View Full Version : New Civilization: Wales

esnaz
Feb 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
Note: the info below is for Wales for BTS, the info for Wales for Warlords can be found on the FilePlanet link (download link)

Leader: Llywelyn the Great
Unique Unit: Welsh Longbowman (replaces Longbowman)
Unique Building: Caer (replaces Castle) i

Cities:
Caerdydd
Bangor
Abertawe
Casnewydd
Tyddewi
Caernarfon
Machynlleth...

Download Link for BTS: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7864

Download Link for Warlords:http://www.fileplanet.com/174418/170000/fileinfo/New-Civilization:-Wales

esnaz
Feb 21, 2007, 04:56 PM
Happy Downloading!

Mozza
Feb 22, 2007, 06:33 AM
No Pontypool, someone's gonna get upset.

esnaz
Feb 22, 2007, 04:03 PM
okay, thanks!...?

Corvex
Feb 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
Your Llywelyn is a very nice reskin; I hardly recognize it at all.

Verjil
Feb 28, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks, mate.
Downloading at the moment - Comments soon.

Figaro
Jun 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
(apologies for the possibly unneccessary bump...)

Great job! Finally, a decent Wales civ. Although, Cardiff shouldn't really be the capital - Cardiff only became the capital in the 20th Century (1905 I think) and in fact before the industrial revolution was nothing more than a small town with a fairly nifty castle; it didn't become a truly significant place until long after Wales was no longer an independent nation. Ditto Swansea, Newport, Barry & others.

Various places were used as centers of government over the years, by different rulers, but in medieval times the largest and most important town was probably Caerfyrddin. Other important places would have included Harlech, Aberffraw, Machynlleth & others, mostly only small towns or villages today.

6underground
Jul 21, 2007, 03:18 AM
Sweet!!! Thanks/Bendigedig!

Various places were used as centers of government over the years, by different rulers, but in medieval times the largest and most important town was probably Caerfyrddin. Other important places would have included Harlech, Aberffraw, Machynlleth & others, mostly only small towns or villages today.

I'd hazard to say that out of all those listed, the only REAL subsitute for Cardiff,would have been Machynlleth (simply because of Owain Glyndŵrs Parliament). That said, I think the Capital should remain "Caerdydd" largely because, it's the most densely populated city in all of Wales, far larger than any other. (You are of course welcome to disagree).

One suggestion though, Esnaz, I reckon you should have had the settlements in Welsh, rather than English. It makes them far more culturally unique. :)

Cardiff - Caerdydd
Swansea - Abertawe
Newport - Casnewydd [yn wysg] (sp?)
Merthyr Tidfil - Merthyr Tyfil
Barry - Barri
Port Talbot - Not fluent enough, to know the translation i'm afraid, other Welshies know?
Cwmbran... - Cŵmbran

There are Northern/Gog cities too?

Like:

Aberystwyth
Bangor
Llandudno
Llanfair
Harlech?

Muttoneer
Jul 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
This looks good to me! Thanks for putting this together :)

I would make a couple of suggestions on the city names though. I agree with 6underground that Welsh language names are more appropriate. Also, Port Talbot and Cwmbran are quite new towns so I'd put them quite far down your list. Cwmbran as we know it today is a "New Town", largely planned in the 20th century.

Although Cardiff/Caerdydd is only the modern capital I think its the most recognisable city to be the capital in the game.

Here's a list that might work, starting with the five "cities" that exist in modern Wales:
Caerdydd, Bangor, Abertawe, Casnewydd, Tyddewi*, Caernarfon, Machynlleth, Caerfyrddin, Conwy, Penffro, Aberteifi, Caerffili, Aberhonddu, Rhuddlan, Hwlffordd, Dinbych, Fflint, Cricieth, Caergybi, Aberystwyth, Llandudno, Wrecsam, Barri, Aberafan**, Cwmbran, Merthyr Tudful, Ebbw Vale, Blaenau

* St Davids
* Port Talbot

You might also want to consider Garth Celyn as a city name, as it was the home of the Princes of Wales before the English conquest.

Hope that helps.
M.

orinsul
Jul 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
Owain Glyn Dwr forever, if i have to re name it.
Dont worry bout city names there simple enough to change in game if you want to and cardiffs a fine town to be going on with.
Good mod. thanks mate.

esnaz
Aug 05, 2007, 09:54 PM
Just got back to the game

Thanks for the suggestions, I should have done that, but I'm probably not going to release a second Wales mod

Gwil
Aug 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
How could one change the flag to be the modern Wales flag also? I must have a crack at modding.

coachlentz
Aug 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
How could one change the flag to be the modern Wales flag also? I must have a crack at modding.

find a copy of a wales flag, scale it down to the proper sizes, then save them as .dds files

Gwil
Sep 02, 2007, 02:14 PM
THis doesn't work for BtS - would it work if I were to use another modular template and alter the details as appropriate? It's for personal use, but if it were to work i'd be happy to share it and credit it to esnaz.

I also will edit the flag and city names to Welsh.

orinsul
Sep 02, 2007, 06:23 PM
it would work but itd be quite some work.
If you do update it id be glad if you could post it here
im currently working with a copy and pasted the names on top of a copy of the celts bts version of the mod

esnaz
Sep 03, 2007, 01:30 PM
it would work but itd be quite some work.
If you do update it id be glad if you could post it here
im currently working with a copy and pasted the names on top of a copy of the celts bts version of the mod

THis doesn't work for BtS - would it work if I were to use another modular template and alter the details as appropriate? It's for personal use, but if it were to work i'd be happy to share it and credit it to esnaz.

I also will edit the flag and city names to Welsh.

I don't think I'm going to release a BTS version, perhaps if I get around to it, but i'm currently behind on some work due to computer difficulties :mad:

welshdragon_93
Oct 14, 2007, 08:49 AM
Bendigedig,Diolch!, only problem is i dont live in America?!, so how do I download it? :- 0

Aeven
Oct 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
I don't believe downloading is limited to U.S. citizens...

NikNaks
Oct 14, 2007, 04:36 PM
I could download it...

Anyway, if no-one's going to complain, I'll update this to BtS during the week. If there are any other leader suggestions, I'll try to add them in.

esnaz
Oct 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
I could download it...

Anyway, if no-one's going to complain, I'll update this to BtS during the week. If there are any other leader suggestions, I'll try to add them in.

I already have, I'm releasing it with a couple of other civs I'm doing, plus it will be in Civgold, for BTS I think

NikNaks
Oct 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
Awesome! Less work for me :p

Gwil
Oct 17, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yes good news indeed! I will still edit the city names to the true Welsh I reckon though :) I never got started on this, got dragged into working for my university newsletters o_O

esnaz
Oct 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yes good news indeed! I will still edit the city names to the true Welsh I reckon though :) I never got started on this, got dragged into working for my university newsletters o_O

Better news, I actually have put the city names in welsh (Based on the posts on this thread)

Gwil
Oct 18, 2007, 09:33 AM
All hail esnaz, our new King!

:D

Gwil
Oct 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
Any news esnaz? Im champing at the bit for the completed BtS version. Many cookies to be mailed to you when completed!!

esnaz
Oct 26, 2007, 08:46 PM
I'll try to release it as a standalone as soon as I can.

Welshdragon
Dec 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Owain Glyndwr- I have a VERY VERY VERY long back family line related to Him!

esnaz
Dec 20, 2007, 07:25 PM
Owain Glyndwr- I have a VERY VERY VERY long back family line related to Him!

wow, that's very cool! And btw, I completely forgot about a BTS version!!! I have it done, just not loaded onto the file DB...wow, i'll to that ASAP...sorry everyone! :(

esnaz
Dec 20, 2007, 08:11 PM
BTS version added, see front page for download link and information

tommybabs
Jan 11, 2008, 03:37 AM
This looks good to me! Thanks for putting this together :)

I would make a couple of suggestions on the city names though. I agree with 6underground that Welsh language names are more appropriate. Also, Port Talbot and Cwmbran are quite new towns so I'd put them quite far down your list. Cwmbran as we know it today is a "New Town", largely planned in the 20th century.

Although Cardiff/Caerdydd is only the modern capital I think its the most recognisable city to be the capital in the game.

Here's a list that might work, starting with the five "cities" that exist in modern Wales:
Caerdydd, Bangor, Abertawe, Casnewydd, Tyddewi*, Caernarfon, Machynlleth, Caerfyrddin, Conwy, Penffro, Aberteifi, Caerffili, Aberhonddu, Rhuddlan, Hwlffordd, Dinbych, Fflint, Cricieth, Caergybi, Aberystwyth, Llandudno, Wrecsam, Barri, Aberafan**, Cwmbran, Merthyr Tudful, Ebbw Vale, Blaenau

* St Davids
* Port Talbot

You might also want to consider Garth Celyn as a city name, as it was the home of the Princes of Wales before the English conquest.

Hope that helps.
M.

Port Talbot is indeed relatively modern - perhas Margam might be a better shout? Though I would love to play a game with Port Talbot as a city... :crazyeye:

As long as it doesn't turn out like Fairfield... ;) (in-joke for anyone from Neath/Swansea/PT)!

esnaz
Jan 11, 2008, 06:46 AM
Port Talbot is indeed relatively modern - perhas Margam might be a better shout? Though I would love to play a game with Port Talbot as a city... :crazyeye:

As long as it doesn't turn out like Fairfield... ;) (in-joke for anyone from Neath/Swansea/PT)!

For the BTS version and for the Wales in Esnaz's Mod, I used this city list:
Caerdydd
Bangor
Abertawe
Casnewydd
Tyddewi
Caernarfon
Machynlleth
Caerfyrddin
Conwy
Penffro
Aberteifi
Caerffili
Aberhonddu
Rhuddlan
Hwlffordd
Dinbych
Fflint
Cricieth
Caergybi
Aberystwyth
Llandudno
Wrecsam
Barry
Aberafan
Cwmbran
Merthyr Tudful
Ebbw Vale
Blaenau

troytheface
Jan 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
Looks as good as any Civ in the game. Nice job
In all your civ's you seem to understand UU balance.

esnaz
Jan 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
Looks as good as any Civ in the game. Nice job
In all your civ's you seem to understand UU balance.

That's the first time I've heard that, thanks :D

troytheface
Jan 12, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have a request for a Trojan Empire and Balearic Empire on the last page of the Civ request thread if your looking for another civ to make. Downloaded that 14 civ mod and its really good- like the Hittites and the idea of playing your own unique Civ.

Welshdragon
Jan 13, 2008, 07:50 AM
Blaenavon (Welsh; Blaenafon should be included as that is where the Ironworks are on the Wonders, I should know as I live there

Welshdragon
Jan 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
troytheface, i'll try to make a map of it if you tell me what size you need the map, then anyone could do what they want with it?

(Sorry for interupting esnaz' post)

troytheface
Jan 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
they are just individual civ suggestions, no map necessary.
Esnaz's Civ's all load easily and look just like ingame civs.

esnaz
Jan 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
Blaenavon (Welsh; Blaenafon should be included as that is where the Ironworks are on the Wonders, I should know as I live there

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to the city list, if thats what you meant

aragogthebest
Sep 30, 2009, 11:06 AM
is this for 3.19 bts and could i use it in my upcominig mod

Androrc the Orc
Oct 02, 2009, 08:59 PM
Download link seems to be broken :confused:

Kjotleik
Mar 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
Does anybody still have the BTS-version of this Civilization?

The MediaFire-file has been removed...

E D I T : Never Mind! I just downloaded Esnaz's Mod from AtomicGamer... hours of joy awaits... :)
(Stupid me for not looking beyond my nose before posting!)

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway :)