View Full Version : crosslink for religion ideas

Tom Veil
Nov 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm sure many of you know about this, but I just discovered it:

The Total Realism (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202) modpack makes a great deal of religious reforms, including many that we have been discussing for Rhye's, such as:
1. Eliminating Confucianism, to be replaced with Zoroastrianism
2. Making each religion unique, with benefits and handicaps
3. Among those handicaps, Judaism doesn't spread as rapidly

I know that it's not simple to "cut and paste" one mod into another when you have two very complex mods like TR and Rhye's, but I really like what TR did. I think it should be the standard that we refer to when debating how to modify the role of religion in Rhye's.

Stellan_87
Nov 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
Wasn't confusiaism very important to the Japanese society aswell as the Chinese community..even if its not so much of a religion as a teaching of values i think it should be kept.

kairob
Nov 13, 2006, 04:57 PM
I dont I think it would be like have the equivilant of "Platonic thought" as a religion...

thenooblet22
Nov 13, 2006, 06:00 PM
Yes, I am sick of the arguements over which religions should be included. Here's my thoughts:

Confucianism, though not a religion by nature, was a deep-seeded philosophy which helped unify the Chinese culture even under foreign rule. Confucian values and ideas also inspired and expanded the Chinese burreacracy. The Neo-Confucian emphasis on rank, obligation, deference, and traditional rituals reinforced class, age, and gender distinction in the Chinese society.

Buddhism, though believed to be nothing more than a branch of Hinduism, heavily influence India's neighbors, such as Indochina and the South East Indies. More importantly, though strongly resisted by the Neo-Confucians, several variants of Buddhism appealed to the masses of the Chinese and other Asian populations, establishing thousands of monastaries.

I deeply resent the addition of new religions, especially those insignifigant as Zoroastrianism, an unpopular religion that mainly resided with the Persian elite. What's next? Egyptian polytheism because it's cool? Let's keep the ones that actually had wordly impacts that are still seen today.

SilverKnight
Nov 13, 2006, 07:30 PM
Three words: Flying Spaghetti Monster. :lol:

SilverKnight

holy king
Nov 14, 2006, 06:21 AM
hail to the monster!!!

Tom Veil
Nov 14, 2006, 12:16 PM
Three words: Flying Spaghetti Monster. :lol:

SilverKnight
+2 happiness (from people who get the joke)
+2 unhappiness (doubled if your nation controls Kansas)
+25% science (from unique scientific developments)
-2 food (people too fearful to eat pasta; starve to death)