View Full Version : Barbarians overpowered?

Titan_br
Nov 04, 2006, 03:41 PM
:blush:
My first game was very deception. Why?

I started with Egypt.
I grow quickly and safe. Around 7 citys, and then a mass barbarians started to attack. they destroyed Rome, Greece, before me die, I changed to French. But we french i could grow, they start to rush me over Spain and Germany.
Quiet deception, because Russia had a lot of lands to grow.
I saw Arabia die due to Barbarians. Persia didn't grow over greece for example , I dunno why.

I dunno why this was happen. I can't see all civ alives until medieval age.
:nuke:

PS: I talking about vanilla 1.61 / mod of RC142

SilverKnight
Nov 04, 2006, 05:19 PM
What difficulty was it? The barbs are MUCH harder on the softer civs on the easy level.

SilverKnight

Rhye
Nov 04, 2006, 06:06 PM
yeah i'd like to know the level.
Barbarians are well balanced in the intermediate one, but I need feedback on the other 2

Drogear
Nov 04, 2006, 11:34 PM
I posted an complaint earlier that the barbs (Emperor diff) are very overpowered in the extended 1.42 version of the mod. Played an earlier build (1.38 or somethin) of the original build (on emperor) and I got a feeling that the barbs overran to many AI civs there to.

I have little trouble with the barbs targeting med (well I can barly handel it actually) but the AI seems to be in much trouble.

In normal diff everything seems very balanced exept the fact that there is little challenge for a war expansionist human player.

Titan_br
Nov 05, 2006, 07:24 AM
This happened on Intermediate level.
But Emperor was impossible to survive.

Would be interesting if could be possible to expand Egypt over Africa, because indeed Greece own Egypt in south Mediterraneo, and Rome already got all infrasctruture because Egypt and Greece already did them to high level of development.

I really wanted to turn off Barbiarians or just put them not so overpowered.
:cry: How can i do that by myself?

PS:
On my games I see french be crushed by Spain or Germany in early years. I think AI is too much agressive for sure.

I don't see them expanding overseas.
:scan:

Drogear
Nov 05, 2006, 08:57 AM
Just played a game as Rome until earl 1100 cent on emperor. AI civs did not seem to get to badly hurt from the barbarians.

Out of topic: Culture boarders need to be tooned down, I like the idea that the expanded version got but not as drastic.

NitroJay
Nov 06, 2006, 02:59 PM
Monarch and Emperor's barbarians don't bother me too much. They will usually knock out Rome and/or Greece and almost ALWAYS Persia, but unless I'm playing REALLY badly, I never see them as overpowered.

I haven't played Viceroy in a while, but I remember that the AI loses to the barbarians MUCH more frequently there. I attributed this to the more agressive AI on higher difficulty levels. I don't think the AI defends itself all that well on the easier levels.

As for the current version (1.42?), I think the barbarians are fine. It was a real shock to play as Egypt and have the skirmishers attack my southern cities! In every other version, the only thing I've ever seen them do is march north to fortify cities in N. Africa. (Good job, Rhye)

Anyways, I don't know if the barbarians need anything more tweaked with them, but I've only seen the "barbarians conquer the world" scenario maybe 2 or 3 times. It doesn't happen often enough for me to complain.

Drogear
Nov 07, 2006, 03:06 AM
As a freqvent player of rome on emperor level I must say that I really like the way the barbarians are programed to appear in a slow but steady strem in the early years and in hugh bunch at the time of the historical fall of rome. (Same goes for china).

But the AI controlled civs should perhaps get some bonuses to handel the onslought?

NitroJay
Nov 07, 2006, 05:36 AM
I disagree. I think the AI SHOULD fall to barbarians more often than not. It annoys me when I see Rome building tanks... What I mean is, the barbs are there to recreate the fall of older civs. If I was playing the Romans, I'm pretty sure -I- would hold out. However, AI's Rome should fall when Rome fell. Same for Greece, Egypt, etc.

If you really want Rome to be around in the modern era (without playing as Rome), just conquer the Roman lands and wait for a revolution.

hamtastic
Nov 07, 2006, 01:29 PM
On the couple games I played on Monarch, I didn't see any civs wiped out by barbs. One of the games I was Japan and the other I was England, and everyone seemed to hold their own.

When I was Japan I took most of China's land and left China there as a buffer between me and the barbs. :lol:

Drogear
Nov 08, 2006, 03:03 AM
Ok very offtopic but could for e.x Rome be programed into transforming into Italy with the apropriate flags and such? That would remove the unhistorical aspect of Rome building tanks as posted before.

NitroJay
Nov 08, 2006, 05:33 AM
The civ name changing has been mentioned a bunch of times before on a few different threads, it's been deemed pretty much impossible... I mean, it happens, Rome, Greece, etc. sometimes survive the barbarians on Monarch and thrive into the modern era, but I don't think this should be the rule. So back on topic, I do not think the barbarians are overpowered. Yes, there are lots of them, but any halfway decent player can protect themselves against them. It is even easier if you know history and when and where the barbarians are going to come from... Keep the hardcore barbarians going, civs like Rome, Greece, Perisa are all destined to fall...

Titan_br
Nov 08, 2006, 06:56 AM
My point is:

1. I Agree Rome, Greece and others should have their power lose due to Barbarians, but they didn't disappear. I think it's not to allow them to expand too much because others civilization will come.
Without barbarians, I think it's easier to Egypt take all Africa.

Magma
Nov 13, 2006, 09:55 AM
The civ name changing has been mentioned a bunch of times before on a few different threads, it's been deemed pretty much impossible... I mean, it happens, Rome, Greece, etc. sometimes survive the barbarians on Monarch and thrive into the modern era, but I don't think this should be the rule. So back on topic, I do not think the barbarians are overpowered. Yes, there are lots of them, but any halfway decent player can protect themselves against them. It is even easier if you know history and when and where the barbarians are going to come from... Keep the hardcore barbarians going, civs like Rome, Greece, Perisa are all destined to fall...

Name chaging could be cool. Rome could respawn as the Papal States and Greece as Byzantine. Persia could maybe respawn as the Sasinids(spelling?) or something.

Empires rise and fall, thats how things goes.

Phallus
Nov 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
The Sassanids were Persians, but the idea has been discussed a lot and sadly it seems impossible.

Oh wait, NitroJay already said it. Sorry.