View Full Version : New Civilization: Thailand - Version 1.1

Perseid
Jan 25, 2006, 03:23 AM
I've uploaded what will probably be the finished version of my Thailand mod, complete with Pratputajao's pedia entry(Thanks!). Any input is appreciated.

Two new pics attached. Other two pics in here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154779

60 Cities

Leaders
-------
Ramkhamhaeng (Spiritual/Aggressive)
Mongkut (Creative/Philosophical)
Chulalongkorn (Organized/Financial)
Adulyadej (Creative/Spiritual)

Civs
----
Mysticism
Agricultire

Unit
----
Battle Elephant (9/2)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Thailand1.1.zip

Pratputajao
Jan 27, 2006, 01:24 AM
Great job!!

We need more Asian Civs, there is an awful lot of history there. If I were a better modder ( Not so good at the graphics end) I would add Burma, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malay kingdoms, Tibet, The Shan states... There really is alot to be done in this region.

Anyway, Great job again. Keep up the good work!!

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 06:31 AM
Mongkut (Creative/Philosophical)
Thais don't call him this. They most comonly use Rama IV.

Adulyadej (Creative/Spiritual)
This won't do. It should either be Pumipol or Rama IX.

Glad you've done it though. Although I would prefer to call them the Siamese. Much more poetic and historic. It's only been called Thailand since 1932.

*****And either I'm doing something wrong, or your ZIP files are empty.

Could you post a list of your cities for me to check?

Pratputajao
Jan 27, 2006, 07:45 AM
You are right, but unless you are Thai I dont think it matters. Just as Ayuthaya and Sukhothai should be the starting Cities but they were destroyed so most people who are not Thai have not heard of them. So ether way i think its good. But to be completely accurate you are right.

Pratputajao
Jan 27, 2006, 07:47 AM
Oh, are you Kon Thai? I see you are in BKK, Ick

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 08:02 AM
Oh, are you Kon Thai? I see you are in BKK, Ick

No, I'm Farang, but my wife is Thai. I've been here 22 years.

I think Sukhothai, Sisatchanali, Sri Ayuthaya, Chiang Mai should be the first cities. You don't have to worry about if people have heard of them or not. Civilization can be an educational tool as well as a game!

It doesn't make any sense to start with Bangkok in ancient times. Egypt doesn't start with Cairo does it? Japan doesn't start with Tokyo.

Spearthrower
Jan 27, 2006, 08:13 AM
Cool! I am downloading it now! :) **Edit: Actually, I'm not as there seems to be an error with it**

Hey let's change Bangkok to:

KrungthepmahahnahkhonBorwornrhattanagosinMahhintar ayutayahMahhahdelokPopNopparatlachathaneebureeromU domratchaneewetmahhahsathanAmornpeemarnawatdahnsat titsakatatdeeyatwisanutgrambrasit.

Ok, lets not! :lol: Can you imagine that on the screen? :crazyeye:

Seriously though, I agree with using historical names such as Sukhothai and Sri Ayuthaya and chosing one of those as the starting city.

I personally would prefer using Thailand as the civ name as it follows suit with the rest of the game i.e. modern, anglicised names.

As for spelling, I think as long as it is consistent, it's fine!

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 08:20 AM
I personally would prefer using Thailand as the civ name as it follows suit with the rest of the game i.e. modern, anglicised names.

But everybody knows Siam as well. And it sounds so much nicer!

And here's the old Siamese flag:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3256/siamflagtu7kv.th.jpg (http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=siamflagtu7kv.jpg)
Looks so much more interesting than the modern flag, I think.

And did anybody have problems with the ZIP file besides me? Mine is empty!

Perseid
Jan 27, 2006, 04:15 PM
As for Rama, I'd rather not use titles. The rest of the game doesn't do this, and many more potential players will recognize the name Mongkut before they'd recognize Rama. And the full name I used in the mod is Bhumibol Adulyadej. I assume Pumipol is a different way of anglicizing the same name.

I was debating using Siam, but, as Spearthrower said, the game does seem to lean toward using modern names and flags, though that older flag IS pretty cool.

And you're right. Starting with Bangkok doesn't make sense but I didn't know what the first cities were, not being Thai myself. If Sukhothai, Sisatchanali, Ayuthaya, and Chiang Mai are all ancient cities, I will indeed put them to the top.

Lastly, the file I uploaded looks okay on my machine, but I can't test it because the download server isn't responding right now. I'll check later,

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 07:12 PM
As for Rama, I'd rather not use titles. The rest of the game doesn't do this, and many more potential players will recognize the name Mongkut before they'd recognize Rama. And the full name I used in the mod is Bhumibol Adulyadej. I assume Pumipol is a different way of anglicizing the same name.

The Bhumibol spelling is probably more common. Go with that. (It's pronounced Poomepone)
And Mongkut is probably OK, since he is so famous from The King and I, even though the title is not really correct.

I was debating using Siam, but, as Spearthrower said, the game does seem to lean toward using modern names and flags, though that older flag IS pretty cool.

The game does use the "Persians" rather than the "Iranians". And, although not quite the same, the game uses the "English" rather than today's "British" and the "Romans" rather than the modern "Italians".
"Thailand" did not build Sukhothai or use elephants in battle. But the "Siamese" did.

And you're right. Starting with Bangkok doesn't make sense but I didn't know what the first cities were, not being Thai myself. If Sukhothai, Sisatchanali, Ayuthaya, and Chiang Mai are all ancient cities, I will indeed put them to the top.

Cool. Could you post your city list? I'll be able to help you rank them in a good order. And double-check the spellings.

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
Lastly, the file I uploaded looks okay on my machine, but I can't test it because the download server isn't responding right now. I'll check later,

It's working now.

Spearthrower
Jan 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
The Bhumibol spelling is probably more common. Go with that. (It's pronounced Poomepone)
And Mongkut is probably OK, since he is so famous from The King and I, even though the title is not really correct.

I think Bhumibol is the best spelling, but as I said before, consistency is far more appealing. In all honesty, I think a lot of Thais would find it highly disrespectful using Bhumibol or Chulalongkorn in a computer game as they are practically deified.

The game does use the "Persians" rather than the "Iranians". And, although not quite the same, the game uses the "English" rather than today's "British" and the "Romans" rather than the modern "Italians". "Thailand" did not build Sukhothai or use elephants in battle. But the "Siamese" did.

This first is the perfect example: the Persians *always* called their country Iran... in fact it was first called Persia by the Greeks after the hero Persis. Iran actually accepted the dual use of Persia/Iran only a hundred or so years ago. Thus it is an anglicised name.

The Romans were not Italians and Italy didnt even exist then, it was a bunch of city states and the people of the south, middle, north east and north west were considerably different. The historical timing isn't important, it's the anglicization of the name.

The use of English is correct as it was an individual country - the point is that we don't call it Angleland.

We dont call the Greeks the Hellenes, the French the Gauls (or Franks), the Egyptians the Khemeians.... we use their modernised name.

Historically they all work, as I said, they are ALL the modernized, anglicised versions of their names.... they are not in their own, original language. Thus, Thailand would fit better into the game imo.

Ick of the East
Jan 27, 2006, 11:02 PM
I think Bhumibol is the best spelling, but as I said before, consistency is far more appealing. In all honesty, I think a lot of Thais would find it highly disrespectful using Bhumibol or Chulalongkorn in a computer game as they are practically deified.

I agree that Bhumibol would not be well received. But Chulalongkorn should be OK. After all, there is Chulalongkorn University. But for Thais, Rama V and Rama IX would be best, although for everybody else those titles are a bit cold.

How about a woman, Suriyothai? That would be great. There are plenty of pictures from the movie available.

This first is the perfect example: the Persians *always* called their country Iran... in fact it was first called Persia by the Greeks after the hero Persis. Iran actually accepted the dual use of Persia/Iran only a hundred or so years ago. Thus it is an anglicised name.

Right, but Persia is an ancient name as well, even if the Iranians did not use it themselves.

I'm not arguing that we should use Siam just because the Siamese used it. I'm arguing that we should because everybody used it until very recently.

(And Siam is also an anglicization - from "Sayaam Prathet".)

We dont call the Greeks the Hellenes, the French the Gauls (or Franks), the Egyptians the Khemeians.... we use their modernised name.

Greece and Egypt are also ancient names that foreigners gave to those places, so they go very well with the ancient eras of the game. It is the age of the name that is important to me, not whether it is locally authentic or not.

But Thailand only dates to 1932 and so sounds really out of place to me when playing in ancient times (which is most of the game).

Historically they all work, as I said, they are ALL the modernized, anglicised versions of their names.... they are not in their own, original language. Thus, Thailand would fit better into the game imo.

I would agree 100 percent if "Siam" was as unknown to most people as Hellas or Bharat (India) or Kart Hadasht (Carthage).
But everybody knows Siam.
================================================== ==============
Here are 30 towns in rough order of settlement. I've left out some ancient towns that were settled by the Khmer and later conquered by the Siamese.

(Note: Although Bangkok is more properly called Krung Thep, the original settlement was named Bangkok and only changed when the capital moved there. So I've left it as Bangkok. If you move your capital there, you can change it yourself !)

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUKHOTHAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SI_SATCHANALAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHIANG_RAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHIANG MAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUPHAN_BURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SRI_AYUTTHAYA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHITSANULOK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_PATHOM</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAMPANG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_RATCHASIMA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LOP_BURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BANGKOK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_UTTARADIT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KHON_KAEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BURI_RAM</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHETCHABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANCHANABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SARABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHON_BUIR</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHANTABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_SRI_TAMMARAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHATTALUNG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SONGKHLA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHUMPON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NARATIWAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SURAT_THANI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHUKET</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RANONG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SATUN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_YALA</City>

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 12:35 AM
2 typos:

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHON_BUIR</City>

Chonburi

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NARATIWAT</City>

Narathiwat

I think quite a few of them you could leave out the space too - like Chonburi, Lopburi, Suphanburi..... just for consistency purposes.

Add
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRANG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KRABI</City>

Pratputajao
Jan 28, 2006, 12:47 AM
" but as I said before, consistency is far more appealing. In all honesty, I think a lot of Thais would find it highly disrespectful using Bhumibol or Chulalongkorn in a computer game as they are practically deified."

Point well taken and I agree that alot of Thais would find the using of names disrespectful. But then you have people like my wife.... she thinks games are all a waste of time anyway.. hehe

I like the Idea of having Suryiothai as a leader. A very strong woman, a national hero, and an inspiration to many Thais. Pretty cool movie too..

Yeah I noticed while playing the game today the listing of the cities. I was going to post my list when I got back to my work computer ( Online conection at home is a mess) But after seeing Ick's list its not necissary, I only differed in I had Ayuthaya as The starting city but to be historically accurate Ick's choice of Sukhothai is more correct. I would leave Pattaya off the list alltogether as it wasnt even really a city until the 60s, just a fishing villiage before that.

Ick of the East
Jan 28, 2006, 12:56 AM
Good catch. Thanks.
I've put all of the "buri" downs as one word and corrected the spelling.

<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUKHOTHAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SI_SATCHANALAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHIANG_RAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHIANG_MAI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUPHANBURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SRI_AYUTTHAYA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHITSANULOK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_PATHOM</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAMPANG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_RATCHASIMA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LOPBURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BANGKOK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_UTTARADIT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KHON_KAEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BURIRAM</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHETCHABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANCHANABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SARABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHONBURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHANTABURI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAKHON_SRI_TAMMARAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHATTALUNG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SONGKHLA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHUMPON</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NARATHIWAT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SURATTHANI</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHUKET</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RANONG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SATUN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_YALA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRANG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KRABI</City>

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 01:02 AM
The only other comment I have on this (excellent) list of cities is perhaps to reorder them. In a standard game, how many cities do you settle yourself? 8? 10? 15? Perhaps put them in order of importance to some degree - i.e. Major cities first.

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 01:07 AM
Point well taken and I agree that alot of Thais would find the using of names disrespectful. But then you have people like my wife.... she thinks games are all a waste of time anyway.. hehe

Yeah, I just want to ensure we dont cause any offence to Thai members! I think most King's names would be fine except Bhumibol or Chulalongkorn as both are seen to be more than just men. It's one thing to name a University, Hospital or other good work after them and completely another thing to put them in a computer game. It's a shame because they do both make excellent leaders!

I am hoping that running this civ will pull my girlfriend's interest into Civ. She did find the little Buddhist monks running about and converting everyone quite appealing! :lol:

Ick of the East
Jan 28, 2006, 01:09 AM
The problem with ordering the cities by what is major today is that you'll start off with Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, etc.

But Hat Yai was a nothing until 40 years ago. Same for Pattaya.

And the Siamese started out in the north and gradually moved south. So I've tried to reflect that (for what it's worth).

But then I'm just a pedantic history buff, so don't mind me :)

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah I didnt actually mean in order of importance today.... more in overall order of importance. I definitely think Bangkok deserves to be higher up the list as it is number 12 at the moment.... in my games that will probably relegate it to a fishing village at most. I tend to build few cities and take the rest off the AI. Somewhere like Chiang Rai could go way down the list in my opinion. I still advocate some shuffling about! ;) It's not a concern for me as I will just reorder them on my pc, I just wanted to help strengthen the experience for others! ;)

Ick of the East
Jan 28, 2006, 01:33 AM
I see where you're coming from, but I've always looked on this game as a kind of alternative history experiment. It's cool to see what historic towns end up as your major cities in the present day.

Bangkok WAS a piddling fishing and plum farming village until 250 years ago. And who knows. If Sukhothai is sacked by the Mongols, you might have to move your capital there and make it into a major city! :king:

But don't forget to build Soi Cowboy :mischief:

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 01:58 AM
Soi Cowboy World Wonder (1 Left)

Happiness +2
Health - 2

Generates Saucy Hookers (6/6). Any foreign unit entering your borders will fall in love with a Saucy Hooker and drain 1 GPT from his civ whenever he leaves your cultural borders.

Ick of the East
Jan 28, 2006, 02:03 AM
Right on!

And I think the Bong* could be a good advance. It leads to Rock & Roll and The Munchies.

*The only Thai word picked up by English.

Ick of the East
Jan 28, 2006, 02:38 AM
Here are the Siamese elephant flags ready for the game for anybody who would like them.

Hope they work.

Pratputajao
Jan 28, 2006, 04:23 AM
But don't forget to build Soi Cowboy

Oh man now I really cant let my wife see this.. hehe ;)

Yeah I didnt actually mean in order of importance today.... more in overall order of importance. I definitely think Bangkok deserves to be higher up the list as it is number 12 at the moment...

In my own Mod ( Not really worth putting here, flags all messed up) I have Ayuthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang mai, Phitsanalok, Bangkok as my first 5. I only do that becouse of the importance of each one of these cities at one time or another

Spearthrower
Jan 28, 2006, 06:25 AM
In my own Mod ( Not really worth putting here, flags all messed up) I have Ayuthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang mai, Phitsanalok, Bangkok as my first 5. I only do that becouse of the importance of each one of these cities at one time or another

That's pretty much how I would rank them.... I realise it's pretty subjective to rank them but does have a bearing in the feeling of reality in the game. I totally accept that part of the fun is rewriting history.... but I like some normalizations to work from. Kind of hard to explain :)

thaimodz
Jan 31, 2006, 09:45 PM
It will be much better if we can have prime ministers as well. Some people stares at me with "is he going to assinate the king? he's planning a rebellion?" sight when I talk about the King. You get the idea...

Maybe, to think neutrally, I would consider adding some more kings. I would add Naresuan (Fought against Burmese) and Taksin (The one who moved the capital, not that square-faced nation-seller.). The problem is, can't do anything related to human images.

Pariasakura
Feb 02, 2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks for a mod on a more Far Eastern country really appreciate it. I'll love to see more of them if possible though if possible hehe. By the way, this may seem rude but i tried to change the name of the cities according to the way the Thai cities were founded instead of bangkok but it didnt seemt to work. I was using wordpad. Really appreciate the help if possible!! Chokdee!!

Pratputajao
Feb 02, 2006, 05:23 AM
It will be much better if we can have prime ministers as well. Some people stares at me with "is he going to assinate the king? he's planning a rebellion?" sight when I talk about the King. You get the idea...

Maybe, to think neutrally, I would consider adding some more kings. I would add Naresuan (Fought against Burmese) and Taksin (The one who moved the capital, not that square-faced nation-seller.). The problem is, can't do anything related to human images.

Well right now in Thailand's history there havenít been any PMs worth putting up and I would say a large majority of Thais would MUCH rather see Ramma IX up there than see Thaksin. Well, actually the PM appointed by the King in the 90s wasnt bad. ( Cant remmember name?) However, the King has been the one stabilizing force in Thailandís politics- The king has the final word, when he decides to exercise that power; that is not written in law (he is a constitutional monarch), but it is understood by all Thais and they put him ahead of any politician. I understand wanting to have a PM in there as well but I wouldnít remove any of the kings selected to do it. Also I wouldnt say it would be a "much better mod" if a PM was added.

Naresuan did more than fight the Burmese he brought Thailand back as a major power after the Burmese sacked Ayuthaya! If he would have lived longer it is believed by many that Burma would have eventually been completely conquered by Thailand, but he died prematurely. I have him in my Mod but I see the leaders listed by Perseid to all be very good. Thailand has been blessed by having a lot of good rulers. Suriyothai has even been suggested as a leader. There is a lot to work with there. Same for Thaksin (though he became rather insane at the end)

Pratputajao
Feb 02, 2006, 05:55 AM
this may seem rude but i tried to change the name of the cities according to the way the Thai cities were founded instead of bangkok but it didnt seemt to work. I was using wordpad.

I did the same and had no trouble. Maybe if you could put up the XML? I dont know what you did so I am not sure how to help? But basically if you just replace the city's name text (and nothing else) in the XML->Save it- you're done. Just dont mess with the Tags and all should be fine?

Good luck to you

Pariasakura
Feb 02, 2006, 06:43 AM
thanks Pratputajao, tried your method and it worked! :)

Pratputajao
Feb 02, 2006, 07:37 AM
thanks Pratputajao, tried your method and it worked! :)

Mai pen Rai ;)

RogerBacon
Feb 02, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm going to add this civ to my game when I get home tonight. I went to Thailand back in 88 and thought it was one of the most beautiful countries in the world (maybe THE most beautiful). The names of the cities, and everything else Thai, are really hard to pronounce though.

Roger Bacon

Ick of the East
Feb 07, 2006, 05:31 AM
Here's the Siamese white elephant flag in alpha channel form.

It has the same file name as the modern flag, so just copy it over that file if you wish to use it. You won't have to change any code.

nop
Apr 06, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Guys,
I haven't get to this site for a long time... this may be too late for posting :p
But my idea is the leader and cities should not related to the current :( . Thai have more than 700 years of history there are a lot of leaders and cities you can chose. The empire name should be "Siam" ..... but I like the Battle elephant :)

neohyram
Jun 30, 2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah I think Naresuan (Ong Dum) is a great leader choice he is definetly my favorite Thai Leader. Say is Khun Paan in there anywere?

Bianezzi
Jul 08, 2006, 12:23 AM
Siam Siam Siam!

dmavid
Jun 30, 2007, 06:38 AM
sawasdee khrap
hello

i have download thai 1.1
i can't play now i ask in orther topic how do
i have one question is possible you
do new city and orther king and orther unit
i thinks is very good thinks have creat thai civ
sorry for my english i'm french

khop kun maak khrap.thanks you for answher
take care of yourself

Kabcsi
Jul 04, 2007, 05:41 PM
Nice civ! Congratulations!

cathyy
Mar 02, 2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks, I'm going to be downloading this Civ. My very first addition to the game!
As for a strong female leader, there is always Tao Suranaree. Quite the heroine, but the story seems to make men nervous.

cathyy
Mar 02, 2008, 10:49 AM
This isn't working for me. I've tried it in the base game and in Warlords. I get this error:

Failed loading XML file xml\text\thailand.xml [/AspyrBuild/depot/Civ4/SourceWarlords/Win/firePlace/Fireworks/Win32/FXml.cpp

File: xml\text\thailand.xml
Reason: (null)
Line: 0, 0
Source: (null)

Obviously I am playing on a Mac, and obviously it needs a file thailand.xml that is not where a mac expects it to be. It loads perfectly up to the XML part, though.

Edit: OK, I fixed the encoding on that file. Now I am getting an XML tag error on the LeaderheadInfos file. Do Macs take different tags? I've run a diff against the same file for Alexander the Great, and of course darn near every line is there due to the different values. How do I find a bad tag? And if it HAS a bad tag, why hasn't anybody complained about it not working?

theabyssal
Mar 17, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hey guys

Glad somebody is trying to put Thailand together in Civ4. I was kinda hoping its added in Civ4 but nope, never happens. =(. But as a keen Thai historian myself, I shall take the liberty to express some of my opinions. Hope they are constructive.

I would say the name Siam delivers the punch more than Thailand. Ick is right about it being poetic and historic and all but more importantly, the country was introduced to the Western World as Siam and that was when it was at its greatest height. (Like before the French and the British tore the country apart, colonizing half the country which is today Melayu Peninsular, Laos and Combodia) Its flag, if Siam is favored, then should be an elephant with a default colour of red/blue/gold

As for its leader, I would say it is somewhat a no to use the current king, Bhumibol as a leader head. Majorly, because he still is in reign and thus would induce that disrespectful feeling the most. (the same way i believe Hitler was never appeared whereas Churchill and Roosevelt does) But as for other choices of LH, there are 3 kings who with the title 'The great': King Buddha Yodfachulalok (Rama I), King Mongkut (Rama V), and King Bhumibol (Rama IX). With King Bhumubol out of the question, that leaves the first two. King Buddha Yodfachulalok was not that well-known. Thus my choice would be to go with King Mongkut, if you insisted on the name being stated. But i would suggest stating Rama V, as Civ4 has wrote Suriyavarman II. As for PM, there has never been a Thai PM who fit the description of being a national symbol therefore i suggest doing the king would be the best. As for the pre-ratanakosin era kings, King Naresuan or King Taksin would fit into the position. King Naresuan was the liberator of Siam during the first fall of Ayothya, and King Taksin in the second.

As for the traits, for any choice of LHs, the Siamese has shown unparalleled amount of loyalty to its king, hence there would be limited anachy in the kingdom, if there were any. Hence, i would say Spiritual is defenitely in. If Rama V is chosen, i would go for protective as he defended the freedom of the country (quite succesfully too) against foreign power. (although spiritual/protective belongs to Saladin, i believe Saladin should have other traites, =) ) But if Rama I is chosen, i would go spiritual/organized for how he found Bangkok. As for King Naresuan/Taksin: protective/organized, for how they liberated Siam from the hands of Burma.

As for UU and UB, I totally agree on the Battle Elephant, just the correct and balanced version. (i suggest making it a 10/1 vanilla unit, an 8/2 war elephant, or 8/1 war elephant with 25% against melee) But as for UB, how about a (elephant) breeding ground, a replacement of stable, but also add ivory to the trading resources, making the Battle Elephant readily available regardless of terrain as well as tradable goods.

Lastly, for the city name, I shall list down the name of cities according to its importance during Ayudhya era where the country is at its greatest. (do note that these cities are spelled using anglicization of the original bali language that is used to name the city as used in the Khmer Civ)

Sri Ayodhya (capitol)
Chantaburi
Sri Sajanalaya/Sukothai
Nakorn Sridhammaraja
Kanchanaburi
Nakorn Rajasrima
Bhitsanulok/Song Kwae
Surajadhani
Bangkok

(follow by the original list)

I also leave out the important cities in area that are no longer Thai such as Vientiane that is now Laotian and the Melayu Peninsular cities.

Hope that helps making a better Thai Civ Mod =)

cathyy
Mar 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
Feel free to change it to suit yourself.

The version here works on an older vanilla game, not the current one. I took the version here and, with help from AlanH, I modified it to work in Warlords on a Mac. The files I changed are available in the Mac section of the forum as attached files. You could try it and see if it works in Windows Warlords; it should unless you have BtS and then it probably won't.

Correction! I modified it to work with the latest vanilla game, not Warlords. Doh! Modifying it for Warlords is on my list of things to do after I get the info on what needs to be changed. so it should work on the Windows vanilla game, too.

poom3619
Oct 04, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hey! Um... I'm Thai. Well. I want to help me some favor.

At First. I am a bit upset when seeing Khmer empire with no Siam. As only nation in SE Asia that not conoli(ed) by d**n western colonist. Who invade and vassal Laos (Lanchang)
Chiangmai (As part of modern thailand. It and its empire called Lanna) Malaysia (Malaya) and CAMBODIA (Khmer). OK. Well now.

I am too stupid to fit it with BTS. Well. I know I can paste it on Civ4's but umm... I just want to change something. Firstly I want to make Bhumipol (spelling?) unavailable (spelling?) because Well. He is alive. You could know that everyone in this game except Sid are dead.
Two, I want to change music so I will not panic when they're play as AI. Well. Cathy just invade Hatty and Me in 17xx, and last game. She just capitulate every civilization in the world except me because I smart enough to good to her. Imagine that Joao, Pacal, A.Caesar, Louis, Gilgamesh and Cathy declare war to you as once.

Well. Can anyone make xml for me?

cathyy
Oct 05, 2009, 09:08 AM
Sawadee, Poom, ka.

The Thai nationality will not work with BtS. It will not even work with Warlords. The changes to make it work with Warlords can be made, but it is very slow, and hard to find all the things that need to be changed. I do not know if it will work with BtS if somebody makes the changes needed to have it work in Warlords.

I do not know what changes you want other than having it work. You want the ruler changed, I think. Do you want His Royal Majesty the King Bhumipol made the ruler, or another, previous king made the ruler?

To avoid the music frightening you, when the AI plays Thailand, don't play the modified game with the Thailand nationality added. If you don't want to play Thailand, play the vanilla game.

I hope I helped you. Please post again if you need more help.

Deon
Oct 05, 2009, 09:14 AM
Try the Rise of Mankind mod, there's a perfect working Siam under Mongkut (and I usually play it although I am Russian because I love the traits/flavor).

Thaitanium
Oct 05, 2009, 01:28 PM
HELP !
I can't see the Thai Empire Civilization. I have done everything just like in the guide topic said I have tried in both on Civ4 and BTS it still can't see it looks like load succesful but I can't see any new civilization. I have tried holding Shift when start fmae and I have edited the civ4config file too neither work.
Plz help I really want to play
im thai btw just bought civ4 a week ago

cathyy
Oct 05, 2009, 01:55 PM
Which mod are you trying to use? Do you have all the patches installed for your game and any expansion packs you might have? (Warlords, Beyond the Sword)

Thaitanium
Oct 05, 2009, 08:29 PM
i dont think my BTS patch is update to the latest(1.31) yet do I have to ?
But I have all Pack Civ4/Warlord/BTS/Colonization (Its not that hard to find in thailand ! :DDD cheap too ! ;DD )

The Capo
Oct 06, 2009, 12:24 AM
SHAMELESS PROMOTION ALERT!!!

I don't know if this is updated to 3.19, but if it is I suggest someone use my Mongkut LH. Check my signature for my Leaderhead Gallery. :goodjob:

Hafezudine
Oct 12, 2009, 05:48 AM
i think the first name that bumps into one's head as the leader of Siam, aka Thailand, is the King from the movie, "the King and I" Mongkut, i think he is the most suitable as the leader of Siam.

Thaitanium
Nov 09, 2009, 08:15 AM
make this for BTS3.19 PLZ

poom3619
Nov 14, 2009, 10:43 PM
Sawadee, Poom, ka.

The Thai nationality will not work with BtS. It will not even work with Warlords. The changes to make it work with Warlords can be made, but it is very slow, and hard to find all the things that need to be changed. I do not know if it will work with BtS if somebody makes the changes needed to have it work in Warlords.

I do not know what changes you want other than having it work. You want the ruler changed, I think. Do you want His Royal Majesty the King Bhumipol made the ruler, or another, previous king made the ruler?

To avoid the music frightening you, when the AI plays Thailand, don't play the modified game with the Thailand nationality added. If you don't want to play Thailand, play the vanilla game.

I hope I helped you. Please post again if you need more help.

Sorry. But it's doesn't help me too much.

I know I shouldn't do anything with xml. I ever screwed my game so I have to reinstall it.

Okay. Now, I will tell you what I want to say. I agree to theabysmal that we shouldn't play Rama IX because if you bring your laptop/Mac in thailand and someone see his face and you do anything like declare war, (or anything) you would load and continue your game in jail. Thai SERIOUS about insult the king because ancient indian & cambodian culture saying that king is the "sommuttitep" artifical god or living god or else. So you SHOULDN'T play with him (or play as him). I believe that everyone in this game except sid is dead. Right?

About leaders I want either Rama I, Rama IV ,King Naresuan, Prak Piboonsongkram. along with Rama V.

Unique Building?
Erm... My Idea. Elephant is bit hard to breed so I think

White Elephant Stable
"The White Elephant is elephat with few er.. whatever, so it's skin is white. Siamese King like having a several elephant in his palace because they believe it will bring good luck. Burmese ever ask Siamese to give white elephant as tribute. So it represent how white elephant is valueable to South-east Asian"

+1 :) +2 :culture: +2 Horse EXP +1 Elephant EXP
Require Ivory

Too much?

Last, I am Thai native speaker. I'm no problem about thai except R and L. (Trust me, every Thai children have this problem.) Only thing that my problem is I'm bit too young so I couldn't make adult-like sound. I am good at english. I could translate "simple" words that english and american say when I selected them. But I just 14 years old.
I couldn't say that.

Thaitanium
Nov 15, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey poom3619 Im Thai too ! and Im also 14 :D
I wanna make this by myself can anyone tell me how to get this start ? ! :D

mamba
Nov 15, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey poom3619 Im Thai too ! and Im also 14 :D
I wanna make this by myself can anyone tell me how to get this start ? ! :D

Well, you basically have two options with different amounts of effort.

1) go through the database for units, buildings and leaderheads and pick the ones which you find most suitable, then change the xml accordingly (looking at some example xml, i.e. an existing civ should be enough to get you going)

2) create new leaderheads, buildings and units 'from scratch' (i.e. by using parts of existing ones and doing some retexturing). This requires a lot more effort, esp. for leaderheads. There are tutorials on how to do this, so those should be your first starting point if you want to go that route.