View Full Version : Ranged units tactics

Napo981
Dec 10, 2005, 11:50 AM
I want to know how you use ranged units. I want to know different strategies than mine, particularly in the pre-bomber era.:confused:

For my part, I first lower city def with cats(or other ranged units).

Then I send a first wave of "kamikaze" low level cats to weaken the enemy, then a second wave of high level ranged units I try to level up a little bit.

I like to give these ranged units city attack ability to have better chance of surviving:sad: .

I heard some people are able to get cats to 5th level...:eek:

Wanna hear from you!!:cooool:

weimingshi
Dec 10, 2005, 12:21 PM
Give them flanking promo, helps survival rate. personally get an artillary to level 5 is stupid. artillary is a fire and forget unit, much like missles in previous civ.

Ezy
Dec 10, 2005, 01:01 PM
i dont see why u are losing
after u get the town to 0%, usualy 2-3 cat/can/ or art and then just pull a stack of ur unints on tonw, i always have moare unints attacking then defending, always. Make sure ur units have +% vs city, i think thats the best because no matter what units is in it u will have bonus vs him, i can go on
but im sure there are beter threds on this, read them up im sure ull see what u are missing:cool:

nullspace
Dec 10, 2005, 01:53 PM
Give them flanking promo, helps survival rate. personally get an artillary to level 5 is stupid. artillary is a fire and forget unit, much like missles in previous civ.
Siege units can't get flanking. It would be useful, though.

There's a few tricks that I use:
Four catapults with the accuracy promotion are enough to destroy the defenses of any city in one turn. So I get four of those and keep them around even in the modern age.

I usually go with barrage promotions for most catapults. They're almost certain to lose, so they might as well do as much damage as possible.

Sometimes I use city raider or combat (for attacking stacks outside of cities). If the promotion gives a decent chance of survival, then it's worth it. Also if I want to do more damage the the unit the catapult fights than to other units in the stack. I usually don't promote catapults until right before they fight.