View Full Version : Mac Compatibility?

LordViking
Aug 24, 2006, 11:58 PM
I attempted to install this mod which looks fantastic for Civ4 for Mac, which resulted in a crash on startup. Does it work on Mac? or is there a workaround to make it not crash on startup?

McA123
Aug 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
There might be a conflict with your custom assets folder. I've heard a lot of people have problems with that.

Vishaing
Aug 25, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the problem is that this mod makes use of a .dll file, which I am pretty sure Mac does not support. The .dll file is also crucial to the mod to allow late player starts.

I'm pretty sure that to allow the mod to work would require a massive rewriting of pretty much the entire code system.

deathbystarship
Dec 04, 2006, 10:08 PM
ah poo. i just bought civ iv (a little late, i know) for my imac. i didn't realize that it was so incompatible with mods. and this looks like a really, really good one.

if there's any hope of me ever being able to play this mod on my mac, please, please tell me about it.

Aeon221
Dec 04, 2006, 11:04 PM
Generally, gaming on macs is an exercise in futility. Sorry, but I have a feeling you will be out of luck, just because of all the structural differences =/

Rhye
Dec 05, 2006, 02:28 PM
if it were possible to compile the DLL for mac, it would work...

deathbystarship
Dec 05, 2006, 11:11 PM
and i'm guessing that would be a crapload of work and time.

i remember playing this mod on civ iii and thinking it was great, but this looks out of this world. from what i've seen, great work rhye.

i guess i'll just have to live without it for now. at least until someone is nice enough to make it work for us unfortunate mac gamers. :P

Rhye
Dec 06, 2006, 11:39 AM
thank you! but don't you have a pc?

Aeon221
Dec 06, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'd tell you to go out and grab a cheap pentium if it weren't for the fact that this iteration is so ridiculous in terms of graphical needs.

According to a Mr. Wardell, who justified his decision to make GalCiv2 3d to me on qt3, it's all in so that you can scroll from way out there to way in close.

Which is stupid. You don't need that kind of flexibility, and it results in less graphical modifications. But I've beaten that to death and it got me nowhere.

=/

deathbystarship
Dec 06, 2006, 01:35 PM
yeah, i do have a pc. but there's a couple of (small) problems. the first is that my current pc is a bit old now. pretty sure that it can't handle the technical specs of civ iv. i just bought my mac thinking i wouldn't really need a pc. but i guess i do.

the second thing is that i already opened my copy of civ iv for mac, and the apple store in downtown toronto won't let me return it anymore. so that's basically $70 down the drain for me, unless i can find a way to get rid of it and maybe get some money back.

it shouldn't be a problem for me to get a cheap pc, my dad works for ibm. i just don't really have the money to pay for all of it right now. but it's alright. i'll find a way.

NitroJay
Dec 06, 2006, 02:53 PM
Your dad works for IBM and you bought a mac... I bet the holidays are going to be fantastic for you...

SilverKnight
Dec 06, 2006, 03:07 PM
:lol: Admittedly, I'm getting a Mac for my next computer, but I'll either get a Windows boot or keep my laptop, which at least runs Civ4.

SilverKnight

Aeon221
Dec 06, 2006, 03:38 PM
Well, since you do have a legit copy, consider grabbing linux for your mac and a torrent version for windows. I won't provide links or anything, but I ended up having to go the same route due to complications with the civ4 I picked up. At least my french class got a kick out of the tech tree XD

deathbystarship
Dec 08, 2006, 04:06 PM
hehehe. well thanks for all the input, guys. appreciate it.

Zetetic Apparat
Dec 08, 2006, 08:05 PM
he problem is probably that R&FoC uses SDK-related changes ; i.e. changes which have been compiled into a new (C++?) library (DLL). The library won't work under Mac OS X because it's the wrong format (Microsoft Windows dynamic-link library as opposed to a XNU/Mach-O dynamically linked library), possibly the wrong processor architecture (x86 vs. PPC ; although you may have an Intel Mac (lucky you)) and is compiled for the wrong version of Civ IV (Windows 1.61 vs. Mac 1.61 ; kind of I suppose, the calls are probably the same, but the references in the actual compiled library would be different).
This could be solved if Aspyr ever released the SDK for the Mac version, which isn't going to happen ever because Mac porting sucks badly*.

*Because of the lack of man-hours available I'm guessing due to the relative return (licensing cost of original, piracy of Mac games) to the porting companies etc. It's also a partial product of the oligopoly that is the Mac porting product and the fact that we've become used to this level of shite porting.
Whatever, it could well die off (maybe partially due to Wine but also dual-booting ; the latter is a real arse for stuff like CIV though) and I won't miss it. That's not to say that think that Brad Oliver (to pick someone relevant) isn't a good guy (but only human and finite in his ability) and that I'm not a Apple fanboi but I'm fed up with the low quality of ports. I'm playing R&FoC on a Dell (teh horrorz...).

Buy an Intel Mac. Dual boot for games. Suffer Parallels for other Win-only applications.
(N.B. This requires much more cash than I have. *Typed on a 2003 PowerBook G4*)

narmox
Dec 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
That's a shame, I've always been a fan of Rhye's mods but now I'll only be able to look at screenshots... *sniff sniff*.