View Full Version : Newbie Concerns

CommandoBob
Nov 29, 2006, 12:49 AM
When I joined Team KISS in MTDGI in May/June/whenever, I never really felt like I was up-to-date on the history of KISS and the other teams. KISS had threads for Diplomacy with each of the other teams and threads for specific issues, and of course the turn log, but no one place that served as a concise timeline of events. So if you joined late it was up to you to get caught up on all the ancient history.

Let's do better than that, at least in the Pre-Game Phase.

Idea
Let's have a thread (for now, let's call it 'The PreGame Thread') that is designed to serve as a stand alone record of our events and decisions before the game starts. If we feel it works like we expect in the Pre-Game, we could start a new one for the Game itself. This thread would not be a place to capture the debate of an issue (that should happen in the threads). It would be a place to record the decisions of the team. (Government style, elected positions, elected leaders, civ selection, etc.)

The idea would be that a newcomer could visit this thread and very quickly see what we have done.

Updating
Since the PreGame Thread would have a specific purpose, we would want to be careful on how it was updated. As with all threads, while anyone could update the thread, not everyone should. As a general rule, I think that the person who begins a poll or discussion should be allowed to have reasonable time to post the results of the poll or discussion in the PreGame Thread.

Possible Format (but by no means the only format)
'CommandoBob started a poll (Poll Name as an embedded web link) on one day. On three day the polls results were (whatever they were)'.

So:
Good Idea?
Bad Idea?
Questions?
Comments?

vikingruler
Nov 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
I like the idea CB. It provides newcomers to the team a way to learn about what has already happened. However, this means people who post threads and polls need to be participative throughout the game, they need to be reliable enough to update the thread. Perhaps we have one or two people, people who are very committed to the MTDG, who run it and update it.

CommandoBob
Nov 29, 2006, 04:20 PM
I have no problem doing the updating during the PreGame or even the full game, if we decide to keep it.

Which is not saying 'Nobody else can do this.'

It is saying, 'I am willing to do this and others can too.'

aluka
Nov 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
I think it's a good idea. Obviously we only need to put major decisions and events in there (perhaps a few screenshots illustrating what has occured) so that the newcomer gets a general idea of what occured up to the point they arrived. It would also serve nicely as an archive of what happened in the game.

aluka
Nov 30, 2006, 06:09 AM
Good work on the other thread CommandoBob. Should be very helpful for new-comers.

vikingruler
Nov 30, 2006, 04:00 PM
CommandoBob, i have no problem with you doing it for the pre-game, though we should get at least two people to do it for the game itself.

Kuningas
Nov 30, 2006, 04:23 PM
Sticky that thread

CommandoBob
Dec 04, 2006, 09:18 PM
CommandoBob, i have no problem with you doing it for the pre-game, though we should get at least two people to do it for the game itself.

That may not be necessary.

I don't how the other teams did things but in KISS we had a thread that was a copy of the turn log. IIRC, (and I may not), we had a thread that was the turn log and a second thread where the turn player also posted the turn log and others posted on the turn. So, one thread for the nitty-gritty details of the turn and one to discuss the turn.

I sorta saw the same thing here. That is, a thread for the nitty-gritty and a thread to discuss the nitty-gritty. However, we would have a third thread that dealt with big issues. I'm thinking of things like when we change government styles (despotism to ?), what tech we begin to research, when we meet other civs, when we enter into war, when we make agreements, and things like that. Not a blow-by-blow description of what we are doing, just the high points.

For example:

Turn 0 4000 BC

Found our capital city of 'Capital City' next to a river and 3BGs.
Begin to learn Warrior Code.

Turn 10 3500 BC or so

Found our second city, 'Second City', 2NE of Capital City.

Turn 15 3200 BC or so

Begin to learn Pottery.

Turn 20 3000 BC or so

Hold elections; new officers are....

Turn 50 2500 BC or so

We begin to build a palace in Second City as a prebuild to the Great Library.

Turn 100 1000 BC or so

Meet Team GONG.
Declare War on Team GONG.

Turn 120 600 BC or so

Lost Second City to Team GONG.
Capture 'Show' and 'Stooge City' from Team GONG.

The idea being that this is just a quick summation of what we have done, like the PreGame thread. We can always link to discussions and such.

We could include screen shots of our new cities on the map or anything else in-game that would help us tell our story to ourselves and any newcomers.

vikingruler
Dec 05, 2006, 01:45 PM
That may not be necessary.

I don't how the other teams did things but in KISS we had a thread that was a copy of the turn log. IIRC, (and I may not), we had a thread that was the turn log and a second thread where the turn player also posted the turn log and others posted on the turn. So, one thread for the nitty-gritty details of the turn and one to discuss the turn.

The idea being that this is just a quick summation of what we have done, like the PreGame thread. We can always link to discussions and such.

We could include screen shots of our new cities on the map or anything else in-game that would help us tell our story to ourselves and any newcomers.

I see what you mean. I just meant we have 2 or more people appointed to update the summary thread. This way the responsibility is not on just one person. Of course we could simply do it that anyone is allowed to update it, as long as someone didn't already.