View Full Version : Using Explorers Revealed

gzollinger
Mar 12, 2002, 04:53 PM
THE EXPLORER

I recently started using explorers and I wanted to share my pleasant experiences. Most of the treads I have read on the explorer are along the lines of "they suck, they come much to late to explore anything". It is true, by the time you get explorers, there usually isn't much map left to explore. The key to using them is not to think of them as an explorer, but to think of them as a special operations unit.

THE FACTS:

Explorers get 2 moves, and treat all squares like they have roads. Unlike the scout who's moves are treated like there are no roads, the explorer can run across your neighbors territory in a couple turns.

They aren't considered a thret by the civs you are at peace with, so they can move freely through their territory. Rarely, if ever will they get forced to leave.

They are cheap. They cost 20 shields, the same as an archer or spearman. By the time you get them most any of your cities can produce them in 2 turns. Note: for some reason you can have a city producing 35 shields and the explorer still takes 2 turns to build. Seems like there is a minimum number of turns to build this unit. However they are so cheap, you can have cities that are otherwise unproductive popping them out in 2 turns and you don't waste any production time in your good cities that are pumping out your military. I have noticed that if you enter your golden age, the 2 turn minimum is lifted and you can build Explorers in one turn. Maybe someone out there has something to add on this.

They can pilliage (small point, VERY important).

STRATEGIES

Pillage: The obvious use is to pillage. Just ask yourself, what value would you place on being able to pillage every resource (strategic and Luxury) that your opponent has, on the turn that you begin your assault? For what amounts to the cost of a couple of infantry you can instantly deprive your target of all these valuable resources. Also, any important roads for travel, or roads through the mountains you will be attacking from can be removed without wasting valuable moves from your military units. Also, because of the 3 moves, many of your Explorers will escape for the next offensive, or run around as fodder trying to pillage even more while drawing out the enemies offensive units, thus making them susceptible to yours. I have tried to use military units to cut off these resources and roads, and it just doesn't work well. Not only do you lose valuable attacks, but it is very difficult getting your units within reach of the enemies resource squares. You also tend to have to sacrifice a couple of expensive cavalry/tanks because they get over extended trying to reach that oil or saltpeter square.

Recon: In a recent game I played, my friends, the French stood between myself and the Chinese. I found myself without a source of coal and the French were holding 2 sources and were the obvious choice for me to go after to get the resource. They also had a few excellent wonders in two of their cities. My trouble was that my military was meager. I was building a few cavalry but I didn't have enough to take out the french. Luckily the chinese declared war on the French and the fighting commenced. I was able to send several Explorers up into French and Chinese territory to act as recon and provide me with free valuable information of how things were going. I could see that the chinese were able to get the upper hand and were pummeling the French cities. Using this information I was able to wait until the French capital was down to a couple of injured units before I move my small force of cavalry in to take the cities. As a result I had PERFECT TIMMING, I was able to take all but two worthless cities (That China got) from the French with a veryyyy small force of cavalry. Without the turn by turn iformation that my explorers received, I would think I could have lost an army 4-5 times as large to capture half of the French cities.

Blockade: This falls into the gray area of cheating. Explorers block units just as effectively as Modern Armor, when you are at peace. Say for example that I had a source of coal in my previous example and I wanted help my friends the french from getting beat on by my friends the Chinese. I might want to do this if I wished the French to remain a buffer between myself and the much larger Chinese. If there was an appropriate choke point, I could keep China from sending units by land all together. The French could more then keep up with units from China sent by boat. Barring that, surrounding the French city with 8 explorers would allow the French to build back up defenders if the city were about to fall. Even something like slowing down the Chinese Cavalry so that they end up finishing a turn at the gates of the city instead of attacking the city can do wonders for affecting how a war will turn out.

SUMMARY

Give the Explorer a try before dismissing him. Accurate information wins wars and there is no better source of information then the Explorer.

damunzy
Mar 12, 2002, 05:12 PM
Good points on using an Explorer, this should be added to the tips section. I wonder, do they cost resources to build, meaning are they like native workers or foreign?

Benjamin Miller
Mar 12, 2002, 05:17 PM
Ack! You're right! :D Methinks I might have to use the explorer now. Although it still comes waaaay too late, the pillaging should help alot. Unfourtunetly the AI always asks me to leave, even when I put a harmless scout in the AI's territory. And again, this should be added to the war acadamy section.

narmox
Mar 12, 2002, 05:17 PM
On my last game before I stopped playing for 3 months, 1 explorer saved my empire. Thanks to it, I could easily track the movements of the 60 American swordsmen, archers, longbowmen and spearmen that threatened my faraway south american cities defended by a grand total of 4 riflemen and 3 cavalries. I still had to spend 9000 gold over 30 turns to keep up a guerilla-like defense against them (losing 3 cities and founding 7 or more in the meantime).

Anyways. The point is the explorer is good at recon missions, I agree with that :)

Oh yes, forgot to mention a few additions: seems that it treated _all_ squares like roads, so in essence, I had 6 movement points per turn, not just 3. Also, even in war they weren't considered a threat. I know at one point I wasn't looking and I ended its turn right besides a huge stack of Americans. They juist walked past him...

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Mar 13, 2002, 02:22 AM
:goodjob:

quite a few good thought! I never realized that the Ex can use enemy road. That`s good to know!

As for being asked to leave: they do, but never do they force me to automove, nor do they come again and get annoyed as long as it is only scouts or explorers!

Shabbaman
Mar 13, 2002, 03:54 AM
I'll build one right away ;)

Shabbaman
Mar 13, 2002, 03:56 AM
Post it on the strategy forum?

royfurr
Mar 13, 2002, 06:34 AM
gzollinger-

I, too have thought of the explorer as a "light infantry"/reconn unit, with the ability to pillage as the icing on the cake. (Was really wishing they came earler, as I could make good use of them in early wars).

Are you using a mod? My explorer only gets 2 move, not 3. Of course with all terrain as road, that means 6 (not 9) tiles per turn. Pretty good though!

One thing I had NOT noticed is the enemy more or less ignoring them, (both before or during a war), I'd usually tried to stay far away from enemy units, thinking they could be easiely captured, and possibly used in the same fashion against ME. Has this happened to you (ie (a) them being captured and (b) used in this fashion by the AI?)

Last but not least, I had NOT used them for "blitzkreig" massive pillaging of an enemies entire resourse base on the first turn of a war, because I feared that it would brand my reputation, much like using a ROP to position an invading army and then attacking. If you use ONLY Explorers (no conventional units) and ONLY pillage on the opening turn of a war, does this result in a reputation hit or no? (does the use or lack of a dec. of war make a difference?)

Anyone who knows, beyond smart gzollinger, throw out a reply. The "commando" mass pillage sounds like a great tatic, although to be used much less frequently and selectively if it DOES cause a reputation hit. ANYONE know?

Finally- anyone know (haven't tried this, easy enough though)- can explorers capture workers? I'd doubt it, thats why I haven't tried, but who knows?

CIv on. Good post, gzollinger.

gzollinger
Mar 13, 2002, 09:31 AM
You are right, they do only get two moves, but treat territory like a road for a total of 6 moves on enemy land. I will update the original post to reflect that. Also, I haven't noticed any significant hit on my reputation when doing it, but I don't know of any qualitative ways to measure that, so maybe someone else can weigh in. I also, don't belive they can capture workers or take empty citys and things like that. I have however had an enemy kill them before, but I didn't have any offensive units around, and my Explorer was just pilliaging. Perhaps the computer uses a precedence, and if your explorer is hanging around military units, then the computer will hit them first.

One other note of clairification, I have had the Explorers asked to leave or they will declare war, but the key to not having that happen, is to keep your explorers away from the imediate square next to the city. Try keeping as many of your explorers in the holes between "farming zones" as much as possible. Also, in the French example I gave in the original post, the French were being weakened by the Chinese, and as a result, they simply wouldn't ask me to leave. I think this also might have to do with how strong the friend is that you are invading. If they feel they are stronger then you, then they are far more likely to ask you to leave.

kittenOFchaos
Mar 13, 2002, 09:58 AM
I've always used the explorer as I love the look of them...maybe not the most efficient reason to build units though!

Plus they have a terrific fight animation in my option touche'!

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Mar 13, 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by gzollinger

One other note of clairification, I have had the Explorers asked to leave or they will declare war, but the key to not having that happen, is to keep your explorers away from the imediate square next to the city.

I thought that, too, but my last game taught me different: I couldn`t even ask a Spearman to leave right now when he ambled past my capital. I tried each turn, and every time he said yes yes, f*** you - and stayed! For 4 turn (he turned a corner around my town). The other way round I was often asked to leave right away without "touching" a town with, without having a history of agression or having abused ROP or some such.

Somehow the rules for when it`s leave, please or leave right now are fussy..... :(

Moff Jerjerrod
Mar 13, 2002, 11:20 AM
Bravo gzollinger! :goodjob:

Good thinking on finding a use for explorers. I'll have to give this a try in my next game.

No.Dice
Mar 13, 2002, 12:36 PM
During long periods of peace, i had been using them as spectators to watch the AIs beat up on each other. Park them on a mountain in a hot zone and grab some popcorn. Eases boredom when its not an optimal time to go to war. :D

Great post, i had no idea they could pillage. :)

Citizen_K
Mar 14, 2002, 04:35 PM
The best part is if you have opponents like the Zulus who just attack everyone on their continent, take it over, and don't bother building or rush-building temples in the cities they've conquered, you can off-load 3 or 4 explorers and just pillage all the roads that don't fall within his cultural boundaries. And b/c those conquered cities take a corruption hit without roads, it takes even longer for them to build up culture when they realize the solution, and meanwhile they aren't getting lux. from those cities and they usually have to do a lot of military unit movement or u building in order to threaten your units out.

But the ai isn't stupid though, they know what you're doing and so you take a diplomatic hit with that nation. (not a rep. one)

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Mar 15, 2002, 01:02 AM
I just used en explorer to pillage the Germans 2 Saltpeter and 1 iron :D

they were on an island and I landed my invasion at the same time - that kept them so busy then never went for the Ex. :lol: :die!:

Shaitan
Mar 15, 2002, 04:59 AM
Excellent ideas. I wish I'd read this thread a few days ago. I recently lost a dozen tanks that were raiding resources in enemy territory. Oil had disappeared for me so it was vital to take out his advanced resources. I never even through of using explorers. I've never actually built one - who needs to explore anything by the time explorers are available? I'll definitely be building them now though. Thanks for the awesome strategy!

bewebste
Mar 15, 2002, 09:54 AM
I think more people would use Explorers if they had simply named them "Elite Ninja Spy" instead. :p

Black Fluffy Lion
Mar 15, 2002, 10:31 AM
:goodjob: very good tips. Haven't seen many on explorers before, great thread!

The Hun
Mar 15, 2002, 10:39 AM
I think more people would use Explorers if the whole Firestone incident would go away.

Justus II
Mar 15, 2002, 12:07 PM
I also did not realize they could pillage, that usually costs me several knights/cavarly/tanks every war, because I like to isolate the cities I am attacking in a limited war to cut them off from resources/luxuries etc. Also, they would be useful as a border fill in when on the offensive. I often get in a situation where I capture or raze an enemy city, and someone else wants to rush in and build a city before my borders expand to connect to that area. I usually have to post several units along the old border to block anyone from moving in. Explorers would get there quickly, and be just as effective at blocking movement!

AugustoD
Mar 15, 2002, 01:55 PM
time to make explorers :-)

dozi
Mar 25, 2002, 07:13 PM
Great tips, gzollinger!
I happened to use them in my last game to update other civs' map and found that if you give something as a token of goodwill (in my case some gold to keep them "polite"), they'll leave my explorers alone.

Julius Bonapart
Mar 25, 2002, 09:18 PM
I am an idiot.

griffon65
Mar 25, 2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bewebste
I think more people would use Explorers if they had simply named them "Elite Ninja Spy" instead. :p

LOL, I think I will use the editor to rename them to something like that.

David Dwyer
Mar 26, 2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by griffon65

LOL, I think I will use the editor to rename them to something like that.

Well, explorers can't do any of the traditional hijinks of the old CIV 1/2 spy/diplomat so Commando would make a nice name. Small, surgical strikes without major standup combat power.
Good point about the speed 2 meaning 6 tiles at all times. No way can a conventional military unit cover that kind of ground to get in the enemy's rear areas. Only the paratrooper could jump that far in and then he'd have to wait till next turn to attack or pillage anyway -- by which time he'd be dead if the AI is awake. Of course the obvious mass pillage strike is to take 8 explorers and cut off the capital, since all resources have to trace a path to the capital... and you don't even take the reputation hit that starting a nuclear war would entail to do the same thing. Of course, later in the game once railroads are around, you'll need 16 Explorers instead of 8, but it's certainly a tempting idea.

David Dwyer
:nuke: Post 1 of 1:nuke:

marshalljames
Mar 26, 2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by The Hun
I think more people would use Explorers if the whole Firestone incident would go away.

seems like we have a comedian in our midst..:beer: [party]

For euro's who don't get the joke...Ford Explorer,Firestone's exploding tire's..

wotan321
Mar 26, 2002, 08:33 AM
Wow, using the Explorer to pillage just prior to a war makes a BIG difference.

I had a big civ on my border, crowding and moving in on resources. Their capital was far away. The OLD method of solving this was to build boats, fill them with Cavs or tanks and tote them all the way around the continent, dump them off as close to the capital as possible, start the war, and as quickly as possible, cut the capital off from resources. Of course, the enemy civ would unleash its forces and I'd lose a lot of units. Since this group of units was cut off from reinforcements, they were pretty much a write-off. It would take a couple of turns to cut off the capital, and in the meantime they would have started building resource dependent units which will complete even if I do cut off that resource in a few turns. So I had to fight a much better armed opponant on two fronts.

NOW, with the use of the explorer, I just send in the right amount of explorers right through my enemy's territory..... no boats needed. I pillage every road around the capital. Now, my foe is cut off from resources BEFORE he gets a turn, so no new, powerful units get started! NOW, I am attacking and fighting on one front, and all those units I would have sent on their suicide mission to the capital I now have supported by my nearby territory. Much cheaper, faster and efficient.

I used this strategy against the Russians in a recent game, and since Katherine is always a few tech behind anyway, this invasion felt like the Old Civ2 type of assault, I just swept through. While my Cavalry and bombard units clobbered their cities, my Explorers went around pillaging infrastructure at breakneck speed. It was over very quickly and the only units I lost were a few Explorers.

Using Explorers this way really helps. Thanks for the tip.

SKILORD
Mar 26, 2002, 09:41 AM
never occured to me even to build em but now i see

Sir. Martin
Mar 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
Nice tip! IŽve never used explorers in civ III, but IŽll begin now! :goodjob:

obiwankanathan
Mar 26, 2002, 05:56 PM
hehe Bismarck is going to have a lot of fun playing with my explorers now :D

Grey Fox
Mar 26, 2002, 11:46 PM
If you are playing an Expansionist Civ, try to make as much Scouts as possible in the start.

If you are playing a Large or Huge Map make, let's say 10-20 in the begining of the game (it helps you getting techs too, I often get the first tech tree before 10 AD, even sooner sometimes), and place them on the Iron and Horse sources before the enemy Build's a road there!

And Later when they have saltpeter... try to do the same thing if you can!

If they ask you to leave, just say "I WILL", and stay. They won't ask you again, UNLESS, you have a Military unit in their TERRITORY too...

The good thing about scouts too, is that they are Upgradeable to Explorers!

EDIT: Credit to Aeson for his ideas, these are almost similar to his ideas... even if I used some of them before I read his.

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Mar 27, 2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Grey Fox

place them on the Iron and Horse sources before the enemy Build's a road there!

And Later when they have saltpeter... try to do the same thing if you can!

If they ask you to leave, just say "I WILL", and stay. They won't ask you again, UNLESS, you have a Military unit in their TERRITORY too...

:lol: that`s 'passive aggression' at it`S best! Good one! :lol:
:D

Alc0p0pz
Mar 27, 2002, 10:09 AM
It's funny how one man's feature is another's exploit, innit.

The Explorer should not be able to pillage; the fact that he can is almost certainly an unintentional design flaw by Firaxis.

How is a unit equiped with a map, compass, and Boots of Haste [tm] meant to destroy a section of railtrack?! I mean, what does he do? Hit it with his walking stick? :lol:

The Explorer is useless because the Age of Sail in Civ3 is too close in the tech tree to the Industrial Revolution. I'm not sure what would be the best way to address this, but I think it's basically down to a poorly thought out tech tree. I love the Middle Ages; it's a shame they pass so quickly.

The person who suggested the unit ought to be named Elite Spy Ninja hit the nail on the head. Really, with pillage, it ought to be an S.A.S. or Commando, and available in the late Industrial Age.

Oh well.

royfurr
Mar 27, 2002, 11:20 AM
I of course do not know if, as Alc0p0pz feels, the ability of Explorers to pillage is a goof by Firaxis and they never meant it to be this way, or what.

However, I do think, that based on this attention we have focused on the issue, that there is a >65% chance that in either patch 1.18 or 1.19 (if they are out of time on 1.18) that this ability will be patched out, like other tactics we evolve. Seems like they simply do not want anyone to win the game by any method other then their approved one! Remember they said at the start (game release) that "...no one at Firaxis has been able to win at diety ...". Sometimes it seems that they are upset that anyone CAN win at diety!

Now don't get me wrong, I am against any true un-releastic EXPLOIT. I for one simply didn't use ICS in CIv II nor did I play a "massive despot rush" strategy in Civ III, as if was called in one thread. Nor did I do endless loops of massive numbers of workers planting forest and then immediately clearing them. And I didn't care for the trick of switching production prior to a rush, then again after a rush.

But this explorer one I like. It takes planning and effort, and I think it remains to be seen if the ai will not be able to defend against it DURING a war. It is however, as much an exploit to set up pre-war for this as it is to violate ROP agreement, IMO. As long as the rep gets hit for that, I am not to upset about this as an exploit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jandor
Mar 27, 2002, 04:06 PM
How is a unit equiped with a map, compass, and Boots of Haste [tm] meant to destroy a section of railtrack?! I mean, what does he do? Hit it with his walking stick?

Yeh but i always assumed that an explorer unit would be armed with some rifles, swords, nasty mean looking sticks, and some pretty mean faces :) . So they could destroy roads and rails and such. shooting them up, putting big rocks on them. cutting them up, and pulling faces at tem, or just rename the unit, "commando" or something.

I always liked to assume that while im telling large platoons what to do there are spys and such helping behind the lines. thats why i didint download the landmine unit (nice animation by the way) because i just assumed that when infantry fortified they automatically put some mines down :goodjob:. *looks back* god i cant even see te original topic ive moved that far away from it. :)

Alc0p0pz
Mar 29, 2002, 04:32 AM
Having actually built some Explorers and used 'em to pillage, I take back what I said above ... because he has a specific attack animation even though he's a non-combat unit.

I guess his ability to pillage was intentional afterall.

:)

slashing
Apr 18, 2002, 04:42 AM
Seems reasonable that the unit be re-designated as some sort of commando, but if this is the case, surely the AI would pay a bit more attention to trying to get rid of it from its territory. A few thousand commandoes belted up with demolition charges strolling down Baghdad high street would probably attract some attention and concern from the Iraqi authorities. Like the spy - there could be some risk of "discovery".

Barako
Apr 18, 2002, 06:37 PM
I used explorer before but for recon purposes only.
I'll be using them for pillaging on my next game since I love crippling my opponents a few turns before sending the full might of my military which is usually composed of cavalry/tanks depending on the era.

Thanks for the tips.

TheDS
Apr 19, 2002, 06:24 AM
I didn't know they could attack, or that they were ignored, but I had used them a few times to spy on troop movements. Keeping them out of harm's way proved too onerous for me, so I gave up on using these units.

I next considered giving them some firepower (high offense) and calling them snipers. Get some over the lines, smash up a few enemy units, send a few of them to open up some heavily defended point... But I never got around to doing it.

Cutting the Capital off from the rest of the empire does NOT prevent them from using their strategic resources! Any city directly connected to a resource gets to make use of it. I have taken cities on other continents, and as you would expect, could not utilize my strategic or luxury resources in those conquered cities. On the other hand, if the city was connected to a resource, it could be used, even though the rest of the empire couldn't access it.

Building a a road through friendly territory or a port or an airport will suffice to connect both pieces of your lands so that all your cities can use all your resources.

spork
May 07, 2002, 10:15 PM
You know, we would have probably thought of using explorers earlier if we saw the AI do it, but in my experience, the AI never seems to build them. Has anyone seen AI explorers? (And if so, did you ever see them pillage anything?)

Lt. 'Killer' M.
May 08, 2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by spork
You know, we would have probably thought of using explorers earlier if we saw the AI do it, but in my experience, the AI never seems to build them. Has anyone seen AI explorers? (And if so, did you ever see them pillage anything?)

saw them once in a game where I played against 2 AI and kept razing their coastal towns. Thus, when we reached later times and they did get a town to build a ship, they found new contintents and used explorers as modern scouts. Otherwise, I`ve occasionally ssen them running around AI borders, I guess that`s supposed to make the human feel like the Ai tries to see troops movements (which it knows about anyway!)

TheDS
May 11, 2002, 04:04 PM
Yeah... I'm really pissed about enemy ironclads coming out and hunting down my subs. That's crap! Only thing I can do to save them is keep another boat with them. (I have subs set as Privateers; the Privateer is entirely too cool and underpowered and short lived. But Nuc subs are not Privateers.) Empire had no trouble not seeing my subs, why can't Civ ignore them?

Anyway, I tried using Explorers, and wow did the enemy complain about them! They complained about Workers improving or crossing their land, and ships sailing past their territory too. What pansies! I hate those stupid snotty attitudes they put on too. Die you bastards, DDIIEEE!!!!

Uhhh.. oops! Did I say that out loud?

Anyway...

They griped, and then once a war started, they captured the poor beasties and immediately tortured them to death. Well, I never heard from them again, anyway.

Maybe my copy doesn't work the same as yours?

Here's a dumb question: What's the point of having "Veteran" Air units? They don't seem to strike with any particular regularity, they don't seem to have hit points... Maybe I'd see something if I started letting the enemy live long enough to develop Flight? I'm sure that's what you'll say...

Trinity
Jul 05, 2002, 12:27 PM
Explorers or "tourists" are very useful in gathering intelligence about your friends regarding troop locations not in cities. You see their entire infrastructure without having to risk 2900 -4000 gold for using a spy to gather troop locations.

Flavor Dave
Jul 17, 2002, 01:05 PM
The problem I have with explorers is that even on your own RRs, they can obly move 6 tiles per turn. Is this a problem that has been rectified in a patch somewhere? I guess I should go into the editor and fix it....

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Jul 17, 2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Flavor Dave
The problem I have with explorers is that even on your own RRs, they can obly move 6 tiles per turn. Is this a problem that has been rectified in a patch somewhere? I guess I should go into the editor and fix it....

this is a bug, and never happened to me...... are you using 1.21???

royfurr
Jul 17, 2002, 04:51 PM
I don't think this is a "bug", its an "unintended consuquences" (or maybe it IS a bug- semantics?. It looks like any unit that has the flag checked for treat all terrain as roads does not get the RR bonus- it treats the RR as a road, because of the flag. Therefore no RR "infininite warp speed". This is a "hard coded" problem- ya can't fix it in the editor (without losing the ability that makes the explorer worth while- the "all terrain as roads").

So only Firaxis can fix it ... guess it IS a bug ...

I agree that it is REAL annoying to not be able to move explorers around startegic-ly, ie on RR's.

HELP, FIRAXIS!!!

West German
Oct 21, 2002, 02:23 PM
Explorers are kind of like the Japs before Pearl Harbor.

werdhertz
Oct 27, 2002, 10:25 PM
Ive been using spare workers for recon and never even thought about Explorers. I never even built them once since i got the game a year ago. I think i shall change that :D

werdhertz
Oct 27, 2002, 10:25 PM
Ive been using spare workers for recon and never even thought about Explorers. I never even built them once since i got the game a year ago. I think i shall change that :D

JonathanValjean
Nov 23, 2002, 05:43 PM
I know you posted these tips over eight months ago, but I just want to say that they are great! I, like many others who have posted in this thread, had been writing them off as useless because they were available so late in the game. Thanks!

battle ship
Dec 19, 2002, 12:30 AM
i just used them talk about easy when you go to war its hard but ones you kill its main units the only thing it can do is make crappy units this means insted of taking 1or3 citys you can take it all baby!

Fool Inc.
Dec 28, 2002, 01:09 AM
Thanks to explorers I finally won in domination. Screw being peaceful, now I have my explorer! </comercial>

OmegaMega
Jan 19, 2003, 11:01 PM
hmm, the name "explores" throws everyone off. They should be renamed to something like "merry men" or something. I mean, 6 movement points is awsome, no ground unit even gets close to that over wild terrain. Also helps disrupt cities during an attack, with 6 movement points they can decimate working workers. cause lasting damage even if you lose, as well as giving you preemptive strike capabilities. grab 3-4 of them, and go cut off roads before a war, and see what happens. It is, however, kind of annoying if you want to capture that city.

Bretwalda
Jan 22, 2003, 04:12 AM
Exactly, don't mix up trading (which requires connection to the capital) and own usage, which requires connection to the city where the goody is produced :)

Originally posted by TheDS

Cutting the Capital off from the rest of the empire does NOT prevent them from using their strategic resources! Any city directly connected to a resource gets to make use of it. I have taken cities on other continents, and as you would expect, could not utilize my strategic or luxury resources in those conquered cities. On the other hand, if the city was connected to a resource, it could be used, even though the rest of the empire couldn't access it.

Building a a road through friendly territory or a port or an airport will suffice to connect both pieces of your lands so that all your cities can use all your resources.

OmegaMega
Jan 25, 2003, 06:16 PM
you can cut off the strategic resource at its source, esspecially if they only have 1 source. Just run onto the mountain and cut it off there. Works well on mountains because it takes so long to reconstruct. However, it losses effectiveness when railroads come around.

anonymous4401
Jan 26, 2003, 12:57 AM
You can make 'em use RRs and still keep the 6-tiles per turn move. Just set explorer move to 6 and set it to ignore move cost for all terrain that have a move cost >1, such as forest, jungle, mountain, hills. Enjoy your RR-using explorer.

EuropeanPotato
Jan 26, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
:goodjob:

quite a few good thought! I never realized that the Ex can use enemy road. That`s good to know!
![/I]

So I can't abuse enemy roads to get ahead in steps during peace/war with that country with other units?

Grey Fox
Jan 26, 2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by EuropeanPotato

So I can't abuse enemy roads to get ahead in steps during peace/war with that country with other units? No, no unit can use enemy roads, you can use Neutral roads, and roads in a nation which you have a ROP with. Not even the explorer can use the enemy roads, although it seems like it as it treats all terrain as roads.

EuropeanPotato
Jan 27, 2003, 06:52 PM
Grey Fox: Got ya, thanks for clearing that up.

OmegaMega
Jan 27, 2003, 11:23 PM
well, it would be really weird if you could use enemy railroads...

Aonghus
Mar 19, 2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by The Hun

LOL!:lol:

one_hoop
May 31, 2006, 07:46 PM
Interesting to hear how the AI deals with Explorers during peacetime... might be worthwhile as windows into enemy troop units, especially if two AIs are fighting each other. I especially liked the Chinese/French example of joining the party late.

As far as using them for pillaging, the last game that I played I didn't bring enough artillery for an overseas invasion. I had landed three attack forces though and each stack was big enough that the Roman counter-attack was pathetic. I figured if they couldn't make a dent with the initial "counter attack" then I didn't really need to fortify. Two of the stacks had cavalry armies, so I converged the three stacks using the armies auto-pillage (it's not really automatic, but it doesn't cost any MPs) function to pillage along the way. In doing so, I made a two-tile wide disruption in his road network across the entire continent without making a single crater (if only my battleships had been so considerate! What a mess that was to clean up).

One thing worth noting: Moving into a square with a barricade ends the army's turn regardless of MP (makes sense), but pillaging it the next turn also ends your army's turn so use something cheaper to pillage barricades.

I really liked that method of pillaging, so I don't know when I'll get an opportunity to try the explorers method of pillaging. I suppose if I reach that point in the game without having gotten a MGL I will give it a shot. I'm trying to shift towards being more militaristic in the early stages of the game though so maybe that'll help (or maybe not, since I should have formed an army before Astronomy?).

<B>What I'd really like to see is an explanation of how to use Conquistidors! I mean they look cool and they have ZOC, but I hardly think that justifies 70 shields!</B>

M@

Son_Of_Dido
Jun 04, 2006, 10:16 PM
One Hoop: Thanks for bumping this article to where i could see it! I'm glad to find out about this unexpected upside to explorers.

As for Conquistadors: While I wouldn't want to write a strategy section on it yet, I'm thinking Conquistadors and their movement bonus might well make them lethally effective in a medival Jungle Warfare campaign. I'm about to find out. I'll post a save of the game I'm playing with the Spanish momentarily. You'll see the southern, jungle-choked area of my home continent has recently become infested with some unwelcome intruders as of late; Japanese, Byanztine, and Sumerian cities (The Japanese city is close to a source of precious iron which seems rare in this world, and one byzantine city is holding holding 4 gems in it's sphere of influence; I already have 2 gem colonies linked up and a source of iron, but I'm greedy. My attempts to rush culture in my nearby cities and flip 'em is not working, so I'm going to soon grab them the old fashioned way. The land is, being jungle naturally very underdeveloped and lacking in roads, so I'm thinking I'll send my Conquistadors down there to secure the goods.)

So yeah, not ready to put a strategy article out there, and this does seem so far to be a rather narrow window of opportunity (jungle welfare against an enemy of inferior resources/technology), we'll see how they do.

EDIT: here ya go. You'll see a lot of my Conquistador Jungle Warriors to be are out of position right now, but you'll get an idea for what part of the land I'm talking about and what I'm planning.

AutomatedTeller
Jun 06, 2006, 11:30 AM
I hate playing against conquistadors...

I often only garrison border cities, but against conquistadors, there are lot of cities near the border that are vulnerable. It's not hard to lose a city a turn to those guys - even if you take them right back, it's a serious distraction.

Son_Of_Dido
Jun 06, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah, they're only 3.2, but basically they have movement of SIX, which means they are way faster than any other military units out there. They can get to your unprotected inner cities like that. That would be highly annoying.

And yeah, they cut through those jungle cities easily. I fought those 3 civs one at a time, and each war was basically 1 turn. It helped that they were lightly defended fronteir cities and i was only going against spearmen, but man, it was nice to see my units fly through jungle like it was nothing. Definite speed advantage for the Conquistador, especially in the pre-rail era.

Noobnerd
Dec 21, 2006, 01:48 AM
I didn't know that some AI would not consider the explorer as a threat but I'm going to try it out immediately. I also did not know it can pillage too.

Rik Meleet
Dec 28, 2006, 02:25 PM
A conquistadore - army can pillage 8 tiles + attack ;)

Spoonwood
Mar 11, 2009, 09:10 PM
Explorers+Armies=game over/in control fast. We all have tons of corrupt towns in large empires. How might one use these towns well? Train explorers. Plant and chop at least one forest for an explorer. So, you'll get one from each corrupt city at least every 10 turns. Now... here's the kicker (and someone already saw it, I bet).

Take those explorers and move them to your city which produces armies, and disband them there for armies. Since the game has a 4:1 production:disbandment ratio, you get 5 shields *exactly* back from disbanding explorers. *And* explorers move fast without rails. Why do I have a feeling Kuningas or Moonsinger *already* knew and used this?

Marsden
Mar 17, 2009, 08:54 AM
Why do I have a feeling you bumped an old thread to talk to yourself? :lol:

I rarely use them, but mostly because I'm not good at things like strategy or tactics.

Lord Emsworth
Mar 18, 2009, 02:34 AM
I am more familiar with doing it the other way 'round. Build explorers in your uncorrupt core area, and disband them in corrupt lands.

Spoonwood
Dec 09, 2010, 10:52 AM
One might use explorers for short-whipping in say a post-Education 100k game when playing as scientific. Instead of waiting for your city to grow to size 4, you just hit size 3, have one shield in the box, short-whip in an explorer, and then whip in a library.