View Full Version : Science Carry Over??

Salty Ant
Mar 15, 2006, 05:09 PM
A strategy I used to use in Civilization 3 was to lower my scientific output when I didn't need anymore science. An example of what I mean is: Say I am researching Horseback Riding. I have 1 turn left until I get the tech, but my research is set at 90%. If I lower the tech to 20%, it still remains at 1 turn left, but now I am making a large amount of money. This was considered a loophole in Civ 3, but I can't figure out if any research carries over to the next tech that you research. I say, why fund science if its just being wasted and not going anywhere?

Maybe this has been discussed in the past, but anyway, does anyone know if scientific research carries over from one tech to another when there is excess? Thanks :D

Zombie69
Mar 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
There is a carryover now, but there's a bug in how bonuses are carried over. Basically, for techs where you have few bonuses (few prerequisites and few other civs that already know the tech), you want as little carryover as possible. For techs with lots of bonuses, you want as much carryover as possible, so that you can carry over the bonus to a tech that shouldn't have the bonus.

Salty Ant
Mar 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
There is a carryover now, but there's a bug in how bonuses are carried over. Basically, for techs where you have few bonuses (few prerequisites and few other civs that already know the tech), you want as little carryover as possible. For techs with lots of bonuses, you want as much carryover as possible, so that you can carry over the bonus to a tech that shouldn't have the bonus.

Ok, so do you mean that techs with a lot of bonuses carry over more scientific points to the next tech? Im a little confused :confused:

DementedAvenger
Mar 15, 2006, 05:38 PM
Ok, so do you mean that techs with a lot of bonuses carry over more scientific points to the next tech? Im a little confused :confused:

There are modifiers to base beakers, including how many civs you know that have the tech, how many of the soft prerequisites you have (e.g. fishing and agriculture for pottery), and some other factors I'm forgetting at the moment. If you research to within juts a couple beakers of finding one of these techs with high multipliers, and then ramp up research to 100% the next turn, the overflow applied to the next tech will also have these multipliers.

This bug makes the "depth before breadth" research strategy a lot more appealing. If you're working on an expensive but incredibly useful tech like civil service, a strategy can be to go back and research a tech like fishing that most AIs have so that you come within just a few beakers of researching it. Next turn, increase research to 100%, and apply these augmented beakers to your civil service research. I haven't done any research on it, but it's likely that you won't lose a lot of time on getting civil service (you might even gain time), and you'll get a lot of "free" earlier techs.

ArmoredCavalry
Mar 15, 2006, 05:38 PM
Also If you wnted to know, Production carries over too

DementedAvenger
Mar 15, 2006, 05:39 PM
Also If you wnted to know, Production carries over too

Does anybody know if the same bug exists for production? If I'm building a cavalry in my Heroic Epic city, will the overflow applied to a bank be double?

Zombie69
Mar 15, 2006, 05:46 PM
The bug existed for production but was corrected in the last patch. Hopefully it will be corrected for science in the next one.