View Full Version : Oil in Alberta

McA123
Jul 28, 2006, 11:41 AM
I just figured that Alberta should have some oil in it, as the Athabascan oil sands are the biggest known oil reserve in the world, and have about 1.6 trillion barrels worth of oil in them. Alberta supplies Canada and much of the states with oil and natural gas. I just think that it should be on the map. Anyways, it's just a suggestion and it's up to you whether or not to implement it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_in_Alberta)

DSChapin
Jul 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
The only tricky question with oil sands is whether they should be a normal "Oil" resource, as the means of extracting them came later than traditional oil drilling.

McA123
Jul 28, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I can see your point. Out of all of that oil, only a fraction of it is accessible with the current technology. Still though, I am of the opinion that in SOME way or another, there should be oil in Alberta.

dh_epic
Jul 28, 2006, 03:22 PM
The thing about the oil sands is that it requires 3 barrels of oil worth of energy to harvest 4 barrels of oil. So it's EXTREMELY inefficient. It's only become economically viable in the past few years, now that gas prices are through the roof. Suddenly, the cost of oil in the tar sands is close to that of buying it from Saudi Arabia.

To put it in lamen's terms... imagine someone had the tools to make burgers, but they'd be expensive. $10 a piece. Nobody wants a 10 dollar burger, so they don't make em. On the other hand, the rest of the world starts charging 8 or 9 bucks for a burger. Suddenly, people are willing to buy a 10 dollar burger, so this forward thinking individual finally enters the market.

It's not a technological issue so much as an economic issue.

MrThing
Jul 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
The thing about the oil sands is that it requires 3 barrels of oil worth of energy to harvest 4 barrels of oil. So it's EXTREMELY inefficient. It's only become economically viable in the past few years, now that gas prices are through the roof. Suddenly, the cost of oil in the tar sands is close to that of buying it from Saudi Arabia.

To put it in lamen's terms... imagine someone had the tools to make burgers, but they'd be expensive. $10 a piece. Nobody wants a 10 dollar burger, so they don't make em. On the other hand, the rest of the world starts charging 8 or 9 bucks for a burger. Suddenly, people are willing to buy a 10 dollar burger, so this forward thinking individual finally enters the market.

It's not a technological issue so much as an economic issue.

The same is true with technology itself. A functional steam-engine was designed in Alexandria in Late Antiquity but there was no reason to make one as they already has slaves and the amount of Iron and fuel requred to build and use such a thing did not make the idea sound very attractive.

SilverKnight
Jul 29, 2006, 06:06 PM
Reminds me of learning about ores (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aore) in geology class. The actual term is determined by whether or not it is profitable, not just attainable.

Rhye has horses spawning in North America some turns after America starts, why not have oil reserves spawn sometime in the late 20th/early 21st century up there?

SilverKnight

dh_epic
Jul 29, 2006, 07:01 PM
Making it dependent on time is a neat idea.

Another neat idea is to make oil appear in other parts throughout the world as other sources dry up. e.g.: once an easy source dries up, oil gets more expensive, so harder sources suddenly become more economically viable. You could either hardwire these locations, or you could do it randomly -- whenever a resource is randomly exhausted, a new one is randomly 'discovered' somewhere else in the planet.

SilverKnight
Jul 29, 2006, 08:41 PM
Do resources dry up in Civ4? That'd be cool, also a new way to limit certain civs at different times.

SilverKnight

Tarkhan
Jul 29, 2006, 08:51 PM
It costs about 40% more to process a barrel of oil from the oil sands. Maybe have resources with cost modifiers on them. If it's your only option, you'll go for it.

dh_epic
Jul 29, 2006, 11:44 PM
Adding cost modifiers = huge new system = huge undertaking... with very little strategic value, I might add.

Doing some kind of 'random appearance' would accomplish roughly the same thing, strategically.