View Full Version : How many civs do you predict will be in the official XP and which civs will they be?

monkspider
Apr 09, 2002, 12:30 AM
How many civs do you expect to see in the expansion pack, and which ones will they be?

I have been doing some thinking about this lately and this is what i have come up with. First of all, we need to realize that they will have to balance out the civs over the different cultural regions. (asia, middle-east, etc)

So what do you guys think about this? This is now assuming that they include ten civs, but it has to be either ten, or five, if they are to keep the different regions balanced. Call me an optimist, but there are too many civs they would leave out if they only went with five. It's possible they could do something like seven or eight, but that would be unbalancing to the different cultural regions which are already a little bit out of wack with all the Euro civs. Here's the list I have come up with

Euros
1.Spain
2. Celts/Dutch/Vikings/Portugese (tough call)

I'm guessing it will end up being Spain and the Vikings to represent Europe.

Mediterranean
1.Carthage (Phoenecia)
2. Turks

Middle-East
1.Arabs
2. Hebrews(Isrealites)/Ethiopians(Aksumites)

Most likely the Arabs and Hebrews, especially due to recent events.

Asia
1. Mongols
2. Koreans

Americas
1. Incans
2. Mayans

It is possible that the Turks could be considered either Middle Eastern or Mediterreanean, so that is a variable to all of this.
But if they only add 5 civs in the expansion, they will be

1. Spain (europe)
2. Mongols (asia)
3. Arabs/Turks (middle east)
4. Carthage (Mediteranean)
5. Inca (Americas)

Let's all hope that they have more. :)

And there is a rough outline of the civs you should expect in the XP.

Zouave
Apr 09, 2002, 01:47 AM
I'm trying to guess how many more Civ III-related disks Firaxis is planning to palm off on the gullible public.

I'm not buying anything until they get the game I paid fifty bucks for right. I'm also not buying a thing until we get scenario-building as part of the basic game.

swooper
Apr 09, 2002, 02:22 AM
mate u forgot australia :king: :king:

monkspider
Apr 09, 2002, 02:23 AM
out of the"sure thing" civs that are likely to appear
here is what I predict their statisitics will be as well
1. Spain (militaristic, religious)
2. Mongols (militaristic, expansionist)
3, 4. Arabs/Turks arabs=(religious, expansionist?) Turks =(commercial?, scientific?, militaristic?) I can see the turks being interpreted as several different things
5. Carthage (expansionist, commercial)
6. Inca (industrious, commerical?)

now for the "not quite so sure, but let's hope they still make it in anyway" civs
7. Vikings (militaristic, expansionist) Grr same as the mongols and zulus! But what else could they be?
8. Hebrews (religious, industrious)
9. Koreans (scientific, industrious)
10. Mayans (scientific, religious)

out of these ten...
religious appears 5 times
scientific appears 3 times
industrious appears 3 times
expansionist appears 4 times
militaristic appears 4 times
commericial appears 3 times

that's a pretty good balance methinks.

monkspider
Apr 09, 2002, 02:48 AM
whaddya think?

Lt. 'Killer' M.
Apr 09, 2002, 03:29 AM
one!

MP!

that`s what I expect to see! If it isn`t in, I won`t see the XP on my PC!

dikwhit
Apr 09, 2002, 06:23 AM
mayans and incans???? cone on dont we have enough western hemisphere native cultures??? we already have the ioquois and the aztecs..... i could buy getting one of the 2 but both...... a better choice than both the s. american indian cultures could be the canadians (canadian military : insert joke here):D
Should they decide to go w/ two american (N or S) indian cultures fine pick either the mayans or incans and make the second the sioux maybe?

sealman
Apr 09, 2002, 08:30 AM
The Mayans and Incas both deserve to be here (more so than the Iroquois) but I belive that they are too similar to have them both included in the same XP.

I won't even comment on the Canadians.

I do think that the Mongols and Vikings should be numbers 1 and 2, or 2 and 1 depending on your preference.

Regarding MP, I really do not care. (ouch. that hurt. stop throwing things at me!!!!) I probable would not play MP unless my sister comes to town again and forces her way onto my computer. I do not have the time to sit and play a 12 hour game in one sitting.

Richard III
Apr 09, 2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by dikwhit
mayans and incans???? cone on dont we have enough western hemisphere native cultures??? we already have the ioquois and the aztecs..... i could buy getting one of the 2 but both...... a better choice than both the s. american indian cultures could be the canadians (canadian military : insert joke here):D
Should they decide to go w/ two american (N or S) indian cultures fine pick either the mayans or incans and make the second the sioux maybe?

First, I will be sure to transmit your comments on our small and pathetic military to the troops on the ground in Afghanistan. They will be so happy to take time out from the ass-kissing speeches they've been hearing from the CO of the 101st to listen to your funny jokes.

Personally, I would be the first to say that our military is s***, but that's not their fault, it's the fault of an idiot government that can find time to subsidize cucumber farms in newfoundland and support a topheavy rank structure. But you're not me. And a polite guy would save his jokes for AFTER the war where Canadians, however small in number, have been risking their sorry asses to help defend your sorry asses.

But as for civs, hey, if you ask me, given the number of European civs, I'm okay with adding the Mayans or the Incans - Incans first, obviously, as long as they had a realistic new feature that transmits disease from one continent to the next at the first point of contact.

R.III

sealman
Apr 09, 2002, 09:28 AM
Richard III

I would like to apologize for any Candian bashing that may happen in these forums.

While the Canadian military is not one of the strongest in the world, that does not mean that their soliders are any less tough than American ones. In fact, in any conflic that the US has fought or will fight, I for one am proud and honored to see Canucks fighting along with us Yanks!

God
Apr 09, 2002, 10:22 AM
1. Turks- militaristic, religious
2. Arabs- commercial, religious ---switch India to religious, scientific.
3. Spain- expanionist, religious
4. Mongols- militaristic, expansionist
5. Chartage- commercial, expansionist
6. Inca- industrious, commercial-- they built all those farming systems and roads and had efficient mail system.
7. Mali- religious, commercial
8. Ethopia- religious, ???
9. Korea- commercial, ???
Maybe celts or vikings.

That should be it. I don't really believe the Hebrews should be a civ since they were a tiny little state. They had one big signifigance but thats it.

dikwhit
Apr 09, 2002, 10:42 AM
now if you look in my quote there were no jokes about the canadian military..... just a spot to insert them. When it comes to canada jokes, there seem to be enough floating around. I mean where would the world be with no canada jokes? Well for starters we would have to elliminate most of comedy centrals programming- both South Park and Kids in the Hall(I know they are canadian). Meanwhile that subscription to CGW has to be half the size it is now, after the canada jokes are history.And Canada would be even more sparsly populated than it is now, due to the mass emigration to other countries that happens when you take away the natives fun.
Sorry if you were offended by my leaving a spot for canadian jokes. Generally though, when one makes a canada joke it is not to laugh at the citizens, but to poke fun at the canadian government. Not meant personally.

Hagbart
Apr 09, 2002, 11:05 AM
If Firaxis decide to make a XP with more civs, i think that Spain & the Vikings & the Mongols are pretty sure to be in.
Other civs that might be in are the celts, another native american civ (incas/mayans?) and carthage.
There is a slight chance of the turks, arabs, dutch and MAYBE Canada being in the XP.
I don't think that Australia or the Hebrews will make it to a XP.
Hebrews probably wont be in because of the crisis in the Middle East, and the civ is to small btw.

but thats just my opinion. :)

Richard III
Apr 09, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dikwhit
now if you look in my quote there were no jokes about the canadian military..... just a spot to insert them. When it comes to canada jokes, there seem to be enough floating around. I mean where would the world be with no canada jokes? Well for starters we would have to elliminate most of comedy centrals programming- both South Park and Kids in the Hall(I know they are canadian). Meanwhile that subscription to CGW has to be half the size it is now, after the canada jokes are history.And Canada would be even more sparsly populated than it is now, due to the mass emigration to other countries that happens when you take away the natives fun.
Sorry if you were offended by my leaving a spot for canadian jokes. Generally though, when one makes a canada joke it is not to laugh at the citizens, but to poke fun at the canadian government. Not meant personally.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Canadian jokes are fine. It's just that joking about the military right now is probably on par with joking about WTC.

dikwhit
Apr 09, 2002, 11:53 AM
ok how exactly did we drag the WTC into this??? or did 5k other ppl get killed in a terrorist attck that wasnt on CNN? Damn, knew i picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue:p
Man its all good, hey ill even give credit for 1 thing to canada, just one :D :D guaranteed health care

monkspider
Apr 09, 2002, 05:52 PM
Good point folks, it is entirely possible that the Mayans are too similar to the Inca to be included. But if the Iroquois are said to represent the whole of north-american natives, including the tribes such as the Sioux, Apache, etc.
So the only other feasible choice is the Canadians, and with all the flack Firaxis has recieved for including a Civ as recent as the Americans, I don't see any feasible way that the Canadians will be included. No offense to our neighbors up north.
Also, I think that many of the European civs are fairly similar in the grand scheme of things, so perhaps there is room for the Inca and Mayans. :king:
But this isn't about personal opinion, we have to try to put ourselves in the shoes of Firaxis. If they only include 5 civs I believe they will be

1. Spain (representing Europe)
2. Inca (represeniting America)
3. Carthage (representing Mediterranean)
4. Arabs (representing Middle-East)
5. Mongols (representing asia)

All five of these civs either appeared in Civ 2, or in the Civ 2 text files, so there is historical precedent to believing that these will be Firaxis' decision.

However, if they only include five they will be leaving out important civs like the Vikings, and another African civ, etc. And it is important to note that the only choices here are either 5 or ten, any number inbetween will unbalance the regions.

Having reconsidered the inclusion of the Hebrews, due to the necessity of having another African civ, here is what I now think will be the next five

6. Vikings (Europe)
7. Mayans? (america) This one is somewhat subjective admittedly
8. Turks (Mediterranean)
9. Ethiopians (middle east)
10. Korea (asia)

I went with Ethiopians (Aksumites) over Mali or Ghana due to how colorfully their extragantly dressed leaders of old can be portrayed in the game.

The one civ that I'm not so sure about is the Mayans, it is possible that Firaxis will include the Sioux, but that would go against their statement that the Iroquois are to represent the entirety of the North-American tribes.

Any thouguhts? :confused:

Selous
Apr 09, 2002, 06:44 PM
actually ...... i would have thought that it will include the civs that were in civ2 ..... perhaps they might think to include more cultural groups? ... the entire continent of africa has been excluded as a cultural group ... also islander culural groups all around the world

what about some of the other central and south american countries? ... like cuba, argintena, brazil .... there are quite a few countries down there

and on the therory of unballancing the regions ... there is 16civs for 5 cultural regions? .... so it is "unballanced" as is ... not that i think it matters one iota .... just give us lots of em .... nick lots of user created ones and make them prettier .... i would also like to see a retern of male AND female leaders for each civ ... give us MORE MORE MORE .... give us a real reason to get this expantion .... or off corse the entire expantion could just be multiplayer and multiplayer fixes that are required for the game ... i think that would work much better into the civ3 ethos

monkspider
Apr 09, 2002, 08:45 PM
Well put Selous, however, given that the majority of Civ players, at least based on Civ 2 trends, prefer to play solitaire, I think that at least a good portion of any XP would gear toward the single player audience.

That said, I agree that adding more leaders would be a welcome addition, and add great variety to the game. Perhaps not male/female nescarrily, since some civs don't have viable female leaders, but just some alternate leaders would be great. George Washington for America, Vladimir Lenin for Russia, Ramses II for Egypt, Napoleon for France, etc.

In regards to the cultural region issue, it is something that Firaxis would want to keep in balance. As you may or may not know, but civs of the same cultural region tend to be more favorable to one another in diplomacy. So if most of the new civs in the XP were European, it would greatly upset this gameplay feature, especially since they already have one more Civ than anybody else right now.

monkspider
Apr 11, 2002, 03:27 PM
punt

costanza
Apr 11, 2002, 03:31 PM
Would you really want to be Carthage if one of your rivals were the Romans?

Dinorius R.
Apr 12, 2002, 09:57 AM
Asian cultures are a bit neglected in Civ3. It occurred to me that Indonesia, representing 200 million people, has been way more influential than any American native tribes for example. Although Indonesia as a country is a modern invention, the culture stretches back to ancient times and it survives today as the largest Islamic nation on earth.

Thailand (or I guess it would be Siam) is not big, but it is ancient too and has the distinction of never having been totally conquered by anyone, ever. It could be a proxy for the several other Indo-Chinese cultures (Burma, Laos, Vietnam) in the same way the Iroquois are meant to represent all the North American tribal nations.

Not that I think any of these will make it into the XP version, Asian cultures are too far off the radar screen for the typical Civ3 player it seems.

vanderbilt_grad
Apr 12, 2002, 11:23 AM
I'm willing to bet that there will be either 8, 14, or 16 new Civs. +8 = 50% more. +16 = 100% more. +14 gives exactly 2 civs with matching traits ... for example both the Japanese & Aztecs are Militaristic and Religious.

My top 6 choices:

1. Celts
2. Sioux
3. Inca
4. Vikings
5. Mongolians
6. Carthaginians

CrazyScientist
Apr 12, 2002, 11:33 AM
If I had to guess, I would say there will be five new civs. They will throw together a whole new civ-specific trait, and add a civ for each new combo, while changing either the japanese or the aztecs to it so there is no more overlap.
Although I have no idea what that new trait might be, so maybe not.

Do we even know for sure that there will be an x-pack, or is this all specualtion?

Ribannah
Apr 14, 2002, 05:38 PM
As an additional European civ, I'd take the Dutch. Their empire may have been smaller than that of Spain, but they contributed a lot to the advance of human civilization and they are still among the top economic powers today.

I'm hoping the XP will contain 8 civs.
For a decent geographical spread, we need a civ from South America, where I would put Tiahuanaco (the Inca rule is just the last dynasty of that same empire), Polynesia (capital: Jakarta), at least one African civ (Ethiopia) and possibly Mongolia.

That makes five. I would add Arabia, Mali and the Maya for good measure.