View Full Version : Questions & Answers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

ZachScape
Jan 17, 2009, 09:09 AM
True. It's easy to do things horizontally, but one you go halfway right on Civs like England, France, Spain, Rome, America, ect., I can't tell what the tile to the north or south is.

For ex: I often see Arabia get the Conquerer event first (It's really cool). But they don't change the city names. So I wanted to be able to change tile names like the Mexico City plot, the New York plot, and some others in the New World. Hopefully somebody will do this in the next patch (*Hint-Hint Wink-Wink*)... but I know they are busy. So I am hoping for an Alt History mod that changes place names like this for me.

AnotherPacifist
Jan 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
What would disabling certain victories "officially" do to the AI? I haven't played generic BTS for a while but would it make the AI not go for space race every single time if you disable it, and try going for mass media sooner for a diplo victory or accumulate more culture?

onedreamer
Jan 18, 2009, 05:07 AM
The AI only goes for Space Victory from my experience. Certain leaders do occasionally try another victory, but in RFC leaders change so I think disabling Space Victory is a bad idea.

Mr_M0ntana
Jan 19, 2009, 03:22 AM
Thats the point, I can't disbale certain victories on RFC, either its my game, laptop or the mod itself. Plus anyone who wants to be militaristic on RFC be Germany!! just don't make America your vassal if it has the great depression civic! Also for the expansion rating you have to constantly expand, as I had the largest empire in the world but I only had a two star on expansion!!

onedreamer
Jan 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
you must edit the .ini file in the mod's directory to allow custom games. Then you can start a custom game with the options you want.

Mr_M0ntana
Jan 19, 2009, 10:15 AM
you must edit the .ini file in the mod's directory to allow custom games. Then you can start a custom game with the options you want.

ok thanks i'll try to find where the .ini files are, cheers

deanej
Jan 19, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just be careful - the reason the .ini file disables custom games is to prevent people from accidentally breaking something (such as removing a civ).

Nerowannabe
Jan 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
I wanted to ask if there's a list some where of specific units in Rhye's and fall that look different depending on the civilization or culture group. Like take for instance the Asian chariot it looks different then all the other chariots (that look alike except the war chariot). Or the mesoamerican knight it looks different than a middle eastern knight.

I know this might sound confusing but if you understand what I'm saying and know where I can find it I'll sure appreciate it.

blizzrd
Jan 24, 2009, 10:56 PM
There is a mod which can do what you are looking for. You're looking for this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=279708

Nerowannabe
Jan 25, 2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks blizz very helpful :goodjob:

New question I'm attempting to achieve the viking uhv and I like to play games as realistically as possible.

If I wanted to build a city in Iceland (or Greenland) would it count as a city in America?

Rhye
Feb 02, 2009, 03:23 AM
No it won't.

wolfigor
Feb 02, 2009, 04:45 AM
Real life wind-powered naval battles depended on wind, teamwork, and intuition, all of which are beyond the modeling capabilities of the current generation of game-systems.
Try to play "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" an old Pc game from the 90's, you may get positively surprised. :)

However I do agree that navy could be improved in CIV... but in a way that the AI can manage as well.
Make it too complex and the AI will be never able to use it effectively.

asakyo86
Feb 05, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hi everyone, im new to this forum.
I want to thank Mr. Rhye for creating this wonderful mod.:goodjob:
I just have one question...:confused:
I downloaded the warlords version and loaded the mod, the game starts, I choose a civ, wait for the autoplay turns, then my civ is born, but when I click on the settler, the game crashes...I've tried to fix it by deleting the custom assets and doing other stuff, but still the same...my civ warlords is ver 2.08...
I really need help...:sad:

Rhye
Feb 05, 2009, 05:12 AM
very strange. Does it happen with all the civs?

asakyo86
Feb 05, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah...but I only deleted the contents of custom assets...do I have to delete the folder itself? and also for both the original civ 4 and warlords? or warlords only?

Rhye
Feb 05, 2009, 05:58 AM
surely for both. You can backup them and restore when you need.
If you delete the folder, it'll just recreate empty ones, so it's perfectly safe once you've moved your content somewhere else

asakyo86
Feb 05, 2009, 05:59 AM
surely for both. You can backup them and restore when you need.
If you delete the folder, it'll just recreate empty ones, so it's perfectly safe once you've moved your content somewhere else

Thanks bro...:)
I love your mod man...
I'll try it out...:cool:

asakyo86
Feb 05, 2009, 06:02 AM
Oh, Mr. Rhye, is there a varitietas selectas(?:confused:?) mod for rfc for warlords?:)

Panopticon
Feb 05, 2009, 11:40 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=279708

asakyo86
Feb 07, 2009, 09:52 PM
I downloaded the warlords version and loaded the mod, the game starts, I choose a civ, wait for the autoplay turns, then my civ is born, but when I click on the settler, the game crashes...I've tried to fix it by deleting the custom assets and doing other stuff, but still the same...my civ warlords is ver 2.08...
I really need help...:sad:

Its still doin the same thing...:confused:

Wessel V1
Feb 08, 2009, 02:19 AM
You have to upgrade your warlords version to v2.13

JediClemente
Feb 14, 2009, 03:23 AM
Rhye, forgive my impatience, but when are you going to post the stability maps in the new wiki? I've been waiting for weeks...

FloridaSunShine
Feb 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
Need some help. Some UHV's call for something to happen by a certain ERA. Been looking but can not all the techs that will start each ERA. I know Phsyic - Industrial and Radio - Modern but can't figure out the rest that start those and other ERA's.

blizzrd
Feb 15, 2009, 12:40 AM
There is more than one tech that advances to the next era for each era. I'm pretty sure that Flight will also advance you to the Modern Era for instance.

The way I can check which ones do this is to use the F6 screen and hover over techs. I think you can only see the techs that will advance you to your next era at any given time though.

dragodon64
Feb 15, 2009, 01:26 AM
It has to be your next era and directly researchable.

For example, Machinery can move you to the middle ages if you're still classical, but only if you're able to research it (so if you don't have Metal Casting, it won't say will advance to medieval era on its F6 description).

FloridaSunShine
Feb 15, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info. Did not know about F6.

FloridaSunShine
Feb 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks again. I got it. Start Egypt. Go into Worldbuilder. Set all techs for any era. Go back to the game and all tech that you can research will take you to the next era. So then you can figure out which path you want to follow. Have to do it in RFC because they are different from Civ4.

blizzrd
Feb 16, 2009, 02:29 PM
Need some help. Some UHV's call for something to happen by a certain ERA. Been looking but can not all the techs that will start each ERA. I know Phsyic - Industrial and Radio - Modern but can't figure out the rest that start those and other ERA's.

For the record:

To advance to the Classical Era:
Horseback Riding, Aesthetics, Mathematics, Alphabet, Monarchy, Metal Casting, Iron Working, Code of Laws

To advance to the Medieval Era:
Music, Philosophy, Civil Service, Feudalism, Theology, Machinery

To advance to the Renaissance Era:
Military Tradition, Printing Press, Astronomy, Education, Military Science

To advance to the Industrial Era:
Steam Power, Communism, Physics, Biology, Steel

To advance to the Modern Era:
Rocketry, Plastics, Radio, Ecology, Refrigeration

To advance to the Future Era:
Stealth, Fusion, Genetics

ZachScape
Feb 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
This is more a RF Europe question:
When is RFE going to exit the WIP stages and enter the 'anyone can play this stage'? I know I can download it now, but I'd rather wait until it is completed (I know it will always be worked on, but I think you know what I mean).

Wessel V1
Feb 17, 2009, 09:36 AM
It's playable enough already. At first I thought the same, but it is really exciting to play. And, more people working on it means that it will be finished sooner.

sk8er AG
Feb 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
anyone know where i can download Rhyes and fall europe? (unrelated but nowhere else to ask)

blizzrd
Feb 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295451

jessiecat
Feb 20, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm currently working on a civ-specific list of Great People for inclusion in RFC Europe. Does anyone know where I could find the complete list of historic names used in RFC or in Civ4 BTS? I've tried searching through the code but I just can't see it.:confused:

Edit. Oops. Finally worked it out in the code. Thanks anyway.

dragodon64
Feb 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
As China, does the Army of 120 units include naval/recon and workers?

Virdrago
Feb 21, 2009, 02:02 PM
Navy and workers, no. I think only land units with an attack rating count, which excludes scouts/explorers as well.

ThurinEthir
Feb 23, 2009, 04:08 PM
Does the 2-city rule for respawns still apply?
Because I was going for a Spanish culture victory...Got the conquerors, decided to destroy the Aztec and Inca for a 2/3 UHV (Also settled first in America). I kept one city in each area for myself, razed the rest.
Yet the Aztec still respawned, late in the 18th century. When I was looking at the replay, it said something like:
Ciudad de Mexico (Spanish) was traded to the Aztec Alliance
Ciudad de Mexico (Aztec) was traded to the Aztec Alliance
No, there were no other cities in Mexico. I made sure of it. I even checked later, the Aztec received no other cities that turn. :confused:

Virdrago
Feb 23, 2009, 07:30 PM
Not always. I've seen one city respawns with Portugal and France. Babylon may only come back with one city sometimes, though personally I've never actually had them respawn even once, strangely.

dragodon64
Feb 23, 2009, 08:06 PM
What are the time limits for the conquerors event? I keep missing it...

Also, are respawns tied to a particular time era? I've seen Egypt and India re-spawning a lot in the 16th-18th centuries regardless of whether they collapsed in the BCs or that same millenium.

ThurinEthir
Feb 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Not always. I've seen one city respawns with Portugal and France. Babylon may only come back with one city sometimes, though personally I've never actually had them respawn even once, strangely.

Oh, okay.
I was actually looking around at the python codes yesterday, I think some civs have a higher chance of respawning. With a higher number meaning a more common respawn, Babylon is a 30. (Out of 100, I think)
Other extraordinarily low ones are Carthage and Mali, and I'd guess Maya (Don't have BtS), with 35. Makes sense, you really don't see them respawn much...

BurnEmDown
Feb 24, 2009, 06:04 AM
Also the more civs to have Nationalism the more chances of other civs to respawn, and of course civs can respawn only after a civ researched Nationalism.

blizzrd
Feb 24, 2009, 03:54 PM
What are the time limits for the conquerors event? I keep missing it...

There is no "time limit" as such, but there are some conditions on when the conqueror event can be triggered.

The first non-American civ to establish contact (i.e. be able to talk to their leader by seeing either one of their units or their cultural area) can trigger the conquerors if the date of first contact is at least a certain number of turns (I think it is 10?) since the native American civ spawned. If contact is made too early, the contact has to be lost and then re-established (after another set of 10(?) turns) before the conqueror event can be triggered.

The event is not supposed to trigger if you cannot see the cultural boundaries of the native American civ when you first make contact (i.e. with a workboat). But I have my doubts about this always working correctly from my personal experience. But this is certainly how it was supposed to work.

Also, are respawns tied to a particular time era?

They occur only after the discovery of Nationalism (by any civ).

The Turk
Feb 27, 2009, 06:41 AM
I'm having a real big problem with the China UHV. I can easily get the first 2 UHV (temples and don't lose a city), but when I try to get 120 units my economy fails and my units start to disappear. Does anybody know how to deal with a HUGE army?

Sciguy001
Feb 27, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hey I have a few very importnat questions:

1. Can you switch civilizations more than once, ie. start as Rome, transfer to Germany, transfer to America?

2. With the scenario that was included with BtS and you wanted to play Arabians or such can you have it autoplay through 3000BC to 600AD instead of starting on a premade 600AD map?

Thanks in advanced :)

Soda
Feb 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hey I have a few very importnat questions:

1. Can you switch civilizations more than once, ie. start as Rome, transfer to Germany, transfer to America?

2. With the scenario that was included with BtS and you wanted to play Arabians or such can you have it autoplay through 3000BC to 600AD instead of starting on a premade 600AD map?

Thanks in advanced :)

1. No
2. Yes, use the 3000 BC 'unlocked' map. I don't think it came with the CD, but you can get the latest version of RFC here.

BurnEmDown
Feb 27, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, start the unlocked 3000 BC version and pick the Arabs, you will start at 600 AD.
About the switching civs more than once, I think someone released a modmod for it, check the modmod forum.

Rhye
Mar 04, 2009, 02:28 AM
I'm having a real big problem with the China UHV. I can easily get the first 2 UHV (temples and don't lose a city), but when I try to get 120 units my economy fails and my units start to disappear. Does anybody know how to deal with a HUGE army?

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_-_Chinese_strategy

dragodon64
Mar 05, 2009, 04:20 PM
Can vassals declare war on independents without the masters permission? And does walking on independent territory count as "military action" that has to be avoided for 10 turns for peace?

Sciguy001
Mar 05, 2009, 08:52 PM
How do you make peace with independents, anyways?

Rhye
Mar 06, 2009, 03:47 AM
dragondon: yes (iirc) and yes
sciguy: wait a few turns, it's automatically restored

JediClemente
Mar 06, 2009, 02:57 PM
So Rhye, the stability maps...???

kolhite
Mar 07, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

My first post on these forums. I've got a bit of conundrum and wonder if someone might be able to help me out.

Just played RFC (with Vanilla 1.74) on Monarch as India, going for the UHV. I obtained the religious victory conditions pretty early on; the problem I'm having is with the requirement for #1 population in 1200AD.

In 1200AD, I didn't achieve the historic victory, although I was, according to the F8 screen, ahead of my nearest known rival, China, in terms of percentage of world pop. So, figuring I had been beaten out by a civ I had either lost or not yet made contact with, I decided to go into world builder to see how close I had come. Well, even after finding and contacting all civs, F8 still showed that l was number one in population, and China was still my closest competitor.

I figured the barbarians might count as a kind of invisible state that wouldn't show up on the F8 screen, so I deleted some barb cities, since they had a bunch. No difference.

So, by random experiment, I deleted a Chinese city, and voila, victory. I tried this a few times---if I load in 1200AD and hit enter, no victory. But I win if I load the same save in 1200AD and then delete a Chinese city, or even take a single point of population from China's top three cities. Yet, even before I edit the Chinese, F8 tells me they have 13% of world pop to my 15.09%.

I don't think city population points translate to raw population linearly (right? does anyone know the rule for that, btw?), but, for what it's worth, China has 60 total population points to my 67. On the other hand, they have larger cities.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Totally confused :confused:

deanej
Mar 07, 2009, 12:27 PM
I believe pop growth is exponential. There's a thread in the BtS forum that explains that if you kill off half your pop points using slavery you're actually killing over 80% of your citizens in the city.

BurnEmDown
Mar 07, 2009, 01:01 PM
yes, since each time your pop grows, is grows by more % than it did last time, so you would have:
1 pop - 10 citizens
2 pop - 25 citizens
3 pop - 48 citizens
4 pop - 90 citizens
5 pop - 150 citizens

Get what I mean?

kolhite
Mar 07, 2009, 01:36 PM
yes, since each time your pop grows, is grows by more % than it did last time, so you would have:
1 pop - 10 citizens
2 pop - 25 citizens
3 pop - 48 citizens
4 pop - 90 citizens
5 pop - 150 citizens

Get what I mean?

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. That's useful to know for this scenario, in particular. Someone in the main forum also tipped me off to the fact that you can check your actual population by scrolling over the bar at the top of the city screen (which I guess I never saw a reason to do before :lol:).

I'm also attaching a save of the game I'm talking about. If someone can clear up my confusion, then you will have my eternal gratitude (at least, as close to eternal as I can get).

If you're wondering about all the MAs and destroyers---when I went back to the autosave to test, I dropped a bunch around to make contact with everybody, then filled my cities with embassies (also gave myself a bunch of random techs out of frustration :) )

It was a pretty fun game---you'll see that I got over China in pop (according to the F8 screen) by invading Persia and was about to make 1200AD just as my economy tanked completely.

EDIT: thanks also for your reply deanej!

BurnEmDown
Mar 07, 2009, 02:27 PM
In simpler terms: A 2 pop city is bigger than two 1 pop cities.

kolhite
Mar 07, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, got that (thanks), what I was still wondering about was the fact that I had a larger percentage of total population according to the F8 screen, but yet was still losing the 3rd victory condition.

I now see that according to the demographics screen (which I had simply forgotten about), China IS indeed 1st in population.

Although I would still like to know how it is possible that China can have a larger population, and yet have a smaller percentage of total world population according to
the F8 screen.

Hitti-Litti
Mar 07, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure, but maybe the F8 screen just counts the amount of pops without calculating the real population.

kolhite
Mar 07, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure, but maybe the F8 screen just counts the amount of pops without calculating the real population.

Yeah, that could be. It would be useful to know, for domination victories, if that's the case.

Counting just the pop points that appear on the city bar, I have 67 to China's 60 (if I counted right), or China has about 90% of my pop points. The F8 screen gives China at 13%, me at 15.09% of (what is ostensibly) total world population. Judging by that, though, China should have about 86% of my pop points.

Doesn't match exactly, but it's close (closer than if you try to reconcile F8's percentages with the demographics screen, where I have 8,367,000 and China has 10,511,000 people)

Could be I added the pop points wrong.

The discrepancy also could have something to do with China needing 70% of world pop to win domination, as opposed to the 33% for India.

It doesn't have anything to do with the foreign population of captured cities not counting as *your* population in demographics, but nonetheless counting towards the domination limit (the entire population of a captured city adds immediately to your population in demographics).

Sorry if anyone finds this question simply tedious---or if I'm going OCD here---but now I just wanna know what the heck is going on with these calculations!

Soda
Mar 07, 2009, 06:59 PM
F8 counts population points, which is what domination victory is based on. The scores for other civs seem to be rounded to the nearest percent.

The demographics screen counts real population, which is what India's historic victory condition is based on. Each city's real population is proportional to (population points) ^ 3.2, which is larger than non-RFC Civ (where the exponent is 2.8).

AnotherPacifist
Mar 07, 2009, 10:28 PM
When is a person not a full person? When you employ various methods for doing your census and do zoning tricks like the Republicans did.:lol:

dragodon64
Mar 08, 2009, 01:09 AM
F8 counts population points, which is what domination victory is based on. The scores for other civs seem to be rounded to the nearest percent.

The demographics screen counts real population, which is what India's historic victory condition is based on. Each city's real population is proportional to (population points) ^ 3.2, which is larger than non-RFC Civ (where the exponent is 2.8).

Ah, thank you! I have been trying to figure out how the population system worked for so long! And while it does show how big "big" ancient cities were (size 3 or 4 = a few dozen thousand) compared to big modern cities (size 25=~8 million) it also implies that when population sextuples (1 to 2 in normal civ) output only increases about 50%... whereas in real history increases in population increased output per capita through specialization.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not; I'm just throwing some thougths out there. And frankly, this population system is great, I wouldn't have it any other way.

kolhite
Mar 08, 2009, 07:18 PM

:goodjob: Aha! Great, now I know! And the rounding then explains why the numbers were a little off (as per my last post).

I like that the exponent is raised in RFC; it makes this scenario with the Indians a little trickier. It means you need to balance expansion with wonder-building/GP-farming early on. It's easier to focus first entirely on getting your oracle for theo and christianity, your prophets to bulb divine right for Islam, and then fill out the subcontinent, build up a military and maybe take a few persian cities. If I had one more early city that had reached size 13, say, prolly would have gotten my UHV.

DroopyTofu
Mar 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
I'v just recently started playing RFC (I love it), and had several questions about England's UHV. When it says "found at least 3 cities on each continent by 1730 (i think 30)", could someone give me the definition of "found". Can I build the 3 cities, but not defend them and let the barbs capture them, and it still count. Can I grant independence to them? Does N and S America count as one or two continents? I'm guessing Antartica does not count? Does Britian count as Europe? Can I capture the needed cities?

Thanks in advance for the help to my numerous questions!!!

blizzrd
Mar 16, 2009, 06:51 PM
I'v just recently started playing RFC (I love it), and had several questions about England's UHV. When it says "found at least 3 cities on each continent by 1730 (i think 30)", could someone give me the definition of "found". Can I build the 3 cities, but not defend them and let the barbs capture them, and it still count.
Yes. You have to have used 3 settlers to found cities on each continent, i.e. by hitting the 'b' for build button yourself.

Can I grant independence to them?
Yes, or lose them to respawns, or to instability causing them to declare their own independence from your empire. You don't have to keep any of the cities, just have founded them before the deadline.

Does N and S America count as one or two continents? I'm guessing Antartica does not count? Does Britian count as Europe?
Check the RFC Atlas for the English UHV areas, as to what constitutes each continent.

Can I capture the needed cities?
No.

Thanks in advance for the help to my numerous questions!!!

You're welcome! ;)

DroopyTofu
Mar 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks. I won that game, and actually was able to keep all my colonies with a fairly stabl economy.

DroopyTofu
Mar 19, 2009, 03:09 PM
Okay, one more question. Are the difficulty levels on RFC equatable to the ones on normal Civ IV? What are they approximatly the same as? I usually play on Warlord or Noble, but have been using Viceroy since I was new to RFC, but it seems fairly easy.

Wessel V1
Mar 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
According to the xml files, Viceroy means Chieftain or Settler, Monarch means Prince and Emperor means Deity. However, someone who could normally win a game on Noble, can win a standard game on Monarch if he's used to the mechanics. There are some special rules and hidden factors, that make a civ easier or much harder. It's all about details.

blizzrd
Mar 19, 2009, 05:52 PM
Standard difficulty in RFC is Monarch. Viceroy is not supposed to be a challenge in any way. Emperor is supposed to be a challenge (and it certainly is).

AFAIK, the UHVs were tailored to be possible on Monarch but not necessarily so on Emperor. Some UHVs can be completed on Emperor, but not all.

EDIT: The base stability of your civ is one level higher on Viceroy (i.e starts as Solid) and one level lower on Emperor (i.e. starts on Unstable). On Monarch, you start out in the middle (Stable).

DroopyTofu
Mar 19, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I think I'll try a game on Monarch next time.
One more question (sorry, I'm really a noob at RFC), I was playing Portugal and doing great. I had captured/collapsed Spain and was still Solid in stability. I had the first UHV (best map by 1500) through map trading. I had open borders with almost everyone I knew when 1650 came around. The victory condition says to have Open Borders with 7 civs in 1650. I didn't get the 2nd UHV, and I had many more that 7 OP.
I thought I might have had too many Open borders,so I laded a autosave from the turn before the dead line and canceled a bucnh of Open Borders. After several times of not getting it, I gave up and went on to try for a diplo victory. Anyone know why what would have been a great victory ended up messign up? I had vassals of Monty and HC, but had had Open Borders befor they became vassals. Do they count as 2 of the 7?

blizzrd
Mar 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
The victory condition says to have Open Borders with 7 civs in 1650. I didn't get the 2nd UHV, and I had many more that 7 OP.

The Portuguese UHV condition is for 12 open borders agreements in 1650AD, not 7.

I had vassals of Monty and HC, but had had Open Borders befor they became vassals. Do they count as 2 of the 7?

Vassals should count as civs that you have open borders agreements with (as long as you make this diplomatic pact with your vassals - it isn't automatic).

Tigranes
Mar 21, 2009, 12:28 PM
Ok, I think I need some help, guys. Playing Emperor Spain, the year is 1455. Santo Domingo founded as a first European city in the New World. Aztecs done. However I capitulated Incas and liberated Cusco. Never read the wiki to avoid spoilers. What can I do to make them free again? I have lots of time until the 2nd UHV deadline and owning Viceroyality of Peru does not count as "controlling Incas lands" (I wonder why, makes perfect sense to me). Their landmass is now 138% of the master's (me), and they can be free if they have 50%. Why don't they choose the freedom? Should I close borders and make them furious with me? What can I do besides restarting?:dunno:

AnotherPacifist
Mar 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
keep demanding tribute from them. If your power ratio to them is too high, they will probably keep giving, but you might get lucky and they'll declare war on you.

Tigranes
Mar 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks!

I was not sure if capitulated vassal can actually declare a war to the master just becouse of the tribute.

On the second thought maybe I should just collapse them? Found cities in Phillipines, perhaps, and gifting them to Incas? (Ironically Viceroyality of Mexico was governing Phillipines). But I have less than 20 cities and I am afraid this will collapse me rather than them:lol:

blizzrd
Mar 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
If your capitulated vassal has two of the three conditions for freedom met and you demand something from them, they should declare war on you and break the vassalage.

If your vassal was voluntary, I don't think you can ever get rid of them.

AnotherPacifist
Mar 21, 2009, 09:38 PM
If your vassal was voluntary, I don't think you can ever get rid of them.

Sure you can. Say you're Spain and you have vassalized France voluntarily (when they are down to Paris and Rennes because you razed Bordeaux and Marseilles). Declare war on Germany and watch your vassal die. Then swoop in and capture those 2 cities yourself.

The Incas unfortunately are too far away for the AI to invade. Collapsing them with far flung cities, demand that they switch civics when they're unstable, and use spies to destroy their improvements.

Better yet, don't vassalize them.

Walliard
Mar 22, 2009, 05:58 PM
Just curious: what leaderhead does the Warlords version use for Hammurabi?

blizzrd
Mar 22, 2009, 08:31 PM
Sure you can. Say you're Spain and you have vassalized France voluntarily (when they are down to Paris and Rennes because you razed Bordeaux and Marseilles). Declare war on Germany and watch your vassal die. Then swoop in and capture those 2 cities yourself.

That's not actually the same thing as you getting rid of them, rather the AI doing it for you. I have serious doubts that the AI could actually pull off the annihilation of a human player's vassal myself.

mitsho
Mar 23, 2009, 05:22 AM
Just curious: what leaderhead does the Warlords version use for Hammurabi?

A Cyrus in disguise

flyingchicken
Mar 23, 2009, 09:47 AM
Someone should upload the BTS one if legal.

Cethegus
Mar 26, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm trying to modify the RFC myself and currently I'm trying to add Damascus as a Byzantine city in the Middle-East in the 600 AD start. However, I can't figure out how I could modify the Arabian spawn map so the area around Dimashq could be left as a blind spot, much like in Jerusalem's case.

Also, I want to move the Chinese spawn area (the capital spot) a litte southwards, delay the Vikings start and modify the Scandinavian spawn area a bit so they'll spawn some time around 9th or 10th century as the Swedish civilization but I lack the know-how how to do it. Now, I know a little XML myself (already added new units, buildings, wonders, graphics and resources to the core game) but I'm certain this is more Python-oriented than that. :crazyeye:

So, what files do I need to edit and how so I can have an independent Byzantine Damascus in the 600 AD start, move the core areas of a few civs and delay their start a few centuries succesfully? If possible, the Chinese spawn area would remain the same it is currently in the 600 AD start but change in the other one. (It would be the same in the Arabian spawn area's case)

EDIT:
I figured out how to move capitals around and leave blind spots in the spawn areas, but the problem regarding differing capital region in different starts still remains.

Cethegus
Mar 26, 2009, 07:11 PM
Another question, how can I add more buildings without the RFC taking them as yet another embassy?

Crbarber22695
Mar 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Is there a way I can play as the Celts on RFC for BTS? Or are they just an unplayable minor civ?

blizzrd
Mar 29, 2009, 07:02 PM
They are an unplayable minor civ, only found in the 3000BC start. They are replaced with the Byzantines in the 600AD start, who are also an unplayable minor civ.

Modders have been trying for some years to get the Byzantines to be playable, with several hundred posts in a thread within this forum on the subject.

If they are ever successful, I suppose the same procedure should be possible on the Celts though.

Mr_M0ntana
Mar 30, 2009, 02:38 AM
When I was Germany by 1945CE I had conquered England, Scotland, Ireland, Scandanavia, France, Greece, Italy, some Russian cities and had Netherlands, Inca and Portugal as vassals. My empire was unstable (but my expansion rating was one star even though I has just taken over all of Great Britian and Greece!) and it suddenly went into civil war, but I thought all my conquered countries would declare their independance first? Is it just by chance that happened?

Virdrago
Mar 30, 2009, 01:07 PM
It could be either or.

blizzrd
Mar 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
When I was Germany by 1945CE I had conquered England, Scotland, Ireland, Scandanavia, France, Greece, Italy, some Russian cities and had Netherlands, Inca and Portugal as vassals. My empire was unstable (but my expansion rating was one star even though I has just taken over all of Great Britian and Greece!) and it suddenly went into civil war, but I thought all my conquered countries would declare their independance first? Is it just by chance that happened?

Your expansion rating goes up if you conquer territory that your nation historically occupied. A lot of your territory, while required for the UHV, is not actually historically German territory, hence your low expansion rating.

If your civ is Unstable, there is a chance each turn that one of your cities will declare independence. There is also a chance after you have learnt Natioanlism that an extinct civ will be reborn within your territory (e.g. Greece).

But if your civ is Collapsing, there is a chance that you simply descend straight into civil war - game over.

mikebert
Mar 30, 2009, 05:54 PM
I am thinking of buying a new computer so I can play RFC without so much waiting. I went to the Best Buy site and looked at gaming machines. I didn't understand any of the specifications. (I lost track of what these things mean after the Pentium III)

A popular choice has the following:

Intel Core i7 920 processor
3GN DDR3 memory,
DL DVD RW/CD-RW Drive
Labelflash support
750 GB hard drive
Windows Vista Home premium 64 bit with SPI

This is in a Gateway machine for about $1 K. It got good reviews, 87% of 104 reviews recommended it. I did not see a specific mention of a graphics card in this specification, is it built into the processor?

Is this something that would work well for Civ IV BTS - RFC? Or is it not compatible?

If not, can someone give a set of specifications that makes this mod play fast?

Thanks

dragodon64
Mar 30, 2009, 10:04 PM
If a city is founded on a tile that is on or adjacent to the spawn location of a future civ, will that city always be destroyed upon spawning? Is there any chance to get them to "adopt" the city as their capital instead?

Virdrago
Mar 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
I don't know what happens in the code, but I find around 80% of the time the city is destroyed and replaced, and the other 20%, it becomes the capital. That, of course, is just what happens on my computer. I'm certain others never see it.

ThurinEthir
Mar 30, 2009, 10:20 PM
If a city is founded on a tile that is on or adjacent to the spawn location of a future civ, will that city always be destroyed upon spawning? Is there any chance to get them to "adopt" the city as their capital instead?
If a city is founded on the tile that a civ spawns on, and you (the human) own that city, then you'll be asked if you'll allow it to be flipped (along with any other cities in the flip zone). If the AI controls the city, I believe it is destroyed, as is the case with Gordion/Sogut, which I mentioned in the thread about Christianity and the Arabs.
As for adjacent, I think it simply becomes the AI's capital. I was going to try a game as Rome, and instead of controlling Madrid/Paris/whatever, I would have a city adjacent to those tiles. When I did end up trying it, I lost the GW to the Persians by a turn or two, and then got overrun by barbarians. I think I'll try it again sometime soon.

Opferlamm
Mar 31, 2009, 02:15 AM
I am thinking of buying a new computer so I can play RFC without so much waiting. I went to the Best Buy site and looked at gaming machines. I didn't understand any of the specifications. (I lost track of what these things mean after the Pentium III)

A popular choice has the following:

Intel Core i7 920 processor
3GN DDR3 memory,
DL DVD RW/CD-RW Drive
Labelflash support
750 GB hard drive
Windows Vista Home premium 64 bit with SPI

This is in a Gateway machine for about $1 K. It got good reviews, 87% of 104 reviews recommended it. I did not see a specific mention of a graphics card in this specification, is it built into the processor?

Is this something that would work well for Civ IV BTS - RFC? Or is it not compatible?

If not, can someone give a set of specifications that makes this mod play fast?

Thanks

it should be fast enough, it would be could if you could find out what kind of graphics card is included

Mr_M0ntana
Mar 31, 2009, 03:58 AM
Your expansion rating goes up if you conquer territory that your nation historically occupied. A lot of your territory, while required for the UHV, is not actually historically German territory, hence your low expansion rating.

If your civ is Unstable, there is a chance each turn that one of your cities will declare independence. There is also a chance after you have learnt Natioanlism that an extinct civ will be reborn within your territory (e.g. Greece).

But if your civ is Collapsing, there is a chance that you simply descend straight into civil war - game over.

Ohhh ok thanks - not game over I kinda cheated by loading an auto save a few turns before collapsing and put most of my army in my capital and am taking most of Europe back, Russia has declared war on me but I keep nuking them anyways. :) And for some reason Portugal, Netherlands and Inca are still my vassals, can't they break free?

mikebert
Mar 31, 2009, 04:57 AM
it should be fast enough, it would be could if you could find out what kind of graphics card is included
I found a specs page:

Processor Speed: 2.66GHz
System Bus: 1066MHz
Cache Memory: 8MB on die level 2
System Memory (RAM): 3GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3
Hard Drive Type: SATA II (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size: 750GB
Graphics: ATI RADEON HD 4850
Video Memory 512MB

Is this sufficient to solve long between-turn waits in RFC and ocassional screen freezes/slow rendering?

Thanks

Opferlamm
Mar 31, 2009, 06:22 AM
I found a specs page:

Processor Speed: 2.66GHz
System Bus: 1066MHz
Cache Memory: 8MB on die level 2
System Memory (RAM): 3GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3
Hard Drive Type: SATA II (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size: 750GB
Graphics: ATI RADEON HD 4850
Video Memory 512MB

Is this sufficient to solve long between-turn waits in RFC and ocassional screen freezes/slow rendering?

Thanks

I don“t know if CIV supports multi-threading, but even one core with 2.66GHz should have enough power for fast games on world-size maps such as the RFC one

Mr_M0ntana
Apr 05, 2009, 02:34 AM
I easily did the control Istanbul by 1500AD (I'd be suprised at anyone who couldn't do it!) And I invaded Athens and settled just North of Greece, so I would control the Balkans, settled in the Crimea so all my CULTURE was over the black sea and invaded Persia even though Mesopotamia is modern day Iraq? I think I'm not very sure but by 1700AD I had Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Persia, Balklans and Crimea but when the year passed the game said I failed the "Control the Balkans, Balck Sea and Mesopotamia in 1700AD" historic goal, did I need to invaded Saudi Arabia (Saladin)?:confused:

mitsho
Apr 05, 2009, 04:24 AM
no, in the links thread you will find a map with the victory areas. The historic victory looks for the number of cities in the areas. You must have a) x cities (for balcans and mesopotamia i think it's 3) and more than cities than the natural owner of the region.

jessiecat
Apr 05, 2009, 03:17 PM
Tihis may seem a newbie question but I've played Civ 4 from the beginning and could never really understand what determined the type of GP produced by a city. I'm always getting GEs when I really want GAs, for example. I believe that you should be able to plan the exact type of GP produced but I just don't how to do that. Can anybody explain it for me or show me an explanation somewhere? Thanks.

Walliard
Apr 05, 2009, 07:43 PM
Every specialist, wonder, and national wonder produces Great People Points(:gp:) per turn of a certain flavor. Let's say you're running a scientist in a city with the Oracle.

Scientist: 3 :gp:/turn, Great Scientist
Oracle: 2 :gp:/turn, Great Prophet

After 18 turns, you'll have the 90 :gp: needed for your first GP. Since 3/5 of the :gp: are scientist, and 2/5 are prophet, you have a 60% chance of a Great Scientist and a 40% chance of a Great Prophet. To be sure of getting a certain type of GP, you need to exclusively produce one flavor of :gp:.

Mr_M0ntana
Apr 06, 2009, 12:47 AM
no, in the links thread you will find a map with the victory areas. The historic victory looks for the number of cities in the areas. You must have a) x cities (for balcans and mesopotamia i think it's 3) and more than cities than the natural owner of the region.

ohh ok thanks :)

jessiecat
Apr 06, 2009, 11:53 AM
Every specialist, wonder, and national wonder produces Great People Points(:gp:) per turn of a certain flavor. Let's say you're running a scientist in a city with the Oracle.

Scientist: 3 :gp:/turn, Great Scientist
Oracle: 2 :gp:/turn, Great Prophet

After 18 turns, you'll have the 90 :gp: needed for your first GP. Since 3/5 of the :gp: are scientist, and 2/5 are prophet, you have a 60% chance of a Great Scientist and a 40% chance of a Great Prophet. To be sure of getting a certain type of GP, you need to exclusively produce one flavor of :gp:.

Thanks for that. I guess I'm not paying as much attention to specialists as I should.

blizzrd
Apr 06, 2009, 05:14 PM

Where did the Links thread get to? Was it removed, or unstickied?

Tynnin
Apr 08, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and I have a question. I'm putting together my own MOD and I loved Rhye's feature of having civs start at different times. So, my question is - does anyone know how Rhye does this (or, if you're out there Rhye - how do you do it?)? This might be proprietary information but if it isn't I would love some pointers on how to do this.

This might be a question that was already asked and answered but frankly there are a lot of pages in the Questions and Answers thread and so a bit cumbersome to read through.

mitsho
Apr 08, 2009, 05:49 PM
Where did the Links thread get to? Was it removed, or unstickied?

I don't know... ;-) seems to have vanished, but you'll find the links in the download here-thread.

ZachScape
Apr 08, 2009, 06:04 PM
I have a feeling that some people here are familiar with the Japanese language.
I was wondering what that Japanese city name would be in the Pearl Harbor spot. Since I couldn't find a World map with Japanese city names in english text, I input Pearl Harbor into a translator. I got "Ha-ba-shinju." Can somebody tell me if that is right or if there is a better option?

JediClemente
Apr 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and I have a question. I'm putting together my own MOD and I loved Rhye's feature of having civs start at different times. So, my question is - does anyone know how Rhye does this (or, if you're out there Rhye - how do you do it?)? This might be proprietary information but if it isn't I would love some pointers on how to do this.

This might be a question that was already asked and answered but frankly there are a lot of pages in the Questions and Answers thread and so a bit cumbersome to read through.

It's all in the python files. Spawning dates are defined in Consts.py and controlled in CvRFCEventHandler.py, I think.

Just try to understand all those files.

Wessel V1
Apr 15, 2009, 07:28 AM
Where can I find the richness of other civs (for the Mali UHV)? Can I find it with the world builder or should I look into the save itself?

Crbarber22695
Apr 15, 2009, 01:21 PM
Will another verison of RFC be released sometime soon for BTS cause I think it would be kind of neat to be able to play as the Native American Empire.

BurnEmDown
Apr 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
Rhye has made it clear that the Native American Empire won't be a playable nation, tho I think others could mod it so they were playable - check the Byzantine's thread.

ThurinEthir
Apr 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
Where can I find the richness of other civs (for the Mali UHV)? Can I find it with the world builder or should I look into the save itself?

You can find it with Worldbuilder. Using the "Edit City" tool, select a city from another civ and somewhere in the pop-up there'll be something about gold. I believe that is how much gold that civ currently has.
I don't think there's any other way to do it, unfortunately.

DroopyTofu
Apr 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
I think this works in RFC; I haven't played Mali yet. If you hit F9 (i think) it will bring up the score/power/espionage/etc. graphs. If you have enough espionage, you can see other civs graphs for gold. You can also go to the bottom and click on the other different tabs. I think it is demographics. One of them should be gold, and ti ranks you.

dragodon64
Apr 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
The demographics page ranks your economic output per turn, not treasury balance, which is what the Malinese requirements judge by.

DroopyTofu
Apr 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
Oh, nevermind. That's helpful to know.

Duke of Awesome
Apr 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
it seems that every time that i play a game my economy is always 2 or even 1 star. and i almost collapsed because of this! i have to run commonwealth every game (which doesnt seem to do much) what i want to know is how the economy stability is rated.

Samson
Apr 19, 2009, 04:35 AM
it seems that every time that i play a game my economy is always 2 or even 1 star. and i almost collapsed because of this! i have to run commonwealth every game (which doesnt seem to do much) what i want to know is how the economy stability is rated.

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_ guide_to_stability#Economy_category

Basicaly you need to keep growing. I find that a sudden growth spurt followed by stagnation (as all your cities are at a happiness cap), heavy use of slavery and the plague are all the worst things for economy stability.

Duke of Awesome
Apr 19, 2009, 07:38 AM
thanks. i realize that most if not all my cities have not changed in the last century. so basically i need to find more hapiness resources right? that would help with my low imports and my happiness cap

eris23
Apr 21, 2009, 11:44 AM
lately i was having this rather strange thing with quests...whenever i get them i m told to build 20 forges, libraries, castles and so on. who the hell has 20 cities? i mean, when i got the quest i had 8 (as germany, including rome and greece) but that was all the expansion i was gonna do for another 200 or so turns

on that note (having greece), why cant i raze konstantinopel? i mean i get the option, but it appearantly ignores my choice and still occupies it. and i hate to rely on wb just for that.

btw, wasnt there a modded eventfile that increased the probability of quests...
what would make things even better is to have several quests at the same time, since for all i know they are mutually exclusive...i.e. you wont get other quests till you finish the ones you have...which is rather impossible with 20 buildings per city...i might have to use wb to get me another civs version of that building in all cities, so i can do it with 10

blizzrd
Apr 21, 2009, 03:13 PM
lately i was having this rather strange thing with quests...whenever i get them i m told to build 20 forges, libraries, castles and so on. who the hell has 20 cities? i mean, when i got the quest i had 8 (as germany, including rome and greece) but that was all the expansion i was gonna do for another 200 or so turns

The quest mechanic is currently broken. Rhye fiddled with it during the recent patch and it didn't work out. Hopefully he will fix it (reverse the change that was made) in the next patch.

on that note (having greece), why cant i raze konstantinopel? i mean i get the option, but it appearantly ignores my choice and still occupies it. and i hate to rely on wb just for that.

As I understand it, if a city tile has too much of your culture when you conquer it, razing the city doesn't work. Turkey, with their Unique Power spreading their culture everywhere in conquered cities, has a particularly hard time because of this.

eris23
Apr 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
ah thx for that quick answer. i suppose there isnt an easy solution or workaround for that...would replacing it with eventfiles from an older installation fix it or screw it up further...

also i dont think i had much of my own culture in konstantinopel, i mean the only city anywhere near it was budapest, maybe rome, and they were still developping.

Cosmos1985
Apr 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
How is it that you turn off the plague? Sorry for asking this as it has probably been answered a million times before, but 94 pages is a lot to read through :P

Is it by the way also possible to turn of stability?

phoenix7
May 01, 2009, 09:01 PM
For some reason, my game automatically progresses through turns even if I don't click the green circle. And I do have wait at the end of turns checked in the options. Is this a bug or a feature?

Walliard
May 01, 2009, 11:10 PM
It's a bug that results from switching civs. Try unchecking and rechecking the option. (and any others that got changed)

hookmonkey
May 12, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm playing the latest version (BTS) as Spain, 600AD start. I conquered Rome and got a Great Prophet but I can't build the christian shrine!

Rome is the holy city of christianity so that is not the problem.. what is wrong? I need the money! hehe :)

And another question. I conquered the Inca's and Aztecs. When America spawned I helped the English fight the Americans. I took about 4 cities and vasalized them. I gave them their cities back so it would be a strong vazal. Then the Incans declared independance which I refused. Then all of a sudden I went to collapsing and was left with only madrid. What did I do wrong? Should I have granted them independance? Should I have kept the American cities?

Wessel V1
May 12, 2009, 01:37 PM
The shrine is already pre-built in Jerusalem, to give the Arabians an advantage, and to make Rome less crucial for European victories.

hookmonkey
May 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Aha thank you very much, do you think it would be worthwile as Spain to conquer Jerusalem for the $?

Wessel V1
May 12, 2009, 01:59 PM
No, it would take too much effort and it is hard to keep the city from Arabia and Turkey anyways. Also, the profit won't be that huge since the city will stay small (few weak tiles to work) and the maintanence costs will be high. If you're going for the UHV, France, the Netherlands and Brittain are much better options, their cities are in the end much better than the shrine.

hookmonkey
May 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yep going for the UHV (or atleast 2 of the 3 conditions) on monarch. In the game I played I collapsed late in the game, so I'm a little worried taking France or England out as it would really hurt my stability. Or is this not as much a problem as I think it is?

Last game I could have easily conquered France (minus Paris which the Germans conquered early in the game) since it collapsed and was all independants but I didn't exactly for this reason.

Walliard
May 12, 2009, 04:43 PM
A little bit of ahistorical expansion shouldn't hurt that much. I routinely collapse England, France, and Holland to make the UHV easier, keeping London and a couple good French cities. Most of the time, it's Economy Stability that's the killer.

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_ guide_to_stability

Shron
May 15, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hey, I was wondering how to gift recently conquered cities (let alone any cities) to vassals. It seems to me that any time I try to do that, my diplomacy screen only shows the resources, techs, and world map/gold etc. drop-downs. Is there another way to do this that I'm missing, or was this something that used to be possible and was taken out? Just wondering, thanks.

Walliard
May 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
You can;t gift cities to vassals unless it's a "Liberate" option. One of the tricks is finding vassals that will accept cities over wide stretches of land. Mali, for instance, will accept most if not all of Africa.

Shron
May 15, 2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but recently I haven't been able to see the cities of my vassal and me in the diplomacy screen. It's like they're purposefully missing from there, seeing as I'm able to view them when trading with nations which aren't my vassals, yet not with vassals. Am I missing something obvious here, or does it not work anymore?

BurnEmDown
May 16, 2009, 06:29 AM
I think you need to go to F1 (Interior adviser) and then click on the hand-icon button in the bottom of the window, then you'll have some options for liberating cities (if it doesn't say to who then it's to independents).

blizzrd
May 17, 2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah, but recently I haven't been able to see the cities of my vassal and me in the diplomacy screen. It's like they're purposefully missing from there, seeing as I'm able to view them when trading with nations which aren't my vassals, yet not with vassals. Am I missing something obvious here, or does it not work anymore?

Sometimes, your vassals just wont accept cities from you anymore. They are much less likely to accept cities than your enemies actually. Beat up on your enemy (to the point that they are almost capitulated), and then look in the diplomacy screen. They will usually accept any city on the map from you at this time. Great for getting rid of "junk" cities when going for a conquest or dominaton victory.

Shron
May 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm actually trying to get a domination victory, so that will be useful if I happen to take cities that none of my vassals will take. I guess that you could give a bunch of crappy cities to your enemy to get them to collapse from over expansion, and then take their good ones from the Independents. Good advice, thanks everyone.

AnotherPacifist
May 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
Be careful though about cramming enemies: above the 4-5 cities limit is when they change from unstable to very stable from accepting cities from you. It may or may not change back to stable or less depending on where the cities are (e.g. Siberian cities are not so good for India).

dhe30
May 22, 2009, 04:25 PM
I downloaded the Mod for vanilla Civ4 v1.74 and put it in the mods folder.

When I start the game and load the mod, nothing changes. There's no new menu and no Rhye's and Fall scenario to play in single player.

I deleted the Custom Assets folder and nothing changed again. I'm wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the download. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here and hopefully this hasn't been covered already.

Thanks

Opferlamm
May 23, 2009, 05:31 AM
I downloaded the Mod for vanilla Civ4 v1.74 and put it in the mods folder.

When I start the game and load the mod, nothing changes. There's no new menu and no Rhye's and Fall scenario to play in single player.

I deleted the Custom Assets folder and nothing changed again. I'm wondering if maybe there is something wrong with the download. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here and hopefully this hasn't been covered already.

Thanks

in which mod folder?

onedreamer
May 25, 2009, 04:22 AM
What did I do wrong? Should I have granted them independance? Should I have kept the American cities?

Yes to the first, no to the second.
Nations can declare indipendence after the discovery of Nationalism. You shouldn't have researched if you were aiming to the UHV.

Tigranes
May 30, 2009, 01:26 AM
Can anyone explain me how many continents RFC has in Africa? In my last Ethiopian game Statue of Liberty in Aksum had no effect for the city in the center of Kongo, not to mention South Africa. And in general is there any map showing invisible lines for the continents?

Wessel V1
May 30, 2009, 04:14 AM
I think Aksum is considered 'Asian' at the time you built the SoL, because Arabia has much interest in that area.

dragodon64
May 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
"At the time" as in the continental lines change over time?

deanej
May 31, 2009, 12:03 PM
The Africa line does, as does the tile Istanbul is on.

dragodon64
Jun 01, 2009, 08:58 PM
So does anyone happen to know when/how these lines change over time? It'd be pretty important for Ethiopia games.

blizzrd
Jun 02, 2009, 03:45 AM
From the changelog, I don't think the African continent shape changes dynamically. I think Rhye just changed it permanently:

African logical continent now only comprehends sub-Saharian Africa, causing Middle Eastern AIs to be much more aggressive in the Mediterranean, and Mail and Ethiopia to expand less. Thanks to Verily for the suggestion.°° As for Istanbul/Constantinople, I believe that it changes from Europe to Asia just before Turkey spawns.

deanej
Jun 02, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, that change happened in 1.182. Then in 1.183:
The African invisible line will move dynamically, so it won’t stop barbs anymore

Samson
Jun 06, 2009, 04:24 PM
So I have just seen the tip "In Rhyes and Fall of Civ. vassels can declare war". Does that mean that your vassels can get you envolved in a war at any time? Do they every do it, I have not seen it?

dragodon64
Jun 06, 2009, 10:23 PM
I know they do it against independents quite often, but I've never seen them declare war on another civ.

AnotherPacifist
Jun 07, 2009, 08:03 PM
Actually, Portugal or Netherlands declaring against Independents often makes them willing to vassalize to the human player, which puts you at war with them. And yes, a vassal can declare war, and sometimes you'll see that you have captured some faraway city that you have no troops near, just because your vassal did. (This happened a lot to me while playing conquest games, and it often screwed me up because I don't want the city and have to raze it)

The Turk
Jun 08, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hi, I was just wondering what the main diffrences are between RFC v1.184 and earlier versions like v1.181?

Thanks

Wessel V1
Jun 08, 2009, 03:31 AM
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_ changelog

dragodon64
Jun 09, 2009, 05:04 PM
Actually, Portugal or Netherlands declaring against Independents often makes them willing to vassalize to the human player, which puts you at war with them. And yes, a vassal can declare war, and sometimes you'll see that you have captured some faraway city that you have no troops near, just because your vassal did. (This happened a lot to me while playing conquest games, and it often screwed me up because I don't want the city and have to raze it)

Wait, so does this mean that when a vassal conquers a city it automatically transfers to you? I don't think I've ever had a vassal conquering a city before in RFC, so I wouldn't know.

AnotherPacifist
Jun 09, 2009, 05:09 PM
It depends on how far away that city is. Of course you have to be at war with that civ already (unless they are independent). It seems to be somewhat haphazard whether you get that city or not. E.g. the Dutch conquered a former Russian city for me when I played Germany, and it went to me (and I was allowed to disband it), but Turkey doing the same thing with Babylon (who just respawned) did not go to me.

Virdrago
Jun 09, 2009, 05:37 PM
I've only seen cities suddenly becoming mine with me as the Turks - I thought it was a bug but forgot to mention it. It's a little confusing.

Elenhil
Jun 11, 2009, 12:29 AM
Here's a question. I'm playing Egypt, Turks appearing, taking three Babylonian cities, we're both at war with them, Babylonia agrees to become my vassal. Babylonia is too weak, so I decide to liberate their cities to improve by vassal's stability - only to find that choosing a "liberate" option right after capturing a city incurs a -10 stability to Expansion. Now that's not worth sheding my blood for, I'd say!

Retaining the city and then liberating it through trade (this very turn) gives -5 Expansion, which is better, but still not satisfactory enough. Is there an even less destabilizing way to get rid of that city?

BurnEmDown
Jun 11, 2009, 02:43 AM
Liberating cities give you a bonus to stability if you've got more than 20 cities, I think.

Elenhil
Jun 11, 2009, 02:52 AM
As Egypt, I've less than 20, obviously. Though according to the guide the threshold is 15 cities. Anyway, it does not mention that liberating on conquer or through trade makes a difference. Perhaps there is a third option with no negative stability, then?

3Miro
Jun 11, 2009, 11:08 AM
A question to Rhye: What is the best way to update a mod to 3.19. I am actually modding the thing and I will have to figure out the new .cpp and .h files and how they interface with the rest and so on. Do you know of a better way or perhaps a reference on the new files and new .h interfaces and where all the code/changes go.

sk8er AG
Jun 19, 2009, 03:29 PM
A few weeks ago was going ontothe civ fanatics home page when the advertisement page for civsfanatics appears which it sometimes does. Then my anti virus stated three Trojans had gotten on to my computer while the advertisement was loading. A few weeks prior I downloaded an update for rfce which when loaded caused the computer to crash
My question is can I trust civfanatics and log onto it safely? Are downloads from civfanatics safe in general? Are the sites used to download rfce updates safe?
I understand no one will garantee saftey on this site but I would like to know what I put at risk logging onto and downloading from this site.
I also know this is likely an incorrect place for such a question but don't know where else to ask.

deanej
Jun 19, 2009, 04:06 PM
CFC is generally safe, but one of the ads submitted to the company and displayed on this site was malicious a while ago (I think it happened a couple of times). RFC should be fine.

3Miro
Jun 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
RFC is an official mod and Rhye and Firaxis will not put anything bad in it.

sk8er AG
Jun 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
Thank you for the Informing that cfc is safe, however, is there a chance that that advertisement or any advertisement containing a virus would be used again?

deanej
Jun 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
I don't think you can ever say never, but its been a long time since then without incident. To be honest, I hardly think about it now. If you're really concerned, you might want to check out a program called Sandboxie or get an ad blocker.

sk8er AG
Jun 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
Question another time:
Have updated to 3.19 patch. will I still be able to play rfc (of course not old saved games), but will the game still be as updated as it was before. ex. Naming of cities, Carthage settling Spain, Arabia looking to conquer north Africa?

Opferlamm
Jun 20, 2009, 01:54 AM
Thank you for the Informing that cfc is safe, however, is there a chance that that advertisement or any advertisement containing a virus would be used again?

Get yourself an anti-virus-programm, use Firefox or any other browser that has adblock-plugins

Question another time:
Have updated to 3.19 patch. will I still be able to play rfc (of course not old saved games), but will the game still be as updated as it was before. ex. Naming of cities, Carthage settling Spain, Arabia looking to conquer north Africa?

No, see here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=323925)

onedreamer
Jun 22, 2009, 10:03 AM
A few weeks ago was going ontothe civ fanatics home page when the advertisement page for civsfanatics appears which it sometimes does. Then my anti virus stated three Trojans had gotten on to my computer while the advertisement was loading.

If you have an antivirus and it found those trojans how did they get onto your computer ? You don't have guarantees from websites, you have them from your protection software.

The Turk
Jun 23, 2009, 03:57 AM
Does anybody know how to get the mod mod Decipher me now or I will devour you, the one that replaces the stonghenge with the Sphinx, because I've tried a billion methods each time it fails and crashes:)

Ready_set_go
Jun 24, 2009, 10:12 AM
Does anybody know how to get the mod mod Decipher me now or I will devour you, the one that replaces the stonghenge with the Sphinx, because I've tried a billion methods each time it fails and crashes:)

Smiley face on the crash?

It should be the same way you would make it any other way... Just put it into ur RFC folder....

(Back up ur folder first)

Cosmos1985
Jun 24, 2009, 10:22 AM
Im playing as the Mayas atm, can anybody tell me exactly which areas will be in the Aztec, and later the American, "flip-zone"? Thanks in advance.

Panopticon
Jun 24, 2009, 10:30 AM
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_ atlas

There are several versions of the atlas; the right one for you depends on your version of RFC.

BurnEmDown
Jun 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
Remember than accepting cities to the flip will cause you to lose the UHV.

AnotherPacifist
Jun 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
I thought never lose a city only means never lose a city militarily. This is the same for the Russians and Japanese.

BurnEmDown
Jun 24, 2009, 12:58 PM
Well I've never lost the UHV due to city flip since I never accepted it, but I did read so in the Maya UHV guide in Rhye's wiki.

onedreamer
Jun 25, 2009, 06:14 AM

you just replace files, there's only one method ^^

The Turk
Jun 26, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thats what I did but it crashed the game, but I'll try again maybe I made a bit of a mistake

Ready_set_go
Jun 26, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well, I got a question... I was playing a game as Russia, and Germany was advanced in ever way, at 1200 A.D. They had guns, and an army larger than the Turks spawn... How come even though they're so far ahead, they're always unstable/collapsing?

Ready_set_go
Jun 26, 2009, 08:20 AM
I also had another game recently, as the Turks... When I spawned, I met China, and when we traded World Maps, he already explored the New World, and had taken 2 Incan cities, and vassalized the Incas. This was a 600 A.D. start, so it's not like they started more advanced or anything...
My main question is, shouldn't there be a plague on the Europeans if Asia meets them first?

AnotherPacifist
Jun 26, 2009, 08:25 AM
About the Germans: If Amsterdam's culture is too strong, or Germany has expanded too quickly to get other civs' core areas, they will be unstable.
About the Chinese discovering America: yes, they do cause a plague in America, but there is no plague that strikes the Old World. (which is what I've been arguing in the other thread about adding to the next version)

Panopticon
Jun 26, 2009, 08:40 AM
I also had another game recently, as the Turks... When I spawned, I met China, and when we traded World Maps, he already explored the New World, and had taken 2 Incan cities, and vassalized the Incas. This was a 600 A.D. start, so it's not like they started more advanced or anything...
My main question is, shouldn't there be a plague on the Europeans if Asia meets them first?

The conditions in Europe and Asia were such that they effectively served as a unit for the spread of disease. There was enough contact for that to happen. For example, there was the Black Death, which spread westward throughout Eurasia. On the other hand, America and Eurasia were far more separate as ecosystems go, so there was less resistance to each other's diseases on both sides.

Ready_set_go
Jun 26, 2009, 09:51 AM
The conditions in Europe and Asia were such that they effectively served as a unit for the spread of disease. There was enough contact for that to happen. For example, there was the Black Death, which spread westward throughout Eurasia. On the other hand, America and Eurasia were far more separate as ecosystems go, so there was less resistance to each other's diseases on both sides.

So doesn't that make it seem more like there should be a plague for BOTH New and Old worlds? Let's look at the Columbian Exchange... So many different plants and animals were traded between the New and Old worlds, so it should only make sense that they both get a plague when that happens... I think that should go with AnotherPacifist's idea... I think it's a great idea btw.

Panopticon
Jun 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
There are gameplay issues, though. I am sure the New World plague has a role in making American civs easier to conquer, by removing their defenders. Even if an Old World plague is realistic, is it:
1. implementable? Unlike Americans, the Old World civs are packed very tightly together. So does only one civ suffer, or the whole of Europe?
2. proportionate? How many civs get affected? If the tech leader gets to America first, does that further the development of the slower researchers by subjecting them to a plague just as they were possibly catching up?
3. fun? Plague is not fun. Maybe it is necessary, but it's annoying.

Chalk me up with the cynics until I change my mind about those things.

Ready_set_go
Jun 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
I admit you got a lot of reason in your statements, but personally, the plague should either be for both, or for none. It makes the Spanish UHV way too easy, and it slows the already slow Namericans even more.
Quote:
If the tech leader gets to America first, does that further the development of the slower researchers by subjecting them to a plague just as they were possibly catching up?

Zagoroth
Jun 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
It would make some sense if plagues happened both ways, but they did not. Despite the Columbian Exchange, only America received a plague. This is probably because the majority of the European diseases were airborne, while the American diseases, yaws and syphilis, are not. Thus the European disease could transfer rapidly, while the American diseases would not.

AnotherPacifist
Jun 26, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thus the European disease could transfer rapidly, while the American diseases would not.
Depends on your definition of rapid. Syphilis killed quite a lot of people quickly when it "arrived" on the scene. (No comment on the sexual proclivities of the Old World civs):lol:

Ready_set_go
Jun 26, 2009, 04:13 PM
I feel so left out... I don't know what half of these dieseases are...

Zagoroth
Jun 26, 2009, 06:13 PM
Okay, fine, but did at least over fifty percent of Europe come down with syphilis? The point is that because of the way the diseases were transmitted, the Old World gave the New World a plague and not the other way around. If instead of yaws the New World had something similar to a flu, with a structure different from Europe, than most likely Europe would have gotten another plague. In fact Europe would have been hit harder than the New World because of the close proximity people lived near each other, but it was not and did not.

Ready_set_go
Jun 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
Yet, Europe had different diseases, and more animals. On the New World, they had more plants than animals, so less diseases, yet they could of had diseases that originated from plants?

Zagoroth
Jun 27, 2009, 08:21 AM
I am not sure animals can be infected with a plant virus, or vice-versa.

sk8er AG
Jun 27, 2009, 02:02 PM
any approximate time to know when the rfc for 3.19 comes out.

Chiyochan
Jun 27, 2009, 03:43 PM
this

also interested to know

Panopticon
Jun 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
This is a one-man mod and that man has only just begun updating the code for 3.19.

He has been kept on an island for the last few months to prevent his invading Europe.

Ready_set_go
Jul 01, 2009, 09:09 AM
It's already out, thread 1.185...

But, I have a question, it's not RFC specific though.

Can you start the game inside a mod, without going through opening the game, going to options, Load a Mod, restarting the game into a mod?

Zagoroth
Jul 01, 2009, 12:01 PM
It's already out, thread 1.185...

But, I have a question, it's not RFC specific though.

Can you start the game inside a mod, without going through opening the game, going to options, Load a Mod, restarting the game into a mod?

Yes, Go to Documents/ My Games/ Beyond the Sword. Open up the CivilizationIV.ini file. Scroll down to where it says Specify a Mod Folder. Replace the "0" with "Mods/ Rhye's and Fall of Civilization". No quotes.

dragodon64
Jul 01, 2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, the easiest way to do so is to go to the RFC mods folder, find the public maps, and make whichever ones you want to use shortcuts on the desktop. Opening those shortcuts will then take you straight to the choose a civilization page.

The Turk
Jul 02, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi I just recently downloaded RFC MP and I was wondering where I find people to play with since you need to set it up with another player first, is there like a forum or something?

Wessel V1
Jul 02, 2009, 09:09 AM
Exactly, there is a forum called Rhye's and Fall of civilization MP (which means multi-player). If you'd like to start a game, simply open a thread and ask people if they want to play a game let's say in about a week. Unfortunately, there are not many people that play RFC MP games (I prefer single player for example), so it could be that you have to plan the date a little later than you'd wish.

ZachScape
Jul 06, 2009, 11:47 AM
In a Japanese name for Pearl Harbor, what is the name?
Would it be:
-Pearl Harbor - Shinju Ha-ba, Pa-ru Ha-ba
-Harbor of Pearls -
-Harbor of Pearl -
-Harbor Pearls - Ha-ba-Shippou
-Harbor Pearl - Ha-ba-Shinju, Ha-ba-pa-ru

Pearl- shinju, pa-ru
Pearls- shippou
Harbor- ha-ba-
Of- IDK

dragodon64
Jul 06, 2009, 12:53 PM
I don't exactly quite Japanese, but if shinju is pearl and haba is used to mean harbor, then Shinju no Haba should mean Harbor of Pearl or Pearl's Harbor (I think).

JujuLautre
Jul 07, 2009, 02:57 AM
you know that haabaa is just the enligsh word right ?

In any case, what's your question exactly? How to say Pearl Harbour in Japanese ? Or how do Japanese call Pearl Harbour ?

ZachScape
Jul 07, 2009, 08:34 AM
When the Turks found or capture Jerusalem, it says: Kudus (or something). That is how the Arabic name is pronounced in English, right? Even though it is not the actual Turkish characters. So I am saying in an Alternate History scenario, what would the Japanese nae the plot 'Pearl Harbor' if they founded it? Not the Japanese characters, but the pronunciation w/e.

JujuLautre
Jul 07, 2009, 05:50 PM
Wikipedia says 真珠湾, which is read as shinjuwan; otherwise, パールハーバー, that is paaru haabaa (depending how you write it).

Not sure what w/e means, so not sure if I answered your question correctly.

ZachScape
Jul 07, 2009, 08:07 PM
What ever
Sort of like b/c = because.

But you answered it, thanks a lot.

Zagoroth
Jul 10, 2009, 10:36 AM
I was wondering, is it possible for the human player to be vassalized? Also the follow up, if that is impossible is there a way edit xml code to allow it?

Wessel V1
Jul 10, 2009, 01:03 PM
With the world builder: yes. Without: would require DLL changes. It would be interesting to see though.

Zagoroth
Jul 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
In Conclusion...: Never mind the previous questions if you read them. Vista was showing it's usual majesty by making the CityNameManager.py file a compatibility file after any edit. So even though it was in the folder, it was not being used by Civilization.

dragodon64
Jul 10, 2009, 08:20 PM
I know that haabaa, or haaba, haba, etc. are just romanizations of how harbor would be written in katakana, but thanks for clearing it up anyway. BTW, does Japanese have a lot of similar cases where there is a native Japanese word for something, but a foreign word meaning the same thing (in katakana) has common usage instead?

JujuLautre
Jul 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
BTW, does Japanese have a lot of similar cases where there is a native Japanese word for something, but a foreign word meaning the same thing (in katakana) has common usage instead?

I don't know about Pearl Harbour (never talked about that with anyone :p ) but there are quite a few yes. There are even foreign words for which Japanese equivalents were created; of course, no one uses them :p

Rhye
Jul 11, 2009, 11:50 AM
A question to Rhye: What is the best way to update a mod to 3.19. I am actually modding the thing and I will have to figure out the new .cpp and .h files and how they interface with the rest and so on. Do you know of a better way or perhaps a reference on the new files and new .h interfaces and where all the code/changes go.

sorry for the slow answer. When you asked the question I still was at Elba and couldn't even read the forum.

Get a program like Beyond Compare or WinMerge. I think they're shareware.
It will compare line by line every change that was made

Rhye
Jul 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
This is a one-man mod and that man has only just begun updating the code for 3.19.

He has been kept on an island for the last few months to prevent his invading Europe.

:lol::lol::lol:

Rhye
Jul 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, that change happened in 1.182. Then in 1.183:
The African invisible line will move dynamically, so it won’t stop barbs anymore

for iLoopX in range(48,63+1):
for iLoopY in range(22,33+1):
pCurrent = gc.getMap().plot(iLoopX, iLoopY)
if (not pCurrent.isWater()):
pCurrent.setArea(africaID)
print("Sahara now African")

Rhye
Jul 11, 2009, 12:05 PM

It's not easy to explain. I strongly advice to integrate your mod into RFC, rather than the other way round

Rhye
Jul 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
Another question, how can I add more buildings without the RFC taking them as yet another embassy?

SDK tweak. You need to edit CvCity, around line 2026 (if (eBuilding >= NUM_BUILDINGS_PLAGUE))

jsweeney
Jul 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
I don't know if this has been answered before, but how does rhye do the historic city names? I want to implement something like that in my own mod but have no clue how to.

Chiyochan
Jul 12, 2009, 07:23 PM
is there a map or some way to find out what city names are in what tiles? building and deleting cities in WB is pretty tedious

JujuLautre
Jul 12, 2009, 07:44 PM
it's all in ~RFCfolder/Assets/Python/CityNameManager.py

Chiyochan
Jul 13, 2009, 04:54 AM
it's all in ~RFCfolder/Assets/Python/CityNameManager.py

i assume you're talking to jsweeny, cause that doesn't show where the names are located

JujuLautre
Jul 13, 2009, 05:43 AM
Nope, was talking to you; I know it's not that easy to read, but it's the only place where the names are located. The matrix themselves are big maps corresponding to the map in RFC.

Perhaps it could be possible to paste that in any soft like openoffice calc or the one from crosoft so that it would be easier to read, I don't know.

-- edit: yup, pretty doable; I put them in openoffice and excel format with this post.

Zagoroth
Jul 13, 2009, 08:28 AM
What is the .ods file?

Steb
Jul 13, 2009, 08:36 AM
What is the .ods file?

OpenOffice.org

That free thing that you can use as an alternative to MS Word, Excel, etc.

Śmarth
Jul 13, 2009, 09:27 AM
Sun do a plugin to open them in MS Office.

Arkaeyn
Jul 13, 2009, 09:51 AM
Jsweeny, there are two parts of Rhye's city names which are different (and good!). First, in RFC, there's the naming based on location. Then there's the name changing depending on which civ owns in, and in a few cases, historical names changing to modern ones. They're two separate pieces of code. The latter is in place in RFC RAND, by the way, although some of the name in the list there are a little bit weak.

I was going to try to work on updating that, but I got distracted by, well, not playing Civilization for a few months.

jsweeney
Jul 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
Jsweeny, there are two parts of Rhye's city names which are different (and good!). First, in RFC, there's the naming based on location. Then there's the name changing depending on which civ owns in, and in a few cases, historical names changing to modern ones. They're two separate pieces of code. The latter is in place in RFC RAND, by the way, although some of the name in the list there are a little bit weak.

I was going to try to work on updating that, but I got distracted by, well, not playing Civilization for a few months.

ok thanks :)

Aharon
Jul 15, 2009, 06:52 AM
First Post :D

RFC is an excellent mod. I got it because it was shipped with the german BTS-Version I bought. Now I tried to update it, as I had seen on Rhye's page that several Victory conditions have changed, but it didn't work afterwards. Instead of the normal screen, the technology advisor came up. After clicking quit, nothing happened at all anymore.

Anybody got an idea what I could do?

JujuLautre
Jul 15, 2009, 07:11 AM
Remove the whole RFC folder and place the new one instead. Also make sure you have updated to the latest RFC patch (3.19)

Zagoroth
Jul 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
Here is a question for Rhye, or whoever knows the answer, What are the plot dimensions for the map? That is how many plots going horizontally and how many vertically. Also, which corner of the map is considered, "1,1" as I am trying to look at a map and the python script but I am not sure I am starting from the right location.

Rhye
Jul 15, 2009, 05:46 PM
124x68

fireclaw722
Jul 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
is it possible to add a civilization to this mod, and if so how because I would like to add a few modern American civs, i.e. Canada, Brazil, and a Central America. Also Rhye are you going to make a 1500 AD version because I hate waiting to play America, Turkey, and Aztecs/Mexicans.

Zagoroth
Jul 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
Is the bottom left coordinate 1,1?

Panopticon
Jul 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
is it possible to add a civilization to this mod, and if so how because I would like to add a few modern American civs, i.e. Canada, Brazil, and a Central America. Also Rhye are you going to make a 1500 AD version because I hate waiting to play America, Turkey, and Aztecs/Mexicans.

It is theoretically possible but very difficult. The hard limit is in the DLL - you must adapt an original civilization rather than creating a new one because there is a maximum of 32.

Panopticon
Jul 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
Is the bottom left coordinate 1,1?

I think it is (0,0) - but the 0 represents the lowest line of continuous ice.

Śmarth
Jul 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
It is theoretically possible but very difficult. The hard limit is in the DLL - you must adapt an original civilization rather than creating a new one because there is a maximum of 32.

Out of curiosity does anybody know why there's a hard-coded maximum? It's a thorn in the side of modders in the TW games too, but CA aren't nearly as good as Firaxis at making their games customisable. Given the effort they went to putting so much data in XML files, supporting python scripting, releasing the source code, etc. there must be a very good reason why there's a limit of 32 civs.

deanej
Jul 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
Because civ has to have the same number of teams on the map as the maximum, even if the teams are empty. Also, the allowed size of a civ's name in a scenario file is affected by the maximum. By default the limit is 18, but Rhye raised it to 32. It can be changed by modifying the DLL.

Zagoroth
Jul 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
Last question about the map... Is the eastern most point of New Zealand on the vertical plot 124?

Rhye
Jul 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
123. It goes from 0 to 123 (total = 124)

Zagoroth
Jul 16, 2009, 07:22 PM
ah ok, and that is eastern most point of New Zealand? Also thank you for the help.

Rod
Jul 17, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hi,

could somebody tell what are the factors which encourage respawn (or other way around how can I prevent a respawn in my territory.

See I am playing as Germans on Emperor and it is 1733 and I have England, France and Netherland under my control. (also Rome and Greece but I think these civs cannot respawn in 600AD start). The Vikings will research Nationalism in 7 turns and hence I start to get worried about respawns.

Unfortunately England collapsed despite having several cities out of England and I conquered only London, Manchester, Plymouth which left them with Inverness as the second capital.

However despite my expansion I have a stable stability (thanks to economy +38) and much happiness.

Is there the way just to keep my new citizen happy and being a stable state which will prevent their original states from returning from the grave ?

Wessel V1
Jul 17, 2009, 04:22 AM
All civs can respawn, although some are more likely to do than others. In 1733, what's your research level? I only play on Monarch and occasionally Emperor for easier civs, but the economic stability boost in the Industrial era (leevees, factories, custom houses, etc.) is huge. That usually keeps me solid for a while.

Panopticon
Jul 17, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hi,

could somebody tell what are the factors which encourage respawn (or other way around how can I prevent a respawn in my territory.

See I am playing as Germans on Emperor and it is 1733 and I have England, France and Netherland under my control. (also Rome and Greece but I think these civs cannot respawn in 600AD start). The Vikings will research Nationalism in 7 turns and hence I start to get worried about respawns.

Unfortunately England collapsed despite having several cities out of England and I conquered only London, Manchester, Plymouth which left them with Inverness as the second capital.

However despite my expansion I have a stable stability (thanks to economy +38) and much happiness.

Is there the way just to keep my new citizen happy and being a stable state which will prevent their original states from returning from the grave ?

If you are Stable, then respawning civs cannot take any of your cities. The problem is that as you continue to occupy England's core area, your stability will decline. Once you go below Stable, a number of factors are involved - health, happiness and distance from capital.

Rod
Jul 17, 2009, 06:45 AM
ok, well there is a good chance that I get my stability higher again. I dropped to stable, when I conquered England around 5 turns back (I saw in my espionage reports that England was 4 turns away from developing Rifling and I had just finished the same , hence I took my chance.)

So if I turn the workshops in England into watermills and cottages then I can keep the economy growing and moreover I am only a few turns away from democracy which will lead to a stable civics combination (currently I have hereditary rule, free speach, slavery, free market, organized religion (but no cities with more than 1 religion), subjugation - which leads to - 9 in civics)

as I want to switch to u.suffrage, free speach, emancipation, free market, org. religion, subjugation my civics rating should improve significantly.

I believe that I can finish the switch and anarchy before anybody develops nationalism.

In general I have now 17 cities, 80% science (positive money)

The world is in a state between mid age and renaissance - I am overall tech leader, but Portugal has developed Scientific Methods before me and the Vikings will dev. Nationalism before me.
Portugal will develop Communism in 8 turns, if I dont decide to switch now, take scientific methods by espionage (my spies are ready with -50% in Oporto and Lissabon) and then to science rush Communism (by producing science in all cities).
But I dont like this idea as it would spoil my plans to switch into democracy.

My infrastructure is excellent, 13 cities have the whole renaissance package (100% science upgrades, 100% commerce upgrades, courthouses,jails, religious buildings, aqueducts, harbours, lighthouses, custom houses, forges)

So I predict I can keep up the stability. At least as long until the next plague comes.

blizzrd
Jul 17, 2009, 06:46 AM
A civ must have learnt Nationalism before respawns can occur within its territory.

Rod
Jul 17, 2009, 06:49 AM
I wonder whether the plague has changed since 1.85.

I just play a game as Arabs and I got the first plague in 12th century, which is early but ok. Then I play a game as Germans I got no plague until 1733 ... just now the message popped up that plague spread in Mali so it should reach Europe pretty soon.

How comes that the German game was plague free ???

I also noticed that the plague is a good gameplay element. The plague free game was waaay too easy (the fact was that I conquered early and thanks to no plague I had lots of time to turn my newly conquered territory into top developed countries). The plague is just .. well it sets you and everybody else back and then you can rebuild again, which is kinda cool, because in this case you cannot just march to the top and stay there easily.

BurnEmDown
Jul 17, 2009, 10:19 AM
Rhye fixed it a while ago so that for every plague there should be 1 civ that is immune to it. If you are lucky enough you could avoid 2 plagues like this and research medicine before the 3rd plague.

Rhye
Jul 17, 2009, 11:24 AM
I don't recall setting any civ immune. But I recall adding the chance of skipping one epidemic

BurnEmDown
Jul 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry my mistake :) Well basically it's the same thing. your civ has a chance to skip a plague.

JujuLautre
Jul 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
In the game I played yesterday we were almost all imune. Japan got the plague, but no OB with everyone; even as China, it's neighbour, I did not get it, and no one else did

Poor Toku :p

Rod
Jul 18, 2009, 03:37 AM
maybe this chance is too high.

Zagoroth
Jul 21, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have recently created a scenario in 1480 C.E. and just realized an issue. The scenario was made from a 600 C.E. start saved game. Therefor the only civilizations that can be played are those that can be played in the 600 C.E. start. However I used two civilizations, India and Persia, in the scenario. Is there anyway to make all civilizations playable from the 600 C.E. start, or is there a way to change what civilization the player is in the game?

Edition: Never mind, I was able to edit the scenario and make them playable.

Rhye
Jul 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
if you've saved the WBS, try to edit it. SHould contain the flags for playability

V. Soma
Jul 22, 2009, 06:21 AM
I play a game with Rome - is it intended that I can sell or give every medieval-born civ the tech Aesthetics? Should not they have it already?

sercer88
Jul 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
I play a game with Rome - is it intended that I can sell or give every medieval-born civ the tech Aesthetics? Should not they have it already?

This isn't really something I'm sure about, but it has probably been tested before to have adverse affects on gameplay (like speeding up the tech race for the European civs,) and has therefore been kept from the startup of the European civs.

civ_king
Jul 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
for a civ to respawn, does stable block it or does solid?

blizzrd
Jul 22, 2009, 04:44 PM
Depends on whether the human player or AI controls the civ. I believe AI civs need to be Solid, Human player needs to be Stable.