View Full Version : Republic of Texas (Texas as playable civ)

Tactician Zhao
Nov 16, 2005, 05:57 AM
Greetings,

this is my first attempt at a Civilization 4 mod, but it seems to be working so far.. though it is not 100% set in stone at this point, it is completely playable

this mod adds Texas as a playable civ for anyone who wants to play as or against them.. it includes a custom flag and still images for the leaderhead

Name: Texas
Techs: Hunting, Agriculture
Leader: Sam Houston (financial, aggressive)
Unique Unit: Texas Ranger (replaces cavalry, immune to 1st strikes, starts with Sentry promotion) thanks to catwhowalksbyhi for suggestion
Flag: the Lone Star Flag

Update: Fixed the flag so it hangs correctly as per official rules vertically, with the white on the left.. the old flag is still included, now named flagdecal_texasincorrect.dds, if you prefer that one, you can rename it to flagdecal_texas.dds.. also included is the Flag of Burnet, the first official flag of Texas, basically a yellow star on a blue flag

http://www.filegone.com/efix

You can install it by unzipping the file into your mods directory (will create a directory called "Republic of Texas"), then you can load the mod through the advanced menu in Civilization 4.

here are a few screenshots

I know overall this is nothing special, but I figured there might be a few people out there who might get something out of it

edit: I skinned the Texas Ranger and I think it looks okay.. I'm trying to find a place to host the zip file, as its now over the 500kb limit.. so heres a screenshot for now, until I can get the new archive uploaded somewhere

catwhowalksbyhi
Nov 16, 2005, 07:56 AM
I'm not a Texan, but how about the Texas Rangers? More of a police than military unit today, but, in there original incarnation, they might be fitting.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 16, 2005, 08:30 AM
I'm not a Texan, but how about the Texas Rangers? More of a police than military unit today, but, in there original incarnation, they might be fitting.

wow, good call.. that didn't even cross my mind, but is pretty appropriate.. thanks

zavarik
Nov 16, 2005, 11:15 AM
as a biased opinion (live near Dallas, Texas), Good Job! I thought the idea was pretty clever and I second the idea of the Texas Ranger.

Anima Croatorum
Nov 16, 2005, 03:45 PM
GO TEXAS RANGERS! A Chuck Norris sprite would kick a big time.

catwhowalksbyhi
Nov 16, 2005, 05:19 PM
GO TEXAS RANGERS! A Chuck Norris sprite would kick a§§ big time.

I was thinking old west Texas Rangers, actually. Could replace calvary.

Glad you all like the idea.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 16, 2005, 05:49 PM
I was thinking old west Texas Rangers, actually. Could replace calvary.

Glad you all like the idea.

I was thinking cavalry as well.. I have the updated version up now, using the default cavalry graphic.. I'm going to work on skinning it ASAP

for special properties, I gave them immunity to first strikes (as they did not wear standard uniforms, and were often upon enemies before they could react), and start with the Sentry promotion (as they were often used as scouts)

If anyone has a better idea for special abilities let me know.. I'm not sure if those two I used really unbalance them much, but I hope not.. any input is welcomed, as usual.. meanwhile, I'll see what I can do about a custom graphic

Tactician Zhao
Nov 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
ok, got the Texas Ranger in all the way, complete with a unique graphic.. looking more like the old west version than Chuck Norris, though :p

mayonaise
Nov 16, 2005, 09:50 PM
i have to cast my vote for a walker, texas ranger UU, with nunchukas

Jecrell
Nov 16, 2005, 11:56 PM
I recommend www.filegone.com for uploading files at this point Zhao. :)

KabeDerlin
Nov 17, 2005, 12:24 AM
Awesome! I'm a native Texas and I was hoping someone would do this. Awesome work. I'm gonna play it now.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 17, 2005, 03:30 AM
I recommend www.filegone.com for uploading files at this point Zhao. :)

thanks, thats a lot better.. got the download changed to there now

catwhowalksbyhi
Nov 17, 2005, 09:21 PM
The Rangers look good. Good job.

AustinS2k2003
Nov 18, 2005, 08:15 AM
Great mod pack; I'm loving the flags and the cities (Austin is my home). Great work! Maybe you should have Rick Perry as the leader or Tom Delay, George Bush (I or II) :D J/J I hate both all jokers

Anima Croatorum
Nov 18, 2005, 10:13 AM
Second leader... Chuck Norris is from Oklahoma, how bout that Kinky Friedman guy then?

Makahlua
Nov 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
ZOMG! :eek:

Awesomeness! When I first played as AMerica after I got CIV, I looked over at it's single star flag and thought "You know the Texas flag would look awesome there.." ... but of course I was too lazy to do it myself ^^

From yet another (biased) Texan posting in this thread, thanks lots! :goodjob:

zavarik
Nov 18, 2005, 01:55 PM
so far, no errors playing with this mod, just fyi :)
and Texas took over the Romans :goodjob: Emporer Houston at your service.

Pipian
Nov 18, 2005, 03:12 PM
Texas might not be balanced with Inca (given that they have the same type), as the Inca get only a very-early-game UU which won't get as much use save on a small map, compared to the Ranger. Perhaps in combination with this mod, the Quechua should be moved up to replace Macemen and keep a 75% Archery bonus (instead of the 100%, which still makes it more effective than any other Archery unit during the Medieval period, but isn't too overpowered compared to other units at the time) and perhaps lower the cost slightly instead of bumping to 100% bonus if it's not quite balanced there?

mcinspector
Nov 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for mod pack, as a native Texan I've always renamed my Leader to General Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas... Thankfully somebody knows a lot more about modding than me... Thanks again...

Tactician Zhao
Nov 20, 2005, 08:35 AM
glad people are enjoying it.. more people than I would have guessed..

someone needs to make Hawaii now, since it was the only other state, to my knowledge, to be a sovereign nation :p

KabeDerlin
Nov 20, 2005, 09:29 PM
I finished my first game with this mod and the only beef I have is that the flag is backwards. To my knowledge the white is supposed to be to the left of the red. But it's not as grave an injustice to me as some Texans might take it.

Great Mod.

Aggieflyboy
Nov 20, 2005, 10:28 PM
When I load this Mod the Texas Flag does not appear on the units. Am I doing something wrong?

zavarik
Nov 20, 2005, 11:17 PM
I finished my first game with this mod and the only beef I have is that the flag is backwards. To my knowledge the white is supposed to be to the left of the red. But it's not as grave an injustice to me as some Texans might take it.

Great Mod.

I think the flag is rotated 90 degress clockwise, hence red on the left. "Blood runs south"
In other words, Looks good to me.

KabeDerlin
Nov 20, 2005, 11:43 PM
I think the flag is rotated 90 degress clockwise, hence red on the left. "Blood runs south"
In other words, Looks good to me.

I used to think the same, but after looking at the way the American flag is draped (blue field to the left), as well as being chewed out by my commander, I'm like 99% positive the white field goes to the left. And for proof, I offer the Texas Flag Code.

3100.059. HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL DISPLAY. (a) If
the state flag is displayed horizontally, the white stripe should
be above the red stripe and, from the perspective of an observer, to
the right of the blue stripe.
(b) If the state flag is displayed vertically:
(1) the blue stripe should be above the white and red
stripes; and
(2) the white stripe should be, from the perspective
of an observer, to the left of the red stripe.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, 7.001, eff. Sept. 1,

Tactician Zhao
Nov 21, 2005, 08:18 AM
stripes; and

ouch.. I'll get right on that, I'm sorry :blush:

Tactician Zhao
Nov 21, 2005, 08:55 AM
ok, I changed the flag and updated the download.. also left the old one in the directory

"\Republic of Texas\Assets\art\interface\TeamColor\flagdecal_tex asincorrect.dds" (ignore the space, can't get it out of there)

and the Flag of Burnet, the first flag of Texas -

"\Republic of Texas\Assets\art\interface\TeamColor\flagdecal_bur net.dds" (same space problem with this post)

if you prefer to play with either of these, simply rename flagdecal_texas.dds in the same directory to a backup, and rename the one you wish to use to flagdecal_texas.dds and you can play with whichever one you want without having to edit the XML if you don't want to

KabeDerlin
Nov 21, 2005, 09:28 AM
I didn't wanna seem like I was nitpicking, just giving advice.

Either way, thanks for fixing it

Tactician Zhao
Nov 21, 2005, 09:31 AM
I didn't wanna seem like I was nitpicking, just giving advice.

Either way, thanks for fixing it

it didn't come off as nitpicking at all, it was a good catch, and I thank you.. want it to be as accurate as possible

BIGRICK
Nov 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
great mod. i will be playing it as my next game, and yes i am from texas, houston

Wyz_sub10
Nov 21, 2005, 11:41 AM
great mod. i will be playing it as my next game, and yes i am from texas, houston

As soon as I saw a guy named "BIGRICK" (all caps, no less) posting in this thread, I thought, "dude's from Texas." ;)

LAnkou
Nov 21, 2005, 11:48 AM
i second that

zavarik
Nov 22, 2005, 08:44 AM
stripes; and

ahh, good catch. One of those things you may never know unless you check. good call mate.

Tactician Zhao
Nov 25, 2005, 11:34 AM
update: fixed for the v1.09 official patch

MillerEP
Nov 26, 2005, 05:20 PM
Really good job on mod...It's become a favorite to me and everyone I play with. Keep up the good work!

nwoglobalist
Nov 27, 2005, 01:39 PM
How about making Arkansas a playable civ? You could make Sam Walton the leader and we could import all of our army and workers from Mexico.

Blackhawk0221
Dec 03, 2005, 11:54 PM
:blush: And do all of our Foreign Trading with ONLY Communist China!!

Wei-Yan
Jan 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
May i just say tacician zhao that you make very strange mods:crazyeye:
first this then antartica what next:eek:
but keep up the good work:goodjob:

easton
Feb 01, 2006, 05:26 PM
Don't know how I didn't see this sooner. I'll be downloading this as soon as I get home! Looks great!

colbyclay
Feb 02, 2006, 10:02 PM
Ok, this is my first time using a MOD and when my settler and scout start the game, the flag is just white. How do I get the Lone Star to show. Any help would be great! Thanks

Kman12341
Mar 07, 2006, 10:43 PM
As a Texan and Houstonian I just wanted to say thanks, Good Mod.

Quueg
Apr 19, 2006, 10:34 PM
Is this mod still available? The link in the first post doesn't seem to work. As a native Texan, I gotta have this mod! Help?

Arnir
Apr 21, 2006, 09:48 PM
I would love to get this one as well.

Los Tirano
Apr 24, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hmm perhaps it would be fun to wait till cavalry comes and then conquer America...

war65
Apr 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hey I want to join the group and make mods but i have no how how do you do it..

Los Tirano
Apr 30, 2006, 05:38 AM
Search around the forums and you'll find all the information you need to mod games. From new religions to whole new civs.

trancers21
May 06, 2006, 06:51 PM
is this mod no longer available

:(

Civ4Rocks
May 12, 2006, 08:44 AM
I can't find a working link either.:( :confused: I lived in Texas most of my life and really want this mod!

Thesp
May 30, 2006, 09:45 AM
Just echoing the request to see this file reposted.

masonl
May 31, 2006, 10:53 AM
The file at FileGone seems to be gone.

Thesp
May 31, 2006, 06:43 PM
The file at FileGone seems to be gone.
Yeah, I was hoping that someone who has it wouldn't mind reposting it. :cool:

mriojas
Jun 08, 2006, 05:45 PM
Does anyone have this file?? I really want it!! :-(

Niessuh
Jun 16, 2006, 04:08 AM
me too :(
texan UU, at least

danzig082
Jun 26, 2006, 07:49 PM
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease post it

Zenemij
Jun 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
yes, please repost it. i just now started reading this and i'm actually really excited.

oh man.

Makahlua
Jul 05, 2006, 04:10 PM
It's all of your lucky day! :D I still had this on a backup CD so I tossed it up for download here:

Republic of Texas Mod (http://www.benzautin.com/mahkina/downloads/civ4/Civ4_Republic+of+Texas.zip)

Happy to help out my fellow Texans! :thumbsup:

icewall
Jul 05, 2006, 04:43 PM
Excellent, I need this for my Wild West scenario. :goodjob:

Zenemij
Jul 05, 2006, 06:34 PM
awesome, thanks i've been waiting for this one.

spekkio
Jul 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
From Houston (GO 'STROS!), but living in Denton right now. I love this mod already <3.

Donkey Puncher
Nov 18, 2006, 11:22 AM
has anyone thought to update to warlords maybe with an animated leaderhead that would be cool

phantom59
Feb 03, 2007, 02:27 PM
I know Stephen F. Austin was never president of Texas, I think he should still be a leader with Imperialistic (with the bringing of settlers into Texas) and some other, mabey expansive, charismatic, or financial. And special building something along the lines of a ranch. Mabey it could multiply the ammount of health your city gets from cattle by X ammount.

LuckyAC
Feb 18, 2007, 08:32 PM
glad people are enjoying it.. more people than I would have guessed..

someone needs to make Hawaii now, since it was the only other state, to my knowledge, to be a sovereign nation :p

California was an independent republic.

If it was independent now, it would have the 8th largest economy in the world and per capita GDP would be 25% higher than any country besides Luxembourg (which hardly counts). It would be the tech leader, at least in many areas, and have some nice culture with Hollywood. Not sure how it's set for military, though, and that's a pretty long border to share with such a large and aggressive neighbor.

qragu
Apr 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks a million for reposting.

Texas Aggie:goodjob:

lovingman
Aug 03, 2007, 05:37 PM
That is an awesome idea u had.As a citizen of the proud state of Texas,I hope u do more great ideas.how about u do our neighboors to the south.Catch my drift.?(If u dont its Mexico).:lol:

Grave
Aug 08, 2007, 01:04 PM
Wow! :eek:

I just completed a Republic of Texas civ for BtS. I had no idea this was even out there. Amazing how some of our ideas were identical, which is pure coincidence. :)

Here's the link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236924

FoxURA
Aug 09, 2007, 12:29 PM
How about Stephan F. Austin as a leader for the Texas Empire? I imagine his traits would be organized and charismatic.

Also, has a uniqe building been created for them yet? If not a possible building would be an outlet mall that would replace the Super Market.

caesarmd
Aug 09, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hello! Thanks for working on a Texas civ mod. Unfortunately, when I downloaded it into the BtS mods folder and started the game, it gave me multiple error messages. I'm playing BtS version 3.02.
Many of the error messages were like this:

Failed Loading XML file xml\Civilizatins/Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File
Reason: Element content is invalid accoriding to the DTD/Schema
Expecting: {x-schema:CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml}EspionageWeight .
Line: 19, 31
Source: <RefuseToTalkWarThreshold>0</RefuseToTalkThreshold>

there were several others like this then many unit errors

Is there something that I am doing wrong? How to fix this so I can play the Great Empire of Texas!
thanks!

Grave
Aug 09, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hello! Thanks for working on a Texas civ mod. Unfortunately, when I downloaded it into the BtS mods folder and started the game, it gave me multiple error messages. I'm playing BtS version 3.02.
Many of the error messages were like this:

Failed Loading XML file xml\Civilizatins/Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File
Reason: Element content is invalid accoriding to the DTD/Schema
Expecting: {x-schema:CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml}EspionageWeight .
Line: 19, 31
Source: <RefuseToTalkWarThreshold>0</RefuseToTalkThreshold>

there were several others like this then many unit errors

Is there something that I am doing wrong? How to fix this so I can play the Great Empire of Texas!
thanks!

This mod I believe is for Vanilla Civ4 only. You want my BtS mod, which is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236924

TImithius
Feb 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Why a Texan Civ, they hardly do anything to affect history, only with their oil. And do you really need one, Texas is in the United States

The Capo
Feb 18, 2010, 08:27 PM
Why a Texan Civ, they hardly do anything to affect history, only with their oil. And do you really need one, Texas is in the United States

While I agree with you for the most part, it's just a civ mod. It isn't a big deal. People can make whatever they want.

It was an independent country, albeit a short-lived one.

MadmanOfALeader
Feb 20, 2010, 11:14 AM
Of course, Texas, civ or not, is very influential in world affairs. Oil center, large economy, and gave birth to, I believe, three US presidents.

The Capo
Feb 20, 2010, 11:45 AM
Of course, Texas, civ or not, is very influential in world affairs. Oil center, large economy, and gave birth to, I believe, three US presidents.

Two actually, Bush was from Connecticut. Which always made me wonder why he is the only Bush with a Texan accent. :confused:

Oh yeah, he's a lying prick.

MadmanOfALeader
Feb 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Bush was born in Connecticut, but was raised in Texas.

I was talking about the two Bushes and LBJ.

The Capo
Feb 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Bush Sr. was from Mass. There are two Presidents born in Texas; Eisenhower and LBJ. :goodjob:

youknowwhatitis
Feb 22, 2010, 06:43 PM
Yay Texas. If you need a city list it should be this:
Houston (capitol)
Austin
Dallas
San Antonio
Waco
El Paso
Amarillo
Corpus Christi
Midland