thanks, it said art/paratrooper/ something along those lines

Emperor C
Apr 13, 2003, 07:55 PM
here's the exact message:

ART\Units\Power Armor..\Paratrooper\Paratrooperattack.amb

it said file not found

Isak
Apr 14, 2003, 03:32 AM
The ParatrooperAttack.amb file should be located in the Civ3 installation folder - Civilization III\Art\Units\Paratrooper\ - it is there in my install :confused:

Check the folder and see if you have accidentally deleted the file from the Paratrooper folder.

...or even easier - try a reinstall. If one file is missing, chances are there could be more files missing.

Emperor C
Apr 14, 2003, 12:16 PM
there's a paratrooperattack.flc file and a paratrooperattack.wav file, no amb file. i'll try a reinstall

HiroHito
Apr 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
hey guys I wanna know something; how to irrigate your lands ? Usually you need a supply of fresh water, and I know that most Worker's action need a preq tech in DYP mod, but I do have farming and still nothing ?? I'm at 120 AD btw, so even if its the way its supposed to work, its not very realistic...

Great mod anyway thanks Superman !

Kal-el
Apr 18, 2003, 12:17 AM
Glad you like the mod so far. For irrigation you need crop rotation. This represents the dramatic increase in food production with the greater implementation of iron farming tools and the use of rotated fields reducing the depletion of the soil.

HiroHito
Apr 18, 2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks Mr Super Hero !

I played for maybe 5 hours straight and so far I'm hooked again, your mod changed so many things and thats great , imho Sid should pay you royalities
:king:

connor
Apr 19, 2003, 12:15 AM
Any idea yet on when the new version will be out?:D
------------------------------------------------------
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Spearthrower
Apr 20, 2003, 01:04 PM
Is there a version for the European PTW 1.14 patch? I downloaded your most up to date one but my workers cant build mines even after engineering! Is one of the older patches better for it or do you have any plans to release one for European players?

Looks great - I'd much rather play it that plain civ3! :)

RobO
Apr 20, 2003, 02:20 PM
Mines should come with Engineering. But you can't mine grassland. perhaps that's your problem?
You should be using 1.04x with PtW 1.14 - but think the bix says 1.03x by mistake.

This thing beats plain civ3 like nothing else. There's no turning back :-)

Spearthrower
Apr 20, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RobO
Mines should come with Engineering. But you can't mine grassland. perhaps that's your problem?
You should be using 1.04x with PtW 1.14 - but think the bix says 1.03x by mistake.

This thing beats plain civ3 like nothing else. There's no turning back :-)

:wallbash: oops!

I just decided to read through the pile of posts here to find my answer, took 2 hours only to find you've given me the answer!! :D *note to self* You cant mine grasslands!

So it's 1.04 then? I'll patch down to it cheers! It has been working with 1.05 but I've seen one bug - might be due to the wrong patch, but just in case:

At the beginning of the game my science advisor suggested that due to my knowledge of robots I might wish to research lasers or some other high level tech. Not a big issue but funny when you are worrying about farming or the wheel! :crazyeye:

Cheers RobO, I agree, I like all the new features, well done all of you! :goodjob:

RobO
Apr 21, 2003, 02:29 AM
1.05x is an update for the 1.21 patch for PtW. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, Isak.

Regarding those robots :D
Isak recently completed an update of the tech blurbs. It will be in the next version. Not a small job as there are quite a few new techs.

Isak
Apr 21, 2003, 03:20 AM
1.05x was built using PtW 1.21f, so we can only guarantee that it will work with that, but I know several users have installed it even though they only us 1.14f, and don't seem to have any problems yet. So, It may be worth a shot.

In any case, there shouldn't be long before the localized versions of 1.21f are released now, according to the chat with Firaxis last friday. Let's hope.. :)

Warlord 101
Apr 21, 2003, 04:45 PM
I use the UK 1.01 version of Play the World (Patches just cause the game to not find the disk) and I use Patch 1.05 PTW of DyP and I have only very minor errors (Such as Tech Blurbs apperaing inncorrectly or not at all, Cavalry is un-linked to Cossacks, the City View is inccorect but this is of no problem).

As I said, some entries in the Civolopedia do not appear. I originally wondered what a Stockade was (I now know it is a Wall provided by the Great Wall) as there is no entry for it. Some structures require Natives, a now none existent resource to my knowledge. When I clicked on the link to Cavalry from Cossack, I found that it came up with Invalid Entry, though Cavalry still has an entry. I can build some structures without the given resource, such as Temple. It requires Incense yet sometimes I can build it without it.

However, these are not Errors that can pose problems for the enjoyment value of the game, and this is my Favourite Civillizations 3 Mod. I look forward to the next patch.

Turner
Apr 22, 2003, 12:49 AM
Kal-El, RobO, Isak -

First off, let me start by saying awesome mod! DyP has saved me from Civ3 boredom (Civ3 is Boring (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48228) and I actually had fun with Civ3 today! (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50868)), but I was curious to know if you have some kind of compendium or listing of new techs, units and gov'ts? The gov'ts is really throwing me. I'm doing okay now, and seem to be outpacing the AI on a small/regent/4 civ/pangea map, but it was a bit confusing at first.

So is there anything that has a brief rundown of what is new and different in DyP?

Thanks again for a great mod. I've spent a lot of time tweaking my own stuff, and that's nothing compared to what y'all have done with it. . . my hat's off to you.

RobO
Apr 22, 2003, 05:18 AM
Hi Turner_727, and welcome to the club :D

The civilopedia is being worked upon (and has been for quite a while), but there s a spreadsheet. Get it at the DyP webiste (go to Add-ons).

Hope this helps.

Turner
Apr 22, 2003, 05:22 AM
Great! Thanks much, RobO.

Turner
Apr 23, 2003, 12:53 AM
Another question: I've noticed that you can't load APC's into armies. . . is this intentional? I was looking forward to a four-APC army attack on Paris today, only to find out I couldn't do it. Sure, a four tank army attack helped me get over it. . .

Lord_all_Mighty
Apr 23, 2003, 07:08 PM
Kal-el, I have a suggestion, why not simply allow irrigation after farming and once you research crop rotation it doubles the effect of irrigation, i believe mining should work in the same way with engineering(Or whatever tech it is) doubling the effect of a mine.

Just my thoughts

Kal-el
Apr 23, 2003, 07:19 PM
that would be great if it were possible, but that's not how the editor works.

Lord_all_Mighty
Apr 23, 2003, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I could have sworn I saw an option for that in the edirot but....no. Anyway I have a quick question, is there a mod you have somewhere that alters the city overview graphics and fixes some errors in the graphics for the new improvements you have added in this pack

Lord_all_Mighty
Apr 23, 2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry, I could have sworn I saw an option for that in the edirot but....no. Anyway I have a quick question, is there a mod you have somewhere that alters the city overview graphics and fixes some errors in the graphics for the new improvements you have added in this pack?

Lord_all_Mighty
Sorry, I could have sworn I saw an option for that in the edirot but....no. Anyway I have a quick question, is there a mod you have somewhere that alters the city overview graphics and fixes some errors in the graphics for the new improvements you have added in this pack?

Lord_all_Mighty

Lord_all_Mighty

hbdragon88
Apr 23, 2003, 10:08 PM
5 posts! :eek:

Kal-el
Apr 23, 2003, 11:56 PM
well, that's one way to bump up the number of posts on the thread.

Nope, we don't have a mod that fixes the City Birdseye View.

Turner
Apr 27, 2003, 04:25 PM
Don't know if it's a bug or not, but when I try to Auto-Bombard with Gunships, my game locks up on me.

Small/Standard(Can't remember which) 4civs, Regent. I've got two games attached to the zip file here, from two different turns. Can someone look into this, or tell me what's going on? It's an 850Mhz Athalon, XPPro, 256mb RAM.

Thanks in Advance.

Filesize is 525k

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/turner_727_Saves.zip

Isak
Apr 27, 2003, 04:30 PM
Let me know which version of DyP and Civ3/PtW you're running, and I'll take a look at it a.s.a.p. :)

Turner
Apr 27, 2003, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure which version. . .how do I tell? I did d/l it from your server within the last two months. I think it's 1.04, as I have the file Civ3PTW104f_dyp.exe in my d/l directory.

Version of PTW is 1.21.

Edit: No rush, unless you're curious. I finished the game, and went ahead and d/l'd the full version, bringing me up to 1.05. Thanks for checking it out, tho.

Bobisback
Apr 28, 2003, 05:01 PM
Can I use some of the building Icons from your mod. I will give the DyP team the credit, eventhough you guys got them out of Sim City 3000.;)

Kal-el
Apr 28, 2003, 05:08 PM
of course you can, and no need to give credit to us for the ones that we got from Sim City. :D

Bobisback
Apr 28, 2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Kal-el
of course you can, and no need to give credit to us for the ones that we got from Sim City. :D

Thanks just making sure.:)

Kal-el
Apr 28, 2003, 05:38 PM
appreciated. Now of course if you use any of the wonders, resources or tech icons I made, I would appreciate a little love. :)

Lord_all_Mighty
Apr 28, 2003, 11:18 PM
Is the game still under construction or are you finished. Just Wondering when to expect the next updated version. Sorry about the five posts, my computers a bit slow and I couldn't tell if it had sent the message or not.

Kal-el
Apr 28, 2003, 11:19 PM
we are close to the next and greatest release. we're about to give it to the testers and then hopefully a full release within a week or two.

Turner
Apr 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
If you need another tester, I'd be willing to help out. You can PM me or email me. . .

pdescobar
Apr 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
we are close to the next and greatest release. we're about to give it to the testers
Excellent. That should keep my "Never able to actually finish a DyP game" streak alive ;) and then hopefully a full release within a week or two. Uh-oh. A time estimate. Isn't that the Kiss of Death? :p

Edit: I PMed the "How to become a tester" link to Turner_727

MaXXXXXuM
Apr 29, 2003, 02:28 AM
Yo guys, I just loaded this mod up today and played it for a bit, seems to have alot of potential. I had a really hard time playing though, I dont know any of the rules... Is there a detailed FAQ somewhere i could look at?

Turner
Apr 29, 2003, 02:59 AM
Yes, it's very overwhelming. There is an Excel spreadsheet out there that is useful. Not really a FAQ, but it does tell you what all the dependancies are, units, wonders, governments, etc. Pretty useful.

Check you're PM, I'll send you a link for it.

- OT: W00t! 1000th post [dance] :beer:

Isak
Apr 29, 2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by pdescobar

Uh-oh. A time estimate. Isn't that the Kiss of Death? :p
If it was, I'd be pushing up the daisies now :D

Kal-el
Apr 29, 2003, 09:29 AM
Uh-oh. A time estimate. Isn't that the Kiss of Death? :p

I figure Isak is always throwing out estimates, this time it was my turn to get everybody's hopes up. :D

Lord_all_Mighty
Apr 29, 2003, 02:11 PM
Could you offer us a little preview?

RobO
Apr 30, 2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Lord_all_Mighty
Could you offer us a little preview?
There is a spreadsheet available in our DyP Changelog forum at CDG. Anything else wouldn't qualify as "little" :D

connor
May 01, 2003, 10:25 AM
I love all the new units, I cannot wait to start playing this. I like each civ with its own unique units. In future versions will you all be adding anything like naval or air flavor units? Thanks for all the hardwork, I know I would not be playing near as much civ were it not for Dyp. All your work and efforts are greatly appreciated by many.
---------------------------------------------
"You've got to stand for something, or you will fall for anything."

hbdragon88
May 01, 2003, 05:45 PM
YAAY! I got cable!

I just realized that I could finally download this 28MB scenario.

Kal-el
May 01, 2003, 05:47 PM
Update:
The latest beta build has been released to the testers.

Lord_all_Mighty
May 01, 2003, 08:53 PM
Will it be here during the weekend?

Caddy_NZ
May 01, 2003, 09:38 PM
hey i just got tha mod looks great cept for one thing that has me a lil confused(dont worry not all that hard to do) i cant seem to get a city above size 2 even if both my citizens r working tiles that produce 2 food oce i hit 2 citizens bang zero growth wats up with this?

Kal-el
May 01, 2003, 10:01 PM
L_a_M, it is available to the testers now. I can't promise it being released to the general public by the weekend. It all depends on what the testers come up with.

Kal-el
May 01, 2003, 10:14 PM
Caddy_NZ,

the problem you are running into is that Citizens each eat 3 food now rather than 2. Once you get out of Chiefdom you will get more food. It helps to settle your early cities near bonus food resources if you can.

Turner
May 01, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Caddy_NZ
hey i just got tha mod looks great cept for one thing that has me a lil confused(dont worry not all that hard to do) i cant seem to get a city above size 2 even if both my citizens r working tiles that produce 2 food oce i hit 2 citizens bang zero growth wats up with this?

Caddy_NZ,

the problem you are running into is that Citizens each eat 3 food now rather than 2. Once you get out of Chiefdom you will get more food. It helps to settle your early cities near bonus food resources if you can.

I generally bee-line for Dynasticism(sp?), the advance that gives you Despotism. It's about ten techs deep in the research path, so I spend my time getting there popping out a settler and a warrior/spearman. It also helps if you can pop a settler down near a flood plains, this really helps with pumping out settlers. I research the wheel first, so I can get my worker building roads, and that helps with the research as well. I don't really have a standard build yet, because each situation is different.

Takes some getting used to, DyP does. But I think it makes Civ a bit more fun.

Kal-el
May 01, 2003, 11:07 PM
Farming is a good tech to go for if you don't start with it. Farming gives you wheat and a few other food resources.

RobO
May 02, 2003, 01:41 AM
Turner, in the newest build you don't get a worker at start. It will be interesting to see how that works. I also habitually go the Teh Wheel first. That may have to change.

Turner
May 02, 2003, 01:44 AM
I still go for the Wheel first. Not sure if I like not getting a worker, as I was using that to scout, and then head them back to the city once I got close to The wheel.

I now have to spend time building a worker, and that takes away from a Clan, slowing the expansion down. I really noticed that today. I had a game in 1.05x that I was playing, and had made the map for. I imported the map to the 1.10 build, and the progress was much slower. I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. I will admit, the warrior is nice. It helps getting that first unit so I can put him in MP mode right away. That's helped quite a bit. So I guess it balances out, as I spend a bit less time fighting Civil Disorder, and more time building.

Grey Fox
May 02, 2003, 06:19 AM
@Caddy_NZ: A settler only requires 1 citizen now. So you don't need the city to grow beyond 2 to expand.

Turner
May 02, 2003, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. Makes early expanion a little easier.

kaslks75
May 02, 2003, 06:53 AM
I loaded and experimented with DYP for the first time yesterday. I am playing the PTW version (single file) patched to v1.05. I started on chieftan level to get familiar with it. I am playing the Persians and start with a tribe and a worker. Am I missing something or is the worker basically useless until I can build roads? I have been using him as a scout!

Turner
May 02, 2003, 06:59 AM
Yup, that's what I do. See my post a few up from this one. You need the Wheel to build roads. Irrigation comes with Crop Rotation, and mining comes with a medieval tech, I think mining.

kaslks75
May 02, 2003, 07:08 AM
Thanx Turner - I guess I'm not crazy after all :crazyeye:

I will say though that I spent most of my 'first time' with DYP looking at the 'Pedia and .pdf files and spreadsheet. I only built 2 cities. My first impression is that this is what Civ3 should have looked more like from the git-go! 'Great-job' to the creator(s) of this mod!!!!!!!! :)

RobO
May 02, 2003, 07:18 AM
Hi kaslks 75 (another one of these sigs that choke my keyboard :p) and welcome :D

You're right about that worker. Commercial civs can use him right from the start, though. And some people simply add him to the starting city. "Mining" comes with Engineering (start middle age).

In the PtW version currently under test you get a defensive unit instead of the worker at start, and the settler units have become more expensive. Also, "Mining" has been moved to Construction and Deforestration to Dynasticism (to prevent the AI from chopping down all the trees it can find at start).

connor
May 02, 2003, 01:14 PM
How would one add in all the units that zulu has put together, the 1,000 units pcx file, and incorporate that into DyP without messing it up? I have not had much luck with adding units, but would love to add additional units to DyP for more flavor, the more units the better. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------
You've got to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Lord_all_Mighty
May 02, 2003, 01:39 PM
That's why I always choose a commercial Civ

Isak
May 02, 2003, 01:40 PM
connor:

You can't, I'm afraid. You either need to change the Icon numbers in the BIX file, or rearrange Zulu's units so they come in the same order as the order in the DYP units_32.pcx.

Kal-el
May 02, 2003, 02:03 PM
At last count DyP had 240+units. Not a thousand I know, but some of those 1000 are fantasy, sci-fi, dinosaurs, or duplicates.

connor
May 02, 2003, 02:04 PM
I wondered if that might be the case. No problem, thanks, and I really appreciate the effort you guys put into this, talk about a labour of love.
------------------------------------------------
"You've got to stand for something, or you will fall for anything."

pdescobar
May 02, 2003, 04:20 PM
DyP probably would have 1000 if we unit makers were more diligent about fulfilling Kal-el's unit requests ;)

Kal-el
May 02, 2003, 04:46 PM
:D

cromagnon
May 04, 2003, 12:18 AM
Sorry if this has been asked multiple times:

Are the 25% shield bonus of the Mill and the Windmill cumulative?

RobO
May 04, 2003, 01:38 AM
cromagon, they both apply, but to the same base value. So yes, they accumulate to 50%, but not in a multiplicative manner.

Caddy_NZ
May 04, 2003, 02:40 AM
hey guys thx for tha info tha other day just as a matter of interst wat kind of strategies have people developed for dyp and wat map setting do u like to start tha game with

pdescobar
May 04, 2003, 02:49 AM
Caddy, there's a very old strategy thread somewhere here at CFC and a strategy forum at the other site. (You can get there through the DyP link in my sig.) Personally, I normally use a large size continents map with as many civs as I can cram into it although I'm testing the newest version with a more standard setting. I've been randomizing my terrain selections recently as well.

Also, I just wanted to say....

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/pdescobar_temp_100Kviews.gif

...Happy 100K! [party]

slc193
May 05, 2003, 12:14 AM
I just got PTW and I havent downloaded the graphics for DyP yet. But I cant wait to get on the campus LAN and download it all tomorrow. I opened it just to look at descriptions and stuff and, OH MY GOD! Kudos to you for developing this. I cant wait to play it. This is what Civ3 should have been.

I do have a question though. Something that I have missed from civ2 is trading food between cities. Is that available in this mod? Or does anyone have any ideas on how that might be able to be accomplished? What I'd like to do is be able to go into a city and say "OK, ship this much food to this city, and this much to this city." Something like that. Maybe even be able to sell/trade it w/ other civs. Maybe gain that ability in conjunction w/ a certain scientific advance to represent refigeration. Let's face it NYC doesnt survive on food grown around it alone.

Any response or thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. TIA.

RobO
May 05, 2003, 12:35 AM
Trading food would be really cool. Another feature that somehow didn't make it into Civ3.

No, it can't be done AFAIK. Not even in DyP :D

cromagnon
May 05, 2003, 08:05 AM
Are the National Gallery (maybe it was Archives) and the Brokerage firm supposed to be only 10 shields? I found it odd when I built them in only one turn.

RobO
May 05, 2003, 08:49 AM
Yes they are, except it is National Historical Society, not Gallery. They are "gifts" provided by National History Museum and Wall Street, designed to extend the effect of these Small Wonders in a way that the editor does not allow (100% increase for a small wonder). The same goes for Natonal Library -> Archives.

Emperor C
May 06, 2003, 02:29 PM
ok, i reinstalled everything. i finally had a chance to play it and the same problem still occurs. i get this error message:

Art\Units\Power Armor\..\Paratrooper\ParatrooperAttack.amb

If u have an idea what it is, please help, I'm out of ideas.

Isak
May 06, 2003, 05:07 PM
@Emperor C:

I'm lost for ideas. :confused:

The ParatrooperAttack.amb file is part of the Vanilla Civ3 package (dead giveaway is the filedate of October 02, 2001) - if that file doesn't get installed by installing Civ3 (never mind PtW) then there can only be 2 reasons. One of them is a defective disc. :scan:

I assume you have the American versions of Civ3 and PtW, like I do, so this can't even be a localization error.

cromagnon
May 07, 2003, 02:22 PM
First of all, thanks to Kal-el and all you guys for your efforts and quick replies. :goodjob:

I was hoping to find out from you the reasoning behind the attack and defense values in comparable units through the renaissance and industrial ages. It seems to me (having played 1.5 games of DyP) that the defenders are almost always weak compared to the attackers (e.g. cuirassiers vs pikes - 6 vs 4). To me, this encourages warmongering (or at least deters from peaceful building), when you know that someone can easily come over and kick your butt and take your cities. It seemed to me that in regular Civ III that the A & D values were usually more closely matched.

Second point is about infantry (of all types, arquebusiers through modern): The attack values are usually equal to the defense values in DyP. This is in contrast to traditional military teachings that defense is almost always easier the offense. It seems more intuitive to me that infantry would have an easier time defending (higher defense value) than attacking. Yes, fortifying does mimic this to some extent, but 25% is not a huge bonus.

Any enlightening thoughts?

Kal-el
May 07, 2003, 02:35 PM
Funny you should mention this subject as I am actually in the process of reevaluating all the unit stats for that very reason. Things just seemed a bit uneven. Hopefully that will be remedied soon. Though not in the next build, unfortunately, as it is probably going to take at least a week for me to go through all of them.

I have no decent response other than to say I was testing out the ratings to see what would happen. Now we know they need some adjusting. :)

connor
May 07, 2003, 06:52 PM
So, does this mean the new build will be out real soon?:D

Kal-el
May 07, 2003, 08:21 PM
well, the next beta build is going to be released to the testers soon, and then when that has passed muster we will release the next version to the public.

NobleLeader
May 09, 2003, 07:43 AM
Sorry for the newbie FAQ, but where can I download the graphics of DyP ?

Tks & congrats.

RobO
May 09, 2003, 07:55 AM
Try the DyP website. Look at Kal-el's sig ;)

pdescobar
May 09, 2003, 05:30 PM
FYI for the team, DyP has once again come up in General Discussions with a small thread about tech pace (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52732)

widdowmaker
May 10, 2003, 01:36 AM
Oh god. I dont got time to read 130 pages. Just one quick question.

Upkeep. With all these new building you will be shelling out the gpt real quick. How do you make MORE Gpt? Have yo umodded the commerce made by tiles? Maybe add one commerce to everything. Heck i might even add two. (if i knew how to mod).

RobO
May 10, 2003, 02:45 AM
Hi widdowmaker :D

I'm pretty sure we did increase the amount of commerce the tiles produce, but it is so long ago that I don't remember the details.

In any case there are a number of new money- or trade increasing things to build.

It is definitely not the intention to make this thing unplayable ;) - but having it a tad difficult might be considered as a good thing. Try it and judge for yourself.

Yoda Power
May 10, 2003, 10:25 AM
I jus tried installing version 1.05 from the exe file, then i got this error
CRC failed in DyP\Text\Civilopedia.txt. I tried to download it again but still got the error.

pdescobar
May 10, 2003, 12:41 PM
widdowmaker, the increased maintenance is a challenge but it can be overcome. Like RobO says, there are several more commerce-increasing improvements similar to the bank. Additionally, because of rate caps on most governments you are almost forced into a higher tax rate earlier in the game so you wind up generating more income that way as well. And the increased number of luxury resources and happiness buildings means you may be able to operate with a lower luxury rate, also increasing commerce.

Also, with DyP you have to consider gov't choices much more carefully. In my current game, I will have to stay in Democracy (which is similar to unmodded Republic) because the most advanced representative govts (such as Federal Republic) will cost too much in unit support.

So, in summary, it's different, but it's pretty well balanced so you should be ok.

Isak
May 10, 2003, 12:56 PM
@Yoda Power:

I just downloaded it from the DyP site, and can unpack it without errors, and even open the Civilopedia.txt :confused:

If you're behind a proxy, either disable it, or try flushing it's cache (only if you control it of course - don't try that on your ISP's proxy, if they have one ;) )

Otherwise, try installing a different (preferably newer) version of WinZip/WinRar, or try a different browser.

Let me know if the problems exist. If you're unsure about whether you're behind a proxy or not, you can just email me the Internet Service Provider name and I'll find out :)

Yoda Power
May 10, 2003, 01:10 PM
I dont know if im behind a proxy, would downloading winrar/winzip solve the problem even if im behind a proxy?

Isak
May 10, 2003, 01:52 PM
No, it won't I'm afraid. :( If you haven't set up a proxy yourself, then the file gets stored on an intermediate server, between you and the DyP server. Every time you click the link to download, the request isn't sent all the way to the DyP server, but only to the Proxy which checks if it already has the file stored, and gives you that instead. So if the version of the file the proxy stores is, corrupt, you'll go on getting a corrupt file every time.

There are several ways that an ISP could have you set up behind a proxy. If you're using a certain cable provider, then you should check your Internet Options (Internetindstillinger), under Connections (Forbindelser)|LAN Settings (LAN Forbindelser) and make sure there is not a checkmark in the "Use a proxyserver..." checkbox.

Yoda Power
May 10, 2003, 01:53 PM
jeez, could´nt you just send it to me, does´nt have to be tonight, im leaving my computer soon.

Isak
May 10, 2003, 04:47 PM
LOL - well, don't you want to learn? ;)

I'll send it to you, but that's only going to help you if it is indeed a proxy problem, not if your compression tool is messing up. :)

Yoda Power
May 10, 2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Isak
LOL - well, don't you want to learn? ;)

I'll send it to you, but that's only going to help you if it is indeed a proxy problem, not if your compression tool is messing up. :) learn, why learn when you can get other people to do your stuff. I pm´ed you my email.:)

pdescobar
May 10, 2003, 05:48 PM
Why would you want to learn something new when you will just have to "unlearn what you have learn" later? ;)

Edit: Yoda, I understood what you had written and was in a sense agreeing with you and using your signature to back it up. Just being silly, is all. This is an edit to cut the spam slightly ;)

Yoda Power
May 10, 2003, 06:03 PM
Why would you want to learn something new when you will just have to "unlearn what you have learn" later? ;) i think you misread what i had written.

learn, why learn when you can get other people to do your stuff.

sorry im being so spammy:rolleyes:

timberwoolf
May 12, 2003, 01:21 PM
The Mod is realy great!
There was always a lack of buildings in the civ's....

But now I must say that there are too much of them now althow I like it...

I saw the problev then I was'nt almost able to build my military( i build 2-3 units in each sity and afterwards all the buildings availibale and only then I go on war( I usually enters into a war only AFTER WHE DISCOVER OF the rail roads....)

So i see that now I must chanhe my tacticks becouse it was realy uncomfortable then some litlle countries atacked my and was able to capture some sityes...Offcourse I was able to destroy them but it took a lot of time( becouse my military sacked!),,...

bla bla bla....

It is a great mod!!
The computer however is a litlle bit weaker becouse it is not too much "used" too play in this ruels...But who cares about the comp after all!?:lol:

Kal-el
May 12, 2003, 01:23 PM
make sure to download the next release when it becomes available. We have made some adjustments and the AI has become a little tougher. :)

Turner
May 12, 2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah. . . stupid Russians. Keep declaring war on me. Then I have to give them gold when they come to my cities and get defeated. What's the point?

Looking forward to the new build. I know this isn't the place for it, but it's looking real good. . .

Lord_all_Mighty
May 12, 2003, 07:38 PM
Has it been released yet? I am having trouble accesing the DyP wwbsite.

Nder
May 12, 2003, 08:00 PM
probably having trouble because its been released and everybody and their mother is trying to download it.

It would be nice if there were some DyP mirror sites.

Lord_all_Mighty
May 12, 2003, 10:37 PM
nah, this problem started yesterday

pdescobar
May 12, 2003, 11:16 PM
The newest test version has been released, but no "official version" release yet. The main page of the website has a problem, but it has been reported and I expect Isak to be able to remedy it tomorrow. If you are a tester, the link to the downloads in the tester forum still works though as the website itself is ok, it's just the first page.

Isak
May 13, 2003, 03:27 AM
I've fixed the website - it needs to be reset every time the first page has had more than 32.000 hits due to some internal pagecount. I guess I should find a more permanent solution to that :D Last time we had to reset was January 4th, so it looks like we still have customers.... (or is that you reloading the page continuously, Kal-el ?? :crazyeye: )

Thanks for the heads up, btw :goodjob:

timberwoolf
May 13, 2003, 05:43 AM
I want to ask the realizers( sorry for the terrible English) if you were considering to change the atack and defense points of the units, becouse it is realy stupid( and it was so in all the civ's, I know couse I play it for 12 years!!!) that peakmen or even phalanx are able to destroy units as strong as riflmens or cavalary i mean in the diffensive....)

What I wont to say that tank will never loose a battle against an archer or peakmen and mos of the over units as well...

like if a mushkeeter has 6 atack and 6 difense riflmens must have 20 atack and 20 difense becouse if I am trying to conqer a sity, simple mushketers(2-3) are able to destroy my 8-9 much more advanced units:cry: ...It is impossible that a mushketer that can fire at about 2 or even less times per minute will destroy fust firing units as good as cavalary and riflemens...

Were you considering to change the balance and make it more realistick!?

RobO
May 13, 2003, 07:44 AM
timberwoolf, have you considered the hit point difference? It is much greater in DyP than in the original, and should at least prevent a spearman from winning against a tank.

That said, I haven't really tested how your examples work in DyP - others are much more experienced with this aspect then me. And Kal-el is currently going through the units in order to rescale them.

timberwoolf
May 13, 2003, 08:20 AM
Robo, you are right but the difrence in the hits point is still not enough to become a crusial efect on the fighting.

The were wearness is also to great.
I had a federal government then Russia diclared war om me I made an aliiance with all the over countries exept greece againct the Russians...

I was suposed to invare Greece soon by my self, Russia and greece signed a military alliacne to destroy me....

So i wasn't the agressor...
in some 10 turns all my country that was in good shape before the start of the war and I even enterd into a golden age and had some 400 profits a day and a discovery every 3-4 turns just started to collapse...I lost 300 a day and every sity was starving, all becouse the war efeect...

I think that then you are bieng atacked there is not suposed to be almost no war wearness or even it's afect should be good...Like, you are bieng atacked, that the citezens want from you!??!??!?!:mad:

I don't know if it is possible, but also I think that if you are going into a war and you doe'snt loss to much troops and succsefull the war wearness should be minimal...( England and most European states were always fighting against some primitive how should I call them tribes or countries...but they fighting was sucsesfull so no body cared about it)....

If an enemy destroys your sityes the production must even increase in your sityes...\

I also thought about an option- mobilization...
During a war against strong state you'l be able to "mobilize" troops from your sityes the size will be important...the mobiliazed troops will decrease the population of the sityes but althow they will be as simple troops or maby less expirienced after the end of the conflict they would be able to join their home sities like a worker....

I have to much idieas unfortunatli they are not too much realistick, too bad!

RobO
May 13, 2003, 08:45 AM
War weariness cannot really be edited IIRC - it is a hardcoded "feature". There are, however, a number of improvements and (small) wonders that decrease the effect of war weariness, and you can also change government to lessen the effect. there are several governments to choose from.

Mobilization is already in the game (the original, not just DyP). It is called Drafting or something similar and becomes available with - I think - Nationalism. It allows you to convert citizens to conscript military units (infantry?), but is not available with all governments. Do you have the spreadsheet? It is the most reliable source of info on DyP and will give you the correct government stats. Get it on our website.

Kal-el
May 13, 2003, 08:59 AM
You can also set your economy on a War Footing in the Domestic Advisor Screen. I believe the effect is that it cuts the costs of building units but you are not able to build improvements. As you can tell I never tried it. I do know that once you switch to a War Time Economy you can't switch back until you have signed peace treaties with everyone you are at war with. If someone could confirm how Mobilization affects the game that would be great. :)

And as RobO said, I am in the process of rescaling the units, though you will not see as drastic a difference as you apparently would like. For gameplay purposes it will still be possible, though unlikely, for a Musketeer to take out a Modern Infantry unit, or even less likely but still possible because the game is random, for a spearman to kill a tank.

timberwoolf
May 13, 2003, 12:30 PM
Oh, thanks Robo< I was wondering what was drafting doing...

About the war time production it is not too much effective...

The Wonders does'nt seem to help to much, I think they effect is only for a short time or only on small amount op the population...

Too say the truth it will be too easy playing with minimal war wearness but in the other hand it is almost impossible or just realy uncomfortble to get into big war conflicts against countries that are having a strong military...It is almost impossible to take them off in a few turns and it is just driving me crazy then there are starvations and disorder in the all sityes...

Yes, I realy think that the war wearness is too much a major problem in civ...They should make it harder to develop the sityes and other things but reduce the war therness!!!
That are puthces for!? I'm shure a patch can repair it! Please Sid-Mire I want the war wearness reduced!!!

Something about the editor as well....
Resourses usually are found in "one" plase in quite big amount and are not spread just randomly, what I want to say that if oil ( and oll the other resources of this tipe)will be in big amounts only in a few plasec on a map it will very much improve the trade...

Opps...
That's not the right place to right these....

To the developers of the DYP- were you considering to add some future tech!? Like 20-30 totallty knew technologies!?
I mean the game is ending at about 2020 or so...Just try to end the game in 2100...
It would be very cool...

Also maybe the speed of the technologik advance should be a little bit slower...
I played Monarch on a huge map and in the 1812 I already had airplaines and tanks...

RobO
May 13, 2003, 02:34 PM
I hate war weariness too, but I can't do much about it. Use the governments more actively - that's the best advice I can give.

And we have no control on how resources are clumped, we can only control the distribution, i.e. how many of each - at least to some extent.

And I think Kal-el has something up his sleeve regarding future tech, but that's for the future ;) - we have way too much to do right now getting this to work properly.

Kal-el
May 13, 2003, 03:16 PM
If you are having a real problem with war weariness you can mod your personal version to have more improvements that reduce war weariness.

Turner
May 13, 2003, 08:46 PM
Here's This Thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42928&highlight=Mobilization) that gets into mobilization. There are also other links to other threads.

Kal-el, I kinda like the stats as they are now. Evens things out. I think that in RL (okay, before the US/Iraqi war) superior units don't automatically win a battle. I've had to modify the way I attack, and I think it works out a bit better. Maybe a HP bonus to each Era? That's probably asking too much. (Newark, huh? I grew up in Fremont. Spent many an hour at Newpark Mall in my youth! Course, different mall today than it was back then.)

Kal-el
May 13, 2003, 09:34 PM
Turner,

Thanks for the link.

The rescaling will not be too drastic, just some minor tweaking. Things that will see some real change are the Aircraft and Artillery. I am removing the bombard range from all non-supprt units and adding lethal bombardment to a lot of units. I am hoping that the new stats will make the game even more interesting. :)

"Spy" Units are also losing their offensive bombardment to keep them from being used as defenders by the AI. I am also hoping to get a bunch of new unit animations for the Spy series. I am currently working on the concept art for those and will post a unit request soon.

I am relatively new to the Bay Area, originally from Green Bay, Wisconsin. Where do you live now?

Turner
May 13, 2003, 09:59 PM
Moved to Kansas City 10 and a half years ago. Been trying to make a break back to the Bay Area (My parents are in the process of moving to another state) but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Didn't like the Spy's bombard ability. Didn't seem right. I much prefer to use them to run around and demolish improvements. Seems more 'in-line' for them.

Kal-el
May 13, 2003, 11:58 PM
and that is hopefully what they will be used for. :)

timberwoolf
May 14, 2003, 07:42 AM
Why the movement on the roads was dicreased from 3 to two?!

Or it was already changed in the PTW!?

Becouse I think that it's pretty bad...

connor
May 14, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by timberwoolf
Why the movement on the roads was dicreased from 3 to two?!

Or it was already changed in the PTW!?

Becouse I think that it's pretty bad...

Timberwoolf, the best thing to do if you don't like the settings is to just edit the mod itself. I edit the mod quite extensively myself each time a new version comes out. You can increase the rate of movement in the editor by making it 3 instead of 2.

RobO
May 14, 2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by connor
Timberwoolf, the best thing to do if you don't like the settings is to just edit the mod itself. I edit the mod quite extensively myself each time a new version comes out. You can increase the rate of movement in the editor by making it 3 instead of 2.
Sure, you can edit what you don't like, but please think again before you change the road movement rate. The starting ranger would be far too potent, making expansionist civs too powerful, and many modern ships treat all terrain as roads, so their movement rate would be increased as well. There's probably more that I don't remember now.

The same goes to some extent for the food consumption per citizen. The whole mod is balanced around 3 food per citizen - changing it to 2 would throw everything oot of whack.

timberwoolf
May 14, 2003, 09:01 AM
Yes, that's why I don't usually change mods....

But however 2 for a road is really not enough...

It's a pitty that there is no possibility to make some new tipe of roads....
Like- the roads of the 4000bc should be very diffrent from roads that was in the Roman Empire....
Also the railroads are qiute a problem....Like the first railroads should be at about- 12 movement and the more advanced some 25-30...

I don't know why the the civ relesers didn't done it...

I think that everyone has this problem that it takes complitley comlite all the infrastructures( i mean mining and irrigation and roads) and the workers are just worklwss for a 1000 years and then after the rail road becomes possible you build the railroad it takes maby 20 turns( usually less) and then they are almost workless once again....Ohh I just hate it!!!

By the way, I still remember the first time I hae played civ...I don't know why but I just remember the Island I was on and there weere a few ene,yes and it looked preety ugly althow it was 1991 I think....Ye...the graphicks were really bed....Just some big boxes...

Isak
May 14, 2003, 12:03 PM
[B]Yes, that's why I don't usually change mods....

But however 2 for a road is really not enough...Why not? :confused:

It's a pitty that there is no possibility to make some new tipe of roads....
Like- the roads of the 4000bc should be very diffrent from roads that was in the Roman Empire....
Also the railroads are qiute a problem....Like the first railroads should be at about- 12 movement and the more advanced some 25-30...

I don't know why the the civ relesers didn't done it... I think they wanted to create a game not a simulation ;) But we would also love to be able to set the movement rate for railroads to something other than indefinite, for sure.

I think that everyone has this problem that it takes complitley comlite all the infrastructures( i mean mining and irrigation and roads) and the workers are just worklwss for a 1000 years and then after the rail road becomes possible you build the railroad it takes maby 20 turns( usually less) and then they are almost workless once again....Ohh I just hate it!!! 20 turns :eek: :eek: You must have a veritable army of workers...

timberwoolf
May 14, 2003, 01:02 PM
I usually have at least three workers per sity, in the DYp less (becouse I just complete to build all the availible buildings and build some army and workers...and in the original civ 3 ti always happenes...but not in the DYP)
Also before the rail road I usually build one additional worker per sity, it pays of becouse strong infrastructure is the key to the game.

Does somebody knows how can I end diplomatick agremments such as mutual protection pact?

Can I!?
Becouse I never found the option but I heard somtheng about it like it is posiible, is it?!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Lord_all_Mighty
May 14, 2003, 01:09 PM
Go to the diplomacy screen ans at the bootom it will say New, then Active, click on the active it will say peace treaty(If your at peace) and then the MPP, It will also show the number of turns left for the deal. Most of the time, the AI ends the deals at 20 turns.

Turner
May 14, 2003, 01:10 PM
Check out This Thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=957091#post957091) in the Civ3 General Discussions forum. Its in the Civ3 FAQ. (The link to the faq is in my sig.)

Isak
May 14, 2003, 04:57 PM
I usually have at least three workers per sity, in the DYp less (becouse I just complete to build all the availible buildings and build some army and workers...and in the original civ 3 ti always happenes...but not in the DYP) That's good to hear. Preventing people from running out of things to build in the city, was one of the main reasons I joined this team :) I'm satisfied if on average each city completes about 40-50% of the buildings in DyP, once the mod is complete. I think Kal-el's goal is somewhere along those lines as well.

I think you're going to need a lot more workers in DyP though, as the railroads are more expensive to build IIRC.

pdescobar
May 14, 2003, 05:06 PM
To echo Isak's statements, in testing I have found DyP requires more workers than unmodded civ for my playstyle. In part this is because of differences in worker job rates, but this is also due to tech requirements. In unmodded, they can do almost everything at the start so I can start right away on infrastructure. I can also leave a worker doing stuff around an assigned city pretty much forever as he will fully improve one tile, then move onto another. In DyP, the fact that nearly all worker jobs require techs, means there is a delayed start in improving the terrain and I'm also moving them around (on the slower roads) much more than before.

Turner
May 14, 2003, 06:48 PM
Yeah, the worker aspect of DyP sucks. I mean, it's really challenging! ;) j/k RobO, Isak, & Kal-el. . .

But it is more challenging. . . I'm not happy with the extra price tag on the resources, but it evens out. Workers dont' stay just workers, they get more as tech progresses. It evens out.

Also helps keep the pop down, as I too tend to make more workers in the earlier ages.

Therapyfailedme
May 15, 2003, 03:27 AM
First off, I DL'ed the 2 files and have been stuck to this infernal machine for 2 days straight. So, after about 36 hours of straight DyP (just discovered Repeating Rifle) and thinking things over at work today, here's my thoughts (for what they're worth):

Early game workers can't do squat but build road, which is completely fine with me. I agree with the historical reasons for it, and frankly, if they were able to do more than just road, it would throw the whole balance out of whack (more on that later)

I normally play an extremely pacificistic game, never start wars until I'm sure i can really drop a hammer on the opponent. 100 modern armor, anyone?:D The Egyptians have been a fav for a while, but they seemed to be quite overpowered in this game i have going. By the time the rest of the civs' cultural boundaries had butted against mine, i had triple, sometimes quadruple, the number of cities they did. The shaman seems a little cheap for what they do...more shield cost maybe?

With my workers only being able to make roads, and my propensity for internal growth, once a city ceased growing, i would pop out a new serf every couple of buildings. This led to an insane amount of money in the bank. After a while, i didn't let anything fully build an improvement, I would just give it a turn or two to get some shields into it to lower the price, then just buy it outright. As it stands now, all my cities have absolutely everything they can possibly make (except Hanging Gardens and the sea wonders....drat those Germans and their harbors).

The second thing I don't agree with is serfs being free of support. IMHO, that's broken and just begging for exploitation. Example- once a city topped for food or at 15, they would pump out a serf every so often. By the time i saw i'd be building railroads soon (about 10 turns away), all cities made serfs. By the time high explosives rolled around, i had well over 300 serfs sitting, with another 100 or so laborers on the way to the rally point. Poof- upgrade all the serfs, eat the support for a few turns and every single city's full radius was fully RR'ed and irrigated, in about 4 turns. At that point, they could support themselves to 15 (except a couple holding down saltpeter) and i dumped the laborers back into them. All in all, i lost about 2000 gold and now have an utterly ridiculous advantage.

Other than that, the mod is absolutely magnificent. I'm going to work all the way through it and see if anything else pops out, great work to all involved.

Oh, i only read this thread through page 40-ish, so i don't know if this is resolved, but has anyone tried pulling buildings from simcity4, or the simcity urban renewal kit?

Also, i vaguely remember someone kvetching ;) about the early game shield production for some squares. Is there a way to make a city improvement that will give (for example) +1 shield from a forest tile in the city radius? I've been playing Stronghold for too long, and it'd hard to give up my woodcutter's huts :D

timberwoolf
May 15, 2003, 07:34 AM
Therapyfailedmå- I just want to advice you not to play on chieftan lavel, it's really easy...
( I think that you do plays in this level becouse it's really imposible to overbuild your oponents in for times while playing Monarch or at least Regent...Not talking about Emperor...)

I don't know how do you manage to build all the building also, I didn't build my military in the DYP until a was very cloze to discover railroads....

I aslo can't understand how in 36 hours of game play you are justdiscovered repiting rifle...
I always play on huge maps and it takes 14 hours max to be very cloze to modern time...( I think in my currtnt game (Monarch difficult) it took at about 11 hours... (without big military conflicts, with them it is probably may take 8-10 ten hours more)

The Shaman is one of the relegious civ advance!

By the way,I wont to thank everyone that helped me with this diplomatick stuff!

I think the workers are allright in the DYP!

Isak
May 15, 2003, 12:28 PM
@Therapyfailedme:

That does sound like an unusual experience (at least to the best of my knowledge) - are you sure you're not playing with accellerated startup or something similar?

Otherwise, I would very much like a savegame or two, to see how you pulled it off :D

About lumber, remember that you can mine forests in DyP - that's our Lumber Mill :)

Turner
May 15, 2003, 12:47 PM
It would be nice if the workers could build forests earlier. Johnny Appleseed was by no means 'modern,' and that's what i think of the tech to build forests. Maybe slide that into Sanitation? Still kinda late for it, IMHO.

There are a lot of early improvements to increase shield production. Mining comes with construction, and that's a lot earlier now. Forges, mining jungle and forest tiles, plains. Guilds, Town Clocks, Mills, Wind Mills.. . you can boost your prouction quite a bit.

Kal-el
May 15, 2003, 01:18 PM
now if only the AI woudl build all those production boosters it would provide a much stiffer challenge int he later stages of the game. :(

Lord_all_Mighty
May 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
Sorry to ask again, but is the update out yet? I haven't seen any updates on the DyP website and you guys talk like it's been released.

Isak
May 15, 2003, 02:15 PM
We willl just have to make sure the AI has read the manual, before Civ3: Conquests is released. :D

@Lord_all_Mighty:

We're betatesting it, so you will have to join the test team to get your hands on it now :)

pdescobar
May 15, 2003, 02:25 PM
The newest current official release version is still 1.05x for PTW, .91r for vanilla. The development of the next release (1.10x/1.00r) is actively going on and is being tested by myself and many others. We always hope it will be soon, but it will only be released when Kal-el thinks it is ready.

If you want to have a look at the beta (current beta is version 04 for regular which came out a couple weeks ago and beta 05 for PTW which came out a day or two ago), all you need to do is sign up to be a tester at the CDG forum (check the link in Kal-el's sig or if you have problems locating it, PM one of us) and download it. There are no special qualifications for being a tester, you just need to sign up at the forum; you don't even *have* to give feedback, although that is highly encouraged and you may find some angry bovines in dark glasses and trenchcoats at your door if you don't ;)

Therapyfailedme
May 15, 2003, 06:12 PM
Isak - That does sound like an unusual experience (at least to the best of my knowledge) - are you sure you're not playing with accellerated startup or something similar?

woops, my bad- it was on accelerated. Time to scrap that one and restart. And keep the roommate of my 'puter, too.

Turner- i agree, the early shield production is fine with me the way it is. 'Primitive' societies weren't usually known for their industrial capacity, as far as i am aware of, so having to be setting near a forest, as well as mining it, makes perfect sense to me.

Turner
May 15, 2003, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't forsake AP... it has it's uses. I use it with all my games. . . DyP takes so much longer that it really helps out.

I was going to post the suggestion for a lumber yard, but it occurs to me that a mill fits that bill quite nice.

dreadknought
May 16, 2003, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kal-el
now if only the AI woudl build all those production boosters it would provide a much stiffer challenge int he later stages of the game. :( [/QUOTE

hI, I play a mooded version of dyp all the time now that is alot of fun. As far as AI production I mod the game in this way and it helps the ai.

1.0 I have my govt (MUST PLAY with some corruption) but the ai govts must have minimal corruption . They dont adapt well to late game corruption issues as they expand out.

2.0 I give certain land types an extra shield so that the ai does not need developing land as much but I charge myself 1 extra gold per unit upkeep to offset this. This lets the ai compete better as the human players units are limited by gold more than production. However the bombing of ai lands does not cripple them as much as it did which I like.

3.0 I greatly increase city natural defense bonus to make it harder to assault cities by all. This tends to allow all civs to get stronger over time as cities are not captured as much forcing the ai to then rebuild structures. I think I made this 200 percent all sizes my current game.

4.0 I down size pollution (all structures) to help the ai not be crippled by late game pollution

5.0 Lastly I limit cities (can explain this later) but greatly increase culture for huge maps so that smaller amounts of cities can expand over large ares. This way the ai has more resouces in its areas without too many cities which slow the game. On a huge map the total city count is normally around 100-120 with 10 civs playing.

All these things combined give you a stronger and quicker ai that does not tire out but instead get stronger. I have some other tricks that I use to help the ai but thats a few of them....

Therapyfailedme
May 16, 2003, 12:39 AM
Silly question- are the effects of Mill & Wind Mill cumulative?

Kal-el
May 16, 2003, 01:09 AM
yes

timberwoolf
May 16, 2003, 10:14 AM
Why there is no goody huts in DYP!?

Yoda Power
May 16, 2003, 10:16 AM
Why is there no goody huts in DYP!? there are, i just played a game today and i got some huts. I think the reason you dont see to many is because the expanionist civs gets them very fast.

Kal-el
May 16, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Yoda Power
there are, i just played a game today and i got some huts. I think the reason you dont see to many is because the expanionist civs gets them very fast. Whew! I was worried there for a minute.

timberwoolf
May 16, 2003, 10:51 AM
No there is'nt, at least I dont have them. That's a fact
I expund vert fast and there is no chance i couldn't find them becouse someone got em before me....

I think that probably I don't have them becousr there is some option that i changed...I even think that now what the problem...
I used to play with a lot of barbarians, but the last time I just was so tired of them that from the maximum naber of barbarians I changed it to- no barbarians at all, could it be the problem or there is some other factor that can explain this !?

I'm just wasn't playing civ for a lot of time and playing only a couple of weeks and did'nt checked the new PTW possibilites!

Please help!!!!:love:

Yoda Power
May 16, 2003, 10:54 AM
No there is'nt, at least I dont have them. That's a fact
I expund vert fast and there is no chance i couldn't find them becouse someone got em before me....

I think that probably I don't have them becousr there is some option that i changed...I even think that now what the problem...
I used to play with a lot of barbarians, but the last time I just was so tired of them that from the maximum naber of barbarians I changed it to- no barbarians at all, could it be the problem or there is some other factor that can explain this !?

I'm just wasn't playing civ for a lot of time and playing only a couple of weeks and did'nt checked the new PTW possibilites!

Please help!!!!:love: i think there should still be huts, even though you checked the no barbarians. Huts can´t be modded away, so thats not the problem.

timberwoolf
May 16, 2003, 11:07 AM
Yoda- I'be just started a new game.
the year now is 570ad and a lead on the top civ by 350 points...I have at about 1150 points....
I play on Monarch :king: diificulty and I had area that could'nt be checked by my enemies( i wroute the score so you could understand that it is impossible that I havn't found even one goody hut...).

However maybe the problem is not in the -" no barbarians" becouse i have remembered that while playing civ 2 and one I played a lot without the barbarians but they were still goody huts...:cry: :cry:

After all it's not such a big problem since I'm handling just fine without them...
But i realy liked them....:(

Kal-El- what about a DYP2!? I mean- the civiliztion conqest and all, they won't be able to do that playble enough without your help....;) ( it seems that they have stolen a couple ideas from you, ).:goodjob:

Kal-el
May 16, 2003, 12:01 PM
I don't think we did anything to affect the appearance of goody huts. :S

We will definitely be updating DyP to be compatible with C3Q

pdescobar
May 16, 2003, 03:24 PM
Timber, did you by any chance modify the Art\Terrain\Terrainbuildings.pcx file? That is where the goody hut graphic is; if that file is screwy you could wind up with invisible huts...

I can state emphatically that every game of DyP I've played, which is at least one on every release and beta from 1.04x to 1.10xBeta05 has had huts. What version of DyP are you playing, what version of civ3/ptw are you playing and can you post the 4000 BC save game for it?

timberwoolf
May 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
I play PTW 1.21 DYP 1.05 .
I havent change enething and there are shurely no invisible goody huts!

The save weights more when 102400 kb so I can't attach it....:(

Isak
May 16, 2003, 04:30 PM
Also note that if you create a map in the BIX file, and then play on that, there will be no huts in the game, unless you place them in the editor.

Timber, if you have Winzip, WinRar, or some other compression utility, you can zip up the game, which will make it take up about 90% less kb. Just send it to me if you can.

(do you actually mean that it's more than 10 mb right now?? That does sound like an extremely large map with an extreme amount of units)

pdescobar
May 16, 2003, 04:48 PM
Use the Easy upload at the very bottom of the page, which has a size limit of 3 MB.

Isak, I believe timber means 102400 bytes, or ~100k which is the attach limit

Turner
May 16, 2003, 11:03 PM
@Isak - That depends whether you make each tile yourself, or let the Editor create a world. When you let the editor create a world, it does place good huts. If anyone cares to see it, I can post a couple of maps that do have goody huts.

As I recall, putting 'No Barbarians' will turn the goody huts off, but I've never tested this.

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 02:02 AM
102400 that's 100kb.

I just made a stupid thing, it didn't taken the rar file ( it was 100kb) but the zipped was 135 kb...
I wanted to sand a huge map save...

I will just make a new save in a small map now.,..

Isak
May 17, 2003, 02:30 AM
Yep, no goody huts in that.

Please open your 'Double Your Pleasure with GFX.BIX' in the editor and press scenario properties. Custom Rules is the only setting that must be flagged in the drop-down menu. If there are other flags, please remove them.

...or, perhaps easier, reinstall the patch from 1.04 to 1.05, in order to reset the BIX file.

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 02:31 AM
I'm also having another problem.

I played a game, the cartaginians atacked me destroing one undifended sity( from 50 or so) and in the same moment i had suffered a conqest defeat, althow it was'nt even optional( i choose only dominaton win....)

I had these problem before in the 1.14v when i upgraded it to 1.21 all looked fine...Until now at least...

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 02:53 AM
wow!

I changed it to little of barbarians and goody huts apeared...
\It was really stupid from me to ask such a stupid question without even trying to check it oit by my self.
Sooryy!!!

What means random sedd preserve?!

Kal-el- were you considering to change the bonuses resourses value!?
I played some very big world map I don't remember whose with it's own rules and bonus resourses were really good there.
At start they were the same or a little better but in the end of the endustrious era they gave just a huge numbers...

I think that it's right becouse it is almoust impossible to build sityes with population over 7-8 millions, and offcourse sityes in these size should be extremly productive...

Turner
May 17, 2003, 03:11 AM
Preserve Random Seed means that the random number seed used to determine outcome of events, such as popping a goody hut or combat, will be saved with the game.

So if Preserve Random Seed is enabled, you will get the same result if you keep reloading.

If it is disabled, the results will not necessarily be the same. It could happen, but it might not, either.

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 04:26 AM
Thanks Turner_727!

What is the number of civs you prefer to play against!?

Becouse if they are many it is usually enough totlay "capture" one and usually you can just start a new game becuose now you're territory is twiceas biger when your oponents and it's only a metter of time till you take all the other one by one...( you just can't loss)...

However it's much more intresting in the start when i compit against much civ's....( i never continiued to play after i controled 25% or so of the map...)

In the other hand playing against 3( even one maby?) on a big world can be much more intresting more lately...Everyone atcks only when hi's ready and prefer to build everything first...

I just do'nt know what is better....

Can anyone give me an advice, I want to develop to future tech's but still to have an real oponent! How the heck I can do it?!??!?!

Turner
May 17, 2003, 04:36 AM
For me, it depends on the situation, and what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm going for a conquest, I'll play a smaller map with less civs. Diplo I might go with a bigger one and more. My prefered is a standard/large, 6 to 8 civs total. This gives me room to build, and have an infrastructure to wage war mid to late game.

I've tried myself against one on a large map. Boooorrrriiiiiinnnnngggg. I don't recommend this. . . Besides, this invalidates some of the wonders, like Great Library and Encyclopedia, where you get the techs that at least two other civs have, and the UN, where you won't get a majority.

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 05:04 AM
Conqest victory is realy boring, I mean I played like that for some 10 years...:eek: :eek: :eek:
I mean- you have 4 rivals civs, and you v'got 30% percent of the territory- that's only a metter of time, you are already the winner....

The victory condition really sucks...
That's why?!
Becouse there are no cloze alliace in civ...
If they were you could build great scenarious...

It's just to easy...waa!!!
No real hard victory conditions...
I think there is nothing you can do about it....

Isak
May 17, 2003, 06:49 AM
If you play with 4 civs in total on a large or huge map, then you're right, domination victory does become too easy. Try it with 8 civs on a Tiny map instead :)

timberwoolf
May 17, 2003, 07:28 AM
No, I usually play with 10 civ's on huge maps...

My message is that domination should'nt be 66% , it should be 35%.

You see what's wrong?!
Like if now USA will sudeenly atack Canada, and after that mexico and Brazil all the Nations of the world would join together against USA becouse they will fear for themselves...

But in Civ you can just eleminate civ's one by one and nobody cares...

Isak
May 17, 2003, 09:34 AM
Hmmm... when I play, I usually end up being on the wrong side of a multiple-civ alliance, and I'm not even being very annoying to them....only slightly annoying :)

Kal-el
May 17, 2003, 02:15 PM
yeah, I have alwaus ended up with the world against me.

As for bonus resources, there are a couple of scenarios that have that sort of progressive bonus resources, but it works better for pre-made maps than it does for randomly generated maps because you have to have a lot of extra resources. Right now we are having a hard enough time getting enough of the current resources on the map. If we added more resources it would be highly unlikely that they would even show up on the map and if they did they wouldn't necessarily be next to where the earlier version are so your city may not be able to benefit from them.

There will be permanent alliances in C3Q.

Sturmgewehr
May 17, 2003, 02:17 PM
I have a problem, for PTW double your pleasure. Whenever i load the scenario it says "error loading pediacons or something.. what do i do?

Lord_all_Mighty
May 17, 2003, 10:28 PM
Just curious, why not make gold a luxury resource? I know it is required for banks, but can't luxury resources be set under requirements like strategic ones.

Also, is the camel going to finally have a use in the next update? All it seems useful for now is cheating the AI on a trade. One final thing, I noticed under the requirements for slave market that it was "natives", is that going to be in the next update?

Thanks in advance :)

Kal-el
May 18, 2003, 12:15 AM
I don't want to have tooooo many luxuries. :)

Camels will be useful for more than screwing with the AI. :)

Natives should no t be referenced anymore, they were removed from the mod.

Bamspeedy
May 18, 2003, 02:06 AM
Has anyone ever really ripped off the AI by selling them a 'worthless' resource?

Everytime I try selling a resource that serves no purpose to the AI, all I ever get is 1 gold from them.

Isak
May 18, 2003, 03:28 AM
@sturmgewehr: Make sure you get both patches from the DyP site - the big one (Full 1.04x) which includes all the graphics, and the patch to 1.05x.

@Lord_All_Mighty: There is also a problem with the distrubution on the map. Luxuries are generally lumped together, so you have 2-3 and sometimes even 4 right next to each other. This would make it too easy for 1 or 2 players to hog all the gold resources, and that's not desired. By making gold a strategic resource instead, we can be sure that gold will be evenly distributed across the map.

@Bamspeedy: Sounds like the AI is smarter than we thought :)

Turner
May 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
Plus, before the last two hundred years or so, gold was more a strategic than a luxury type resource.

Ultraworld
May 18, 2003, 08:03 PM
Went to the DyP site and noticed that mathematics was NOT a prerequisite for map-making. Think that is incorrect.

btw: isn't astronomy from the ancient times?

SethAdarion
May 18, 2003, 10:37 PM
In dyp, when I built the great library, I discovered natural curiosity from the scientific civs. Wackoness. Also, do camels do anything? And for some reason, the AI gives a lot of money for the grand war advance even though it doesn't do anything. Finally, even though the bazaar says it gives extra happiness points for luxury resources, it's actually the marketplace that does it. Either that or my dyp civilopedia is old (somehow)

timberwoolf
May 19, 2003, 05:55 AM
SethAdarion- probably you civilipedia is just old.

Ultraworld- if you will start searching for every "incorect" playcment you will find most of knoledges not in they right place but it is looks just alright now becouse there are a lot of knoledges that are not suposed to be before an other and in the same time these over is'nt suposed to be without them....
That's explayend by the fact that people did'nt really discoverd something everytime but it happened usually quite difrent...
But you can't do it in a game....

About astronomy...
In the same time you can say that irigation and mining and despotism and mathmaticks and almost all the ancient time were suposed to be availible in the start of the game, but once again- the civ astronomy is an reniesance astronomy...( Copernick and so...)

Take to example another thing- gunpoweder.
It was known to the Chinese for some 5-6 hundred years before the Europeans...The Chinese didn't had alchemy ...
I mean how said that to build cavalary you must know startegy???
Maybe some things are not right but is alright now and I enjoy to play the game!( DYP)

SethAdarion- the same thinh happened to my- But I discovered taxex and some over knoledge...

NewDestroyer
May 19, 2003, 04:22 PM
y can't i mine on grassland? i have enigineering researched

Yoda Power
May 19, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by NewDestroyer
y can't i mine on grassland? i have enigineering researched no you cant, im not sure why. But I would guess its because the AI would only mine on it, because of the high food stats.

Kal-el
May 19, 2003, 04:58 PM
don't worry, nobody can mine on grassland, but you can "mine" forests.

pdescobar
May 19, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by SethAdarion
In dyp, when I built the great library, I discovered natural curiosity from the scientific civs. Wackoness.Yes, you will also get Taxes from the commercial civs this way. The next version of DyP will implement the Trait Specific Improvements in a slightly different way to keep this from happening. Also, do camels do anything?Not in the current public release. They will in the next version, though. Don't worry :)
And for some reason, the AI gives a lot of money for the grand war advance even though it doesn't do anything.IIRC, Grand War is required for advancement to the next era, so even though it may not have any side benefits, it is still valuable since they'd have to research it if they couldn't buy it.Finally, even though the bazaar says it gives extra happiness points for luxury resources, it's actually the marketplace that does it. Either that or my dyp civilopedia is old (somehow) That is a known error of the civilopedia in that version, and it's not the only one ;)

Kal-el
May 19, 2003, 05:18 PM
Grand War actually allows you to build the Man-O-War (buildable by all civs) and the Clausewitz' On War Great Wonder. There shouldn't be any techs that don't give you something.

pdescobar
May 19, 2003, 06:51 PM
Grand War actually allows you to build the Man-O-War (buildable by all civs) and the Clausewitz' On War Great Wonder. There shouldn't be any techs that don't give you something.

Grand War allows Man-O-War in the current test version, but based upon the bazaar/marketplace comment I am assuming SethAdarion is using the last official release (.091r/1.05x) In that version, according to the SS, Man-O-War was available with Naval Cannon.

Clausewitz is available with Grand Strategy in both versions and I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets those two confused. ;)

BTW, in addition to its required-ness, Grand War is also a prereq to Military Tradition which allows Arc de Triomphe which could add to AI valuation. Incidentally, there are other required techs which have no side benefit but are valuable because they lead to other things, such as alchemy and strategy.

Caddy_NZ
May 19, 2003, 07:24 PM
hey i was on tha dyp web site but i cant find tha latest test version?? where can i find it for download?

pdescobar
May 19, 2003, 07:38 PM
To become a tester, click the "Testing" link in my sig and follow the instructions there....

Kal-el
May 19, 2003, 10:30 PM
Ok, smarty pants! I guess I don't know the mod as well as i thougth I did. :)

pdescobar
May 19, 2003, 10:34 PM
You're the idea man, we peons have to wallow in the details :p

Caddy_NZ
May 19, 2003, 10:41 PM
ok so i joined up and have been accepted as a tester but now where can i download tha file i cant fid it anywhere

pdescobar
May 20, 2003, 12:10 AM
From the Super-secret Tester forum you now have access to of course ;)

Note: I PMed Caddy_NZ (here at CFC) links to the Forum itself and download thread.

CivCube
May 20, 2003, 07:34 AM
Why won't this mod load?! :mad:

I have tried reinstalling it, but once again the Palace Garden Civilopedia icon is simply not there.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Yoda Power
May 20, 2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by CivCube
Why won't this mod load?! :mad:

I have tried reinstalling it, but once again the Palace Garden Civilopedia icon is simply not there.

What am I doing wrong? :( remember the bix file is called DYP with GFX, not just DYP.

CivCube
May 20, 2003, 04:45 PM
Does this apply to loading it as a scenario on PTW?

Isak
May 20, 2003, 05:04 PM
Yes - that's the only way you should play it. Never overwrite your default PTW files, if you have the expansion.

All you need to do is:

Make sure you get all the patches. To play 1.05x, you'll also need the patch called 'Full 1.04x' (approx. 28 mb) which contains all the graphics.

Install the DyP patches to the Civ3PTW\Scenarios folder (this should create a folder called 'DYP' and there should also already be a folder called 'Double Your Pleasure' which comes with the official patches)

Then, choose Load Scenarios, and like Yoda Power said, choose the file called 'Double Your Pleasure with GFX' - if you've picked the right one, the title bar, in the top-right corner of the Load Scenario dialogue should read 'Double Your Pleasure with GFX - v. 1.05x'

That should be it - if not, let me know and I'll try to figure out what's wrong :)

CivCube
May 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
Still doesn't work. :( It says that I'm missing an entry in the PediaIcons for the Palace Garden.

NewDestroyer
May 20, 2003, 05:36 PM
lol how can any skool work be done w/ such a great mod, doing homework is killer on the brain w/ such enlightment/fun.

Isak
May 20, 2003, 05:41 PM
@CivCube:

Ok, in that case I need to know
- which files (exact filenames of the ZIP's/Exe files) you downloaded and installed.
- if you have a folder in your Civ3PTW\Scenarios folder, called
DYP - not 'Double Your Pleasure', just D-Y-P (sorry, there's been some confusion about this previously :) )
- What version of PtW you are running.
- What the top-right title-bar in the Load Scenario dialogue says, when you select the Double Your Pleasure with GFX says when you select it (which version number is displayed there)

@NewDestroyer:

Yep, didn't you notice the mod's subtitle - "Cripple Your Social Life" ;)

CivCube
May 20, 2003, 05:58 PM
Oky-doky then:

It says in the top right corner that it is version 1.05x. I am 1.21f for PTW and I do have a DyP folder.

As for the files that were installed, they were zips entitled "Full_DyP_PtW_1.04x" and "Update_DyP_PtW_1.04xTo105x".

Isak
May 20, 2003, 06:31 PM
If you right-click the DyP folder and choose properties on the menu, how large (in MB) does windows report the folder to be?

CivCube
May 20, 2003, 07:07 PM
The DyP folder size is 940 KB. However, the downloaded folder is 49 MB.

Should there be more stuff in the former?

Caddy_NZ
May 20, 2003, 07:09 PM
thx pdescobar

I have 1.04x and the folder is 49,7Mb so CivCube, you should download it again. (Or you have pressed just one file to unzip)

Isak
May 21, 2003, 02:36 AM
Yep, Ville is right - it sounds like only the 104xto105x patch got unzipped.

CivCube
May 21, 2003, 07:10 AM
Ahhhhh, yes. So it was. :blush:

It's working now. Thank you very much! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Isak
May 21, 2003, 07:45 AM
No problem :) Let us know what you think, when you've 'taken her for a drive round the block' ;)

hbdragon88
May 24, 2003, 06:13 PM
I got PTW installed and downloaded the ptw version off the site + the 1.05x patch, and I started playing:

* What's with the site?? :confused: I went to the site previously and viewed the tech choosers. Then I go in to the actual game...and there's like a million more techs, all crowded and in sheer size. For example, fundementalism and crop rotation are in the ancient ages instead of the middle ages.

* For some odd reason, the boxes the advisors speak in, the red "more" is not in the box. :hmm:

* The science advisor was telling me about the benefits of Intergrated Defense when I was in the ancient ages :confused:

* I'm wondering why so many techs share the same pcx file

pdescobar
May 24, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by hbdragon88
* What's with the site?? :confused: I went to the site previously and viewed the tech choosers. Then I go in to the actual game...and there's like a million more techs, all crowded and in sheer size. For example, fundementalism and crop rotation are in the ancient ages instead of the middle ages.

I would guess that the website is out of date and won't be updated until the next version has reached a state of official release. As I pretty much never go to the website though, perhaps Isak or someone else can elaborate ;)

* For some odd reason, the boxes the advisors speak in, the red "more" is not in the box. :hmm:

In order to make all the techs fit on the screen, the advisor dialog was reduced greatly in size. The game does not realize this, however, and so it places the More where it thinks the corner of the box is. It bugged me enough to replace the "More" with "." in labels.txt in my game, although most people just ignore it :D

* The science advisor was telling me about the benefits of Intergrated Defense when I was in the ancient ages :confused:

The tech blurbs are off in 1.05x; Isak went through and fixed them all for the next version and I went through and messed with those some more (somewhat needlessly, it later turned out ;)) and they should all be good in the next official release.

* I'm wondering why so many techs share the same pcx file

Because there are so darn many :p Near as I can tell, Kal-el took the civ-2 approach to tech icons where they represent groupings like "ancient military" or "industrial scientific" Only the techs which give governments have specialized icons, which makes it easier to pick those out in the tree. That decision was made long before I showed up, however, so once again one of the Big 3 may be able to elaborate further.

RobO
May 25, 2003, 01:12 AM
The website is indeed out of date as far as the extraneous info is concerned. I put those tech pages up a long time ago as I thought it was a good idea and would be helpful to players. By now they are more of an amusing historical nature than of real value.

hbdragon88
May 25, 2003, 02:19 AM
I would think that it would be quick to take more up-to-date screenshots of the tech choosers, but I guess there's more imporant issues than what's up-to-date on the site. :rolleyes: I asked about the novelty unit pages too, and got the same answer but from Isak.

When is the planned next release?

RobO
May 25, 2003, 09:52 AM
Making plans that take Kal-el's incessant creativity into account is rather difficult. Isak and I have tried, but Kal-el is the boss after all. And truth be told, I have sometimes a hard time restraining myself too ;)

I guess Kal-el is best qualified to answer your question.

aaglo
May 26, 2003, 08:02 AM
I noticed one very-very-very minor thing in this mod, that doesn't even bother me - but I just noticed it.

There's this resource "copper".

Okay, it was very abundant in the ancient ages, it was rather easy to find and easy to work.

Copper is also required to make bronze. The other 'ingredient' is Tin.

I think that tin would have been a better choise, since tin was much harder to find than copper. But luckily it wasn't needed as much as copper was (the proportions were 9 copper and 1 tin - IIRC).

Just my two €-cents ;) :p

Isak
May 26, 2003, 11:06 AM
@Aaglo:

:confused: Which version of the mod are you using ? There hasn't been copper in the mod for ages :)

Bogarona
May 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
I just discovered Double your Pleasure and all I can say is: WOW!

This should have been Civ3 when it was first released.

Many thanks to the creators of Double your Pleasure :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

you guys made my Civ3 experience more complete

aaglo
May 27, 2003, 12:37 AM
Isak, I don't know.

I just saw it in the DYP www-site :p ;)

Isak
May 27, 2003, 04:39 AM
The DyP website is about as reliable as a David Letterman show :)

Mark Young
Jun 02, 2003, 01:50 AM
I've just installed the 1.21f patch for PTW. Can I still download DYP or should I wait until the new version comes out soon?

Isak
Jun 02, 2003, 02:28 AM
No, no need to wait - 1.05x is fully 1.21f compatible. :)

Mark Young
Jun 02, 2003, 03:16 AM
cool. let the download begin, slowly (28Kbps modem), very very slowly.

Mark Young
Jun 02, 2003, 03:21 AM
Do I need do download both the zip and EXE files?

Only another one of them

Mark Young
Jun 04, 2003, 02:11 AM
Have started my first game and its so HUGE!!
Just wondering, is there a world map for DyP or a way to play Kal-el's world map with DyP?

Turner
Jun 04, 2003, 04:13 AM
Hmm. . . you should be able to import the map, but that would probably screw up the resources. I haven't played Kal-El's world map, so i'm not sure about the resource layout.

Mark Young
Jun 04, 2003, 04:24 AM
Just tried that and it came up with an illegal operation message.
I tried it with the clean map. 180 x 180

Isak
Jun 04, 2003, 04:42 AM
There is one map (140x140) which can be found here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=704894#post704894) .

I'm not sure whether it's using 1.04x or 1.05x rules, but it should work in any case :)

Turner
Jun 04, 2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Sir Eric
Just tried that and it came up with an illegal operation message.
I tried it with the clean map. 180 x 180

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a beta-tester! ;)

I thought there might be a problem with it. I'm at work, you see, and, well, they kinda frown on Civ here. I can't imagine why. . .

Mark Young
Jun 04, 2003, 06:45 AM
Ok I got something to work this time.
What I did was open Kal-el earth 180 x180v1.6(*.bix) then went to import.
When the import data dialogue box came up it had 3 main options with sub options. I tick all of the rules options, then in the map option I only ticked units and in the players option I ticked all.
then when that loads I just selected the DyP(*.bix) and it loaded with this text......
WARNING: Some requested bic data not found in file...(blah blah). Part import performed.

Anyway I checked that I could add the DyP resources and it let me and it also had the extra units and buildings.
All I need to do is add the new resources and play (hopefully).

Has anyone made an earth map for DyP with all the new resources on it yet?

If not can I put this one on the forum when its done?
The link that I got of isak didn't have the new resources added on it which is what i was hoping for but that doesnt matter.

Chuot
Jun 04, 2003, 09:50 AM
It is possible to change the country and leader's name? I can't find it in the civilopedia.txt.

I just wanted to change to country to my country name and leader to my name, in this case, Vietnam.

Anyone knows please help, thanks.

Nder
Jun 04, 2003, 10:27 AM
Kal-el has already done all the work for you.

DyP on Kal-el's Huge Earth (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40254)

DyP on Kal-el's Large Earth (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41488)

Like Isak said before I am not sure which version of the mod these are but I think they are 1.05.

pdescobar
Jun 04, 2003, 11:48 AM
Chuot, when you start a new game and you pick your civ, click on the text underneath the leader picture and you can change the civ and leader names for that game to whatever you like.

Turner
Jun 04, 2003, 12:56 PM
It should be noted that this does nothing for the city names, you'll still have to enter those in for yourself. That is, if you want different names other than the default ones.

Isak
Jun 04, 2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Nder - for some strange reason I couldn't find the Huge map :crazyeye:

Nder
Jun 04, 2003, 04:17 PM
you bet, and those are both compatible with Vanilla and PtW

Mark Young
Jun 05, 2003, 02:58 AM
thanks for the maps. There perfect

Emperor C
Jun 05, 2003, 02:09 PM
i have a few questions about Dyp i hope y'all can help with.
First, I've never been able to use mobile infantry in the PTW version due to some error. In the regular version it's in black and white? Both versions have the most up to date patches. I was wondering if downgrading the patches would correct problem. I could try removing and installing everything again, but nothing happened the last time I did that. Also, what do u have to do to play DyP on the world maps?
thanks

pdescobar
Jun 05, 2003, 02:18 PM
With regard to the mobile infantry, assuming you are seeing the error where it can't find a Paratrooper sound file, you can work around it by going to the file CIV3PTW\Scenarios\DyP\Art\Units\Power Armor\Power Armor.INI opening it in Notepad and changing the line which says:
ATTACK2=..\Paratrooper\ParatrooperAttack.amb
to be:
ATTACK2=
We still aren't sure why some people don't have that file since it's a standard part of the original game. If you could provide any details on the versions of civ3/PTW (such as the country localization and where you got them) that might help us figure it out.

As for the world maps, take a look at Nder's post about 6 before yours which has links to large and huge maps ready to work with DyP already (I think the BICs are versions 0.91r and 1.05x)

Emperor C
Jun 05, 2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice and both versions are the American ones.

Isak
Jun 05, 2003, 02:43 PM
Is Civ3 the original release, or the 'Game of the Year' edition?

Emperor C
Jun 05, 2003, 02:56 PM
not sure but it came with a bonus disc

Emperor C
Jun 05, 2003, 03:01 PM
alright, i change the configuration that u stated, I'll try in now.

Emperor C
Jun 05, 2003, 03:01 PM
alright, i change the configuration that u stated, I'll try in now.

Lord_all_Mighty
Jun 06, 2003, 02:48 PM
1 quick question, why didn't u guys add more unique units to the civilizations?

hbdragon88
Jun 06, 2003, 06:46 PM
Is there a strategy guide link for DyP? I got really slaughtered when I took the mod for a spin in PtW. Firstly was that I settled in a bad place and it only grew to size 2, so I couldn't build any settlers.

I knew I was pretty screwed because crop rotation wouldn't come for another 10 techs if I went straight there. There were two forests there and I wasn't sure whether I should have cut them down or not.

To complicate matters I was getting attacked by barbs that were coming at me at all directions. I was surprised when the explorer was holding up well to the warrior's assult in the city.

pdescobar
Jun 06, 2003, 07:00 PM
I don't know of a strategy guide per se. There is a strategy forum at the other site but it's pretty low traffic. In theory, there's a strategy thread here too but that's *really* low traffic. What I found is that the first couple of games you play a little, learn what's really different, throw them out, and then start playing in earnest.

A good capital city location is quite important in DyP, although you can't always get one and with some resources hidden, it might not become good until later. One thing, though: the first level settlers (all clans/shaman in the release; hardy versions in the beta) only require 1 pop to build, so you *can* make them in a size 2 city. I made that same assumption (among other problems) on my first DyP game as well and paid the price. In fact, if you search back a ways in this thread, you'll see a really whiny post from me about how I couldn't get anything to work in that first game ;)

hbdragon88
Jun 06, 2003, 07:04 PM
What page might that post be on?

Ivan the Kulak
Jun 06, 2003, 07:21 PM
Kal-el, your mod looks great. I'd like to try it, but I'm on a dialup and I seriously doubt I can get it all in one go without a disconnect. Are you planning on putting in up in, say, 10mb pieces anytime soon?

pdescobar
Jun 06, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by hbdragon88
What page might that post be on? If you mean my whining and moaning about my first game, it's on page 60@40 per page. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19742&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=60) More specifically this post (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=812938#post812938) and this one a bit later. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=815430#post815430) Hard to believe I'm part of the team now, isn't it? :D

If you mean the long-dormant CFC strategy thread, that's here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23380). As for the forum elsewhere, you can find it by starting at the "testing" link in my sig and looking around a tiny bit ;)

EDIT: You may also pick up some tips from Sir Jethro's 2 DyP SGs. In "The Blind Leading the Blind" (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51243) several good players try DyP 1.05x for the first time and in the in-progress"The Emperor's New Mod" (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53145) a subset of them try another game (this time 1.10x beta 05) at a higher difficulty, with some cameo appearances by DyP team members.

Turner
Jun 06, 2003, 11:55 PM
HB: might want to step down a level too. I had to do that for my first DyP game, it helped out.

There is a spreadsheet available, in excel format. If you don't have excel, you can download OpenOffice, @ www.openoffice.org, which is an open-source office-compatible(sorta) program, enitrely free. This will read the excel spreadsheets. This helps a bit, as sometimes *cough cough* the Civilopedia is a bit, well, off. But they're catching up on it.

Isak
Jun 07, 2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Turner_727
as sometimes *cough cough* the Civilopedia is a bit, well, off. But they're catching up on it. Rumours, rumours... :D

Turner
Jun 07, 2003, 03:42 AM
To be honest, (and speaking as a programmer) I don't blame you at all for doing the civilopedia last. Not only do I program, but my father used to write tech manuals. . . we both agree that there is little point writing anything concrete (i.e. - User related) down until you have a finished product. Sure, it's frustrating. That's why RobO did an excellent spreadsheet to detail the changes until they are finalized for the release.

Hey, I can live with it. I'd rather y'all create then waste time trying to write the Civilopedia.

Harrier
Jun 07, 2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Ivan the Kulak
Kal-el, your mod looks great. I'd like to try it, but I'm on a dialup and I seriously doubt I can get it all in one go without a disconnect. Are you planning on putting in up in, say, 10mb pieces anytime soon?

Why don't you get hold of a download program like stardownloader. It has a resume feature if you get disconnectted. It can be found at the web site of the same name and it is free.

RobO
Jun 07, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Turner_727
That's why RobO did an excellent spreadsheet to detail the changes until they are finalized for the release.
Actually, the main purpose of that spreadsheet is to keep track of changes and help the team know what goes where and when. The fact that it serves as a documentation for the players is a (beneficial) side effect.

Ivan the Kulak
Jun 07, 2003, 03:33 PM
Harrier, I'll give stardownloader a try - I hope THAT download isn't too big - thanks.

Bamspeedy
Jun 10, 2003, 06:09 PM
I've watched the AI in a few starts and was wondering what other people think about the things I observed.

If an AI does not start with the wheel (thus having nothing to do), they do 1 of 2 things:

1. Join the worker(s) into the capital. This lets them get their settlers out earlier, but then they have to re-build their workers later on (which may take quite a while).

2. Start chopping forest/jungles. With the amount of time it takes to clear jungle while in chiefdom and being non-industrious, it takes thousands of years before they actually start building roads.

The AI only considers what can be done with the worker on that very turn, not thinking or realizing that in just a few turns they will get the wheel, and to just fortify the worker, so they can start roading immediately when getting the wheel, and not have to rebuild the lost worker. They don't consider the fact that they will get a culture expansion soon, or how long their worker will be tied up clearing that jungle when the workers will have more important things to do so early in the game.

Should road building be required to research right away? Should it take *that long* to clear jungle?

pdescobar
Jun 10, 2003, 07:08 PM
Bamspeedy, what version are you referring to specifically? The clear commands do take too long, IMHO, in 1.10xB5; they were upped somewhere along the line but I forget exactly when and why. AI worker and terrain management concerns me a lot (for instance, I still think they wind up chopping all the forests instead of saving some to mine for production) but I haven't come up with any brilliant suggestions yet...