, 2005, 11:11 AM
just wanted to add how much you kick A$$ hahaha good to see this one out so soon! keep it up

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
If you are going to put the territorial capitals in, they should be very last.

Does it really matter? I mean, they're there because they are capitals. Plus, it's nice to have regional representation. I'm originally from Ontario, and I love Ontario. But I'm sure people want to see cities from across the country.

It's not a hill to die on - I can make this changes if that's what everyone wants.

And many places use regions for their sports team. Kootenay Ice, Saskatchewan Roughriders, New England Patriots, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, Tennessee Titans, etc.

Of course. But Kootenay, Cape Breton and Saguenay are composed of places with some parity. That's why they use the region name. But again, these names are also metro names (unlike Saskatchewan or Tennessee).

Chicoutimi-Jonquiere is now known as "Saguenay" by StatsCan. Cape Breton is indeed known as "Cape Breton". Kawarthas should be "Kawartha Lakes", so I'll change that.

I've done some mixing and matching here - using metros for smaller areas (Cape Breton), but separating metros to get some cities (like Mississauga). Again, not a hill to die on. If people want it hard line, one way or the other, works for me.

But Calgary should be ahead of Edmonton. It is a larger city.

True - they passed Edmonton in metro pop a few years back. I can graciously make this change if it will make you happy. ;)

Gulio
Nov 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
You have kelowna in the City Listing but not Kamloops?

Kelowna is a 2 bit town with 1 highway in and the same highway out. it's a stagnent city with no future growth.

Kamloops is a hub of 5 highways, 2 rivers, 1 lake, 2 ski hills and massive growth. It's also the biggest land mass in British COlumbia (yes, bigger than Vancouver).

So Kamloops should be added to the list. Plus it's really the only Canadian Desert.

And I believe it was founded before Kelowna seeing it has both the South Thompson and North Thompson rivers.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 01:00 PM
just wanted to add how much you kick A$$ hahaha good to see this one out so soon! keep it up

Cool. I'll take it, thanks!

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 01:24 PM
You have kelowna in the City Listing but not Kamloops?

Kelowna is a 2 bit town with 1 highway in and the same highway out. it's a stagnent city with no future growth.

I've been to Kamloops. Beautiful city in a beautiful part of the country.

Kamloops is 86,491 in 2001. Kelowna is 147,739 in 2001, and has been growing faster than Kamloops.

The city of Kelowna is also significantly larger than the city of Kamloops. However, if you like I will add Kamloops at the next opportunity.

WaxonWaxov
Nov 14, 2005, 03:08 PM
It's unfortunate that what was a good thread on how to mod your own Civ has disgressed into a p!ssing match as to what City in Canada is bigger than another.
:rolleyes:

Gulio
Nov 14, 2005, 03:40 PM
Kamloops and Kelowna hate each other. It's part of our heritage. Our cities fight about everything.

yea, Kelowna is bigger (population) but Kamloops is just better ;) Kelowna isn't larger. Kamloops extends just before Sun peaks and all the way to Nutsford (all considered city limits).

Just for the heck of it:

Kelowna:
Kelowna’s population is now estimated to be 105,000 (the 2001 census estimated 96,235 residents).
http://www.city.kelowna.bc.ca/CM/Page130.aspx
Kelowna encompasses 262 square km

Kamloops:
http://www.city.kamloops.bc.ca/demographics/
City Area: 311 sq km (120 sq m)
Population: 80, 282 (2000)

Kamloops and Kelowna have always been rival cities. Every hockey game has at least 6 fights, every tournament ends in name calling / fights. Heck even our Mayor insults them, and theirs does the same to us. it's a great releationship.

Is there any plans for this mod to work with the realism mod?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 03:58 PM
Is there any plans for this mod to work with the realism mod?

To be honest, I haven't really looked at other mods other than a few civ mods. First, I'd like to see this mod be combined with the others out there to give uses a "mega mod" for Civs.

I'd hate to look at the realism mod changes to see what overlaps.

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 14, 2005, 06:36 PM
Of course. But Kootenay, Cape Breton and Saguenay are composed of places with some parity. That's why they use the region name. But again, these names are also metro names (unlike Saskatchewan or Tennessee).

Technically, it's called Cape Breton Regional Municipality. So if you want to be really accurate, you could do that :p

Chicoutimi-Jonquiere is now known as "Saguenay" by StatsCan. Cape Breton is indeed known as "Cape Breton". Kawarthas should be "Kawartha Lakes", so I'll change that.

Since it is officially known as Saguenay, it would make sense to call it that.

I've done some mixing and matching here - using metros for smaller areas (Cape Breton), but separating metros to get some cities (like Mississauga). Again, not a hill to die on. If people want it hard line, one way or the other, works for me.

I just find it weird having city names that aren't actually cities. I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to this. :p

True - they passed Edmonton in metro pop a few years back. I can graciously make this change if it will make you happy. ;)

It will :p

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 14, 2005, 06:52 PM
I have a ciy suggestion. Fit where you like if at all Fort McMurray. I think you aught to includ the place where a vast proportion of this nation's wealth lies.

goofydink
Nov 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
CANADA MOD - BETA 2

**RENAME FILE FROM ZIP TO RAR AND USE WINRAR**

**UPDATE Nov. 12/05**

Changes in Beta 2

Civilization
Techs: Hunting, Fishing
Leaders: William Lyon Mackenzie King, Pierre Trudeau
Flag: (current using England)

Leaders
(currently using Roosevelt leaderhead)

(currently using Alexander leaderhead)

(Currently using George Washingtong leaderhead)

(Currently using - ugh - Napoleon leaderhead)

Unique Unit
(uses Infantry art)
- 140 cost
- starts with 'March'

General Notes

- all civ, leaders, unit have Civilopedia entries but no translations (English appears for all languages)
- used TXT_KEYS for everything except city names (because that is a colossal waste of time - Quebec cities use French spellings)
- I cannot do graphics - not at all. For this reason leaderheads, icons and unit art are simply reused icons. I will gladly make the changes if I can get the art.

Again, all comments are welcome but if you disagree with anything, simply let me know. There's no need to tell me how stupid I am because I did this instead of that. ;)

To use, install to your 'Custom Assets' folder.

Sounds like a great mod, but I cannot get it to run, Help!

Kid_icoris
Nov 14, 2005, 10:36 PM
Kelowna is better then kamloops because we have better looking women ;)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 14, 2005, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a great mod, but I cannot get it to run, Help!

Rename .zip to .rar, unrar with WinRAR, place into CustomAssets.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 15, 2005, 06:28 AM
has there been any luck getting it to work out of the Mods folder? I'm working on a mod myself, and I'm having the same problem with the Canada one as with mine currently, as I can load it through the advanced/mod menu, but the new civ is not available to choose in either custom game or play now

I'm able to get Jecrell's Carthage mod to work fine this way, and I have compared lines of XML to no avail.. I have a feeling I'm missing something blatantly obvious, but thought I would ask if anyone had the Canada mod work when unzipped in to the Mods directory.. I even made an Assets directory under the mod folder and placed the xml and art folders there

I haven't tried the CustomAssets method, because I heard that there were problems with it.. plus the others seem to work in the mods folder.. the whole thing has me quite confused :confused:

Bhruic
Nov 15, 2005, 06:31 AM
I haven't tried the CustomAssets method, because I heard that there were problems with it.. plus the others seem to work in the mods folder.. the whole thing has me quite confused :confused:

Where would you try if not the CustomAssets folder? My take on it is that CustomAssets is where you put anything you want applied to the game in general, and Mods is where you put things you want to select to play. So far, I've put all of my mods in CustomAssets, because I want them to be applied in general.

Yes, you can have compatibility issues, if you are trying to put multiple mods in. I highly recommend using an inheritance model, as it makes putting multiple mods together much, much easier.

Bh

Tactician Zhao
Nov 15, 2005, 06:35 AM
Where would you try if not the CustomAssets folder? My take on it is that CustomAssets is where you put anything you want applied to the game in general, and Mods is where you put things you want to select to play. So far, I've put all of my mods in CustomAssets, because I want them to be applied in general.

Yes, you can have compatibility issues, if you are trying to put multiple mods in. I highly recommend using an inheritance model, as it makes putting multiple mods together much, much easier.

Bh

I'm using

\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\ModName\

I realize it will work applying it directly, but since other mods seem to work in the mods folder that way, I just want to make sure I can get it to do the same before I post it or anything.. because obviously I've done something wrong, or am overlooking something.. the mods directory seems to be what most people are aiming for, but maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree

Bhruic
Nov 15, 2005, 06:41 AM
No, I understand that you are using the Mods folder at this point. But the Mods folder is only for, well, Mods. :) Ie, things that you load by "Load a Mod". I don't think you can put things in there that work without using "Load a Mod". But perhaps I'm mistaken.

Bh

Tactician Zhao
Nov 15, 2005, 06:45 AM
No, I understand that you are using the Mods folder at this point. But the Mods folder is only for, well, Mods. :) Ie, things that you load by "Load a Mod". I don't think you can put things in there that work without using "Load a Mod". But perhaps I'm mistaken.

Bh

no, you're quite right.. but I am using the load mod function in the menu to load said mods.. so it should work, as it does with the Carthage and Israel mods.. I have all the equivalent files that both of those do, and theyre appropriately named..

I think I just made a typo or something in one of the XML files, so I will have to go over them line-by-line again :crazyeye:

Tactician Zhao
Nov 15, 2005, 07:39 AM
as a sidenote, I tried installing the mod into the CustomAssets folder as instructed, and it worked fine.. only now I can't seem to get rid of it.. the leaders still appear in the menu to select when starting a game, only it crashes if it cannot find the art referenced (as I tried removing by deleting all the files I added into the customassets folder).. I can put the art and text back and avoid a crash, but still can't figure out how to get it out, much less made it work via the mods folder :nuke:

perhaps there is some sort of XML cache I need to clear

edit: found the cache, and got rid of it from there.. sorry about that

Wyz_sub10
Nov 15, 2005, 01:46 PM
has there been any luck getting it to work out of the Mods folder? I'm working on a mod myself, and I'm having the same problem with the Canada one as with mine currently, as I can load it through the advanced/mod menu, but the new civ is not available to choose in either custom game or play now

You need to clear the cache in your My Games\name\Application Data\Civ4\cache file.

This, I think, is a bug on Firaxis' part - for some reason Mods do not override the cache.

There are no problems with the CustomAssets folder - it's the MODS folder in the MyGames directory that does not work properly (as opposed to the Mods folder in the Firaxis directory).

You can install it to CustomAssets and it won't harm anything. But trying clearing the cache and using the Mods folder. I'm stumped as to why this problem exists with the mod, but I did get it to work after clearing the cache.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 15, 2005, 01:48 PM
...the mods directory seems to be what most people are aiming for, but maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree

I agree, but I've yet to get an answer is to why that problem arises. I've compared my mod to the existing mods and to others and I cannot seem to find where the issue is (if one exists). The fact that it works under CustomAssets makes it even more confusing.

slaxton
Nov 15, 2005, 02:25 PM
first off, i have yet to give it a try but i love the concept of your mod and all the things youve done with it so far. thanks :)

now, id like to comment on the trans canada highway you suggested as a wonder.... i dont really know how well this will work, because the real trans canada goes from coast to coast, continuously throughout the country (would seem kinda stupid on an archipeligo map where youre lucky if you have two cities connected by a road, let alone your whole country). i do like the idea of trans-oceanic (cant call it trans-atlantic when the maps are randomly generated) communications as a wonder. i also like the CN tower (although you should add an additional technology in for it, microwave communications, a precursor to radar or something, that allows you to build a mircowave tower in your cities (that replaces existing radio towers, and gives a slight improvement over them, i dont recall what they do exactly or id give an example).
and then theres the nhl. its been kicked around a little as an idea for a wonder, but every seems to think that a collosseum in every city is a bit of a large bonus.... well me question is this: when would the nhl become available? sometime after refridgeration for sure, which if im not mistake is almost 3/4ths of the way into the game, when i typically have a collosseum built in atleast 80% of my cities, so the bonus wouldnt actually be that big on average.

and lastly Wyz_sub10, if you need a reskinner for any units or buildings or anything, my brother would be happy to help, hes been reskinning models for other games for years now and hes gotten really good at it. heck, if you know what program id need to use and how to access the existing models, i could even make you custom models to go with those skins :)

let me know if youre interested (this site allows you to email other users right? or was that a different one?)

Tactician Zhao
Nov 15, 2005, 08:59 PM
I agree, but I've yet to get an answer is to why that problem arises. I've compared my mod to the existing mods and to others and I cannot seem to find where the issue is (if one exists). The fact that it works under CustomAssets makes it even more confusing.

I never tried the My Games\Mods, I was trying the Mods directory under the actual game directory, which is where the others worked.. and I finally got mine to work there.. I can't offer any concrete steps of what I did, because I was half asleep and tried so many different things.. I do know that it involved using a single

GameTextInfos_Civname

rather than the three other xml files I had been using in \Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\ModName\Assets\XML\Text

though I didn't save my old work to compare to what I put in there, the main difference I remember was using the following text, which I didn't have anywhere in the other three files (not sure if the Canada mod has them or not, I was too frustrated to check at this point)

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_LEADER_LEADERNAME</Tag>
<English>Leader Name</English>
<French>Leader Name</French>
<German>Leader Name</German>
<Italian>Leader Name</Italian>
<Spanish>Leader Name</Spanish>
</TEXT>

if that doenst help, I'm sorry for cluttering your thread, but thats the only thing I can remember adding to get it to work the other way

Dusty4prez
Nov 15, 2005, 10:49 PM
oh noes my flag is just pure white any help?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
oh noes my flag is just pure white any help?

Check your Art folder (not the one in XML, but the one at the same level). You should have art\Interface\TeamColor\canada.dds

goofydink
Nov 15, 2005, 11:05 PM
CANADA MOD - BETA 2

**RENAME FILE FROM ZIP TO RAR AND USE WINRAR**

**UPDATE Nov. 12/05**

Changes in Beta 2

Civilization
Techs: Hunting, Fishing
Leaders: William Lyon Mackenzie King, Pierre Trudeau
Flag: (current using England)

Leaders
(currently using Roosevelt leaderhead)

(currently using Alexander leaderhead)

(Currently using George Washingtong leaderhead)

(Currently using - ugh - Napoleon leaderhead)

Unique Unit
(uses Infantry art)
- 140 cost
- starts with 'March'

General Notes

- all civ, leaders, unit have Civilopedia entries but no translations (English appears for all languages)
- used TXT_KEYS for everything except city names (because that is a colossal waste of time - Quebec cities use French spellings)
- I cannot do graphics - not at all. For this reason leaderheads, icons and unit art are simply reused icons. I will gladly make the changes if I can get the art.

Again, all comments are welcome but if you disagree with anything, simply let me know. There's no need to tell me how stupid I am because I did this instead of that. ;)

To use, install to your 'Custom Assets' folder.

just wanted to let you know that the mod is working now. Thanx for your help!!:)

Dusty4prez
Nov 15, 2005, 11:06 PM
yes it is there

Wyz_sub10
Nov 16, 2005, 02:37 AM
first off, i have yet to give it a try but i love the concept of your mod and all the things youve done with it so far. thanks :)

now, id like to comment on the trans canada highway you suggested as a wonder.... i dont really know how well this will work, because the real trans canada goes from coast to coast, continuously throughout the country (would seem kinda stupid on an archipeligo map where youre lucky if you have two cities connected by a road, let alone your whole country).

I was referring to the Trans Canadian Railroad, actually. But your point still stands. A possible result from this wonder would be improved trade/income. It wouldn't create the rail (not sure that's even possible). I can see where there concept would be weird on some maps, though.

i do like the idea of trans-oceanic (cant call it trans-atlantic when the maps are randomly generated) communications as a wonder. i also like the CN tower (although you should add an additional technology in for it, microwave communications, a precursor to radar or something, that allows you to build a mircowave tower in your cities (that replaces existing radio towers, and gives a slight improvement over them, i dont recall what they do exactly or id give an example).

:goodjob: cool idea.

and then theres the nhl. its been kicked around a little as an idea for a wonder, but every seems to think that a collosseum in every city is a bit of a large bonus.... well me question is this: when would the nhl become available? sometime after refridgeration for sure, which if im not mistake is almost 3/4ths of the way into the game, when i typically have a collosseum built in atleast 80% of my cities, so the bonus wouldnt actually be that big on average.

Very true.

and lastly Wyz_sub10, if you need a reskinner for any units or buildings or anything, my brother would be happy to help, hes been reskinning models for other games for years now and hes gotten really good at it. heck, if you know what program id need to use and how to access the existing models, i could even make you custom models to go with those skins :)

let me know if youre interested (this site allows you to email other users right? or was that a different one?)

Oh yeah, big time interested. I'll PM you with some info. Thanks!

colonel_angus
Nov 16, 2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah, same problem as Dusty......just getting a white flag, and yes the .dds file is in the correct directory.

Angus

Wyz_sub10
Nov 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, same problem as Dusty......just getting a white flag, and yes the .dds file is in the correct directory.

Angus

First of all, :goodjob: on the username.

Okay...there is a tag in the art XML file that goes between '1' and '0'. 1 means that a white background is used while 0 is for no background. The .dds overlays on this background.

It seems you have the right XML files, seeing as you are getting the white background and all. What isn't working is the dds file overlaying. That's why I asked if you had it in the right place.

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll try and replicate the error by removing the dds file, then putting it back.

It may be that when you put it in for the first time you might have to do a cache clear. I don't know. It was one of those things that worked for me so I didn't have to troubleshoot.

Let me try to replicate the problem later. In the meantime, try clearing the cache and reapplying the mod to CustomAssets, start over and see if you still have the problem.

ETA: Just to add...the fact that some people are having this problem while others aren't leads me to believe that the issue isn't with the files but with the way the game applies them.

It's like running mods from the Firaxis mod directory - some people have problems, others don't. For me, I couldn't get the damn thing to load until I cleared the cache. Very sloppy.

MANLADY
Nov 16, 2005, 10:10 PM
where's everyone's favourite PM?

Paul Martin: Dispirited (-10% culture production in all cities), Desperate (-50% tax revenues, +0 happiness in all cities)

UU: actors (replaces missionary) that has the same stats, but 20% cheaper to build (due to a cheaper dollar.)

"Special" Wonder: Parliament Hill (anarchy last 10 turns, changes are promised, but never occur)

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 17, 2005, 01:41 AM
I finally had a chance to get some Canada Corps into actioin in my last game. They are really good and I enjoy how they keep march when upgraded to Mech infantry. The thing that I really thought was wierd is how far apart they stand from each other, Most other units stay tight. Is there some reason for this or did it just happened to occur. Awesome mod wyz, keep up the great work, and Sir John A. for the win!

colonel_angus
Nov 17, 2005, 11:22 AM
Tried to load up my savegame of the Canada Mod today...and got a CTD. Now, none of my savegames load....so not sure what is wrong on my end. Can start a new game no problem though.

Angus

Oh, and still no Canada flag :(

Wyz_sub10
Nov 17, 2005, 12:52 PM
Tried to load up my savegame of the Canada Mod today...and got a CTD. Now, none of my savegames load....so not sure what is wrong on my end. Can start a new game no problem though.

Angus

Oh, and still no Canada flag :(

Did you use the Mod directory from c:\Program Files\Firaxis|Civ4\Mods or C:\My Documents\My Games\Civ4\Mods?

There is a known issue with the latter directory that causes this very problem. It might also be why the flag isn't showing correctly.

1c0n
Nov 17, 2005, 02:19 PM
this being my 1st mod, i know i installed it wrong, i put it in the assets folder and overwrote files :| woops. gonna do a fresh install, update to new Nvidia drivers and try again.

also i wanted to add, that the AI will randomly pick canada aswel. which is cool, they come out pretty strong, but not unbalanced, atleast not on noble. and its nice to ally with someone for once, i have a real peave against allying in civ, always have, maybe thats why noble is the most i can handle. but i feel good about feeding Canada some techs haha... to bad they sell them off so quick

ThugLife76
Nov 17, 2005, 02:22 PM
I can't get your mod to work

Wyz_sub10
Nov 17, 2005, 03:36 PM
I can't get your mod to work

I'm going to need a bit more info.

1c0n
Nov 17, 2005, 03:38 PM
me neither, last time i installed it i put it in the assets folder, overwriting files, this time after a new install of civ, i put it in custom assets and it doesnt work, i tried it in mods too but no go there either

1c0n
Nov 17, 2005, 03:42 PM
duh... cleared cache, works now... still no flag tho
and is there a way to make it work with the realism mod? i know thats been asked before

Wyz_sub10
Nov 17, 2005, 04:56 PM
duh... cleared cache, works now... still no flag tho
and is there a way to make it work with the realism mod? i know thats been asked before

The flag thing is a bit of a mystery but I'll jeep looking into it.

To work with the realism mod the XML files common to the two need to be merged. This is not necessarily difficult but tedious. Maybe when both mods are in a final format I can look at combining the two.

ThugLife76
Nov 17, 2005, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Wyz_sub10]You need to clear the cache in your My Games\name\Application Data\Civ4\cache file.

I don't have an My Games\name\Application Data\Civ4\cache file.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 17, 2005, 10:37 PM
I don't have an My Games\name\Application Data\Civ4\cache file.

It should be:

C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

Delete the files in this folder (and only this folder) to clear the cache.

If you install this mod to CustomAssets at this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets

...it should work without having to clear the cache file.

Note the difference in the two paths above.

ThugLife76
Nov 18, 2005, 09:14 AM
It should be:

C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

Delete the files in this folder (and only this folder) to clear the cache.

If you install this mod to CustomAssets at this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets

...it should work without having to clear the cache file.

Note the difference in the two paths above.

I followed exactly what u said and there is no C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache. Sorry if i'm bugging u.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 18, 2005, 09:26 AM
I followed exactly what u said and there is no C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache. Sorry if i'm bugging u.

the Application Data folder is hidden, I believe.. my only thought, is do you have view hidden files and folder option turned on? if so, I'm not sure where else it would be

colonel_angus
Nov 18, 2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, the .rar thing was the problem I guess. Installed it on my laptop and it worked there; tried to redo it on my desktop, but still no flag there. Oh well.

Bruce

Wyz_sub10
Nov 18, 2005, 12:10 PM

If you want, PM me with the folders you have listed under "Documents and Settings" and I'll try to find the one that should contain it.

But as Tactician Zhao said, it may be hidden. Select the C: drive and select 'Folder Options' under 'Tools' in Windows Explorer. Then selec the 'View' tab and click on the 'Show Hidden Folders' option to ensure that you can see hidden folders.

Either way, though, you should be able to fin Application Data\My Games.

What version of Windows are you running?

ThugLife76
Nov 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks Wyz sub10 and Tactician Zhao i got it great now i can play it thanks again

Silk_0
Nov 18, 2005, 03:46 PM
No no no, these suggestions for adding the NHL are wrong. It shouldn't be added as a National Wonder.

It should be added as a religion! :D

I mean, the Temples themselves could be the arenas. The bring in culture and happiness, so that makes sense. As for the Missionaries, places where you get knowledge and culture, where else would you get that in the NHL religion than watching a good 'ol hockey game at Don Cherry's! Imagine, building little Don Cherrys to run around spreading the NHL religion.

Now THAT would be a great Canadian mod. ;)

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 18, 2005, 04:13 PM
I refuse to play a game with Don Cherry in it. :p

Silk_0
Nov 18, 2005, 04:23 PM
Blasphemer ;)

slaxton
Nov 18, 2005, 05:13 PM
i just figure i should let everyone know, my brother has started work on the canadian corps skin... the only setback: his copy of photoshop isnt working right at the moment so he has to reinstall it (and hes lazy...)
although i can say for sure he should have something for us by the end of the weekend at the latest :)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 18, 2005, 05:40 PM
i just figure i should let everyone know, my brother has started work on the canadian corps skin... the only setback: his copy of photoshop isnt working right at the moment so he has to reinstall it (and hes lazy...)
although i can say for sure he should have something for us by the end of the weekend at the latest :)

:goodjob:

Someone was looking into getting the leaderhead pics to work properly. I'll see where that's at.

The last big "to do" is getting the proper icons (maple leaf in the civpedia rather than the British cross).

slaxton
Nov 19, 2005, 12:29 AM
:
The last big "to do" is getting the proper icons (maple leaf in the civpedia rather than the British cross).

i could do that one for you myself, probably even tonight. all i have to do is figure out what that icon is called.... i'll go through the art files again and see what i can find

edit:
found it, workin on it now

slaxton
Nov 19, 2005, 03:58 AM
all set. havent tried it out in game at all, but with luck it will look just as good there :)

edit:
well, ive come to realise that i didnt clean up the ripples in the flag properly, it wouldnt be a hard thing to alter, but seeing as how all of the other civs flag buttons were done on the same background (i checked. sadly a blank wasnt included), it might not be so bad to have it be even more unique.
so yeah, as i said earlier, let me know what you all think, take a look at the bottom of japans civ button and compare it with the one i came up with.

thanks for your input :)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 19, 2005, 03:13 PM
That's awesome, thank you.

I'm not exactly sure where this one goes, though. (what XML line to edit) I know about the flag location, but not the button.

LAnkou
Nov 19, 2005, 03:44 PM
just a line up....don't forget to delete any references to the atlas button
it goes ike this
<button>art/..../canada.dds, art/.../atlassomething.dds,5,7<button>
erase the second part

Wyz_sub10
Nov 19, 2005, 03:49 PM
just a line up....don't forget to delete any references to the atlas button
it goes ike this
<button>art/..../canada.dds, art/.../atlassomething.dds,5,7<button>
erase the second part

But isn't there one for the flag (units) and one for the button? Or maybe I put one in the wrong location...?

LAnkou
Nov 19, 2005, 03:55 PM
no the reference to the unit button is in the Civ4Unitinfos.xml file. near the unit art reference.

If you look for the atlas described, it is a panel of button in my example, 5 is the column and 7 is the line, so it will in priority show the button in the atlas.
If you erase the atlas reference, it will show the first reference...

slaxton
Nov 19, 2005, 04:26 PM
well the other flag buttons are in:
art\interface\buttons\civilizations

i havent checked but there may be a line where it just specifies a file, not a path in the other civs, in what case, what i read on another forum post about putting graphics files in the custom assets folder with the same file tree as it came out of might apply....

edit:
oh, i should point out that the other civilizations flag buttons are just called america.dds, arabia.dds, etc, so if you see that in the xml file, thats probably the line

Cybercollector
Nov 19, 2005, 08:39 PM
I've been following this thread closely. I did a little addition for the mod, I converted all 4 PM's picture in a 512x512 dds format and made their buttons. I did not test them, since I do not know how exactly does XML work.

This is my first attempt at making this, so feedback is welcome.

http://www.geocities.com/cybercollector18/Canada_Mod_DDS.zip

Hope it helps! :)
-CC

I added a couple of examples bellow of what I did:

Wyz_sub10
Nov 19, 2005, 10:59 PM
I'll see if I can integrate these ASAP. Thanks!!

slaxton
Nov 19, 2005, 11:05 PM
my brothers been busy for the last few days, so since my success with that button has bolstered my confidence ive started workig on a canadian corps skin. my only problem, what colour should it be? i tried a dark green but its really hard to see any definition with very dark colours

PeteT
Nov 19, 2005, 11:07 PM
Wyz_sub10,

Check your PM's

Edit: I thought I sent you a PM late last night; but I certainly have now.

ThugLife76
Nov 19, 2005, 11:15 PM
what about Confederation Bridge, connecting New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island together for a wonder

The extremely impressive Confederation Bridge which links Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick on the mainland of Canada opened in the spring of 1997. It is a concrete bridge and is traffic using it is subject to a toll. It carries the Trans-Canada Highway, Highway 1.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 19, 2005, 11:19 PM
I like the idea.

I want to next intergrate a few great people and wonders into the game. For people, I made a huge list, but will likely add only 3-4. For wonders, I'll add 2 or so, and the Confed Bridge is a great idea.

ThugLife76
Nov 19, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks just trying to be helpful because i want this to be the best civ on this site

Wyz_sub10
Nov 19, 2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks just trying to be helpful because i want this to be the best civ on this site

That makes two of us. :) Take a look at the current wonders and see what you think the Confed Bridge requires. Engineering is a must, but something else later on in the game as well.

As a bonus, maybe commerce? Small culture bonus?

LAnkou
Nov 20, 2005, 02:06 AM
for the great people, they are just name list, you can add as many as you want, it won't change anything

slaxton
Nov 20, 2005, 03:33 AM
well i havent tested it in game yet, but i think i found the prefect shade for the uniform for the canadian corps skin :)
i should be putting in serveral hours tomorrow, i might even have something worth posting (at the very least, i'll have a screenshot)

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 20, 2005, 11:46 AM
IS there any news on a possible update wyz?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 20, 2005, 01:43 PM
I have most of the files I need. Once slaxton gets the skin, we're about set. (But give him time - he's doing this for fun, so let's not rush him)

In the next update, I'll add a couple of Wonders.

I also have another mod on the horizon. :) Like the Canada mod, it'll start with reused graphics.

slaxton
Nov 20, 2005, 03:42 PM
i just tested something you all might be interested to hear about.... to make a high definition texture, all you have to do is increase the size (ive only tried doubling it, 128x128 to 256x256, but it worked like a charm).

so we're gonna have a high def skin :)
and to all those who are worried about "my computer has enough trouble running this as it is, a high def skin will kill me" i'll include a normal def one aswell

O.H.Dog
Nov 20, 2005, 06:28 PM
I noticed a lot of people suggesting the Mountie as a UU. I think the RCMP belongs as a national wonder. What it really did for Canada was to supply police service to remote areas and to towns too small to afford their own police. Canada did not have the "wild west" the way the US did partly because of the RCMP.

In Civ3 I added the RCMP wonder which gave a police station in every city (partly because I hated the gross corruption of ICS.) In Civ4 it is a bit difficult to think what effect it should have. Perhaps +1 happiness in all cities.

The challenge with wonders is to keep game balance. Just +1 turns out to be a huge difference. I found that by going for cultural victory.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 20, 2005, 07:08 PM
In Civ3 I added the RCMP wonder which gave a police station in every city (partly because I hated the gross corruption of ICS.) In Civ4 it is a bit difficult to think what effect it should have. Perhaps +1 happiness in all cities.

The challenge with wonders is to keep game balance. Just +1 turns out to be a huge difference. I found that by going for cultural victory.

I like this idea.

For national wonders, I'll look into adding the Confed Bridge and the RCMP. Maybe others. :)

slaxton
Nov 20, 2005, 11:40 PM
edit: updated and moved picture to later post

so far all i have done is the coat (well, almost done, i still have to add some pockets, and some buttons). im gonna get to work on the pants in a few minutes, the helmet after that, and then the socks. the pants are gonna be lighter then the coat, and the socks will be a little lighter then those. i'll leave the shoes. oh, and im gonna make the helmet a darker shade then the coat, and see about making the band alot thinner.

and just for the record, i am working from an actual picture, problem is its black and white. i did my best to find colour pictures of real uniforms from that era but it was a little hard, so i just did my best. i hope everyone likes what they see :)

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 21, 2005, 12:00 AM
I like it alot.

I hope that soldier in the top left doesn't accidentally shoot himself. That would turn into quite a mess. ;)

slaxton
Nov 21, 2005, 12:07 AM
lol, he was doing the idle animation, where he pulls out a map.
oh, lol, on that note, the map used to be the same colour as the coat... well, um, its still the same colour as the coat... so its gone dark green. but theres not much i can do about that, i have no idea what part of the skin is the map (and right now im not willing to do all the testing id need to to figure it out... theres no obvious spot where it could be)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 21, 2005, 12:22 AM
Okay - we're almost done! In addition to Bad_ronald's unit flag, the mod now has slaxton's Canada button, and Cybercollector's leaderheads and leaderhead buttons!

Thanks guys!

slaxton seems to be doing awesome with the Canada Corps. That leaves the two wonders I am working on (don't get too excited - they'll be pretty bland in the first cut) and a couple of people to add to the Great Persons list.

After that, I think that'll be pretty much it!

slaxton
Nov 21, 2005, 02:59 AM
edit: img in later post

pants are done, im thinking the socks may be fine the way they are, still gotta do the helmet and the additional pockets need to be added to the front/bottom of the coat, not to mention the buttons, but its almost done :)

edit:
helmets done now too :)
id finish up on the coat now, but its rather late and i want to get to bed. plus im still not sure about the socks, i may redo them.

so i'll get that done tomorrow, i'll probably try to fix the map they pull out when they're just standing around too.
my brother has expressed an interest in redoing the face, and seeing as how just about all of the pictures of canadian corps officers i was able to find had mustaches, i think i'll let him (as long as he finishes it tomorrow, well, today... lol, its almost 5am).

oh, and i tried to make the colour band on the helmet smaller but it seems thats not controlled by the skin. too bad, being a UU that band isnt really important

lol, this is the third thing im adding to the end of this post (that i ment to include but almost forgot)
if you need a skin for the wonders, send me a pm.

Airlik
Nov 21, 2005, 03:14 PM
After playing most of a game with it, the only thing I have against it right now is that playing my own country makes me play much more nicely with the other civs ;) I skipped slavery, and am working for a "peace in our time" type of victory... I think I have to go back to playing someone else next game :D

edit: PS - I need to post the screenshot... not long into the game I came across something I hadn't seen before (so who knows, maybe it's common)... a snow square surrounded with beaver resources. I had to get a screenie of my scout with the flag standing in the middle of them... it was too rich.

slaxton
Nov 21, 2005, 03:46 PM
so ive been told that a brown helmet and tan pants would be more historically accurate. disappointing, means its gonna take longer to finish it...

im gonna go see if i can find any more pictures of that era uniforms that are in colour

edit:

ive found the colour im gonna use on the pants, its kinda tan, and the foot wraps (ive been corrected about them, theyarent socks) are gonna have their current colour mixed with the colour im using on the pants.

if anyone has any colour photos of a ww1 era canadian uniform, or knows where to find them online, please let me know, im tryin to be as accurate as i can be, and from what ive been able to find, my colours are way off.

Arcys
Nov 21, 2005, 07:30 PM
I found an expiditionary uniform http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_570.asp?flash=1&page_id=614

also some of these propaganda posters might be useful http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/canada.htm

slaxton
Nov 21, 2005, 09:25 PM
well i decided to finish the one i had mostly done, release that one, and then just release another version later on

Wyz_sub10
Nov 22, 2005, 02:10 AM
Beta 3 posted as a link (my bandwith may not last long, so I'll have to see where to move it if I run out).

- added slaxton's skins for Canada Corps and flag button
- added Cybercollector's leaderheads and leaderhead buttons
- added a bit of text in 'Strategies'

To do:

- National Wonders (I'm still learning the files)
- Great People additions
- slaxton's skin - version 2
- custom button for Canada Corps

Cybercollector
Nov 22, 2005, 12:42 PM
No problem! It looks great! :goodjob:
I'd suggest editing your first post, it took me a while to figure out where's the link, since you can't click it. I managed to get it another way:
www.canadatrack.com\CanadaMod_Beta 3.zip

Glad my leaderheads helped :)

Good job Slaxton and Wyz_sub10!

-CC

P.S.
For another world wonder, the obvious one, the CN tower.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'd suggest editing your first post, it took me a while to figure out where's the link, since you can't click it.

Really? I just tried clicking the link and it work just fine. Hmmm...I'll see if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks again for your work. Interested in doing LH's for my First Peoples mod? (or did I PM you about this already?)

Wyz_sub10
Nov 22, 2005, 01:10 PM
I found an expiditionary uniform http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/en/image_570.asp?flash=1&page_id=614

also some of these propaganda posters might be useful http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/canada.htm

Awesome lniks, thanks. I loved looking through the posters.

The first link has a terrific shot of the WWI uniforms, and could maybe be used for the button....?

slaxton
Nov 22, 2005, 01:41 PM
sorry i forgot to do a unit button, it totally slipped my mind. im getting to work on it now.

and thanks alot Arcys for the links, i found one more propaganda poster aswell, it may be in french but apparently the colours are almost bang on. i'll use those links for reference for sure though :)

Ktulu
Nov 22, 2005, 03:33 PM
Looks to be coming along very well, I'll give it a try for my next game. Nice work.

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 22, 2005, 05:11 PM
First off, awesome job Slaxton and Wyz. I am really looking forward to the final product.

Secondly, what do you have in the way of National wonders planned for the next update. I heard talk of the Confederation Bridge and talk of the RCMP. If you are looking for a good effect for the RCMP to have maybe a court room in each city. For the Bridge +1 great engineer and +1 commerce +1 Production. For required techs maybe facism for RCMP since it is a police thing and combution or industrialism for the bridge because it is a very advanced bridge. Just a couple of suggestions.

Lastly where is the link for Beta 3? I can't find it in the first post.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 22, 2005, 05:32 PM
First off, awesome job Slaxton and Wyz. I am really looking forward to the final product.

Thank you. Slaxton and Cybercollector deserve the lion's share on this one, though.

Secondly, what do you have in the way of National wonders planned for the next update. I heard talk of the Confederation Bridge and talk of the RCMP. If you are looking for a good effect for the RCMP to have maybe a court room in each city. For the Bridge +1 great engineer and +1 commerce +1 Production. For required techs maybe facism for RCMP since it is a police thing and combution or industrialism for the bridge because it is a very advanced bridge. Just a couple of suggestions.

I like these suggestions - they certainly sound like a good starting (if not ending) point. I'm still figuring out the XML files for buildings. If anyone is more acquainted with these then me, let me know.

Lastly where is the link for Beta 3? I can't find it in the first post.

The link is right at the top of the post. It appears fine (and works fine) from both my home and work computers. Let me know if you have a problem with it.

LAnkou
Nov 22, 2005, 05:59 PM
if you manage to get these national wonders working, could tell me if it has any repercussion on the xml files used for a new civ?

BlowPhish
Nov 22, 2005, 06:04 PM
Is there a link somewhere I missed to download this mod?

Cybercollector
Nov 22, 2005, 06:10 PM
www.canadatrack.com\CanadaMod_Beta 3.zip

Here you go, you should copy and paste it in the browser for it to work.

The problem is that the file name has no _ between Beta and 3, thus breaking the link.

asaegyn
Nov 22, 2005, 11:58 PM
hey guys, great work on the patch, it's awesome.

however, i can't seem to download the mod

there is this link
http://www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod_Beta 3.zip

but that just ends up going to the canada track site. dunno where else to get it.

re national wonder - i mite add something along the lines of penecilling - so maybe a university hospital - say it increases the effect of univeristy and hospital by some sort of balanced factor?

just a thought.

cheers.

colonel_angus
Nov 23, 2005, 01:05 AM
I think the link on page 1 of this forum has the updated file :)
That's where it has always been!

Angus

asaegyn
Nov 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
no luck there either :(

this is the link im trying: http://www.canadatrack.com\canadamod_beta3.zip/
i get this error:
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Client sent malformed Host header

Apache/1.3.27 Server at host.buyihosting.com Port 80

i tried this as well: http://www.canadatrack.com/canadamod_beta3.zip/
while this one sends me to the can track page.

so it's just me? damnit! :D

Arcys
Nov 23, 2005, 09:12 AM
no luck there either :(

this is the link im trying: http://www.canadatrack.com\canadamod_beta3.zip/
i get this error:

i tried this as well: http://www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod_Beta3.zip/
while this one sends me to the can track page.

so it's just me? damnit! :D

Well you have to use the right capitalization and the trailing / is causing problems try http://www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod_Beta3.zip

Wyz_sub10
Nov 23, 2005, 10:02 AM
I tried fixing the link and when I click it now it seems fine...but it seemed fine before too. :confused:

BlowPhish
Nov 23, 2005, 11:53 AM
If you copy and paste the link and then remove the http and have just www. It will work. THIS LINK WORKS!! www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod_Beta3.zip Haven't had alot of time to try out the mod yet but looks good from what I saw. Are there custom great people? Like Alexander Graham Bell?

TylerDurdon
Nov 23, 2005, 02:13 PM
so does the founder of the Raelian cult (I think they're based in Quebec, aren't they?)

Argh!!!! Rael even make it too here...:confused: it was the last place I ever thought to see him!!! gush!!! hes everywhere.... in a thousand years people will takes him for jesus or something!! :lol:

purplexus
Nov 23, 2005, 03:48 PM

I Can't Believe My Eyes!!!!
Roflmfao

R-A-N-M-A
Nov 23, 2005, 05:11 PM
I think following a sucessful true to life Canada mod, you should do a joke sterotypical Canada mod. WIth seal clubbers and mounties and cities not being able to grow larger than 1, with some added relgions like Tim Hortans and Hockey.

I finally got the link to work, wohoo reskinned Canada corps here I come.

I am sorry I left you out in my other thank you, so thanks Cybercollector. You guys are doing a bang up job.

slaxton
Nov 23, 2005, 06:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/slaxton01/canadiancorps.jpg

did my best on the button but i havent been able to get it to replace the original one. havent really tried to hard, but i dont have time right now.
the red strip on the helmet of the button has been removed, i just forgot to update the picture

Wyz_sub10
Nov 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
if you manage to get these national wonders working, could tell me if it has any repercussion on the xml files used for a new civ?

It won't affect the Civ-specific files...at least not that I can see. But once I get it done (it will take a while) I will certainly let you know.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 23, 2005, 11:26 PM
Regarding the 1.09 patch, apparently a few files have to be changed. I'll do that hopefully on Thursday night but maybe not until very, very late Friday.

slaxton
Nov 24, 2005, 02:24 PM
ive updated the canadian corps skin once again, its much more historically accurate now.
the file can be found at:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=142544

Wyz_sub10
Nov 26, 2005, 04:30 AM
Updated to Final 1.03

More graphic updates from slaxton, now fully compatible with 1.09.

BlowPhish
Nov 26, 2005, 10:35 AM
Once again link not working for me. This time I can't figure out how to get it either. Help anyone? I'm using firefox browser. I've tried 10 different combinations and none work. They all just bring me to the webpage but no file.

cvickers
Nov 26, 2005, 11:00 AM
Once again link not working for me. This time I can't figure out how to get it either. Help anyone? I'm using firefox browser. I've tried 10 different combinations and none work. They all just bring me to the webpage but no file.

I'm having the same problem. Perhaps there's a typo in the file name in the post - or the new file was uploaded with a typo in the name. I tried it on IE and in Firefox.

BlowPhish
Nov 26, 2005, 11:01 AM
Well I got it work. Went looking in my programs folder for the dusty old Internet Explorer to download it.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
That's really odd because when I upload it, I then try downloading it from home and also from work - both work fine. If I can access it from my crappy comp at work (behind a gov firewall) I can't understand why others would be having problems.

I'll definitely re-check the spelling and naming, though.

cvickers - so you get to the homepage of the website and it stops there?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Okay, I've checked the name and re-named it to something simpler. It seems to work fine for me (I have IE).

It might be individual security settings, I'm not sure. But if you cannot download it, use the email below the link and I'll mail it to you. It's about 1.4 MB in size.

I tried breaking up the file to post but the site doesn't recognize the 'z01' format for split ZIP files.

If someone has another hosting idea, let me know. Thanks for your patience.

canucksrule19
Nov 26, 2005, 05:49 PM
your link:
http://www.canadatrack.com\canadamod.zip/

should be
http://www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod.zip

that should work now

Pounder
Nov 26, 2005, 09:54 PM
I have unzipped it into the custom assets folder, everything shows up where it is supposed to when I open the folders everything is there.

When I start the game there is no indication of any Canadian Civ, not in the Civilopedia, anywhere. I have restarted the computer to make sure there was a clean start, no luck.

Any one else having the same trouble, I also loaded bad ronalds flags, same problem.

I have loaded three other mods (2 python mods (screens folder) and the blue marble terrain mod), they run fine.

Are these supposed to show up in the regular game (starting at play now).

SuperBeaverInc.
Nov 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
Did you load them into the Mod folder?

If so, then you have to go Advanced then Load a Mod, and all the ones you have will appear there.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 26, 2005, 10:41 PM
I have unzipped it into the custom assets folder, everything shows up where it is supposed to when I open the folders everything is there.

When I start the game there is no indication of any Canadian Civ, not in the Civilopedia, anywhere. I have restarted the computer to make sure there was a clean start, no luck.

Next time you start Civ4, hold down shift (I think this clears the cache as per 1.09). Otherwise, go to /Application Data/My Games/Sid Meier's Civ4/cache and empty the folder.

If you installed them to Custom Assets in My Documents/My Games... then it should show up regardless. I've installed them after 1.09 and everything shows up fine. Have you tried using Custom Assets in the past?

Wyz_sub10
Nov 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
your link:
http://www.canadatrack.com\canadamod.zip/

should be
http://www.canadatrack.com/CanadaMod.zip

that should work now

:rolleyes: D'OH!

Fixed, thank you.

Pounder
Nov 27, 2005, 05:49 AM
Next time you start Civ4, hold down shift (I think this clears the cache as per 1.09). Otherwise, go to /Application Data/My Games/Sid Meier's Civ4/cache and empty the folder.

If you installed them to Custom Assets in My Documents/My Games... then it should show up regardless. I've installed them after 1.09 and everything shows up fine. Have you tried using Custom Assets in the past?

That did the trick. Thanks

I have loaded 3 other mods into the custom assets folder, 2 of them since 1.09. This is the first time I have had to hold shift, I will keep it in mind in the future.

Pounder
Nov 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
Question #1) <Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_CANADA</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/Canada_button.dds</Button>
<Path>Art/Interface/TeamColor/Canada.dds</Path>
<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>
</CivilizationArtInfo>
<CivilizationArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_CHINA</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/China.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,5,5</Button>
<Path>Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Dragon.dds</Path>
<bWhiteFlag>0</bWhiteFlag>
</CivilizationArtInfo>
<CivilizationArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_EGYPT</Type>

The Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,5,5 that is bolded above, I noticed that Canada is the only one that doesn't have an assignment.

Just curious as to what it is for and why there is no assignment to Canada, what impact will it have on the game.

Question #2)

I am trying to use Bad Ronalds flags with your mod, but it seems that it is one mod or the other as you over write each others files. I would like to have his new American and French flags plus a few others. Can't figure out how to make work.

Wyz_sub10
Nov 27, 2005, 10:28 AM
The Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,5,5 that is bolded above, I noticed that Canada is the only one that doesn't have an assignment.

None that I'm aware of. I believe that simply calls the artwork from the compressed art file. If you don't have it in, the artwork used is always the first in the list (i.e. Canada.dds).

I am trying to use Bad Ronalds flags with your mod, but it seems that it is one mod or the other as you over write each others files. I would like to have his new American and French flags plus a few others. Can't figure out how to make work.

You can do this by editing the XML document and putting his artwork in the right folder. Search for 'Canada.dds' in the CustomAssets. This is where Ronald's flags need to go. Then edit the lines of the civs (US, France) to match the format of the Canada one, using the new flag name and deleting the Atlas reference.

I think he has a tutorial in his thread.

colonel_angus
Dec 02, 2005, 02:37 PM
Will this mod ever be completed so that it can be used as a Mod from the Advanced menu??? Because, It made my version incompatible with a friends version when we tried multiplayer. And I couldn't seem to get rid of it afterwards. Had to reinstall Civ4 so I could play multiplayer with friends. They did not have the Canada Mod BTW.

Bruce

Wyz_sub10
Dec 02, 2005, 05:35 PM
Will this mod ever be completed so that it can be used as a Mod from the Advanced menu??? Because, It made my version incompatible with a friends version when we tried multiplayer. And I couldn't seem to get rid of it afterwards. Had to reinstall Civ4 so I could play multiplayer with friends. They did not have the Canada Mod BTW.

Bruce

It's been useable as a mod since Beta2. Simply create a folder called 'Canada Mod' in your Mods folder and put the info there rather than in CustomAssets. Check to see how the other mods are set up. I think you need 2 folders - 'Canada Mod', then 'Assets', then the stuff in the ZIP.

If you want to get rid of it after you've installed it to Custom Assets, just delete the contents of your CustomAssets folder.

If your friends didn't have it installed, then you probably got some sync issues - you had Peter listed as Spain instead of Russia (or something like that) because your Assets and your opponents Assets didn't align correctly.

Let me know if you need further help.

Dionysis
Dec 03, 2005, 03:31 PM
So I created a "Canada MOD" under the MOD folder under the main game folder's MOD folder (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods). The extra "(x86)" is in the path because I am running Win XP-64. I am also running the 1.09 patch.

I can load the MOD but after doing so, I still can not see Canada in the list of civilizations nor any of the Canadian leaders when I set up a customized or "Play Now" single player game.

Any help would be appreciated.

btw, great mod and thanks for all your efforts!

LAnkou
Dec 03, 2005, 06:40 PM
what is in the zop file should be placed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Canada\assets

not directly in the canada folder

Wyz_sub10
Dec 04, 2005, 01:09 PM
I'll add some instructions on the front page for clarity.

Chopperhead
Dec 04, 2005, 05:00 PM
just out of curiosity will anyone be creating an enitrely new unit for the mod eventually and not just a re-skined one?? also I think you should give the UU alittle extra power rating maybe 22 or something just to give alittle extra advantage over regular infantry.

Wyz_sub10
Dec 04, 2005, 05:23 PM
For the UU's abilities, I followed the pattern of other units. Sometimes the UU gets a strength bonus, but often (especially for gunpowder units) the bonuses are applied elsewhere (i.e. Navy SEALs...)

For the Canada Corps, the advantage over regular infantry comes from an extra 1 movement and starting with 'March' (all for the same build cost). In a big war of attrition those things mean a lot.

As for the graphics, I have to rely on others to help me out on this. New animations for Civ4 aren't really possible until SDK comes along, so we'll see what happens then. Until that time, re-skinning is about the best that can be done (and I have been very fortunate to haev slaxton take the lead on this).

normy_28
Dec 05, 2005, 10:51 AM
somme error with the infantry unit

RCR Royal Canadien Regiment
R22R Royal 22e regiment (Vandoos)
PPCLI Patricia princess Canadian light infantry
RMR Royal montreal Regiment
Regiment de Maisoneuve
Regiment du Fusillier du Mont-Royal
Voltigeur de Québec.....one of the first infantry regiments in Canada...they beat americain in Chatauguay
PLF Princess Louis Fusilier
WNSH West Nova Scotia Regiment
Montreal Black Watch
etc etc

Wyz_sub10
Dec 05, 2005, 12:47 PM
somme error with the infantry unit

RCR Royal Canadien Regiment
R22R Royal 22e regiment (Vandoos)
PPCLI Patricia princess Canadian light infantry
RMR Royal montreal Regiment
Regiment de Maisoneuve
Regiment du Fusillier du Mont-Royal
Voltigeur de Québec.....one of the first infantry regiments in Canada...they beat americain in Chatauguay
PLF Princess Louis Fusilier
WNSH West Nova Scotia Regiment
Montreal Black Watch
etc etc

Can you be more specific?

The Van Doos are included as are Princess Patricia's (Voltigeurs are too, aren't they?). I couldn't include everything - I just took a sample. But I can add a few more if you think I am missing some significant ones.

For some of the ones you mention, could you include the battalion numbers?

slaxton
Dec 06, 2005, 12:41 PM
just out of curiosity will anyone be creating an enitrely new unit for the mod eventually and not just a re-skined one??

id love to create an entirely new unit but at the moment, i dont know of a way to do it. ive read some stuff suggesting there may be a new plugin for 3DStudioMax for civ4 soon, but i wouldnt count on it before the SDK comes out.
and while i might be able to do skinning and modeling, ive never tried my hand at animating in 3D so when it comes time i'll have some learning to do.

but yes, as soon as its possible, i'll make a new model for the canadian corps.

Cadian
Dec 08, 2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, got to say - incredible work. I always used to rename in Civ 3 to get Canadian flavour.

Being a history teacher, it does not get better than this.

Thanks for all the good work and suggestions offered by all. We the players, thank you/ :goodjob:

Canada Mod - Final 1.4

- added 27 unique names for Canada Cops infantry regiments!

* May I suggest another regiment- the North Novas
North Nova Scotia Highlanders. instrumental in the assault in Italy, liberation of Holland, and were the 1st Canadian division over the Rhine.

*UPDATE Nov. 22/05**

Changes in Beta 3

- added Canada flag button for Civpedia and Interface - thanks slaxton!
- added re-skin for Canada Corps - thanks slaxton!
- added leaderhead pics and leaderhead buttons - thanks Cybercollector!
- reordered city list to switch Edmonton and Calgary; added Kamloops

* I installed into mod via create a folder/ Canada Mod/ and am able to play but I do not get flags, leaders, etc...

As this is my first mod, (yes in all the years I have played civ - since civ 1)
I was wondering if someone could let me know what I did wrong. :blush:

Followed instructions as listed below:

To install as a STAND-ALONE MOD:

- find \Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods
- create 'Canada Mod' folder within 'Mods'
- create 'Assets' folder within 'Canada Mod'
- unzip contents to 'Assets' folder

Thank you in advance and keep up the great work.

Chopperhead
Dec 08, 2005, 08:43 PM
id love to create an entirely new unit but at the moment, i dont know of a way to do it. ive read some stuff suggesting there may be a new plugin for 3DStudioMax for civ4 soon, but i wouldnt count on it before the SDK comes out.
and while i might be able to do skinning and modeling, ive never tried my hand at animating in 3D so when it comes time i'll have some learning to do.

but yes, as soon as its possible, i'll make a new model for the canadian corps.

Cool thanks. good luck.

Nice work so far by the way.

Wyz_sub10
Dec 08, 2005, 09:52 PM
Wow, got to say - incredible work. I always used to rename in Civ 3 to get Canadian flavour.

Being a history teacher, it does not get better than this.

Thanks for all the good work and suggestions offered by all. We the players, thank you/ :goodjob:

Thank you in advance and keep up the great work.

Thanks. :)

Yes, I can add the North Novas, no problem. It'll be a little while before the next update, though. I want to look at adding a couple of wonders so I will do it then.

In the meantime, simply go to CIV4UnitInfos.XML (in the folder Canada Mod\Assets\XML\Units) and find the entry for UNIT_CANADACORPS. You can see where the unique names are listed and add "North Novas" there.

You can also, more simply, change the name in-game once you've built the unit.

When you unzip the files to the MOD folder, you need to create 2 directories - 'Canada Mod', then 'Assets' *within* 'Canada Mod'. Unzip the files to 'Assets'.

Then start Civ4 while holding 'Shift'. Select 'Advanced', then load the mod.

Cadian
Dec 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
Done and Done. :goodjob:

Thanks for the help. It plays great...

now only if I did... :lol:

ibcoltscrew
Dec 11, 2005, 10:15 AM
Great mods but YOUR FLAG IS WHITE:blush: for me !!! What's wrong ?