View Full Version : Half White - Half Mexican people - other mixes

Elta
Jul 29, 2007, 04:42 AM
I've noticed in the 50+ people I've meet who I knew were the same mix I am
and all of us looked either like light skined mexican people or italian people (okay 80+% of the people's white side were at least part italian but thats another story)

I suppose that is what would be expected since most mexican people are only half native blood anyways but, most 100% Spanish people are pretty easy to tell apart from 100% English people.

Once someone tells you, it's like OHHH I thought you weren't "Normal" but it is not like you notice it right away.

Anyways those of you who knw other latino*-european mix people do you think most of them look entierly latino(a) or white?

* ones with at least part native blood

Opinions on what other mixes look more or less like?

P.S. half asian - white or latina chicks are hot :goodjob: one of the reasons I love Guadalajara ;) :king:

Rossiya
Jul 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
and all of us looked either like light skined mexican people or italian people (okay 80+% of the people's white side were at least part italian but thats another story)

Is it me, or have you become much more, um, perhaps proud or more willing to speak of your Italian heritage? Some time ago, I don't think you said much about your Italian blood.

warpus
Jul 29, 2007, 05:41 PM
Obsessed with races much?

Rossiya
Jul 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
Who is that directed to?

Kennigit
Jul 29, 2007, 06:33 PM
Pretty much all of the 1/2 Puerto Ricans that I've met have a lighter-skinned complection (white to be pollitically incorrect). Thats about all I can think of.

CivGeneral
Jul 29, 2007, 07:14 PM
I am pretty much all Caucasian with a whole mix of European Nationalities including a French Colonly that was taken by the British during the French and Indian War.

Norseone
Jul 29, 2007, 07:31 PM
I have met one half Mexican and he basically looked white. I figured he was Italian...heck iv met Italians darker than him. I have met a few half cubans and they were all pretty white(they were brothers though ;))

EDIT and on the half asian thing I thought Keanu Reeves was white for the longest time.

Ansar
Jul 29, 2007, 07:44 PM
I know a girl that's half hispanic, half American.

She's definetily a mix of both races. I would have never guessed she was hispanic.

But Elta, you definetily look hispanic.

luiz
Jul 29, 2007, 08:21 PM
I think Latin American people are way too mixed and diverse to fit in the strictly linear american view on races. It is entirely possible to be both white and "latino" (just go to Argentina), so I don't see how one can be "half white and half latino".

downtown
Jul 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
^^^ bingo.

I'm "half white, half latino". Another name for that is white guys with tans

The Yankee
Jul 29, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think Latin American people are way too mixed and diverse to fit in the strictly linear american view on races. It is entirely possible to be both white and "latino" (just go to Argentina), so I don't see how one can be "half white and half latino".

I agree. Plus I've met some wonderful Argentines that were not very many shades darker than I am...and I'm turning whiter by the day.

That said, I'm half or nearly half Polish and I'm a mutt of everything else. Russian, Ukrainian, Texan (since their revolution vs. Mexico, which probably just goes back to the British Isles at some point in the past, my last name had to come from somewhere, after all...and even if it might be fairly decently known in Texas, it's older than Texas, so it's got to go back to the old countries) plus Jewish blood (if you want to count that) mixed in as well.

Elta
Jul 30, 2007, 05:06 AM
Is it me, or have you become much more, um, perhaps proud or more willing to speak of your Italian heritage? Some time ago, I don't think you said much about your Italian blood.
A lot of college kids who are Mexican say a lot of dumb stuff about immgration which happens to piss me off because of how little it helps the situation and because they assume all white people do XXXX and think XXXXX so when I tell them something they allways go "oh well you know he is really half white so he would think that" :mad: :mad:

I've been playing Mideval total war 2 as Sicily a lot :lol: ( my great grandfather is from there)

I don't think I have been more willing or proud* but, You probably noticed me trying to be the voice of reasonability a lot in U.S. immagration threads so my Mexican side was more prominant.

*from the research I did into my last name recently it seems that my ancestors were probably Pirates from France and Sicily and I've gotta say thats pretty cool ;) :king: but, not to change what I say when people ask of my ancestory or anything like that.

I sometimes don't mention that my dad is actually irish and italian because he is so dark skined any way the only noticable irish features we have are our horrible sunburns and freckles (the freckles are from my mom 2) + the fact that our hair turns slightly red in the summer - but that is also partly from my mom since her natural hair is reder than my dads and they both have a red tint in there hair.

I know a girl that's half hispanic, half American.

She's definetily a mix of both races. I would have never guessed she was hispanic.

But Elta, you definetily look hispanic.

Yeah but, you would be supprised how dark my dad get after even a bit of sun, when he works in the summer all of the mexican painter guys call him Oaxaca :lol: I'll post a picture of my mom in my dad at the same age and a picture of me and you will be able to tell how much I look like both of them.

Narz
Jul 30, 2007, 06:40 AM
My last two girlfriends have been half Italian. I don't do it on purpose I just like dark haired, shorter girls. My current GF (jamielor!) is a combo of Czech and Italian. Quite nice actually.

I imagine Southest Asian + Eastern European would be absolutely stunning.

One of the prettiest girls I ever met was Mexican though (very pale Mexican, probably 90% Spanish, 10% Native). I tend to like Mexicans in general. I think "mixed" is somewhat of a misnomer since pretty much everyone is "mixed" to some extent. Especially "Latinos(as)" (mix of white + native american) and "African-Americans" (almost all have at least 1/4 white in them).

Rossiya
Jul 30, 2007, 06:43 AM
My last two girlfriends have been half Italian. I don't do it on purpose I just like dark haired, shorter girls. My current GF (jamielor!) is a combo of Czech and Italian.

She was obviously Italian. I was going to ask if she was Italian, in fact.

Narz
Jul 30, 2007, 06:47 AM
I typed in Romanian Asian Girl and got this.

http://thumbs.photo.net/photo/3024407-sm.jpg

Not quite what I had in mind but kind of cute.

Narz
Jul 30, 2007, 06:48 AM
She was obviously Italian. I was going to ask if she was Italian, in fact.
Yeah, she looks very Italian, she got all the Italian genes I guess. :D Her sister is much fairer. She speaks Italian too, btw, having spent a year in Bologna in college.

Rossiya
Jul 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, she looks very Italian, she got all the Italian genes I guess. :D Her sister is much fairer. She speaks Italian too, btw, having spent a year in Bologna in college.

Ergo, she is one cool person. :) It's always good when people of Italian descent learn the mother tongue, even if it is nothing like the dialect that their ancestors would have spoken. Where in the boot is your gf from, may I be so bold as to ask?

odintheking
Jul 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hey, I'm a Whitexican!

Bill3000
Jul 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hispanics arn't a "race".

CartesianFart
Jul 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
Hispanics arn't a "race".Can you explain why?

Bill3000
Jul 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
Can you explain why?

Other than the fact that race is biologically nonsense in the first place, the latin americans are a diverse combination of european, native american, and african ancestry, in differing amounts in various areas. There is no one population which singles them out as unique.

luiz
Jul 30, 2007, 12:37 PM
Can you explain why?

Because they can be white, black, yellow or whatever possible mix?

Saying that someone is "hispanic" is not saying anything about his appearance, culture, or whatever. Some people classified as "hispanic" by the US gvt. don't even speak spanish.

"Race" is already quite a meaningless term as far as humans go, and even within this limited context "hispanic" is particularly meaningless.

Edit: crosspost with Bill300 who explained it perfectly.

Elta
Jul 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hispanics arn't a "race".
* my cross post was late but, it was a crosspost, I was reading another thread before I tyed this :(

The mix I mentioned was native-spanish and white (other general european lineage people)

Genetisist tell us that there are (if looking at the blood) well over 10k races (that is to say dominante gene lineages from paticular men) some happen to look more like other groups next to them -

For example
A Irishmen and Nigerian will look very diff an will be easy to tell apart

A Irishmen and a Spainard will look more a like and be easy to tell apart

Remember the artical a while back (belive it was posted here to) about a Irish king who had 12 sons and that a look at the blood of over 100,000 Irish people world wide shows tat out of the 100 million+ Irish people in the world that one king probably fathered 12% of all Irish people :eek:
A trained eye might be able to tell the diff. between his children and other Irishmen.

Or how about Iceland? Vikings raided Ireland and since it was all men on there way to Iceland they kidnapped the prettyest girls in Ireland - I am sure someone from Ireland or Norway could tell the diff. between there own kind and a Icelander.

There is no such thing as "race" unless you are talking about things that help you generalise about what continent there ansestors came from such as skin tone, face shape, hair and eye color etc etc

We are all just slight variations of each other and we are all mixed with 1000s of major lineage lines.

Allthou I think Meztizo would be better than hispanics when speaking of people who are obviosly part native and spanish but, then people would get mad if they were called meztizo and not indian or spanish - so we generalise

CartesianFart
Jul 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
Other than the fact that race is biologically nonsense in the first place, the latin americans are a diverse combination of european, native american, and african ancestry, in differing amounts in various areas.What do you mean by "biologically nonsense?":confused:

Also, to be particular, I have to say that I have once read somewhere that "hispanic" was used to denote a Cuban national who happen to be of the ancestry of African slaves and Spanish origin who share a commonality with other people of different mixes; that is the language that they share.

There is no one population which singles them out as unique.Now, I find this puzzling. Are you referring to biology as the general science of life or something of cultural anthropology or ethnology?

CartesianFart
Jul 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
I find "hispanic" (or Latino) as useful as defining American English language to its mother country of England. That is Spain.

Elta
Jul 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
What do you mean by "biologically nonsense?":confused:

Also, to be particular, I have to say that I have once read somewhere that "hispanic" was used to denote a Cuban national who happen to be of the ancestry of African slaves and Spanish origin who share a commonality with other people of different mixes; that is the language that they share.

Now, I find this puzzling. Are you referring to biology as the general science of life or something of cultural anthropology or ethnology?

I belive all 3 of us are only talking about ethnicity not ethnology/civilization/culture/ideaology or anything else like that.

CartesianFart
Jul 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
I belive all 3 of us are only talking about ethnicity not ethnology/civilization/culture/ideaology or anything else like that.Sorry about that.

It is just a bothersome endeavor to give fixed meaning to certain words since most narrative in whatever departmentalized fields (such as ethnology or cultural anthropology and many others) have their own way of applying "hispanic" differently.

Elta
Jul 30, 2007, 01:00 PM
Sorry about that.

It is just a bothersome endeavor to give fixed meaning to certain words since most narrative in whatever departmentalized fields (such as ethnology or cultural anthropology and many others) have their own way of applying "hispanic" differently.

Yeah, the census dept. needs to get their act together ;)

CartesianFart
Jul 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
Back to Bill's remark saying that in attempt to define one race as being singularly a isolated geographic phenomenon as biologically nonsense is fallacious I think. To even suppose that if there was such one race interbreeding in a place where no contamination from another race of the same species in another geographic population is something that cannot be proven.

the latin americans are a diverse combination of european, native american, and african ancestry, in differing amounts in various areas. There is no one population which singles them out as unique
So in consequence, even we can't trace the origin of these generic terms such as European, Native American, African which are the ingredients of what give the taxonomic definition of" Latin Americans" or "Hispanic."

Narz
Jul 31, 2007, 01:13 AM
Ergo, she is one cool person. :) It's always good when people of Italian descent learn the mother tongue, even if it is nothing like the dialect that their ancestors would have spoken. Where in the boot is your gf from, may I be so bold as to ask?
Thanks. Her grandfather is from Sicily, her grandmother is from Foggia (on the Adriatic side across from Greece she says).

paulc87
Jul 31, 2007, 01:21 AM
Mixed race people are disgusting

robo-snickers
Jul 31, 2007, 01:23 AM
you guys are all muts!!

Rossiya
Jul 31, 2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks. Her grandfather is from Sicily, her grandmother is from Foggia (on the Adriatic side across from Greece she says).

And of course, she is right. :king:

Zarn
Jul 31, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm a Latin and European American, and when I see other European Americans and Latin Americans (mestizo type), 'race' doesn't register in my head. When I see Africans and Asians, I almost always do.

downtown
Aug 01, 2007, 08:48 AM
Saying that someone is "hispanic" is not saying anything about his appearance, culture, or whatever. Some people classified as "hispanic" by the US gvt. don't even speak spanish.

Yup! For example, us Brazilian-Americans. To be "Hispanic" in the US, a grandparent (or parent) has to be from a latin american country, Spain, Portugal, or a few carabiean islands. I sure don't speak spanish...but I'm "Hispanic".

Mixed race people are disgusting

What??

bhsup
Aug 01, 2007, 02:21 PM
... us Brazilian-Americans... ...I sure don't speak spanish...

:confused: Er, if you did speak another language, wouldn't it be Portuguese anyway, rather than Spanish?

Bill3000
Aug 01, 2007, 02:25 PM
Back to Bill's remark saying that in attempt to define one race as being singularly a isolated geographic phenomenon as biologically nonsense is fallacious I think. To even suppose that if there was such one race interbreeding in a place where no contamination from another race of the same species in another geographic population is something that cannot be proven.
No, that's actually quite provable via genetics. Via various genetic traces it's possible to trace one's ancestry to particular past populations. The only way in the first place to have proper categories for race is to have a relatively well defined isolation, and that doesn't occur to the point of the classic races. If you were to use the same genetic variability level for, say, the Europeans, you'd get a ton of African "races" as a result; (Africans count for an incredibly high percentage of genetic diversity) to group it otherwise would be like calling all members of the cat family the species of the house cat.

So in consequence, even we can't trace the origin of these generic terms such as European, Native American, African which are the ingredients of what give the taxonomic definition of" Latin Americans" or "Hispanic."
But it's not semantically meaningful. Some populations in Latin America will be something like 95% Mestizo, and others almost 70% European ancestry. If you're talking about any particular biological difference, there can be a huge difference in both look and relative genetic variation due to the various mixes.

While it's extremely easy for a member outside of a diverse group to categorize all members of that group as one and the same, that is not good for a rigorous classification.

Er, if you did speak another language, wouldn't it be Portuguese anyway, rather than Spanish?
Latin american != Hispanic american. Latin America includes the french americans, too. And it's not just Quebecois; The french speaking carribeans count as well.

downtown
Aug 01, 2007, 02:26 PM
:confused: Er, if you did speak another language, wouldn't it be Portuguese anyway, rather than Spanish?

Right. I was alluding to Luiz's post, which appeared in insinuate that is crazy that some "Hispanics" in America do not speak Spanish. I'm in that group.

Sorry, should have been more clear.

bhsup
Aug 01, 2007, 02:28 PM
Heh. The only ones I grew up with that ever spoke Spanish were the ones that took Spanish language classes in school and learned it right along with me. :)

Ansar
Aug 01, 2007, 02:41 PM
Heh. The only ones I grew up with that ever spoke Spanish were the ones that took Spanish language classes in school and learned it right along with me. :)
Well, we hispanics tend to avoid the Midwest and most states except for CA, NY, and FL. :p

bhsup
Aug 01, 2007, 02:45 PM
Erm.... You might want to let everyone here in on that secret. They might be a bit surprised to learn they are supposed to be avoiding us here in the heartland. ;)

downtown
Aug 01, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well, we hispanics tend to avoid the Midwest and most states except for CA, NY, and FL. :p

Whoops! I missed the memo.

CartesianFart
Aug 01, 2007, 04:39 PM
No, that's actually quite provable via genetics. Via various genetic traces it's possible to trace one's ancestry to particular past populations. The only way in the first place to have proper categories for race is to have a relatively well defined isolation, and that doesn't occur to the point of the classic races. If you were to use the same genetic variability level for, say, the Europeans, you'd get a ton of African "races" as a result; (Africans count for an incredibly high percentage of genetic diversity) to group it otherwise would be like calling all members of the cat family the species of the house cat.Which reminds me of the problem of universals.:twitch:

But it's not semantically meaningful. Some populations in Latin America will be something like 95% Mestizo, and others almost 70% European ancestry. If you're talking about any particular biological difference, there can be a huge difference in both look and relative genetic variation due to the various mixes.Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, if you are saying what I think you mean, that means that the only right way to classify a person that is not a meaningless terms such as European, or latin, but to say only what quality each particular person have in common with others (such as what particular pigmentation percentage or how high the eyebrow as many examples).

While it's extremely easy for a member outside of a diverse group to categorize all members of that group as one and the same, that is not good for a rigorous classification.To me, on how I make sense of it, is to say that just because one particular group on whatever continent have some same genetic trace with another particular group of a different continent does not necessarily imply that one migrated to another geographic area. They share the same portion of DNA but that does not prove that a migration and interbreeding have taken place.