View Full Version : Europa Universalis III.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Oda Nobunaga
Feb 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
I just hope that Paradox does not, will not and is not using this "engine" to create Victoria II and HoI3

Sorry to say, but you have about a snowball's chance in hell of Paradox creating a new engine, or recycling the outdated EU I-II engine for their next few titles in the EU vein.

Kan' Sharuminar
Feb 24, 2007, 06:54 PM
Going by the Paradox forums alone, I was under the impression that the actual need for more powerful video cards was less a need for graphical splendour, but more for giving the AI more processing power, allowing for a better opponent.

I haven't played enough to judge the AI in this game, but does this seem accurate?

Maniacal
Feb 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
For those of you who do not like the map so much;

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288248

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283243

Oda Nobunaga
Feb 24, 2007, 09:05 PM
The AI is not so much stupid as...well, human. They make stupid mistakes - less than in EU II, though - but they're programed to be a very competitive, expansion-bent human player.

Hence, you'll get very little historical behavior from it and very much cutthroat action.

Maniacal
Mar 01, 2007, 06:28 PM
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290825

IT"S ON IT"S WAY!

Kan' Sharuminar
Mar 01, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hehe, good job :thumbsup:

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 01, 2007, 08:30 PM
Yay! It's coming! It's coming! :run: :run: :run:

Hitti-Litti
Mar 02, 2007, 05:06 AM
I'm just eagerly waiting the patch that makes Intel graphic cards work with EU3. And then I'll wait for first EEP(Expanded Events Project) to EU3 and then AGC(Alternative Grand Campaign)EEP to EU3. :p

Maniacal
Mar 02, 2007, 08:13 PM
I just want the damn game!

Rossiya
Mar 03, 2007, 12:08 PM
I didn't think it was that good.

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 03, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, we have heard you say that multiple times. But obviously we disagree.

Rossiya
Mar 03, 2007, 12:32 PM
What? I haven't said that before.

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 03, 2007, 01:11 PM
Really? I could have sworn you said you didn't like the game before.

Chukchi Husky
Mar 03, 2007, 02:23 PM
I think someone else did.

Hitti-Litti
Mar 03, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think that Rossiya said that the demo sucked.

Rossiya
Mar 03, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think that Rossiya said that the demo sucked.

Yeah, I said that- not about the actual game though.

Bast
Mar 07, 2007, 08:06 AM
I can't wait to get this. The aspect of the game I'm most looking forward to is: royal arranged marriages. I get to play Maria Theresa!!

Kan' Sharuminar
Mar 07, 2007, 10:33 AM
Royal Marriages in this are pretty abstract - simply another means of boosting relations without any real worry about the consequences. EU3 does give a chance of a Personal Union, if one nation's monarch dies before an heir is ready and it has a royal marriage with another. If it has more than one royal marriage, then you can get a war of succession on your hands.

If you are interested in a more detailed game that involves royal marriages for a nation, try Crusader Kings - made by the same people, and is more focused on the concept of dynasties and having powerful families in your nation. I'll admit to not having played it, thought the concept is interesting :)

Maniacal
Mar 07, 2007, 04:38 PM
How can you have like 6 royal marriages? Thoguh the gamedoes leave out who gets married and how many children (and wives?) they have.

Kan' Sharuminar
Mar 07, 2007, 04:39 PM
Have many children.

Maniacal
Mar 07, 2007, 04:43 PM
Concubines FTW!

Hitti-Litti
Mar 08, 2007, 09:50 AM
6 royal marriages and no heir = succession war that kicks ass! :lol:

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 08, 2007, 03:07 PM
How can you have like 6 royal marriages? Thoguh the gamedoes leave out who gets married and how many children (and wives?) they have.

You could easily be marrying off nephews and nieces and such.

De Lorimier
Mar 08, 2007, 06:14 PM
I just got this game and started my first ever eu game. There's a lot to learn, but it all looks great! I'm playing as Portugal (wanted an easy trade/colonization game for a start) and I'm really enjoying this game. I've always been more of a builder in civ so this works perfectly!

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 09, 2007, 10:38 AM
Invade Morocco! :p

De Lorimier
Mar 09, 2007, 01:29 PM
Invade Morocco! :p

I'm trying to stay away from the affairs of the old world for now. Colonizing Stadacona, Hochelaga and Kwedech was a given, now I'm in Cuba. I'm still learning the game.

By the way, am I misusing my diplomats if I almost always have the maximum of five of them ready to serve? It seems that once I made my royal marriages and desired alliances, there's little left to do until something happens in the game.

Kan' Sharuminar
Mar 09, 2007, 03:56 PM
Good luck with the game, De Lorimier :D

Nothing wrong with having those diplomats handy. At some point in your EU games you will find yourself in the middle of a war with multiple nations, and desperately waiting for that one diplomat to appear to try and barter for peace. The enemy will refuse, of course, meaning another long wait :p

De Lorimier
Mar 09, 2007, 04:41 PM
Good luck with the game, De Lorimier :D

Nothing wrong with having those diplomats handy. At some point in your EU games you will find yourself in the middle of a war with multiple nations, and desperately waiting for that one diplomat to appear to try and barter for peace. The enemy will refuse, of course, meaning another long wait :p

Right right right. I haven't been warmongering a lot since I started playing. I can see those diplomats coming a lot more handy. Thanks.

Hitti-Litti
Mar 10, 2007, 03:31 AM
I don't know about EU3, but in EU2 as colonization nations it's handy to explore with about 10 ships and fill them with units. When a rich and unprotected city comes by, conquer it and you can minimize your attrition there.

Till
Mar 10, 2007, 03:50 AM
I can't wait to get this. The aspect of the game I'm most looking forward to is: royal arranged marriages. I get to play Maria Theresa!!

If you are interested in a more detailed game that involves royal marriages for a nation, try Crusader Kings - made by the same people, and is more focused on the concept of dynasties and having powerful families in your nation. I'll admit to not having played it, thought the concept is interesting :)

I played it and if "conquest through marriage" is what you are looking for, Bast, then Crusader Knights would indeed probably be the best choice. You can arrange marriages for your King as well as for any member of your court. Using this wisely, you can win just about any province for your dynasty without having to fight over it. (Which is the other way of gaining land.)

Maniacal
Mar 11, 2007, 06:38 PM
Do EUIII saves work with Victoria and do EUII and CK saves work with EUIII?

Hitti-Litti
Mar 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
I think that converters will be available or are already available in paradoxplaza.

Maniacal
Mar 14, 2007, 08:14 PM
Surprise surprise, STILL not on the Futreshop webiste!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/class.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=1034

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
What about EBgames.ca? I would find out myself, but I have no idea how to search for games on it...

Maniacal
Mar 14, 2007, 11:30 PM
I read in a post on the forums (the thread is now on page 6 but I posted a link to it on page 14 of this thread I think) that it won't be out at EBGAMES until April 9th!

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
I hereby http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/splat.gif EBGames.

Maniacal
Mar 15, 2007, 01:07 AM
There isn't an EB Games nearby me anyways.

SuperBeaverInc.
Mar 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
It's a lot easier for me to get to EB than to get to Futureshop. I have an EBGames about 2 blocks from my college's campus, and there is another one about 15 minutes from where I catch a bus after getting off the train.

Hitti-Litti
Mar 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
PS, just use some internet-shop. They're cheap. And safe, unless you buy from something like www.sosnovyboritshernobylgivemeyourbankaccount.ru

Ehe, forum made url-tags to it. But it's not a website.

Maniacal
Mar 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
I can barely afford the game as it is, I don't want to pay shipping.

I might buy a different game tomorrow if I can't find it. Like a total war game.

Grisu
Mar 20, 2007, 04:30 AM
can't believe I missed this game....bloody vacation :eek:

stumbled over it when I was browsing through the local games ratailer :) haven't bought it yet, though, just no time at the moment. though it most definately is on my shopping list :)

wilcoxchar
May 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
Europa Universalis 3: Napoleon's Ambition! Paradox is making a new expansion set for release in August 2007. I can't wait!

Kan' Sharuminar
May 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
A rather unsurprising expansion, but looking forward to it :)

Link to announcement (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6860942#post6860942)

SuperBeaverInc.
May 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
Maybe by the time that comes out we will finally have EUIII up here in Canada!

Haven't checked in a while though, so it might be here now.

Maniacal
May 13, 2007, 01:41 PM
Maybe by the time that comes out we will finally have EUIII up here in Canada!

Haven't checked in a while though, so it might be here now.

Same, supposedly it might have come out April 9th... but I havn't checked since March.

SuperBeaverInc.
May 13, 2007, 02:59 PM
I checked on April 12thish and couldn't find it.

Maniacal
May 14, 2007, 10:47 PM
I looked today and it wasn't at Futureshop :( I didn't bother asking, I'm just going to order it online.

Kan' Sharuminar
May 15, 2007, 03:27 AM
I can't see anything on the EU3 forums about a Canada launch, but then that's because the Paradox Forums don't seem to have a search function, and I had to do it manually.

Ordering it online is probably the best option, at the moment.

Maniacal
May 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
There is a thread, I've linked to it before in this thread. THe last post in it says it will be April 9th.

Anyways, at least I won't have to pay for it now since I'll be able to get it as a birthday gift.

Grisu
May 16, 2007, 03:33 AM
can't you just get it through gamersgate?

kuukkeli
May 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
Uh, is there are a complete newbie's guide to this game somewhere? This is the first Paradox game I'm ever trying to play and even after reading the manual I'm totally unawares what I'm supposed to do.

Kan' Sharuminar
May 29, 2007, 04:10 AM
Couple off the top of my head:

Paradox Plaza Europe Universalis III forums (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=323)
~Good for general help - a friendly enough place, and you can ask specific questions there.

Europa Universalis III Wiki (http://www.europa-universalis.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page)
~I only briefly browsed this - doesn't seem quite as large as the other Paradox game wiki's, but it does have some strategy guides, hints and tips as well as general help for specific countries.

The Yankee
Jun 08, 2007, 09:54 PM
The 1.3 patch was released today. And with Napoleon's Ambition (this just makes me want an English and new Nobunaga's Ambition released here) in August, things will be changing quite a bit. I've only now gotten to a couple of the mods released on the Paradox forum.

pacesplace
Jun 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
I bought this game two weeks ago and have been just as addicted to it as I have been with Civ (on and off) over the last several years. After trying the demo, I knew I had to buy this game... True strategy and the ability to play by days instead of hundreds of years per turn.

Chieftess
Jun 30, 2007, 03:59 AM
I'm playing the EUIII demo, but where's the EUII and EU I demos? I want to see those, too. (yeah, I know they're old)

Also, in the normal game, can the game be played beyond 17-hundred-some? I also read in a wiki that a nation/civ in the new world like the Inca can never build ships because they're always pagan?

Kan' Sharuminar
Jun 30, 2007, 06:16 AM
I don't think the earlier EU games had demos, though you could probably find the games for an exceptionally cheap price anyway. EU2 is highly recommended, if you need to choose between them.

Also, in the normal game, can the game be played beyond 17-hundred-some?

Most of the Paradox games do have an unofficial mod to let you go beyond the time-limit (can't seem to find one for EU3 offhand though), and I think it would be possible to do it yourself. By the endgame however, you'll usually find little need to go beyond the deadline.

I also read in a wiki that a nation/civ in the new world like the Inca can never build ships because they're always pagan?

Yeah. Pagan nations, and to a lesser extent Eastern and (I think) Muslim nations get a weakened research rate. Something to do with making sure the European nations can dominate the New World, I think.

Hitti-Litti
Jun 30, 2007, 11:17 AM
Just buy Victoria, and load a save converter to convert EU3 save to Victoria(assuming that it is made). Much more enjoyable, because it has events.

TheLastOne36
Jun 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
I just downloaded the demo. Seems great so far.

(can't wait to actually play as poland in a game)

Hitti-Litti
Jun 30, 2007, 11:30 AM
Soon you'll be complaining how Poland is too weak in it. :p

Chieftess
Jun 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
I thought there was a EUII demo (I seem to recall only having the choice of England, France, and I think Ireland, and it had vassals and royalty). Anyway, how does the royalty system work? I know you can marry into another royal family, but how do you combine two nations that way?

SuperBeaverInc.
Jun 30, 2007, 03:29 PM
You enter into a royal marriage, and then sometimes out of pure luck you end up inheriting a nation or getting a personal union when their monarch dies.

Kan' Sharuminar
Jun 30, 2007, 04:51 PM
You can unify another nation under your rule peacefully by making them a vassal state (either through diplomatic means or as part of a peace treaty) and having a royal marriage. After a decade you get the option to annex them peacefully.

A personal union can sometimes arise if two nations have a royal marriage and one of the rulers dies. The junior partner (the one who lost their leader) is then limited in their diplomacy, and has to wait for the current monarch to die. It does give a benefit of an alliance and good relations, however.

In short, there's no real in-depth royal diplomacy, other than giving a short boost in relations and less chance of war between the partners.

Ulyaoth
Jun 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
Hey, can someone answer a few questions for me please?

I tried the demo right away, and while it was kinda cool it disappointed me a little and put me off from the game a bit. First there's that all the nations I played as seem pretty much the same other than size really, since there doesn't seem to be anything that makes them unique in the way of events or unique buildings or units or anything. This bugs me because in seeing all the EU2 AARs I saw the game seemed really cool and deep and had all those nice events that while they may not have made sense all the time they made things interesting, while in the demo all I saw were plain cookie cutter events that did nothing but move sliders around or change taxes.

Then the combat didn't make much sense to me, like why my armies in England were losing hundreds of guys just standing there waiting to get on the boat to attack France, how my 15000 man army led by a great general lost to whatever pathetic army the French threw at me, how France afforded thousands and thousands of troops while I was going broke just for my 15 regiments, why my boats would destroy themselves if they sat out of harbor for more than a week making it really hard to explore the world or send armies to the new world without already having a colony there to have them sit in.

Then there's that nothing really seemed to happen except the big nations taking over whatever one province ones were near them, the ottomans taking over everything in the way, and France kicking everyone's ass especially mine if I ever have a border with them. It just didn't seem like the type of game all those AARs made EU to be.

So, is this just the demo? Me not understanding the game when I thought I did alright? Also, are there more techs and buildings and troops in the game then what was shown in the demo? There were a lot of techs that did nothing. And is the AI more peaceful in the actual game? And are there more realistic and interesting events in the game? I mean, it doesn't seem likely that things that shoulld realistically happen will, like the unification of Spain and France taking those little nations near it, they just seem more focused on taking Germany.

The Yankee
Jun 30, 2007, 07:03 PM
They did get rid of historic events and historic monarchs in EUIII, but IIRC, you'll get the option of playing historically or playing as it is now with the Napoleon's Ambition expansion that's set to be released in August.

Plus, there are a variety of mods out there that add in events of one way or another. You'd have to take a look at the Paradox forums, since they have a pretty wide selection of different mods that can be added into the game.

I've never played the demo, so I cannot say what is in it and how the full game expands on it.

Then the combat didn't make much sense to me, like why my armies in England were losing hundreds of guys just standing there waiting to get on the boat to attack France, how my 15000 man army led by a great general lost to whatever pathetic army the French threw at me, how France afforded thousands and thousands of troops while I was going broke just for my 15 regiments, why my boats would destroy themselves if they sat out of harbor for more than a week making it really hard to explore the world or send armies to the new world without already having a colony there to have them sit in.

Attrition. On land, a province can only support a certain number of units (can later be upgraded with regimental camps and so forth). However, if you have more soldiers than the province can support, a certain percentage will be lost each month.

As for your boats out of port, that's also attrition. Unless they're in your home waters (sea zones adjacent to provinces you own), they will be subject to attrition and they will lose more with each month due to time spent at sea. You'll have to monitor their progress to see whether they could survive out there or try to bring them back to a port (either yours or if you have military access with another country). Even with this, however, colonization of the New World starts very early, though there are mods that supposedly take care of it.

Ulyaoth
Jun 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
So, they're setting up two completely different game modes, one like EU2 with the static realistic things, and then the EU3 one? Or just the way EU3 is now but with historic events? And I know about attrition, but why's it affect me on my own territory, and why doesnt' it affect the enemy really? Cheating AI? and playing as Milan I wasn't paying attention and had my fleet sitting outside of Genoa and forgot about it for a while and came back to see most of my boats at like 10%. I could understand it happening in foreign waters, but not my own bay.

Kan' Sharuminar
Jun 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Ironically, despite the fact EU3 is designed to have a more open history, I usually find a self-contained history within the game. That is to say that in most games Austria and Lithuania will dominate unless curbed early on, and France and Spain will never truly unify, leaving Aragon and Burgundy as powerful nations in their own right.

Ulyaoth: Your attrition problems seem a bit odd. You shouldn't be getting any for being in home waters - any chance you were at war at some point and they got into a scrap? I've never seen a problem with attrition on land except if I'm above the supply limit. In fact, I have an easier time managing attrition in EU3 than I ever did with EU2.

Not sure if the AI gets relief for attrition. I think EU2 had it that the AI nations never suffered naval attrition, but I don't know about this game. They certainly suffer attrition during sieges - it's a valued tactic of mine :)

Captain2
Jun 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
finally a Canadian with a copy of EU3.... found it at an EB games

my first game went horribly, as Britain I had a Royal Marriage with scotland, then claimed the Scottish throne

I beat the hell out of the Scots but Norway and France sent enough troops to defeat me rather easily, but out of curiosity, how do you form the United Kingdom (I think its called)

Ulyaoth
Jun 30, 2007, 11:14 PM
Kan, that's one of the main things that I'm guessing would annoy me if I get this, the nations not forming right or doing close to what they should, but not doing different things either. In only one of the demo games I played, did France take Brittany, but nothing else that it should have, instead taking over half of Austria, and the pope was constantly starting wars, and Castille never took Granada. Maybe I'll wait for the expansion to see how the game turns out, get it then. Maybe I'll just search out Victoria or Doomsday until then.

Maniacal
Jul 01, 2007, 01:03 AM
finally a Canadian with a copy of EU3.... found it at an EB games

my first game went horribly, as Britain I had a Royal Marriage with scotland, then claimed the Scottish throne

I beat the hell out of the Scots but Norway and France sent enough troops to defeat me rather easily, but out of curiosity, how do you form the United Kingdom (I think its called)

Oh it's finally out? I'll have to check Futureshop. Still have $59 left on my gift card.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 01, 2007, 01:24 AM
EUIII in Canada? :run:

Finally! Perhaps I'll look for it on Wednesday.

Chieftess
Jul 01, 2007, 07:47 AM
I've noticed messages like "Montenegro units under the monarchy of Serbia" or something. How does the player do that? Make a claim to the throne?

Mirc
Jul 01, 2007, 07:58 AM
Where can I download the demo?

Chukchi Husky
Jul 01, 2007, 08:07 AM
http://www.europauniversalis3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=5&Itemid=27

Mirc
Jul 01, 2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks!! :cheers:

Edit: Downloaded it. Looks great. But... Transylvania is Catholic?? :dubious: What?
Can't wait to play the full version. Playing as Austria right now.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 01, 2007, 09:20 AM
I've noticed messages like "Montenegro units under the monarchy of Serbia" or something. How does the player do that? Make a claim to the throne?

Well, not sure what the units part is about, I assume you mean unites. That sounds like a personal union. The king of Montenegro probably died and had a royal marriage with Serbia. The Serbian king probably took the throne of Montenegro, giving them a personal union.

Chieftess
Jul 01, 2007, 09:54 AM
That was a typo. I mean unites.

Must be playing Civ too much...

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 01, 2007, 11:38 AM
Kan, that's one of the main things that I'm guessing would annoy me if I get this, the nations not forming right or doing close to what they should, but not doing different things either. In only one of the demo games I played, did France take Brittany, but nothing else that it should have, instead taking over half of Austria, and the pope was constantly starting wars, and Castille never took Granada. Maybe I'll wait for the expansion to see how the game turns out, get it then. Maybe I'll just search out Victoria or Doomsday until then.

Indeed. It is annoying to see it pan out the same everytime, particularly seeing Austria conquer Germany and the Balkans every game. France does provide quite a bulwark against them, so it's not a total victory to them.

That said, this is an EU game that's trying out new things, with a new engine. Paradox do have quite the reputation for requiring a lot of patches before the game becomes the gem it should be. I think only HoI2 is the only game released of theirs that was properly playable unpatched :lol:

That was a typo. I mean unites.

Must be playing Civ too much...

Had me worried there, couldn't think of any instance where units can be controlled by another nation. As Subi says, it sounds like a personal union, if both nations still exist :)

Mirc
Jul 01, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm playing a game with Castille, I "occupied" Granada, and now it's shown with yellow lines through its normal color, and I destroyed all the Granadian troops. How do I annex the province??

Rossiya
Jul 01, 2007, 01:55 PM
Right click on Granada and click Annex? I haven't played in ages.

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 01, 2007, 01:56 PM
Click on the province and then 'sue for peace.' Annex should be one of the options :)

Mirc
Jul 01, 2007, 02:00 PM
Right-clicking does nothing... :)

Edit: Crosspost, thanks!!

Yeah it works!! :D

Here's a screenshot from just before I won the last battle... :p

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2025/impossiblexo0.png

Pay attention to the number of troops killed.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 01, 2007, 02:32 PM
Uh oh, Granada has zombie soldiers!

Rossiya
Jul 01, 2007, 02:44 PM
There's still one left! Kill him!

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 01, 2007, 02:48 PM
I remember reading - though I can't confirm (and it may have been changed in a patch) - that if you have 10-1 odds against the enemy, you will annihilate them.

Though how you managed to kill and extra soldier is anyone's guess :lol:

Mirc
Jul 01, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, my guess is that my messengers are incompetent. :p

BTW it's a very fun game but I hate how the demo doesn't have Save... :( I'll have to get the full version probably.

Chieftess
Jul 01, 2007, 04:37 PM
I remember reading - though I can't confirm (and it may have been changed in a patch) - that if you have 10-1 odds against the enemy, you will annihilate them.

Maybe it was the general, or simply the messanger. The game does end in 1519, though, and forcably sends you to the desktop.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 01, 2007, 05:23 PM

10-1 = annihilation. I remember reading that on the EUIII forums.

Captain2
Jul 01, 2007, 08:40 PM
so, how does one make Great Britain?

I'm England occupying both Scotland and Ireland, nothing yet

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 01, 2007, 09:22 PM
You probably just have to wait for an event to trigger. There is probably some timeframe too, so maybe you have to wait for an appropriate year.

Chieftess
Jul 01, 2007, 09:44 PM

When they beg for peace, sue for peace and annex them. (I assume you're at war with them.)

Captain2
Jul 01, 2007, 10:03 PM
I mean I already own them, pure English, lack of British

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 02, 2007, 04:48 AM

Ta da! http://www.europa-universalis.org/wiki/index.php?title=Great_Britain_unification

The Yankee
Jul 02, 2007, 04:52 AM

There is a "mean time" to trigger, meaning that there's a chance it could happen tomorrow or 20 years from now. Yeah, it's unpredictable, but there's a set average time after gaining all the provinces needed that the game will give you the option to be Great Britain.

I believe there's a way to mod the files so that the mean time is a lot lower, but since I'm too much of a simpleton to mod all that well, I'd suggest surfing the Paradox forum for those answers.

Mirc
Jul 02, 2007, 04:57 AM
Question about the full version, which I don't yet have: are all nations in the world playable?

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 02, 2007, 04:58 AM
If I'm understanding it rightly, the file you would want is 'Britishnation.txt' in the EU3 Events folder. The mean time is a line not far from the top, and is set to 216 months. Change that number if you want to set it lower.

It should be noted that that the time is reduced if you own other provinces in the British Isles. I got the British Unification event in my English game a couple of years after annexing all the region. Amusingly, a few years later a rebel revolt on the Norwegian-held Orkney Isles caused a new 'English' nation to rise up :lol:

X-post with Mirc, amusingly. Yeah, you have all nations available to you in the full version, and the time frame is extended to 1453-1793. IIRC, you just get the European nations in the demo.

Grisu
Jul 02, 2007, 06:17 AM
I don't know if it applies to GB as well, but in Italy, having "bureaucracy" apparently greatly lowers the time until the event fires.

Grisu
Jul 02, 2007, 06:25 AM
personal unions always happen by chance, you can't really influence them, other than having a lot of royal marriages.

presonal unions can happen when a king of a country with which you have a royal marriage dies and no apparent heir is around. your king will then rule both countries. as an effect the junior partner will always join into wars you're in on your side. the difference to vassalage is that you cannot annex them and that a personal union cannot be broken by declaring war. the only way a personal union is broken is when the king dies. you have no influence in forming personal unions.

edit: there's also a (very small) chance that you'll inherit the whole kingdom, basically annexing it :)

Mirc
Jul 02, 2007, 07:00 AM
X-post with Mirc, amusingly. Yeah, you have all nations available to you in the full version, and the time frame is extended to 1453-1793. IIRC, you just get the European nations in the demo.

In the demo, you get only the Western European nations, until Austria. :) Poland and Hungary for example are not playable, as well as the Ottomans, Wallachia, Serbia (whatever it's called in game), etc.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 02, 2007, 07:14 AM
There is a way to play any nation you want in the demo though. Just go to the Eu3 - Demo/common/countries folder, open up the txt file of the nation you want, and change the graphical culture to latin. It's the third line, so it's easy to find. As long as the graphical culture is latin that nation is playable in the demo.

Mirc
Jul 02, 2007, 07:28 AM
Really? :eek: Thanks!

BTW - the Transylvania region is totally stupid made. It contains all the territory until Belgrade (!), including it, it's "Catholic" (when about 10-15% of it was Catholic), and "Culturally Hungarian" and all in all absolutely inaccurate.

I want to play with Lithuania and the Ottomans. :D

Captain2
Jul 03, 2007, 01:36 AM
as history calls it, I have been involved in the British-French war, heres how it went....

Combatants:

Great Britain, Burgandy, Castille, Aragon Vs. France and her vassals from the start of the game

Overseas Colonies:
British: Canada and the Thirteen Colonies, South Africa and Taiwan
Castille: Southern USA
Aragon: Brazil roughly
France: Northern South America

Tactics:
-Britain declares war on France, who after being warned by Britain had declared on Castille and Aragon

-Britian calls for its ally burgandy to join, it refuses

-British province in northern france is overwhelmed by 10,000 Frenchmen Vs. 8000 British troops

-France pushes back the Spanish powers past the former border

-English landing in normandy is crushed

-Burgandy joins in the war

-France pushes burgandy back to Calais, fighting between French and British break out

-Burgandy Signs peace with france

-Aragon makes minor advances agianst france

-Britain loses naval power over the channel

-French landing in England crushed

-minor french vassal takes Newfoundland from the British

-The Spanish powers sign peace with france

-British landing in Northern France crushed

-British steal all french south american colonies

-peace is signed between Britain and France ending a nine year war

end result

Britain pays France 500 gold, Britain gains french colonies

Burgandy terms unknown

Aragon loses provinces on french border

Castile loses one city to France

Minor Vassal Keeps Newfoundland

I was the British.....:(

Hitti-Litti
Jul 03, 2007, 04:57 AM
Not bad at all actually, you got all French colonies. Newfoundland isn't that great area, though of course it's a loss that you lost it. Your attack fell on Burgundy's cowardness IMO.

sirtommygunn
Jul 03, 2007, 01:06 PM
wow france is preety awesome to hold you all off at once like that hell even make ADVANCES into your countries!

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 04, 2007, 01:12 AM
Tomorrow I think I'll go to EB Games and attempt to find EUIII. Hopefully I can find it, as that will finally give me a reason to use my $50 EB gift card. :yeah:

Captain2
Jul 04, 2007, 01:37 AM
yeah, I got france back for it, in the next game :p

began as Brandenburg, united Germany and took steps to keep france divided, now I'm undisputed ruler of europe, my only enemy is the ottoman empire who has managed to expand into hungary

germanicus12
Jul 05, 2007, 07:02 PM
Has anyone beaten the British as the Americans during the Revolution. I have tried like 15 times and still cannot defeat the British.

Any help or tricks you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Captain2
Jul 07, 2007, 07:46 PM
usually the British will offer you peace, I suggest you take it... other than that I see no hope

madviking
Jul 13, 2007, 09:58 AM
I managed to get Germany unification and land from north scan. to austria and ostprussen to burgundy (which I have vassalized! :D) Rebels decimated france causing it to split up into 7 french minors, all i have vassalized including france itself, almost all my provinces have manufacturies and i have colonies from the caribbean to the inca (conquered) with...
Mecklenburg
the starting cot really helps :)

One of my dad's games as Novogorod was Saxony to Siberia with him outresearching all the snotty latins.

I was able to fight France (not win or lose) as Sicily after "italian unification" (they can't since they're sicilian not lombardian), another rarity was that I managed to colonize and upgrade all the provinces into cities in JAVA. (whoo!)

One of my Vijaynagara (aka light blue india conquerer) games was conquering modern day borders of india...
...with crappy leaders who die within 5 seconds and 35 rep...

Most of my other games have been played until the point i know that i can beat down any superpower

Mirc
Jul 31, 2007, 04:10 AM
I became a lot better at the game than I was last time I played it. :D :D

After playing a couple of games, with Austria, Castille and the Ottomans, and getting bored, I played a game with Wallachia.

I started in 1508, with 2 provinces and 16 ducats... and only a very small army (1000 people). In 6 years, I unified Romania, conquering all of Moldova and Transylvania, and I got up to 88 ducats and 5000 people in the army. Not much compared to the great powers, but I'm still so proud of it. :smug: My stability is low, because I really don't have time, I just had to declare war ASAP! For example, if I waited even just 1 month more with declaring war on Moldova, Poland would have got it and it would be intangible for me now. Now I'm preparing my army, as I know in a very short time from now, Hungary will declare war on me, as history calls.

Now if I only had the full version!! :cry: I would have thought every decision, increase my army, fight Hungary as they are going to declare anyway, force them to release Croatia/Slavonia, then I would declare war on the Ottomans when I'll be prepared (but only when I'll have like 50000 people or so), and force them to release Bulgaria, Greece, Serbia, Bosnia, etc. Then I would request military access through those newly-created states, and I'd attack Constantinopole. And then... well depends on how fast I could accomplish this.

Here are my achievements! :smug: I am 86 years ahead history (as the unification happened in 1600, while I am in 1514), and in a situation a lot better than in history (the unification only lasted 1 year, while right now I really am prepared to hold it like this for a long time).

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/UnifiedRomania.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/UnifiedRomania2.PNG

Those are my achievements in 6 years (compared to how the stats were when I started):
Treasury: 550%
Army: 490%
Number of provinces: 5, so 250% compared to when I started
The province with the highest population is Bessarabia, with over 32000, followed by Wallachia, with about 25000, then Banat, Oltenia and the smallest is Transylvania, with less than 8000. :)

I know this is absolutely nothing compared to what people here did, but I'm very happy since this is my 4th game, and I barely played the first three for 10 years or so. I'm also proud that I started with one of the smallest nations, VASSAL OF THE OTTOMANS, with virtually no army, and with virtually no money, and caught right between the Ottoman Empire (which is at its height), Hungary and Poland.

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 31, 2007, 04:28 AM
Very impressive work :goodjob:

Mirc
Jul 31, 2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks! :D I'm still a noob though, I've got a lot to learn. :)

Mirc
Aug 03, 2007, 02:27 PM
I've got a stupid, stupid question: how can I colonize an overseas territory??

Maniacal
Aug 03, 2007, 02:39 PM
You can only colonise the gray unclaimed teritories. Some are automaticaly revelaed, but you need the idea Quest for the new World to build explorers. The easiest way is to hire an explorer and put him in command of a couple of ships, send him over to America and discover the regions over there. Most are unclaimed, to colonise one, click on it and click send a colonist. This costs gold and it takes time depending on the distance from your capital.

Mirc
Aug 03, 2007, 04:38 PM
Ah thanks I managed!! :D

And I managed to (almost!) unify Germany by conquest, conquer Switzerland and Alsace, part of Venice and all the low countries... and to get 6 colonies or so in central America (from Florida to Mexico, on the coast). I played as Austria.

Unfortunately the Demo kicks me out automatically in January 1521!!!! :cry:

I have to buy the full version sometime...

Maniacal
Aug 03, 2007, 06:22 PM
Same here :( It's not availiable localy.

SuperBeaverInc.
Aug 03, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, they really screwed it up with Canada. Really the only way I could get it is by downloading it, but I lack a credit card.

Captain2
Aug 03, 2007, 09:53 PM
I got it in canada.....

however I imagine if it was just a walk to EB for everyone else I wouldnt be the only one here

Maniacal
Aug 03, 2007, 10:33 PM
The nearest EB games that I know of is 3 hours away (200 kms). In Victoria.

Well, there are probably EB games in the lower Mainland too, but that's a 1.5 or a 2 hour ferry ride plus traffic.

SuperBeaverInc.
Aug 03, 2007, 10:54 PM
I got it in canada.....

however I imagine if it was just a walk to EB for everyone else I wouldnt be the only one here

Yeah, but you're in Toronto. Us backwards hillbillies out in the boonies in Alberta obviously must not have enough book-learnin' to know how to operate these darn-fangled computers, and thus don't need vide-ah games. As I've been to multiple stores and none have them.

Maniacal
Aug 03, 2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, but you're in Toronto. Us backwards hillbillies out in the boonies in Alberta obviously must not have enough book-learnin' to know how to operate these darn-fangled computers, and thus don't need vide-ah games. As I've been to multiple stores and none have them.

Only EB Games and Futureshop were supposed to get it, but only EB games has it.

Captain2
Aug 03, 2007, 11:32 PM
hmm... actually the place I ended up going to was a 45 minute drive

The Yankee
Aug 03, 2007, 11:42 PM
You can only colonise the gray unclaimed teritories. Some are automaticaly revelaed, but you need the idea Quest for the new World to build explorers. The easiest way is to hire an explorer and put him in command of a couple of ships, send him over to America and discover the regions over there. Most are unclaimed, to colonise one, click on it and click send a colonist. This costs gold and it takes time depending on the distance from your capital.

All of that, of course, is assuming you're gaining colonists to use (and you need one to hire an explorer or conquistador anyway, unless the earliest version of EUIII did not require that). But that can be remedied by adjusting a few of the sliders and taking the National Idea that grants one extra colonist yearly (I believe it's called Colonial Ventures).

Maniacal
Aug 03, 2007, 11:56 PM
hmm... actually the place I ended up going to was a 45 minute drive

Actualy, I lied, I went ot EBgames.ca and used the store locator, there's 2 in nanaimo, so about 40-50 minutes away! Perfect, since the Simpson's Movie is not playing locally, I have to go down there anyways!

EDIT: Besides the store locator, the site is rather useless, only shows a few ne and new-ish games, and pre-orders.

SuperBeaverInc.
Aug 04, 2007, 12:14 AM
Actualy, I lied, I went ot EBgames.ca and used the store locator, there's 2 in nanaimo, so about 40-50 minutes away! Perfect, since the Simpson's Movie is not playing locally, I have to go down there anyways!

EDIT: Besides the store locator, the site is rather useless, only shows a few ne and new-ish games, and pre-orders.

Don't get your hopes up. I've been to 3 EB stores and Calgary with no luck. And considering how long ago it was released, I doubt many will still be out on store shelves if they had them.

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 03:00 AM
Same here :( It's not availiable localy.

Same, I could not find it, and I live in a capital, for God's sake! I mean, out of 2 million people that live here, nobody wants Europa Universalis III?

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 06:19 AM
Heh you can actually play on, even if you get that message! :D but it gets really annoying as you can't see the center of the screen.

Last time I played, I managed to unify Romania (I posted here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5754754&postcount=359)), but now I did a lot better. I'm still learning though, but I doubt I can do much more in the Demo.

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Unire01.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Unire02.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Unire03.PNG

I'm especially happy about the gold, I started with 14 ducats and I now have 554. And I started with two small provinces and now I have 7.

<nuke>
Aug 04, 2007, 01:44 PM
Who should I be in my AAR? I was thinking the Papal States

Captain2
Aug 04, 2007, 03:15 PM
whoever you think you could do an interesting job with....

if I still have any energy after Cobblers I'd take Brandenburg :)

<nuke>
Aug 04, 2007, 03:17 PM
well, I am doing Bradenburg now :)

Captain2
Aug 04, 2007, 03:19 PM
ahhhhHH!

*pulls hair out*

go for it though....... I've already done it once and its challenging, the egyptian invasion was a reminder

<nuke>
Aug 04, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hey, how do I take more than one screenie at a time? Right now, I take a screenie, save, quit game, go back to playing. How do I take more than one?

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 04:09 PM
^ Press print screen, press the windows key between Ctrl and Alt (or press Ctrl + Escape, has the same effect) to bring up the Start Menu and the Taskbar, enter Paint, paste, save, click on the Europa Universalis task to restore it to the original size, play, take another screenshot, repeat the procedure. :)

<nuke>
Aug 04, 2007, 04:13 PM
thanks man :D

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 04:14 PM
If you're playing the full game, it's even easier after one of the patches (1.2 or 1.3, don't remember which one introduced it) lets you take a screenshot by pressing the F11 key. The shot will then go into a folder in your EU III file (C drive, EU III, etc., I'm not typing out the whole thing) called "Screenshots." No need to play with other programs or minimizing the game until you're ready!

Maniacal
Aug 04, 2007, 05:14 PM
You could just get fraps, then you can use it for ALL of your games.

www.fraps.com

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 05:29 PM
^ There are many screenshot utilities, Fraps is just one of them. :) But I agree, it's a good one.

Kan' Sharuminar
Aug 04, 2007, 05:32 PM
Finding Paradox games is a nightmare sometimes. I think they've realised this and made it available mostly online (EU3's coming expansion is only downloadable, IIRC :()

For taking screenies, I use the tried and tested method of 'print screen' and pasting it onto paint. I can usually work my way from there :)

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm actually happy that Napoleon's Ambition will be online through GamersGate. Means I can download it before I head to North Carolina and could spend a good amount of time on the Amtrak ride back to New York playing it. But I do understand how it might make things more difficult for those that either can't get it due to the lack of a credit card or if they're paranoid about conducting any online transactions.

Maniacal
Aug 04, 2007, 05:40 PM
Or have bad connections. Poor dial up users :( I feel sorry for their torture.

I hope you can get a hard copy of it, or just burn it on a CD.

<nuke>
Aug 04, 2007, 05:44 PM
can you post a link please?

Maniacal
Aug 04, 2007, 05:54 PM

To what? I don't think the expansion is out yet, I posted a link to fraps already.

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm actually happy that Napoleon's Ambition will be online through GamersGate. Means I can download it before I head to North Carolina and could spend a good amount of time on the Amtrak ride back to New York playing it. But I do understand how it might make things more difficult for those that either can't get it due to the lack of a credit card or if they're paranoid about conducting any online transactions.

Especially since in many parts of the world people under 18 don't have a credit card... :(

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 05:58 PM

The expansion won't be out until the 23rd, IIRC. But here's the link on the Paradox forums to the developer diaries about the expansion:

Link (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304791)

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 06:00 PM
Especially since in many parts of the world people under 18 don't have a credit card... :(

That's what I meant. Some of your parents may let you use theirs for the purchase, but few have their own before hitting 18 (my first came at age 16, but that was a special program from CapitalOne designed to give a headstart to building credit).

I get the feeling they'll release it on a CD or DVD eventually anyway.

Maniacal
Aug 04, 2007, 06:03 PM
I don't buy enough stuff to make it worthile to have a credit card yet either. Luckily I can use someone else's.

Mirc
Aug 04, 2007, 06:06 PM
That's what I meant. Some of your parents may let you use theirs for the purchase, but few have their own before hitting 18 (my first came at age 16, but that was a special program from CapitalOne designed to give a headstart to building credit).

I get the feeling they'll release it on a CD or DVD eventually anyway.

Well actually I have a credit card (I needed it for a sponsorship) but it's in Lei (Romanian currency) so I can't pay with it... :(

SuperBeaverInc.
Aug 04, 2007, 07:35 PM
I could get a credit card if I wanted. I've just never gotten around to it. If I do, then EUIII will be the first thing I do with it.

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 10:20 PM
Well actually I have a credit card (I needed it for a sponsorship) but it's in Lei (Romanian currency) so I can't pay with it... :(

Really? I would have thought the price would just be higher to convert it to whatever currency Paradox wants. But I'll bet it'll be available for you one way or another.

Speaking of EU III, I've been having a hunch to do one of those epic story AARs on the Paradox forum. But those things would take up a lot of time, not just in playing and recording, but in writing as well. So I'll probably launch that once I get Napoleon's Ambition (which makes me wish Nobunaga's Ambition made it to the US).

The Yankee
Aug 04, 2007, 10:21 PM
I could get a credit card if I wanted. I've just never gotten around to it. If I do, then EUIII will be the first thing I do with it.

Maybe that'd be the best route for Canadians having trouble finding copies. Even if you do have to eat the cost of shipping. Just find a way to order it off the internets.

Mirc
Aug 05, 2007, 03:11 AM
Really? I would have thought the price would just be higher to convert it to whatever currency Paradox wants. But I'll bet it'll be available for you one way or another.

Speaking of EU III, I've been having a hunch to do one of those epic story AARs on the Paradox forum. But those things would take up a lot of time, not just in playing and recording, but in writing as well. So I'll probably launch that once I get Napoleon's Ambition (which makes me wish Nobunaga's Ambition made it to the US).

Yes, unfortunately the credit card has to be in USD or Euro to be "international". :)

Maniacal
Aug 05, 2007, 02:37 PM
Romania doesn't use Euros?

The Yankee
Aug 05, 2007, 02:51 PM
Romania just joined the European Union this year.

Mirc
Aug 05, 2007, 03:32 PM
Romania doesn't use Euros?

Not yet, but we're going to change after 2010. :) We joined only this year the EU, and no country was ever allowed to change this fast. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Euro_accession.png/600px-Euro_accession.png

The Blue countries use Euro. Cyprus aims to change in 2008, Slovakia in 2009. The rest, later. :) The UK refused to change.

Maniacal
Aug 05, 2007, 03:51 PM
I don't blame the UK, the pound is still one of the strongest currencies. Isn't it worth more than the Euro?

germanicus12
Aug 05, 2007, 03:51 PM
I am surprised that Switzerland hasn't joined yet, considering their location....

They will always remain neutral I suppose.

Maniacal
Aug 05, 2007, 03:57 PM
I am surprised that Switzerland hasn't joined yet, considering their location....

They will always remain neutral I suppose.

And holding everyone's wallet for them :p

The Yankee
Aug 05, 2007, 04:04 PM
Poland's going into the Euro zone? Interesting...

Well, at least it'll make buying from GamersGate easier.

Ulyaoth
Aug 05, 2007, 11:59 PM
What do the other colors mean? I'm guesing yellow means refused to change, but what of the others?

And is Switzerland open to the rest of Europe too? Or do EU citizens need passports to get in too?

Mirc
Aug 06, 2007, 03:32 AM
Switzerland is in the Schengen agreement, but not in the EU, meaning that there is absolutely no border with Switzerland from any of the surrounding countries. And I mean it, no border, just like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/SchengenGrenzeBayern-Tirol.jpg

That's a "border" between Austria and Germany. Which of course means no passports are needed.
What do the other colors mean? I'm guesing yellow means refused to change, but what of the others?

And is Switzerland open to the rest of Europe too? Or do EU citizens need passports to get in too?

I've already explained the colors: Cyprus blue = aims to join in 2008. Slovakia dark red = aims to join in 2009. Green = will join the Euro zone sometime. Yellow = countries with a derogation of Euro Zone participation (Holland uses Euro, but Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles use Aruban florin and Antillean guilder respectively.

Poland's going into the Euro zone? Interesting...

Well, at least it'll make buying from GamersGate easier.

They are aiming for 2012. :) We are aiming for 2013 - 2014.

Maniacal
Aug 06, 2007, 02:40 PM
Lucky you, to get into the US by land it's likea 2 hour wait, I've heard it's even been 4 hours or more during holidays. You will need a passport soon, if not already, it's rediculous.

As such I've only gone in by air or once by a ferry.

demokratickid
Aug 09, 2007, 04:23 PM
If one ever would want to get in to the USA (My home country) Drive to it! If you come from Europe, Africa, Asia etc. try going into Canada via Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottowa etc... then get a rental car and drive to the US, it might be a wee bit more or less expensive, variable dependant of course. But, you get virtually no hassle, just needed a passport. I've driven to Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, and back to my home, cheaper and more hassle-free. Than If I were to fly. Did it once, never, ever, again!

Maniacal
Aug 09, 2007, 08:02 PM
I was talking about the border crossing by Vancouver, so still expect long line ups. Unless you take one of the back country crossings which aren't guarded (not many of those near any big place, and none in BC that I know of) or just drive over it in the paries.

Rental cars are expensive though, so is gas, actualy, transportation of any kind is expensive.

Accomadation is cheap if you bring a tent along and don't mind camping (or rent an RV you rich tenta-phobics).

Flying IS a hassle, I've been to Mexico 10 times, and for most of them we did stop-over flights which are cheaper. I hate the LA airport, never og there. 1 and a half hours to unlead our luggage, and about 5 minutes, maybe less, to get MY bag onto the right plane, but the plane left before we could get to it (and we weren't the only ones).

But flying's still fun.

Wezqu
Aug 12, 2007, 04:19 AM
I've already explained the colors: Cyprus blue = aims to join in 2008. Slovakia dark red = aims to join in 2009. Green = will join the Euro zone sometime. Yellow = countries with a derogation of Euro Zone participation (Holland uses Euro, but Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles use Aruban florin and Antillean guilder respectively.

They are aiming for 2012. :) We are aiming for 2013 - 2014.

You forgot to mention Malta that is also marked to be joining Euro in 2008 as its also purple. Also those countries that are on blue are already members Cyprus is purple like Malta. Little writing mistake you had there.

Also you forgot to mention Estonia in brown that is planning to join in 2010.

Mirc
Aug 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
^ I didn't "forget". I just didn't talk about ALL the countries.

taillesskangaru
Aug 19, 2007, 02:58 AM
*bump*

Sorry to interrupt but I live in Australia and this looks like a cool game where/how I can get it?

Grisu
Aug 19, 2007, 04:19 AM
Switzerland is in the Schengen agreement, but not in the EU, meaning that there is absolutely no border with Switzerland from any of the surrounding countries. And I mean it, no border, just like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/SchengenGrenzeBayern-Tirol.jpg

not quite, we voted for the Schengen agreement, but it's not in place yet (I think it'll be 2008 IIRC). so at the moment you still need identification (usually just the ID-Card) to cross the border (well if they decide to stop you, which they seldom do, usually you just get waved through :)

And holding everyone's wallet for them :p
well, somebody's gotta do the dirty work :mischief

demokratickid
Aug 19, 2007, 10:52 AM
*bump*

Sorry to interrupt but I live in Australia and this looks like a cool game where/how I can get it?

Try onlie, thats where I get all of my games!

Mirc
Aug 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
Here are some of my "unifying" games... Ah I hate not having the full game and having to resign in 1521... :(

Italy (The Papal State):

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Italy01.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Italy02.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Italy03.PNG

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/Italy04.PNG

Germany (Austria):

http://www.fileden.com/files/10668/austria01.PNG

In Germany, I would have been faster, but I had a regency council for about 5 years. :(

Mirc
Sep 06, 2007, 07:21 AM
I have a simple and stupid question: how do you transport land army on water?? :( Sorry about the stupidity of the question, but this is the first time I actually need this...

Kan' Sharuminar
Sep 06, 2007, 07:51 AM
It's a fairly common question actually.

Make sure your transport fleet has the space to hold the army you want shipped overseas, then put it in a water province adjacent to your land force. Simply move the army onto the water province, and they'll load onto the boats :)

Grisu
Sep 06, 2007, 08:51 AM
as an addition, only one ship-type can transport land units. I forgot it's name at the begin of the game, but it's the lowest on the list of available naval units.

Maniacal
Sep 06, 2007, 01:34 PM
Cogs and Fyltes.

I know for cogs you can only put one unit in each boat, and I think it might be the same for Fyltes.

Wezqu
Sep 06, 2007, 01:50 PM
Cogs and Fyltes.

I know for cogs you can only put one unit in each boat, and I think it might be the same for Fyltes.

Its Flute not Fylte and yes you can only carry one regiment in the transport. There really wasn't even a ship large enough to carry more than thousand troops.

Maniacal
Sep 06, 2007, 04:19 PM
THere wasn't even really a ship to carry 1000 troops.

Mirc
Sep 08, 2007, 07:55 AM
I GOT THE FULL VERSION!! :woohoo:

On the other hand, what is Wallachia doing in 1713 inside the Austro-Hungarian Empire? It was never, absolutely never inside the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and yes, I feel offended! [pissed]

Maniacal
Sep 08, 2007, 06:02 PM
I GOT THE FULL VERSION!! :woohoo:

*dumps mIRC into a sink of dishes and steals his copy*

SuperBeaverInc.
Sep 08, 2007, 06:45 PM

*ambushes PS and steals mIRC's copy from him*

Mirc
Sep 08, 2007, 06:48 PM
*ambushes PS and steals mIRC's copy from him*

Never heard of this mIRC guy before... too bad for him. :p

Maniacal
Sep 08, 2007, 09:05 PM
Never heard of this mIRC guy before... too bad for him. :p

*laughs as subi takes the wrong game... and then steals Mirc's copy and pushes him into another sink*

mythmonster2
Sep 09, 2007, 11:39 AM
*laughs as subi takes the wrong game... and then steals Mirc's copy and pushes him into another sink*

*Laughs as I steal PrinceScamp's computer AND the game!* (This was pretty much to subscribe me to this thread. This looks like a cool game!)

Maniacal
Sep 09, 2007, 01:03 PM
*Laughs as I steal PrinceScamp's computer AND the game!* (This was pretty much to subscribe me to this thread. This looks like a cool game!)

You've been able to subscribe to a thread by using the thread tools menu thing for a very lnog time now. And no stealing comptuers! BAD BAD mythmonstor!

mythmonster2
Sep 09, 2007, 05:48 PM
Who's "mythmonstor"? Plus, I dunno, I like posting in threads to subscribe.

sneaky
Sep 22, 2007, 05:45 AM
I have just 'discovered' this game through this thread and am enjoying it very much. So many thanks. :D

But while playing it, I have some trouble with the mouse. It reacts very slow and it's hard to select things. Have some of you perhaps have the same problem, and is there a solution?

Grisu
Oct 15, 2007, 05:55 AM
has anybody got EU3 - Napoleon's Ambition?

Maniacal
Oct 15, 2007, 05:58 AM
I know Captain2 does.

Captain2
Oct 15, 2007, 09:08 PM
yeah I do..... although its getting ignored for the time being, any questions?

and as a side note, anyone have Victoria: Revolutions? this game is driving me nuts since I can't win, all I do is slowly slip from a Great Nation to just Independent

Grisu
Oct 16, 2007, 02:01 AM
yeah I do..... although its getting ignored for the time being, any questions?
not really, I basically answered myself by buying it yesterday....damned Gamersgate is making it much too easy to spend my money :twitch:

and as a side note, anyone have Victoria: Revolutions? this game is driving me nuts since I can't win, all I do is slowly slip from a Great Nation to just Independent
I have it, but haven't played it in some time, though I didn't notice any added difficulties with the expansion. One thing I always made sure, was that I had a Laissez-Faire Party in power.
Then my capitalists would build factories and railroads themselves, giving my good industrial ratings. Just make sure you don't tax them too much, if they have no money to spend the won't :)
What nation are you playing, btw?

Captain2
Oct 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
I've had five games, CSA, USA, Prussia and Russia

In my first prussian game I went to war with denmark over their Gernan territory, Russia invaded me to the french border

second Prussian game I went to war with france and won but suddenly got an unending supply of revolters, to the point I had to quit the game

USA went fine although boring and I never got further than the 4th position

Russia I started out strong and slowly dropped from power to the point of being restricted to internal affairs or else I would be gang beaten

CSA, I've gone from the 6th position to 11th and am currently having budget troubles

Grisu
Oct 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
hmm, I remember the liberal revolution has always been painful in prussia, dunno if that was the reason for your troubles there...

as for the other games. have you had a close eye on your captialists and your industrial development?

The Yankee
Oct 18, 2007, 12:17 AM
I have both Napoleon's Ambition and Revolutions, though, sadly, I haven't had the time to play with either in quite a while.

Grisu
Oct 18, 2007, 05:18 AM
I have to say I quite like the revolution/counter-revolution idea :evil:

RedRalph
Jul 21, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hmm.... this is a great game, although it seems for a lot of the time I'm just sitting there waiting for time to progress.... the fastest speed should be a lot faster IMO. Still working out what I'm actually doing, just wanted to ask, is it really sensible to only stick to wars with causus belli? Its seems you take such a massive hit for rep and stability when you fight an unjustified war that its not really worth it, any opinions on this (bearing in mind I've only had the game 3 days and amnt really sure what I'm doing)

Hitti-Litti
Jul 21, 2008, 05:40 AM
Well, for example if you're playing Spain, and France is having a massive war against England, Austria and many German states, it's worth the reputation and stability hit to take advantage of the situation and conquer Southern France. So, if you have a great opportunity to attack which isn't likely to happen again in some time, attacking is worth it.

Grisu
Jul 21, 2008, 05:41 AM
Hmm.... this is a great game, although it seems for a lot of the time I'm just sitting there waiting for time to progress.... the fastest speed should be a lot faster IMO. Still working out what I'm actually doing, just wanted to ask, is it really sensible to only stick to wars with causus belli? Its seems you take such a massive hit for rep and stability when you fight an unjustified war that its not really worth it, any opinions on this (bearing in mind I've only had the game 3 days and amnt really sure what I'm doing)
the top speed depends a lot on the machine you're using since the AI has to compute quite a few things...furthermore, you can speed the game up if you zoom out to the point where the armies are replaced by flags. But still, yes, unless you're extremely into micromanagement there will be times where you'll just watch the time go bye and your country develop :)

as for the CB stuff. If you're a small nation you can often declare war without a CB since you'll get your stability up quite fast again. If you only stick to wars where you actually have a CB your empire probably won't grow too large....

furthermore, later in the game you may pick ideas that allow you to declare war without stability hits to some nations (different religion, different denomination, different government (NA only), at war with somebody of your religion, etc).

oh, and I always make sure to embrace all "border dispute" events since they give you a CB and a core province against a neighbouring country :evil:

edit: oh, and what Hitti-Litti said :)

RedRalph
Jul 21, 2008, 06:08 AM
OK, thanks for the help lads. also I noticed that the difficulty rating for each country (not the overall difficulty level), seems simply to be based on how much land and soldiers you have, taking little account of your situation. Is this the case? As I've said I still havent really worked out what I'm doing (playing on Very easy level), but I was thinking earlier today a reasonable tactic early on is to fight easy wars to build up your size as much as possible, put big funding into land, production and stability and try and keep a half decent rep until you can compete with the big boys (unless you are one of the big boys). this is my strategy for a game I plan later playing as Prussia, is it a sound one?

I appreciate the help, cause I know helping newbies isnt exactly fun for vets

Hitti-Litti
Jul 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well, it depends on your choice of AI aggressiveness. If you choose something like Coward or Weakling, your plan may work. But if you choose for example Aggressive, you're likely to get attacked while fighting on another frontier.

RedRalph
Jul 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, didnt even realise you could set AI aggressive. cheers.

Grisu
Jul 21, 2008, 09:48 AM
Well, it depends on your choice of AI aggressiveness. If you choose something like Coward or Weakling, your plan may work. But if you choose for example Aggressive, you're likely to get attacked while fighting on another frontier.
yeah, backstabbing bastards that they are ;)

but generally, I employ the same tactic...pick the wars I know I can win..and try not to lose those where I'm attacked...maybe get yourself a powerful ally to watch your back :)

RedRalph
Jul 21, 2008, 09:56 AM
yeah, backstabbing bastards that they are ;)

but generally, I employ the same tactic...pick the wars I know I can win..and try not to lose those where I'm attacked...maybe get yourself a powerful ally to watch your back :)

Yeah thats the plan alright. I'm thinking possibly Poland or Russia. Might have to butter them up a bit first though

Hitti-Litti
Jul 21, 2008, 01:12 PM
Try to get Russia as your ally, as Poland might get beaten by Austria or even Ottomans. Sweden may attack Russia, but then you could disembark your troops to Stockholm. :D

Grisu
Jul 22, 2008, 03:32 AM
Try to get Russia as your ally, as Poland might get beaten by Austria or even Ottomans. Sweden may attack Russia, but then you could disembark your troops to Stockholm. :D
Indeed, if Russia exists, it's usually the stronger ally, but in my games they almost never form :hmm:

and then beat the enemy into submission :hammer:

RedRalph
Jul 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
I did. Played the game out, conquered more or less everything west of the Rhine, (bar Koln and one or two others) having Russia as an alloy was extremely helpful, when Poland attacked me I was able to keep all of Eastern Prussia and gain Danzig even though they had a huge army. finished 2nd, though I dont really care where I finish, its the fun that matters

Hitti-Litti
Jul 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
If you want challenge, set difficulty to Very Hard, but leave AI aggressiveness to Coward or Weakling. That way you get an AI that plays well, but doesn't attack recklessly. With those settings, even big countries are quite challenging.

Ulyaoth
Jul 23, 2008, 12:14 AM
Can someone tell me if the AI actually accepts peace in IN? I was playing vanilla again just to try it out again, as England, basically just ran my army in that southern province right out and north to Paris and took that, made peace with France right away for a few gold things I think, then turned on Brittany and vassalized them, then brought all my armies home to sit and recouperate and research a bit.

Then France declared war on me again and had like 20 allies, most were just their vassals but they also had Norway and some German places and Scotland, and I didn't have the army to do any offensive fighting especially considering France had 40,000 troops already somehow when I was going broke with just 17,000(does the AI cheat that much or is France with only half of France just get that much money somehow?) They also had 16 carracks, so the second they declared war my navy of 9 cogs and 1 carrack was instatnly destroyed and they flooded the south with armies.

Of course my few allies didn't help me even though my prestige was only slightly tarnished(I also don't get that, the more your prestige goes up the worse you're percieved? And just by sitting there doing nothing I become an evil rogue nation?) Yet all France's allies helped them even though they're "looked down upon".

Anyway, my point is, Instantly I made peace with France just giving them the province in the south but they wouldn't accept. Then I just gave them every possible thing I could give them without making myself broke, still wouldn't accept. So I got pissed off and saved, reloaded as France and tried everything possible to get peace with England as France, they wouldn't accept then, I tried giving them white peace, releaing vassals, giving them normandy, giving up cores, giving them 400 gold, tried demanding tons of crap from them, nothing would get peace.

Is the diplomacy and AI still as ridiculous as that in IN? Or should I just go get CK or Vicky or HoI2 or something? Or are all those just as bad as well with diplomacy and AI stupidity?

Paradox should focus completely on AI on whatever their next game is.

Grisu
Jul 23, 2008, 03:20 AM
Can someone tell me if the AI actually accepts peace in IN? I was playing vanilla again just to try it out again, as England, basically just ran my army in that southern province right out and north to Paris and took that, made peace with France right away for a few gold things I think, then turned on Brittany and vassalized them, then brought all my armies home to sit and recouperate and research a bit.
if you're england you'll almost constantly be at war with france until they have their mainland provinces back or are beaten into submission....I usually just gave them their provincesn (for a price) and waited until I was stronger to take them on....

Whether they are prepared to make peace in IN depends a lot on the war-capability...have a look at that percentage rating in the war overview....as long as that number is high, it'll be hard to make peace...

Of course my few allies didn't help me even though my prestige was only slightly tarnished(I also don't get that, the more your prestige goes up the worse you're percieved? And just by sitting there doing nothing I become an evil rogue nation?) Yet all France's allies helped them even though they're "looked down upon".
I think you're mixing up your reputation with prestige....Prestige is all good, giving you positive effects (better diplomacy, leadership in wars, etc). Reputation is bad the higher it gets...you build it up by taking foreign provinces, etc....

As for France's allies...most of them are their vassals, and IIRC vassals pretty much always honour their alliance :)

Anyway, my point is, Instantly I made peace with France just giving them the province in the south but they wouldn't accept. Then I just gave them every possible thing I could give them without making myself broke, still wouldn't accept. So I got pissed off and saved, reloaded as France and tried everything possible to get peace with England as France, they wouldn't accept then, I tried giving them white peace, releaing vassals, giving them normandy, giving up cores, giving them 400 gold, tried demanding tons of crap from them, nothing would get peace.
often the AI won't accept any peace right after the war started...you should wait a bit to let the war weariness build up, etc...

Is the diplomacy and AI still as ridiculous as that in IN? Or should I just go get CK or Vicky or HoI2 or something? Or are all those just as bad as well with diplomacy and AI stupidity?

Paradox should focus completely on AI on whatever their next game is.
once you get the hang of it it's not really that stupid, IMHO. sure it sometimes acts strange but all in all the AI is rather good, as far as I can tell.

Ulyaoth
Jul 23, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm only playing vanilla, I don't have that war capability thing. I was asking if it gets better in IN to be worth getting it or if I should just foget it.

Grisu
Jul 24, 2008, 04:45 AM
I'm only playing vanilla, I don't have that war capability thing. I was asking if it gets better in IN to be worth getting it or if I should just foget it.
ah sorry, I seem to have misunderstood your post....I can't really remember vanilla EU3 that well, when it comes to peace making, but it works for me in IN, so I guess it was improved...and the war-capability is a nice thing to judge the readiness of your enemy :)

Mirc
Jul 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have a pretty stupid question - I just started again to play EU3.

However, I have something like 200 savegames... and I have no clue from the name about which one is the last save. I remember I used to play often enough to be able to remember what the last save was, but after a few months, I tried and I have no chance at doing that.

How can I find out what my latest save was, apart from loading each and every single one of them?

Ulyaoth
Jul 26, 2008, 03:13 PM
They have the date in game on them don't they? Guess you'll just have to pick from that.

And I just loaded a save a year or two back from where France declared war, built some more boats and troops, they declared war later and didn't have any allies this time other than their vassals and I had Scotland as ally actually. I vassalized Ulster instead of annexing them this time, and took Munster nistead of letting Leinster take it(I was allied with them) then later vassalized Leinster when they tried to attack Ulster, so I had all Ireland vassalized or under my control already, but still after 10 years the chance for annexing was impossible on Ulster and Leinster's relations wouldn't go up at all.

In the war aginst France, while France had a lot more Carracks still I had 4 and a good admiral when they declared war, within a year I'd stolen 5 of their carracks a bunch of cogs, so they had no chance of invading, I destroyed whatever other boats they had(a bunch more carracks and cogs, they had a huge navy) so I invaded with all my troops through Brittany who wasn't at war so I was safe hiding in there to launch attacks from, I took every province bordering Britany's but of course only had a 15% warscore even after taking Gascogne back, and a huge French army was coming that would destroy mine so I had to settled with France ceding their cores on Calais, Gascogne, and 2 of Brittany's provinces.

A few years later Burgundy declared war, and I just couldn't beat their armies for some reason, I outnumbered them and had good generals, but my armies just got routed within a few days and lost like half its numbers, so I had to take all my armies back to England and wait til I upgraded my army to men at arms(they already had them, are Men at arms that much stronger than the original?) Also, they had 25 god damn Carracks and destroyed my navy except for 2 carracks and 5 cogs, so I was defenseless until I got some more built later and started eating away at their navy til practically nothing was left. I upgraded my armies to men at arms, invaded again, took every sea connected province Brittany had(burgundy went to war with France over the crown of Cyprus, they seemed to be beating each other up pretty good so I had plenty of free time to siege) but still, no war score, had to settle with some money and ceding core on Calais, so at least I've got the only core on Calais now, but still.

I annexed Brittany, and right away France declared war on me and I quit after seeing they had a massive army again after that big war with Burgundy they had. How much does the damn AI cheat? Most of Europe is between like 6 main factions now while I haven't been able to take anything other than some crap provinces, since I'm freaking poor as hell. Also, every faction has like 10 more techs than me, how do they research so fast?

Mirc
Jul 26, 2008, 03:20 PM
They have the date in game on them don't they? Guess you'll just have to pick from that.

Yeah but on this computer, with so many programs on it, it takes more than a minute for the game to load the map of ONE save in the "load game" menu (so before actually loading the save itself). It will take me several hours to check them all, but I guess I could narrow it down from the name to only checking something like 1/3 of them.

sirtommygunn
Jul 26, 2008, 06:09 PM
Im having problem with Sweden while playing as England. For some reason, no matter what I have i always lose. I have a ton of men, a good general, high morale, better land tech, better troops and better rolls yet I still get about 50 casualties for every one of his I kill. Can somebody please explain any possible reason as to why im losing?

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
How can I find out what my latest save was, apart from loading each and every single one of them?

I'm assuming you don't have autosave on, that would narrow it down quickly?

I'm not sure how to find the answer in-game, but what about going into the EU3 save folder and arranging the files by date modified?

Mirc
Jul 27, 2008, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure how to find the answer in-game, but what about going into the EU3 save folder and arranging the files by date modified?

That worked perfectly!! Thanks a lot. It was such a simple but effective idea!! :D I can't believe the idea hasn't occurred to me. :hammer2: Thanks! :thanx:

Apparently, the last save has a name I would have never thought that I gave it, but I recognize the world's situation (me being hated throughout the world, at war with 8 countries at the same time but #1 in everything).

RedRalph
Jul 29, 2008, 03:41 AM
Some observations about this game:

Good:
I love the financial system, the army management, and the dynamic leadership.

Diplomatic options are great, although the screen that indicates the likelyhood of a proposals being accepted seems to be wrong most of the time.

level of MM is perfect

Random events are interesting, happen at about the right frequency and are balanced.

bad:
stability should have more than 7 possible levels. unless you have a casus belli its very rarely worth going to war if you dont have great stability advisors. I'd like to see it go from -5 to +5.

At some stages in the game there are no decent advisors for decades. this is a bit of a pain as it means if you get stuck in this situation you are basically screwed.

the "gain core" event should happen mroe often, as I said, some nations practically never have a causus belli but are going to get swallowed up if they dont try to expand. you shouldnt get such a big hit for declaring war. IMO, having very bad relations with a neighbour should count as a CB.

worst of all: an army which you have just defeated should NOT be able to march straight on to your territory. Lets say you are playing as Austria, and give a Bohemian army a hiding at Wien. they shouldnt be able to march straight from there into another one of your territories but should have to retreat to their own.

dont get me wrong, I havent been this engrossed in a game since BtS came out. I just find a few of the above really frustrating. also the not being able to annex issue, I just dont get it.

Mirc
Jul 29, 2008, 05:26 AM
I also hate that thing that you mentioned, with not being able to annex unless it's their last province... I mean come on, I have an empire with 250+ provinces, I'm fighting a backwards Mali army that has only 2 provinces, but no, I can't annex them, because it's not their last province. :crazyeye:

(this just happened to me)

Also, I hate that the sum of all provinces' percentage in war is not equal to 100%. So, I'm in a war against the Mamluks........ they have no army left, all provinces controlled by me, but I can't even get 4 provinces out of the 30 that I control, because they alone are worth 104% (with Alexandria being worth as much as 58% :eek:).

RedRalph
Jul 29, 2008, 05:40 AM
This is the thing I dont understand though: sometimes even when I have occupied every single provence of a country, they have no army, no war allies, I still cant annex them. why? 100% warscore, and I still cant. i only got this game a week ago so I could be missing something very obvious, if I am please point it out to me!

Kan' Sharuminar
Jul 29, 2008, 06:11 AM
worst of all: an army which you have just defeated should NOT be able to march straight on to your territory. Lets say you are playing as Austria, and give a Bohemian army a hiding at Wien. they shouldnt be able to march straight from there into another one of your territories but should have to retreat to their own.

This probably bothers me the most as well. It's annoying when you've completely encircled an enemy army and they're bouncing back and forth off of every one of them until they're out of men. Maybe some sort of 'offer surrender' option for an army in your territory, could add some additional options to the peace treaty, such as ransoming/offering the army or leaders back.

Also, I hate that the sum of all provinces' percentage in war is not equal to 100%. So, I'm in a war against the Mamluks........ they have no army left, all provinces controlled by me, but I can't even get 4 provinces out of the 30 that I control, because they alone are worth 104% (with Alexandria being worth as much as 58% :eek:).

It feels much worse in EU:Rome, but I think they're fixing it for the next patch where percentages varies depending on the size of nation controlling it.

Isn't Alexandria a CoT though? It doesn't surprise me it's so high a percentage then :)

RedRalph
Jul 29, 2008, 07:16 AM
This probably bothers me the most as well. It's annoying when you've completely encircled an enemy army and they're bouncing back and forth off of every one of them until they're out of men. Maybe some sort of 'offer surrender' option for an army in your territory, could add some additional options to the peace treaty, such as ransoming/offering the army or leaders back.

I think a good solution would be to let them move on to your territory if thyey want, but not be able to lay siege to it, maybe for a certain amount of time or until they reach a certain level of strength?

Mirc
Jul 29, 2008, 08:07 AM
This is the thing I dont understand though: sometimes even when I have occupied every single provence of a country, they have no army, no war allies, I still cant annex them. why? 100% warscore, and I still cant. i only got this game a week ago so I could be missing something very obvious, if I am please point it out to me!
You can only annex 1-province countries.

So they must have only 1 province left. So first, you must take all the other provinces in a peace treaty, and only after that you can annex them by taking the capital, in another war! I know, very annoying. Which means waiting a lot for the truce to expire, or breaking the truce which will destroy your stability (-5 :eek:)

It feels much worse in EU:Rome, but I think they're fixing it for the next patch where percentages varies depending on the size of nation controlling it.

Isn't Alexandria a CoT though? It doesn't surprise me it's so high a percentage then :)

You are right, I just remembered that it is a CoT after writing that. :) But still, only being able to annex 3 provinces after completely destroying the military of a country is very unrealistic.

At least I managed to take control of a strip of provinces on the Eastern Mediterranean, after 2 wars (I had already destroyed the Ottomans long ago, and conquered most of Italy and North-Western Africa, so now I'm struggling to get to control all the Mediterranean east of France. Which I managed, except for some tiny island countries left around Greece.

Now my empire stretches from Scandinavia (Sweden was foolish enough to declare war on me, while I was allied with Muscovy - the result being that we divided Sweden among us, I took the south-west and Muscovy took the far north and the east - Finland) through all of Poland-Lithuania, through all of the Balkans (except for Ragusa, which I've only kept because it's pretty worthless and they have been allied with me for the past 70 years or so, having a relation of +198 with me), together with all of Hungary, Turkey, (most of) Italy, North Africa and now the Eastern Mediterranean. Austria is still strong enough not to be worth declaring war against it. Together with my colonial holdings in North America and a bit in Africa (after 2 wars with the backwards Mali), I have a total of 257 provinces now. :D

RedRalph
Jul 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
Jesus... Mirc your post frightens me!!! Here I am, admittedly a newbie, thinking I'm doing great as Austria because I have about 20 provinces!! and this is on easy setting. I still have a lot to learn though...

Thanks for explaining about the annexation. Frankly I dont think its a very sensible feature but I'l learn to deal with it.

I got caught in a game as Brandenburg the other day where for over 100 years there were no decent advisors available at all. all one star theoligans or reputation improvers. Was this just appallingly bad luck or is there some way I had brought this on myself?

Mirc
Jul 29, 2008, 09:38 AM
Don't worry, it took me a crazy amount of hours to get to this point in this game. But I've been playing this game (not EU3, I mean this "save") pretty much ever since about 1 week after I got EU3, so I learned with it. My first 5 years were without any advisors at all. :p Because I didn't know how to use them.

I started with one of the weakest states out there, but I had an AMAZING luck in the beginning which made me go on and think 3 times before any decision (basically, twice in a row, Europe's big powers teamed up against exactly the country that I was at war with. That's an amazing luck).

Now I think I could eliminate any power of the game, although the Al Koyunlu with their almost 100 provinces are scary (they have pretty much all of the middle east, save for the Arabian Peninsula which is mostly Mamluk right now).

Now I'm planning at conquering the Inca, although it's very hard even just to discover their whole territory... my armies are dying of attrition all the time. I got from 40k troops to 1200 in two months. :( If I manage, I'll control all the important parts of America (Mexico and the southern US, middle America, and most of the south). Portugal expanded crazily fast in Canada (they already have almost all of the Canada that's not permanent terra incognita :eek:) and conquered half of Castille, so they are a big power in my game.

RedRalph
Jul 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
How long (in hours) does a game from 1453 to the end (in vanilla) take you? Seems to me like I would be playing that for weeks and weeks...

Mirc
Jul 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well in a way I told you that already... I started this game a bit after I got EUIII, and still haven't finished it (but keep in mind that my "job" of being a guitar player requires me to leave for long periods of time, and playing computer games is the last thing on my mind then). So I haven't yet "finished" any game from start to end, as in, starting in 1453 and going on with it until the time runs out. :) I've only finished one game when I started as Russia only 10 years before the time ran out, to try to challenge myself to conquer as much as possible, starting with a monster country near the "end of time". That took something like 8 hours total, but I'm sure it's not exactly the answer you were looking for. ;)

Then again, I've never played EU3 regularly. I'm sure there were periods when I was playing it 5 hours a day, for about 3 days in a row, and periods of weeks when I haven't been playing it at all.

RedRalph
Jul 31, 2008, 07:08 AM
One more question: How do you unify a country? What provences do I need to control to create Germany? Do I have to play as Prussia to do this?

Incidentally, is it incredibly difficult to do anyhting with Prussia? their starting position seems appallingly difficultto go anywhere with unless Poland and Lithuania get a massive attack by someone else...

Rossiya
Jul 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
In EU2, for what it's worth talking about that in a thread of EU3, it was practically impossible to unify Germany. You needed to own a stupid amount of provinces, have a stupid amount of vassals, and have a stupidly low boybad.

GoodGame
Aug 01, 2008, 08:34 AM
Is there anyway around the merchant micromanagement? Repeatedly sending merchants is really a bad play mechanic. Does Victoria handle that stuff better?

RedRalph
Aug 01, 2008, 09:15 AM
Is there anyway around the merchant micromanagement? Repeatedly sending merchants is really a bad play mechanic. Does Victoria handle that stuff better?

Yeah its a pain, but in one of the XPs you can set it to auto AFAIK

Rossiya
Aug 01, 2008, 09:47 AM

Yes. You can put practically the whole economy on auto-pilot.

Serutan
Aug 02, 2008, 11:17 PM
One more question: How do you unify a country? What provences do I need to control to create Germany? Do I have to play as Prussia to do this?

No. Your country has to be in one of the 4(?) German culture groups. This
includes Prussia, Brandenburg, Saxony, Brunswick, and several of the one
province states. If you want the gory details, look here (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page). I have been able to form Great Britain and Russia in my games; I'm sort of cycling through 4 countries (England, Portugal, France (my learning game), and Muscovy).

Incidentally, is it incredibly difficult to do anyhting with Prussia? their starting position seems appallingly difficultto go anywhere with unless Poland and Lithuania get a massive attack by someone else...

Sorry, can't answer that one. But I would think any of the German states would have their problems at the beginning.

I've heard that the In Nomine expansion gets rid of some the the "ping pong" effect with defeated armies, by eliminating armies whose morale hits 0 (even if they still have manpower).

Serutan
Aug 02, 2008, 11:23 PM
Indeed, if Russia exists, it's usually the stronger ally, but in my games they almost never form :hmm:

In my non-Muscovy games, Lithuania seems to wax both Moskva and
Novgorod, so Russia never has a chance to form.

Ace of Gold
Aug 04, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hey,

Does this game take a long time to load. It took 5 minutes for the game to load for me.

Civ 4 only takes like 15 seconds

I have 2G ram and 256mb nvidia graphics. My processor is 2.0.

Is my version messed up or does it take a long time to load with every copy

Harbringer
Aug 04, 2008, 01:16 AM
Your Gcard is really slow and your processor is as well, your ram however is fine. I have a quad core, but the game still only utilizes 4.8 hurts worth of cores, 4 gigs of ram and a 1.5 gig 8800 GT and the game loads in about five seconds for me, sometimes ten on the bigger more cluttered games.

GoodGame
Aug 04, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have a 256mB gfx card and 2gb as well. My main difference is 3.0ghz prescott over a 2ghz. I'd say it does take a good minute or two to load, but not 5.

Harbringer
Aug 04, 2008, 10:47 PM
In a game like this, theres not a whole lot of rendering, and 1.5 gigs of ram should do the job just fine, while 2 should be down rite plenty. The main issue though is that because of all the schmack the game is severely processor intensive, another issue however when loading is that the game isn't like most games, when you save your not just saving a few positions and variables, there are all kinds of variables and calculations that the game has to store and put in place when you load the game, so naturally this is the kind of game that can be expected to take a very long time to load.

TheDS
Oct 03, 2008, 01:24 PM
You're probably using Vista.

I installed to a Vista machine, took FOREVER to do anything. Wiped Vista, put XP on it, reinstalled, and it played just fine. Too bad the game is a waste of money, they made a few interesting improvements, but quite a few degradations that render the game pretty much unplayable. Woulda been nice to find this out on hardware older than yesterday's; it's not like this game really NEEDS a world-beating graphics engine.

Icekommander
Oct 10, 2008, 09:41 PM
First, I'm too lazy to go looking through 25 pages of thread for a chance at answers, so I apologize if this has been asked before. I'm looking for another strategy game, sorta like civ, but more economic and building. Is this a good game for that?

taillesskangaru
Oct 11, 2008, 05:54 AM
Yep, yep, although a LOT more complex.

SuperBeaverInc.
Oct 11, 2008, 01:31 PM
I finally got EUIII. I'm not sure what took me so long. I was going to get it when it came out, by its release got messed up in Canada. And for some reason I hadn't gotten it online until a few days ago.

Maniacal
Oct 11, 2008, 02:37 PM
I actually saw it at an EBGames last year. It was a returned copy though so I didn't buy it (also I was in dire need of dress clothing for job interviews iirc).

Grisu
Oct 14, 2008, 04:43 AM
I finally got EUIII. I'm not sure what took me so long. I was going to get it when it came out, by its release got messed up in Canada. And for some reason I hadn't gotten it online until a few days ago.
just EU3 without the expansions? you do realize that the Complete set is scheduled to be released today?

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=427&Itemid=129

Ulyaoth
Oct 14, 2008, 11:25 AM
That's out today? I thought it wasn't coming out til Friday for some reason, is it in stores? I got the impression it was only being sold online.

Dachs
Oct 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
That's out today? I thought it wasn't coming out til Friday for some reason, is it in stores? I got the impression it was only being sold online.
In the US, I think it's releasing on the 17th. That's when mine is being delivered, anyway, with same-day delivery. :)

ComradeDavo
Oct 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
Decided to finally finish off a game I started a few months ago.

My French Empire, EU3 with In Nomine!

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5087/frenchempireeu3vy4.png

Chukchi Husky
Oct 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm saving up for a new computer, which should be by just before Christmas. Maybe I could get the complete version of the game for Christmas.

Shylock
Oct 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
Decided to finally finish off a game I started a few months ago.

My French Empire, EU3 with In Nomine!

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5087/frenchempireeu3vy4.png

Your BB rating must be through the roof.

SuperBeaverInc.
Oct 16, 2008, 01:19 AM
I know that AGCEEP was the must have mod for EU2. Is there any mod for EUIII that is must have like AGCEEP was?

ComradeDavo
Oct 16, 2008, 06:16 AM
Your BB rating must be through the roof.
''We are hated throughout the entire world'' :D

Either -199 or -200 relation with everyone, including my vassels:lol:

But at the end of the game I was ranked #1st with 100 prestige and ''We are the greatest'':D

Grisu
Oct 17, 2008, 01:34 AM
I know that AGCEEP was the must have mod for EU2. Is there any mod for EUIII that is must have like AGCEEP was?
There's Magna Mundi, but frankly I've never really played it.

aronnax
Oct 17, 2008, 09:47 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3402/europefp6.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2514/americapf7.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8075/portugalcb8.png (http://imageshack.us)

Somewhat noobish, but this is my third serious try at the game and my first without doing any cheating.

How is it?

Dachs
Oct 17, 2008, 11:50 PM
In 1544? Compared to OTL, anyway, it's ridiculous. I wouldn't have a benchmark, because my EU III bundled with NA and IN had its release delayed by a week by Paradox.

Aaaargghhhhh...