View Full Version : 1 City Challange - too hard w/o Colonies?

garric
Nov 08, 2005, 08:38 AM
As soon as I tried to play 1CC, I found it was very hard because you can not build colonies. For a long part of the game I was waiting for my borders to expand so I could get that PIG. It's almost impossible to play this w/o getting extra resources. But now that there is no colonies, there is no way of getting them..

any ideas ?

Fr8Train
Nov 08, 2005, 10:37 AM
You can't unfortunatly. Wish they would have added colonies. :(

Shillen
Nov 08, 2005, 10:42 AM
It's not too hard unless you can't win even on settler. With most variants you have to lower the difficulty you play them on. So if you can't do OCC on Noble difficulty then drop down to warlord or something. Just because you have to drop down farther than you did in civ3 doesn't mean it's too hard. The only thing I don't like about OCC in civ4 is it's not even possible to win culturally. That was one of the primary victory conditions people used in OCC for civ3.

DaveMcW
Nov 08, 2005, 10:56 AM
Could you win with 150k culture?

Mark1031
Nov 08, 2005, 02:24 PM
Well I tried a space race 1cc on warlord and lost by like 5 parts. I was doing quite well (adead in techs) but just couldn;t build fast enough. But it's early, I'm sure it can be done.

Vizzini
Nov 08, 2005, 02:26 PM
Use a Civ with the Creative trait for 1cc - your borders will expand like crazy, especially if you manage to build Stonehenge in the Ancient Era.

dh_epic
Nov 08, 2005, 03:45 PM
It means there's a greater emphasis on culture in the OCC game.

Rabbit_Alex
Nov 08, 2005, 05:24 PM
I just tried the 1 city challenge on a Duel-sized pangea map with all 18 civs on it :lol: I was surrounded on 3 sides with ocean to the north with 2 crab fisheries in it. I built an obelisk, parthenon, sistine chapel, temple of solomon, and learned music to get myself a free Great Artist. I made a great work in my city with him and I took over 3 squares from the Aztecs, 1 from China (a corner square), and 6 from the French! They declared war on me instantly. It was hilarious until their army crushed my 1 warrior.

CIVPhilzilla
Nov 08, 2005, 05:51 PM
Use a Civ with the Creative trait for 1cc - your borders will expand like crazy, especially if you manage to build Stonehenge in the Ancient Era.

Creative would wouldn't be that useful IMO as you only get 2 cpt. Industrious and Finacial would be solid choices IMO.

Vizzini
Nov 08, 2005, 06:18 PM
Creative would wouldn't be that useful IMO as you only get 2 cpt.

A miniscule difference at the start of the game - agreed.

Remember that Tech quote tho? Something about the power of Compound Interest? :p

By the start of the modern era that miniscule starting difference will be anywhere from 15 to 40 culture per turn more than the non-creative Civ. (Depending upon which Wonders you managed to bag and how many religious buildings you've managed to cram into your city) This can make a big difference in how much land you're able to lock down and what resources you manage to get within your borders for the start of the space race.

Mujadaddy
Nov 08, 2005, 07:06 PM
It was hilarious until their army crushed my 1 warrior.
No, it's STILL hilarious :lol:

Chinese American
Nov 09, 2005, 01:54 AM
you have to trade for the resources you can't get to in order to grow your city. you can't just build farms in all squares like previous games. the earlier the better so that your city keeps growing without a hitch.
there are two victory goals you can win by, space and UN. if you want to win by space, you will need a huge head start on building the parts. UN is somewhat easier if you're friendly with most of your opponents. trading is doubly helpful here. even if you have ten turns left and can't win any other way, building the UN may be your last chance to win, but only if you get voted as Secretary General.