View Full Version : Team GONG

Empiremaker
Jul 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
In a couple of turns we will meet GONG. What should we say to them? I think it is our responsibility to contact them because we know contact is coming, while they are unsuspecting. We also need to decide who our ambassador will be.

Empiremaker
Jul 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
Since no one else has volunteered, here is a proposed letter to GONG, to be sent when we meet them.

To the Great Nation of GONG,

We are pleased that the great Rik Meleet has seen fit to place our great nations in contact with each other. We hope that we can work for mutual benefits and lasting peace. We are very impressed with your wonders, and we hope that the FREE people can learn from your great works.

Long live FREE and GONG,

Empiremaker
Ambassador to team GONG

CommandoBob
Jul 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
Sounds good; sorta light and fluffy, which is what a first contact email should be.

aluka
Jul 30, 2007, 05:49 AM
Sent unaltered to GONG.

To the Great Nation of GONG,

We are pleased that the great Rik Meleet has seen fit to place our great nations in contact with each other. We hope that we can work for mutual benefits and lasting peace. We are very impressed with your wonders, and we hope that the FREE people can learn from your great works.

Long live FREE and GONG,

Empiremaker
Ambassador to team GONG

Empiremaker
Aug 06, 2007, 12:52 PM
Since BABE hasn't responded to a map trade with us, we could try GONG.

CommandoBob
Aug 07, 2007, 07:02 AM
Received from Team GONG after their Turn 118 and after our Turn 118.

Salutations to Team FREE and glad to know you Empiremaker,

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been reeling from having Civ Forums blocked at work and the announcement by team Babe.

Congrats on keeping your galley afloat. We Gongers hope that it makes the return journey in one piece. We look forward to getting to know our new friends to the Northwest/Southwest.

jb1964
Ambassador at large and just all around large Ambassador

Empiremaker
Aug 07, 2007, 09:26 AM
Proposed letter for a map trade

Dear GONG and jb1964,

We are dismayed at the news that these "forums" that we hear about have been blocked at work. This sounds terrible. Do you think FREE's army could help :confused:?

To less serious matter, many of FREE's cartographers are interested in advancing their knowledge of the world. What do you think about a World Map trade?

Hope all is well in GONG,

Empiremaker

CommandoBob
Aug 07, 2007, 12:30 PM
We are dismayed at the news that these "forums" that we hear about have been blocked at work. This sounds terrible.

Instead of

'This sounds terrible.'

How about

'This sounds like a vast productivity-focused conspiracy led by Pointy-Haired Bosses! Shall we call in the BOFH?'

Otherwise, it sounds good.

Empiremaker
Aug 07, 2007, 02:40 PM
Edited. Are people okay with a map trade with GONG?

Dear GONG and jb1964,

We are dismayed at the news that these "forums" that we hear about have been blocked at work. This sounds like a vast productivity-focused conspiracy led by Pointy-Haired Bosses! Shall we call in the BOFH? Do you think FREE's army could help ?

To less serious matter, many of FREE's cartographers are interested in advancing their knowledge of the world. What do you think about a World Map trade?

Hope all is well in GONG,

Empiremaker

Empiremaker
Aug 08, 2007, 05:47 PM
Will send letter in previous post after I find out who established the embassy.

Empiremaker
Aug 09, 2007, 08:59 AM
Received from GONG
Hey Team FREE,

I don't know what the actual protocol is for getting permission to sail through another teams territorial waters but you don't have it. Please send your galley outside of Gong territory. If you want to discuss a treaty regarding RoP, other anything else, that would be great but either way you really do need to bring your galley back home.

Team Gong

Empiremaker
Aug 09, 2007, 09:11 AM
In response to the previous letter we can do a few things
1. Nothing; ignore their letter and continue exploring. Tis would probably lead to war with both GONG and BABE
2. Move outside their water and wait for astronomy to continue
3. Work out some sort RoP deal, as they suggested
4. Map trade, so exploration would be unnecessary

I would go from the bottom up in that list- start out with a map trade, and if that fails, and RoP, etc.

A proposed letter under those assumptions. Feel free to suggest other options and what we should do.

Dear GONG,

We are sorry that you feel that we are doing something wrong, but hopefully we can resolve this issue before our next turn. Unfortunately, at this time it is impossible for us to send our galley beck home, as that would require us to pay additional hazard pay to the sailors family, which we can not do with the state of our treasury as it is. Therefore, we would like to propose that we do a map trade, we will give you our map and engineering in exchange for your map. Then our galleys would stay away from your territory until astronomy, at which time we would bring them back hope.

Until we work out a deal, our galleys will continue to increase their cartographic knowledge, as a number to teams have let your ally BABE do the same.

Sincerely,

Empiremaker

I threw in engineering because they will get it from the Glib regardless of what we do. On the other hand, we could toss in communication with the council. Preferences?

CommandoBob
Aug 09, 2007, 04:08 PM
Well, we didn't ask permission, so they have us nailed there.

And to trade Engineering we would need to get persmission from The Council.

How about this (for starters):

Dear Gong,

Oops!

Sorry about that.

We were so excited to meet you that we forgot our manners.

May we explore your coastline?

Our ship, the Triumph of Teal, has only sailors, since it is on peaceful mission of goodwill and exploration. It has been lucky so far in navigating the open seas, but even the luckiest ship will some day face the RNG of Meleet.

We are not opposed to a more formal agreement on this matter, but that does take time to set up and we would like to keep our sailors productive instead of just moving back and forth.

Sincerely yours....

Empiremaker
Aug 09, 2007, 04:38 PM
I think the Council would grant permission to trade engineering because GONG will get it anyway from the GLib, although they do not know that at this time.

I will send your letter CB, and if they want to negotiate we can toss in engineering or contact.

Empiremaker
Aug 09, 2007, 04:41 PM
For reference; sent.

Dear GONG,

Oops!

Sorry about that.

We were so excited to meet you that we forgot our manners.

May we explore your coastline?

Our ship, the Triumph of Teal, has only sailors, since it is on peaceful mission of goodwill and exploration. It has been lucky so far in navigating the open seas, but even the luckiest ship will some day face the RNG of Meleet.

We are not opposed to a more formal agreement on this matter, but that does take time to set up and we would like to keep our sailors productive instead of just moving back and forth.

Sincerely yours,

Empiremaker

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 08:28 AM
Received from GONG

Team FREE, thanks for the note.

The Gongers are pretty secretive about our rituals and are not too keen on being scouted.

The boat needs to be removed.

Thanks,

The Gongers

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
What should we do? For this turn, 120, I propose that we keep moving the boat along, and say we didn't get their email until after we played.

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
Lets do something a bit different, if a bit risky for Triumph of Teal.

First, compare the sea around our land to that of Gong's. Triumph of Teal is 1N of Gong's '... Beach' city, which is in the same location as our city of Freehand. The Gong city of 'E...' is in the same location as TaTuba. Northeast of TaTuba is section of coastal tiles that lead to Gong's south west shores. Lydia Sutherland is exploring those tiles right now.

What if we send Triumph of Teal to the NE, moving either NE, E and E (ending in a sea tile) and try to find the same coastal tiles to continue exploring Babe-land?

We risk being at sea for one turn, but the safest way to get to those tiles means unmasking more of Gong-land, and they won't like that.

On the other hand, if we send Triumph of Teal directly homeward, we should inform Gong of the route she would take in their coastal waters.

EDIT:
I posted this with the assumption that Team Gong, via Gmail, could tell when we opened their email. They may not be able to do that.

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
What should we do? For this turn, 120, I propose that we keep moving the boat along, and say we didn't get their email until after we played.
Some email services will inform you when the mail you send has been opened. I sniffed around in Gmail and still don't know if it does that or not.

If Gmail does not notify the user of when their email has been opened (the most likely case) then we can do this and blame it upon the latest turn player, who was too focused on getting the turn played and didn't check the previous message.

If Gmail does notify the user of when their email has been opened (not likely, but possible) then we could be unmasked as liars, unless we use the same line of defense as above; that is, whoever opened the email did not play the turn.

I think this is doable, but only for the next turn (120). And we would need to creatively apologize to Gong for our movement after we play the turn.

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
In that case I'll play the turn ASAP. I think as the usual turn player, CB should apologize for the "error"

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
I can live with that.

Elephantium
Aug 10, 2007, 04:54 PM
gmail doesn't allow you to request read receipts on outgoing emails, according to http://mail.google.com/support/bin/search.py?query=read+receipt&Action.Search=Search&type=f&lr=lang_en&ctx=en%3Asearchbox.

It also doesn't send read receipts back to the sender if you check it through the web interface. I just tested it with my own gmail account.

That said, I'm officially opposed to a policy of dishonesty at this point in the game.

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
Its late now to say that. I've played and sent the turn. Elephantium, you could make the post in the Turn Tracker.

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 05:36 PM
Proposed Letter. I'm going to assume we will keep exploring with our boat, and that we want to sound annoyed. We are average in military strength to GONG, so if war breaks out we only have to worry about BABE.

Dear GONG,

Why did you establish an embassy with us, and then complain about our boat? Because you abused our trust by establishing an embassy, our boat will continue to look for a safe passage home. Do not try to spy on us, and any action may lead to swift retribution, as will best serve the interests of FREE people everywhere.

Empiremaker

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
Seems a bit too annoyed and almost ready for a fight.

I would rather continue pretending to be the clumsy oaf trying to do what is asked but not quite getting it right.

Dear Great Gong,

We got our wires crossed.

CommandoBob is still without a game disk and the turn got played too quickly. Triumph of Teal continued exploring, as you can plainly see.

We can't court-martial the captain, he was only following orders. But we will get him out of your waters this next turn.

Uh, do you have a coast guard in case Triumph of Teal doesn't last the turns at sea?

And on the next turn we move 3NE to hit the shaft of coastal tiles and sniff around Babe.

aluka
Aug 10, 2007, 08:24 PM
That sounds like a good plan. It'll show we're not backing down immediately but don't want a war at this stage either. Are we sure GONG and BABE are working together?

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 08:25 PM
I took a look at the screenshots of Turn 119 and 118.

On Turn 118 we showed 424 in gold, with 180 going to The Council, leaving around 244 gold, less the negative gpt.

On Turn 119 we have only 50 gold.

It looks like we built the embassy, given the sharp drop in our treasury.

:confused:

And yet I don't that mentioned in the logs. And I can't imagine either Turnplayer omitting such an expense. Omitting on purpose, that is. I know how forgetful I am.

I've not played PBEMs, but I don't expect to have to pay to build someone else's embassy. That's what the other person does. They pay to build thier embassy in our lands. We don't charged gold for that.

Right?

aluka
Aug 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
Either GONG established it between our turn 117 and turn 118 or Kuningas established it during turn 118.

CommandoBob
Aug 10, 2007, 09:05 PM
At first I thought we might have built the embassy, but in reading The Council's last message, Gong snuck in an embassy on them.

Which makes it more likely that Gong snuck their embassy in on us also.

So how did we lose so much gold between 118 and 119? :eek:

Are we forced to build an embassy with Gong at the same time they build an embassy with us?

I just don't know. :run:

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 09:27 PM
Establishing an embassy shouldn't drain our treasury that much. Plus, GONG established an embassy with the Council.

Empiremaker
Aug 10, 2007, 09:35 PM
Oops. X-post. That what I get for starting to type, leaving the computer, continuing and posting :blush: Did we rush anything?

EDIT: I'll send the letter tomorrow to further the impression that we just noticed their letter

Elephantium
Aug 11, 2007, 10:34 AM
Its late now to say that. I've played and sent the turn. Elephantium, you could make the post in the Turn Tracker.

Perhaps, but it still needed to be said. I didn't catch this discussion in the early stages, otherwise I would have said something sooner. And darn it, 6 hours shouldn't be the margin between saying something on a timely basis and saying it "late". :(

Empiremaker
Aug 11, 2007, 12:50 PM
I understand what you mean. The game take a week to get around to us, then a critical discussion takes place a couple of hours.

Anyway, sending the letter to GONG. Here for reference.

Dear Great Gong,

We got our wires crossed.

CommandoBob is still without a game disk and the turn got played too quickly. Triumph of Teal continued exploring, as you can plainly see.

We can't court-martial the captain, he was only following orders. But we will get him out of your waters this next turn.

Uh, do you have a coast guard in case Triumph of Teal doesn't last the turns at sea?

Sincerely,

Empiremaker

Empiremaker
Aug 11, 2007, 03:30 PM
Received from GONG.

The Gongers have stopped their nearly constant partying to take note of ToT's continued exploration of our coast. Our populace sees this as a very aggressive move against our sovereignty.

Since the Babes, being of foul disposition after being thwarted by team SABER, are obviously looking for an alternative landing zone we Gongers think ToT would be better off trying to discern the location of the Babe fleet rather then trying to steal our malted beverage recipes.

Our coast guard is only qualified for rescue in coastal waters. Should ToT befall an untimely end we must entrust the ship's souls to the hands of the Great Meleet.

Regards,

jb

Elephantium
Aug 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
Is that a hint of BABE's intentions that I smell in jb's communique? Or is it a mind game?

I suggest that our reply contain something along the lines of "Why should we be concerned? Aren't you worried about invasion?"

We might also ask if they've seen any hint BABE's fleet near their landmass...

Empiremaker
Aug 16, 2007, 07:57 PM
Sent to both us and The Council, titled "Thanks for Theology"

Hiya Team Free and GW, Council Ambassador,

Currently we're stuck in a bit of a bind w/ the Babes regarding cooperation w/ others on techs but there's nothing prohibiting us from reaching a deal w/ the FC Axis over how we would benefit from our Great Gong Library should you two decide to swap the lower tier techs before you grace us with Education.

Regards,

Gong Ambassador jb

Empiremaker
Aug 16, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure how to respond. Ideas? Suggestions?

aluka
Aug 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
Well they've pretty much said that they're working with BABE and are aware of our cooperation with the council. I think they know this pretty much for sure due to our tech trading with the council, in particular the latest trade.

That doesn't mean we should offer any form of direct confirmation of any cooperation between us and the council.

We could also work in an attempt to undermine the GONG/BABE alliance. Maybe isssue GONG with a warning that BABE is looking for a dogpile. Send them a faked excerpt from a message we supposedley received from BABE and telling them this goes to show who they can really trust. I doubt they'd take it too seriously but it might raise some doubts in their minds.

Empiremaker
Aug 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
I don't know. At this point, GONG could act as a buffer, so I don't think we want to alienate GONG too much.

I'm sure that they're sure about our alliance. They probably got a screen saying "Sir, we have learned Theology from the FREEs and The Council."

aluka
Aug 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
I've never built the great library so I don't know what information appears. You're right in not wanting to alienate them.

CommandoBob
Aug 17, 2007, 06:27 AM
They learned Theology from the FC-Axis (not sure I like that name but it serves the purpose :scan: ). Did they pass that knowledge on to Babe? Did they sell that knowledge to Babe?

Sure, we might get some gold from Gong by tech trading with The Council. We (the FC Axis) build up some brownie points with Gong. What happens to the tech after Gong gets it?

For now, we need to respond with a 'We'll have to discuss that' message.

Good move on Gong's part. I'm sure they expect us to refuse their offer.
They offer some good bait by claiming that Babe is being difficult, or at least slow, to work with.

I wonder if this could be a smoke screen to get the FC Axis to focus on Gong while Babe gets ready to invade?

Empiremaker
Aug 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
For reference, The Council's reply to GONG

Dear jb and all GONGlings,

Why dear! If we had known you wanted Theology, you could have just
asked! No need to steal these things, we're always happy to lend our
neighbors a cup of sugar, a cube of butter, or some of our advanced
and secret knowledge.

We're pleased to learn that we're so close to FREE that we're now an
Axis! Were you aware of this FREE? Good news, I'd say! :thumbsup:

As for these other lower level techs you speak of… did you have a
proposal in mind? While we're always fans of vague and thinly-veiled
fishing expeditions… The Council would also be happy to entertain any
proposals you'd like to offer.
Hard for us to say, since we're not sure what kind of…er… "bind"… the
BABE's have you in! :blush:

All the Best,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

P.S. Hello FREE! :wavey:

Empiremaker
Aug 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
Converstaion between GONG and The Council

Dear jb,

We appreciate the candor in your last letter. Your proposal isn't very
appealing to us – but it may very well serve as a starting point for
more meaningful talks.

The super-long peace treaty we really see as more of a boon to you
than to us. The Council Intelligence Agency has made note of your jump
to Feudalism, whipping campaign, and rapid rise in culture. Let's just
say they put 2 and 2 together and came up with about 100k. :)

As for the gold you offered us on the tech – 25% of current/trade
value seems awfully stingy, especially for a Feudal government that,
as you've noted, has less need of gold.

We've crafted 3 Alternate Proposals for you to consider.

In all cases, our offer is the same – We'll give the secret of
Invention [indirectly, if needed], and agree to a guaranteed peace
treaty for 40 turns.

In return, we'd like:
Option A:
40% of the Monopoly Beaker Cost of Invention = 528 gold
Treaty agreement to not then sell or trade Invention to anyone.
Treaty agreement to not attack or materially support anyone in an
attack on The Council or team FREE for 40 turns.

Option B:
60% of the Monopoly Beaker Cost of Invention = 792 gold
NO restrictions on selling or trading Invention to anyone.

Option C:
GONG researches Music Theory immediately after getting
Education, and then immediately upon discovery gives it to The Council
GONG agrees to forgo building of JS Bach's Cathedral
Treaty agreement to not then sell or trade Music to anyone – but
allowing trading of Invention

Any of those catch your fancy?

All the best,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

On 8/17/07, niklas greback <go.gongshow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> Haha! Very good.
>
>
>
> We actually would like all your techs in exchange for a beer, one of Bug's
> songs, and Gong goodwill but I don't think that currency is quite so
> valuable that you would be willing to make that deal.
>
>
>
> Sorry about the axis reference. I guess that does sound a bit militaristic,
> and not in a good way. I just wanted to hurry things along because a deal
> cannot be made without both Team FREE's and The Council's cooperation via
> the, as you put it, Spybary. And it's not a secret that our path into the
> MIddle Ages w/ the Babes was right behind Team FREE and The Council. BTW,
> anyone seen SABER?
>
>
>
> The bind is that our current agreement w/ the Babes does not allow us to
> consort w/ others on tech w/o running it past the Babes. The Spybary gives
> us the opportunity to skirt that provision and keep w/i the letter of the
> law while maybe not the spirit.
>
>
>
> My fishing expedition is only to see if you're even interested in discussing
> the matter and what you might find worthwhile. I wasn't too involved in
> MPDG #1 so I didn't want to toss out any suggestions that would be
> insulting. Since Team Gong seems to consist of me, Daghie and Cane I'm
> pretty much flying solo on diplomacy. And Daghie only seems to show up to
> needle SABER. The one thing I did pick up from last game is that Team KISS
> would banter back and forth endlessly w/ the Nuts, getting nowhere; while we
> could all hear MIA's machinery clanking at a fevered pitch. I don't want to
> banter while Rome burns.
>
>
>
> I guess in my mind we can offer lasting peace, agreement to not materially
> support an aggressor, and futures on luxury trades and technology. All of
> our attempts to map beyond our continent ended abruptly, repeatedly, so we
> have little to offer in the way of maps other than our own which I doubt
> Cane would agree to part with. But I can always ask.
>
>
>
> How about Invention for peace for 80 turns & guaranteed luxury trading? For
> the peace agreement we'll pay you 25% of the current value of Invention, via
> installments. We're also open to paying more for the peace agreement
> should any other tech flow our way via the Spybary.
>
>
>
> Well, there's a starting position off the top of my pointy-head. Of course
> if there's no deal to be had prior to Education then we'll need to wait
> until we're less encumbered to discuss scientific cooperation.
>
>
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
>
>
> Regards, jb

Empiremaker
Aug 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
Proposed reply. Assuming that we don't want to reveal knowledge of our alliance.

Dear GONG,

We are surprised that you would like to trade with us after the recent Triumph of Teal dispute. What have you been working out with The Council? We some of their information, but what has been going on in the negotiations between The Council and GONG in your words? What do you think of a Mutual BABE Information Pact? GONG and FREE would exchange any and all information on BABE's invasion fleet. Even though you have been working with BABE on advancing to the Middle Ages, do you trust them not to attack you, since you don't seem to have a strong military, according to our Military Advisor?

Sincerely,

Empiremaker

Please ignore spelling errors. I'm using IE, which doesn't have spell check.

CommandoBob
Aug 23, 2007, 05:35 PM
I would 'inform' them that Triumph of Teal was lost at sea just outside of Gong borders and those valiant citizens perished to make Gong happy.

And now they want to talk? While the nation of Free is still in mourning?

We'll listen, of course, but we're not yet in a mood to talk.

(Just an idea on how to play up the Triumph of Teal angle.)

Kuningas
Mar 04, 2008, 04:00 AM
Lux swap of Spices for Silks with GONG. What do you think?

Elephantium
Mar 05, 2008, 07:23 PM
Straight lux swaps sound fine to me.

CommandoBob
Jul 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
When we go to war with Gong, what are we trying to achieve? (Both short term and long term.)

Are we trying to stop the Gong culture express?
Eliminate Gong from the game?
Serve as a diversion for The Council/Saber to invade Babe/Gong?

I'm not saying we need to stay at peace with Gong. But now, as we build up our transports and naval forces, I think we do need to decide where we will invade, how we will defend and what we hope to achieve.

Information is critical and I wish we had a map of Gong. Or knew where their forces are located.

Empiremaker
Jul 11, 2008, 07:35 PM
I see that we have 3 goals from the war.

1. Stop GONG culture victory
2. Put us closer to domination
3. Be a great place for specialist farms to speed up science to
a. Get us better troops
b. Help us potentially win a space race.

If I have time, I'll make a map of the GONG continent, with our current knowledge.

Kuningas
Jul 12, 2008, 12:57 AM
I would research AW as our next tech. Marines can capture a coastal city and then tanks can go directly after inland cities. If we are lucky GONG is not prepared and we would capture half of GONG's cities in one turn.

Attack plan from SW anf from North.
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4557/tfreet197ap1rb8.th.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tfreet197ap1rb8.jpg)

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8062/tfreet197ap2hf7.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tfreet197ap2hf7.jpg)

Empiremaker
Jul 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
I would be worried about overextending ourselves on the invasion turn. I bet they have some cavalry, and with enough, they could take enough cities to put us at 100% WW. I think we should take a couple on the first turn, and position to take their capital.

CommandoBob
Jul 12, 2008, 03:35 PM
When we capture a city that tile and the 8 tiles that surround it become FREE land. Aside from that fact, and the fact that it makes movement easier for us, is there any other reason to keep the cities after we capture them?

I'm worried about flip risks and losing the cities to counterattacks. Somehow I think (and I don't know why) that at some point we would just want to raze the cities.

This is just a discussion/education point.

Empiremaker
Jul 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think we could take out GONG in 3-5 turns. Over that span, we might get 1 or 2 flips. If a city flips, we may lose 0-2 units, then a tank should be able to mop up a regular rifle/infantry.

I don't see counter-attacks as a huge issue once we work through their initial stack. They are weak to us, and they will have cavs and infantry (attack 6) vs FREE tanks (defense 8) or infantry (defense 10). Those units, especially if fortified, should be able to hold our gains well.

CommandoBob
Jul 20, 2008, 01:54 PM
On Turn 199 I made some early invasion plans and then investigated Gong cities in that area. I had planned to investigate just Yellow Brick Road and Stone Pony, but examined three more cities as they were revealed. These screenshots are also in the Turnlog.

Gong Invasion Before City Investigations

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_GongInvasion.jpg

I was just trying to see what we could reach in 2 turns from TuTuba.

Gong Coastline After City Investigations

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_GongCoastland.jpg

Gong: Yellow Brick Road

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_Gong_YellowBrickRoad.jpg

Gong: Stone Pony

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_Gong_StonePony.jpg

Gong: Townes van Zandt

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_Gong_TownesVanZandt.jpg

Gong: Palace of the Brine

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_Gong_PalaceOfTheBrine.jpg

Gong: Whip It!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/The190s/199/199_Gong_WhipIt.jpg

These screenshots are in the Turnlog for Turn 199, but no analysis of them or of the early invasion plans. Those topics seem better suited to this thread.

Empiremaker
Jul 20, 2008, 07:04 PM
IIRC, they have some Wonders in Sugar Mountain. We can hit that on the first turn of the invasion.

I think we should capture "Hotel California", "Stone Pony", "Rock Lobesterford", "Sugar Mountian", "Whip it", "Palace of the Brine", "Townes van Zandt", "Yellow Brick Road" and if necessary to put them at 120 WWP, "Stone Castle"/"Guitar Town".

Then move tanks 1E of Sugar Mountain, so that on the second turn we can capture their capitol.

Of the GONG cities, what should we raze?

After we conquer GONG, we need a plan to prevent a blitz invasion of our land. I think we should have just 1 coastal city, with forests surrounding what would become our land, so that if we are invaded, on the first turn, they could only conquer 1 city.

CommandoBob
Jul 20, 2008, 11:42 PM
Invasion Fleet Turns
So we would need to capture both Stone Pony and Yellow Brick Road on the first turn and then move our Transports into those cities to unload (and not sacrfice movement points of Tanks and Infantry).

This will mean two turns our Invasion fleet is at sea. (Sort of obvious, I know. Turn One: move 2 tiles and stop, while still inside our territory (if possible). Turn Two: move all six tiles. Turn Three: use 4 MP and arrive at the dots, unload enough Tanks to take the city, and then move into the newly captured city. Then fan out across Gongdom.

If we use our SGL to build Magellan's Voyage this issue goes away. And we spend only one turn at sea. It would also mean we would need fewer ships to ship-chain from Free to Gong.

I don't have the game open (wrong pc) but in checking our game history thread I don't show that anyone has built that Wonder.

Invasion Forces
We have 5 Transports right now, and, IIRC, 3 more are being built, to give us a total in the near future of 8 transports. Four transports per city; 6 units in each transport; that is 24 units for each city. Two cities makes that 48 units.

What unit mix do we want when we invade?

Capture or Raze
If we want to advance any at all in the Gong interior, I don't think we can raze any cities. If we do, the culture expansion from the other cities will just reclaim that tile. Each city we looked into has a Library, Temple, Universtiy and Cathedral, even midget city of Stone Pony. Gong is culture heavy. So, we keep all the cities we capture the first turn, and maybe raze/abandon them on the second turn, once we push the borders back further.

I do think we should raze/replace Yellow Brick Road (5). Stone Pony (1) should not auto-raze, given all the culture it has. We can add some workers to make it more loyal. Yellow Brick Road is a definite flip risk. Better to get some slaves and rebuild it.

We would have to capture Yellow Brick Road, move the Settler Transport into it, unload the Settler, abandon the city and then resettle it. Do we lose our Transport doing that?

Empiremaker
Jul 21, 2008, 07:31 AM
When we arrive at their coast, wouldn't we use a couple of marines to take the cities?

For advancing into the interior we can always raze and replace by moving a settler to the city location on rails, abandoning, and replacing, but this transfers any :whip: unhappiness to other cities. As long as we don't have many troops in a city and it is not on the front lines, a flip means there will be just 1 reg rifle in the city, which would be easy to recapture.

I say we need maybe 30 infantry, 40 tanks, 10 marines, 1 settler and 9 artillery in our i initial invasion fleet. That's 15 transports.

If we abandon the city with a naval unit in the city, we lose the unit.

CommandoBob
Jul 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
When we arrive at their coast, wouldn't we use a couple of marines to take the cities?
Forgot about Marines, since we can't build any yet. :blush:

I don't build many Marines in solo games, either. :crazyeye:

Elephantium
Jul 21, 2008, 09:07 PM
1. When do we declare on GONG? Before we launch our fleet, the turn before we land our troops, or the turn we actually invade?

2. How soon do we intend to invade? I'd be tempted to delay long enough to get a dozen Marines so that we could take the first two GONG cities on our landing turn. Besides, they might try a coastal blockade of the Yellow Brick Road area if they suspect an invasion.

Empiremaker
Jul 21, 2008, 09:44 PM
1. When do we declare on GONG? Before we launch our fleet, the turn before we land our troops, or the turn we actually invade?

We have 2-3 turns on Amphibious War. We'll need a lot more tanks though, so maybe in 7-8 turns our fleet will be launched. Invasion will then be around turn 210.

2. How soon do we intend to invade? I'd be tempted to delay long enough to get a dozen Marines so that we could take the first two GONG cities on our landing turn. Besides, they might try a coastal blockade of the Yellow Brick Road area if they suspect an invasion.

I agree.

Kuningas
Jul 28, 2008, 01:59 AM
Dear Team Free,

Team Gong would like to inquire if you would care to offer any gold for our extra fur supply. Gold per turn would be the preferred payment method. We are also able to sell you military tradition for a reasonable lump sum if you are interested. You can make a reasonable offer in the trade screen this turn or reply to this message to work out a deal. Lookin forward to your response, soon.

Best Regards,
PrinceMyshkin
Team Gong

How do we respond?

Would you like to make declaration of war message?

Empiremaker
Jul 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
I think we don't respond at all. With tanks, Military Tradition is not worth much unless we get an army. We really don't need a luxury for 10 turns.

CommandoBob
Aug 01, 2008, 12:08 AM
Since we'll be at war with Gong rather shortly, so that we can win the game, do we have a public reason for the war? That is, something we can proclaim in the UN (common forum) about how the war started and we are not really to blame for it.

Some ideas (and this is just a starting list):

1. Our troops were on manuevers and got off course somehow but did not realize their mistake until after they had attacked and sacked 16 cities because the land looked so familiar.

2. We are delivering the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes Mega-Check to someone in Gong and were attacked by Gong by mistake.

3. We are looking to rescue the FREE sailors lost at sea from long ago (back in the BCs, I think).

4. We are protecing the rights of the innocent to be FREE.

5. We are looking for wmd (weapons of minimal destruction, and thus the lower case). These weapons, though small, are quite deadly. They would include such things as short flame fart lighters, exploding boogers and reverse firing nerf guns. In the wrong hands (like your younger brother's) they can be deadly.

6. There is a distubance in the Force.

Empiremaker
Aug 01, 2008, 07:26 AM
I would blame GONG culture for subverting freedom everywhere, encouraging people to sing off key, dance in the streets etc. This way we frame it in a light that we are doing the world a favor by preventing a GONG cultural victory.

CommandoBob
Aug 01, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ah, a cultural battle.

:goodjob:

Rock vs. Opera. (KISS vs Bach)

Beer vs. Wine.

Comic books vs. Literature.

Empiremaker
Aug 01, 2008, 08:59 PM
Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD34_K1SgIQ&feature=related) video. We (bugs) just want to go about our minimal cultural pursuits without interference from big culture hot-shots.

CommandoBob
Aug 02, 2008, 09:37 AM
Yessss!

And that great line from Bugs:

You realize, of course, this means war!

CommandoBob
Aug 02, 2008, 10:00 AM
From the Turns 201 to 209 thread:
We are getting Silks from Gong, and that will end once the fighting starts.

Do we need to talk to Saber about a luxury trade?

Saber would sell luxuries, but price is too high.

We can just increase luxure taxes up to 20%.

Higher luxuries sounds fine.

I forgot that Gong has Furs that we could make ours, also. :crazyeye:

Rodent
Aug 02, 2008, 11:22 PM
It's Clobberin' Time

As a Side-note- Could anyone tell me where to find save of this game so I can make Educated Inputs?

Empiremaker
Aug 03, 2008, 08:20 AM
The save comes in our gmail-box. It is from one of SABER's members and it is called "MTDG2_114_SABER.SAV" or something like that. "114" is the number of the turn as it progresses, e.g. 114, 115, 116. Check gmail-box at www.gmail.com. Username = team.free2 , Password = t34mfr33. Click on the mail from SABER which usually has the subject line "Turn XXX to you". Then d-load the file attached to your usual conquests saves folder, just like a SG. The .sav is yours and ready to play. Open the save, and when prompted for a password, enter "HamSteR".

Copied from "how to play a turn".

Empiremaker
Aug 04, 2008, 06:03 PM
Military Status (Assuming all vets)
75 Infantry (19 strength per HP = 76 per unit) = 5700
07 Artillery (.5 strength per bombard = 6 per unit) = 42
08 Transport (3.5 strength per HP = 14 per unit) = 112
07 Marines (24 strength per HP = 96 per unit) = 672
08 Cruiser ( 32.5 strength per HP +3.5 bombardment str = 133.5 per unit) = 1068
19 Tanks (32 strength per HP = 128 per unit) = 2432

FREE Grand Total str = 10026
GONG max str = 10028*.8 = 8021
1 cavalry = 12 str per HP = 48 per unit (veteran)
GONG max number of cavalry is 167 :wow:
Or they could have 20 infantry + 135 cavs
Or 40 infantry + 66 cavs
NOTE: Str is the strength of the unit as the miltiary adviser sees it. I used this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=83599) article for reference.

Kuningas
Aug 05, 2008, 06:55 AM
Have GONG built units exlusively? Military strength changed to strong compared to GONG on turn 184. Military at that point:
03 Horseman
04 Pike
17 Infantry
05 Artillery
02 Galley
06 Mace
09 Enkidu Warriors

Empiremaker
Aug 05, 2008, 08:08 AM
At that turn, again assuming all vets, we had a strength of 1611.8. GONG would have been around 1290. That is 27 cavalry. From that point, they probably have built infantry and more cavs. How many cities do they have? They probably have no more than 5*#of cities units, but they may not even be close to their unit support limit.

Empiremaker
Aug 05, 2008, 08:25 AM
Proposed Press Release for after we play our next turn / when we declare war on GONG.

Thread title: International Politics 101, University of Freedom Central

In the spirit of intellectual cooperation for the major universities in this world of Meleet, the University of Freedom Central would like to share one of the recent assignments in the class "International Politics 101".

Task: Use the following video and a metaphor to analyze the recent situation between GONG and FREE. Discuss how Giovonni Jones represents GONG's cultural imperialism against the traditional FREE cultural pursuits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD34_K1SgIQ&feature=related

CommandoBob
Aug 05, 2008, 09:08 AM
I have a story idea; I'll post it here first.
It follows the same idea as 'Long Haired Hare'.

CommandoBob
Aug 06, 2008, 08:54 AM
I got the story halfway done, took a break and then Grandma went to bed in my computer room! :cry: [pissed]

She was still asleep when I left for work, so I could not get to the story to post what I had done.

I should be able to do that much this evening (post what I have written, that is). I'll try to do more, so that we can all see it before we go to war.

EDIT:
Gong plays right after us. I don't think we should send the game to Gong until we announce war. I want FREE to score the first propaganda points, not Gong.

Empiremaker
Aug 07, 2008, 05:29 PM
CB: Are you still planning to post your story here before posting it in the UN?

CommandoBob
Aug 07, 2008, 05:42 PM
Yes, I fixing to start up on it again in just a few minutes.

Last night I got home from work at 7:30pm and Grandma was already in bed!

:lol: and :cry:

CommandoBob
Aug 07, 2008, 08:57 PM
The wood paneled room was croweded with people. Some, but only a handful, were sitting behind and away from the dais at the far end of the room. A few more were clustered around a set of tables that faced the dais. The rest, mostly men in cheap suits, sat in rows behind the table, facing the platform. Most carried notepads and pens and carried badges that labeled them as journalists.

Around the table and on the raised platform technicans waved to the background, signalling that the various microphones were working properly. Large, bulky movie-style cameras were placed around the room, but only a few. The major news organizations had let one network record the proceeding since there wasn't enough space for everyone to have their own camera and crew present.

A herald came forth.

'All rise for the Committe of Investigation,' he spoke into a microphone.

There was a rustle of clothing and scraping of chairs as everyone not standing rose to their feet.

The men that now entered were garbed in ceremonial robes, made up of large amounts dark blue, almost black, fabric, with stripes of light blue that made them only slightly less intimidating. Their faces were somber as they entered the room and slowly took their places.

'This Committee of Investigation is now in session,' intoned the herald, 'Sir Kunigas of Finland presiding.'

'You may be seated,' said Sir Kuningas.

'Gentleman,' he began, 'you are still under oath from yesterday to tell the truth. Answer us truthfully, even if what you must say could be considered offensive. We would rather hear the truth, however unpleasant, than swallow a lie.

'Yesterday, we learned that our good will tour of Gong had been funded by donations from the people of FREE. It was a private endavour and recieved no government support. The government did not express an opinion about the good will tour, but made no effort to obstruct it. Our own people gave of their time and effort to raise money for this, with many schools having penny drives and walk-a-thons to raise the needed funds to send a select few of our citizens on a peaceful mission of congeniality and friendship to our neighbors to the north, the Republic of Gong. We have heard how the team was composed of you, Empiremaker, one Peter Schickele, CommandoBob, Aluka, Pinman and a host of others; their names are in the attached notes.

'Is this correct?'

'Yes, milord, it is,' replied Empiremaker.

'Proceed.'

'Yes, milord. As you know, our plan was to tour the coastal cities of the Republic of Gong. Despite our best efforts, The Song & Dance Men, as they call themselves, have never been very friendly to us and we hoped to change that. We thought that by only planning to see the coastline we would avoid being called spies. That sorta worked and it sorta didn't. They didn't think we were spies. They thought we were hicks. They assummed we were there to absorb something they called culture.'

'Let me get this straight,' interrupted a member that sat next to Sir Kuningas. 'You knew that you might be considered spies?'

'Yes, milord Elephantium, we did.'

'Were you spies?'

'No, milord, not really. For most of us, this was our first time to visit another nation besides FREE. And so we couldn't help but notice things. But none of us has served in the military, and only three of us completed college. We were nosey and curious, yes; who wouldn't be in a strange place? But trained agents, like that Bond fellow? No way, sir, no way.'

'Thank you. Please continue.'

'As I was saying, they thought we were hicks and that had come to gather culture, which they were very generous to give us some. The people of Gong are a well educated, articulate and a compassionate sounding people. They have many more musicans, painters and sculptors than we have. They read a lot, even books of poetry. They have many beatiful buildings called temples and cathedral, and you've got to see these things to believe how overwhelming they are. Our palace, with all the years we've spent making it better, is just a hovel compared to their opulent and cherished seat of government. There is a lot to like about them.'

'However,' said Empiremaker as he sipped some water, 'the feeling was not mutual. We were tolerated and weren't really made to feel welcome. You could tell. Time and time again we would make an observation or ask a question and be told "That's so FREE", like we were ignorant yokels fresh off the farm. Every town, every city, we got the same put-down and the same little wrinking of the nose and flaring of the nostrils. We were guests and we would be treated properly and correctly, but only out of duty, not from any regards as to who we were as people.'

'Could you expound on that last point?' asked a rather young looking man from the end of the raised platform.

'Certainly, milord Rodent. For instance, we call them Gongers for short; they call us FreeZers. I admit, that's rather innocent. They also had a whole series of jokes where we, FreeZers, were made fun of. Here's a few of them.

How do you drive a FreeZer crazy? Put him in a round round and tell him to sit in the corner.
What's the difference between trash and a FreeZer female? The trash gets taken out twice a week.
How many FreeZers does it take to change a lightbulb? 'Lightbulb! What's a lightbulb?'

'This image is from a chalkbooard.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/Abreast.jpg

'It shows two FreeZers walking abreast.

'These images are from a typical FreeZer Wedding. First the couple....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/Wedding.jpg

...and then their wedding cake.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/Tray.jpg

'"A man is at a fancy restuarant and sees that the specials of the day include a pound of Saber, a pound of Councilor and a pound of FreeZer. The price for a pound of Saber is 10 gold pieces. A pound of Councilor is 15 gold. A pound of FreeZer is 50 gold. So he asks the waiter, 'What makes FreeZer meat so expensive? Are they that hard to find?' To which the waiter replied, 'No, they are not hard to find, but, did you ever try to clean one of them?'"

'"Why does Hell have demons but we have FreeZers? Hell got first pick."

'"A giant hurricane demolished Freedom Central. Did 20 gold pieces of damage."

'"A Saber, a Councilor and a FreeZer walked into a bar...."

'Thank you, Empiremaker, we get the picture,' interrupted Lord Kuningas. 'It appears obvious that they do not like us. While I am sure we agree that is probably a sad decision on their part, it is their decision to make and we cannot change that. So tell me, how did the team respond to their evident disdain?'

'Well, at first we tried to laugh it off. Aluka and CommandoBob even tried to play off it by modifying some of sayings of St. Bill of Engvall and St. Foxworthy. That did not work as expected. In less than a week Gongers were selling "Heres' Your FreeZer" bathroom wipes. And the innocent and, well, cutesy, "You might be a FreeZer" twist the Aluka put on St. Foxworthy's statements soon became degraded and depraved. I will mention just a few.

If you live next to a cesspool and call it your swimming hole...you might be a FreeZer.
If your brother and father are released from prison at the same time...you might be a FreeZer.
If you mother was a crack-house whore and your father a child-molester...you might be a FreeZer.

'Despite all this abuse on our good name, we tried to make the best of it.

'At the Gong city Ring of Fire we decided to surprise them with our national anthem. This was close to the end of our tour and we hoped-'

'Uh, wait a minute,' said Lord Kuningas, 'National anthem? I didn't know we had one.'

'Well, offically, we don't. We haven't voted on one. But our people have adopted one song as the national anthem. They sing it at the start of most sporting events, high school graduations and other special events. That is the song that we "made" our national anthem.'

'Just for the record, Empiremaker, could you sing that song for us?'

'I can do better than that, milord. I've asked the Coastal Geeks Glee Club to be present today to sing this song. Gentlemen.'

From the back of the room about 40 men, dressed in overalls, plaid shirts and carrying farm implements, came and gathered around the one microphone. One of them pulled out a small instrument and blew a short note. All the men hummed the note and then one began to sing.

In this fair land of the Evaackkian Empire,
From North to South and East unto West,
We love our rivers and snowy capped moutains,
We do believe that ours is the best

At this point the soloist nudged the closest singer with his elbow and all the rest of the choir joined in.

Free, oh Free, we're free tonight
Our land is surely the freest of all
We searched the world over
But never found better
We live in Freedom and
Phht! you do not.

'I appluad you on your decision for our national anthem. Pray tell, how did The Gong respond to this?'

'Thank you, milord. The people of Gong were, well, offended by it, especially the 'Phht!' portion.'

'What?' asked Lord Elephantium. 'They were offended by a child's spitting sound? But it was okay to make fun of our women and degrade us? That is ridiculous!'

'It is even worse than that,' said Empiremaker.

'How?' queried the visibly upset Lord.

'Our next stop was in the capital city of Graceland. It turned out to be our last stop, too. On the first night we were treated to two very important culural events. We attended a symphony in the afternoon and an opera that evening. The symphony was impressive. The offical name given by the composer was "Symphony No 5 in C minor, Opus 67" but commonly called by the Gongers as "Beethoven's Fifth', with Ludwig von Beethoven being the composer. It is a magnificient piece of music. The opera was written by a fellow named Wagner and it was named Lohengrin. It was sung in a foreign language, foreign even to most Gongers; they had to refer to written translations of what was being sung. Before the start of the first and third acts there was an insturmental prelude. The first prelude featured a lot of stringed instruments and was pretty but rather boring. The Prelude to Act III featured a lot of brass instrument and was very catchy and invigorating. Some of us, myself included, began to move our hands as if directing the orchestra and whistling along with them. That was considered boorish behaviour by our hosts, as we found out afterwards.

'At this point, Schickele and CommandoBob got together and were able to convince the orchestra to join again for our peformance the next evening. They didn't share what they had planned.

'That night, after we were introduced, Schickele took over. He began by talking about how nice it was to have notes that explained things about the music being played, but then noted that those things were useless once the lights were turned out. He had a solution to this problem and wanted to share it. He then sat down at a table on stage, with CommandoBob at his side; each of them had a microphone. He then nodded to the conductor, who began to play the piece they had played before, namely Beethoven's Fifth.

'As soon as the first notes were done, Schickele said, "And they're off, with a four note beat." And through out the first part of this piece, he and CommandoBob acted like sports commentators, talking about inner-league competition, conducting averages, how no one really wanted to take the four note theme and do anything with it and so on. We FreeZers thought it was great, even if we didn't all understand music.

'The Gongers had other impressions. When the music ended, with a gunshot, just like the races, they were a trifle upset. I heard them shouting things like "Impertinent!", "Disgraceful!", "You sir, are a cad!"

'And then we all realized something. The Gongers didn't have a true sense of humor since they could not laugh at themselves.

'I was dwelling on that impression when I heard some yell, "They're not fit live, flithly FreeZers!" Then a man jumped up on stage, knocked over the table and started hitting Schickele in the face. We jumped to his defense but that only made more Gongers jump to his defense. We were outnumbered and were soon overcome. It took twenty minutes for their police to arrive and another half an hour before they got Schickele and CommandoBob loaded into ambulances and taken to get medical treatment. Most of us took a licking, but being farm boys we gave as good as we got. But those two were unprepared for the attack and they were the main focus of the Gonger's rage.

'Then Gong kicked us out, made us pack up that night and put us on the tramp trawler that brought us home.'

The silence was thick.

'And what about this Schickele fellow and CommandoBob? I trust they are being taken care of and their wounds tended to?' asked Kuningas in an icy voice.

'Milord, I don't think so.

'According to the police that escorted us, once their wounds are healed they would be charged in a Gong court with Crimes Against Culture, which is a captial offence in their legal system.'

'They wouldn't dare!' said Lord Rodent.

'Milord, their punishement for this crime is called Death by Karaoke, but I was given no details.'

'So,' said Lord Elephantium, 'we have two prominent citizens of Free, on a good will tour, beaten up by an out of control mob for pointing out to that mob that the mob has no sense of humor? And that these two citizens of Free are going to be put to death because the Gongers are too stuck up to laugh at themselves? Is that the situation you describe?'

'Yes, milord, that is the situation.'

'My fellow lords,' said Elephantium, 'and respected Overlord Kuningas, I think I speak for not just myself but for everyone present when I say that we must quote the Bunny.

'Specifically, when he said,

'You realize, of course,'

and he paused to catch the eyes of the other lords, as they in unison said.

'This means War!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The FREE national anthem, in it's original form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqnm3A10m8I

Rodent
Aug 08, 2008, 03:38 AM
After the Memorable Decision of Declaration of War, The Entire FREE Nation was Driven into a Frenzy, People were Angry and most of them were Convinced that this Decision was the Right one.

The News Networks were Actively Participating in Spreading Anti-GONG Propaganda. At Martyr Square, Freedom Central, Lord Kuningas made this speech-

"Honorable Citizens of FREE! As all of you must be knowing, The Council has made the Decision of Declaring War against the GONG."

The Crowd Cheered this.

"What Happened to FREE Citizens over there in GONG was Unforgivable, They apparently think of us as Dirt and something to be laughed at, But we will show them what we are made of, We will prove through the force of Arms that the FREE way of life is much better than the dull,drab GONG one."

"We are all up in Arms, From the the lowliest Farmer to the Council Members, all will fight for glory and Revenge and We will Fight because we are FREE! "

The Crowd Literally Erupted, As They were Being Escorted from the Dais, Kuningas said to Lord Elephantium, "well this was'nt bad,"

Elephantium Replied, "It Surely Was'nt. And by the way, Your Equipment is Ready"

"I will probably be the first leader to actually fight for my people. but then, Everyone seems fired up and filled with Patriotism"

"They Surely are, Rodent has been raving for the past few days"

"That is'nt good, Considering he is to command the Supply Divison of the FREE forces"

"He will come Around, I only wonder what this war has in store for us all...

Kuningas
Aug 08, 2008, 04:59 AM
aye, send it to the UN.

CommandoBob
Aug 08, 2008, 07:52 AM
Added new thread 'The Causes of War'.

Rodent
Aug 08, 2008, 09:42 AM
Was'nt my little Add-on Good Enough :( ?

Anyways CBob, Great Story, Enjoyed it to the hilt

Empiremaker
Aug 08, 2008, 09:45 AM
Rodent - I don't know if CB saw it. He might have just copied and pasted from a word file.

CommandoBob
Aug 08, 2008, 11:08 AM
I did see Rodent's add-on. I just couldn't come up with a way to post his work and give him due credit. :sad:

I did a Preview Post where I quoted his post, but that just didn't look good. Rodent's words would have been in the grey text area and that would have diminished their impact. At the time I didn't think about putting any explanation inside the Quote tags and removing the Quote tags from Rodent's words.

However, Rodent could post what he has written into that thread. His post would need to titled in such a way that non-FreeZers could tell that he was continuing the story and not commenting on it (which would be their first impression).

Rodent
Aug 08, 2008, 11:15 AM
Done, I will be writing short stories on the war from time to time,

Anyone with me?

Empiremaker
Aug 12, 2008, 08:39 AM
Could we make peace with GONG, and then a 2-4 turns before we invade our next opponent, have GONG declare war and invade with a few infantry. Hopefully, the other team should have enough time to load their units on transports and sail them away, before we land and blitz through their cities. SABER might be our biggest threat for the space race, and so if we can cripple them, we may have an easy space race. The Council just doesn't seem to be able to research that fast.

Elephantium
Aug 12, 2008, 09:52 AM
I doubt GONG feels desperate enough to accept a client-kingdom relationship with us.

As for attacking SABER, we need to be careful - we don't want to end up at the bottom of a dogpile!

CommandoBob
Aug 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
Turn 208: Gong's Land at Start of Turn

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/208_GongLandsStartOfTurn.jpg

Turn 209: Gong's Land at Start of Turn

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/209_GongLandsStartOfTurn.jpg

Turn 210: Gong's Land at Start of Turn

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/210_GongLandsStartOfTurn.jpg

Turn 211: Gong's Land at Start of Turn

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/211_GongLandsStartOfTurn.jpg

Turn 212: Gong's Land at Start of Turn

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/Box180295/MTDG2/GongWar/212_GongLandsStartOfTurn.jpg

CommandoBob
Aug 23, 2008, 02:33 PM
This is just a rough guide to how Gong's cities have fared in the war.

Turn 208
Gong Cities Visible at SoT:

Basement on a Hill (?)
California Girls (1)
Castle Donnington (1)
Graceland (12) - Capital
E Street (1)
Guitar Town (3)
Hotel California (1)
Kokomo (1) - 1 tile island
M???? (4)
Palace of the Brine (6)
Ring of Fire (2)
Rock Lobseterford (2)
Rutupiae (2) - 1 tile island
Slane Castle (2)
Sugar Mountain (12)
Sunset Strip (3)
Stony Pony (2)
St. Alphonzo's (3)
Sweet H??? (3)
Townes van Zandt (6)
Unknown name on NW coast (5)
Whip It! (7)
Whiskeytown (2)
Yellow Brick Road (6)
??? Beach (?)
??? Skies (?)

Free Cities Visible at SoT:

None

Ruins Visible at SoT:

None

Turn 209

Altamont Raceway (2)
Basement on a Hill (3)
Castle Donnington (1)
CBGB's (1)
Dark Side of the Moon (9)
Dirty Old Town (6)
E Street (1)
Graceland (9)
Great Walls of Fire (6)
Guitar Town (3)
Hanger 18 (3)
Kokomo (1) - 1 tile island
M???? (4)
Nutbush City (9) - capital of Gong
Palace of the Brine (6)
Paradise City (7)
Pete's End (3)
Ring of Fire (1)
Rutupiae (2) - 1 tile island
Scarborough Fair (1)
Slane Castle (2)
Sugar Mountain (9)
Sunset Strip (3)
Sweet H??? (3)
The Watchtower (6)
Unknown name on NW coast (5)
We Built This City (6)
Whip It! (6)
Whiskeytown (2)
Woodstock (2)
??? Beach (?)
??? Skies (3)

California Girls (1)
Rock Lobsterford (1)
Stony Pony (1)
St. Alophonzo's (2)
Townes van Zandt (5)
Yellow Brick Road (5)

Ruins Visible at SoT:

2SE of Graceland

Turn 210

Altamont Raceway (1)
Basement on a Hill (3)
Castle Donnington (2)
CBGB's (1)
Dark Side of the Moon (7)
Dirty Old Town (5)
E Street (1)
Graceland (7)
Great Walls of Fire (5)
Guitar Town (2)
Hanger 18 (3)
Nutbush City (5) - Capital of Gong
Paradise City (6)
Palace of the Brine (2)
Pete's End (2)
Ring of Fire (1)
Rutapie (1) 1 tile island
Rock Lobsterford (1)
Scarborough Fair (1)
Slane Castle (2)
St. Alphonzo's (2)
Sugar Mountain (7)
The Watchtower (5)
We Built This City (5)
Whip It! (4)
Woodstock (2)
??? Skies (3)

Whiskeytown (3)

Ruins Visible at SoT:

2 SE of Graceland
Hotel California
Kokomo - 1 tile island
M???
Stony Pony
Sunset Strip
Sweet H???
Townes van Zandt
Yellow Brick Road

Turn 211

Altmount Raceway (1)
Basement on a Hill (1)
CBGB's (1)
Dark Side of the Moon (6)
Graceland (6)
Great Walls of Fire (4)
Hanger 18 (1)
Love Shack (1)
Nutbush City (4) - Capital of Gong
Paradise City (5)
Pete's End (1)
Ring of Fire (1)
Rutapie (1) 1 tile island
Scarborough Fair (1)
Sugar Mountain (5)
The Watchtower (4)
We Built This City (4)
Whip It! (3)
Woodstock (3)
??? Malice (?)

Castle Donnington (1)

Ruins Visible at SoT:

2 SE of Graceland
E Street
Guitar Town
Hotel California
Kokomo - 1 tile island
M???
Palace of the Brine
Rock Lobsterford
Slane Castle
Stony Pony
St. Alphonzo's
Sunset Strip
Sweet H???
Townes van Zandt
Whiskeytown
Yellow Brick Road
??? Beach
??? Skies

Turn 212

Altamont Raceway (1)
Basement on a Hill (3)
CBGB's (1)
Dark Side of the Moon (6)
Dirty Old Town (3)
Graceland (6)
Great Walls of Fire (3)
Hanger 18 (1)
Nutbush City (3) - capital of Gong
Pete's End (1)
Ring of Fire (1)
Rutupiae (1) - 1 tile island
Scarborough Fair (1)
Sugar Mountain (4)
The Watchtower (3)
We Built This City (3)
Woodstock (3)
Whip It! (2)
??? Malice (?)

None

Ruins Visible at SoT:

2 SE of Graceland
Castle Donnington
E Street
Guitar Town
Hotel California
Kokomo - 1 tile island
Love Shack
M???
Palace of the Brine
Paradise City
Rock Lobsterford
Slane Castle
Stony Pony
St. Alphonzo's
Sunset Strip
Sweet H???
Townes van Zandt
Whiskeytown
Yellow Brick Road
??? Beach
??? Skies
SE-S of M???
E-SE of M???

This list is taken from the screen shots in the previous post. It is not reconciled to the battle logs.

Empiremaker
Aug 26, 2008, 11:49 AM
CommandoBob, do you want to write a story for the destruction of GONG?

CommandoBob
Aug 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
CommandoBob, do you want to write a story for the destruction of GONG?

This is what I have so far. It is not complete, not by a good bit. I had a longer war in mind. Kuningas changed that! :D

Gong War - After the Start (working title)

Wake up,' said the voice, shaking CommandoBob roughly on the shoulder, 'You need to wake up.'

'Ouch! That hurts! Okay, okay, I'm awake. A bit.'

'Good, you've both got to get dressed and get dressed quickly. We don't have much time.'

Slowly CommandoBob rose up in the bed he was in, finding out that he had a lot of places that were hurting. One eye would not open all the way so he squinted as he glanced over the surrondings.

'Come on,' pestered the voice, still unseeen, and somewhat upset, 'we don't have all day.'

'Yeah. Right,' groaned the aching one, 'What's the big rush?'

'Your pals at FREE have gone nuts and declared war on us. This city has been captured by your people. No one likes that. Some hot heads have taken to shooting at FREE soldiers. I just heard some muttering about you two being here and being easy targets.'

'Ahh, ow, I see. Where are my clothes; I'll get changed.'

'Alright, you get started; I'll awake your partner.'

Slowly, achingly, CommandoBob and Peter Schickele got dressed. As they laboriously got into their own clothing, they got a brief update on their condition and the world around them.

'I'm Dr. Paul Smith, I treated both of you. You both came her unconscious but beside that you have no real permanent injuries. You each have some cracked ribs, but nothing is broken. No signs of concussion or serious cranial injuries. You'll have headaches for a few days though. Your faces are a mass of bruises but your teeth are all intact. We got your glasses replaced so you can still see, but the frames are different.'

Wordlessly, both men of FREE examined their new spectacles. Small, wire frames had been replaced with thick, black, plastic frames.

As one, they donned the dark frame horrors and saw that they could see things in focus.

'Thanks, doc,' said Schickele, thickly.

CommandoBob shook his head slightly and was rewarded with a very lightheaded feeling caused by a blinding pain inside his head.

'Sorry, you don't want to do that,' Dr. Smith chided.

'Oh, yeah, you got that right,' gasped CommandoBob.

'So, physically were fine, right?' asked the other.

'Not fine, but living. You both need a few days bed rest for the pain to go away. The bruising will fade with time. But the war has changed things.'

'In what way?'

'People want to kill you because they blame you for the war. I know, you were here when it started and under sedation at the time, but the masses want a scapegoat and for now it is you two. We've kept your presence here at a low profile, but that protection is gone. People know where you are at.'

'And you've got a plan?' guessed CommandoBob. 'Yes, of course you do, or you would have walked away.'

'I have a plan. No one knows what you look like, really, so it should work. We're going to switch you with two recent victims of the war that look a bit like you. They will stay in your room while you leave.'

'Better than death,' muttered Schickele.

'What do you need from us?' queried CommandoBob.

'ID papers for the bodies, mostly. We'll have to produce them to help validate the death.'

Both men grimaced, but slowly pulled out the required documents and gave them to the doctor. In return, he gave them a similar set of documents.

As CommandoBob opened his he said, 'My new name is, ah, Clark Kent?'

'And I'm Peter Parker?'

'I don't know. I didn't give them their names, ' defened Smith. 'Why, what's wrong with 'em?'

'Uh, well, is mine wearing a red cape with blue leotards and a red bathing suit?'

'And is Parker masked, in a red body suit with a big spider on his chest?'

'I didn't see the bodies when they arrived, but we did have a series of unfortunate events at Science Fiction convention. Why?'

'Nevermind.'

CommandoBob
Aug 26, 2008, 01:02 PM
And from here the planed plotline was that they would become toilet-cleaners at The Great Library in Sugar Mountain and spend the war there.

Maybe we could sign the capitulation documents there next turn? Capture Graceland first and then Sugar Mountain. With The Great Library, the city should not autoraze, even at size 1.

CommandoBob
Aug 27, 2008, 12:31 AM
This looks like a four part event. I've got three of them written and the fourth is just mentally sketched out right now.

1. Graceland (revised from earlier)
2. Sugar Mountain
3. The Great Library
4. The Last Day

CommandoBob
Aug 27, 2008, 12:37 AM
'Wake up,' said the voice, shaking CommandoBob roughly on the houlder, 'You need to wake up.'

'Ouch! That hurts! Okay, okay, I'm awake. A bit.'

'Good, you've both got to get dressed and get dressed quickly. We don't have much time.'

Slowly CommandoBob rose up in the bed he was in, finding out that he had a lot of places that were hurting. One eye would not open all the way so he squinted as he glanced over the surrondings.

'Come on,' pestered the voice, still unseeen, and somewhat upset, 'we don't have all day.'

'Yeah. Right,' groaned the aching one, 'What's the big rush?'

'Your pals at FREE have gone nuts and declared war on us. This city was captured by your people and then retaken by Gong troops. Lots of people died. All the "cultured" places were destroyed. Now that the city is back to being Green, people are angry. I just heard some muttering about you two being here and being easy targets.'

'Ahh, ow, I see. Where are my clothes; I'll get changed.'

'Alright, you get started; I'll awake your partner.'

Slowly, achingly, CommandoBob and Peter Schickele got dressed. As they laboriously got into their own clothing, they got a brief update on their condition and the world around them.

'I'm Dr. Niklas Broberg, I treated both of you. You both came her unconscious but beside that you have no real permanent injuries. You each have some cracked ribs, but nothing is broken. No signs of concussion or serious cranial injuries. You'll have headaches for a few days though. Your faces were a mass of bruises but your teeth are all intact. Most of the bruising is gone by now. We got your glasses replaced so you can still see,
but the frames are different.'

Wordlessly, both men of FREE examined their new spectacles. Small, wire frames had been replaced with thick, black, plastic frames.

As one, they donned the dark frame horrors and saw that they could see things in focus.

'Thanks, doc,' said Schickele, thickly.

CommandoBob shook his head slightly and was rewarded with a very lightheaded feeling caused by a blinding pain inside his head.

'Sorry, you don't want to do that,' Dr. Broberg chided.

'Oh, yeah, you got that right,' gasped CommandoBob.

'So, physically were fine, right?' asked the other.

'Not fine, but living. You both need a few days bed rest for the pain to go away. As I said, the bruising is just about all gone. But the war has changed things. Now, swallow these pills. They'll make the pain go away and fight off any infection you might have picked up here.'

Both men swallowed the small blue pills with a small glass of water.

'You said the war changed things. Okay, how? In what way?'

'People want to kill you because they blame you for the war. I know, you were here when it started and under sedation at the time, but the masses want a scapegoat and for now it is you two. We've kept your presence here at a low profile, but that protection is gone. People know where you are at.'

'And you've got a plan?' guessed CommandoBob. 'Yes, of course you do, or you would have walked away.'

'I have a plan. No one knows what you look like, really, so it should work. We're going to switch you with two recent victims of the war that look a bit like you. They will stay in your room while you leave.'

'Better than death,' muttered Schickele.

'What do you need from us?' queried CommandoBob.

'ID papers for the bodies, mostly. We'll have to produce them to help validate the death.'

Both men grimaced, but slowly pulled out the required documents and gave them to the doctor. In return, he gave them a similar set of documents.

As CommandoBob opened his he said, 'My new name is, ah, Clark Kent?'

'And I'm Peter Parker?'

'I don't know. I didn't give them their names, ' defended Broberg. 'Why, what's wrong with 'em?'

'Uh, well, is mine wearing a red cape with blue leotards and a red bathing suit?'

'And is Parker masked, in a red body suit with a big spider on his chest?'

'I didn't see the bodies when they arrived, but we did have a series of unfortunate events at a Science Fiction/Comic Book convention. Why?'

'Nevermind.'

'So these are our new names. What else?'

Dr. Broberg presented each man with a large, rather lumpy bag that had two padded straps attached to it.

'I've got a backpack for each of you. Food, snacks and a change of clothes are in each one. In the side pockets is enough currency to keep you going for a while.'

'I've also got two train passes for you to get you out of Graceland. These passes will let you go anywhere here that a train goes to. The train station is nearby.'

'Look, Doc, I don't know what to say, but you've overlooked one thing. Our clothes are just too conspicious. No body rides a train, carrying a backpack, dressed in a tuxedo,' observed CommandoBob.

'Oh, that's right.' The doctor turned around and opened up another bag. 'Here, put these on,' handing each a small oblong box.

'Tennis shoes! White tennis shoes with a tuxedo!'

'Calm down, Peter, calm down. White tennis shoes, a tuxedo and a backpack, carried by someone with a beard. Does that seem like a dangerous person?'

'Sounds like an eccentric professor,' quipped CommandoBob.

Schickele nodded his head.

'Well, yeah, I can play that role,' he answered. 'Can you?'

'I can always play the straight man and let you deliver the punch lines,' replied CommandoBob. 'That works for me.'

Quickly the shoes were switched out and the tennis shoed tuxedos combed their hair, picked up the back packs and made ready to leave.

'Doc, this is awful nice of you. We didn't expect such help. Why?'

'Well, I'm not a native of these lands. I came from the land of Dark Blue and as soon as you two clowns shove off I'm heading back home. I'm ready to do some damage to the Purple People Eaters.'

'Well, Dr. Broberg, we do appreciate all your help. Thank you,' said CommandoBob as he stuck out his hand.

'You're welcome,' responded the doctor, 'Quite welcome.'

Both men stared at each other strangely as they shook hands.

'We haven't met before, have we?' asked CommandoBob.

'It sure feels like we have, but then again...'

'Smurkz,' said Schickele.

'Huh?'

'Oh, sorry. I belched,' explained the embarassed professor. 'I swallowed some air with my pills; I do that all the time.'

'Maybe we'll meet again later,' said the doctor. 'But for right now we need to leave.'

'Yes. Come on, Peter Parker, we have a train to catch.'

'Surely, Clark Kent, we shall have a super time.'

CommandoBob
Aug 27, 2008, 12:42 AM
Once outside the medical facility, the visible effects of two occupations in Graceland were hard to see. This portion of the city had been spared any fighting, but the people seemed nervous and skitish. The rain did not help any, either.

'We need to change clothes,' said CommandoBob. 'What Niklas said made some sense, but people will remember two men in tuxedos.'

'I'm hungry. I don't remember the last time I ate.'

Ahead was a small resturant, McGongald's. They entered it and CommandoBob headed for the door that said 'MENS'. The room inside was empty. He entered a stall and flushed the toilet. over the sound of running water he dug through the backpack and found the stash of local currency. A few bills were rather small, but many had 3 digits on them. He took one of those and the smaller ones and stuffed the larger ones into his left front
pocket and the smaller into his right pocket. He exited the room and met his partner outside. Quickly he glanced over the menu and said, 'I'm buying; you find us a place to sit.'

Once he got the meal to the table he sat down and told the other tuxedo, 'Eat fast. We gotta leave soon.' He spoke quietly.

The other one opened up the paper wrapping, took the hand meal and took out a large chunk of it. 'Mmwmwy?' he asked.

'We don't fit in here. We're way overdressed. We stick out like a sore thumb.' He took a sip of his drink and then a bite of food. 'We're about to have a fight.'

'?'

'I'm going to start it, you follow my lead. After it's over, you go left and I'll go right. We'll meet back in the middle one block south of here. Got it?'

Peter swallowed and nodded in reply. 'Got it.'

CommandoBob suddenly stood up, knocking some food onto the floor. 'Take it back!' he said rather loudly, nasally and in a higher pitch than normal. 'You take that back this instance, do you hear?'

Schieckele rose slowly to his feet and placed his hands on the table. 'I will not. What I said was the truth and you know it.' His voice, normally rather soft, now boomed throughout the small room.

'Was not. It's a lie. Lie, lie, lie!' shrilled CommandoBob, and stomping his feet.

'It's the truth, but you're too stupid to see it,' growled the other actor in the drama.

'Oh, now I'm stupid am I? Just last week I was the most brilliant thing you had ever seen. But now I'm stupid.'

'You're stupid and you dye your hair and I don't want to see you again!'

'Well, I can take a hint. But first,' and here he took the remains of his hand meal and slowly spread it all over Peter's face. The meaty portion fell to the table, but the liquids just dripped from his face. Schickele's brows knit together and his face turned deep red.

'Why, you little - ' he began as he pulled his right arm back and balled his fist.

Suddenly a large man in a green uniform with a badge stepped between the two men and pushed them apart.

'Allright, what's going on here, huh? Somebody want to tell me?' he glared at both men, his hands now on his hips.

'He started it,' bleated CommandoBob, with a slight sniff. 'He said the flute player was prettier than I was. And,' here he stopped for a breath and a sob, 'that she didn't have to dye her hair like I did.'

'Oh, I see,' stated the man in green, now obviously a cop, to Peter. 'Trying to break up quietly in a public place, aren't we? Git outta here,' he said, grabbing both men and pulling them towards the door.

'My brother runs a respectable place and your scarin' the customers. Now git,' he said, pushing them out the door.

'But!' wailed CommandoBob.

'Is this your gear?' asked the cop. 'Well, go and get it.' So saying he threw one bag in each direction down the street. 'Go away and don't come back!'

'My treasures!' cried CommandoBob as he went to get the one thrown to the right.

'Good riddance, pest!' growled Peter as he picked up the one thrown to the left and kept walking down the street.

The other one sobbed as he picked up the back pack and continued down the street in the other direction.

In a few minutes the two men met up again. One of them had managed to change clothes.

'I saw a clothing store, looked expensive.' stated CommandoBob.

'I found a receiving dock with a dumpster nearby, down a short alley. My old stuff is in the dumpster.'

'Show me.'

In just a few minutes the other tuxedo was gone, too, and both men were walking to the train station, following the locomotive signs and arrows posted along the streetsides.

'Did you keep the belt, Peter?'

'Yeah, why? It's the only belt I've worn over here.'

'Good. Back in Free, just to be safe because we were traveling abroad, I took the precaution of having a duplicate set of ID papers sewn inside of everyone's belt. I didn't think we need them, but I went ahead and did it, just as insurance. Now that there's a war on -'

'We've got a way to prove who we are, if we need to. Good thinking.'

They walked in silence as they neared the train station.

'Uh, by the way, Mr. Kent, where are we taking the train to?'

'Sugar Mountain, near the coast. Have you ever been to The Great Library? Wonderful place.'

CommandoBob
Aug 27, 2008, 12:47 AM
CommandoBob and Peter Schickele walked into the Grand Plaza of The Great Library and looked around. Off tot the right were public lockers where they stowed their back packs.

'Follow me,' said CommandoBob.

At a leisurely pace the two men strolled through various ante-chambers and displays of ancient and modern wisdom. Then CommandoBob just opened a door and beckoned Schieckle to follow. He did. Without speaking, CommandoBob started walking at a brisk pace down the narrow hallway. Schieckele struggled to keep up. They went up several flights of stairs
and passed many doors. Most had writing above the door frame but there was no time to read. Finally they stopped by a door that looked like all the other doors they had passed before.

'Almost there.'

This door opened up onto a thick carpet in a richly paneled hallway. Still leading the way, CommandoBob strode down the hallway and stopped in front of a door that said 'The Great Librarian' and under that in smaller letters, 'Hector Archimedes'. CommandoBob smiled. 'This is the man we want to see.' And he opened the door.

As expected, this room was nicely decorated. A lady sat behind a desk and seemed suprised to see them. Before she could say a word she was asked 'Is Hector in?' by CommandoBob as he walked across the room to another door. 'Yes, I mean no, he's busy right now,' she began.

'That's okay, he'll see us,' she was told while that door was being opened. The two men walked in and tried to close the door behind them but the secretary kept it open.

'I'm sorry Mr. Archimedes, but they wouldn't listen to me.'

Hector sat behind his desk and looked up from his reading. He looked at the two men and slowly asked, 'What can I do for you?'

'We would like to discuss the cleanliness of the facilites here. Specifically, the cleanliness of the executive facilities,' started CommmandoBob.

The Great Librarian leaned back in his chair and chewed on a pencil.

'Miss Jones, I think I'll be okay. We shouldn't need to call security, but you can if it would make you feel safer.'

'If you say so. I may call security anyway, just in case.'

'Ma'am, we need five minutes alone with your boss. We are not armed and mean no harm. We simply have a private business deal to discuss.'

'Plus,' added Peter, 'five elementary school buses just pulled up out front. Security is going to be more worried about little Johnny destroying a priceless antique than they are about us.'

'What?' exclaimed Archimedes as he jumped up from his chair and looked out the window. 'Five buses? That's not until tomorrow. Miss Jones, go help Security; I'll be down shortly.'

'Yes, Mr. Archimedes, sir.' And she left, closing the door behind her.

'Now, gentlemen, let's make this brief, since I don't have much time. What is this private bussiness deal? How much does she want this time to stay quiet?'

'You've got us wrong,' corrected CommandoBob. 'We're not here about that.'

'Well, hurry up then.'

'Here's the situation. The FreeZers came in and captured the city and did not damage this complex. Gong liberated the city and still no damage. Pretty good. But the city lost a lot of people and those guys in teal are still camped out on the beaches northwest of here. The counterattack cost a lot of lives and until the FreeZers are gone the larger cities are going to be drafted to provide military units.'

'So.'

'So, suddenly this place is extremely important. The Freezers destroyed a lot of libraries, but they left this one untouched. There is probably more learning here than in the rest of Gong combined.'

'Maybe.'

'That means lots of influential people will be coming here. Lot's of big shots using your potties. And that is where we want to help.'

'We do?' asked Schickele.

'You do? How?' shot back Archimedes.

'We want to clean your bathrooms. For a small price, of course.'

'Of course,' sneered Hector, 'And your small price is...'

'Uniform, supplies, a place to sleep and food to eat.'

'Sure,' shot back the disbelieving Librarian.

'Consider your benefits,' countered CommandoBob. 'First, no head count. We won't appear on any audit of the books. Second, you've got plenty of empty and vacant rooms in the lower levels, places that no one goes to anymore. We'll use one of those. Third, that gives you some extra places to put those sons and daughters of the influential who want their children to avoid the rigors of war. And all you have to do is just increase your student count and give us food passes. That shouldn't be too hard, students are always coming and going and their precise number is always sort of vague.'

The Great Librarian sat down, a puzzled look on his face.

'You're serious about this. Do you know how many bathrooms there are here?'

'My last count was 200 stalls each, men and women, in the public area for the masses, about 200 combined stalls in 18 various locations for the support staff, and 50 or so for the executive staff and one, and only one, private potty for you.'

'Yeah, those were the numbers a few years back, but we've grown since then. Six hundred public stalls and 300 support staff stalls.'

Now he got wary.

'But what's in it for you two? That's quite a bit of messy work for a place to sleep and cafteria food to eat.'

'Well,' said CommandoBob, putting on a big smile, 'It's like this. You see, I'm CommandoBob and he is Peter Schickele and we're both FreeZers, and we are sort of responsible for this war and we're just looking for a place to hide out until peace breaks out.'

Archimedes spread his hands wide. 'Okay, okay, if you don't want to tell me just say so. I was curious, that's all. No need to make up stories.'

'Now, I've got to go and help Security with crowd control. You are going to help me. And after that, once we get the ankle biters out of our hair, the potties are yours, gentleman, they are all yours.'

CommandoBob
Aug 27, 2008, 12:51 AM
While not written, CB and PS meet the Prince and Yiral of Gong. CB and PS manage to build a radio or somehow pass information along to Free about current unit placments. They are present when Gong attempts to destory the Great Library and try to prevent it.

CommandoBob
Aug 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evening was just beginning when CommandoBob stepped out onto the roof of The Great Library. For some time now it had been his habit to spend the evenings and part of the night on the highest portion of The Great Library Complex, which towered over the city of Sugar Mountain. The Great Library was built into the side of Sugar Mountain, a fact that he knew quite well. Some parts even went all the way through Sugar Mountain and opened up to the grasslands near the coast, but these were small and well hidden. Right now, as he walked to his little, private spot on the rooftop where he kept his tables and chairs, he noticed the quiet of the city. When he had first arrived it had taken damage from the war, but ever since it had slowly shrunk in size and each night seemed quieter than the last.

As he completed his last steps across the concrete to his terraced retreat on the rooftop he saw that the door was open. Strange. Nothing of any real value was inside, no gold or gems, and the furniture had seen better days. Not too worried, he stepped inside and saw that whoever had broken the padlock was still inside and resting in one of the easy chairs.

'Can I help you?'

The person in the chair arose. He was clad in a dull, dark green outfit, with short, sturdy boots.

'If you are CommandoBob, why, yes you can.'

'CommandoBob? Isn't he a FreeZer? I thought he was dead.'

'Oh, no, he is very much alive, aren't you?'

'But I'm...'

'Clark Kent, yes I know. Hector Archimedes told me all about you.'

'He did?'

'Sure he did, how else would I know where to find you?'

CommandoBob shut his open mouth and then frowned knowingly. 'Touche.'

'And he told me about your pay arrangments. And the private study areas that you rented out to the students here, down in the lower levels.'

'He told you about that?'

'Well, his son let it slip one day. He's a student here, by the way. Hector liked the idea but as Great Librarian he could not implement such a plan. So he did nothing, while you helped him by removing, ah, study distractions, away from the studious.

'And then recently he approached me about his suspicions of you and Peter. And now we are here.

'Allow me to introduce myself. I am PrinceMyshkin, Commander of Gong Forces.'

'Prince MaShooSkin?'

The other laughed slightly. 'No, not even close. Prince will do just fine.'

'Then call me CB. Now, one of the first things I do is fix some coffee when I get here. It's decaf, but it's warm and it does get chilly here. Want some?'

Prince nodded slowly. 'Yes, I think I will have a cup or two.'

'I've got some homemade pizza. It won't take long to cook. Hungry?'

'Now you're talking. Yes!'

The next few minutes were spent making small talk while the pizza baked and the coffee brewed. CB told of how the room had been built, which was mostly with college labor and a great sense of humor. 'I really didn't think they would do all of this, but they just loved the idea of a janitor having his own place on the roof. And building it in secrecy and getting it wired for electricity without other libary people knowing anything about it.'

~~~~~~~
After dinner, Prince asks and CB explains the war (screenshots?), as was seen from here and from Gong newspaper accounts.

CB tells Prince the war is lost, but Prince already knows that.

Prince hints/tells CB about the plan to destroy the Great Library.

16 million tons of C4 for The Great Library.

CB tells Prince that Sugar Mountain sits on a fault line and that much explosives could trigger an earthquake.

Prince has men on the rooftop, protecting him, but CB did not see them.

Prince assigns Vinnie and Mack to be CB's bodyguards out of the city.

Prince and CB part ways.

(None of which conflicts with PrinceMyshkin's story, as far as I can tell).

Empiremaker
Aug 28, 2008, 05:13 PM
I checked the save, and GONG is eliminated.

CommandoBob
Aug 28, 2008, 05:20 PM
I PMed PrinceMyshkin earlier, asking if The Great Library was really destroyed. I wanted to know beacuse that fact would change the story I needed to write. He told me in reply that it was gone; they had resigned.

I haven't said anything about it until we got the save.

(I am finishing the last part of the story and hope to have it posted in a new thread in the UN later tonight.)