View Full Version : Game suddenly crashing when I end turn!

jerVL/kg
Jan 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
Got a problem...it's 1953 AD, I'm about 15 turns away from a Space Victory and the worst has happened.

No, Catherine hasn't invaded with her massively superior force. Alexander hasn't built the UN, and Tokugawa hasn't cancelled our defensive pact. It's worse than any of those. Namely, as soon as I hit "enter" to end the turn, the game crashes. Every single time.

I thought it might be the "new tech" popup, since those always seem to cause major lag on a Huge Terra Map, but turning off research did nothing to fix it.

I did notice Catherine was 1 turn away from building a Spy in the city where my spy was. But moving my Spy out fixed nothing, either.

Unfortunately my last save was over 10 turns ago and I don't want to go back but I may have to!! I really don't know what other information to give except that the game has never crashed to the desktop before. Any ideas what could be wrong??!?

MrCynical
Jan 20, 2006, 06:59 AM
Are you about to complete a wonder or anything like that which puts additional strain on the game?

jerVL/kg
Jan 20, 2006, 07:32 AM
Are you about to complete a wonder or anything like that which puts additional strain on the game?
Nope, all wonders have been built, nothing's due to complete except factories and stuff like that.

However...I tried revolting to another civic (just to create anarchy so nothing would complete that turn) and the game did NOT crash this time...but it did crash when I ended the next turn!! So maybe it is one of those bloody factories; I'll have to experiment with this.

jerVL/kg
Jan 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
Well...I cancelled the building of everything that was supposed to complete that turn, and it didn't crash. Gradually I started reintroducing all the things that were building before, and it still didn't crash. In fact, it hasn't crashed since.

Weird. I wonder what the problem was?

sligo
Jan 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
My system crashes periodically. Most often, it will freeze up for a few moments. When it does, I save immediately if I get control back. I've gone thru and disabled anti-virus and turned off the system monitor. Seems that it crashes when windows update downloads a new patch or something like that, which is hard to control.

I also think I need to add some memory to my system. I'd like for it to not crash, though!

jerVL/kg
Jan 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
My system crashes periodically. Most often, it will freeze up for a few moments.
I get the freeze-ups all the time, in particular on Huge maps. Especially with the Leonard Nimoy pop-ups, or simply reloading a game, it will freeze for up to five minutes or even longer. Apparently this is "normal", from others I've talked to about it...Huge maps really tax the system!!!