View Full Version : Term 6: Office of the Warlord

Joe Harker
Jul 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hi and welcome to my Headquarters near the German border

This office will take up the role of giving all units except workers, settlers, missonaries, their orders for each turnchat!

This thread will expand (hopefully!:))

Joe Harker
Jul 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
As my first annoucement as warlord, I will make (Admiral) Provolution my deputy and Head of the navy, since he has some good ideas for it and it saves me from having to do it! :)

Provolution
Jul 30, 2007, 03:11 PM
Signing up Khan Harker, I harken your name!

Admiral Provolution.

dutchfire
Aug 01, 2007, 11:14 AM
When do you feel we'll be ready to declare war on Germany, and please start up discussion/polls when you do.

DaveShack
Aug 01, 2007, 11:56 AM
In demogames past, we have strictly separated responsibility for the decision to declare war (Foreign Affairs, President/Chieftain, or Citizens) from the planning for the war itself (Military).

If we followed tradition, the Chieftain would be leading discussions on when the people want war and what the goals should be, and the Warlord would be leading discussion on what the military can accomplish and what is needed to improve that capability.

dutchfire
Aug 01, 2007, 12:04 PM
In demogames past, we have strictly separated responsibility for the decision to declare war (Foreign Affairs, President/Chieftain, or Citizens) from the planning for the war itself (Military).

If we followed tradition, the Chieftain would be leading discussions on when the people want war and what the goals should be, and the Warlord would be leading discussion on what the military can accomplish and what is needed to improve that capability.

Or in other words "Get to work, you lazy bum!".

I'd still like to know when he thinks he's ready though.

fed1943
Aug 01, 2007, 01:10 PM
My dear Warlord:

I am here to introduce you the people of our fair Munich who feels great
likeness with your ways.

Said city shall begin its basic training and - if needed - within 4 turns will
begin to build experienced military units, as your request.

If not right now needed, then Munich, much to its chagrin, will go on with
some builderish tasks.

And I must also say you that, unless a military emergency is declared, the
other 3 NE cities ( Xanadu, Cologne and Berlin) shall perform other tasks.

Hoping to ear from you before the instruction times arrive.

Sincerely yours,

Joe Harker
Aug 01, 2007, 03:15 PM
Or in other words "Get to work, you lazy bum!".

I'd still like to know when he thinks he's ready though.

If you start the thread, then i will post my thoughts in there! ;)

I will compile my thoughts tonight.

HUSch
Aug 02, 2007, 10:42 AM
How long will be the turn? Have we war at the end of it? Or will be more peaceful time for our empire?

Joe Harker
Aug 02, 2007, 12:07 PM
I would say that the next turnchat should be a peaceful one, with a build up of troops to finish the Germans off.

Provolution
Aug 03, 2007, 04:33 AM
Remember to build macemen with Cover/City Raider promotions, and catapults with double collateral. Knights are not that important now.

Joe Harker
Aug 03, 2007, 04:58 AM
The instructions i gave were the ones that I desperatly need, we have quite a lot of free macemen waiting to do something!

Provolution
Aug 03, 2007, 05:18 AM
I agree on the instructions now :) Just stating the general idea.

Joe Harker
Aug 03, 2007, 05:54 AM
I think we may need a city just to produce cats, because we are starting to run short of them!

Hyronymus
Aug 03, 2007, 06:53 AM
Cumae is pretty close to the German border, as well is Berlin. I cannot speak for Berlin but I'm fine with shifting production in Cumae from a bank to catapults.

Joe Harker
Aug 03, 2007, 07:21 AM
Please don't put building cats front of building important infrastructure, but if you do get a bit of free building time, then cats would be helpful! :)

fed1943
Aug 03, 2007, 09:25 AM
My bad, it looks I wasn't clear (English).
Berlin is a GPfarm with good commerce output,too.
So, it do not want to build cats or other military. Same for Xanadu, as is commercial. Cologne just begins, needs time, later can build everything.
Munich is a great military city; shall build granary and barracks. Within 4
turns shall begin to build military units (the ones that Warlord requests) and
so remain the whole month of August.
(Some people in Munich wanted their bank to change coin to play on their slot
machines when they leave work in barracks, but interests of the Empire speak
louder). And that beautiful silk just fits with Cumae.
I do hope that between powerful Munich and the Heroic City we can build
all of our troops.
In awhile the other cities do what they can do better.
Best regards,

dutchfire
Aug 03, 2007, 11:49 AM
Remember to build macemen with Cover/City Raider promotions, and catapults with double collateral. Knights are not that important now.

It's technically better not to promote your units until they're actually ready to fight so you know precisely which promotion to chose.

Provolution
Aug 03, 2007, 01:49 PM
That depends on your forecast, short or near. I hardly miss on my forecasts, shame some people attack me preemptively before looking on the plan.

DaveShack
Aug 03, 2007, 06:47 PM
It's technically better not to promote your units until they're actually ready to fight so you know precisely which promotion to chose.

That depends on your forecast, short or near. I hardly miss on my forecasts, shame some people attack me preemptively before looking on the plan.

I have to agree with dutchfire on this one, having all cover when the defenders are 25% melee 75% archery is inefficient, compared to waiting to choose the type specific promotion until you know the defender's composition. Even deferring the raider promo can be a good idea, in case a particular unit gets the opportunity to whack on the odd unit outside a city.

It's also good to keep that last promotion in reserve in case the defender bombards the turn(s) before the attack, to get the partial healing from the promotion.

grant2004
Aug 03, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm going to agree with Dave and Dutchfire here, I hadn't known this strategy before the DG, however I've tried it in a few games and it has turned out well for me in situations where the enemy does not have a counterattacking force, exactly the situation we're facing with Germany. Even if your forecast is dead on there will be no detriment from waiting on the promotions of some of our units, if this forecast is even slightly off this idea, of waiting on promotions, will have a benefit to us.

On a side note I do not believe that Dutchfire was attacking you, all I see is an alternative suggestion.

ordinaryguy
Aug 04, 2007, 12:15 AM
Please don't put building cats front of building important infrastructure, but if you do get a bit of free building time, then cats would be helpful! :)

Coppertown has too much free building time :) It can build the cats.

Provolution
Aug 04, 2007, 04:10 AM
The Germans have only longbowmen left, this is why Cover would cut it for the Germans.

Joe Harker
Aug 04, 2007, 05:51 AM
Well, better safe than sorry. Theres no point promoting units until that promotion is needed. :)

dutchfire
Aug 07, 2007, 01:36 PM
So, declare war immediately in the next TC and beat up the Germans?

Joe Harker
Aug 07, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, i need to look at the save, but if everything goes to plan then yes, declare war as soon as the TC starts.

DaveShack
Aug 07, 2007, 06:03 PM
The summary for the just-completed session seems to say that troops might not be fully positioned yet. If not, then maybe some movement turns first.

Hyronymus
Aug 08, 2007, 01:23 AM
The summary for the just-completed session seems to say that troops might not be fully positioned yet. If not, then maybe some movement turns first.
Why not merge this idea with the special gameplay session to play until the GP is known?!

dutchfire
Aug 08, 2007, 01:31 PM
Current units on the border (we can get in 3 additional knights (munich and Neapolis IIRC) and 1 maceman to the tartar group in time).

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5943/dortmundwy9.th.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dortmundwy9.jpg)
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7830/frankfurtan5.th.jpg (http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frankfurtan5.jpg)
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/6968/tartarfn0.th.jpg (http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tartarfn0.jpg)

I think it's best to attack Tartar and Frankfurt first, and then join forces to attack and raze Dortmund. BTW Joe, you should set up raze/keep polls for these three cities.

Joe Harker
Aug 08, 2007, 03:56 PM
I agree that we should attack tartar and frankfurt first.

Setting up the polls now.

dutchfire
Aug 12, 2007, 07:17 AM
Move 1 knight from Munich to Tartar.
Move Knight3 from Berlin to Tartar.
Send Caravel1 due northwest.
Send Caravel2 due northeast.
Send 3. Stormer Infantery (near city#1) to Bremen.

Take Frankfurt first, then move the units north to take Tartar, then move the stack north to take Bremen and then north to take Dortmund.

Joe Harker
Aug 12, 2007, 09:11 AM
Sounds good!

someone needs to post instructions while i am away (13th to 22nd), the obivious choice is provolution since he is my deputy.

Provolution
Aug 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
If I was in charge here, we would be taking two cities at a time, but that is my humble opinion. Sending a singular stack around is a tad too slow.

Hyronymus
Aug 12, 2007, 05:28 PM
Move 1 knight from Munich to Tartar.
Move Knight3 from Berlin to Tartar.
Send Caravel1 due northwest.
Send Caravel2 due northeast.
Send 3. Stormer Infantery (near city#1) to Bremen.

Take Frankfurt first, then move the units north to take Tartar, then move the stack north to take Bremen and then north to take Dortmund.
But I already moved units into German territory to take Tartar and I don't see why we shouldn't try to attack 2 cities simultaneously either.

grant2004
Aug 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
Taking two cities at once is the better path, we only have one catapult near the northern German city, if my memory serves me, so it may take a bit longer to capture that city allowing for reinforcements from the south. But if we can take both cities quickly that's the way to go.

dutchfire
Aug 13, 2007, 03:00 AM
I thought the stacks were still a bit small. Of course, we don't know exactly what's inside Tartar, but if it's well defended, I doubt the stack already there will be enough.

Hyronymus
Aug 13, 2007, 03:36 AM
I thought the stacks were still a bit small. Of course, we don't know exactly what's inside Tartar, but if it's well defended, I doubt the stack already there will be enough.
Probably not but we can annoy the Germans anyhow.

dutchfire
Aug 13, 2007, 03:37 AM
Sure, I'm all for annoying Germans :D
My thoughts were to move the stack that's near Tartar next to the city, but wait for other troops before attacking the city itself.

Provolution
Aug 13, 2007, 03:52 AM
You can attack the city in a couple of pulses, if need be.

dutchfire
Aug 13, 2007, 04:17 AM
You can attack the city in a couple of pulses, if need be.

That's horribly inefficient though, as you'll give the defenders time to heal and experience that they might use to get city garrison promotions.

Provolution
Aug 13, 2007, 04:30 AM
It all depends how it is done. this was not a strategy, but more a risk assessment.

To be a bit Scholar-like. When you kill a few units in a city, but would like to heal your assault force, you may well delay the attack a few turns. No one gets city garrison promotions, and quite possibly, another unskilled longbowman may be built.

No troops lost, no enemy promotions.

And you were the one moving on Berlin with a badly wounded stack.

Hyronymus
Aug 13, 2007, 06:42 AM
For heavens sake, can we stop this childish stuff for once and for all?

fed1943
Aug 13, 2007, 09:22 AM
Our stack going to Tartar - even if too little to attack it - is surely enough to
warrant that Frankfurt shall not be reinforced.
And that our workers can keep their tasks.
Then, after Frankfurt falls or our reinforcements arrive (what's first) Tartar.
Our sole problem is war weariness, mostly in former German cities.
Best regards,

Provolution
Aug 14, 2007, 03:57 PM
I resign from this office, which did not deliver 1/10 of that it promised in elections.

ordinaryguy
Aug 21, 2007, 02:45 AM
Warlords, please state the units wanted for the wars :)

Joe Harker
Aug 21, 2007, 04:14 AM
Looking at the save now!

Joe Harker
Aug 23, 2007, 11:04 AM
I am resigning from this office.

This is just because i am not able to give the time needed to run this office.

I am away for some of the end of term as well and have made quite a few mistakes with instructions, so i feel that someone with the time to do this properly should be in charge of the army.

I will still be posting and honour my DP duties.:)

grant2004
Aug 23, 2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry to see you resign Joe, since your deputy has also resigned I hope we get a chieftain soon so that a warlord can be appointed.

DaveShack
Aug 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
A wise but sad decision. Give what you can, and if it's not enough then open it to let someone else have their opportunity. :)

A citizen could do the job, and post "instructions" as advice to the DP even if no appointment is made. The draft instructions can also be polled which would give the citizen the right to post the poll results as an instruction.

Methos
Aug 23, 2007, 06:48 PM
I am resigning from this office.

This is just because i am not able to give the time needed to run this office.

It's totally understandable. To be honest I've been considering resigning myself. I decided against it when our Chieftain resigned, as I didn't want others to assume the arguments were that cause.

If I had a deputy or someone who wishes to take the position, they can have it. I'm doing a horrible job. :blush: