View Full Version : GRAPHICS: Highways/Railroads

Kuratko
Feb 18, 2002, 09:17 AM
Hi everyone,

there have already been a couple of mods that change the railroads appearance so it seems that some of you do not like the originals. While I think that the main problem is that railroads are too strong in the default rules so that everyone is forced to railroad every square in one's territory to stay competitive (and even worse - this is hardcoded) which leads to a really ugly look of the screen, I also tried to make my proposal of making the railroad graphics better looking.

So here it is: I have combined both railroads and highways in the railroads.pcx file. Highways are oriented vertically and horizontally (dark grey with white dotted centerline) and railroads are limited to diagonal directions (light grey with brown edges). To install simply [backup and] rewrite the original railroads.pcx in the \Art\Terrain\ folder.

I am not a graphics guru so there is a lot to improve. Feel free to do so if you like the idea. I also thought about combining this mod with the urban city sprawl someone else already created.

Let me know what you think.

Kuratko.

Edit: See also newer versions below...

Old version deleted after 51 downloads.

Kuratko
Feb 18, 2002, 09:26 AM
And here is how it(v2.1) looks in game:

Khalid01
Feb 18, 2002, 12:55 PM
Even though I haven't tried it yet it looks pretty good, I really like the detail on the highway. My suggestion would be able to give the option for us to have either pure highway or pure railroad, rather than a combination, because, personally, I like the highway better.

Thanks!

Desk With Ants
Feb 19, 2002, 05:28 AM
This looks great, at least on your attached image! Not nearly as cluttered and boring as the default railroads. I'll have to try this out on a heavily industrialized map!

But please leave the railroads in -- replacing rails with highways will look just as boring as rails only...

Besides, it would be rather peculiar to see early industrial nations covered with modern highways. Railroads have been the most important part of the infrastructure in many countries, and still is very important in most places.

The urban sprawl-idea have its drawbacks. The mod you're referring to covered the map in skyscrapers too early on, in my opinion. Since there aren't any way to use different graphics for different eras, I'd skip that idea. Or perhaps use lower buildings that can represent both modern suburbs and early 1800:s buildings. The best thing would be if these buldings just showed up in the most heavily railroaded parts of the map. And, please, no wonders in the suburbs...

The combined railroads/highways is a good idea anyway! My only gripe would be that the highways look a bit low-res, but that can be just your image. I'll try it out myself.

Kuratko
Feb 19, 2002, 07:53 AM
Khalid: There is already another mod the offers highways only. But I feel that this is still too boring though better than the original as the curling resembles rather higways than railroads.

Desk: I tried to combine both, I do not like railroads only, the railroad net is too dense and I found it interesting to substitute half of the railroads with highways. You can view them also as paved roads of industrial time, if you want, and thay look like that a little as long as the transportation net is not too dense, I hope.
Concerning the urban city sprawl, I also did not like the particular implementation (by BlueO) as it offers too many buildings (and too modern, I agree), wonders are silly and you can hardly find the cities themselves. I work on something less intense.

Kuratko

Kuratko
Feb 19, 2002, 07:56 AM
I have made a couple of corrections:
- higways are made darker to have a little more contrast with terrain
- some centerlines corrected

v1.1 deleted after 9 downloads.

Kuratko
Feb 19, 2002, 10:37 AM
Version 2 incorporates some building to simulate the suburbs/villages. This is probably not enough but I am afraid of making the tiles too full of stuff. I might add some more buildings after some testing.

Let me know what you think, please.

Kuratko
Feb 19, 2002, 10:39 AM
V.2.0 screenshot (from editor):

Kuratko
Feb 20, 2002, 06:53 AM
Added more buildings...

Kuratko
Feb 20, 2002, 06:55 AM
Again, from the editor:

Thunderfall
Feb 20, 2002, 09:06 AM
Kuratko, please read the files forum usage FAQ regarding attachments:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=61

You can replace old attachment with new ones.

Octavian X
Feb 21, 2002, 10:10 PM
Looks good. I go this over blueO's since it is much less cluttered. I will admit, though, that the superhighways will look odd in 1700, but that will change with time. Keep up the good work.

joost1110
Feb 26, 2002, 01:45 AM
Everything looks great, just the railroads look a little odd, too much black and white I think, maybe you could make it a little bit more gray.

kettyo
May 06, 2002, 02:07 PM
Made a version of Kuratko's highways/railroads for myself WITHOUT any buildings. I think this could be much better for people using modified mine/irrigation graphics which also place buildings on the fields.

I hope Kuratko don't mind... :)

There's a newer vesion present some posts below.
This version was removed on 03.08.2002 after 111 downloads !

Octavian X
May 13, 2002, 09:19 PM
I would recommend making those highways darker, and wider is possible. I have been playing with these graphics for a while, and I still keep on thinking that those highways are railroads, also. Maybe you could use less buildings, so as to reduce clutter a bit more. My thought is that, in the real world, there are some areas were no one has built anything. They are just open, barren fields. Perhaps make some buildings that are just small clusters of houses.

Shabbabaram
May 21, 2002, 11:01 AM
Hey man, this looks great! Can I steal your idea and put buildings on all the irrigation tiles? So then they actually look like farms instead of pointless water soaked land!

Kuratko
May 21, 2002, 11:14 PM
Feel free to do whatever you want.... Good luck!
Kuratko

ufftyuwe
May 28, 2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Kuratko
And here is how it(v2.1) looks in game:

it looks terrible (in my opinion)...

kettyo
May 29, 2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by ufftyuwe

it looks terrible (in my opinion)...

It looks much better without buildings.
Download and try it.
At least much better then the spiderweb-like default railroad network.

kettyo
Aug 03, 2002, 12:52 PM
I've made highway lane drawings of a softer white color (kuratko used the brightest white possible) which blends much better.
I think highways look and blend better with this setting than before (and on the pictures above).

I can't attach images so please download and try when interested.

Updated on 29.09.2002

Rory_20_uk
Aug 09, 2002, 07:51 AM
Excellent - I think that one of my major probs with the game has to be how everything ends up in mash of railroads that are not even slightly like real life. Good on yer for doing something about it!

Desert Fox
Aug 11, 2002, 10:55 AM
Double Post

Desert Fox
Aug 11, 2002, 10:56 AM
:D I have to admit I was hesitate at first to try your graphics. The imagines do not do it justice. I am sure others already have told you but here it is again. You did an excellent job on highway railroad scheme. I was actually thinking about civ2 scenario designer who made some very enjoyable scenarios. Ring World, Hidden, etc. I liked the way he did them in civ2. Good job I really enjoyed seeing the nice graphics and the sprawl. :)
Now if someone could work on the brown roads and bring some life to them. Maybe farm, or something :). (Hint) :goodjob:

Desert Fox
Aug 15, 2002, 07:55 AM
I was just wondering if you could take the time to clean up the tiles where your cool highways and railways go. Meaning, they are not uniform and make your land look messy once they build most squares with them. It makes them not match up correctly and some look real wierd. I love the concept I just hope you have time to finish it up. :) Maybe you did this on purpose to make them look different on all tiles? No offense just a request if you could. thanks!
:D :cool: :p

Kuratko
Aug 15, 2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I know that what I have done is far from being perfect and thanks to kettyo for partially improving it. As I already said I am not much experienced with graphics editing so my intention was just to put an idea in the hope that someone else could bring it to perfection if it finds some audience.

I am currently too busy to return back to my railroads. Feel free to try that yourself, anyone, if you can.

Happy civing...

kettyo
Aug 20, 2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kuratko
my intention was just to put an idea in the hope that someone else could bring it to perfection if it finds some audience.

Maybe Snoopy... :D

Desert Fox
Aug 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
Hey now that is a great idea. Snoopy seems to be the best terrain artist we have in the community. Some real good attempts at creating the terrain, some not to bad, some really aweful. I personally have always loved his graphics. His latest one looks really impressive that will hopefully be on the XP disk. Okay Snoopy, did I pump your head up big enough yet? It would be a great realistic terrain mod for some with the ability to make it uniform :). :D

Spacer One
Sep 07, 2005, 05:39 PM
Sn00py best?...Hmmm I like Rhyes terrain better, but I play with both depending on the scenario... I agree that Sn00py is one of the best, but there is at least a tie for first between the two of em, if not a third or fourth unnamed party.

With that said, I love the highways...Im so sick of the rails twirling all over my land like sea sick balerinas(spelling?)...great work...

Supa
Sep 07, 2005, 05:58 PM
You know, answering a 3 years old thread just to say you don't agree is a little light :)
Most of time, bumping a very old thread without a good reason is not well received on these boards.

EuropeanFury
Sep 07, 2005, 06:10 PM
Most of time, bumping a very old thread without a good reason is not well received on these boards.

::goes and posts in a bunch of 5 year old threads::

jk :p