View Full Version : First thing to build in our first city

Blkbird
Jan 16, 2006, 08:37 PM
This poll is informative and non-binding. The relevant authorities (the Minister of Interior, the Designated Player acting as temporar Governor) may or may not take the result of this poll into consideration.

This poll is public and will open for two days, but be advised if your vote comes in after the Game Session 1 starts (Wed., 18 Jan, 24:00 UTC, 7pm EST), it will practically have no effect any more. In fact, if your vote comes in after the relevant official instructions to the Designated Player have been posted (here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154121)), chances are small those instructions would be changed.

Tubby Rower
Jan 17, 2006, 05:10 AM
Shouldn't there be another option other?

I'd personally like to see a warrior started and then a worker switched to at pop 2. That's not any of the options above.

Blkbird
Jan 17, 2006, 05:43 AM
Shouldn't there be another option other?

Did you even check before you ask? What other things can you build? I know I can't build anything else other than those I've listed.

The poll is about what to build first, not *how* to build it.

Tubby Rower
Jan 17, 2006, 05:57 AM
Well if I vote worker, then the DP will start a worker if it wins. I don't want to start a worker first. I want to start a warrior, then switch to a worker. But the worker will be BUILT first.

So this poll is invalid.

DaveShack
Jan 17, 2006, 08:57 AM
Good one Tubby, this is a distinct option. I don't happen to agree with that plan because I'd rather not wait even longer to pump out a unit, but you've found the first thing in Civ4 which can't be cleanly decided using the old Civ3 decision style. At least it's only an informational poll.

Tubby Rower
Jan 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
So which would I vote for... I guess it would be warrior since that is what they need to select to build tomorrow

Tubby Rower
Jan 17, 2006, 09:02 AM
well the thing is that the second unit will come out at the same time or perhaps quicker (since the worker can increase shield production) . The warrior's accumulated shields are saved and resumed with any extra worker shields.

FWIW, this could actually get the second unit out quicker because with worker builds food is actually turned into shields for overflow.

EDIT: as long as we aren't playing Always War, the speed of getting the first unit is fairly unconsequential

GeorgeOP
Jan 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
I voted warrior, but I agree with Tubby's suggestion.

Tubby Rower
Jan 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
Ok I'm voting warrior but I'll propose later that we switch to a worker.

EDIT : Holy Egyptian Pigs!!!! everyone has voted for warrior.

Whomp
Jan 17, 2006, 12:19 PM
If our research is agriculture oriented then a worker makes considerable sense as an in between build. Why waste the time if we have the technology to take advantage of our ag. knowledge?

Meeting the other civs with a warrior is not very useful early game in Civ4 IMO so I like the idea of a combo build.

Admiral Kutzov
Jan 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
combo worker warrior build :bounce: :bounce:

Furiey
Jan 17, 2006, 04:57 PM
I too like the sound of a combo warrior/worker build.

Blkbird
Jan 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
We can decide this "combo" issue later, the city will not grow to size 2 within the Game Session 1 (10 turns).

BCLG100
Jan 18, 2006, 03:50 PM
i also vote for the warrior/worker combo thing so im guessing that means warrior first.

Chieftess
Jan 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
There was no build queue instructions in the turnchat instruction thread! I'm going with warrior for this one, but there's no instructions for other builds.