View Full Version : Princes of the Universe, Part I

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Ksim3000
Jul 31, 2007, 06:47 PM
A very nicely written and descriptive post, Sistuli! I wonder though if Caesar and Elizabeth will be forced to fight or if their enternal fates are to be bound together. Perhaps they just do not realise it yet?

Nice post, anyway. It nicely sets the atmosphere.

carmen510
Jul 31, 2007, 07:54 PM
Excellent story! Keep up the good work. :)

Ultimate_Waffle
Jul 31, 2007, 08:39 PM
Perhaps it will be a domination win?

rabidveggie
Jul 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
I believe Sisuitil only has conquest victory enabled.. I predict that when Liz dies we will probably see Caesar die, after all nothing is immortal and his people will be free to forge their own destiny from then on with the world under Roman control.

Agentis
Aug 01, 2007, 12:12 AM
The simplest solution is that one of the other civs knocks Elizabeth off, and Caeser goes on an insane killing spree. :king:

Joxer
Aug 01, 2007, 10:08 AM
I bet Liz is the typical redhead and is very tempermental and gets ticked off about the toilet seat being up or dirty dishes in the sink. So JC just gives her the axe.

Adam Elvin
Aug 01, 2007, 12:02 PM
I have been following this interesting story. Hopefully there will been a happy end with Liz and Caesar.

biggamer132
Aug 01, 2007, 12:30 PM
The simplest solution is that one of the other civs knocks Elizabeth off, and Caeser goes on an insane killing spree. :king:

I really hope that's what happens. It'd be the most fun to read, anyways. :lol:

Sisiutil
Aug 01, 2007, 04:13 PM
I bet Liz is the typical redhead and is very tempermental and gets ticked off about the toilet seat being up or dirty dishes in the sink. So JC just gives her the axe.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

carmen510
Aug 01, 2007, 07:12 PM
I think Caesar will keep Liz as a wife, or perhaps, when he does kill her in Joxer's way of death ( :lol: ), she will be buried in the Taj Mahal.

Izipo
Aug 02, 2007, 08:10 AM
Magnificient,
Words fail me too. This is just too good.
When people start to fantasize about what's going to happen next, you know you have made a great work.

Someone should insert Sisiutil's name in the list of Great Artists. The loop would be complete then.
:king:

Juvenal
Aug 02, 2007, 10:43 AM
Magnificient,
Words fail me too. This is just too good.
When people start to fantasize about what's going to happen next, you know you have made a great work.

Someone should insert Sisiutil's name in the list of Great Artists. The loop would be complete then.
:king:

Funny enough, I've always fancied using Sisiutil as a culture bomb... :lol:

Sisiutil
Aug 02, 2007, 11:44 AM
Funny enough, I've always fancied using Sisiutil as a culture bomb... :lol:

But then I'd cease to exist! :hide:

Izipo
Aug 02, 2007, 11:47 AM
But then I'd cease to exist! :hide:

No, you'd live forever in history...;)

Japanrocks12
Aug 02, 2007, 02:01 PM
or that she somehow gets "accidentally decapitated" in an accident involving household items :hmm:

Uncle Istvan
Aug 02, 2007, 02:42 PM
Always nice to have another update to this fine story.
One question strikes me: Did you choose the civs that started in this? I only ask because we had perhaps the 6 most distinct possible competitors, personality wise: Fanatic Izzy, Isolationist Toku, Enraged, unyeilding but oft obsolete Monty, Bipolar Alex, Warmongering Genghis, and Lovely Lizz. It seems very lucky you got all these and not, say, a Wang Kon, who might be harder to write about, given his lack of in-game eccentricities

Sisiutil
Aug 02, 2007, 04:36 PM
Always nice to have another update to this fine story.
One question strikes me: Did you choose the civs that started in this? I only ask because we had perhaps the 6 most distinct possible competitors, personality wise: Fanatic Izzy, Isolationist Toku, Enraged, unyeilding but oft obsolete Monty, Bipolar Alex, Warmongering Genghis, and Lovely Lizz. It seems very lucky you got all these and not, say, a Wang Kon, who might be harder to write about, given his lack of in-game eccentricities

I did indeed choose the civs and leaders--have a look at the Custom Game screen shot in the first post. I left the starting positions up to the RNG, though.

tthf
Aug 02, 2007, 08:36 PM
imagine if Sisiutil had included Catherine in the plot....
bizarre love triangle?

Terrance888
Aug 02, 2007, 08:43 PM
or maybe barbarian apes with a human leader:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

aronnax
Aug 03, 2007, 07:42 AM
imagine if Sisiutil had included Catherine in the plot....
bizarre love triangle?

And have england and Russia war with Julius to pick sides! Or crush them both...

Sisiutil
Aug 03, 2007, 12:16 PM
And have england and Russia war with Julius to pick sides! Or crush them both...

Catfight! :drool: :lol:

Terrance888
Aug 03, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah! have russia being discovered in teh far north or south at the poles...

Ksim3000
Aug 04, 2007, 02:09 AM
Perhaps Caesar could turn England into a Vassal, perhaps? I think that is possible with conquest but correct me if I am wrong.

e350tb
Aug 04, 2007, 05:59 AM
Or Liz could die, get replaced by Vicky who gets a trouncing by Caesar and then Rome and Churchill's England ally!

Terrance888
Aug 04, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah! like my story with double leaders, one a bandit, one a hero, and in a while one dies!!

Basarin
Aug 05, 2007, 02:21 AM
Just finished what you've got down so far, Sisiutil. Absolutely amazing. You've managed to justify very well why Rome has wonders it really shouldn't, and the amount of personality you put into your characters is amazing. Keep it up!

Me, I'm just personally looking forward to seeing the advent of Roma's take on modern warfare. Armored Legions and Bersaglieri, anyone?

Sisiutil
Aug 05, 2007, 01:12 PM
Perhaps Caesar could turn England into a Vassal, perhaps? I think that is possible with conquest but correct me if I am wrong.

I played this game in vanilla, so no vassals.

I still have to go back in and play it every now and then. After Warlords and now BtS, playing vanilla feels weird. Kind of nostalgic, too. :crazyeye:

Basarin
Aug 05, 2007, 02:03 PM

I still have to go back in and play it every now and then. After Warlords and now BtS, playing vanilla feels weird. Kind of nostalgic, too. :crazyeye:

Along with the traits on your leaders that you actually want instead of, say, Imperialistic? Granted, the 100% additional chance of a great general coming up during war is nice and all, but you get wonders to do that FOR you in later games...

Just a few questions for you then. Are you going to keep naming your units by Legion designation even when you, say, will eventually research Riflemen? And do you not like using cavalry, or did you just feel like giving the Praetorians their time in the sun for this one?

Ksim3000
Aug 05, 2007, 09:51 PM

How is BtS treating you, my good sir? It's certainly different from vanilla. ;) However, that's a shame you can't vassal. Well.....it could be a kind of "Clash of the Titans" between Caesar and Elizabeth but ultimately, even after war, they fall into eachother's arms......

......*Ahem* I was wondering but what has happened to Hanno's Japanese wife after the man's death? Will she remarry or return to Rome? I hope you will finish her story sometime, she was an interesting character, to say the least.

Matthix
Aug 06, 2007, 03:05 AM
Very good story. Can't wait to see the first tanks rolling thru the Mongolian/Greek lands :evil:

Sisiutil
Aug 06, 2007, 03:11 AM
How is BtS treating you, my good sir? It's certainly different from vanilla. ;) However, that's a shame you can't vassal. Well.....it could be a kind of "Clash of the Titans" between Caesar and Elizabeth but ultimately, even after war, they fall into eachother's arms......

......*Ahem* I was wondering but what has happened to Hanno's Japanese wife after the man's death? Will she remarry or return to Rome? I hope you will finish her story sometime, she was an interesting character, to say the least.
As you'll see in the next installment, time has moved on, so no. I felt like I said everything I had to say about Hanno and Yukio, sorry.
Along with the traits on your leaders that you actually want instead of, say, Imperialistic? Granted, the 100% additional chance of a great general coming up during war is nice and all, but you get wonders to do that FOR you in later games...

Just a few questions for you then. Are you going to keep naming your units by Legion designation even when you, say, will eventually research Riflemen? And do you not like using cavalry, or did you just feel like giving the Praetorians their time in the sun for this one?

I'm still going to call them Legions even when they trade their swords in for rifles. I'll change the ranks to more modern ones ("lieutenant" and "sergeant" rather than "tribune" and "centurion") because it sounds more appropriate.

dazman92
Aug 06, 2007, 01:48 PM
come on man, next chapter!

the suspense is killing me!

Bill Odie
Aug 06, 2007, 02:37 PM
I've only recently discovered this story and I'm only on the 4th page, but I had to skip forward and let you know that I love this story, it's the kind of think that sould be published as a book. Normally, with storys, I take a good look at the screen shots to make sure I understand whats going on but with this I hardly bother to glance at them because it's all there in my head! I'm almost glad I found it late 'cos I dont have to wait ages for updates like that poor lot complaining on page3 :)

Sisiutil
Aug 06, 2007, 04:50 PM
come on man, next chapter!

the suspense is killing me!

I'm going to have to jump back in and grab a bunch of screenshots for the story I want to tell. Please be patient. Today's a holiday here in beautiful BC, so I'll try to get it done today.

demokratickid
Aug 07, 2007, 12:42 PM
'Tis been awahile since I've posted here, and would like to say that I Love the direction the story is going in. Here's hoping for an update!

:cheers:

ToV
Aug 08, 2007, 01:14 PM
Magnificent story, Sisiutil! I can hardly wait for the next chapter. :goodjob:

feldmarshall
Aug 11, 2007, 12:36 AM
It has been a long time since last update..

tthf
Aug 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
patience, sisiutil will post.

he has to deal with an issue called Real Life as well...

Basarin
Aug 12, 2007, 12:48 AM
Curse that real life, and forcing us into obligations! It shall rue the day...

rabidveggie
Aug 12, 2007, 01:09 PM
What's real life? Is it some sort of game similar to the Sims? ;)

r_rolo1
Aug 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
^^Yeah, but with lock assets ( no reloads ) and no pause button :(

<nuke>
Aug 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
What's real life? Is it some sort of game similar to the Sims? ;)

http://www.educationalsimulations.com/index.html

alcaras
Aug 13, 2007, 12:42 AM

That's actually pretty cool -- I thought it was a joke at first, but no, it's a real program... pretty neat stuff!

rabidveggie
Aug 13, 2007, 07:50 PM

Hmm... That shut me up in a hurry. :eek:

<nuke>
Aug 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
Just make sure not to buy full program, unload, reload, unload, reload

Fearless34
Aug 21, 2007, 11:29 AM
I am very impressed to say the least. I started reading this about 1 week ago and just arrived here, and all I can say is WOW. Your writing abilities surpass many of the authors of books that I read. The detail and emotion are truly astounding. Keep up the great work! You should consider maybe publishing this story, I would buy it! Thanks again for taking the time to write this story.:goodjob:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::dance:
Lucius, Noble Man, is my favorite, very nice man!

aronnax
Aug 22, 2007, 05:23 AM
Time goes by....
so slowy....
Time goes slowly.....
without my story

Mightion
Aug 23, 2007, 04:32 PM
This isn't over, is it? I certainly hope not...:confused: :sad:

carl corey
Aug 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
It's not. If I'm not mistaken Sisiutil is taking some time right now from his ALC series to post the next part.

m4gill4
Aug 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
Wow this is the most epic video game fan-fiction I've ever seen. Is this what happens when Hemingway or Dickens smokes pot and gets addicted to CiV?:lol:

really though, quite entertaining well done:goodjob:

Sisiutil
Aug 24, 2007, 01:11 AM
This isn't over, is it? I certainly hope not...:confused: :sad:
It ain't over 'til the last head rolls across the floor.

Er, next to last, actually...

Wow this is the most epic video game fan-fiction I've ever seen. Is this what happens when Hemingway or Dickens smokes pot and gets addicted to CiV?:lol:
I know I live in B.C., but trust me, I don't smoke any type of cigarette, funny or not. At least not recently. And I didn't inhale. ;)

Hemingway?

The Short Happy Life of Huayna Capac

He walked into the cafe and ordered a drink. It was hot out and the drink felt cool. He swallowed it down.

"That was a good drink," he said.

"Yes, they're good here," she said.

"I love you," he said, turning to her.

"Oh, please, let's not spoil it," she said. Her hair was blond and curly, like a young girl's.

"Let's have another drink," he said.

"Let's," she said.

They had another drink.

"I have a Quechua," he told her. "Now where shall I put him?"

She stood up and slapped him across the face, hard.

"You ruined my life!" she told him. She walked out.

"Another drink?" the bartender asked him.

"Sure," he said.

Right, okay, back to work on this thing.

m4gill4
Aug 24, 2007, 01:12 PM
^^ hehe very clever impression. Now do William Burroughs:eek:

Sisiutil
Aug 24, 2007, 02:37 PM
^^ hehe very clever impression. Now do William Burroughs:eek:

To do that, I'd have to be smoking something funny.

m4gill4
Aug 24, 2007, 02:46 PM
lol or injecting it straight into your jugular in his case

Terrance888
Aug 25, 2007, 09:48 PM
Hi! My Sister Annies Is reading and is going to comment soon!

StuntedAzrael
Aug 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
Firstly, I love your story. Excellent. I have been reading it for several days now and I have come to this point where I can't read the rest of this saga.

Just to let you know that there is one more civfanatic demanding for another chapter of this story.

Juvenal
Aug 28, 2007, 07:46 AM
OK, let me put this to you guys - I was thinking of hiring an assassin to nip over to see Sisiutil but, instead of killing him, he would simply "encourage" him to finish the damn story, i.e. stand behind him at the computer with a gun pointed at his head. I can think of only 3 main problems arising:

1) I don't know his real name

2) I don't know where in the hell in BC he lives

3) I don't know how dangerous his wife is and what she might do if she found a poorly-dressed ninja-wannabe holding a replica firearm at her hubby's head.

So, any help?

:lol:

aronnax
Aug 28, 2007, 08:16 AM
tell bush Al Qeuada is in Canada, they do the rest.

m4gill4
Aug 28, 2007, 04:50 PM
right because Bush is so great at catching terrorists...

Sweetacshon
Aug 29, 2007, 07:21 AM
I hear he's already claiming a victory in Canada. ;)

Sisiutil
Aug 29, 2007, 12:23 PM
Well, the game threw me a curve ball, and that's the reason for the delay.

I played the game through to the end a long, long time ago. I captured screen shots then, but several of them turned out to be insufficient in order to accompany the stories the game later inspired. So I've gone back in over time to get more screen shots. I practically re-played the entire Rome-Aztec war, for example, to get those screen shots highlighting Lucius' 14th Legion.

I went back into the game recently for the story I had in mind that takes place in the gunpowder era involving the invasion of the other continent. I won't go into details in order to not give things away, but I wound up at war with a different civ than in the previous play-through. Obviously that totally changes the story I have to write! Not only that, it made the story more difficult to write, because, well... okay, a Roman could pass for a Greek, but not for a Mongolian, right?

So I have to work out the mechanics of this new wrinkle. Once I do, I'll start posting story again.

Joxer
Aug 30, 2007, 11:05 AM
Your faithful fans anxiously await. . .

Terrance888
Aug 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Cramps in the Heart musels! (Run against heart attack...)

e350tb
Aug 31, 2007, 12:49 AM
You've been waiting THAT long? For all you know, British Columbia could be mesmerising our brilliant writer so much he keeps forgeting to write!

aronnax
Sep 01, 2007, 10:40 PM
right because Bush is so great at catching terrorists...

No, but he knows how to bomb cities left and right.

Sisiutil
Sep 02, 2007, 12:07 AM
No, but he knows how to bomb cities left and right.

This is so the wrong form and thread for this... ;)

StuntedAzrael
Sep 02, 2007, 03:20 AM
Sisiutil is here!!!! An update!

1 line update??

No...

It's not an update...

The walls are closing on me, the room is getting smaller and smaller. I'm not well. :(

Bill Odie
Sep 03, 2007, 12:44 PM
Oh god: I've just finished reading everything sis has written so far so I guess I'm just like the rest of you now:(
I'll just have to read the other storys bettween updates but until I get over the emotions of reading something this good (in 2 or 3 years time) they'll never be the same;/

Tunguska
Sep 04, 2007, 08:12 AM
Yay, one more to help split the agony of waiting!

Bill Odie
Sep 04, 2007, 11:44 AM
Well it's not as bad for me as it used to be for you then is it:)
I think it's worth waiting sis's clearly taking his time over this.
I do think you should think about getting this published sis, it's one of the best things I've ever read.

Sisiutil
Sep 04, 2007, 12:52 PM
I do think you should think about getting this published sis, it's one of the best things I've ever read.

Thanks for the compliment, but that's unlikely since it's pretty much in the public domain. However, if and when I do publish my own original work, I'll be sure to let everyone here know.

Premier Valle
Sep 09, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hi, I'm another long time lurker first time poster. Now that I have read the whole thread, I come to share the pain and the agony of the wait, and of course, to praise Sisiutil for this magnificent work. :worship:

Thanks Sisiutil, I shall stoically wait for your next update.

Yay, one more to help split the agony of waiting!

Count me in!

Ultimate_Waffle
Sep 10, 2007, 01:38 AM
Hurry Sisiutil, you must hurry!

Terrance888
Sep 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
Stabs myself with a pike.... only to find the handle to faraway from the pik head and discovered sense when he instantly saw the update apear before his head..... My head!

barbslinger
Sep 10, 2007, 06:57 PM
Really good story. Looking forward to future installments. Great writing and thanks for the enjoyment.

Uncle Istvan
Sep 10, 2007, 09:58 PM
Really good story. Looking forward to future installments. Great writing and thanks for the enjoyment.

Sisiutil is here!!!! An update!

1 line update??

No...

It's not an update...

The walls are closing on me, the room is getting smaller and smaller. I'm not well. :(
I like how you can tell how long someone has been following this story by their level of desparation.

phillip1882
Sep 11, 2007, 08:52 PM
i'm more of a lurker than a poster, but i just had to say that i love your story, keep the great work coming.
:)

Bill Odie
Sep 12, 2007, 02:58 PM
i'm more of a lurker than a poster, but i just had to say that i love your story, keep the great work coming.
:)

Year and don't you dare just give up and leave the thread unfinished like I've noticed some people do:nono:

By the way I've been re-reading this story and I've noticed waaaaaaay back in chapter 2, the two brothers, when Remus was explaining where they should build Rome, he mentioned he felt some sort of instinct, something they didn't understand yet. Was that ever explained or has sis left that hanging?

Sisiutil
Sep 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
By the way I've been re-reading this story and I've noticed waaaaaaay back in chapter 2, the two brothers, when Remus was explaining where they should build Rome, he mentioned he felt some sort of instinct, something they didn't understand yet. Was that ever explained or has sis left that hanging?

Iron. In the BFC. What else could it have been?

Ultimate_Waffle
Sep 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
How much longer Sisiutil?

Bill Odie
Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
Iron. In the BFC. What else could it have been?

Ah, missed that

Sisiutil
Sep 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
How much longer Sisiutil?

If I knew, I would have posted information to that effect already. I just changed to new duties at my job and it's very exciting but is taking the bulk of my energy as I get used to the role. So sadly, I'm not feeling very inspired lately.

Gifts might help. You know, gift certificates for Amazon.com or the like. Or cash. Cash is always good. ;)

Terrance888
Sep 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
.... or just selll a chapter book or a manuscrip to fireaxis....

carl corey
Sep 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
Cash is always good. ;)

Hard to trace, eh? :p

Good luck with your new duties, and hope you enjoy them. Come back when you can.

StuntedAzrael
Sep 14, 2007, 05:57 AM
If I knew, I would have posted information to that effect already. I just changed to new duties at my job and it's very exciting but is taking the bulk of my energy as I get used to the role. So sadly, I'm not feeling very inspired lately.

Gifts might help. You know, gift certificates for Amazon.com or the like. Or cash. Cash is always good. ;)

Lies. ;) You're having fun with Isabella aren't you? Hm?

As for inspiration, visit some museums featuring staff from Amercan civil war or something similar from that period of time. It's the age of rifles now.

LegionSteve
Sep 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
I've been lurking around civfanatics for months now, but I only recently started reading the stories. This is brilliant, top quality stuff. :goodjob:

Only problem is, now I've got to the end of the thread and I have to wait for the next bit like everyone else :cry:

However, if and when I do publish my own original work, I'll be sure to let everyone here know.

You must, after reading this I would definitely buy it :)

demokratickid
Sep 15, 2007, 10:01 PM
Can't wait for an update, sis! :)

aronnax
Sep 20, 2007, 07:16 AM
Well i am officially no longer addicted to this thread. Sistuil made me wait long enough to wean me off.

carl corey
Sep 20, 2007, 07:20 AM
Heh, wait until you read the first update and then we'll talk. :lol: Just read a book in the meantime. Also, stop bumping this, you make me think there's an update. :gripe: :p

Izipo
Sep 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
Quitter !
Just give the lord some time...
You don't want a rushed out Xpack, do you ? Errr, I meant story.;)

carmen510
Sep 20, 2007, 06:23 PM
I wanna roll with... the Romans...

But so far Sisiutil hasn't posted...

:p

Gooblah
Sep 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ewww. I just had a nasty thought. Ignore the spoiler plz. It makes me feel ashamed...
Casear and Elizabeth's kids!

Sisiutil
Sep 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ewww. I just had a nasty thought. Ignore the spoiler plz. It makes me feel ashamed...
Casear and Elizabeth's kids!

Relax. In the Highlander mythos, immortals can't have children. ;)

Terrance888
Sep 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
Whew! :wink:

r_rolo1
Sep 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
^^After being killed for the first time ( they can before ) . But that doesn't apply here... :p

EDIT: crosspost

tthf
Sep 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
so this story has died?

Sisiutil
Oct 01, 2007, 12:37 AM
so this story has died?
Absolutely not! It's just, er, on hiatus until I find time and inspiration to finish it.

Like I said, the game threw me a curve ball when I went back into it to get more screenshots. Genghis declared war on Liz rather than Alexander, which is how it had been the first time around. I had already developed a story idea around Romans and English versus the Greeks, and no, it's not that simple to change the adversary. Mongols and Greeks don't look at all alike, you see. A Roman could pass for a Greek, but for a Mongol? I don't think so.

I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure. Please be patient.

e350tb
Oct 01, 2007, 02:15 AM
There's a little thing that may help you here...World Builder.

Niklas
Oct 01, 2007, 05:04 AM
Or maybe go back and replay yet again for screen shots? Maybe it reverts to the original story again then. :)

Sisiutil
Oct 01, 2007, 01:08 PM
There's a little thing that may help you here...World Builder.

Yeah, I may end up doing that. :blush:

Gooblah
Oct 01, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thank's sisutil. I was having nightmares after that post...

Just kidding.

demokratickid
Oct 01, 2007, 03:01 PM
Oohhhh! I can't wait!

Black Mech
Oct 01, 2007, 09:11 PM
hey sis didn't some chinese intergrate witht the romans at the beginning, wouldn't there be one that looked like a mongol?

Norton II
Oct 02, 2007, 12:53 AM
hey sis didn't some chinese intergrate witht the romans at the beginning, wouldn't there be one that looked like a mongol?

They conquered Japan earlier, too. There are bound to be some Japanese who could pass for Mongols as well.

Sisiutil
Oct 02, 2007, 11:21 AM
They conquered Japan earlier, too. There are bound to be some Japanese who could pass for Mongols as well.

That's another possibility I'm considering. Either way, I have to rewrite a lot of what I've already written. *sigh*

I'll get it done, never fear!

AbsolutePower
Oct 03, 2007, 09:39 PM
theres no rush. i just got started with this story (or novel as i should say) so i got some major catching up to do. honestly im not a big reader but im already completly addicted. this story is awesome.

Bill Odie
Oct 04, 2007, 10:30 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138260This may sound unbelievable but I may have found a solution to our problems (the agony of waiting) I've found a very good thread called "funny screen shots" you can probably guess what it's about from the title. It's not quite as good as this thread but it's very entertaining and may help to ease our pains. And with 151 pages it'll take you long enough to read through it :eek: see a link to it above

Premier Valle
Oct 04, 2007, 11:12 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138260This may sound unbelievable but I may have found a solution to our problems (the agony of waiting) I've found a very good thread called "funny screen shots" you can probably guess what it's about from the title. It's not quite as good as this thread but it's very entertaining and may help to ease our pains. And with 151 pages it'll take you long enough to read through it :eek: see a link to it above

True, that is a good thread to spend some time, I have read up to (around) the 30th page, the first pages are a lot of fun, but later the thread starts to decay, perhaps (hopefully) it gets better later.

Anyway it is worth to read that thread, good call Bill.

Izipo
Oct 05, 2007, 04:36 PM
Guys, if you have time to spare just head to the Off-Topic section, or better yet, to the Forum Games.
Want to have fun, randomly click links in my signature. Come and join us.

And to stay on topic : The 1st year anniversary of this wonderful story is approaching (October the 17th). Thanks again,and again, and again, for this magnificent read. :hatsoff:

Bill Odie
Oct 06, 2007, 03:48 AM
The 1st year anniversary of this wonderful story is approaching (October the 17th).

At 5:30am to be precise. Pity I'll probably sleep through it.

Uncle Istvan
Oct 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
Happy 1 year everybody! Hopefully a new section before the next aniversary!

Zhuge_Liang
Oct 18, 2007, 01:40 AM
Oh. It's already a year?

Izipo
Oct 18, 2007, 11:23 AM
Gaaah, I missed the birthday...
Seriously, I hope we will soon get a late surprise gift from the master of stories...
:bday:

rabidveggie
Oct 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
Here's my present, its a coffin cause this story is dead. Prove me wrong Sisiutil, prove me wrong. :p

The Menace
Oct 19, 2007, 09:47 PM
Update, please, its been one year since the beginning

Bill Odie
Oct 20, 2007, 03:26 AM
Oh, quit whining, it's been a while though, nearly 3 months. I'll bet you anything sis is enjoying the power he's got over us and is deliberately waiting ages between updates
:joke: Nah sis I know your really just getting a famous author to write this for you and he's died!

tthf
Oct 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
arrghh i thought there was an update.....

Bill Odie
Oct 22, 2007, 06:09 AM
Bet you thought this was an update an' all! *evil laugh* I wish I could write as well as sis just so I could do this to people :evil:

barbslinger
Oct 23, 2007, 01:56 AM
I'm out! Back to Pax Romana,, yea

MrFelony
Oct 23, 2007, 02:13 AM
Oh, quit whining, it's been a while though, nearly 3 months. I'll bet you anything sis is enjoying the power he's got over us and is deliberately waiting ages between updates
:joke: Nah sis I know your really just getting a famous author to write this for you and he's died!

i hope you don't mean the author of the Wheel of Time series :(.

Bill Odie
Oct 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
i hope you don't mean the author of the Wheel of Time series .
well you never know...

Bill Odie
Oct 24, 2007, 03:10 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=246497
Hey guys, I've found another funny thread that's almost as good as this one that could help to ease our pains. It's basically a thread where you can post your ideas for funny things that would happen to civ4 if it was similar to real life and history, things like "you can't play multi player games until you've built the Internet". It's only just started and is only a page long but I think it has the capacity to get as big as the funny screen shot page, see a link to it above.

Premier Valle
Oct 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
Nice thread, thnx!

tthf
Oct 25, 2007, 11:55 PM
your posts keep making me think sisiutil has posted!!

i should have known better by now.....

jrh3000
Oct 26, 2007, 02:34 AM
ive just finished reading the story and it is amazing!
remember back to the beginning with Brutus and then Ceaser meeting Tokugawa on the streets of Rome. The scale of the story is incredible, going through the wars with Tokugawa and Isabella, the building of the Great Lighthouse by Sostratus, Lucius and the Aztecs, Hanno's great journey, e.tc e.t.c I just cannot believe what I am reading it is so good, keep up the great work!!!! ;)

Bill Odie
Oct 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
You think it's amazing now, just wait until you read an update after about two years of waiting, I haven't experienced it yet 'cos I finished reading this after sis posted the last update but it must be bloomin' brilliant!

Sisiuti1
Oct 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
Chapter 14 Repost: Bush

The Romans shuddered. A dark aura shot through the land, as an uncomfortable presence approached.

A warmongering dictator, extremely advanced and well armed, recently learned of the Roman Empire, and had come to meet Caesar.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9633/bushmeetingpq6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Romans watched uncomfortably as George, surrounded by men in black suits approached Caesar. The citizens expected a heated discussion, but Bush simply made the small gesture of raising his middle finger at Caesar, smiling and leaving.

The next day:

"Bye bye Rome," Bush smiled as he pushed the big red button.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8431/nukepj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:nuke:The End.:nuke:

PS: FYI this is a childish joke to provoke updates and to create false hope for fun. Ban me if you wish, but update your goddamn story.

Bill Odie
Oct 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh Ha Ha :rolleyes:

But how on earth did you do the George Bush screen shot?

Sisiuti1
Oct 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
It's called Photoshop. Revolutionary stuff, to be honest.

MrFelony
Oct 29, 2007, 05:24 PM
having not actually read the story, i say this must be the best ending ever. and whoever made that account is really cruel to anyone who's dying to read a real update :p

Izipo
Oct 29, 2007, 05:55 PM
Having read the story, I say this sucks. Big time. Wasn't the first warning enough ?

btw, 1st and 300th posts made here. How fitting.

Sisiuti1
Oct 29, 2007, 06:00 PM
The first "warning" was a failed IP ban. And yet, no, it wasn't. Read the bottom of my post.

Premier Valle
Oct 29, 2007, 07:04 PM
Well, I found the Bush thing funny. :lol:

Sisiuti1
Oct 29, 2007, 07:44 PM
See? This guy is cool ^

Sisiutil
Oct 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
... but update your goddamn story.

This is SO NOT the way to motivate me.

MrFelony
Oct 29, 2007, 10:11 PM
I agree with Sisiutil (the first time i've called him by his whole name in idk how many posts). i think it's surprising how much people pester writers for updates. In the only other forum I'm on, this isn't tolerated because 1) the person does it for free and 2) it can get extremely annoying to have people constantly blathering at you about when an update is coming. I'm not saying i haven't done it (well everyone else is so why not? lol), just that people should consider that some people have a lot of real life issues to deal with before they start pestering about an update and have some patience.

Don't mean to antagonize the loyal readers of this thread specifically, this is more of a general forum wide issue.

Bill Odie
Oct 30, 2007, 03:19 AM
I'm not saying i haven't done it (well everyone else is so why not? lol),
oi I haven't, I've been trying to shut everyone up.

(...Although personally I'd love to have the control over people sis has managed to get over us. I'd blackmail them and ask them to send me £100 for every update :lol:)

MrFelony
Oct 30, 2007, 03:38 AM
Don't mean to antagonize the loyal readers of this thread specifically, this is more of a general forum wide issue.

I didnt mean anyone specifically (well besides Sisiuti1), just that it seems to happen a lot on these forums ;)

Fetch
Oct 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
This is SO NOT the way to motivate me.

Sis-

I think you've got a stalker with a bad sense of humor. You may want to change your name, move to a new continent, don an eye patch, and grow a beard.

-OR-

You may already be the victim of identity theft. (I have a presentation due on this tonight.) Here's a sneak peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irowZ7qoZt8

rabidveggie
Oct 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
Well... At least this one isn't anti-semetic. Maybe anti bush, but what isn't these days? I'm only midly annoyed that my hopes were somewhat raised yet again.

Zhuge_Liang
Oct 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
Chapter 14 Repost: Doomsday

The Romans stumbled upon the arrival of an unknown man with unfamiliar weapons and distinctively tall bodyguards.

The world trembled before him as he said:

"I am Julius Caesar and came here from the future and wishes to help your crappy nation." Julius was shocked.

Thousands of years had past until.......................

"Are the transmitters ready for the finale?" Caesar consulted one of the coordinators. "Yes sir!" the coordinator replied.

"Now! Fire the up the boosters! We'll show them the might of the Romans!" Caesar said to one coordinator.

"In 3, 2, 1, and.............." in that splitsecond, the world had stopped. People watched what will happen.

"Chusetts!" the coordinator shouted. Rock and Roll was discovered.

:confused: :confused: :confused: THE END :confused: :confused: :confused:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sisiutil, an UPDATE PLZ.

Bill Odie
Oct 30, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sisiutil, an UPDATE PLZ.
He's probably gonna end up running out of ideas with all the spoof updates you lot are gonna end up posting. :mischief:

Niklas
Oct 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
This thread has gone from being a very enjoyable story to a veritable spam fest. Sure it's been a long time since the last update, but that's absolutely no excuse for the behavior festering here. Seriously people, **** up. And let Sisiutil write the story in whatever pace he feels like. It's his thread, his story, his free time.

rabidveggie
Oct 30, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ya its getting a bit sad. Although I`ve been spreading tales of doom whenever I post so I should STFU and wait too.

Civfan333
Oct 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well, It has now been officially three months and a day since Sis last added a new part to the story. All we can hope for is that he updates soon and that people stop making spoof updates.
PLEASE UPDATE SOON. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sisiutil
Oct 30, 2007, 11:31 PM
Princes 14 – Child’s Play

Part 1: Shortcomings

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/sisiutil/Princes/Princes14_01.jpg

It was a beautiful, peaceful morning on the plains northeast of Pisae, Rome’s primary military city. The sun shone overhead through a sky dappled with a few small, puffy white clouds. A gentle breeze blew from the west, its pleasing warmth offering the promise of summer on this excellent spring day. In a copse of trees to one side of the plain, birds were chirping and singing as if in exultation.

Yes, it was a beautiful, peaceful day. Of course it couldn’t last.

The air suddenly crackled with the sound of several small, harsh explosions. The birds in the nearby trees suddenly squawked and leapt into the sky in alarm. A haze of sulphuric smoke drifted across the plain, carried by the spring breeze.

“Well, they’re noisy as hell, I’ll grant them that much,” Caesar said. He wore a dark purple coat, white shirt, and black knee-breeches—the latest fashions for a gentleman, let alone a man of authority. Togas were now only worn on the most formal of occasions, and Caesar had no desire to be seen as old-fashioned. His face was clean-shaven and his hair cut short. Queues had come into fashion lately, but Caesar disdained them as unnecessary vanity.

“With all due respect, Caesar, you can’t discount that factor,” the young man next to him said. “Noise like that can strike fear into the heart of the enemy.”

“Have you ever been in a battle?” Caesar asked the young man sharply.

“Er, no…” he acknowledged, suddenly embarrassed.

“Hrmph. Well, that makes the observation even more astute.”

Caesar turned to look at the young man and bestowed a thin smile upon him. Li Shang was tall and slender, clean-shaven in the Roman tradition, while its Chinese counterpart was observed by the neat, coal-black queue of hair that hung down his back. He wore a long robe that was traditional among his people. He was also, everyone told Caesar, brilliant. Roman scientists had created, almost by accident, an explosive powder several years ago. A few whimsical scientists had found a way to change the color of the flames given off during the explosion and had thereby developed a spectacular way to celebrate various national and religious holidays. Li Shang, however, had been the one to see the potential military applications.

“Proceed with your demonstration, Li,” Caesar said.

Li nodded to the officer in charge of the musketmen.

“Reload!” the officer shouted.

The immortal leader of Rome turned his icy blue eyes to study the line of men standing a few yards in front of him. There were about fifty men there. They were lowering the stocks of their weapons, muskets they called them, to the ground. He watched as they went through the laborious procedure of reloading the muskets. First they turned to the right and drew up a horn of gunpowder from their belts. They primed the pan with a pinch of gunpowder, then they poured some more down the long barrel. The horn went back to their belts, then the musketmen grabbed a lead ball from a pouch which was also attached to their belts. The ball went into the top of the barrel. Then each man drew a long metal rod from where it was held along the outside of the musket barrel and used it to ram the bullet down. Once loaded, they lifted the weapons back to their shoulders.

“Fire!” their commanding officer shouted.

Once again the crackle of musketry filled the air. A breeze carried the rotten egg smell of the burnt gunpowder back towards Caesar. His nose wrinkled at the foul odour. He could see that the musketmen’s faces were blackened from the powder. Several of them were blinking rapidly, and more than a few took a moment to swig water from canteens. He imagined that their throats must be dry and their eyes watering from the acrid smoke their weapons generated. They looked increasingly uncomfortable, as though they couldn’t wait for the demonstration to end.

It was a perfect time for him to spring his trap.

Caesar raised his left hand to his shoulder and let it fall. Suddenly, from out of the copse of trees where birds had been singing only a few moments before, a group of cavalry, two dozen strong, burst from out of the woods. They shouted a war-cry and charged towards the musketmen. They were armed with sabres, but had no fear of the discharged weapons they faced.

They engendered that very emotion in the musketmen they galloped towards. It didn’t matter that the attack made no sense, that the continent of Rome was at peace and had been for generations, that no enemy could possibly appear like this in the middle of their territory. The horsemen were a threat and they reacted instinctively. They threw down their weapons and ran. Two of them tried to remain and reload their weapons, but as they fumbled with the powder horns and the balls, which were suddenly slippery in their sweat-covered fingers, they realized how hopeless it was. The two stalwart musketmen dropped their weapons and joined their comrades in a panicked retreat.

As they ran, they musketmen suddenly saw, just a few yards away, their salvation: a regiment of pikemen, the blades of their long, wicked weapons held high above their heads. The musketmen gratefully rushed towards the pikemen and disappeared among their ranks and files. As the horsemen grew near, a sergeant barked an order and the pikes descended, pointing straight at the approaching horses. The charging beasts checked their charge and steered away from the bristling array of pikes.

Caesar raised his open hand and the “battle” suddenly stopped. The pikemen raised their weapons then lowed the butts of the pikes to the ground and stood in parade rest. The cavalry slowed to a trot and their lead officer redressed their line. Behind the pikemen, the musketmen milled about, glancing at one another in shame.

“What are you so embarrassed about?” Caesar called to them. The Roman leader had held his ground as the cavalry galloped past; Li Sheng had been too shocked to move. “If you’d stood your ground, you’d be dead to a man.”

“Which is a serious issue with your new weapon, young man,” General Bayonnus, standing beside Caesar, said to Li Sheng.

The General was in advanced middle age. His dark brown hair and moustache were grizzled with grey hairs, but his stomach was flat and trim, showing no sign of the paunch so many other, less active men displayed at his age. His uniform, with its gold shoulder epaulettes, dark purple long-tailed coat, and knee-breeches, was immaculate; his tri-corn hat he held behind his back so he could enjoy the spring sun upon his face. He himself had not seen battle, but he came from a long line of military men and he had made the study of strategy and tactics his life’s work. In the immortal Caesar, he’d found an experienced and willing tutor.

“It’s not the only one,” Caesar said dryly. “They take a damned long time to load. How many shots can a skilled musketman fire inside of a minute?” he asked in the tone of a man who knows the answer to the question he has just asked.

“One, perhaps two,” Li Sheng admitted in a low voice.

“A longbowman can release upwards of ten arrows in that same time,” the General commented.

“And what is the effective range of the weapon?” Caesar asked.

“Approximately one hundred yards,” Li Sheng replied.

“Half that of a longbow,” Bayonnus remarked.

“And in a stiff wind…?” Caesar asked.

Li Sheng coughed uncomfortably. “A little over half that.”

“Hrmph,” Bayonnus grunted. “You daren’t fire until you see the whites of their eyes. And pray to whichever of Rome’s gods you believe in that it’s not raining. I’ve seen how effective gunpowder is when it’s wet. Not very.”

Li Sheng didn’t know what to say. They were right, these military men. And yet he knew he was right as well.

“I do not deny that the musket has… issues,” the young Chinese scientist acknowledged. “But surely you both see the potential…?”

“My dear young man, Caesar and I wouldn’t be spending a pleasant spring day choking back the stinking fumes of your odious weapon if we didn’t see some potential in it!” General Bayonnus said irritably. Seeing the young scientist lower his eyes in shame, and then seeing Caesar casting a reproving look his way, the General decided to take a gentler tack. “Don’t be disheartened. Let’s look at the problem analytically—scientist and strategist together, eh?” He patted Li Sheng on the shoulder in a fatherly manner. “You there!” the General called to one of the musketmen. “Yes, you. Retrieve one of those muskets you dropped and bring it here, my good man.”

The musketman, obviously a soldier used to obeying orders—especially those issued by a general—ran back to where the abandoned muskets lay on the ground. He hastily picked one up and then ran back to where the General, Caesar, and the young scientist were standing.

“Ten-SHUN!” General Bayonnus commanded, and the musket man stood stock still, his eyes staring over the General’s shoulder, the musket held at his side with its stock upon the ground and its barrel pointed towards the sky.

The barrel was long, nearly as tall as the man himself. Supposedly the longer barrel increased accuracy, but the accuracy of the weapon, as Li Sheng had admitted, wasn’t that great to begin with. And though the General had compared the musket unfavourably to the longbow, he would be the first to acknowledge that the former weapon had one huge advantage over the latter: time. It took years to train a longbowman, for the man to develop the strength to pull the equivalent of a grown man’s weight with two fingers, and then to develop the accuracy required to wield the weapon effectively. These musketmen, the general knew, had only started training with the musket six months ago, and already they were as proficient with the weapon as any man could be.

“It’s easier to use than a longbow, I’ll grant you that,” the General said, staring at the weapon. “But it lacks the range and accuracy. You and your fellow laboratory monkeys will have to come up with solutions to those two problems.”

“Loading as well,” Caesar added. “There has got to be a better way to load the weapon than the cumbersome procedure currently used.”

“Look here,” the General said, tapping his finger upon the pan. “What if you cut a hole there so the ball and powder could be loaded directly, rather than all this business of pouring and ramming down the muzzle?”

Li Sheng blinked. “It would be… challenging.”

“Pah!” the General barked. “You’re a Roman. You thrive on challenge!’

“What about accuracy, what can be done there?” Caesar asked.

“We can’t make the barrel any longer,” Li Sheng asserted. “It would make the musket unwieldy.”

“So speed it up,” the General said.

“I beg your pardon, sir?” Li Sheng responded.

“Make the ball go faster. That should make it more accurate.”

Li Sheng shook his head. “You want me to cut a hole in the base of the barrel, which will weaken it,” he said in a confused tone, “and then you want me to put a stronger charge in the pan, which could blow it apart?”

“As I said,” the General responded with a smile, “Romans thrive on challenge. Keep telling yourself that until you believe it.” Li Sheng stared at him, then shook his head. “You also need to find a way to counter the cavalry,” the General went on. “They’ll tear your men to pieces while they’re reloading.”

“I think that’s more our territory than Li Sheng’s, General,” Caesar said. The immortal crossed his arms and then thoughtfully raised his right hand to his chin. “Consider this: Legionaries don’t all fight at the same time. Why should the musketmen all fire at the same time?”

“Ah!” General Bayonnus said. “Brilliant! Put the men in two ranks…”

“One rank fires while the other reloads,” Caesar said, “the former protecting the latter.”

“Yes, yes,” Bayonnus replied. “But they still take too long to load. In that time, a cavalry or even an infantry charge could reach the men. They’ll need another way to defend themselves.”

“The musketmen could carry swords,” Li Sheng suggested. “Or knives?”

General Bayonnus shook his head. “Seconds count in a fight. Switching weapons like that could make the difference between life and death. The General stared at the musket, then at the pikes that were still held aloft, glittering in the sun in the distance. He stared back at the musket. “What if…,” he said softly, then paused as the idea took shape. “What if you attached a blade to the end of the musket?”

Both Caesar and the scientist stared at him, wide-eyed. “A… blade?” Li Sheng said.

“Yes, a blade, like the sword you suggested,” the General responded. “The musket’s half the length of a pike, granted, but you could still make it into one.”

“It would… get in the way of the ball,” Li Sheng objected, but hesitantly.

The general shrugged. “So curve it, so it’s out of the way. Or detach it. Or both!”

“Just make it easy to attach the blade,” Caesar said, “so it can be done in an instant.”

“Yes,” Li Sheng said softly, staring at the musket. “Yes, it could work!” He turned and smiled at the General. “It’s a brilliant suggestion sir, and will make the weapon even more versatile. I don’t know about the problems with accuracy and speed, not yet, but the blade… I’ll name it after you, sir, to honour the man who derived the idea.” Li Sheng then bowed towards General Bayonnus.

“Oh, well, really…” the General said, but was secretly pleased by the idea. The Pax Romanus meant he hadn’t been able to make his name with great battles, but having a weapon named after him would guarantee his immortality. “If you feel you must…” he said with a shrug that did nothing to fool Caesar, who watched the General with detached amusement.

“Well, it’s back to the drawing board for you, Li Sheng,” Caesar said. “Send word to Rome when you have results.”

tthf
Oct 30, 2007, 11:54 PM
omgwtfbbq!!!!!! nice update, tying in the gunpowder era...

an update!! w00t!!!!

i'm so happy!! 'sniff'

edit: good to see you back sisiutil!

e350tb
Oct 31, 2007, 12:25 AM
Alas! The Bayonet.

*Bows down to the weapon and update*

rabidveggie
Oct 31, 2007, 01:16 AM
Hoozah! This will shut me up for a while. Its nice to see you still haven't lost your touch after taking so long a break Sisiutil. :goodjob:

Zhuge_Liang
Oct 31, 2007, 05:36 AM
Yes! An update! Nice one too!

carl corey
Oct 31, 2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the update, Sisiutil. :) Hope this gets you back on your writing ways. :goodjob:

Nicce
Oct 31, 2007, 09:21 AM
:woohoo: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :rockon: :thanx:

Great Stuff!
Cheers, Niclas

Civfan333
Oct 31, 2007, 01:35 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Nice. The Romans have entered the gunpowder age. :dance: :thanx: :thanx:
Thanks for update. I wonder when they'll get grenadiers and riflemen.;) ;)

Awesome stuff as usual.

The Menace
Oct 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
:) :) :) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Caesar has new weapons

Terrance888
Oct 31, 2007, 03:34 PM
Bayonet their nose! Also add some Rifleman and Musket pictures... but that update is simply :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::w oohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohooo::wo ohoo::woohoo:

Matthix
Oct 31, 2007, 03:42 PM
:) :) :) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Caesar has new weapons

And new weapons mean more war (I hope...) :devil:

The Menace
Oct 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
And new weapons mean more war (I hope...) :devil:

:agree:

What he said

Sisiuti1
Oct 31, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evidently something came out of my efforts.

Civfan333
Oct 31, 2007, 04:38 PM

Yep. He probably got so annoyed at people making spoof endings and decided to post another part. NOT! I THINK HE JUST FINALLY got rid of his writing block.:p ;)
The spoof ending was kinda funny in a twisted way.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, it's great and awesome and great and awesome writing as usual. Better than most books I read and one of the best Civ stories.
Flouzemaker's stories are funnier, though. But I think princes is better in a lot of ways to.:cool:

Uncle Istvan
Oct 31, 2007, 05:13 PM
Glorious day- Salvation and Sisuitil surreptiotiously show simultaneously!
O muse, sing to Sisuitil of whatever he wishes, assuming it allows for more updates!

Izipo
Oct 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just a quickie to say thank you.
Sisiutil, you're still CFC's own Great Artist (a settled one, don't worry).

Uncle Istvan
Oct 31, 2007, 06:12 PM

Hmm, if we get a great scientist, we should pop him for Civ V

Premier Valle
Oct 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
:thanx::woohoo::bowdown::worship::hatsoff::clap:

Fortunately, a settled one.

Hmm, if we get a great scientist, we should pop him for Civ V

Umhhh, I wonder how a person "pops" :lol:

Uncle Istvan
Oct 31, 2007, 09:03 PM
Umhhh, I wonder how a person "pops" :lol:

I'm going to ignore the potential for a dirty joke here, and guess that there are some overworked people on the Civ. Dev. Squad who could tell you that one must sacrifice one's self for civ... though they may be victims of :whipped: at the hands of Sid.

rabidveggie
Oct 31, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm guessing Sid only whips when everyone starts to get crowded by more and more workers, or as they reach a deadline.

Bill Odie
Nov 01, 2007, 03:25 AM
I think over the course of this thread your followers have used pretty much every word of praise in the English language, so I'll settle with:
:thumbsup: :egypt: :smoke: :clap: :bowdown: :worship: :hatsoff: [pimp] :devil: :viking: :wavey: :rockon: [party] :dance: :rotfl: :band: :bday: :beer: :salute: :banana:

Sisiutil
Nov 01, 2007, 12:26 PM
Of course there will be more war. The only available victory condition is conquest, after all. :D

No comment other than... :rolleyes:

demokratickid
Nov 01, 2007, 06:21 PM
Wonderful! I have always loved playing in the gunpowder age! Matter of fact, that's where my own story begins! Well, no matter, excellent update!

e350tb
Nov 02, 2007, 05:26 PM
Roman Legionaries with rifles and Redcoats fighting side by side!

carmen510
Nov 02, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thou Sisuitil is great,
but now he must make more updates. :D

:p

:clap: Excellent update BTW.

Bill Odie
Nov 04, 2007, 12:38 PM
Now how long will it be till everyone starts moaning again :rolleyes:

Izipo
Nov 04, 2007, 12:48 PM
Now how long will it be till everyone starts moaning again :rolleyes:

Look, it's begun already!

sorry, couldn't resist

Sisiutil
Nov 04, 2007, 01:14 PM

Part 2: Family Honour

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/sisiutil/Princes/Princes14_02.jpg

But Li Sheng never did send word to Rome regarding his progress, because he felt as though he’d failed. In actual fact, he’d made significant progress. His greatest innovation was the cartridge, a development which saw the gunpowder and lead ball required for a single shot packed together in a paper envelope. This did away with the necessity of having the musketmen carefully measuring the gunpowder into the musket themselves, and it increased the rate of fire significantly, from one shot per minute to as much as three or four from a skilled musketman.

The bayonet was another successful innovation, though Li Sheng had to give credit for the idea to the General who shared the weapon’s name. A 24-inch long, wickedly sharp blade hung from the musketman’s belt and could be attacked to the end of the musket’s barrel by quickly and easily sliding the collar of the bayonet onto the muzzle, then twisting it to lock it in place. It made the musket equally deadly in close quarters when there was no time to load the weapon. Caesar himself adapted the old legions’ tortoise formation into a similar defensive square that could ward off cavalry.

Despite these successes, Li Sheng despaired. He never solved the other shortcomings of the musket in his lifetime, and for that, he felt he was a failure. His attempts to create a breech-loading gun ended in miserable disappointment, weakening the barrel so that the musket became more deadly to its wielder than to the enemy. And although his cartridges increased the rate of fire, the musket remained woefully inaccurate at distances in excess of one hundred yards.

“You must solve these problems,” a much older Li Sheng told his son, Li Jin. “Not just for my sake. For your family’s sake.” The aging Sheng shook his head of prematurely grey hair sadly. “I fear their solutions are beyond me. You must rectify my shame, my son. It is a heavy burden I lay upon you, I know, but…”

Li Jin nodded dutifully. “I will do it, father. I will find a way.”

Li Jin was Roman, ethnic Chinese, and a devout Confucian as well; filial duty came naturally to him. He had applied himself at the university in Ravenna, finishing at the top of his class. Immediately after graduation, he had obtained a research position at the new military academy in Pisae. There, he applied himself to making the weapon his father had invented, the musket, even better.

Everything else in his life came second to this task. His father passed away at the relatively young age of fifty-seven. Jin shed his tears in private, but thought that his father’s death was a sign of his confidence in his son, that he would succeed where the older man had failed. This hardened his resolve even further. His mother had arranged a marriage for him, and though Jin was fond of his wife, he was glad it was not a romantic match. A lover would have expected more time with him and would not have understood why he needed to spend so much time away from home, spending more time in his lab and on the military testing grounds than he did in his house in Pisae.

The one joy in his life that took him away from his struggles to improve Rome’s weaponry came along a year after his marriage: his son, Wei. Even the dedicated military engineer was surprised at what a devoted father he could be. As the boy grew, Jin increasingly ensured that his schedule allowed him to spend time with his son—to be present as the boy took his first steps, kicked his first ball, lost his baby teeth, and eventually welcomed two younger sisters into the world. As much as Jin loved his daughters, however, his son was his pride and joy and the only true rival to his life’s work when it came to his time and attention.

Jin fervently hoped that Wei would follow in the footsteps of himself and his grandfather by going first to university, and then pursuing the family trade of weapons engineering. As Jin despaired of ever improving the musket, he hoped that Wei would redeem the family honour if he could not. But Wei had little interest in science; he grew tall and strong and seemed only interested in the physical. He became an accomplished athlete, and was winning several athletic honours by his mid-teens.

“My son,” Jin told him after dinner one night, “Your mother and I are proud of your athletic accomplishments. You have brought honour to your family with your physical prowess.” His face shone with pride as he said the words.

“Thank you, father,” Wei replied with a smile.

The fifteen-year-old had come first in both the 100-yard and 200-yard races against the other schools in Pisae that day. The sound of the crowd’s cheers were still ringing in his ears. Wei had impressed everyone, including one particular girl, the niece of a prosperous merchant in Brundisium. His smile broadened as he remembered how she’d blushed when he’d winked at her from the winner’s platform.

Jin took a deep breath and paused, as he always did before broaching the one painful topic that lay between he and his adored son.

“If only, my son, you would apply yourself at your academic studies the way you do at athletics,” Jin said in a gentle voice, accompanied by a teasing grin that belied the serious intent of his message.

Wei suppressed a sigh. It was an old argument, and custom forbade him from being openly defiant of his father. Even so, his father’s message was plain, and it rankled. He could not let it lie.

“The master said, ‘There are several paths to honour,’” Wei said quietly.

Jin blinked and stared at his son in surprised silence for a moment. Then he smiled.

“So you have been paying attention to some of your lessons, I see,” Jin said. “The master also said, ‘When your father is alive, observe his will,’” he added.

This time Wei could not suppress his sigh. “Father, I do not want to toil for years on a fruitless task! I want to bring honour to our family, but in other ways!”

Jin suppressed his anger at this decidedly un-filial outburst. He knew he should be stern with the boy, but he’d never been able to bring himself to do it. His wife had always been the disciplinarian, Jin the trusted confidante.

“Very well,” Jin responded patiently. “What is it you wish to do with your life, my son?”

Wei swallowed hard. He’d resolved to tell his father the truth for months now, and this was his best opportunity. Even so, he hesitated—not because he feared his father’s wrath, but because he loved him and knew his next words would disappoint the man he’d looked up to for all his life.

“When my schooling is done,” Wei said quietly, “I want to… I want to join the army. I want to become a soldier.”

Jin could not help himself. His lips parted in a grimace and he drew breath in sharply and loudly over his teeth.

“A soldier?” Jin said, then shook his head. “No. You cannot.”

“Father, please…”

“I forbid it!” Jin snapped, raising his voice with his son for the first time in his life.

Normally Wei would have backed down, but now that the subject was broached, he knew he could not do so. He had to see it through.

“Don’t you understand, father?” he said. “I don’t just want to gain honour for our family. I want to attain glory!”

Jin shook his head and laughed bitterly. “You poor young fool. Glory against whom? Rome is at peace!”

Wei crossed his arms and gazed steadily back into his father’s eyes. “For now. It won’t last. England needs our help.”

“If they needed our help, they would have asked for it.”

“Necessity will overcome pride. It always does,” Wei replied.

“Will it now?” Jin asked. “You’ve talked to Queen Elizabeth herself, have you?” He didn’t like mocking his son, but he couldn’t help himself. The boy was talking nonsense.

Wei shrugged. “I have paid enough attention in history class to know that peace and war follow one another, inevitably, like the seasons.”

Jin shook his head. “Ah, to be young and filled with the illusion that one knows everything!” he said with a smile. He leaned back in his chair and forced himself to relax. “You may go now, Wei. We will discuss your future plans some other time. You are young. I know a soldier’s life seems adventurous and attractive. I toyed with the notion myself when I was your age. But…” Jin sighed. “At least promise me you will consider… alternatives.”

“Father, I…” Wei was about to become argumentative again, but a pained, pleading expression had appeared on his father’s face, and he could not summon the anger needed to make his point. “Yes, father,” he said quietly.

Bill Odie
Nov 04, 2007, 02:23 PM
WooHoo! :rotfl:
You almost had me feeling sorry for Li Sheng, even though I only met him 2 chapters ago.

jrh3000
Nov 04, 2007, 03:00 PM
great update you never fail to impress sisiutil

Ultimate_Waffle
Nov 04, 2007, 03:01 PM
When this story is finished, are you going to make a new one with Beyond the Sword?

Sisiutil
Nov 04, 2007, 09:31 PM
When this story is finished, are you going to make a new one with Beyond the Sword?
I'm afraid not. Both my wife and I write and have been posting our stuff on-line for some time. We're now telling each other it's high time we tried to get paid for doing all this work. So my future writing efforts will be going into what I hope will be publication-worth fiction.

I'll finish Princes first though, don't worry.

rabidveggie
Nov 04, 2007, 09:33 PM
Woo! Thanks a lot keep up the awesome work.

FourthThunder
Nov 04, 2007, 10:13 PM
Woh Woh Woh! I can't read this fast! Please, slow down on the updates so I can get my bearings!

e350tb
Nov 04, 2007, 10:57 PM
Good luck, gott speed in updates, and Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Zhuge_Liang
Nov 05, 2007, 12:39 PM
Wow! Another UPDATE!!!!!!

Abegweit
Nov 05, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm afraid not. Both my wife and I write and have been posting our stuff on-line for some time. We're now telling each other it's high time we tried to get paid for doing all this work. So my future writing efforts will be going into what I hope will be publication-worth fiction. Hi. I'm a long-time lurker and a huge fan of both Princes and the ALCs. So many other people have expressed their appreciation for what you do that there's little I can add and less point in doing so. Just one question. Do you have a link to her stuff? If it's half as good as yours, I'd love to read it :)

Civfan333
Nov 05, 2007, 12:53 PM
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two updates in a row, pretty much!:D :D :D Great story as usual.

m4gill4
Nov 05, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'm afraid not. Both my wife and I write and have been posting our stuff on-line for some time. We're now telling each other it's high time we tried to get paid for doing all this work. So my future writing efforts will be going into what I hope will be publication-worth fiction.

If you ever do get published, you should try to work in a subtle CfC reference... an easter egg if you will.

Sisiutil
Nov 05, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi. I'm a long-time lurker and a huge fan of both Princes and the ALCs. So many other people have expressed their appreciation for what you do that there's little I can add and less point in doing so. Just one question. Do you have a link to her stuff? If it's half as good as yours, I'd love to read it :)
She's actually a better writer than me, in my considered opinion. I do find I'm predictable at times, which has been commented upon here; she's anything but. However, her stuff is very, very different from mine and, well, all I'll say is that it's not for the squeamish (she writes horror, among other things). PM me and I'll see what I can do.
If you ever do get published, you should try to work in a subtle CfC reference... an easter egg if you will.
I'll do what I can. It depends on the story. I'll at least try to have a character named "Sid" at some point... ;)

DMOC
Nov 06, 2007, 09:43 AM
Fantastic story so far now, and it's easy to see why this is the most viewed thread on the stories forum.

I have one question, though. How do you get extremely close up to units in the game? I zoom in as much as I can but I cannot get as close as you do in here, especially on the first few chapters where there was a lot of zooming in.

Zhuge_Liang
Nov 06, 2007, 10:36 AM
Maybe Adobe?

Sisiutil
Nov 06, 2007, 11:21 AM
Fantastic story so far now, and it's easy to see why this is the most viewed thread on the stories forum.

I have one question, though. How do you get extremely close up to units in the game? I zoom in as much as I can but I cannot get as close as you do in here, especially on the first few chapters where there was a lot of zooming in.
You have to activate the "flying camera". You should be able to find the instructions to do so somewhere on the site.

KonisForce
Nov 06, 2007, 11:25 AM
There's an option in the civ ini file for CameraFlying. There've been a couple of threads on it that I found, but the easy way is change the value in the ini file to 1, then press CTRL+ALT+F when in the game. You can fly around like in a flight sim and get up close and personal.

It does make for some really dramatic shots, too. And great story, of course! Keep it up. The historical idea of Roman discipline + firearms = bad news for everyone on the other side.

EDIT: Dang, beat me to it. But there's the quick instructions. More in-depth instructions here (http://http://civilization4.filefront.com/news/CIV4_Flying_Camera_Mode;25125)

The Menace
Nov 07, 2007, 06:14 PM
Another update!
Brilliant!

Premier Valle
Nov 07, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah!, thanks Sis!... but....
I want more, I need more!

EDIT:
|| Yes Bill, it is a Joke, take it easy man.
vv

Bill Odie
Nov 08, 2007, 02:08 AM
*error****

rabidveggie
Nov 08, 2007, 04:58 PM
Take it easy dude, it looks like it was phrased as a joke, not a serious comment.

pikesfan
Nov 08, 2007, 07:38 PM
It makes me wonder whay'll become of this forum once this story's over. :scared:

They'll turn to snorting things up their nose :p :D

tthf
Nov 08, 2007, 10:01 PM
Patience, patience. Be thankful for the 2 latest updates in quick succession. :)

edit: been following this since early april (decided to register after discovering this great AAR) so waiting for the next update is not a problem...

Sjakelen
Nov 09, 2007, 08:02 AM
Canadians have an inherent inferiority complex; it comes from living next door to a superpower. Retaining British spellings are one of the many small, somewhat pathetic little things we do that we think will somehow set us apart from Yanks.

No direct relation to the story, but when I saw this little statement I had to say that not all of us have an inferiority complex because of America, but instead like to make fun of it for their assuming everyone except them should have an inferiority complex. ((DISCLAIMER: No offence towards Americans is intended in this upcoming statement!)) As stated on 22 Minutes, 'America has become the guy at the party who lists a thousand ways he's great while spraying you with the shrapnel from the Hors d'oeuvres he's eating.' No offense to Americans themselves intended, just this attitude.
Sorry for getting so off-topic, I may need some sleep...

By the way, love the story, Sisiutil!

Sjakelen
Nov 09, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yes, Vancouver. I find it's a good idea to be a little vague on the big bad Internet. ;)

Wow, how do you afford living there on a teacher's salary? My family had to move to rural Manitoba (Augh!) because we started to go into debt, but now I'm in Toronto.

Milarqui
Nov 09, 2007, 05:03 PM
Fabulous story! I've been reading it since I found it in the web, and I haven't stopped till the end! I just hope that you update the story soon! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ultimate_Waffle
Nov 09, 2007, 05:59 PM
I require updates for my sustenance... If I don't get the required sustenance I need from the updates, I must turn to souls for my sustenance... The point is, I will devour your soul if you don't update soon! :devil:

By the way Sjakelen, no offence taken, but not all Americans are like that you know :lol:. What you say has a lot of truth in it though...

Sjakelen
Nov 09, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I know it's not all of you, but I've dealt with many who could recite every state in the U.S. but didn't know where the CN Tower is :rolleyes:

Sisiutil
Nov 09, 2007, 07:59 PM
Wow, how do you afford living there on a teacher's salary? My family had to move to rural Manitoba (Augh!) because we started to go into debt, but now I'm in Toronto.

I'm not a teacher anymore--that's my secret. ;)

You live in Toronto? You have my sympathy.

Look for the next chapter to appear tomorrow, everyone.

BrianJ
Nov 10, 2007, 08:25 AM

Look for the next chapter to appear tomorrow, everyone.

I live in Ottawa.. I need sympathy too.. :mischief:

Cool, looking forward to the next chapter!

Linkman226
Nov 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
Please...NEED SUSTENANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

rabidveggie
Nov 10, 2007, 12:52 PM
I live in Kingston. Hella easier to navigate then Toronto thats for sure. Taxes are apparently fairly high due to mayor building a rink for the loser Frontenac's along with a bunch of expensive restoration projects.

Ultimate_Waffle
Nov 10, 2007, 06:03 PM
That's it, I'm devouring his soul... Nobody try to stop me!

Sisiutil
Nov 10, 2007, 08:03 PM

Part 3: The Games of Boys

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/sisiutil/Princes/Princes14_03.jpg

A tersely-worded communique arrived upon Jin’s desk a few days later. It was a message from Caesar himself. If nothing else, it served the purpose of helping Jin to prioritize his energies. “Improving the accuracy of the musket is paramount, more so than the loading issue, which has been significantly improved thanks to your father’s innovation of the paper cartridge,” Caesar had written. Jin marvelled at the way the message had been encouraging and subtly demanding at the same time, goading Jin by reminding him of his father’s accomplishments.

Despite his best efforts, Jin made little progress with his attempts to improve the musket. The weapon seemed to be as good as it could possibly get. Then one of his assistants showed him how recent breakthroughs in steel-making resulted in stronger alloys that could solve the breech-loading problem.

“That’s all well and good,” Jin had responded. “And we’ll pursue it. But the accuracy problem is our top concern, and we’ve hit a wall there.” His colleagues had to sadly agree.

His wife noticed the increased strain that wore upon her husband and, one day, insisted he come home early from the laboratory.

“Come spend some time with your family. You need it,” she said.

Jin had to reluctantly agree. His wife rarely insisted on anything, and he’d learned it was unwise to defy her when she did. When he got home from work, his wife had immediately shooed him outside.

“You’ll only be in the way of the girls and I,” she told him. “Spend some time with Wei. He misses you lately.”

Jin found Wei across the street from their home in a grassy park, tossing a curiously-shaped inflated leather ball back and forth with two of his friends. The ball was round in the middle, but had slightly conical ends. The lads smiled and waved at him as he watched their play with a growing smile. They were quite adept with the ball. His wife was right; watching his son demonstrating his physical prowess was always enjoyable and filled him with pride.

Shortly thereafter, a few more boys showed up, and Jin watched with interest as they began to discuss playing a game involving the ball. He politely declined their invitation to join in the game, citing his “old age”, which earned him some good-natured jeers and laughter.

He watched with interest as they divided themselves into two teams and used some spare blocks of wood lying at the side of the street to mark two “goals”. They then began to play, and Jin quickly understood the purpose of the game: each team was trying to carry the ball into the goal of the opposing team by running with the ball and tossing the ball to one another if they were impeded. The ball-carrier could be stopped by holding him or even knocking him down, but the he could then toss the ball to another boy. Sometimes the ball was intercepted or fumbled or simply wrenched away, at which point it changed hands. The game demanded skill and energy and was enjoyable to watch.

The game remained scoreless for several minutes; the teams seemed evenly matched. Then one of the boys on Wei’s team tossed the ball underhanded to Jin’s son. Wei grabbed the ball out of mid-air, then looked towards the opposing goal. One of his team-mates was running towards it. Wei called out the boy’s name and then, as the opposing team closed in on him, he drew his arm back, preparing to toss the ball overhand.

What happened next took Jin’s breath away.

The ball rose away from Wei’s hand and flew in a long, fast, straight line. Previously, the strangely-shaped ball had wobbled awkwardly when tossed. But Wei’s throw was a thing of beauty, arcing elegantly in a long arc, perfectly aimed towards where his team-mate was running. The ball seemed to float into the arms of Wei’s team-mate, and the boy easily carried it into the opposing goal. Wei’s side shouted; their opponents groaned, but several of them couldn’t help smiling at such a skilful play.

Once Wei’s team-mates had stopped congratulating him, he turned around and was surprised to see his father standing directly behind him. The older man’s eyes were wide with amazement. He reached out and gripped his son’s shoulders.

“How did you do that?” Jin demanded.

“Do what?” Wei asked, suddenly confused.

“The ball!” Jin exclaimed, still wide-eyed. “It flew so far… so straight! How?”

“Oh, that!” Wei said, a smug grin now appearing on his face. “You just flick your wrist when you throw,” the boy explained, demonstrating by gesturing with his hand. “It puts a spin on the ball, so it goes straight, even if you throw it long. It’s easy!”

“Easy for you, Li!” one of his friends said, grinning ruefully and punching Wei playfully in the shoulder. “Everything’s easy for him,” he said to Jin. “It’s incredibly annoying.”

“You’re just jealous,” Wei said, smiling, then turned back to his father. His smile faded. His father was staring into space, as if stunned. “Father? Are you all right?”

“You put a spin on the ball…” Jin said, his voice barely louder than a whisper. “A spin…”

Suddenly, Jin clapped his hands together, threw his head back and laughed. He laughed long and loud, laughed until tears were pouring down his face and he was doubled over and clutching his belly.

“Uh… father?” his son asked hesitantly, well aware of the puzzled looks his friends were directing at his father, who suddenly appeared to have taken leave of his senses. “Are you all right?”

Jin nodded, still unable to speak. “I’m fine. Better than ever!” he said, chuckling. He shook his head and smiled to express his disbelief. “Child’s play. Child’s play! Ha!” He suddenly reached out and hugged his son, making the teenager blush. “I love you, my boy. I love you!”

“Um, okay, I love you too…” Wei said, blushing and acutely aware of the surprised stares of his friends.

Jin pushed himself back from the awkward embrace, though the broad smile on his face showed no trace of embarrassment, only elation. He clapped his hands again, then raced back to his home.

“Wow, Wei…” one of his friends said when the older man had gone. “He’s, uh…”

“He’s a genius,” Wei said with a sigh and no trace of a smile. “You know what they can be like…”

Mightion
Nov 11, 2007, 01:08 AM
Cool! They play football in Rome! :)

Great update! (Yes, my first reply here... was waiting ages for an update along with everyone else. :) )

Thank you, sir! Might we have another!

Sisiutil
Nov 11, 2007, 01:42 AM
Cool! They play football in Rome! :)

I consider it an early form of rugby, myself. ;)

jrh3000
Nov 11, 2007, 01:48 AM
good for you, they will turn into a great nation by playing rugby :)

Mightion
Nov 11, 2007, 02:50 AM

I consider rugby a stepping stone to true football. That's why I watch the NFL on Sundays, not the NRL. :)

Milarqui
Nov 11, 2007, 03:04 AM
It's fantastic, Sisiutil!! I've loved to see how Jin understood the basic principle that makes a spinning ball (and bullet) go further away that and more accurately than normal balls and bullets!

For those who would like to know, this effect is called "Magnus effect", and it is the same European football players use to give a spin to the ball.

Niklas
Nov 11, 2007, 04:25 AM
It can't be football, they weren't using their feet. Not to mention the ball wasn't round. Rugby definitely, or that American variation of it. :p

Great update as always. You have a very good way of putting technology into perspective, making it something more than just a number of beakers that gives access to a certain unit/building/whathaveyou.

carl corey
Nov 11, 2007, 04:43 AM
There's no forward pass in rugby like the one described here. :D

Sisiutil
Nov 11, 2007, 01:15 PM
There's no forward pass in rugby like the one described here. :D
Yup. Hence, "an early form of rugby", a game which eventually got changed into American football, where one of the main differences from its progenitor is the forward pass. That and several pounds of protective gear, all worn by men from a nation that supposedly prides itself on its toughness and virility. :p

This is a parallel universe, after all. The fun was in making the game somewhat identifiable and leaving everyone to argue about what it was. :D

I was initially going to use real football (soccer in NA ;)), which is my favourite sport, but in that game a spin is used to curve the ball, resulting in accuracy, but of a very different kind. I needed a long, straight toss to inspire Jin, hence the forward spiral pass.

DMOC
Nov 11, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nice update once again, and a clever way of having Jin "learn" about spins. :goodjob:

tthf
Nov 11, 2007, 08:22 PM
Interesting method of introducing how rifling was discovered.

rabidveggie
Nov 11, 2007, 09:01 PM
I figured it was more like Rugby then football as well. There both close enough anyways.

Sjakelen
Nov 11, 2007, 11:50 PM

Hey, it's not actually that bad. I live in a relatively small apartment, and at least I'm not in a city where everyone is wearing raincoats and 2/3rds of the population is stoned almost all the time.

I live in Ottawa.. I need sympathy too..

Yeah, it must be terrible having Rick Mercer show up in your city all the time :rolleyes:

Once again, a great chapter to an even better story!

oynaz
Nov 12, 2007, 03:09 AM
Hey, it's not actually that bad. I live in a relatively small apartment, and at least I'm not in a city where everyone is wearing raincoats and 2/3rds of the population is stoned almost all the time.

Hey, apart from that, Copenhagen is quite nice.

Sjakelen
Nov 12, 2007, 03:54 AM
Heh, I was referring to Vancouver.

Sisiutil
Nov 12, 2007, 12:28 PM

We don't wear raincoats and rarely use umbrellas. Vancouver has rain machismo.

As for your other assertion... uh... sorry, dude, what were you saying? ;)

Sisiutil
Nov 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nice update once again, and a clever way of having Jin "learn" about spins. :goodjob:

Interesting method of introducing how rifling was discovered.
Thanks--I've always found the idea of intuitive leaps to be fascinating. Scientific progress isn't usually as dramatic as Archimedes's "Eureka!" moment (which is apocryphal anyway), but you still have to wonder how many of our scientific and engineering advancements came about. Concepts that seem obvious to us now once were anything but, so how did someone make the jump? I wanted to show one of those advancement events.

rabidveggie
Nov 12, 2007, 01:42 PM
I guessed you were Canadian Sisiutil. Although for your location you have Pacific North West, not many other countries located there.

Sjakelen
Nov 12, 2007, 09:15 PM

So hashish, is it?

A little clip from our friend Rick Mercer about Vancouver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3IIzpwEhk

Dicorion
Nov 13, 2007, 06:22 AM
Hi, I just want to say thanks for your really entertaining and "teachfull" story! ;)

I was only one time in Northern America and it was in Vancouver. And I must say it is wonderfull! It makes me feel better about spending a dozen hours in aeroplane for just 30 minutes staying infront of my poster. I fell in love with Vancouver and will sure come back for more :lol:

demokratickid
Nov 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
Wonderful update!!!!

I've been to Vancouver several times, and might I add a spectacular city...

DMOC
Nov 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
Wait, did the idea of spinning really come from someone watching a game of rugby/football?

Gooblah
Nov 13, 2007, 04:44 PM
I went north to Toronto last weekend to meet my uncle, aunt, and baby cousin (who never stops laughing, btw...such a happy camper!) who are moving there. Well, not Toronto. Mississauga. Big city-704,000 ppl or something. Anyways, security on the border is really tight, especially at North America's busiest border crossing (kudos to those who know what I'm talking about). Took us about a minute crossing into Canada and 2 hours crossing back into the states..

Sisiutil
Nov 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
Wait, did the idea of spinning really come from someone watching a game of rugby/football?
In my universe it did. :D

Seriously though, I have no idea, but I doubt it.

demokratickid
Nov 14, 2007, 02:39 PM
Gooblah-I went north to Toronto last weekend to meet my uncle, aunt, and baby cousin (who never stops laughing, btw...such a happy camper!) who are moving there. Well, not Toronto. Mississauga. Big city-704,000 ppl or something. Anyways, security on the border is really tight, especially at North America's busiest border crossing (kudos to those who know what I'm talking about). Took us about a minute crossing into Canada and 2 hours crossing back into the states..

I understand how you feel about the border crossing... Mississauga is a nice city, however! Went there last month to visit friends...

Sisiutil
Nov 14, 2007, 02:51 PM
I understand how you feel about the border crossing... Mississauga is a nice city, however! Went there last month to visit friends...

I lived in Mississauga for 2 years, down in the Port Credit area--close to the lake. Would have enjoyed it more if my landlord hadn't been such an a******.

demokratickid
Nov 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
Really? I've been to Port Credit! I went there on a sunday drive about three years ago! Sorta ironic, eh?

Civfan333
Nov 14, 2007, 03:15 PM
Great update as usual, Sisutil.;)

Great story. I like rugby better than football, myself;)

Premier Valle
Nov 14, 2007, 05:26 PM

In my universe it did. :D

Seriously though, I have no idea, but I doubt it.

As far as I know the "spinning" thing was meant initially for rockets, someone figured that the fuel comsuption of the rocket wasn't uniform, so the exhausts were made in a way that they provoqued the rocket to spin, so the fuel gets wasted uniformly.

Other than that, I have no idea.

oynaz
Nov 15, 2007, 02:46 AM
Took us about a minute crossing into Canada and 2 hours crossing back into the states..

Appearently, not even the firemen can cross the border to put out a fire.

Sjakelen
Nov 16, 2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, maybe instead of trying to defend yourselves with force, improving relations with countries that might pose a threat to you might be a good idea :/ (Not your fault, though, the man you didn't even elect likes to give backrubs to female Heads of State... Eat your heart out, Islamic fundamentalists!) That's one of the reasons Canada (or at least Paul Martin) didn't want missile defence, it would be wasted money, since... no-one's shooting as us -nervous smile-

Sisiutil
Nov 16, 2007, 01:15 AM
No offense, but... could you guys take this discussion to the off-topic forum? I'd prefer this thread be limited as much as possible to either story or discussion of it, not another internet message board political debate. (And yes I acknowledge that I, too, have posted OT in here.) I also don't want it turning into a flame war (which is usually inevitable).

Thanks! :goodjob:

BrianJ
Nov 16, 2007, 08:18 AM

I'm from Vancouver, born adn raised. Not living there now. :(

Coming back fora visit next week though! And gonna make sure you are still writiong! lol :p:mischief:

Milarqui
Nov 16, 2007, 02:38 PM
:lol: Do you have a Latin version of your name that you'd like me to use? Johnus Smithus or something like that? :lol:

I'm glad many of you are enjoying this installment so far, especially since it's taking a while to get going. In many ways I'm setting the stage for the main action that's yet to come.

I think that Johannes Ferrarius would be the Latin translation of John Smith. Smith, literally translated into Latin, is "faber ferrarius", but I think that Ferrarius has a better ring to it.

Anyway, I'd like to request my addition into the story (I may be the last in a large queue of requesters, but ;) ...). I'm Spanish, so being a Spaniard (please, GREAT SCIENTIST!!!) in your story would be nice :). If you plan to put a Spaniard to the front, don't doubt to call me!

BananaLee
Nov 16, 2007, 04:40 PM

Amen, my brother! Amen! :D

I consider rugby a stepping stone to true football. That's why I watch the NFL on Sundays, not the NRL. :)

Real men don't have to wear padding. And true football is what everyone else around the whole world plays - with a round yellow ball and with their feet. ;)

but in that game a spin is used to curve the ball, resulting in accuracy, but of a very different kind. I needed a long, straight toss to inspire Jin, hence the forward spiral pass.

Tell that to Wayne Barnes..

but in that game a spin is used to curve the ball, resulting in accuracy, but of a very different kind. I needed a long, straight toss to inspire Jin, hence the forward spiral pass.

Actually, all rugby passes involve spin. You throw it sideways - one hand providing thrust, the other spin.

-------

But back on topic, lovely updates :D

Fetch
Nov 20, 2007, 06:14 AM
No offense, but... could you guys take this discussion to the off-topic forum? I'd prefer this thread be limited as much as possible to either story or discussion of it, not another internet message board political debate. (And yes I acknowledge that I, too, have posted OT in here.) I also don't want it turning into a flame war (which is usually inevitable).

Thanks! :goodjob:

Sis- the best way to silence them is to give them another chapter. :mischief:

Civfan333
Nov 20, 2007, 12:53 PM
no, he's right, there's WAYYYYYYYYY to much off-topic thing here.

Sisiutil
Nov 21, 2007, 09:23 PM

Part 4: Weapons Check

“So how does this work?” Caesar asked as he cradled the weapon in his arms.

“Very much like a musket, but with a few key differences,” Jin explained excitedly. “First of all, pull back on this lever,” he said, pointing to a metal lever near the bottom of the barrel, next to the stock. Caesar did so. “That opens the breech, into which you can insert the cartridge. Pointed end forward.”

Caesar carefully inserted the metallic cartridge into the breach. The new cartridges were enclosed in a metal shell rather than paper, and had one conical end and one flat. Also unlike the paper cartridges, these new ones did not have to be opened before loading; they were entirely self-contained, gunpowder and projectile combined into one small, neat, deadly package.

“Slide the bolt back,” Jin instructed him. Caesar pushed the lever back until it closed with a click. “Now raise the weapon to your shoulder, take aim, and fire.”

Caesar stared down the sights of the weapon. “That target you’ve set up has got to be well over one hundred yards away,” he muttered.

“Two hundred yards, to be precise, Caesar,” Jin said, his voice even and confident. “I understand you’ve been practicing with a musket?”

“Since you were but a beam of light in your father’s eye,” the immortal leader of Rome responded.

“Then you should have no problem hitting that target with this weapon,” Jin assured him. When he saw Caesar was about to lick his index finger, Jin interjected. “No need to check the wind, Caesar. Not at this range.”

Caesar cocked an eyebrow at the engineer’s self-confident tone. He sighted the target, took aim, and squeezed the trigger. With a loud retort, his shot fired. The shell flew out of the breech and landed at his feet and he felt the familiar kick of the weapon into his shoulder. He lowered the barrel and stared at the distant target.

“You hit it, sir,” one of his sharp-eyed aides told him.

“I can see that,” Caesar said, barely hiding his surprise. He could fire a musket all day long at a two-hundred-yard distant target without ever striking it, let alone scoring a bull’s eye. But this new weapon had proved remarkably accurate, even on his first attempt. “What do you call it again, Jin?”

“A rifle, Caesar,” Jin said proudly.

All it had taken was the sight of his own son using a basic principle of physics to accurately throw a ball, and everything had become clear. The conservation of angular momentum meant that an object, such as a ball, or a bullet, rotating around a reference point would continue to rotate around that reference point unless acted upon by some external force. Thus, imparting a spin to a bullet gave it greater accuracy and range. It was an idea so obvious, so simple, that Jin still couldn’t help chuckling when he thought of how he’d missed it all these years.

Once he had the idea, the implementation had been obvious: carve grooves into the barrel of the musket, a process called “rifling”. Then engineer the bullet so that it gripped those grooves when the weapon was fired, thereby imparting a spin to the projectile. Inspired by this innovation, Jin’s team of military engineers had also developed the breech-loading mechanism and the new, simpler, and more aerodynamic cartridges. It had taken a few years to perfect everything, but after decades of little progress, the time seemed to fly by.

The sound of the rifle firing echoed across the field as Caesar took another shot. This one was a perfect bull’s eye.

“Excellent,” Caesar said as he lowered the rifle’s stock from his shoulder. He turned to one of his companions, an angular-featured man with youthful looks but thinning hair. “Septimius. How long will it take your firm to start mass-producing these rifles?”

The man pursed his lips and considered. “It isn’t just the rifling,” he said. “It’s the breech mechanism, and the new cartridges… we’ll have to completely retool our munitions factories. I’d say we can be ready to make these in, say, six months?”

“You have two, or I turn the contract over to your competitor,” Caesar said sharply. “Time is of the essence.”

Septimius inhaled deeply, his eyes widening, then nodded. “I’ll see to it myself, Caesar,” he said, then looked away, his mind already considering how to accomplish the task.

“Are we expecting to be attacked, Caesar?” Jin asked innocently.

Ceasar turned suddenly, his ice-blue eyes staring sharply at Jin in such a way that the military engineer had to suppress a shudder. Then a smile slowly appeared on those ancient, angular features, crinkling the corners of his eyes.

“It’s of paramount importance that Rome’s soldiers be as well equipped as possible as soon as possible,” he said in an assuring tone. “They must be prepared for… any eventuality. Don’t you agree, Li Jin?”

“Of course, Caesar,” Jin said with a respectful bow. As he rose, he saw that Caesar and his aides were already walking away, and he could feel his own guts churning.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i193/sisiutil/Princes/Princes14_04.jpg

xaka
Nov 21, 2007, 11:47 PM
Yay a new chapter (or rather a new part thereof). Thanks a lot.

It is very well written and interesting as usual. Just a question, where'd you learn all the "trivia" (around rifles for example) that you put in your stories ?

Miles Teg
Nov 22, 2007, 12:06 AM
It's not really trivia, just the basic theory behind the rifle. You can pick it up on Wikipedia for God's sake!

tthf
Nov 22, 2007, 02:55 AM
do i hear the beating of war drums in the near future?

reminds me of an old old song (can't remember the singer): i hear the sounds, of distant drums....

Uncle Istvan
Nov 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ah very interesting and ominous.
I suppose this update explains why there's not yet a Pregame thread for Ragnar?

Sisiutil
Nov 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yay a new chapter (or rather a new part thereof). Thanks a lot.

It is very well written and interesting as usual. Just a question, where'd you learn all the "trivia" (around rifles for example) that you put in your stories ?
As Miles Teg said, Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. Like any encyclopedia it's not to be used as a primary source for serious work, but for gathering a few basic facts for a work of fiction it's dandy.

The Menace
Nov 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
Who will the drums of war sound against, I wonder?

Bill Odie
Nov 22, 2007, 03:23 PM
Well It's got to be either against Greece or Mongolia, and there was a hint in part 2 of this chapter "England needs Romes help" and England is at war with Greece, so I'd guess Rome and England V Greece