View Full Version : Citizen initiative poll: Should we allow citizen initiative polls to be private?

donsig
Mar 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
This is a citizen's initiative poll.

Link to discussion thread. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164884)

Link to another discussion thread. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=165009)

Should we allow citizen initiative polls to be private?

Yes
No
Abstain

This is a private poll.
This poll will be open for four days.

Chieftess
Mar 28, 2006, 06:18 PM
What's a citizen initiative poll in plain English? :)

Strider
Mar 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
All polls should be private.

DaveShack
Mar 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
This poll fails to be an initiative by the same test the other poll fails by. If you had not made the tactical error of making this private, then that aspect of it would not be an issue.

For someone who seemingly wants to always be a stickler about process, you're racking up quite a record for not following the process.

Vind2
Mar 28, 2006, 07:30 PM
What's a citizen initiative poll in plain English? :)
I'd like to know too.

Swissempire
Mar 28, 2006, 07:48 PM
For someone who seemingly wants to always be a stickler about process, you're racking up quite a record for not following the process.

SOMEONE else sees the light.

And we really want him as our justice:eek:

Of course the other otion is me, so its lose-lose:goodjob:

DaveShack
Mar 28, 2006, 07:55 PM
Citizen Initiative: This type of poll is created by a citizen, is binding by itself and over other kinds of polls, and can only be superceded by another initiative. Needs to follow the polling procedures and standards. If the Censor defines a process for initiatives, needs to follow that process.

Referendum: This poll is created by an official while exercizing the duties of their office, is binding, but can be overridden by an initiative or another referendum. The key difference between a referendum and an initiative is who initiates the action. An initiative can be used to overrule an official who refuses to decide based on a poll, or to re-poll a question for which the initial conditions have changed. Needs to follow the polling procedures and standards. There is some controversy whether an official is free to act as a citizen and make a referendum into an initiative.

Opinion poll: A non-binding poll which can be posted by anyone, and which does not need to follow the rules relating to polls. Often used in cases where many options need to be limited for an official poll.

Private poll: Any poll must be private if it primarily concerns an individual. Elections, Confirmation polls, CC Jury polls, and CC Sentencing polls must be private.

Donovan Zoi
Mar 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
SOMEONE else sees the light.

And we really want him as our justice:eek:

Of course the other otion is me, so its lose-lose:goodjob:

Swiss, this is where you step in as Censor and invalidate a poll rather than let it carry on for two days.

As for me, I would normally abstain from a poll that breaks standard procedure, but I will vote No here just in case. :groucho:

Swissempire
Mar 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, maybe i should?
But then again, the poll DOES end during Ravensfires term.

But what the hey.

INVALID

donsig
Mar 28, 2006, 08:42 PM
As for me, I would normally abstain from a poll that breaks standard procedure, but I will vote No here just in case. :groucho:

Just wondering... are you voting *no* because you disapprove of the form of the poll or are you voting *no* because you want citizen initiative polls to be public?

Vind2
Mar 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
INVALID
You really like that stamp dont you ;) It realy get the job done.

donsig
Mar 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
It's a nice stamp but since this is a citizen's initiative and not an official poll the censor's stamp as well as the censor's procedures pertaining to citizen initiatives are irrelevent. Please read the duties of the censor as established in our code of laws.

Swissempire
Mar 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
I have another one that says Valid, but donsig doesn't give me much chance to use it;)

Methos
Mar 28, 2006, 09:35 PM
If donsig is correct in that a citizens initiative is not an official poll than he is also correct that the Censor (in this case, Swiss) has no official bearing on either of these polls.

My question is, is donsig correct in that a citizens initiative poll is not an official poll?

Swissempire
Mar 28, 2006, 09:45 PM
That is for a JR to decide. But i think someone else should file it.

Tubby Rower
Mar 29, 2006, 07:47 AM
I voted no because poor Dinsog is an invalid. It's not nice to taunt him SwissEmpire.

Methos
Mar 29, 2006, 08:10 AM
Rather than state it again, please read my statement (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3868129&postcount=47) from this thread.

In summary, the Censor (Swiss) does not have the authority to close this poll.

Cyc
Mar 30, 2006, 04:24 PM
No, we should not allow citizen initiative polls to be private.

donsig
Mar 31, 2006, 02:41 AM
No, we should not allow citizen initiative polls to be private.

Why? I missed the big transition from private to public polls. What is so good about public polls or so bad about private polls?

Cyc
Mar 31, 2006, 05:07 PM
Why? I missed the big transition from private to public polls. What is so good about public polls or so bad about private polls?
:cool: donsig, my old friend. I find it hard to believe that you missed all the discussion threads and polls about public/private polls in Demogames past.

I will not argue the benefits or problems of public polls with you now. I've spoken up for public polls enough. BUT, I will say a bit about Citizen Initiative Polls and why they should be public.

Simply put, the type of poll is called the Citizen Initiative Poll, not the masked avenger poll, or the sheepish follower poll, or some other name that takes away the importance or the calling of this poll. The essance of this type poll asks the citizens of our nation to come forth and state their preference on an issue of utmost importance. This is the highest level of polling. A citizen should be proud to participate in a poll such as this. Proudly place their name next to the option they choose.

I could go on, but I would just be rehashing all the things that have been said before. And you're probably not going to agree with me anyway, so what's the point? ;)