View Full Version : Question on domination win.

Gumbolt
Apr 14, 2006, 04:50 PM
Okay played a few games on Monarch and i always seem to end on a cultural win.

I think my domination radar needs tweaking.

Whats is the best strategy for this? An early axeman rush with 6-8 Axemen? For me this is normally enough to capture a few cities and cripple a nearby civ or 2 on my island/continent. Eventually wiping 1 or 2 out if i attack early enough. Even with 2-3 cities of 13 or so cities come 1300ad producing units i soon become 200,000 or so military strength behind compared to other leading civs on the other side of the world. I cant control what i dont see!!!

Perhaps a network of cities pumping out units capturing cities if affordable. Tried this today had 8 other civs on my island. Used about 10 cities with 8 pumping out swordsmen/ axemen/ catapults. The french have a military the same size of mine somehow but seem respectful of me.

So for domination do you?

1. Concentrate all cities to military production from start perhaps leaving capital for wonders and other items? How would this method translate to a global domination if you dont keep up techwise after using all your cities to produce units?
2. Set up a empire with 2-3 cities pumping out units while others produce great people, commerce, granaries and aqueducts etc. Perhaps leaving you weak in military compared to the leading AI. How do you translate this to attack another force acrosss the channel. Esp techwise and lack of infrastructure. This method will normally leave me in charge of my continent heading for a cultural win.

In civ 3 i used to rack up 100+ units and land on the other side and do my magic. Then again i dont have 50 or so cities to do that on civ 4. :cry: :cry:

Any further tips would be great. A simple axemen rush dont make a domination win but perhaps a cultural win. Hmmmmm

I can post some games if needed.

Gumbolt
Apr 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
Can someone move this to the right forum section. Meant to post in strategy and tips.

Done. :)

Gumbolt
Apr 15, 2006, 07:17 AM
Hereditary rule with Nationhood seems to work well. My average city has +9 happiness at moment. For each unit i draft i make 3 unhappy and 1 happy when unit arrives. So i can effectively draft 4 units a turn over 8 cities for the 10 turn period. 40 units in 10 turns. That should help my unit production. Thats more units than i have seen some people produce all game.

I have started to use vassalage before nationhood arrives to give my units the extra experience.

Sort of changing this to tips for domination win thread. it'll work better that way.

The-Hawk
Apr 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
So for domination do you?

1. Concentrate all cities to military production from start perhaps leaving capital for wonders and other items? How would this method translate to a global domination if you dont keep up techwise after using all your cities to produce units?
2. Set up a empire with 2-3 cities pumping out units while others produce great people, commerce, granaries and aqueducts etc. Perhaps leaving you weak in military compared to the leading AI. How do you translate this to attack another force acrosss the channel. Esp techwise and lack of infrastructure. This method will normally leave me in charge of my continent heading for a cultural win.

For me, option 2 is generally closer to the mark... with one exception.

First, the exception: If I am going for a fast military win, then I will research axe's (or praets) and then almost totally focus on building/chopping military units in all cities. In that case, it feels more like option 1. This approach is necessary at immortal or deity level. You simply don't have time to waste doing anything other than spamming military. If you don't knock the AI's back immediately, they will run away from you. Once you've whupped up on the AI's, then you can think about building commerce and science.

However, if I think I have (or need) more time, e.g. on continents or islands, then I won't ignore tech and infra. I will specialize a couple of cities on commerce/science and a couple on production. Captured cities will become one or the other depending on their terrain.

In any event, when going for a military win, I never build wonders or research religions. Those are simply distractions.

A simple axemen rush dont make a domination win but perhaps a cultural win. Hmmmmm

I beg to disagree... it depends on the map. A simple axeman rush can easily make a domination win on pangea!

Gumbolt
Apr 15, 2006, 10:26 AM
Dont get me wrong im a axeman kind of guy. I mean I like an axeman rush. Hold on i mean i like an early war. On Pangea probably more effective.

The fact is on my current game concentrating on military production im still now only 50,000 ahead of the japs or french in terms of military.

I think a key strat on domination is wipe out the aggressive AIs early. Japanese/ Romans/ French.

Just noticed nationhood costs 1 population of a city but its still good.

Heres a copy of a game that appears to be going all wrong across the ocean. Notice the religion across sea and fact no one is now trading. Grrrr.

I was hampered by heavy jungle at the start and boxed in. Where is this win gonna come from. :(

The-Hawk
Apr 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
To be honest, I am a little confused. The topic of the thread is about domination, but it looks to me (from your current builds) like you are trying to win via culture.

If you are trying for a culture win, then you should tweak some things… for example, get Tarsus 100% on artists so you can start spamming GA’s. Also, stop building banks and things and focus totally on temples and cathedrals.

However, I’ll assume you are looking for advice on how to go for domination, not culture (and it may be too late for culture):

- I think domination is very possible from here. Other than being distracted by religions and culture production, you’ve done fine so far. :goodjob:
- Most important, your economy looks good. You have plenty of commerce to go for domination.
- It looks like you've done OK on techs, although you've probably spent too much time on unimportant techs. For example, at this point, I don't see what liberalism is going to do for you. Saladin is ahead of you on techs, but he always seems to tech well. I would get Miltrad asap and start spamming cavs and cats. If you can build up a good cav/cat force before the others start building lots of rifles, I think you can roll them up.
- I would stop all builds that are not growing your military. Hermitage does nothing for you, nor do the missionaries and temples. I see where you have some banks and markets underway. I suppose you should finish them, but when they are done, get back to building units (and boats to carry them).
- The situation on the other continent looks ok to me. No one civ is dominating, so I think you have time to get after them. Use one of the civs you have borders with as a base of operations to go get one of the other civs. I would be inclined to use Peter as my base and attack Saladin, mostly because Saladin seems most likely to launch a spaceship first. Only concern with Saladin is he already has Miltrad, so you may find yourself in a real slugfest. But given the late date, I think he needs to be trimmed back.
- Once you’ve finished with Saladin, you turn around and have at your then-to-be-ex-pal Peter.
- You’ll need to clean up Mansa and Qin at some point as well, but I would get established on the other continent first. Holding all of your continent, as well as Saladin’s and Peter’s land, may be enough for domination. If not, you’ll need to have a go at one of the others.

Gumbolt
Apr 15, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hmm i might go back to the save i posted to have a bash at the domination win.

Its interesting on my Russian game at mo using the all out military approach and building commerce/ court houses building wheres profitable i am doing better techwise than the other game i posted.

Its around 1500ad or so and I have declared war on the Japs and for the fourth time in the game the French have come to my aid and declared war on the Japs for 3 free techs. I have a good tech lead over everyone. I have gunpowder and Mil traditions. The others are on pikemen and knights still. I have a military 100,000+ bigger than nearest rival.

I figure once the threat of Japan and France is gone im home and dry. If i can leave France and Japan to fight i will sit and watch. I dont think I will need to take out both. Im spamming Cossacks and drafting to keep up musketeers. Population and happiness is not a worry as i have 15-20 cities. The other 6 civs 3 are destroyed and the other 3 have 1-4 cities left and are small fry having already destroyed all their starting capitals.

I really do have to start using the Sea and learn how to breach a continent before i move up to the next level. To date i have mostly played on land for most of my wins. To be fair though i have avoided a lot of the financial civs to date. Did I say Russian??

I think when i have acheived the Russian win i will try a new map where i have a better start and try for domination. I posted the Russian game as a different example.

Off to bed ttfn

Kalleyao
Apr 16, 2006, 02:21 AM
Check out HoF (http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/index.php?show=maps&condition=Domination&difficulty=Deity). Look at the player logs.

Gumbolt
Apr 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
Okay the Russian game was won with a score around 54k. Finished around 1740. Took out all the Jap cities in 1 war. 13 cities in all. I then built 5-7 cities using settlers as i was short on land. my war with French two turns from end was ended by the win.Longmen. macemen, pikemen and knights are no match for cossacks :)

Well a continent dominatin win is a first. Now for the sea part.

I'll be back.

The-Hawk
Apr 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
Check out HoF (http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/index.php?show=maps&condition=Domination&difficulty=Deity). Look at the player logs.

You might also want to look at GOTM spoilers. They tend to include explanantion from the posters as to why they made the decisions they made.