View Full Version : Man versus Wild--The guy eats 6 foot long tarantula

Whomp
Jul 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
It's all a fraud! :( The dude gets blueberry pancakes in plush hotels. Is it time for a Navy Seal to do the job instead of a SAS guy?

To viewers of his TV series, Bear Grylls is the daredevil adventurer who catapults himself into world's worst 'hellholes' and then survives on his wits alone.

But it has emerged that far from roughing it in brutal environments, the former SAS man actually spent nights in hotels during filming of his Channel 4 show.

The Eton- educated 33-year- old is also alleged to have choreographed parts of Born Survivor, with many of his spectacular stunts carefully set up by the production crew.

Channel 4 last night began an investigation into the claims, which follow a number of embarrassing incidents in which programmes screened by the station were found to have misled the public.

Grylls's show attracted 1.4million viewers when it was shown in March and April, with audiences enthralled as he demonstrated gruesome survival tips that included sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs and squeezing water from animal dung.

But an adviser to Born Survivor yesterday claimed that many of his other escapades were not exactly as they seemed on TV.

In one episode filmed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains he was shown biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and boasting that he was living on 'just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire'.

Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In another episode when Grylls declared he was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.

Mark Weinert, a survival consultant brought in for the programme, said one show also wrongly gave the impression that the adventurer built a Polynesian- style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo and palm leaves for a sail.

Mr Weinert had in fact led a team that built the raft, which was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown constructing it on camera.

In another episode, Grylls was filmed attempting to lasso 'wild' mustang in the Sierra Nevada, when the horses were actually tame and had been brought in by trailer from a nearby trekking station.

'If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,' Mr Weinert told the Sunday Times.

Channel 4 confirmed that Grylls had used hotels during expeditions and ordered the production company that made the programme to investigate the other claims.

A spokesman said: 'We take any allegations of misleading our audiences seriously.

'Bear does do all his own stunts and does put himself in perilous situations.

'But Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a "how to" guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments. The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls's experience is one of unaided solo survival.'

Grylls had earlier told how Channel 4 bosses had pitched the series to him, saying: 'We just drop you into a lot of different hellholes equipped with nothing, and you do what you have to do to survive.'

Last week Channel 4 had to apologise after it emerged that when Gordon Ramsay was shown appearing to spear a sea bass off the English coast for an episode of The F Word, the scene had been faked.

This month, the operators of the Richard & Judy premium rate TV quiz were hit with a record fine of 150,000 for a phone-in scandal.

Viewers had been urged to call in to the competition even though the shortlist of winners was closed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770

diablodelmar
Jul 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
Firstly, the SAS are better than the Navy Seals, even the TA (reserve) SAS, which is what Grylls was part of (;)lol, just to stomp on any American egoes), and secondly, that is the nature of television. Anyone who for one minute believed it was all authentic is clearly of low intellect. Ever thought of the camera crew? Do you think they would try and live in those conditions while maintaining such equipment as well? I knew from the start a lot of Bear Grylls is faked for viewing purposes.

C~G
Jul 25, 2007, 01:50 PM
It's all a fraud! :( The dude gets blueberry pancakes in plush hotels. Is it time for a Navy Seal to do the job instead of a SAS guy?Navy Seals cannot handle hotel made blueberry pancakes, they only can digest homebaked applepie.

But WTF?
I saw short moment of interview with Conan with this guy and I thought I would like to check out that show.

Too bad if it's a fraud. What's next? Myth of Mythbusters busted?

Whomp
Jul 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
Actually, it's probably comparing apple pies to blueberry pancakes with SAS and Navy Seals.

Delta Force and SAS would be the better comparison.

Fifty
Jul 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
ooh great now this thread turns into a big ol' who's weewee is bigger contest about special forces.

Urederra
Jul 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
I don't get the title of the thread.

shouldn't be 6 feet tarantula?

or 6 tarantulas, one foot each?

or is there a species of tarantulas called foot tarantula?

Anyway. Anybody besides me thinks that television has changed a lot in the last 20 years and that there are too many channels and too few ideas? So the producers have to cheat to attract audience.

Does anybody watch movies on TV any more? Seems to me that it is not profitable to broadcast movies on TV as it was say 20 years ago. People have already saw them or if they want to watch a movie, they just rent/buy it. So TV has to find other type of programs to air.

El_Machinae
Jul 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
If this is the show that I'm thinking, I'm very sad.

Fifty
Jul 25, 2007, 02:04 PM
survivor man was always cooler anyways. he didn't even use a camera crew!

canadian outdoorsy dude > special forces pancake eatin' pansy

Whomp
Jul 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
ooh great now this thread turns into a big ol' who's weewee is bigger contest about special forces.
That was not the intent and I realize that it's all about teamwork amongst all the special forces. The SAS developed the standard that guides them.
I don't get the title of the thread.

shouldn't be 6 feet tarantula?

or 6 tarantulas, one foot each?

or is there a species of tarantulas called foot tarantula?
Edited to correct standards.
If this is the show that I'm thinking, I'm very sad.But it would be nice if someone could actually make a show like this...seeing him squeeze elephant dung for water was pretty cool. Now I'm not sure it was real...:(

Fifty
Jul 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
But it would be nice if someone could actually make a show like this...seeing him squeeze elephant dung for water was pretty cool. Now I'm not sure it was real...:(

They have! It's called Survivor Man. It's a cool Canadian dude who does it all without even a camera crew.

Survivor Man Mountain (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3532358516324128956)

Survivor Man Swamp (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4872647573186628576)

Survivor Man South Utah
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1608290792000082610)

Chandrasekhar
Jul 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, what Fifty said. I knew the first time I watched this show that it was fake, just because he had a freaking camera crew along with him. I mean, I'm not saying that Survivor Man is necessarily 100% authentic, but at least he doesn't have a camera crew... :rolleyes:

Aramazd
Jul 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I figured it was fake. The only episode I saw was the jungle one. I immediately figured that he had a camera crew, and I didn't think they would be roughing it.

Mango
Jul 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
Of course you are supposed to know he has a camera crew. It says so in the credits and he has, on occasion, said that he is out there with just 2 camera men. Of course in the credits they also list a "survival expert" so I've always figured one of the camera men was that expert (or he had an expert with him). In short, I thought it was somewhat fake but not as fake as the report is making it out to be. I thought he really did spend the nights outside, but I also thought that he had someone giving him advice on what to do to overcome certain obstacles.

I also thought that certain things, such as the horses in that one episode, were planted. Can you imagine how many takes it would have taken to get him hitting that rabbit with the throwing stick too? If he missed he would have to find a whole new rabbit. I think he just aimed a stick at it, missed barely, had them cut the shot at the last second and then showed him later eating a roasted rabbit that they had shot somewhere. I dunno, sometimes you fake it a bit for television. The island rescue thing was kind of hokey too. Still, I never imagined he'd actually be staying in motels.

Wolfe Tone
Jul 25, 2007, 03:01 PM
Well it is still an entertaining show. But I'd rather watch Ray Mears

Godwynn
Jul 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
Never watching that show again. I only saw it once though. :)

puglover
Jul 25, 2007, 04:32 PM
I knew it was faked from the very beginning. How can a show seriously put its host in serious physical danger while having a camera crew watching innocently from the sidelines? Talk about liability.

Honestly, I never watched the show because I had the nagging suspicious it was all a sham. I guess I've been proven right.

Adamb0mb
Jul 25, 2007, 04:41 PM
Saw him drink his own urine... that was interesting.

Shadylookin
Jul 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
To me the show seemed like a really low budget British version of MacGyver without a plot.

Catharsis
Jul 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
Whoa, you mean stuff on TV is fake? :wow:

Ginger_Ale
Jul 25, 2007, 06:53 PM
'If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,' Mr Weinert told the Sunday Times.

That quote sums it up the best. It was disappointing to read this thread, since I watch Man vs. Wild nearly every Friday and have seen all the episodes. A lot of the criticism I've read is that he does stuff that is too "dramatized", "risky", or just plain "stupid". Sure, I'll give you that - after all, it's television, you want viewers to be entertained. I watch his show for entertainment and information about a subject I don't really know. If I was in a similar situation, would I do the stuff he does? Probably not. I think the show is more or less about how he would survive, not any normal person.

Of course, this all goes out the window with reading this article. I've seen other reports about how the show isn't as tough as it seems, but nothing in depth like this. It's hard to imagine a guy would intentionally want to mislead people about the very core of the show. I have seen the ads on the Discovery Channel for Survivorman with Les Stroud, and while I may keep watching Man vs. Wild just for fun, I'll also give that show a try. Man vs. Wild - pure survival? I doubt it; it's hard to imagine all this stuff (staying at motels/hotels, "planting" of things, etc.) though...

Bugfatty300
Jul 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
Watched some shows. He's always bouncy, perky and full of energy even though he has supposedly been stranded in the middle of nowhere for three or four days.

There's another show which seems much more realistic. A Canadian show. (I always though he was American because the igloo he built was a sorry looking piece of..)

Chandrasekhar
Jul 25, 2007, 11:19 PM
(I always though he was American because the igloo he built was a sorry looking piece of..)

:lol: I can't decide what the funniest part of that statement is...

bhsup
Jul 26, 2007, 06:16 AM
I know this is going to come as a shock to some, but the fight between Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan was staged as well. Abandon all faith, ye who flick on the boob tube.

Lucius Julius
Aug 05, 2007, 11:50 PM
Wow, this guy is truly a fraud....Survivorman (Les Stroud) is a lot better than this guy, and more intertaining to watch too, because at least you know he does not use a camera crew, he films himself and carries the video camera everywhere with him.

Lol, Bear Grylls sleeps at hotels, and eats blueberry pancakes for breakfast! ;(

Cheezy the Wiz
Aug 05, 2007, 11:56 PM
I know this is going to come as a shock to some, but the fight between Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan was staged as well. Abandon all faith, ye who flick on the boob tube.

I told people his real name was "Andre the Moderately Tall" and that the camera was just down low for effect, but no one believed me...

contre
Aug 06, 2007, 12:10 AM
Fifty is right. Survivorman rocks.

On the Discovery Channel in Canada, they showed Survivorman's balls. Dunno if they censored it in the states. I thought that was simply awesome. Way cooler than Mr. SAS.

DNK
Aug 06, 2007, 12:24 AM
They have! It's called Survivor Man. It's a cool Canadian dude who does it all without even a camera crew.

Survivor Man Mountain (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3532358516324128956)

Survivor Man Swamp (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4872647573186628576)

Survivor Man South Utah
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1608290792000082610)Finally I can actually watch the show. I only got to see 5 min when they showed it on Discovery one night. Thanks :goodjob:

Anyway, MvW is obviously a lame version of Survivor Man. Not to mention half the "advice" Bear gives would probably end up killing your average lost-in-the-woods type. Yeah, just climb down a waterfall with a 75 degree slope, no problem! Much better than walking through undergrowth... Or lets climb a 200ft tree just to get the lay of the land. I mean, everyone has infinite stamina and upper body strength. I'm sure it wouldn't end up stranding or killing your average person... Or, better yet, lets swim through freezing cold rivers and do some push ups and everything will be fine, since a boat will miraculously save us before we succumb to hypothermia!

Ansar
Aug 06, 2007, 12:25 AM
Are there even 6 ft. tarantulas?

I thought tarantulas were like, spiders (spiders, AFAIK, aren't that big).

Cheezy the Wiz
Aug 06, 2007, 12:28 AM
Are there even 6 ft. tarantulas?

I thought tarantulas were like, spiders (spiders, AFAIK, aren't that big).

A tarantula IS a spider, fool! The largest reach around 13 inches across.

Ansar
Aug 06, 2007, 12:31 AM
A tarantula IS a spider, fool! The largest reach around 13 inches across.
I know a tarantula is a spider (sorry I made it sound like I didn't know).

El_Machinae
Aug 06, 2007, 12:43 AM
Thank goodness, it was Survivorman who I was thinking of. I didn't know he was from Canada, though that explains why I've seen a few episodes.

Cheezy the Wiz
Aug 06, 2007, 12:46 AM
I know a tarantula is a spider (sorry I made it sound like I didn't know).

Don't try and play it off, who do you think you're talking to, anyway? I know you think you're tough stuff crusing through the forums, casually casting aside facts like it's out of style. It's because you think TF is on your side, right? I mean, why else would he have changed your SN for you? You've got this whole inside job going now and you can just walk all over the average Joe because you've got the connections. You're like Wal-Mart, next thing you know, you'll be subjugating poor Chinese workers to act like morons in you place, and good, hard-working American dumbasses will lose their jobs to people who get paid half as much, and all thanks to you. Does it make you feel good to sabotage the capitalist system we have here, does it? I hope so, you sick twisted communist jerkoff. I know you think it doesn't affect you because Florida has a booming economy, well you never thought about all those little guys working hard to be stupid, did you? No, and why should you? You're benefitting from the public education system, you aren't paying the government a dime to teach you nothing! It's no wonder you've got that avatar with the sly face, you think you're pulling a fast one on America. It's like that dog on the Simpsons, with the shifty eyes; everyone knows you're doing it, they're just humoring you to make you feel smart, when in reality you're just some low-down half-witted mongrel. It's sad, really, by your own hand you've ruined yourself. Your inferior sweatshop morons in Shanghai call that Karma. So enjoy rotting in the coffin you've put the nails in yourself, and remember, Jesus loves even you. You sick ?
That was very unCheesy like and it cost you.

Junglecutter
Aug 06, 2007, 03:24 AM
After reading the article, I'll probably never watch this show again. I also keep seeing the shadows of the camera people on every show

wicshade
Aug 06, 2007, 08:15 AM
i've don't watch many of these "survivor reality show", i my self like to do an occasional week of roughing it, which all i do is buy a box of cigars 5 liters of wiskey, go up to the appalachian mountains, for about 5 days, and just get drunk and shoot stuff. It's not that hard to rough it for a week or two, true the mountains are different then a jungle, the only thing i don't get about these reality t.v. shows is nobody ever smoking a cigar or anything to keep the bugs away, also you will won't to consume a good deal of garlic aswell.
The only thing bad about the outdoors is all the bugs, you can get eatin practicly eatin alive, im sure these guys have them selves coverd in bug spray and a bunch of mesh as well.

Cheezy the Wiz
Aug 06, 2007, 11:39 AM
Eating garlic keeps bugs away?

wicshade
Aug 06, 2007, 12:03 PM
Eating garlic keeps bugs away?

yeah you can buy it in pills, but mesquitos and ticks are what i hate, don't want to get lime dissease or rocky mountain fever. You have to eat enough of it so it will come out of your pores, or you can eat these things called rams they are a wild onion, good but nasty smell. Also if you smoke a cigar bugs will generaly stay away(preferred method.), + the smell is much more pleansant then garlic permeating through your pores.

Ansar
Aug 06, 2007, 01:24 PM
Don't try and play it off, who do you think you're talking to, anyway? I know you think you're tough stuff crusing through the forums, casually casting aside facts like it's out of style. It's because you think TF is on your side, right? I mean, why else would he have changed your SN for you? You've got this whole inside job going now and you can just walk all over the average Joe because you've got the connections. You're like Wal-Mart, next thing you know, you'll be subjugating poor Chinese workers to act like morons in you place, and good, hard-working American dumbasses will lose their jobs to people who get paid half as much, and all thanks to you. Does it make you feel good to sabotage the capitalist system we have here, does it? I hope so, you sick twisted communist jerkoff. I know you think it doesn't affect you because Florida has a booming economy, well you never thought about all those little guys working hard to be stupid, did you? No, and why should you? You're benefitting from the public education system, you aren't paying the government a dime to teach you nothing! It's no wonder you've got that avatar with the sly face, you think you're pulling a fast one on America. It's like that dog on the Simpsons, with the shifty eyes; everyone knows you're doing it, they're just humoring you to make you feel smart, when in reality you're just some low-down half-witted mongrel. It's sad, really, by your own hand you've ruined yourself. Your inferior sweatshop morons in Shanghai call that Karma. So enjoy rotting in the coffin you've put the nails in yourself, and remember, Jesus loves even you. You sick F!ck.
That is the coolest post ever. :)

bigdog5994
Aug 06, 2007, 02:16 PM
even if these allegations are true (they dont make any sense to me) im still gonna watch the show, you learn a lot by watching it and its entertaining i mean i would have never in a million years thought that you could squeeze the water out of elephant dung and drink it or eat a raw snake whole

DID you guys know that Nigel Marvin wasn't really chased by dinosaurs!!!

wicshade
Aug 06, 2007, 02:48 PM
actualy if you ate a raw snake you'd have about a 1 and 3 chances of getting saminala, all egg laying creatures potetialy have it.

Murky
Aug 06, 2007, 02:52 PM
I used to watch this show a lot but haven't lately. I just enjoy the scenery of the places they visit. I remember that show of the Pacific Island. There's no way he built that boat in only a few days by himself. It had to be constructed by someone who had experience building them.

bigdog5994
Aug 06, 2007, 03:17 PM
actualy if you ate a raw snake you'd have about a 1 and 3 chances of getting saminala, all egg laying creatures potetialy have it.

well if i was starving half to death in the middle of the wilderness i'd do it

Red Door
Aug 06, 2007, 03:20 PM
He cooks the snake's though.

Catharsis
Aug 06, 2007, 03:21 PM

If you ate a raw snake whole you'd have a 1 in 3 chance of getting strangely aroused.

bigdog5994
Aug 06, 2007, 03:29 PM
He cooks the snake's though.

not in that one episode where hes in the sierra nevada and he eats that one little water snake and it was still moving, member? you member

Red Door
Aug 06, 2007, 04:36 PM
not in that one episode where hes in the sierra nevada and he eats that one little water snake and it was still moving, member? you member

No, I don't 'member, but I do type coherent English.

Ansar
Aug 06, 2007, 04:37 PM
He's from Alabama. Get used to it.

(I'm just kidding, bigdog :))

Cheezy the Wiz
Aug 06, 2007, 04:41 PM
That is the coolest post ever. :)

You should link it in your sig :yup:

wicshade
Aug 06, 2007, 04:47 PM

actualy any animal can carry salmenlla in their digestive tract, but you would be better off being halfway starved in the wild than you would be with vomiting and diahrea. I think he was only eating the snake for shock points not to provide you with helpful tips, if you do end up in the wild you'd be best off eating grubs and worms raw you would be less likely to get sick or a parasite, and what ever you do don;t eat raw fish from fresh water, you might just get yourself one of those 40 ft long tape worms growing in your stohmach.

contre
Aug 06, 2007, 04:55 PM

I remember!

SonicX
Aug 06, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well, when watching TV you always have 2 choices. Either you're being incredibly sceptic and can't enjoy a single show anymore, or you're being "conciously naive" and just play along for the excitement value.
I go for the latter. I know most stuff is fake or cheated one or another, but for the sake of entertainment, I'll just mindlessly play along, ignoring the critiques or flaws.

It's also the only way to enjoy cycling (Tour) on TV I guess.

bigdog5994
Aug 06, 2007, 06:32 PM
He's from Alabama. Get used to it.

(I'm just kidding, bigdog :))

actually i got that from George Lopez

Whomp
Aug 06, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'm completely off Man against Wild. I just got a double dose of Cash Cab and Survivorman in the Artic. Wow, what a combo. I have gained enormous respect for Canadians and SAS has lost a little luster tbh.

Dawgphood001
Aug 06, 2007, 07:09 PM

Spelling nazism, for when you have nothing worthwhile to be proud of.:p

robo-snickers
Aug 07, 2007, 12:50 AM
yah he also drank his own piss, i rather eat a 10 foot spider then drink my peepee

DNK
Aug 09, 2007, 10:06 AM
I used to watch this show a lot but haven't lately. I just enjoy the scenery of the places they visit. I remember that show of the Pacific Island. There's no way he built that boat in only a few days by himself. It had to be constructed by someone who had experience building them.Maybe he didn't design it, but the size/complexity didn't seem outside of any one person's ability to make in a couple days.

I'm not sure actually making a horridly built raft and going out into the middle of the ocean with few supplies in the vain hopes of running into an inhabited island or boat is a very good survival decision, though. I'd stay with the island, myself.

contre
Aug 18, 2007, 09:11 PM
LOLOLOLOL@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Phlegmak
Aug 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
LOLOLOLOL@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

That was juicy.

http://boldt.us/4556-2/ROFL_MAO

SG-17
Aug 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
I havent seen Man vs. Wild in a while, Survivorman is better any way.
Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_LkdCt2P8

T.A JONES
Aug 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
Yah Survivorman aka ruggedman comes out on top, rugged.

Aramazd
Aug 18, 2007, 10:58 PM
I havent seen Man vs. Wild in a while, Survivorman is better any way.
Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_LkdCt2P8
:lol:That was a good one.

Red Door
Aug 18, 2007, 11:19 PM
Survivorman is more real, but seriously, Bear Grylls was 10x cooler than Survivorman. "Glac-iers, etc." We need Survivorman with Bear Grylls as the survivor guy.

Murky
Aug 19, 2007, 07:24 AM
Survivorman is more real, but seriously, Bear Grylls was 10x cooler than Survivorman. "Glac-iers, etc." We need Survivorman with Bear Grylls as the survivor guy.

The problem there is that in order for it to be really cool the guy has to take bigger risks. The art of survival is really about minimizing the risk of injury while doing what ever it takes to find food and water. Surviving is about staying alive not doing dare devil stunts for the camera.