View Full Version : Question of Balanced and Standard Resources

Rule Brittania
Mar 03, 2007, 12:04 PM
I was recently playing civ4 warlords and was starting a custom game and in the game options you could choose wether the resources were Balanced or Standard does anyone know wat this means, wether balanced creates more resources around than standerd or wether it is the other way round??

binhthuy71
Mar 03, 2007, 12:30 PM
IIRC, balanced means that everyone has the important strategic resources (Copper, oil, iron, etc.) are within a few tiles (Five?) of their capitol. Marble is the only exception.

Rule Brittania
Mar 03, 2007, 12:46 PM
aaah thanks binhthuy, i will probebly use balanced in my next game as it is really annoying when i spend half an hour on a new game to find that i don't have any iron which is so important to have

synthboy
Mar 06, 2007, 02:08 PM
From the mouth of superslug:

The Balanced option ensures that every player has Aluminium, Coal, Copper, Horses, Iron, Oil and Uranium within 5 tiles of the start location, and eliminates Marble from the map.

Personally I prefer the standard option. Yes, I can get screwed but that just means I have to think harder to find an alternative path to victory and there's alway the chance of, say, the Romans being denied iron <rubs hands with glee>.

kovacsflo
Mar 07, 2007, 06:00 AM
IIRC, balanced means that everyone has the important strategic resources (Copper, oil, iron, etc.) are within a few tiles (Five?) of their capitol. Marble is the only exception.

Not having marble is a big problem with balanced maps. In my strategy, this is one of the most important resource.

sylvanllewelyn
Mar 07, 2007, 06:56 AM
Marble is not essential or even important for running an empire. It IS, however, something that makes your empire powerful, which means its scarcity will give nations a reason to fight each other. I don't really like balanced however, as it means AI's expand a lot faster, and has much less incentive to go to war. A perfect example is fighting for aluminium during a space race. On standard maps, I can easily bribe a civ without aluminium or oil into war against one that does.

Antilogic
Mar 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
Go for standard--it keeps the game interesting. :)

I like having the resources scattered unevenly, but what is this about marble removal? What about stone, the other major wonder-building rock?